Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Sequoia Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    stevek80stevek80 Member Posts: 64
    I just called two local Toyota dealerships.. The said they use 90915-YZZD3. I asked them about the 20004 and they said they didn't know anything about it but it should fit. YZZD3 $8.21. I called the Lexus dealer.. He said they sell the 20004 for $9.81. Didn't sound like they were being discontinued here in the Northeast. He also said it should fit. Based on the pictures it's worth the extra $1.60.. Wonder if they have a case price.. That's how I buy the Baldwin filters for my diesel Suburban..
  • Options
    OK.. It's Friday.. So I decided to see if I can find an online distributor of the 90915-20004 filters. No one.. So I start calling Lexus dealerships.. Yea we got them.. but they cross to 90915-YZZD3. No.. I want the 20004.. Sorry we can't get them anymore.. I called three places.. All three agreed that the 20004 was a better filter BUT can't get them.. Found one place that said he has 30 left and can't get any more. $9.81 with 15% off if I buy more than 6.. I haven't gotten my truck yet BUT finding a good filter is hard to do. Think I should buy all 30? Life time supply? Or atleast the first 150,000 miles. 8-)
  • Options
    teamgomezteamgomez Member Posts: 17
    I have a phone number/dealername at work for a dealer selling the 20004's for 7.50 ea ;)

I'll post the details monday...D3's for 8.21? YOUCH! That's a 4 dollar filter here in San Diego...definitely wait for the details on the 7.50...you'll be much happier with the -20004 product.
  • Options
    sadtoyotaownersadtoyotaowner Member Posts: 6
    2003 limited 4x4 with 5800 ONLY MILES "Grinding" & "Drone" noise between 30 mph and 60 mph,,, The same problem that many other owners have posted here about the 4x4 sequoias.....Now the throttle is sticking closed when going around turns or maybe it's just not getting any fuel. This is another new problem for me and a MAJOR SAFTEY CONCERN. I can't belieive the POOR BUILD QUALITY of these Toyota trucks. It's just problem after problem. The Toyota quality ( OR LACK OF QUALITY) on this model is worse than any truck I have ever owned.

I am just amazed with the POOR QUALITY,,,,,, ie brakes (includes new calipers, rotors and miscellaneous parts) another TSB (BR005-02) transmission, oil pressure gauge ( non-working ) , tranny drone/grinding problem on 4x4's, A/C problems, And yes, I have heard the sound ( like tires rubbing in 4 wheel drive also! ) Tonight was the first night I noticed what I suspect is the lifter noise/tapping as it is very cold but it lasted for about 45 minutes, also the stench from what I guess is the cat/converter or exhust system. I'm not even going to get into the many minor problems like rattles, vibratiing sounds at dead stops or thumping sounds with the sunroof only open or tranny. Over Spray when painted running boards. Radio Bass, Wow, As i write I can't get over all of these problems.

Toyota claimed to have fixed the problems but I see others are having some problem too. Can someone that used an arbitrator please contact me. It's not the fact that I feel robbbed by Toyota It's a SAFTEY concern.

LOOK AT THIS PRIOR POST
    Had I known of this site I would not have purchased this truck.

Toyota and I are meeting with a 3rd party arbitrator next week regarding my complaint that my 01 Sequoia Ltd has an unsafe condition. Specifically, when turning right into traffic from a standing start and accelerating to merge, I lose power just when I need it! Me Too !!!

I know that in 2001 this was discussed in Sequoia Solutions forum. Reportedly, some have had their 01 VSC modules replaced with 02 modules, and have reported much less premature engagement of VSC as a result. However, these threads are now unavailable since there was a major systems crash according to one of the forum's moderators.

I searched this Town Hall and now find that others have experienced and discussed this problem as well:

Sequoia Owners: Problems & Solutions #8 23 Apr 2001 slickrock
    Sequoia Owners: Problems & Solutions #5 21 Apr 2001 fishcar
    Sequoia Owners: Problems & Solutions #4 21 Apr 2001 ka5ljb
    Sequoia Owners: Problems & Solutions #42 01 Nov 2001 curtcurtiss
    Sequoia Owners: Problems & Solutions #55 30 Nov 2001 dorene1

Have any of you successfully resolved your problem on this issue? I NEVER thought I would buy a American truck over the Toyota but this truck has changed my mind for good. For 50k, I expected much more.
  • Options
    gkatz1gkatz1 Member Posts: 296
    Hmmm, I just bought a 2004 after trading in my 02. The 02 never went back to the dealer once. No rattles, squeaks or noises. The brake issue was addressed appropriately by Toyota as was the A/C problem in certain 01 and 02 models. The differential issues are spotty at best and some have been corrected by differential replacement.

