Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• Options
    chicagobuyer5chicagobuyer5 Member Posts: 5

brian 125 Really appreciate your advice on the Honda and the Forester. Will post my results.

• Options

brian 125, I purchased a 2015 Forester 2.5i premium with all weather pkg, all weather mats,,auto dim mirror compass,cargo tray. Price: $24490 includes destination + tax/title/reg + 166 doc fee. Decent deal?

• Options
    brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited September 2014

chicagobuyer5,

Good job....................... you will be very happy with this vehicle.

what dealer did you purchase from??

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• Options

Bought from Roto Subaru/Mazda in Arlington Hts., Libertyville Subaru internet dept gave a similar price but went with Roto because they had the Forester color I wanted -dark gray. And the three extra options on the car were a value to me.

• Options
    crvrc10crvrc10 Member Posts: 1

Hi

Just bought last week end CRV EXL AWD 28 564 out of the door ( all taxes and fees included)
    Great Car ! Does my price a good one?
    State : PA

• Options
    yj11yj11 Member Posts: 2
    Regarding Subaru Forester:

I almost brought a 2015 Forester but ended with a 2014 CRV AWD EX-L with Navigation. There were two reasons that had my mind changed: 1) It burns engine oil and the amount of oil consumed might be excessive for some owners such that oil needed to be added between oil changes. 2) Its maintenance cost will be higher due to less popularity and a lot of the repair jobs are limited to the dealerships only.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    yj11 said:

Regarding Subaru Forester:

I almost brought a 2015 Forester but ended with a 2014 CRV AWD EX-L with Navigation. There were two reasons that had my mind changed: 1) It burns engine oil and the amount of oil consumed might be excessive for some owners such that oil needed to be added between oil changes. 2) Its maintenance cost will be higher due to less popularity and a lot of the repair jobs are limited to the dealerships only.

I disagree. Once the warranty is up why would you bring back the vehicle to dealership. Buy any parts.... brakes, rotors or whatever Online and have a reputable service shop or mechanic due the repair at a fraction of the cost.

I have helped 6 people buy Forester's the last 2 years and one family member. Never heard of a oil problem. The 2015 is new and improved vehicle that is on par or better than the CRV. Consumer Reports has this new 2015 model top rated and best in class .

Again what you choose is up to you with what vehicle suits you best.

• Options
    rcld3rcld3 Member Posts: 39
    Any thoughts about how far below invoice I can expect in KY on a 2wd CR-V EXL? I think I really want to lease rather than buy but sounds like it all starts with negotiating a sales price first. I don't want to start my emails with a number that is too high. Should I say right away that I'm looking to lease or just worry about agreeing on a price?
  • Options
    One more thought to add to my previous post: I also have trade in which may complicate the email negotiations process. Can I just tag that on to reduce the amount financed after we reach an agreed price? It's not worth much
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    rcld3,

First thing I would do is post in the Accord leasing Forum to get the correct leasing numbers on your model..................... Find out what your vehicle trade in is worth @KBB.com, @Edmunds or @Nada pricing. .. Expect to take a loss there............................................ THEN:

Round up your best offer prices from 3 or 4 of the closest dealerships to you. go down to each dealership and see what kind of trade number they will offer. If dealer 1 gives a very low offer go to dealer 2 and so on.

Any money received from your trade in will be deducted off the vehicle selling price thus reducing your sales tax on the new purchase.

• Options
    thanks. I have the lease numbers from the CRV leasing forum...assuming they haven't changed since beginning of this week. I also went ahead a got a Camax offer on my trade in which actually came in about where I thought it would but below the numbers on kbb and edmunds so worst case scenario I can just sell to them and use the cash. BUT, I'd prefer to see if i can leverage a tradein price for a few extra hundred and a sales tax savings directly with the dealer. I'm still not clear though on whether I mention leasing vs buying right away with my emails? or is it better just to say we will make a deal with a dealer who meets or exceeds our requested price of XXXX ? Advice? Do you think starting with a sales price of $26000 on a 2wd CRV EXL in Kentucky is the right sales price to pitch in my emails or should I aim lower? MSRP w Destination 28,700. Thanks
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Invoice price on the CRV, exl 2wd, = 26,164 plus 830 dest/ charge= 26,994.

