Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Civic Si / SiR 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    We live up in the mountains, where we get snow/ice. The Civic, while handling some of it, was just too nerve wracking on the stuff.

The Wrangler has steel bumpers, so when she damages them, we can just buy easy replacements and bolt them on ourselves. Civic repairs for something like that would prove much more costly either for the parts/labor or for the long term insurance (I live in CA).

I had originally given her the Civic, but costs just made me rethink it.

Believe me, it hurt to get rid of my baby. It is the FIRST car I bought that I truly loved. I have cars in the garage now that I truly love, but the Si was the first.

-Paul
  • Options
    redsirredsir Member Posts: 34
    I am totally surprised by a howl at the top of the windshield. This of course is at 150 km. The vibration is enough to be felt with your hand from inside.

I had this on my 97 Civic but it was only minor, so I did not pursue it, (I read of a TSB to correct it). I am surprised Honda allowed this to re-occur.

Anyone had this repaired?

Anyway...still the best driving civic yet.
  • Options
    chibianhchibianh Member Posts: 6
    I haven't really noticed any excessive windshield wind noise from my Si hatcback. But then again, i'm always playing the music really loud. Speaking of music, is it just my Si, or does the tiny antenna suck at picking up radio stations? Of all my favorite local stations here, I can only seem to pick up two with a decent signal. My 95 civic didn't have this problem. My parents jeep and my brother's maxima picks up the other stations just fine.. If it is the antenna, any way to "improve" it so it can pick up the other stations?
  • Options
    alex1298alex1298 Member Posts: 8
    Hi folks,

I got my '03 Silver Si from Boston, MA 6/03. I know this sounds pathetic, but I JUST noticed over the weekend that my i_VTEC logo on the driver side is missing! I don't ever remember seeing it on that side. Frankly, I thought it was only on one side for ALL the Si until I saw another Si this weekend with the logo on both sides.

Is this something the dealer installs once they get the car? or is it put on at the factory? If it's just a cosmetic mistake, I don't really mind, but my paranoia is telling me perhaps the car needed a repair on that side and the dealer forgot to put the sticker back on?!

I hope someone can put my mind at ease! Thank you!

Al
  • Options
    dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    I have been thinking about adding an FM amplifier to the antenna. Honda claims the antenna is amplified from the factory, but somehow I doubt that it is. I got this FM amp from crutchfield, but have not installed it yet.

If you are missing the "i-VTEC" log on the driver's side from day one, chances are someone at the factory forgot to put it on, someone stole it either when the car was at the dealership or after you took delivery. The worst case scenario is that the car was damaged during shipping or on the lot and the body shop forgot to put the sticker back on.
  • Options
    hatch5hatch5 Member Posts: 27
    Anybody has info on 2004 SI ?
    Car & Driver says new look including 16 inch tires (must look a lot better!), but did not puts pictures nor detailed info. I saw pictures for SIR, but have not seen any for US SI.

I have a mixed feeling since I am planing to get 03 once 04 Sis arrive.
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    roundly criticized by the press for those small rims and tires when the car first came out, so I guess it was inevitable that the first update they did would include an upsize, but having driven this car several times now, I think it handles great with the 15 inchers.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    Radio reception has not been a concern. Of course I am in a high population area with lot of stations. I can drive an hour out of the city before any fade occurs.

I tend to play CD's more and more because of the sound quality. Is the answer XM from the big antenna in the sky? Monthly fees would bug be.

As for the MXV4 tires, great in summer. Very scary in winter with flat spotting when cold. What a disappointment. Snow tires this winter seems to be the way.
  • Options
    I seem to have the opposite observation. I came from a AWD CR-V that I had shod with YOkohama Avid T4's, they were great in the dry and wet, but as soon as it snowed, the "V" groove would fill up with snow and made driving very unnerving. I bought the Si in January, right before all those snow storms we got. I was very surprized how well the tires gripped in snow and slush. Now, summertime, I realize that they are not good summer tires. I can easily break them loose in 1st and 2nd gears, and lack of traction keeps setting off ABS during hard braking. I think I am going to end up replacing them with a winter and summer set. I really liked Yokohama's Spring, summer and fall handling, and probably get steel wheels with Blizzaks for winter. Just have to wait for one of those specials from tirerack.
  • Options
    Michelin x-ones on my 97 Ex were great. Smooth, no vibration, and outstanding in the wet. Twice the snow traction as the OEM tire. Even the ASB shut up. Also put them on my AWD Previa. What a snow machine!

