Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,755
    This kind of says it all:

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,007

This just feeds into all the negative perceptions of Prius drivers.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Prius-swept-away-Burbank-mudslide-video-rain-12491505.php

Clever oldfarmer.....the Prius used absolutely no fossil fuel to get down the hill.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

houdini1 said:

jmonroe said:

When I was cleaning out my Mom's house, there were tax returns going back to the mid 60's.Among other things, I also found my old school report cards. Those got shredded ASAP!
    The funniest thing I found was a report card for some cousin who she complained about a lot, we never met and went to her school.
    In 1 quarter, 42 absences. :)

Man, that is a lot of class to be missing.

However, if you ever saw my grade school report cards you'd probably say the same thing my Dad said, "what's with you, do you only show up to take the tests" ? :'(

jmonroe
    When I started first grade, they had to drag me, kicking and screaming to the school bus. After about a week I was fine. In the 2nd thru 4th grades, I got perfect attendance certificates all 3 years. I would go, no matter what because I wanted those certificates !
    Guess you weren't too bright houdini....you fell for the old perfect attendance certificate trick. :D
    (just joking).
    The school where I drove liked to hand out real lame "awards" to mold behavior. I got one for 3 years of perfect attendance. It was a T-shirt with the school name on it. .
    It all starts with those gold stars teachers put on perfect papers, and then they put them on foreheads. Then you got T-shirts or certificates for perfect attendance.
    That was when schools taught kids how to be little capitalists....work for your reward.

Now the kids are taught they're entitled to a gold star regardless of effort.

That operant conditioning never worked on me because I studied Pavlov.

lol, but too true too be funny. Kids should embrace failure....to move ahead in life you have to learn from mistakes and failures, and not cry because you don't have what some other kid has.

• Options

What is that car....certainly not a 2015 Mustang as loaded. Is that car for sale? Empty Pockets is not a good omen if you are thinking of buying it. It looks like an old Chev Monza I think it was called?

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,916
    tjc78 said:

@graphicguy
    When I was traveling heavy I bought some nice luggage... it was destroyed in a year.   After that I decided to buy cheap stuff and replace it when it got ratty.   I think I came out ahead that way.  

Haven’t Had an overnight for work in over 4 years (and love that) but I have a conference to attend in a few weeks.  I am hoping to make it with a carry on only 

Re: landlines.   Like @stickguy mine is with Comcast.  We never use it and actually only have one phone hooked up in the basement.   If I cancel it that takes me on another package with Comcast and basically saves nothing.   

I do that with gas grills too. One of my friends has a Weber that he paid a lot of money for. He always says how it will last 15 years. I buy a cheap one every few years and have 4 or 5 new ones while he still has the same old one.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    I'm finally free of Sirius and it actually feels pretty good. No more frustration. No more calling to get a reasonable rate.

The last car, when I specifically told them to not automatically renew the service and they still renewed it, did it for me...finally after many, many years.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,150
    edited January 2018

I get those calls 10 times a day but usually from just "card services". I thought there was a no call law.

My biggest annoyance calls are from charities that I had given money to in the past. Right now the two biggest violators, calling on a daily basis multiple times a day. are Detroit Public TV and an international children's aid charity.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,328
    edited January 2018

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

houdini1 said:

jmonroe said:

When I was cleaning out my Mom's house, there were tax returns going back to the mid 60's.Among other things, I also found my old school report cards. Those got shredded ASAP!
    The funniest thing I found was a report card for some cousin who she complained about a lot, we never met and went to her school.

However, if you ever saw my grade school report cards you'd probably say the same thing my Dad said, "what's with you, do you only show up to take the tests" ? :'(

jmonroe
    When I started first grade, they had to drag me, kicking and screaming to the school bus. After about a week I was fine. In the 2nd thru 4th grades, I got perfect attendance certificates all 3 years. I would go, no matter what because I wanted those certificates !
    Guess you weren't too bright houdini....you fell for the old perfect attendance certificate trick. :D
    (just joking).
    The school where I drove liked to hand out real lame "awards" to mold behavior. I got one for 3 years of perfect attendance. It was a T-shirt with the school name on it. .
    It all starts with those gold stars teachers put on perfect papers, and then they put them on foreheads. Then you got T-shirts or certificates for perfect attendance.
    That was when schools taught kids how to be little capitalists....work for your reward.