Your target price to buy is 1500 to 2k below this number of 26,994

There is a 750 dealer cash back on lease or financed vehicles

Dealer Cash

Requirements and Restrictions:
    •Dealer Cash is available towards leasing or retail purchases. Can be combined with Honda Financial Services APR Financing, special Lease offers or Military Appreciation offer.

$750 09/03/2014 11/03/2014

A target price of 1500 to 2000 below invoice is what you should be shooting for.
    1st 750 dollars is a freebee from the Honda corp.

There is no harm starting pricing higher.. If your Area wont sell that low then you raise your price to make the sale .

• Options
    Thanks for all the numbers. I appreciate it. Do I mention to the internet managers that I want to lease v buy in the initial communications or wait until i get an agreed to sales price?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    In your case to be direct and get the dealers correct leasing numbers right away will make deal quicker. but stress to each dealership that a certain price closes the deal that moment. If you had no trade in I would say don't specify yet.

• Options
    newride95newride95 Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2014

Hi brian125 and everyone, im from NJ. this is my 1st post. I was offered $1263 below invoice for a '14 CRV awd EXL with Nav. Dest. 830, doc 399, dmv 296. TOTAL = 30995. This will be my 1st buy..can you please advise how can i get the great deal or what will be my target OTD..many thanks.

• Options
    newride95
    your offer of 1263 below invoice is really 864 below once you take the NJ dealers high doc fee charge of 399 into consideration. If you already include the doc fee into the 1263 below price that puts you close to the 1500 below invoice price you are looking to achieve in NJ.

Double click on my user name @brian125 then click on my 2719 comments. read thru my prior postings on tips and tricks how to get the best possible price then apply it. Any questions you have after reading some of the buying posts just ask be glad to help.

• Options
    llzhllzh Member Posts: 2
    @brian125
    Hi brian125, thanks for the excellent information provided. I am in the Buffalo area, looking for a '14 CR-V EX (or an EX-L) AWD. Tried to use your tactic to solicit dealer responses. Had tough luck getting responses. Went to a local dealer, was able to negotiate a price of $24,000 (including des.) for the EX. not bad. Told the sales rep. we need to think about it. Emailed the price (just a number) we got to regional dealers (including two in Rochester and one in PA) , got two responses telling me that they couldn't match. Never got email responses from any Buffalo dealers. What would be your suggestion next? Should I wait till close to the end of the month? I do have a friend looking to buy the same car, can that be used as a leverage? Thanks.
  • Options
    what do you think about the sales prices in these deals?

Negotiations in full swing. Folks are quoting both AWD and 2wd based on their inventory. Best 2WD sales price so far $26,093 (msrp 28700). Have confirmed correct mf and rv for each car. payments on this intially $325 w 325 at signing (now saying best she can do is 319/0 and zero down but she didnt tell me new sales price..waiting for that detail). All taxes, fees, title included.

Best AWD offer I haves so far is Sales price $27,000 ($329/mo, 1st month paid by Honda, 0 down, all taxes, title, registration included). WIll take these emails to my local dealer today to see if he will beat. Also waiting to hear more, I've let everyone know they have to beat these sales prices and monthlys with all fees included. What do you think about the numbers. In KY. MSRP on AWD: 29950.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    llzh said:

@brian125
    Hi brian125, thanks for the excellent information provided. I am in the Buffalo area, looking for a '14 CR-V EX (or an EX-L) AWD. Tried to use your tactic to solicit dealer responses. Had tough luck getting responses. Went to a local dealer, was able to negotiate a price of $24,000 (including des.) for the EX. not bad. Told the sales rep. we need to think about it. Emailed the price (just a number) we got to regional dealers (including two in Rochester and one in PA) , got two responses telling me that they couldn't match. Never got email responses from any Buffalo dealers. What would be your suggestion next? Should I wait till close to the end of the month? I do have a friend looking to buy the same car, can that be used as a leverage? Thanks.