Back to the Si. MXV4's, v rated, from UK are no no's here in the great white north. Touch of frost and whoohoooo. Summer only. Just as you described. 205/55-15's offer more choice. I don't think the electric steering will mind.

As for the snows. I will go with quiet one.
  • Options
    944s2944s2 Member Posts: 16
    Got it today from Honda Auto Center of Bellevue, WA. Invoice was $17821 and I paid $16,500 plus TTL. I had to haggle a bit to get this price, but I stood firm and they went for it. I think the 2004 Si will be a bit nicer car but most likely won't have the 1.9% financing and certainly won't sell for this low price. I have about 80 miles on the car now and like it a lot.

I bought this strictly as a work commuter to replace my trusty 178,000 mile '92 Si. I know this EP3 won't get the 33-37 mpg of the '92 but that's partially offset by the use of cheaper regular gas. My '92 would ping like crazy on anything but 92 octane. After I get some miles on the car I'll report my opinions. So far I'm sure I will like it. For those thinking of waiting on a 2003 until the 2004 Si gets here on November 3rd... the 2003s could be gone by then and the $1000 dealer cash back is only listed until 9/30, although that could certainly be extended.
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Don't forget to keep an eye on your oil for the first few thousand miles and make sure you put the car and gear and pull the brake up all the way when stopped on inclines. Otherwise just gas it and go.
  • Options
    dust90dust90 Member Posts: 169
    Bought a new, 2002 Si about a week ago. Love the car. Reminds me of my Nissan 200SX - SER. However, I miss not having a center armrest. Anyone know of where I could purchase one. I've done some searching and can find one for everything except the Si.

Thanks
  • Options
    I have posted info on armrests, but the hosts keep deleting it siting that no commmercial info should be posted here. I am just passing along the information. Also check out a website solely deicated to the new Si. Once again no links allowed, but our body code is EP and it is a hatch, hence -- ephatch.
    There are two types of arm rests out there. One that mounts to the center console and the other that mounts to the seat mounting bolts.

Good luck
  • Options
    dmoulddmould Member Posts: 76
    We previously owned a 2002 Civic Si Coupe, which my wife hit a deer with in December 2002. We traded the Civic in for a Focus SVT one month after the $8000 in damage was fixed on the Civic.
    We have a set of Dunlop Graspic DS-1 snow tires mounted on new black steel wheels for a Civic. These tires work very well, are fairly quiet, and have less than 2000km on them. I know this is not a sales forum, but send me a private email if interested.
  • Options
    mjg420mjg420 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2000 Si that needs new tires. I really like the Continental ContiExtremeContact which has gotten rave reviews but it comes in 205/55 15 instead of 195/55 15. The 205/55 15 is not a recommended size for the si (205/50 15 is) but I really like the tire. Would I be better off getting a lesser tire like the Yoko Avid in the recommended size or a superior tire like the Conti? Thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Does that mean no advertisements? Is a link an advertisement? What about a recommendation such as "Brand X makes a nice armrest for Civic Si"?
    Is post 2370 commercial info. for Continental and Yokohoma tires?
  • Options
    I would just get the 205/50s...Avid is a decent tire though. However, I have not seen the "Rave reviews" of the Continental.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    Check out Tirerack.com. All the reviews for the Conti's are very good. Out of 300 + reviews the average scores are all mid to high 8's out of 10. The thing that concerns me about the Avids are the questionable snow traction and the quick wear some have experienced. If the slightly inaccurate odometer and speedometer are the only issues I think I will go with the 205/55's. I appreciate the input.
  • Options
    which has as one of its strong points handling, you will be putting on a tire with a taller sidewall with the 205/55s, which will reduce the quality of the handling a little - just one perspective.