Pavlov, I've heard of him. When the bell rings, the rat barks. :D

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,669
    abacomike said:

I wish I could get rid of the traditional phone - but security and fire alarms and smoke detectors are all hardwired into the phone lines.  

I use my mobile phone for everything and I only pay $50 a month, tax included for unlimited everything including LTE data.  In my condo I have 2.4 and 5.0 WiFi so the speed is great - 75 mbs

There are (cheaper) ways to do all of that without going through a hardline, using your cell phone. How much you want to bet someone, somewhere is getting a kickback from the phone company for requiring a landline for those services.

Might be something to bring up at the next condo association meeting.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    driver100 said:

What is that car....certainly not a 2015 Mustang as loaded. Is that car for sale? Empty Pockets is not a good omen if you are thinking of buying it. It looks like an old Chev Monza I think it was called?
    Looks like an old Chevy Monza? Maybe?
  • Options
    venture said:

I'm finally free of Sirius and it actually feels pretty good. No more frustration. No more calling to get a reasonable rate.

Congratultions! Proper thing to do, good for you. I did the exact same thing.

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,575
    We never bothered with a landline as we have full bars with Verizon. The closest we came to getting one was when I started working from home Mondays and Fridays and was using all my cell phone minutes (yes I am still on a plan that has minutes with the grandfathered unlimited data plan). Fortunately my company switched to Skype Business so my office line is forwarded automatically....so that nixed the landline idea.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,699
    That is a Chevy Monza.

And I still like XM. Worth the money to me, since I would really miss having it. My wife feels the same way.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,499
    edited January 2018
    For the $5 per month I’m paying, Sirius/XM is well worth it for me.
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    driver100 said:

This just feeds into all the negative perceptions of Prius drivers.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Prius-swept-away-Burbank-mudslide-video-rain-12491505.php

Clever oldfarmer.....the Prius used absolutely no fossil fuel to get down the hill.
    In Montecito that would be one of dozens of cars swept away by the mudslide, some of which actually wound up in the Pacific Ocean. The mudslide was not particular as to makes of cars.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    carnaught said:

Well, wait until you trip up and they slip an automatic $20+/month charge on your credit card and then want another $60 to cancel it.

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,755
    Well it looks like I'm now an employee of Enterprise Rental Car. Interviewed this morning and they said they'll call for a start date. 20-25 hrs. A week. Discount car rentals, discounts on car purchase (goodie goodie) and even a 401k match. Driving cars everywhere from the Canadian border to NJ.

I'll still explore other jobs in case this doesn't pan out. Who knows, maybe they'll change their mind.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    Good luck with it. I could see myself doing that gig as an ease into retirement job.

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,730
    Michaell said:

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

Farmer, I think you got it. My point was, Driver's friend was smarter to lease the caddy rather than buying a new one. In leasing, ,you are basically paying for the depreciation over 3 years. But, the amount is fixed. and my assumption is that the true depreciation would be more than that fixed amount, so if he bought the car and sold for market value 3 years later, he would be out more money.

flip side, yes, the buyout on the lease is going to be higher than what you could buy a similar car for if you want a 3 year old one.

Exactly stick. The salesman and my friend knew he would never buy the car at the end of the lease, it wouldn't make sense.
    Companies like leasing....it means they get to lease out another car in 3 years, and it gives them nice clean low mileage used cars to sell.
    But, I think there is some kind of game going on when you can lease a luxury car for $0 down, $465 a month, and the payments aren't even close to matching the depreciation over 3 years. It is similar to the financial meltdown, leasing cars at bargain basement prices and worry about it in 3 years time when the chickens come home to roost....to put it in terms oldfarmer will really understand.

It will be interesting to see what those cars eventually do sell for.
    It won't matter, because in almost all cases the leasing bank has an insurance policy that covers them if the market value is less than the contract residual value.

