Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,979
    stickguy said:

I know they wanted to keep history, but it seems like trying that caused a ton of issues. Might have been better to just make everyone reenroll in the new forum and start fresh.

and lose my 22750 posts!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    stickguy said:

Driver, just buy a new car instead. Problem solved!

lol.....but, I love this car stick, .....and new cars don't have dash cams installed.

Now, if they sold stick on blind spot mirrors the car would be perfect.

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    tjc78 said:

@graphicguy
    They must be trying little fixes, because for the first time today the login actually worked as designed on my work computer (Win 10; Chrome).

I was signed out, then was actually able to simply click the link to re-sign in. Every other time in this scenario I had to scroll to the bottom of the screen, click on Automobile Forums, and then log-in.

Seems like they’re trying to cure cancer with bandaids.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,806
    tyguy said:

My Tesla records about an hour on a loop (first in first out), but if there's something you want to save, then you press the little camera icon on the screen and it'll save the last 10 minutes of driving. All that data goes on a USB drive that you insert into one of the ports upfront. Pretty slick. I think the aftermarket units' length of recording depends on the data storage capacity.

Definitely does!

I put had a 64GB unit in my Blackvue 750, and it was not able to store a full day of driving (round trip to Anchorage and back, about 15 hours total footage). I was going to do a compilation video on it, but found that the earliest footage I had was south of Willow on the way down (e.g., most of the way to Anchorage already).

So, I now have a 128GB card. Problem solved there! :)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    driver100 said:

lol.....but, I love this car stick, .....and new cars don't have dash cams installed.

I may be mis-reading the last statement regarding blind spot mirrors. I use 2" convex stick-ons on the outside lower corner of each side mirror for all my vehicles. Fantastic addition of a basic safety feature (and way more useful/reliable than radar)!

Ford vehicles have built-in convex mirrors, too. I like the rounds far better than the factory units, but is a good add over flat glass!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    And, of course by the time I was home last night, I was ready to eat dinner. Did that, changed clothes, went outside and fired up the plow truck. Came back a couple hours later from plowing... completely spaced the simple task of a few photos. :(
  • Options
    xwesx said:

driver100 said:

I may be mis-reading the last statement regarding blind spot mirrors. I use 2" convex stick-ons on the outside lower corner of each side mirror for all my vehicles. Fantastic addition of a basic safety feature (and way more useful/reliable than radar)!

Ford vehicles have built-in convex mirrors, too. I like the rounds far better than the factory units, but is a good add over flat glass!
    Actually xw, the mirrors are well placed in the C250, one of the best I have experienced. You get a pretty good view to the rear, but still have to swoop across. I did mean the blind spot monitoring systems that flash if there is a car in the blind spots, and make a noise if a car is next to you when you signal to go over.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,339
    I would saw that if you wouldn't put one of the plugins from the insurance company in your car because it monitors how you drive, you may not want to put in a dash cam. They are a 2 way street.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,185
    With my cam, you push a button for x seconds, and it formats the card B)
  • Options
    @fintail, Good to know! Driver100 are you paying attention? :)
  • Options

I would saw that if you wouldn't put one of the plugins from the insurance company in your car because it monitors how you drive, you may not want to put in a dash cam. They are a 2 way street.

I don't want an insurance company monitor in my car. What if I have to jam on my brakes because someone cuts me off or a kid runs onto the road. Do I get marked because I braked too hard? Sometimes I have to speed up to enter I-75....does quick acceleration give me demerit points? I always lose when it comes to these kinds of ways to save plans.

• Options
    @driver100,
    My point is if you install a camera, you may have to deal with the police instead.
  • Options

@driver100,
    My point is if you install a camera, you may have to deal with the police instead.

I wasn't sure.....if I cause the accident I rip the camera out and throw it out the window....really fast. Maybe swallow the SD card.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    @driver100,
    You should take it to a vet to start to check on its' health.
    Are going to consider keeping once the warranty is up? ;)
  • Options
    driver100 said:

Mrs D had to have another dog. We tried adopting and rescue places, filled out forms, they don't get back and dogs she asks about mysteriously disappear from the site and we don't get a chance, so we went to a "puppy store" Meet Trixie....3 months old, a Shorkie - Shitsu/Yorkie. Now the fun starts....crying and house training, what did we do?

Adorable! I'm happy for you guys. Enjoy the fun.
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,690
    driver100 said:

venture said:

driver100 said:

I am checking on dashcams. One dealer has a model they get...camera plus installation would be $400 to $500.
    I found these on Amazon:
    Dashcam, Built into Mirror, with Rear View Camera, Built In Installation
    I have no idea what model I would need. I like the idea of it being in the mirror, I want it to look built in with no wires showing, easy as possible installation, has to record from the front at least.

