Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently bought a new car and completed the purchase entirely online? A reporter would like to speak to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 5/28 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

U.S. Auto Market News and Reviews

1363738394042»

Comments

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 11,974
    In the end, who cares who did what or offered what, the point is to get more ventilators up and running in this country.

Anachronism I know, but I like 'everybody does their part'.

On another subject, I saw Gulf gas for $1.29 here yesterday. Wow.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 24,642
    So you still have Gulf brand stations? They disappeared long ago here. That was the first brand for which I got a credit card when I started working.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

The one in town is the only one I'm aware of in the area. They're usually less than other brands, but they're REALLY less now! Their pumps are ancient; have to go inside to use a card LOL.

Remember "Good Gulf" and "No Nox"? LOL
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 146,113

So you still have Gulf brand stations? They disappeared long ago here. That was the first brand for which I got a credit card when I started working.

My first gas credit card was Union 76 - which was on my parents account, but they allowed me to take it to Arizona when I moved there for college.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 4,998
    Honda is offering some programs....

https://automobiles.honda.com/covid-19

"....If you're a Honda Financial Services Account Holder:

Available Hardship Help: Payment extensions and deferrals, as well as late fee waivers are available. For more information, please visit HondaFinancialServices.com. We appreciate your patience as we are experiencing high call volumes.

If you need to purchase a new or used vehicle right now, we can help make it easier:

90 Days to First Payment Program: 90-Day Deferred Payment on new vehicle sales financed by Honda Financial Services for qualified customers*
    Loyalty Purchase Assistance Cash: $1,000 toward the purchase or lease of a new Honda model (certain exclusions apply)
    Certified Pre-owned Vehicle Special APRs:
    Honda: Civic, Accord and CR-V from April 17, 2020 to June 1, 2020"
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    edited March 30
    I guess I didn't necessarily mean retail customer offers, but ventilators, etc.--production items useful in this battle. Maybe the need isn't there besides GM, I don't know.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 36,948
    at some point they will crank out so many that hospitals won't have room to store all the extras once the wave subsides!

I do think that once the crisis is past, and they do a lessons learned, there is a real focus on rethinking medical equipment and PPEs. More reusable and less one time and toss it away PPE. And ventilators, seems inefficient to have them all be bulky individual units. Seems like there should be a central air supply and just a hose that connects to an outlet at every bed with some controls on the wall (isn't that how oxygen is delivered now?). Kinda like a central vacuum in a house! can still have some portable units for back up duty and using at odd locations.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD (wife's)

Heard this evening that Ford is in for 40,000 ventilators.
    its a start. but those will get snapped up quick.

• andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 11,553
    Is it just me, as if I needed a ventilator, I probably wouldn't want one Chrysler made, as both the ventilator and the person using it will probably die if they were relying upon it.
    '16 Audi TTS quattro 2.0T, '15 Audi A4 quattro 2.0T, '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion AWD 2.0T
    Let me guess--you had a bad Neon in the '90's! :)

Let me guess--you had a bad Neon in the '90's! :)

Bad

Defined by Webster as "unfavorable." That's not going to cut it.

Lets go with these two words to more accurately describe that Neon:

Definition of Horrible:

2: extremely bad or unpleasant
    a horrible mistake
    horrible food

Definition of terrible:

1: extremely bad: such as
    a: notably unattractive or objectionable
    terrible behavior
    b: of very poor quality
    a terrible movie
    '16 Audi TTS quattro 2.0T, '15 Audi A4 quattro 2.0T, '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion AWD 2.0T
    I've read they're better now, but ironically, Audis don't seem to have been known for bulletproof reliability. :)
    Photo evidence of $1.29 gas. I'd have been skeptical without seeing it myself.

• fintailfintail Posts: 50,307
    I don't know if any car ages faster than an A8.

On the respirator talk, I don't know about MB using its US facilities for anything yet, But the F1 group isn't just building ventilators, but helping to design alternatives

I've read they're better now, but ironically, Audis don't seem to have been known for bulletproof reliability. :)

So far though nothing of companies in the US helping produce masks, gowns, ventilators.

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 152,514

So far though nothing of companies in the US helping produce masks, gowns, ventilators.

General Motors?

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited March 31
    General Motors and Ford have already been participating. I was looking for the foreign
    companies that make and sell cars here doing something that contributes to supplying
    necessary equipment, that some areas need in the way of medical support.

I was adding to the thread that was saying where are the foreign manufacturers helping.
    I should have been clear on GM, Ford.

Fiat/Chrysler??? Where are they fitting?

General Motors and Ford have already been participating. I was looking for the foreign
    companies that make and sell cars here doing something that contributes to supplying
    necessary equipment, that some areas need in the way of medical support.

Ah... gotcha

Edmunds Moderator

Not seeing anyone innovating, too.

Maybe we can wait for their reasoning, or for a certain mouth to chirp at them (a shame Barra didn't clap back).
    It’s not that simple to just start making a new product in a car factory. Ford is working with GE medical, who already does this stuff.

I liked seeing a few reports that companies like GE/Ford and Dyson were not just making the same old style, but coming out with more modern/efficient/better designs.

edited April 3
    With such an apparent shortage of ventilators, I do wonder why the foreign makers here aren't making them...old-style or not. I do wonder if those companies aren't considered U.S. corporations, so the war production act can't affect them. I have no idea.
    It can’t be that easy to convert production though.

