Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336
    I had an @abacomike kind of day, yesterday.

I work from home, so I don't get out and about all that much - probably why my Jetta only has 13,000 miles after 27 months.

Anyway, I had to run a few errands late yesterday afternoon - dropped off a bag of donations at Goodwill, get the car washed, then I decided to stop and get some dinner.

When I came out of the restaurant, I noticed something seemed off with my car - the rear license plate was missing. Hmm, that's not good. OK, I thought that maybe something happened at the car wash that caused the plate to come off, so I went back. Nope, not there. I figured I should get the car home, lest I get pulled over by the local constabulary.

On the way home, I called the local PD; they said an officer would call me back to discuss the situation. I wasn't sure if the local PD or the county Sheriff should handle this, since the theft occurred in town limits, but my home address is in an unincorporated part of the county.

An officer called me, and I explained the situation. He said he would check at the Goodwill to see if it was there, and if not, they would open a case for me. Nope, not there, either.

He explained to me that thieves often steal a car, then grab a plate off a similar model - in my case, a grey Jetta, which is pretty common. He further said that I could move the front plate to the rear, and keep the case number handy in case I do get pulled over; the rear plate has stickers to indicate the month and year the registration expires. Also, I'll need to take the case number with me to the DMV, when I get new plates.

Naturally, I have to go to Denver today, so fingers crossed that I don't have any issues.

What's really odd is that the thieves replaced the screws into the plate frame after taking the plate - gee, how nice of them!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,396
    That is really annoying - but how polite of them not to rip the plate right off.

In my old neighborhood here in Seattle, the favorite thing for the neighborhood high school kids to do during the work day was walk up and down the street bending license plates that didn't have the bottom set of screws in.

When I started working from home, I saw them walking up to give the GTI an attempt (wouldn't have worked). I set off panic mode and watched the group of them scream, fall backwards, and take off. So worth it.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    Very strange.  

So you have to get new plates, registration and update your insurance with the new numbers?

What a hassle! 

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Michaell said:

I work from home, so I don't get out and about all that much - probably why my Jetta only has 13,000 miles after 27 months.

Anyway, I had to run a few errands late yesterday afternoon - dropped off a bag of donations at Goodwill, get the car washed, then I decided to stop and get some dinner.

When I came out of the restaurant, I noticed something seemed off with my car - the rear license plate was missing. Hmm, that's not good. OK, I thought that maybe something happened at the car wash that caused the plate to come off, so I went back. Nope, not there. I figured I should get the car home, lest I get pulled over by the local constabulary.

On the way home, I called the local PD; they said an officer would call me back to discuss the situation. I wasn't sure if the local PD or the county Sheriff should handle this, since the theft occurred in town limits, but my home address is in an unincorporated part of the county.

An officer called me, and I explained the situation. He said he would check at the Goodwill to see if it was there, and if not, they would open a case for me. Nope, not there, either.

He explained to me that thieves often steal a car, then grab a plate off a similar model - in my case, a grey Jetta, which is pretty common. He further said that I could move the front plate to the rear, and keep the case number handy in case I do get pulled over; the rear plate has stickers to indicate the month and year the registration expires. Also, I'll need to take the case number with me to the DMV, when I get new plates.

Naturally, I have to go to Denver today, so fingers crossed that I don't have any issues.

What's really odd is that the thieves replaced the screws into the plate frame after taking the plate - gee, how nice of them!

You may recall, about 3 years ago, thieves stole the hood off of my new 2015 Ford F150. Middle of the night, sitting in the driveway of my house. Small residential lot, neighbors on both sides, and in Texas, where it is perfectly legal to shoot anyone stealing from you. Very nervy thieves (or crazy, whatever).

Anyway, they not only unscrewed and took all of the bolts, they very neatly unplugged the wiring harness rather than just cut the wires. They also took the left front quarter panel (basically the headlight, turn signals etc). A lot of wiring connectors, not easy to undo in the middle of the night, in the dark. But there were no cut wires, and no screws or bolts were left behind. Very neat job.