One of them has batteries and if your car is banged from the rear it will start recording immediately. It is too new for reviews.

The one I am thinking of is this one....will it do what I want it to do?
    ToGuard Mirror Cam

The one you linked has a back-up camera too. Is that what you want or do you want one that records front and rear?

When I was looking a few weeks ago I went to Best Buy and told them what I wanted. They had it and installed it. No wires showing.
    I could be wrong venture but Best Buy just shows one bulky looking one...but, I will try again to see if they have what I want. Their website shows what Geek prices are for installing. I want one that 1) fits over the rear view mirror 2) records from the front 3) has a camera for the rear - only want it for backing up, NOT recording 4) no wires showing (Do you know if the rear camera is hooked up using wires or is it wireless to the dash/mirror?.
    It looks like from the picture of the one I was interested in...you press a button on the mirror to see behind you.
    Thanks for the info....I will definitely try BB again.
    Be careful of cameras that display on the mirror particularly if you want to use it as a back up camera. We have some vans that do that and the image is so small as to be useless. Even my Mustang which has a 4” by 3” screen on the dash isn’t all that good.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Cute dog, but Driver, how would you like it if your wife dressed you up like that :D
  • Options
    driver100 said:

I don't want an insurance company monitor in my car. What if I have to jam on my brakes because someone cuts me off or a kid runs onto the road. Do I get marked because I braked too hard? Sometimes I have to speed up to enter I-75....does quick acceleration give me demerit points? I always lose when it comes to these kinds of ways to save plans.
    As I suggested before, install it on your car as it goes into storage. Instantly best driver on the road, no hard braking, no speeding, no sudden exceleration.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,332
    driver100 said:

@driver100,

I wasn't sure.....if I cause the accident I rip the camera out and throw it out the window....really fast. Maybe swallow the SD card.
    Not a good idea as it is evidence and there are penalties for destroying evidence. Courts automatically presume that any destroyed evidence implicates the one who destroyed the evidence. It's called spoliation inference.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,332
    Just found out that Bob Einstein passed away yesterday.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    He was a funny guy.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Got to drive a 2019 Camaro convertible with 5 miles on the odo today. Brand new. Boy, I thought the Mustang was hard to get into and had limited visibility. This was like looking through the viewing slit in a tank. I’m guessing it had the 2.0L turbo engine. Wasn’t bad but didn’t do the car justice. I think I prefer the Mustang 4 cyl turbo.

I liked the hood not sticking out like the Mustang does. The handling might be superior too, very flat and controlled. The interior was pretty cheap as you’d expect for a rental. Black is not a good color for cars with small windows.

When I dropped it off at the rental office both the manager and I said simultaneously, “what is a rear wheel drive convertible doing in NY in January?”

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,104
    @driver100 , Trixie is really cute!

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    @driver100

I wish you and Mrs. Driver many years of happiness with Trixie.  Cute as a botton!  Much better than having more kids, that’s for sure.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    berri said:

Cute dog, but Driver, how would you like it if your wife dressed you up like that :D

The store did that after we bought and paid for Trixie..........she has taken it off since then.

• Options

driver100 said:

As I suggested before, install it on your car as it goes into storage. Instantly best driver on the road, no hard braking, no speeding, no sudden exceleration.
    They'll think I am comatose.

• Options

driver100 said:

@driver100,

Not a good idea as it is evidence and there are penalties for destroying evidence. Courts automatically presume that any destroyed evidence implicates the one who destroyed the evidence. It's called spoliation inference.
    Besides, they might want to wait until the SD card becomes available....through natural means.

• Options

Got to drive a 2019 Camaro convertible with 5 miles on the odo today. Brand new. Boy, I thought the Mustang was hard to get into and had limited visibility. This was like looking through the viewing slit in a tank.

I saw a beautiful Camaro the other day....I actually liked it, and then I thought about those tiny windows. Maybe it is the car for introverts.

• Options
    abacomike said:

@driver100

I wish you and Mrs. Driver many years of happiness with Trixie.  Cute as a botton!  Much better than having more kids, that’s for sure.

I think we have kids when we are young....for a reason Mike. Hopefully Trixie will catch on fast.
    btw I got this note the 2019 CLS is now out. looks good, but small windows and low roof are also meant for younger people.

• Options
    Thanks for your kind remarks about Trixie,,,,much appreciated.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,371
    I had my first staff meeting yesterday. As I mentioned before, one of my assistants is a gentleman who ran the largest Commonwealth's Attorney office in the state for over a decade. We've been friends for years and he's also a car nut. At the meeting he told m,e he just picked up a new Cayman; we are going to trade cars and compare notes. This is going to be fun- business and pleasure...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 2020 C43 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options

I had my first staff meeting yesterday. As I mentioned before, one of my assistants is a gentleman who ran the largest Commonwealth's Attorney office in the state for over a decade. We've been friends for years and he's also a car nut. At the meeting he told m,e he just picked up a new Cayman; we are going to trade cars and compare notes. This is going to be fun- business and pleasure...

