Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    thebean said:

tjc78 said:

Braun electric... never a blade again

Well, not never. About every 2 years, if you replace the shaver head, you will be amazed at the difference. I bought the Braun without the cleaner doohickey (just clean with liquid soap every 3 shaves), so there’s money saved.

The real rabbit hole is old style double edge shaving. Yes, it’s cheaper than cartridges, but you get sucked into buying fancy brushes and shaving cream and before you know it, you got several hundred invested. ☹️
    True ... I dropped it once so I did have to replace the head.

I have the cleaner thing. I like it, refills last awhile and aren’t that expensive on Amazon. (Shh, don’t tell anyone we have some Amazon haters here)

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977
    PF_Flyer said:

I've always wanted to get a good straight razor, but I'm not sure I have enough first aid items stocked up! ;)

Probably kill yourself if one of those barber ones. But, a Gillette type is pretty well "fool proof"
    My father used to work for Schick electric razors, and I loyally only used them. One day I went to work as assistant manager for a well known retail chain store....and I realized I forgot to shave that morning. I ran down to the drug store in the mall, and bought shaving cream and a razor. Came back, shaved, and never used an electric again.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options

driver100 said:

Well, we have just had a post about notification for updating mail boxes. Here is a new topic, never before mentioned around here.
    How many shaves can you get out of a Gillette Mach 3 Blade?
    It has the strip on it....but, that isn't very reliable.

I would say that's very dependent on to many variables. The question I have is how many shaves per dollar can you get out of a Mach 3 vs a decent twin blade disposable?
    I don't like flimsy wannabe disposables. Theoretically, I suppose they use the same blades, but, they don't have the same "feel of the face", especially on hills and curves. I like the weight and design and superior engineering of a real razor.

I use 2 blades a month....change on the 1st and 15th usually, the blue strip is pretty well gone by then.

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,676
    ab348 said:

I suspect a lot of Cascada are leased. So returned vehicles that are CPO within the 4/50 Buick warranty should be available from 3-year leases. I see more of them than I would expect to see in this area.

A lot of them went into rental fleets too. Their sales didn't exactly burn up the charts.
    I’ve never seen them in our fleet.(although some of the staff at our office drive them) Maybe down in places like Florida where convertibles are in demand. I remember going to Tampa once when I was considering the Chrysler Crossfire and seeing whole rental lots full of them.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    suydam said:

driver100 said:

Well, we have just had a post about notification for updating mail boxes. Here is a new topic, never before mentioned around here.
    How many shaves can you get out of a Gillette Mach 3 Blade?
    It has the strip on it....but, that isn't very reliable.

What’s next, a discussion on bath soap vs body wash? TMI!
    I hate body washes. With soap, you actually have it in your hand and you know what you have washed and what you haven't. With body wash it gets washed away before it goes on and you might just be washing with water.

Always start with the face....... :D

• Options
    Hey ab, I got 1000 lols too and there are more mentioned.
    Car Forums at Edmunds.com
    You earned the 1,000 LOLs badge.
    people have earned this badge.

Most recent recipients
    driver100driver100 7:00PM
    ab348ab348 1:53PM
    fintailfintail 1:31PM
    stickguystickguy 1:31PM
    qbrozenqbrozen 10:49AM

Maybe they caught up on the rewards, even though some are way over.
    Who is winning the most flagged contest? :@

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    Just got that Thermofore heating pad I ordered yesterday from Amazon - exactly 24 hours from warehouse to my house.

I plugged it in and was amazed at how much the product has improved in 30 years. Great quality - delivers moist heat to the area in need of pain reduction. Thermofore is the brand name - still made in Battle Creek, MI, after all these years.

Re: Razors

I use a Remington electric razor - does a good job for 24 hours. But when I use the Fusion blade razor, I can get away with 2 days per shave. I get about 30-35 shaves per blade (so long as it’s my face I am shaving)! 🤪

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    edited August 2019

stickguy said:

I assumed the Sebring is no burner, and you don't really drive it hard. But, gotta be comfortable with the amount of HP or you won't be happy.

It's a little sluggish but it can keep up with the normal flow of traffic. However it wont win many races.
    Depending on which generation Chrysler 4 you have it produces either 150 or 175hp. My Sebring 6cyl. only puts out 163 but fortunately that Mitsu motor is torquey so it feels faster. You don’t buy a convertible to race, just to cruise and look cool.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    edited August 2019
    They're really able to keep track of @driver100 with 3 Mercedes...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/9756250/mercedes-spies-drivers-tracking-devices/

"The secret sensors, fitted to all new and used motors sold by the firm’s dealers, pinpoint the vehicle’s exact location."

There's a lot more to the article about, supposedly, when the trackers are "activated."

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    PF_Flyer said:

I've always wanted to get a good straight razor, but I'm not sure I have enough first aid items stocked up! ;)

Watching a barber give a straight razor shave was a thing of beauty--chemistry in action.
    The hot lather mixed up in a cup and brushed onto the beard. A hot wet towel applied over
    the face for a few minutes. Allowed to stand to soften the cuticle layer, and then shaved expertly
    by a straight razor.

I loved to watch that process when I was a youngster.