My conclusion was professional body men, who had an order for exactly what they took, right down to the color.

I expect the police, if they had the time and the inclination, could have found the truck that needed my exact parts. 2015 was the first year for the aluminum body panels on the F150, so there couldn't have been that many 2015 F150's in the same color hit in the left front. And local to me, I doubt they traveled very far to do their shopping.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    This could be a sign from God oldfarmer.
    :p
  • Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited November 2018
    Our friends in Florida can probably relate to this story. 

An 89-year old Cambridge, MA woman was dropped by Zipcar because she scratched the car she was driving and dented a parked SUV. She claims others have caused worse damage and were not dropped.Virgina Newes loved using Zipcar but then the car-sharing company abruptly dropped her after a minor accident 
    According to reports, her mental acuity is sharp and she is a spritely and athletic woman. Is that age discrimination? Not according to Zipcar. It says (in an obscure paragraph in the contract) that those involved in accidents with less than one year of membership experience with Zipcar is subject to be dropped.

She is pissed off because for $55 a month she had grown fond of the car sharing service.

What do you guys think?
  • Options
    tjc78 said:

Very strange.  

So you have to get new plates, registration and update your insurance with the new numbers?

What a hassle! 

The plates and registration, yes. I just renewed the registration for the year on 10/25, too. Spent 90 minutes at the DMV to do that, once. Not looking forward to doing it again.

Not sure about the insurance - it's tied to the VIN, not the plate, but I will let my insurance company know, just to be safe.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    pensfan83 said:
    As I was reading I kept thinking some crazy old lady was going to play a key role in the plot :(
    Maybe it was stolen by a roving gang of little old ladies.

https://youtu.be/N0kRPXTBRqE

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    @Michaell ....WOW! That’s pretty brazen. That said, OH requires a front plate (which they’re considering dropping as it saves the BMV money to sell only one plate for the price they used to sell front and back).

I don’t like drilling into my front grill or bumper. So, I haven’t had a front plate for over a decade. Guess I’d be screwed if someone stole my rear plate. I’d have NO PLATES, then.

@oldfarmer50 ......I’m thinking it’s time to retire the PT. From as much as I can recall, she’s been a good steed for the most part. Buy a Sentra. I know of a few links that have been posted here over the last several months that would help your quest.

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977
    Michaell .
    When I came out of the restaurant, I noticed something seemed off with my car - the rear license plate was missing. Hmm, that's not good.

WOW....sorry to hear about that one. What a pain.
    It will even be more painful if they think you are involved in a bank robbery or something.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    "
    graphicguy"
    @oldfarmer50 ......I’m thinking it’s time to retire the PT. From as much as I can recall, she’s been a good steed for the most part. Buy a Sentra. I know of a few links that have been posted here over the last several months that would help your quest.

Not to be negative but sometimes things happen for a reason and is better to fold them than to hold them. I am thinking you had a pretty good run with the PT, it might be a good time to bail. It may be hard to get $2500 for it privately, and a dealer may not want it as a trade.

If it needs a major repair after you get it fixed up, you will be sorry you didn't trade it in when you could have just taken the money and ran.

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,676
    Michaell said:

That’s the hallmark of an Enterprise employee. When we do a dealer delivery we take the plates but leave the screws as a courtesy. Check your local rental office for any shifty characters. ;)

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    GG, keep the front plate in the trunk. Like when you used to have a spare tire.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    @oldfarmer50 ....thought of you looking for another hooptie...

https://youtu.be/66ql1ouyvAc
  • Options
    bwia said:

Our friends in Florida can probably relate to this story. 