• Options
    How much difference does using a 205/55 instead of a 205/50 make? I know very little about such things so 5mm seems very nominal to me. I don't race my Si and it is basically a commuter car but I do want the best tire for my $$. Also, living in Chicago I need a good snow tire but I want an all-season so I dont have to switch tires every season.
  • Options
    I had Avid T4 on my CR-V and while it was an excellent wet/dry tire. It was horrible on packed snow. The "V" groove would fill up with snow and it was really slippery. As soon as the roads were salted and the packed snow tuned to mush, the tire was back to being excellent wet tire. It was much quieter over OEM Bridgestone that CR-V came with. But it had some side wall flex at stock air pressure (26 psi) I had bumped it up to 32 psi and it fixed the flex.
  • Options
    205/50 vs 205/55 is actually .05x205=10.25 extra mm of sidewall, and I guess how noticeable it is just depends on how critically you assess the car's handling. But the other thing it will do is increase the final drive ratio, which would impact a car like this, what with its relatively low torque output. Not to mention increase rolling resistance with the extra 10 mm of tread section vs stock.

All things to consider, that is all. The amount of difference it makes to you is going to depend on your standards of reference and how you drive the car. This car has a pretty good balance of comfort-through-the-potholes and handling sharpness in stock form. You should just be aware that by changing the tires you are adjusting that ratio.

• Options
    for your responses. I found this link:
    http://www.jdmcivic.com/jtuned/0403/sleeper.php

which has a 2000 Si with stock wheels and 205/55 tires. With all the other mods he has on it, I can't see the owner putting on a tire which would hurt performance.
  • Options
    of course he did major engine mods to increase power, so he isn't going to see decreased performance! :-P

• Options
    Looks like all the incentives on the 2003 Si ($1000 dealer cash and 1.9% financing) ended 9/30. For those that didn't take advantage of these perks to pick up an Si at a great price (I got mine for $16,500 two weeks ago), you are apparently SOL... unless Honda reinstates them of course :-)
  • Options
    Well .... we bought another SI. Glad to have one back in the driveway. Paid $11,700 + our 1997 Dakota with 73,000 miles. That includes fog lights, splash guards, mats, cargo net, and dealer fee. Also got the 1.9% on the last day .. whew.
  • Options
    muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    You bought a 2004? Congratulations!
    By the way, you guys are insane.
  • Options
    I don't think 2004's are out yet. I was told November as release date for 2004 Si. My dealer doesn't even have it in their parts computer.
  • Options
    No it was a 2003. Vivid Blue Pearl. Gee hasn't let me drive it yet ... guess I'll just have to start stealing it when I leave in the morning :)
  • Options
    Well, you got the best color, that's for sure. Did he sell the GS300? What about the Element?
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    I had grown to really hate that truck in the 3 months I owned it. Nothing wrong with it, I just don't think we are truck people. I still have the GS. I'm trying to work up the feeling to sell it. But I kinda like it. So I may take the slow approach and just put a couple signs in the window and wait. And wait. And wait. No autotrader for me. Nuh uh no way.

We test drove the Element. Hated it in the 4WD auto version. I can't explain why since we were on cloud nine about it earlier. Good thing they weren't dealing then or we would have been in trouble. Ended up trading the 03 EX-L coupe for a 04 EX-L sedan. The XM radio alone makes it worth the upgrade.

As for my new SI. I've only put 100 miles or so on it so far. I love being back in my little transportation module again. I'm not driving it til I get my flaps and fogs installed Monday. It doesn't feel "complete" to me yet. And to you Miss Anony keep your filthy mitts off my SI.
  • Options
    And to you gee ... you keep your even filthier paws off my XM radio.
  • Options
    What year Dakota was that?
    How many cars have you owned in the past 5 years?

I bought an AEM Cold Air Intake, DC Stainless Header, Magnaflow Cat-back, and Hondata Heatshield Gasket. I'm going to install them next saturday. Should be fun...
  • Options
    adrewadrew Member Posts: 5
    Hey, y'all. I just picked up a blue '03 Si last week and I love it. I'm probably gonna leave it stock for a while, except for the stereo...I'm not very satisfied with the factory speakers.

Have any of you replaced the front speakers with a decent component setup? I was a bit concerned with fit since Crutchfield seemed to recommend shallow-basket 6.5" coax speakers. Something that doesn't require a lot of power would be great, as I'd like to be able to use the factory headunit for a while.