You could very well have a lemon. Having a lemon is not unique to Toyota and much more prevelent with other makes, read Ford and GM forums. Also, look at the Nissan Armada forum if you want to see some issues.

Sequoia has had some growing pains, like any model. But, those problems can be counted on one hand and even then, few vehicles were actually stricken with any actual symptoms. Sequoia consistantly proves more reliable than any other choice. One thing I would suggest is joining a certain Sequoia site that tracks these issues and contains an accurate TSB database. And a larger base of Sequoia members.

You will probably have the front diff issue resolved through a replacement part as some others have done. Some of the other things you mention are addressed by TSB, such as the radio bass. If your dealer doesn't know this, then get one that does. Join the Sequoia site so you can check every TSB yourself.
  • Options
    gkatz1

What site? Is there an arbitrition site? The Sequoia is built in America. If I had known this I think I would have bought the smaller but dependable Land Cruiser.
  • Options
    I unlocked my email. Send me one and I'll pass it along. We're not supposed to mention competing sites here. Where the truck was built has no bearing. The vast majority of Sequoia's are built with high quality. The Landcruiser is alot more money and isn't significantly more reliable than is the Sequoia.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if the 2004 is better than the DZ3? The article talks about the 90915-20004 vs. 08922-02011.. Nothing on the 90915-YZZD3. Maybe the YZZD3 is more comparable to the 2004?.. Yea right..
  • Options
    raddboy41raddboy41 Member Posts: 249
    Just get a Purolator PureOne PL10241 and forget about the OEM filter. Reasonably priced, top rated performance and easy to find.
  • Options
    Excellent work.. Thank you!
  • Options
    ar15ar15 Member Posts: 58
    I couldn't open the link. I'm registerred, but it says I don't have permission.

Any ideas?
  • Options
    ar15ar15 Member Posts: 58
  • Options
    Please contact me with the web site. Today I lost power when turning and got hit. Nobody was hurt but Toyota has to recall this problem.
  • Options
    teamgomezteamgomez Member Posts: 17
    Just hopped in the driver's seat after the wife picked me up in the new Sequoia. Turned the starter and got what sounded like engaging a starter on a running engine but the "grinding" sound was about one quarter the intensity of what it sounds like when you try to start a car that's running. Turned off motor, restart was normal. Shut down engine 10 min later and restart produced grinding noise again (sound seems to kick in after a couple of cranks and disappears when engine fires up). Any thoughts?
  • Options
    What site are you looking for? What happened?
  • Options
    This would make more sense if the engine was COLD between starts. If it's warm usually a vehicle only needs a couple cranks to start.. When cold it may take a few more cranks. With a loose/miss aligned starter or bad throw out bearing the more it cranks the more noticeable the noise will be. Take it back to the dealership especially since you can recreate the problem pretty easily. Noise goes away because starter disengages when you let go the key. There are only two parts here.. the starter and the flywheel.. Starter should be easy.. flywheel is more involved.
  • Options
    mach_28mach_28 Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2004 Toyota Sequoia Limited Edition.....Are any of you experiencing a clicking sound near the A/C unit, only during the first few minutes after starting the truck...
  • Options
    dsochiadsochia Member Posts: 1
    I too just purchased a 2004 Sequoia Limted Edition (4wd) and have noticed that sound, again, only in the first few minutes of starting the truck. I thought it might relate to the antilock brakes resetting or something, my wife's BMW X5 does that.
  • Options
    husky92husky92 Member Posts: 56
    I've followed this board fairly consistently and the last I had heard is that there had been enough reports of the issue that Toyota was looking at it and would issue a TSB. That was a while ago. Is this going to be addressed or has it?

Background. On 2003 (possibly others?) when you reach 40 mph, there is a low droning noise from the front of the vehicle that seems to go away completely at about 60 mph. The problem is not related to tires.
  • Options
    taxstud1taxstud1 Member Posts: 1
    I am going in to the dealer for my normal 5,000 oil change (I use Mobil One 5W30 Syn. and Purolator Pure 1 filter (PL10241)). I am also going to have them rotate the tires and lube the propeller shaft. Any other suggestions???
  • Options
    slarson876slarson876 Member Posts: 1
    New to the site ... can someone tell me if there is a website that you can go to get TSB's? Not just a list (ALLDATA), but the specifics of the TSB. Got a 2002 Sequoia with brake and alignment problems. Finally got the brake issue fixed, I think, still having alignment problems. Thanks
  • Options
    Mentioning other sites is frowned upon here. Send me an email and I'll hook you up.
  • Options
    sequoiasoonsequoiasoon Member Posts: 223
    My local library has Alldata-online and Mitchell on line. They use them instead of getting all the manuals as part of their web e-library. I went there on numerous weekends, printed the entire TSB (not just the list) as well as wiring diagrams and other service manual items. Check your library, your taxes already pay for it.
  • Options
    Taxstud, that sounds good. One thing I really believe in now is a "road force" balance. This involves balancing the tires while applying road force pressure on the tire. I've found that it is really tough to keep SUV tires balanced. This machine really does make a huge difference. Find out if your shop has it. I believe all Nissan dealers have them. It was the only thing that eliminated the shimmy on Pathfinders, so now their all equipped. I'm sure you can bring in your truck and they'll do it.
  • Options
    arslanarslan Member Posts: 36
    My Sequoia makes a double click sound that emanates from the center console near the radio shortly after I engage the vehicle in drive, which the dealer said was normal.