An 89-year old Cambridge, MA woman was dropped by Zipcar because she scratched the car she was driving and dented a parked SUV. She claims others have caused worse damage and were not dropped.Virgina Newes loved using Zipcar but then the car-sharing company abruptly dropped her after a minor accident 
    According to reports, her mental acuity is sharp and she is a spritely and athletic woman. Is that age discrimination? Not according to Zipcar. It says (in an obscure paragraph in the contract) that those involved in accidents with less than one year of membership experience with Zipcar is subject to be dropped.

She is pissed off because for $55 a month she had grown fond of the car sharing service.

What do you guys think?

Don’t they have some provision for billing the client for damage caused by negligence or whatever? The lady seems to have an entitled attitude with her two wrongs make a right philosophy but yeah, sounds like they are dumping her because of age.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    edited November 2018
    driver100 said:
    Michaell . When I came out of the restaurant, I noticed something seemed off with my car - the rear license plate was missing. Hmm, that's not good.
    WOW....sorry to hear about that one. What a pain. It will even be more painful if they think you are involved in a bank robbery or something.
    Which is why i notified the local PD and got a case number. If I’m stopped for not having the stickers on my plate, I can still show them the registration and the case number, which they can verify. 

The folks who who stole my plate can’t say the same thing. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    edited November 2018
    This morning I went out and noticed it had snowed about an inch overnight. No problem, just slow down. Evidently no one else noticed because the news reported total bedlam on the roads. At the market I pulled in next to an Audi A5 with it’s entire rocker panel ripped off and damage to sheet metal from front wheel to back. Probably one of those overconfident AWD racers.

I figure now that I see salt I’ll have to put the Mustang to bed. Went to Walmart to buy Stabil. At the self check out all sorts of bells started ringing. A manager came over and punched in a code to clear a message “is customer over 18?”. Evidently young folks are drinking the stuff. What a world.

• Options
    Michaell said:
    driver100 said:
    Michaell . When I came out of the restaurant, I noticed something seemed off with my car - the rear license plate was missing. Hmm, that's not good.
    WOW....sorry to hear about that one. What a pain. It will even be more painful if they think you are involved in a bank robbery or something.
    Which is why i notified the local PD and got a case number. If I’m stopped for not having the stickers on my plate, I can still show them the registration and the case number, which they can verify. 

The folks who who stole my plate can’t say the same thing. 
    I might have shared this story before but during the 1960 Republican convention in Chicago my dad got a gig as a driver chauffeuring delegates and VIPs around. One day he went to the car he was assigned to and caught someone stealing the plates off the car. My dad let the guy go as long as my dad was able to keep one of the plates. I still have that plate.

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155

I don’t like drilling into my front grill or bumper. So, I haven’t had a front plate for over a decade. Guess I’d be screwed if someone stole my rear plate. I’d have NO PLATES, then.

But, you have the unused front plate that the BMV gave you in your trunk that you could put on the rear, in the event the rear plate with the stickers is stolen.

The concept of taking license plates from another vehicle when a person in the mysteries I read has a stolen car is common. They're not usually so careful as to pick a similar model though. They just grab plates that aren't on the stolen vehicle list.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516

I know someone who rebuilds newer luxury cars and makes a decent profit off them, and he declares them all as rebuilds. I'm amazed though that people would buy one or two year old rebuilt title luxury cars for mere few grand in savings over clean title ones.

They carry rebuilt title forever, and they have no factory warranty, which on newer luxury cars with complicated electronics can cause serious problems down the road.

At my previous lot we sold a low km clean title Mercedes GLK that had a previous minor accident that was acting up. The customer said that sometimes when driving all the dash lights would go off, and check engine light would come on for no reason. Basically phantom electrical issues.

We took it to a speciality shop and it took them days to figure out that some of the wiring that was damaged in the previous accident wasn't reconnected or rewired, causing electrical issues and shorts which caused the computers to communicate incorrectly resulting in problems. They finally fixed it (our lot paid for the repairs), but it took them a while and this was due to a minor accident. I can't imagine what problems can crop up from major accidents that some of these cars sustained if not fixed properly.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• Options
    houdini2houdini2 Member Posts: 409
    bwia said:

I debated about posting this story all weekend, but since no names are involved, and it’s sorta driving related, I’m going to.