There is no leverage with dealers unless you and your friend buy the vehicle the same day. dealer must have both vehicles in stock. So this could work to your advantage.

Go back and read this board the last 2 months. There were 2 posters who made deals up in Buffalo / Rochester area. Read my postings and apply how I go about buying. You need to negotiate thru month till the very end.

Your area's CRV pricing is one of the worst in the country. With many dealerships sticking together thru the first 3 weeks of every month. Extend your buying search to the 3 big dealers in Albany.

• Options
    llzhllzh Member Posts: 2
    brian125, ok, thanks. Will keep negotiating till the end of the month.
  • Options
    miles2014miles2014 Member Posts: 5
    Hi brian125, I am planning to buy a new 2014 Honda CRV EX-AWD. I live in Chicago and asked quotes from 5 honda dealers and so far the best quote that I got is $26,967(no add-ons) which is already my out the door price. Is this already a good deal? I am planning to buy this week.
  • Options
    Tell us what your vehicle selling price is. Does this price include the 830 dest / charge?

What are the dealers Doc fee charge?

Your models EX awd invoice is 24,853 plus the 830 dest / charge = 25,683

• Options
    Thanks for your reply Brian! The vehicle price 2014 CRV EX-AWD that the dealer quoted me is $23,349. I am still waiting for his email regarding the quote's breakdown. I know that Chicago is one of the state that has high sales tax. I will get back to you on the details. Thanks again and have a nice week ahead.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    miles2014,

Your deal is at 1500 below dealers invoice. if the dest / charge of 830 is already added to the 23,349 you have a very good deal on the table.

I don't need your out the door price. Your taxes are state regulated and there is nothing you could do about that.

All you need is dealers doc fee charge. minus that offer you 1500 below invoice price.

This gives you the true selling price of the vehicle.

• Options
    Thank you very much Brian. I learned a lot of tips on buying new car just from the internet especially here in your forum. It's really a big help for newbies like me. This will be my first car and I want to get a good deal. I did my research and I'm haggling thru email so it won't be that stressful. Will keep you posted tomorrow once I got the emails from the dealers. :)
  • Options
    Don't rush negotiate right to the end of the month if you have to. By you negotiating online via emails and calls is a lot less stressful than going in and out of dealerships trying to get pricing out of them.

• Options
    joemillerjoemiller Member Posts: 3
    Greetings-
    Just wanted to relay to those contemplating purchasing a new 2014 Honda CRV LX 2WD in South Florida. On 09-14-14 I purchased a CRV LX from South Motors in Miami. The internet department was most helpful. They were not pushy and over the phone they provided me with a “good price”. After a little negotiation and a visit, they provided me with a great price and naturally I purchased the vehicle from them. The transaction went smoothly and their price was the lowest in South Florida. The total out the door price including all taxes, fees, tag transfer and documentary fees was exactly 23,000. Also I used as payment Honda’s “free” .9 % interest for 60 months. I strongly suggest using South Motors for your next Honda purchase.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited September 2014
    Congrats @joemiller! What was the price before taxes and fees?
  • Options
    I agree Brian, negotiating thru email and phone is less stressful. Here's my best quote breakdown for a new 2014 Honda CRV EX-AWD.

Selling price 23,349.00
    Destination charge 830.00
    Doc. fee 167.00
    Sales tax 2,300.00
    New plates 221.00
    Total 26,967.00

Is this a good deal? I asked one of my dealer and he said this is an aggressive pricing and can't match it. I might keep on negotiating till the end of the month if that's what it takes to get a good deal.
  • Options
    Your deal is on the lower end of a good target price. You have nothing to lose negotiating thru this month.. Worst case make the 23,349 deal

• Options
    @ stever-
    23,000 was the total price paid for EVERYTHING.
  • Options
    joemiller said:

@ stever-
    23,000 was the total price paid for EVERYTHING.

Right, but fees and taxes here are different from your area. That's why it's nice to know what the price of the car was before taxes and fees - makes it easier for people to compare notes. Thanks!