That's why the dealer can often buy the vehicle at the end of the lease for a lower price than the customer.
    Well, during the bailout bonanza of 2008/2009, I would say all those entities were involved with their hands out for tax payer dough!
    1. Banks, including leasing banks like GMAC for GM aka Ally Bank.

2. Insurers, including AIG.

3. And of course, GM & Chrysler.

'15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options

Re: Amazon....for a lot of these items, Amazon is just the ordering vehicle. They don’t warehouse, or ship. They just are the front end for ordering. The products themselves are shipped by the companies offering them.

If it’s not Amazon offering the product directly, it will usually say something along the lines of “sold by XYZ, an Amazon Partner”. If it’s sold directly by Amazon, they’re usually really good about customer service and will either replace, or refund anything sold by them directly.

In the case of the wireless charger, that’s exactly what happened. Amazon didn’t sell it directly. It was actually sold by another 3rd party. They only listed it through Amazon.

My complaint to Amazon that it was a “bait and switch”. They offered my a gift certificate, even though it wasn’t their fault directly.

This was probably more than 5 years ago, but I read a lot of fine print at Amazon. They have some sort of A to Z Guarantee for their 3rd party sellers, at least back then. It was solid. Much better than E-Bay or Paypal, and like I said, when I've had issues, they were easily solved and made up for.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    ab348 said:
    Well, wait until you trip up and they slip an automatic $20+/month charge on your credit card and then want another $60 to cancel it.
    Hasn't happened yet.  I've been with them from almost the beginning, and stay on top if it, set reminders, etc.  Easy and a small price to pay.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 242,542
    andres3 said:

Michaell said:

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

Farmer, I think you got it. My point was, Driver's friend was smarter to lease the caddy rather than buying a new one. In leasing, ,you are basically paying for the depreciation over 3 years. But, the amount is fixed. and my assumption is that the true depreciation would be more than that fixed amount, so if he bought the car and sold for market value 3 years later, he would be out more money.

flip side, yes, the buyout on the lease is going to be higher than what you could buy a similar car for if you want a 3 year old one.

Exactly stick. The salesman and my friend knew he would never buy the car at the end of the lease, it wouldn't make sense.
    Companies like leasing....it means they get to lease out another car in 3 years, and it gives them nice clean low mileage used cars to sell.
    But, I think there is some kind of game going on when you can lease a luxury car for $0 down, $465 a month, and the payments aren't even close to matching the depreciation over 3 years. It is similar to the financial meltdown, leasing cars at bargain basement prices and worry about it in 3 years time when the chickens come home to roost....to put it in terms oldfarmer will really understand.

It won't matter, because in almost all cases the leasing bank has an insurance policy that covers them if the market value is less than the contract residual value.

That's why the dealer can often buy the vehicle at the end of the lease for a lower price than the customer.
    Well, during the bailout bonanza of 2008/2009, I would say all those entities were involved with their hands out for tax payer dough!

Without going down that political rat hole, most of these were loans that were eventually paid back.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options

Well it looks like I'm now an employee of Enterprise Rental Car. Interviewed this morning and they said they'll call for a start date. 20-25 hrs. A week. Discount car rentals, discounts on car purchase (goodie goodie) and even a 401k match. Driving cars everywhere from the Canadian border to NJ.

I'll still explore other jobs in case this doesn't pan out. Who knows, maybe they'll change their mind.

Big congrats OF!
  • Options
    ab348 said:

venture said:

Congratultions! Proper thing to do, good for you. I did the exact same thing.

Heard and seen they are doing the $30 every 6-month deal and offering a $60 every year deal. Basically halving the time you have to waste talking to them about renewal at the same rates.
  • Options
    Michaell said:

andres3 said:

Michaell said:

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

Without going down that political rat hole, most of these were loans that were eventually paid back.
    Never understood how a loan makes a bailout OK or different. I'd have loaned GM money at a 100% interest rate. The government beating my price undercut me and the market, and is therefore a subsidy.

I guess there is truth in "packaging" and naming or calling it something more palatable than a tax payer give-away.