One of my best friends (I was Best Man at his wedding many, many years ago) called me at 5:00 a.m. Saturday morning. That has never happened before, particularly with my friend.

He had been picked up for suspicion of driving under the influence. I don’t know if he was drinking, or he wasn’t. But, he’s going through a nasty divorce and I told him a few times recently that drowning his sorrows in a bottle is not a good idea. Doing it and getting behind the wheel is an even worse idea.

He lives in a County just east of me. I’m not THAT familiar with the area, but they had put him, in what looked like to me, a highly secure trailer that they can move around. I guess they use these whenever they set up an checkpoint? Or, when they’re combing an area for DUI drivers?

I don’t know how the whole process works. I thought they took you to the nearest jail, and I don’t even now where that is. Apparently, there’s a different procedure for DUIs?

They picked him up at around 11:00 p.m. and didn’t release him until the next morning (ergo, the phone call I got).

Was he drunk? Didn’t seem like it to me, but I wasn’t with him at 11:00 p.m., either. He said they picked him up for crossing a yellow line. He said it was very dark and if he did cross the yellow line, it was just barely and in a split second. Again, I don’t know how all of this works. He argued with the arresting officer (bad move on his part). I guess he became somewhat defensive when the officer told him why he was pulled over and he would not cooperate with the officer who was trying to give him a field sobriety test.

From that point, I guess it became “assume the position”.

Lots of details I don’t have. I just took him straight home. I didn’t smell any alcohol, but I have not been trained to, either. He went into hiding Saturday and yesterday.

Finally reached him this a.m. He apologized profusely for getting me out of bed to pick him up (was irritated at the time, but what are friends for?). He said he had a beer with a burger at a bar/restaurant he went to listen to a band.

I dunno? Would they arrest you for drinking a beer? Two? Three? I’m thinking he had more than one. But, he’s 6’3”...230#-240#. It would take more than a beer (or even 2 or 3) to get him drunk....especially if he’d also had something to eat.

I don’t know if he took a breathalyzer or failed the physical tests, if he even acquiesced and did any of those tests?

Anyway, he told me he talked to his lawyer who saw the video from the police cam this a.m. He said that it was pretty skimpy evidence for pulling someone over for a DUI. He’s going to try to get the charges reduced. But, for the lawyer to even try? $3K....up front......that’s just for a plea, and not an actual trial. Plus, if guilty, fines and fees would match that. Then there’s the insurance pound of flesh.

As I told my friend, not only are you now going back and forth to court for your divorce, you’ll be going back and forth for what could be a DUI. He can’t wait for this year to be over.
    In NY refusal of breath test is grounds for license suspension no matter what the other outcome. He may win the case but lose his license.

If this is your friend`s first DUI and if he wasn't too abusive to the cop, and had not taken any illicit drugs he probably will be given a warning.

Showing up in court with a lawyer is perhaps not a good strategy. It says I'm guilty and i'm going to buy my way out of this predicament. Instead he should appear to be contrite and throw himself on the mercy of the court. If he is tearful and sincere in his plea he just might walk Scott free.

Not sure about that strategy OF. I think those judges and attorneys are all friends, and they like to see each other making a good living !
  • Options
    boomchek said:

I know someone who rebuilds newer luxury cars and makes a decent profit off them, and he declares them all as rebuilds. I'm amazed though that people would buy one or two year old rebuilt title luxury cars for mere few grand in savings over clean title ones.

They carry rebuilt title forever, and they have no factory warranty, which on newer luxury cars with complicated electronics can cause serious problems down the road.

At my previous lot we sold a low km clean title Mercedes GLK that had a previous minor accident that was acting up. The customer said that sometimes when driving all the dash lights would go off, and check engine light would come on for no reason. Basically phantom electrical issues.