My VSC lights also turn on in cold weather, even after the brake fluid has been topped off. The cold weather has also brought about an occasional rattle sound near the radio.
  • Options
    The clicks are normal and part of a self-test.
  • Options
    2003sr52003sr5 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a brand new 2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 about 3 months ago and love it except that I hear a clicking sound near the A/C unit or center console after driving for about a minute or two or so and noticed that it usually happened after making a turn. I brought it to the Toyota dealer and they told me that it's normal but could not tell me why. I read a couple posts here with somewhat similar problems. Does anyone find out what cause it? If yes, please let me know.

Also, I plan to put in a navigation system but see a very little room at the center console. Does anyone have any suggestion of what is a good fit and available on the market?

Thanks in advance!

Sam
  • Options
    Hint: Read the post above yours.
  • Options
    slcamtslcamt Member Posts: 37
    There is nothing easy about this starter. I understand that it is under the intake manifold and costs almost 1,000 to replace (dealer) good luck. Hope its under warranty.
  • Options
    phongvuphongvu Member Posts: 5
    Ebtagmoto, I have the same noise problem too. I was suspect the hood bug shield. Have not take it off to check it out yet? Mine was loud when speed is about 70mph or strong wind would make that rattle humming noise at windshield/center dash... '03 seq is any else has this problem?
  • Options
    jrtannurajrtannura Member Posts: 18
    I have a 02 that had a ticking or rattle that sounded like it was coming from the dash or A pillar, earlier posts lead me to a TSB that involves a mod to the hood hinge(s)... it is VIN specific but do not go by that. This drove me crazy until I finally asked our dealer to try the TSB. It does not seem possible because the part is on the other side of the firewall but the fix cured the problem. The silence has been wonderful. My dealer is really good about things like this. This topic seems to crop up about every year. This might help.
  • Options
    mach_28mach_28 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 Limited Sequoia and noticed today while driving around 35-40mph, I get this aweful vibrating noise and the all the seats begin to rattle when I lowered only 1 window in the car (second row). It doesn't matter what side of the car the window is open at....

If I open both windows on the second row seats, the vibration stops or if I lower the rear window.

Has anyone experienced this?
  • Options
    jbanvillejbanville Member Posts: 20
    MANY cars suffer this wind buffetting problem. My '98 Ford Crown Vic does.
  • Options
    sanch98sanch98 Member Posts: 3
    Yes, I too have experienced this problem with my 2004 Seq SR5. It sounds like a helicopter is flying on top of you. I was ready to return the car back to the dealer. A simple solution is to open the rear window.

• Options
    debtoedebtoe Member Posts: 4
    Just purchased a 2004 SR5. The car had 6 miles when test drove and 20 when I returned to the lot to purchase the car. There was no "pulling" at that time. Now have 200 miles and there is a HUGE pulling to the right side. On a straight path I can EASILY change lanes without even touching the steering wheel. Took the SR5 to the dealership and they said that it was out of alignment and needed some tire pressure on the right side. OK! That's what they did. Picked up the SR5 when they were closing and they assured me all was OK! Got the vehicle on the highway and low and behold... it still pulls to the right. Not AS bad, but still pretty bad! It starts around 35 mph.

ANyone else have this problem? The solution?
  • Options
    I had this problem with my 2002 and cured it using some alignment specs I got from another board. The gentleman who came up with the specs works for Hunter, the company who makes the alignment machines. While the new specs are within Toyota's recommended range, they are much more specific.