I'd appreciate any recommendations...thanks in advance.

Thanks,
    Adam
  • Options
    We went through all our cars on the Mazda6 forum a while back. I think we counted well over 20 something. The Dakota was a 97.

Adrew. Great color. I got mine in that color Tuesday. Last day of the 1.9%. I'm kinda happy with my speakers actually. I'm going to upgrade to a Sony headunit with XM radio. After buying an 04 Accord with XM I find that's the only way to go.
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    and welcome to this discussion! We look forward to hearing more about your blue 03 Civic Si.... ;-)

gee35coupe & anonymousposts - Glad to have you back in this discussion as Civic Si owners again. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host of Hatchbacks & Wagons
  • Options
    Spent yesterday and the night before in our Si. I missed that car. It is the perfect car to get around town in.
  • Options
    si2002ownersi2002owner Member Posts: 26
    I agree, the stereo system is not good. I changed the stereo first to see what happens and the factory speakers are capable of doing much more so i don't think is necessary to change them. I choose a Premiere MP3 cd player, and a small bazooka amplified sub, and factory speakers, and it makes a BIG-BIG difference. When replacing stereo unit, choose one that has good ammount of audio settings such as High Pass, independent Sub control, and nice EQ. As for me I am very happy with Premiere (by Pioneer) and highly recomend, since it maches the center console of the car with the same color (or very similar).
  • Options
    Just thought I'd let everyone know there are options for floor mats other than the cheap, thin factory versions. I got a set of Lloyd mats in black with a red border from my normal Porsche parts supplier. They look very sharp and are much thicker and richer looking than the "Civic Si" mats the dealer sells. Price with shipping was $92.95.

Now that I have the required 600 miles on the new vivid blue toy I guess I need to go out and start hammering it :-) It does seem to run and shift smoother now that it's gone through a relatively easy break-in. I still like it quite a bit as a commuter, but will probably lower the stance with the Mugen sports suspension... it looks too much like a mini SUV as it is now. Ha, if my license plate wasn't already "SI" I'd go for "MINISUV"
  • Options
    Do the floor mats you got come with ancors to stop the mats from sldigin under the gas/brake/clutch pedals? By the way, online dealers and my dealer sell same "Si mats" for $60. I have had mine for 10 months now, and the "heel/toe" area is wearing down.
  • Options
    The mats I purchased have the two anchor "buttons" on the driver's side mat, but my car doesn't have any matching "posts" on the floor. Are these something that's included with the factory mats?
  • Options
    rivertownrivertown Member Posts: 928
    Yup, the anchors come in the box with the Honda Si mats. The install's easy DIY, but the dealer may just pitch em rather than take the time to put 'em in.
  • Options
    Like rivertown said the anchors come with factory mats. There are two cut out in the carpet under the front edge of the seat, and the anchors bolt into the floor pan. See if the holes on your mats line up with the stock anchor mounting locations. If they line up, then you may want to stop by your Honda dealer and see if they would sell you just the anchors.
  • Options
    velokidvelokid Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone heard truths or rumors of what changes can be expected for 2004?
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Also there are 29 pictures of the Si at the www.hondanews.com site. Including the Honda FP pkg. (Factory Performance).
  • Options
    will have the same rim and tire size as the RSX. Also V-rated tires. It looks like they have gone back to orange turn signals at the back, and changed the front end nicely too. The only thing that is hard to determine from the pictures, is whether it retains that "mini-minivan" look of the current one.

• Options
    I don't like the 04. Although I wouldn't mind 5 lug wheels though.
  • Options
    hatch5hatch5 Member Posts: 27
    I do not think I have seen ads for SI on LA Times this year. I checked inventory lists on a few dealers' web who offered me crazy price last year, but surprisingly, they have ZERO SI in stock! what happened ? Did they sell well this year ? I suspect smart Honda learned a lesson and imported far less SI this year. If so, those who got SI at crazy price were very lucky!

It is hard for me to spend 16.5k for a car which I was able to buy for 14.5k a year ago. SI is still my favorite, but now my appetite is moving toward Mazda (Pro5 and Miata! 3 also looks nice).
This discussion has been closed.