We took it to a speciality shop and it took them days to figure out that some of the wiring that was damaged in the previous accident wasn't reconnected or rewired, causing electrical issues and shorts which caused the computers to communicate incorrectly resulting in problems. They finally fixed it (our lot paid for the repairs), but it took them a while and this was due to a minor accident. I can't imagine what problems can crop up from major accidents that some of these cars sustained if not fixed properly.
    @boomchek ...it never ceases to amaze me trouble someone will go through to save small amounts of money.

I’ve watched this guy’s YouTube channel. He just finished up with getting an Audi R8 with a cracked frame bracket on the road, again. He likes doing it, and obviously enjoys flipping the cars after they’re done.

Would I ever buy an R8 that had frame damage? No! Then again, I’d probably never buy any car that has had frame damage.

But, if you want something like an R8 or an Mercedes AMG Wagon, etc but can’t afford one, this is a way to get into it with little money down. Keeping it running is another matter, though.
  • Options
    I was skeptical that you could get that car fully fixed for about $12k, his budget based on 3,500 to purchase, and $17,000 estimated sale price. Leaving a little profit margin. Heck, the lights, airbags and paint will eat up a huge chunk. Never mind frame repairs an many new body parts, including a door.

• Options
    boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    I've come across some horribly repaired rebuilds that people wanted to trade in during my years in the car biz. Misaligned body panels, permanently messed up alignment, bad repaints, etc..

We always appraise rebuilds at about half the value of a clean title car especially if it's a newer model vehicle. I did own a older rebuilt 93 Civic years ago that was actually quite reliable BUT it was a simple 93 Civic so even if something was to go wrong it would be a simple repair.

The Mercedes wagon in the video looks cool but I doubt he can get mid to high teens for it after its been repaired. Most people that have that much cash to pay for an older "collector" type car probably have a bit more to spend on one that's near mint with clean title.

I also agree that it would be tough to get this wagon one fixed for less than $8k. Things can add up fast.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• Options
    Michaell said:

A HS friend of mine will string along the IRS "collection" folks, and repost the conversations on Facebook. Here's one from a few weeks ago:

So, the IRS scammers are at it again. Had one on the phone for about 10 minutes. Talking about the taxes due and owing for (son's name). I told him my name was Robert Dewey, Esquire from the Law Offices of Dewey, Cheatem and Howe. And that I was representing my client.

Apparently (son) is a serial under reporter of income. Since the age of 8. He has underreported his income by over $250,000 (the little twerp, I knew it). But that they will “settle” the claim for $6,372.50. I asked if there was a discount if we brought cash to the settlement. That tossed him for a loop. He kept saying we cant take cash. So, I said “come on, lets say I pay you $4000 directly....Cash....you can make this go away, right?” He got real quiet and said “How can we do that?”, I said “I’ll meet you outside your building.” He had previously told me he was calling from the IRS office in downtown Baltimore (More like Mumbai). He said “My building?” I said “Yes, you told me you worked in the Baltimore office of the IRS”. And he confirmed that again. So I said “Your office at 31 Hopkins Plaza in Baltimore”. He then said “oh”. So I said “well, I could wire it to you”.

At this point he paused again. I said “I’ll wire it right now, all I need is your bank account number, The routing number, your date of birth, mothers maiden name, social security number and password to your online banking”

He then paused, and then he hung up.

I'll also note that said friend is a retired Assistant Director from the FBI, focusing on money laundering. The stories are hilarious.

The IRS left me a message today saying an arrest warrant had been issued for me !
  • Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,166
    houdini2 said:

The IRS left me a message today saying an arrest warrant had been issued for me !