Everyone please do report if you get a huge raise in 2018 as with the new tax cuts employers should be able to afford it.
  • Options
    No doubt @imidazol97 will enjoy this Baruth barf-piece on the 2016 Malibu, though by the end he is forced to damn it with faint praise.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/01/rental-review-2016-chevrolet-malibu-ltz-2/

Reader comments are a treat also.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,416
    venture said:
    @graphicguy
    When I was traveling heavy I bought some nice luggage... it was destroyed in a year.   After that I decided to buy cheap stuff and replace it when it got ratty.   I think I came out ahead that way.  

Haven’t Had an overnight for work in over 4 years (and love that) but I have a conference to attend in a few weeks.  I am hoping to make it with a carry on only 

Re: landlines.   Like @stickguy mine is with Comcast.  We never use it and actually only have one phone hooked up in the basement.   If I cancel it that takes me on another package with Comcast and basically saves nothing.   
    I do that with gas grills too. One of my friends has a Weber that he paid a lot of money for. He always says how it will last 15 years. I buy a cheap one every few years and have 4 or 5 new ones while he still has the same old one.
    We bought a Big Green Egg a few years ago. We really like it and couldn’t imagine going back to a gas grill. There’s a bit of a learning curve before you really get comfortable with it; one nice thing about it is that aside from replacing the dome gaskets and/or the cooking grid it never wears out. 

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,709
    Congrats on your new car gig, oldfarmer50!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    houdini1 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

houdini1 said:

jmonroe said:

jmonroe
    (just joking).

Pavlov, I've heard of him. When the bell rings, the rat barks. :D
    I think there was some "drooling" in his research - the dog would drool when a stimulus was introduced - at least that's what I remember about Pavlov.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

Congratulations, OF. You've joined the rat-race once again - shuttling cars back and forth - at least you don't have a boss breathing down your neck. Enjoy the experience.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286

abacomike said:

I wish I could get rid of the traditional phone - but security and fire alarms and smoke detectors are all hardwired into the phone lines.  

I use my mobile phone for everything and I only pay $50 a month, tax included for unlimited everything including LTE data.  In my condo I have 2.4 and 5.0 WiFi so the speed is great - 75 mbs

There are (cheaper) ways to do all of that without going through a hardline, using your cell phone. How much you want to bet someone, somewhere is getting a kickback from the phone company for requiring a landline for those services.

I have Simplisafe at home. It only uses cellular. You can't even use a landline with it.

We haven't had a landline for ages.
  • Options
    ab348 said:

No doubt @imidazol97 will enjoy this Baruth barf-piece on the 2016 Malibu, though by the end he is forced to damn it with faint praise.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/01/rental-review-2016-chevrolet-malibu-ltz-2/

Reader comments are a treat also.

Really interesting and different review of a "Made to rent" car. I guess that is what GM is doing, finding cars they can build to use as rental cars, so their own brands don't get stigmatized. I also like the review about the Captiva which followed, really a Saturn VUE which can only be bought used by the public, after it has been used as a rental.

the Chevrolet Captiva Sport is probably what you’ll get for $29.95 a day from Hertz. While you’re bound to see them on the streets, you can’t buy them new unless you’re a fleet customer. That’s because the Captiva is designed to do two things: keep fleet sales of GM’s other CUVs low and continue to amortize the cost of Americanizing the Opel Antara. Yep, that’s right, under the bow tie, the Captiva Sport is none-other than the 2008-2010 Saturn VUE, aka the Opel Antata, Holden Captiva and Dawewoo Winstorm MaXX.

• Options
    Way to go OLDFARMER, congratulations!...you should come up with some interesting reviews and some interesting stories. Let us know how the made for rentals Malibus and Captivas really are.

• Options
    I am surprised so many of you don't have a landline. I would feel incomplete without a real land phone. But then, I almost never remember to take my cell phone with me or turn it on if I do.

• Options
    I think the new Malibu is Stylish. Probably comfy to drive too, and a good value. The one thing I can’t stand about chevys though is the dash and center stack design.

• Options
    Congrats ‘farmer. Sounds like fun.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 242,542
    @oldfarmer50 - let me also add my congratulations on your new part time gig.

Now we'll have two folks regularly contributing their thoughts about the cars they drive for their work.