When I took mine in, my shop said it was within acceptable alignment. I told them to adjust to the specs I gave them anyway. When I picked it up they said that my numbers wern't all that different. Well, they were much different behind the wheel. Straight line performance was much better. Give me an email if you want a link.
  • Options
    Thanks, GKatz! Hoping that I can figure out the problem as well. It sure is frustrating to have a car with 300 miles on it that doesn't drive "right"! It's kinda taking away from my excitement!
  • Options
    sanch98sanch98 Member Posts: 3
    Debtoe, I had the same problem w/ my 04 SR5. Took it to the dealer and they did the same thing with the tires (did not fix the problem). They finally
    adjusted the alignment and that took care of the problem. It drives great now....good luck.
  • Options
    Thanks, Sanch98! I'm hoping that I can get it resolved! I had a Ford Expedition before this car and was always having little things go wrong with it. We traded at $50,000 miles because I was scared of its reliability and such and was BUMMED to have it back over there so soon! Hoping they can get it straight for me!
  • Options
    kdvaillancourtkdvaillancourt Member Posts: 19
    gkatz I want the e-mail you mentioned in 571..How can I get the information? Thanks
  • Options
    Just give me an email.
  • Options
    mustafa_sqamustafa_sqa Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone. I have a 2002 Sequoia SR5 2WD. I was driving today and all of the sudden the trac light and the vsc tracjk light came on. I pulled over and turned off the ignition and turned it back on again and this problem disappeared!! I am stomped. has anyone ran into this? Please advise.
  • Options
    katzatkatzat Member Posts: 45
    How did this problem get you stomped? I hope you are alright;)
  • Options
    johnbond7ingjohnbond7ing Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem as Arslan #592 with the VSC light coming on when cold. After a restart it will normally stay out but not all the time. Mine is a 2003 Ltd 4wd with 12,000 miles and it has been getting more frequent. Dealer seems to know nothing of this problem although I have read in several discussions that is happens alot. Does anyone have an answer that this is a problem or just a light coming on?
  • Options
    My Limited has less than 1000 miles on it and I've had four occasions where the traction control activated and engine power was cut for a fraction of a second. If I were on a slippery surface I could understand, but not on a dry road at 30-35mph! I suspect it's a faulty sensor. As soon as I get a chance I'll bring it in.
  • Options
    kgreer3kgreer3 Member Posts: 1
    First time buyer of ABS/VSC systems. I know you're supposed to hear the grinding of the ABS, but is there a grinding sound when you press the gas on start of incline or decline?
  • Options
    sequoiasoonsequoiasoon Member Posts: 223
    There are a couple service bulletins (TSB's) out regarding the VSC. If your dealer claims to know nothing, time to find a new dealer! One TSB involves the steering angle sensor, another involves the VSC computer. The TSB's are readily available at many places (including my local library, maybe yours too through alldata or mitchell)My library has a subscription as part of the web reference instead of stocking all the actual books. I believe you can even find them here at Edmunds. An intermittent problem might or might not trigger a trouble code for it. Also if your really hard on brakes at your 12,000 mile mark you might be low on brake fluid. There is a sensor in the fluid reservoir that if the fluid is low will disable the VSC. If your close to that point a couple bumps or turns might be triggering it.
  • Options
    chas_cchas_c Member Posts: 1
    Relevant to posts 581, 583, 596. Went to dealer today to have this among other minor items on new Sequoia looked at. Went for a ride with tech and he agreed the problem existed. On completion of other repairs told me it occurred because I was holding key in start position too long. I followed his advice, but it failed to fix the problem. I have to return to get the temperature display replaced (failed), so will discuss with service manager. Gotta wonder if information in post 596 influenced (non)-repair approach.
  • Options
    pepper17pepper17 Member Posts: 1
    The leather on the seat surface of the front seats in my 02 Sequoia Limited with 40,000 miles looks worse that the leather in my 96 Acura TL with 85,000 miles. There are noticeable cracks in the finish on the driver and passenger seats. I reported this to the local dealership just after 36,000 miles and their response was that it was out of warranty. I argued that it didn't just happen within the period of time between 36 and 38K miles. They contacted the regional rep and Toyota has agreed to pay for half. To replace just the bottom seat covers on both seats, with me paying only half, will cost me between $600 and $700. My further efforts to convince the dealership to pick up the other half resulted in a threat that the original offer could be rescended. I guess I'm being ungrateful but I belive they should take care of the entire cost. The vehicle is otherwise in immaculate condition. Not even a door ding. I always let my wife out at the door and go park at the end of the parking lot. What are your thoughts?
  • Options
    lait2000lait2000 Member Posts: 33
    Not only the leather. the dash board, center compacment and door are very easy to get scratch. I hope more people complain to the dealer and make sure they input in the dealer database. That is the way they can not mention that "it was out of warranty".
    So far my 2003 Sequoia with 3000 miles on it. There are few problems in dealer database: replaced oil sending unit for Oil gauge low. Static Noise intermittent pop up for the stereo system during CD playing. Easy scratch on the Dashboard,center console and side panels and cheap material on the leather seats..