I should have been arrested three times already according to the "IRS robolady", anyway.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,096
    Who knew that certain members here were such desperadoes! B)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options

Am I sick or what? I keep looking at the Kia Soul as a replacement for my wife’s car. It has the higher seat high that makes it easy for her to get in and out and I’m impressed with the useable interior space. The ones I’ve driven handle and move acceptably. No, it won’t win any races but is looking better and better as a cheap grocery getter. I guess I’d prefer a Honda HR-V but at an Edmunds TMV near $16k for a 2019 the Soul appeals to my cheapskate nature.

A friend of mine has a 2009 that he bought new. He loves it and it has 140,000 miles. It is that ugly metallic green color but still looks new. He is pretty well off and could drive anything he wanted.
  • Options
    driver100 said:

tjc78 said:

Came across this in another forum... had to laugh. 

I think they were quoting the president of GM when he was having a very good dream one night!
    Prepare for the wrath of Imid !!!
  • Options

Yikes! He was willing to pay bid + fees $4500 for that wagon? I wouldn’t pay that for a non-wreck with 135k miles.

I can see someone with an existing shop being able to fix those cars up but the average Joe would get eaten alive.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    Regarding that IRS is going to arrest you message, I usually tell my wife she has a message from 'IRS'.
    Should be 'The IRS'.
    Worst case maybe we can share cells.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    OF, he bid a max of $3,300. slightly better. someone was $50 braver. it sold for $3,350 (I think + fees)

and if you see a non-wreck one of those for $4,500, snap it up for me. I will even give you an extra $200 for your trouble.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    houdini2 said:

bwia said:

I debated about posting this story all weekend, but since no names are involved, and it’s sorta driving related, I’m going to.

One of my best friends (I was Best Man at his wedding many, many years ago) called me at 5:00 a.m. Saturday morning. That has never happened before, particularly with my friend.

He had been picked up for suspicion of driving under the influence. I don’t know if he was drinking, or he wasn’t. But, he’s going through a nasty divorce and I told him a few times recently that drowning his sorrows in a bottle is not a good idea. Doing it and getting behind the wheel is an even worse idea.

He lives in a County just east of me. I’m not THAT familiar with the area, but they had put him, in what looked like to me, a highly secure trailer that they can move around. I guess they use these whenever they set up an checkpoint? Or, when they’re combing an area for DUI drivers?

I don’t know how the whole process works. I thought they took you to the nearest jail, and I don’t even now where that is. Apparently, there’s a different procedure for DUIs?

They picked him up at around 11:00 p.m. and didn’t release him until the next morning (ergo, the phone call I got).

Was he drunk? Didn’t seem like it to me, but I wasn’t with him at 11:00 p.m., either. He said they picked him up for crossing a yellow line. He said it was very dark and if he did cross the yellow line, it was just barely and in a split second. Again, I don’t know how all of this works. He argued with the arresting officer (bad move on his part). I guess he became somewhat defensive when the officer told him why he was pulled over and he would not cooperate with the officer who was trying to give him a field sobriety test.

From that point, I guess it became “assume the position”.

Lots of details I don’t have. I just took him straight home. I didn’t smell any alcohol, but I have not been trained to, either. He went into hiding Saturday and yesterday.

Finally reached him this a.m. He apologized profusely for getting me out of bed to pick him up (was irritated at the time, but what are friends for?). He said he had a beer with a burger at a bar/restaurant he went to listen to a band.

I dunno? Would they arrest you for drinking a beer? Two? Three? I’m thinking he had more than one. But, he’s 6’3”...230#-240#. It would take more than a beer (or even 2 or 3) to get him drunk....especially if he’d also had something to eat.

I don’t know if he took a breathalyzer or failed the physical tests, if he even acquiesced and did any of those tests?

Anyway, he told me he talked to his lawyer who saw the video from the police cam this a.m. He said that it was pretty skimpy evidence for pulling someone over for a DUI. He’s going to try to get the charges reduced. But, for the lawyer to even try? $3K....up front......that’s just for a plea, and not an actual trial. Plus, if guilty, fines and fees would match that. Then there’s the insurance pound of flesh.