I change my mind, YOU have the best retirement job. :D

• Options

Just found out that Bob Einstein passed away yesterday.

https://youtu.be/j6Va5rpv_Uw

• Options
    Hah! So funny!
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    @driver100

I took a few photos today to show the layout of the Blackvue system.

The camera from the front end of the vehicle looking through the windshield. You can see that it tucks up in front of the mirror, with subtle wiring, and the lens essentially down the center of the vehicle:

This is the driver's view, looking at the rearview mirror. From the driver seat, one cannot see that the camera is even mounted. The wires for the camera run down the factory chase for the rearview camera (with its auto-dimming and Homelink functions):

The rear camera inside the vehicle. I zoomed in on it from the front seat, so it looks a lot bigger than it appears through the mirror. Unfortunately, I could not get a non-zoomed image to focus due to the low light available:

And, finally, this is the appearance of that camera from the back of the car (outside). Normally, an observer would not even notice it there due to the tint of the glass:

Apologies; it is -10F here today (was nearly +30F when I said I would take the photos; that's procrastination for you), so frost is a constant companion. :)
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,158
    xwesx said:
    Great post explaining and showing the cameras.

With all that white stuff on the vehicle showing, you're going to scare our Florida folks. LOL

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    Those are great pictures xw. Those were exactly the kind of things I was wondering about. The model I chose can be mounted on rear window, or a small hole has to be drilled into the trunk. I am debating which one I prefer.
    I had no idea how the Homelink would work and if there were wires showing....so this really cleared it up for me.

I see in picture #2 you have heavy duty gloves on.....thanks for taking those pictures under very difficult circumstances.

• Options
    oldfarmer50"Just found out that Bob Einstein passed away yesterday.

Super Dave Video

What a wonderful unique sense of humor.

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,892
    driver100 said:

Venture, and anyone interested in Dash Cam with Back Up Camera. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    I checked Best Buy and most cameras are pretty bulky and are more expensive than Amazon. I chose the camera I like, it is this model:

When I looked up the camera I see that Amazon says if you want it installed, they will connect you with a shop that will do the installation, estimate $199. There is a choice of 3 shops, all with 5 out of 5 stars. This is their guarantee and how you proceed;

This is the camera I am thinking of....Reg $230 for $130.
    CHICOM Mirror Dash Cam Backup Camera 9.66" Full Touch Screen Stream Media Dual Lens Full HD Reverse Camera,1080P 170° Full HD Front and 1080P 140°Wide Angle Full HD Rear View Camera,24-Hour Parking

What happens next?
    You'll get an email from your pro to confirm the date time and other details of your backup camera and sensor installation. Please be prepared to provide your pro the exact product name of the backup camera and sensor you need installed or, even better, the Amazon product URL links. Installation times can vary widely between specific product and vehicle models.
    Why should I hire a pro to install my backup camera and sensor?
    Backup camera installation can be a time consuming and difficult process. A pro will have the right tools and experience to make sure your backup camera and sensor installation is as quick and safe as possible.
    What if something goes wrong?
    We stand behind every service with our Happiness Guarantee. If you’re not satisfied with your backup camera and sensor installation, we’ll make it right or give you a full refund

I love Amazon. You get the camera you want, they figure out what parts you will need, they know how much this particular unit will cost to install, they guaranty it all. Just about foolproof.

If that one has the features you want then go for it. After reading enough reviews I never know what to buy anyway. I like to buy brands I know. Mine is a Cobra. They have been around for a long time and I figured they use quality parts. I guess I will find out, but it has worked as designed for a few weeks now.

My car has a back-up camera so I didn't need that. The install was a little tricky since my Legacy has Eyesight. Subaru recommends areas of the windshield that are to remain clear. I was going to have them install it behind the mirror so as not to obstruct my vision, but decided to put it on the passenger side since my car has automatic high beams and the sensor is on the back of the mirror.

This is from the inside:

...and this is the rear window. The camera is in the middle - top.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,104
    driver100 said:

Will you need to apply for papers to give Trixie Canadian citizenship before going back home?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    ab348 said:

driver100 said:

Will you need to apply for papers to give Trixie Canadian citizenship before going back home?
    They may have to pay a tariff for importing a dog... LOL

But it will be worth it.