"Canadian border to NJ" - that's a pretty big stretch. How long are the days you'll be working?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    Congrats @oldfarmer50!
  • Options
    Michaell said:

@oldfarmer50 - let me also add my congratulations on your new part time gig.

Now we'll have two folks regularly contributing their thoughts about the cars they drive for their work.

"Canadian border to NJ" - that's a pretty big stretch. How long are the days you'll be working?

Not for him. NJ is about 2 hours (or less). And Canada is about 3. So not quite local, but not that crazy. Seems odd though they would move cars that far.

• Options
    It would all be within range....let me know if you are coming to the Toronto area oldfarmer. I assume though, you won't be actually crossing the border - you will need a passport to do that these days.

• Options
    driver100 said:

I am surprised so many of you don't have a landline. I would feel incomplete without a real land phone. But then, I almost never remember to take my cell phone with me or turn it on if I do.

We have one, but rarely answer it. Most of the time it's telemarketers or political ads. For the last few weeks it hasn't rung. The display says something about "check line" or something like that. Maybe some day I'll take a look at it. Right now I'm enjoying the silence.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,235
    Congrats on the job, oldfarmer! It'll be interesting at the very least.

Regarding Malibu, IMO the 08-12 was the best recent design.
  • Options

venture said:

tjc78 said:

@graphicguy

We bought a Big Green Egg a few years ago. We really like it and couldn’t imagine going back to a gas grill. There’s a bit of a learning curve before you really get comfortable with it; one nice thing about it is that aside from replacing the dome gaskets and/or the cooking grid it never wears out. 

We don't grill enough to become an egghead. Maybe twice a summer. Mine wears out from age.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,401
    @nyc,
    Some skiers at work either decided not to go skiing this weekend(VT) or moved the ski day up to earlier this week.
    Best to just check the conditions report where you are going.

@oldfarmer50,
    Congrats on the new gig. What did you drive to the interview? We are expecting a picture and review of the car of the week.

@carnaught,
    I'm really enjoy having Sirius. I'm also on the $5 a month plan now with a couple of cars. I pay for my kid's subscriptions, too. Nice easy gift that they can enjoy every day.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options

@carnaught,
    I'm really enjoy having Sirius. I'm also on the $5 a month plan now with a couple of cars. I pay for my kid's subscriptions, too. Nice easy gift that they can enjoy every day.

Nothing about dealing with SXM is what I would describe as "easy", just the opposite here.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,401
    @ab348,
    We do long trips and really like for that. I enjoy listening to games on a trip. Local radio stations are just annoying. If I had a memory stick with a bunch of songs on it, I would never hear a new one. The only time I listen to a radio is when I'm driving.
    I usually call the cancel number and tell them I'd like to keep their service, but it's too expensive.
    Then we go from there.
    In Canada, it could work differently.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    verdugo said:

abacomike said:

I have Simplisafe at home. It only uses cellular. You can't even use a landline with it.

We haven't had a landline for ages.
    I find it funny when my 4-year old daughter uses the term "ages" to describe a long time. Usually, she says "ages" when it really hasn't been that long.

How long do you define an age? Scientists might point to the ice age, while I would probably say a decade.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

@ab348,
    We do long trips and really like for that. I enjoy listening to games on a trip. Local radio stations are just annoying. If I had a memory stick with a bunch of songs on it, I would never hear a new one. The only time I listen to a radio is when I'm driving.
    I usually call the cancel number and tell them I'd like to keep their service, but it's too expensive.
    Then we go from there.

I do something similar, but I usually have to hear what sounds like 2 or 3 rehearsed canned spiels to get me to pay more, I have to say "No Thank You" 3 times to get to the $5/month rate usually.
  • Options
    By the way, are MOV short video files supported on these forums?

I need to take the TTS out for some acceleration and brake testing this weekend. Need to find the time.
  • Options
    andres3 said:

@ab348,
    Then we go from there.

I do something similar, but I usually have to hear what sounds like 2 or 3 rehearsed canned spiels to get me to pay more, I have to say "No Thank You" 3 times to get to the $5/month rate usually.

What I’m doing most recently is say to them that I want the $30 per 6 mos. “promotional plan” (now $60 per year) or else I’ll cancel. Easy peasy...