As I told my friend, not only are you now going back and forth to court for your divorce, you’ll be going back and forth for what could be a DUI. He can’t wait for this year to be over.
    In NY refusal of breath test is grounds for license suspension no matter what the other outcome. He may win the case but lose his license.

If this is your friend`s first DUI and if he wasn't too abusive to the cop, and had not taken any illicit drugs he probably will be given a warning.

Showing up in court with a lawyer is perhaps not a good strategy. It says I'm guilty and i'm going to buy my way out of this predicament. Instead he should appear to be contrite and throw himself on the mercy of the court. If he is tearful and sincere in his plea he just might walk Scott free.

Not sure about that strategy OF. I think those judges and attorneys are all friends, and they like to see each other making a good living !

That was Bwia’s strategy not mine. I disagreed with him on that.

I agree with you about the judges, attorneys and various counseling agencies all making a good living off this.

Usually the condition of reducing charges on DUIs is to get an addiction assessment. Surprise, surprise, everyone is diagnosed as needing treatment which the court always orders.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    Yep. If I was looking for one of those, and saw a rebuilt car, I would keep walking. I am risk-averse, especially with cars of that era. They can be troublesome enough even when babied their whole life.

It would have to be pretty immaculate, with no history, to be worth 20K. It's in the fun zone of being too old to be new, too new to be old.
    boomchek said:

I've come across some horribly repaired rebuilds that people wanted to trade in during my years in the car biz. Misaligned body panels, permanently messed up alignment, bad repaints, etc..

We always appraise rebuilds at about half the value of a clean title car especially if it's a newer model vehicle. I did own a older rebuilt 93 Civic years ago that was actually quite reliable BUT it was a simple 93 Civic so even if something was to go wrong it would be a simple repair.

The Mercedes wagon in the video looks cool but I doubt he can get mid to high teens for it after its been repaired. Most people that have that much cash to pay for an older "collector" type car probably have a bit more to spend on one that's near mint with clean title.

I also agree that it would be tough to get this wagon one fixed for less than $8k. Things can add up fast.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Coming soon a drone-like hoverbike. Starting price, $150,000; pics/video to come.

• Options
    driver100 said:

"

graphicguy"

Not to be negative but sometimes things happen for a reason and is better to fold them than to hold them. I am thinking you had a pretty good run with the PT, it might be a good time to bail. It may be hard to get $2500 for it privately, and a dealer may not want it as a trade.

If it needs a major repair after you get it fixed up, you will be sorry you didn't trade it in when you could have just taken the money and ran.

All good points and I may yet pull the plug on the old clunker. I have a hard time giving up on such a low mile (45k) car though. I definitely won’t be keeping it after next year.

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Okay, it's official. The software here is haywire. Just now, on my home computer, I get the login page. I went through the proper steps, pick "forums" way down at the bottom of the main page, then "sign in or register". The result was the WRONG sign in page. Started over, second time through, I got to the right sign-in page.

Trust me on this, I have made a living off computers and computer skills for 45 years. This site is screwy louie.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    stickguy said:

OF, he bid a max of $3,300. slightly better. someone was $50 braver. it sold for $3,350 (I think + fees)

and if you see a non-wreck one of those for $4,500, snap it up for me. I will even give you an extra $200 for your trouble.

Yeah, he bid $3300 but must have been using a broker because at the end he mentioned it would cost him $4500.

A lot of those auctions are ruined by Snipers with auto bid software that swoop in with a topping bid at the last micro second.

I bet I could have had that banged up A5 I saw in the parking lot today for cheap. The owner probably is despondent.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    @oldfarmer50,
    I know the radiator bracket is bent, but is it leaking anything?
    Could be a lot of not a big deal going on.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    henryn said:

Okay, it's official. The software here is haywire. Just now, on my home computer, I get the login page. I went through the proper steps, pick "forums" way down at the bottom of the main page, then "sign in or register". The result was the WRONG sign in page. Started over, second time through, I got to the right sign-in page.