• Options
    @driver I don't remember which but I either encouraged you to find another dog after your last one passed on because you obviously have so much to share with a dog. I probably encouraged your looking into rescuing one.

Or I predicted you would get one before too long.

Really glad you have a new family member.

• Options
    driver100 said:
    @driver100

I think we have kids when we are young....for a reason Mike. Hopefully Trixie will catch on fast. btw I got this note the 2019 CLS is now out. looks good, but small windows and low roof are also meant for younger people.
    Nice looking car.  But, after 14 months and 9700 miles, I am still in love with this S450!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    edited January 2019
    I’ve been running my AC every day these past few weeks - been in the mid 80’s every day and in the mid 70’s every night with high humidity.  Those folks who came to South Florida for winter break sure got their money’s worth this year.

As I walked through the mall I saw many people with sunburns.  This is very unusual for this time of year.  The forecast for the next 10 days is for highs in the mid to upper 70’s and lows at night in the high 50’s to mid 60’s. Those are more normal temps for December - February.

Come on down guys - it’s really nice down here for a change.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    driver100 said:

I see in picture #2 you have heavy duty gloves on.....thanks for taking those pictures under very difficult circumstances.

Hah! Well, I was just out caring for the animals, so I brought in the frozen water containers then swapped out to the camera without changing to more moderate gear.
  • Options
    abacomike said:

The forecast for the next 10 days is for highs in the mid to upper 70’s and lows at night in the high 50’s to mid 60’s. Those are more normal temps for December - February.

Come on down guys - it’s really nice down here for a change.

Oh, I don't know. It sounds awfully hot to me! I only have a few pair of shorts. I think heatstroke would be in my future if I attempted it! :D
  • Options
    houdini2houdini2 Member Posts: 409
    Market is looking good this morning. Just waiting for some politician who is probably shorting a few stocks to shoot his mouth off and cause market to drop 500 points.
  • Options
    abacomike said:

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

@driver100

I think we have kids when we are young....for a reason Mike. Hopefully Trixie will catch on fast.
    btw I got this note the 2019 CLS is now out. looks good, but small windows and low roof are also meant for younger people.

Nice looking car.  But, after 14 months and 9700 miles, I am still in love with this S450!

No doubt about it, that is one fine looking automobile.

• Options
    venture said:

driver100 said:

Venture, and anyone interested in Dash Cam with Back Up Camera. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    I checked Best Buy and most cameras are pretty bulky and are more expensive than Amazon. I chose the camera I like, it is this model:

When I looked up the camera I see that Amazon says if you want it installed, they will connect you with a shop that will do the installation, estimate $199. There is a choice of 3 shops, all with 5 out of 5 stars. This is their guarantee and how you proceed;

This is the camera I am thinking of....Reg $230 for $130.
    CHICOM Mirror Dash Cam Backup Camera 9.66" Full Touch Screen Stream Media Dual Lens Full HD Reverse Camera,1080P 170° Full HD Front and 1080P 140°Wide Angle Full HD Rear View Camera,24-Hour Parking

What happens next?
    You'll get an email from your pro to confirm the date time and other details of your backup camera and sensor installation. Please be prepared to provide your pro the exact product name of the backup camera and sensor you need installed or, even better, the Amazon product URL links. Installation times can vary widely between specific product and vehicle models.
    Why should I hire a pro to install my backup camera and sensor?
    Backup camera installation can be a time consuming and difficult process. A pro will have the right tools and experience to make sure your backup camera and sensor installation is as quick and safe as possible.
    What if something goes wrong?
    We stand behind every service with our Happiness Guarantee. If you’re not satisfied with your backup camera and sensor installation, we’ll make it right or give you a full refund

I love Amazon. You get the camera you want, they figure out what parts you will need, they know how much this particular unit will cost to install, they guaranty it all. Just about foolproof.

If that one has the features you want then go for it. After reading enough reviews I never know what to buy anyway. I like to buy brands I know. Mine is a Cobra. They have been around for a long time and I figured they use quality parts. I guess I will find out, but it has worked as designed for a few weeks now.

My car has a back-up camera so I didn't need that. The install was a little tricky since my Legacy has Eyesight. Subaru recommends areas of the windshield that are to remain clear. I was going to have them install it behind the mirror so as not to obstruct my vision, but decided to put it on the passenger side since my car has automatic high beams and the sensor is on the back of the mirror.

...and this is the rear window. The camera is in the middle - top.

The pictures help a lot venture. I don't mind the front camera up in the corner on the passenger side. I wanted to see where the rear one goes if placed in the window....which you showed quite well. If they put it inside I would just do that. I like Cobra brand too, but these days I find reviews to be pretty accurate if used wisely.
    Thanks.........I will go for it soon, kind of got my hands full with Trixie around right now.