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Post this info if your looking to see if you made a good deal .

Agreed selling price, Was the destination charge included in that selling price? What was dealer's doc fee charge. This is how we breakdown if you received a good deal or not.

OTD pricing is only good for buyers comparing pricing in your state.

This would be a perfect example. I bought a 2012 BMW, X-5, for 62k OTD.

Is anyone able to tell me if I got a good deal???????????....No

I never disclose my states tax rate, Dmv charges, or dealers doc fee charge. Was there any added accessories to this deal. How much did I pay.

This is why a lot of posts go unanswered. Don't be lazy read thru these boards to find out pricing, dealer information, etc before posting.

• Options
    @stever-
    vehicle 2014 new crv lx 2wd base model 20788.04
    tire / battery fee 6.05
    Florida sales tax 1339.61
    Registration fee ( tag ) 84.35
    documentation fee 2.00
    other official fee ( ? ) 80.50
    dealer fee 699.00
    total ( out the door )
  • Options
    surfinpenguinsurfinpenguin Member Posts: 18
    Hey everyone. Been reading lots of posts here. Learning a lot. This is my first post and am a newbie to car buying. Looking to purchase a 2014 Honda CR-V EX-L with Navigation in the DC metro/Northern VA area. I added a bunch of options on Honda's site. They are listed below:

Wheel Locks
    Crossbars
    Bike Attachment-Roof Mount
    Running Boards
    Splash Guard Set
    Body Side Molding
    All Season Floor Mats
    Cargo Tray
    Automatic-Dimming Mirror
    Remote Engine Start System
    Back-Up Sensors

what type of OTD pricing should I be looking at? I have emailed a bunch dealers and most are at 30K or higher. One dealer is at $28500 VA OTD. Supposedly this includes all fees. I have asked for a breakdown of pricing but am still waiting.
    Can anyone offer some advice please.
    Thanks
  • Options
    It is an AWD that I am looking at
  • Options
    @joemiller, thanks again and congrats!
  • Options
    brettnolanbrettnolan Member Posts: 1
    stayghost said:

Hey guys bought a car today but wanted to share some of my experience to help people in the future. Was looking in MASSCHUSETTS for a CRV-EXL

• FOLLOW-UP: Emailed 15 Dealers, got response from 4. Had to call and pry to get the rest. Do your follow-up.Some had my email in spam filter, some use a different email and some just hadn't responded yet and gave me a quote by phone.
    • MAKE THEM AWARE OF THEIR COMPETITION: After collecting and pushing all quotes, best initial deal was $1950 below invoice ($26,200). During the process when they would give me quotes I would tell them what my current lowest was ( sandbagged a couple hundred less) and ask if they can make it worth while for me to travel by beating it. Some took a swing, some said they couldn't, a few old school small town dealerships got almost "angry" lol.
    • PUSH MORE: Mid afternoon I told everyone that I was going to buy in a bit, and told them where they stood in comparison to the best quote so far. This had them making better and better deals and coming back. I gave them my very low number and said this gets it done right now ... they can't hit it, so I say how close can you get so I come down and buy within the hour? A few dealerships responded. One near me said they were trying to make a month number and doing deals at steep discounts so would beat my best deal by $200 dollars and throw in a years service. Deal now is $26000. Sent out an email telling everyone I'm leaving my house to do this deal for $26000 and if they can make it worth my while to detour and travel let me know within the hour before I sign and I'm taken off the market. Got an email response ... $25,875 incl dest if I get it done today by 6. This place was a haul though. So I call back the closer place trying to hit a number and tell them the deal I was just offered. They tell me they will beat that deal by $100 and give the service if I go to them. So I contact another dealership which is the closest to me and tell them that "so and so down the street is giving me $25,750 and service"... they agree to match.
    • NOT DONE YET: At this point I keep saying what can you give me to take my business away from them etc? and they are throwing in goodies and freebies. At the end of the day I had multiple dealership options willing to sell to me for $25,750 ($2,415 under invoice) for the Honda EXL AWD Automatic.
    • MOST WILLING TO DEAL: These were my findings, but I;m sure it changes month to month depending where they are vs. bonus and goals: Kelly Honda, Bernardi Honda (Natick), Herb Chambers (Westborough), Honda Cars of Boston, Boch Honda

stayghost, 

This is impressive. I too am in MA and trying to make a final decision between a 2015  2.5i Limited Forester and the 2014 EX-L CR-V. There are pluses and minuses to both. I currently have a 2007 Forester and the wind noise is super load on the highway and 2015 doesn't sound all that better. 