Trust me on this, I have made a living off computers and computer skills for 45 years. This site is screwy louie.

I've been seeing autocomplete involved in giving me the wrong page. I use XP and Win 10 laptops with Chrome and Edge mostly as browsers. Occasionally I get something else added on from a recent url apparently to the "forums.edmunds.com" that should autocomplete when I type "fo..." Autocomplete ends up with https://forums.edmunds.com when it properly picks the right step.

If I get the wrong sign in, I just redo the url carefully and slowly making sure I put in just what I said above.

If anything else is added at the end of the url, I sometimes get the login box in the middle of the page--this is NOT the log in box on edmunds.com|research|autos and advice|car forums. Other times I get a log in box on the left.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    henryn said:

Soon we will be seeing henryn2.

One thing, jmonroe2 and houdini2 are much funnier than the original.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,096
    I just had to login in on my iPhone and this time I got another different login screen - might have been a Vanilla forums screen or maybe not, never saw it before. Maybe it looked different because it was on the phone.  I used the autocomplete suggestions but the login failed as usual. 

I did did the usual workaround of going to Edmunds main page and logging in there and this time it worked. Progress I suppose not having spinning wheels and having to try 3 or 4 times. 

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited November 2018
    So the TTS dominated again at the local 1/8 mile drag strip set up on Friday Nights by Race Legal at Qualcomm Statdium's parking lot.

No one could beat me. Thought there were faster cars there, I just happened to never get lined up next to any of them.

Next time I'll take the All Track to give people a chance.

This next weekend is an HDPE track weekend.

'15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    edited November 2018
    andres3 said:
    So the TTS dominated again at the local 1/8 mile drag strip set up on Friday Nights by Race Legal at Qualcomm Statdium's parking lot. No one could beat me. Thought there were faster cars there, I just happened to never get lined up next to any of them. Next time I'll take the All Track to give people a chance. This next weekend is an HDPE track weekend.
    Pretty sure I could never go to a dragstrip in NJ and not get line up with a new mustang GT or Camaro SS at least a couple of times. ;)

Although, unless equipped with a very good driver, your quattro and DSG on an 1/8-mile is still likely the winner against even those.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Speaking of the hoverbike I mentioned yesterday. Here is an NBC news video. Not sure if the link works, but here goes. https://youtu.be/GQMGq8gk6QM
  • Options
    boomchek said:
    Don't be to sure on that, most people aren't the car guys that you find on boards like here. Also there are those with BHPH budgets that want something like a MB even if all they can do is drop "my Benz" into a conversation. Then there are 4hose who can't tell a salvage title from birdcage linings. Do a ven diagram of those three and you can get a decent sized overlap. It might take a while to find these people but they are out there.

And yes I used to know someone who bought a broken down BMW just so he could social climb and impress people by saying he had a BMW. 

• Options
    bwia said:

Speaking of the hoverbike I mentioned yesterday. Here is an NBC news video. Not sure if the link works, but here goes. https://youtu.be/GQMGq8gk6QM

That’s a massive carnage video that’s just begging to happen.
  • Options
    Same guy who’s going to repair the AMG Wagon taking a shot at an R8 with a cracked frame. I love this guy’s chutzpah. Not sure I’d want to use the R8 as a daily driver after his fix. But, sure made for interesting viewing.

https://autoweek.com/article/diy/we-wish-guy-whos-rebuilding-totaled-audi-r8-best-luck-because-hes-going-need-it
  • Options
    edited November 2018

boomchek said:

And yes I used to know someone who bought a broken down BMW just so he could social climb and impress people by saying he had a BMW

I had a guy in my Entrepreneurs Course who's plan was to buy 10 year old Jaguars, people couldn't tell one year from the next and he could pick them up really cheap.