At some point, when this is over, there is going to be one heck of a glut of those things. I hope at least this crisis leads to some breakthroughs on the technology.

I just think "If GM and Ford can do it, why can't the others?".
    On a tangent, I know I'm sick of "We're here for you" commercials from companies who are still trying to sell stuff.
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 146,113
    stickguy said:

It can’t be that easy to convert production though.

At some point, when this is over, there is going to be one heck of a glut of those things. I hope at least this crisis leads to some breakthroughs on the technology.

The Mercedes F1 team has developed a so-called "improved" ventilator - supposedly in just 100 hours:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/mercedes-amg-f1-ventilator-cpap-covid-19/

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

I thought time of getting into production was of the essence....like, yesterday. But any offer of production is good.

I just think "If GM and Ford can do it, why can't the others?".

Good article about some of the stuff GM had to do, to get the ventilator thing going:
    https://www.heraldnet.com/business/the-incredibly-challenging-ventilator-effort-by-ventec-gm/

And, yes, they were doing all of this, before the BS about them dragging their feet.

Edmunds Moderator

Supposedly GM balked at the price at first, but an agreement was made. And as you know, I'm pro-GM.

Supposedly GM balked at the price at first, but an agreement was made. And as you know, I'm pro-GM.

I can list about 10 more articles that say that isn't the case. (take that for what it's worth). At no time, did GM slow their process. It sounds more like the government couldn't make up their mind how many they wanted, and them FEMA jumped in and said they didn't like the price. Even on the day they administration announced they were invoking the act (which, I'm not sure they actually did), GM was gearing up to manufacture the ventilators.

Go back three weeks, even before GM was actually planning on doing the manufacturing themselves, they leveraged their supplier network to get Ventec more raw parts, so that Ventec could make more units. (Hi, this is GM. Can you make these parts for Ventec, so that you can keep making parts for GM, once this is over? Great, thought you'd see it that way).

From the reporting I've seen, GM and their suppliers have been treating this like the life or death crisis that it is.

Google: gm ventec suppliers

There are some truly inspiring accounts, that will make you proud to be an American. :)

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

I can list about 10 more articles that say that isn't the case. (take that for what it's worth). At no time, did GM slow their process. It sounds more like the government couldn't make up their mind how many they wanted, and them FEMA jumped in and said they didn't like the price. Even on the day they administration announced they were invoking the act (which, I'm not sure they actually did), GM was gearing up to manufacture the ventilators.

Go back three weeks, even before GM was actually planning on doing the manufacturing themselves, they leveraged their supplier network to get Ventec more raw parts, so that Ventec could make more units. (Hi, this is GM. Can you make these parts for Ventec, so that you can keep making parts for GM, once this is over? Great, thought you'd see it that way).

From the reporting I've seen, GM and their suppliers have been treating this like the life or death crisis that it is.

Google: gm ventec suppliers

There are some truly inspiring accounts, that will make you proud to be an American. :)
    When it comes to GM, I think they should give exactly $11.3 Billion dollars worth of ventilators to America for free.

https://projects.propublica.org/bailout/entities/233-general-motors

That's what they stiffed us during the bailouts, in pure accounting terms.

Full Disclosure: I'm not pro-GM.

If you add GMAC, it looks like we were stiffed another 600 Million Dollars!

If you add GMAC Mortgage, LLC then add anotehr 310 million unpaid back dollars!

How many companies is GM responsible for? Does anyone have a list? By the way, they changed the name of GMAC to Ally Financial so that newborns wouldn't make the connection to being stiffed.
    edited April 3
    And where are Toyota and Honda and Hyundai in the list of companies producing for needs here? Reasonable question. I'd ask about Audi and VW, but off the top of my head, anyway, I'm thinking they don't build here. Not sure about that though.

And where are Toyota and Honda and Hyundai in the list of companies producing for needs here? Reasonable question. I'd ask about Audi and VW, but off the top of my head, anyway, I'm thinking they don't build here. Not sure about that though.

VW has a plant in Chattanooga. They make Passats, and something else. Atlas?

Edmunds Moderator

I wonder what MB and BMW are doing so far - both AL and SC remain with heads in the sand and don't have any stay at home orders (yet, AFAIK), so manpower shouldn't be a problem, and with slashed demand, there should be capacity. Might take some time to ramp up. They could probably also make masks. Maybe a credible credentialed leader in this crisis like Kushner can speed things up.
    I did catch a sound bite the other evening that said Honda was in production for needed COVID-19 items--I believe masks, not sure. In the interest of fairness and disclosure, thought I'd post that here.
    edited May 1
    Instead of Cash 4 Clunkers, or Tax Rebates for $85,000 electric cars, how about we just offer a tax refund check of $5,000 to any American that buys a new car in 2020; no strings attached. Any car of your choice, no matter what the product content origin, no matter where it was assembled, as long as it is sold on USA soil.
    If it’s retroactive to March, I am all for this plan!

Retroactive to 2019 and including leases too, please.

I did hear a rumor somewhere that someone is thinking of a new C4C.