Going to test drive the CR-V again tomorrow to get a feel for it on the highway.  

Which dealership did you end up going through?  

• Options
    @stayghost‌

Is your CR-V an AWD or FWD? Did you get Navi or Res? any options?
    Thanks
  • Options
    cutterbobcutterbob Member Posts: 8
    @surfinpenguin,
    If you can get this deal with all your add-ons for $28,500 OTD, I believe it's very good price.
    I would run and get this.

Hey everyone. Been reading lots of posts here. Learning a lot. This is my first post and am a newbie to car buying. Looking to purchase a 2014 Honda CR-V EX-L with Navigation in the DC metro/Northern VA area. I added a bunch of options on Honda's site. They are listed below:

Wheel Locks
    Crossbars
    Bike Attachment-Roof Mount
    Running Boards
    Splash Guard Set
    Body Side Molding
    All Season Floor Mats
    Cargo Tray
    Automatic-Dimming Mirror
    Remote Engine Start System
    Back-Up Sensors

what type of OTD pricing should I be looking at? I have emailed a bunch dealers and most are at 30K or higher. One dealer is at $28500 VA OTD. Supposedly this includes all fees. I have asked for a breakdown of pricing but am still waiting.
    Can anyone offer some advice please.
    Thanks

• Options
    @cutterbob‌

Thanks. I am stll waiting to see if this is a bait and switch price or just a price to get me in the door. To be honest, I don't have time to waste with these guys.

@brian125‌

I am curious as to your thoughts because you have some great and informative input.

thanks
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    surfinpenguin ,

AWD or Fwd model? You did not list.

What is the dealers selling you this vehicle for? Does price include dest/ charge.

• Options
    @brian125‌

It is a AWD. According to the dealer, this includes everything. OTD price. I asked for a breakdown so I know how they got this price but am still waiting on a reply.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Go to @cheaphondaparts and @Collegehills.com. Write down all the prices for your items and make dealer match or beat. Take the lowest price from either site. They are not the dealers real invoice prices on accessories, So if dealer cant match or beat prices below buy online.

here is a example

Splash guards.............. @collegehills list for $69............ Cheaphonda lists for $77

Body side molding ..........College ................$162................. Cheap ...................159

Remote start , bike attachments, and Running boards not listed. Surf around the net for better pricing than have dealer match or beat.

I cant comment on your deal. Dealer has put all charges and fees together. Get a breakdown of every item and charge that totals that price. If dealer wont.............. walk away

• Options
    CONT-,

Your buying in a very well priced state one of the best outside of MD.

your models AWD w/ nav invoice price is.... 28,738
    dest/ charge........................................................830
    total ......................................................................................

..........................................................................29,568

My target price in your area would start at 2k below this number then adding onto that all your accessories. This will give you a ideal of where a good or bad deal lies.

• Options
    @brian125‌

thanks. will do more research
    is it worth it to get all the options I am requesting?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Nothing wrong with any of those listed accessories. Splash and running boards, always make vehicles look sharper. Engine start is also a great feature in the morning or in snow belt/ colder states. This is your hard earned money. Spend it on the items you like.

If dealer wants full msrp on a lot of these items then consider....... buy online vs dealer price.

good luck

• Options
    edited September 2014
    @surfinpenguin, "worth" may not translate into more money at trade-in. Like @brian125 says, get the options because you think you'll enjoy them. Most options don't add a lot of value to a car when you sell it but they may help the car sell faster.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. This helps a lot
This discussion has been closed.