My last barber said they weren't allowed to shave anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tinqoTbMvOc

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    My wife found a BMW 128i convertible she wanted to look at. So away to the BMW dealership we went to today. Unfortunately they had just got the car in as a trade in Saturday and today it was in the service department, since they ordered new tires and the old ones were off we could only take a peek at it in the service bay.

Talking to the sales lady my wife started to have second thoughts when she discussed the cost of maintenance on it.

Interesting thing is this is the third time this dealership is selling this car. The orginal owner came back a few years later and traded it in on another car and the person who bought it did the same.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    not that uncommon for a convertible high end brand to flip every couple years IMO.

if you are really worried about running costs, stick with another Chrysler, or a Mustang. Maybe the Lexus, which is going to cost more up front but at least you have a chance it won't be breaking down a lot!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/9756250/mercedes-spies-drivers-tracking-devices/

"The secret sensors, fitted to all new and used motors sold by the firm’s dealers, pinpoint the vehicle’s exact location."

There's a lot more to the article about, supposedly, when the trackers are "activated."

It doesn't bother me one bit. I have no intention of 1) financing a Mercedes or 2) not paying for a car I buy. I reported about 2 months ago, that we were talking about getting a new sink, and Alexa must have picked that up as we started getting ads for new sinks. I don't care,,,,if they want to listen to my conversations they aren't going to find out much that is interesting.

• Options
    stickguy said:

not that uncommon for a convertible high end brand to flip every couple years IMO.

if you are really worried about running costs, stick with another Chrysler, or a Mustang. Maybe the Lexus, which is going to cost more up front but at least you have a chance it won't be breaking down a lot!

Yes, maybe kept trading in for a newer BMW every few years. That would mean he liked it.
    Upkeep will cost less if you have a good indie garage.
    Not too many cars are going to be more pleasurable to drive....but, if saving money is more important go with a Lexus. Guess they don't have a Camry convertible like this Solara;

Too bad they still don't make Corolla convertibles like this 83

• Options
    edited August 2019
    stickguy said:

Is this near Snake?

https://rockford.craigslist.org/cto/d/dekalb-lexus-sc-miles-new-like/6950066081.html

• Options
    close enough to Chicago so can't be too far! That one looks nice and babied. No worries about being sluggish with the V8 either.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    You also have no intention of moving to Limeyland no doubt. People would be howling if it was here.
    driver100 said:

It doesn't bother me one bit. I have no intention of 1) financing a Mercedes or 2) not paying for a car I buy. I reported about 2 months ago, that we were talking about getting a new sink, and Alexa must have picked that up as we started getting ads for new sinks. I don't care,,,,if they want to listen to my conversations they aren't going to find out much that is interesting.

• Options
    stickguy said:

Not overly worried about higher maintenance costs, I'll eat those costs for the wife. It was my wife who was concerned about it.

• Options

stickguy said:

Is this near Snake?

https://rockford.craigslist.org/cto/d/dekalb-lexus-sc-miles-new-like/6950066081.html
    Close enough, maybe 45 minutes or so. Might check it out.

• Options
    If you can DIY a few things, and have a good indie shop, if you aren't getting anything too exotic (like a 650i) a mainstream BMW should not cost that much to maintain anyway. Either the 2.0l turbo, or old school NA 3.0l 6

• Options
    I also got one of these;
    You earned the 1,000 Likes badge.
    10 earned this badge:
    driver100 August 19 abacomikeabacomike August 19 fintailfintail August 19 28firefighter28firefighter August 19 stickguystickguy August 19 roadburnerroadburner August 19 qbrozenqbrozen August 19
    kyfdxkyfdx August 19 nyccarguynyccarguy August 19 MichaellMichaell August 19

I want to thank my many fans and followers! :D

• Options
    fintail said:

You also have no intention of moving to Limeyland no doubt. People would be howling if it was here.

driver100 said:

I know, in most countries it is accepted you have to wear seat belts, you have to wear a helmet if you ride a motorcycle or bike....but, not necessarily everywhere. It is a nice quality to be able to do whatever you want, it can have some drawbacks. In Canada we are somewhat in the middle, but closer to the British as far as individual rights are concerned.

• Options

• Options
    edited August 2019
    driver100 said:

That occurred in GB. LOL. But it sounds like the ability is in all the vehicles. I recall several years back in the heat of the anti-GM era a few loud folks decided that OnStar's ability to locate the vehicle was a threat. There were rants and were stories about how to remove the GPS box from a GM vehicle...

• Options
    ab348 said:

Just got an email notification from Edmunds saying I earned the 1000 LOLs badge. It also said I am one of only 4 posters to receive such an honor, the others being @qbrozen, @stickguy and @fintail. I went into my profile to see who pushed me over the top and lo and behold, it said I had 1.3K LOLs, though when you click on it the actual number was 1,255 - rounded up. The 1000th would have been months ago. I guess the forums notifications function is a little behind the times.

According to my profile I have 1200 LOLs but I didn’t get no stinkin’ badge! :@

• Options

Imid, if I am not mistaken, the tracking device you alluded to is actually standard on most, if not all, Mercedes Benz vehicles. It’s a sub-routine of “Mbrace” which tracks vehicles reported stolen for police entities. BMW has the same type of system in its cars and SUV’s, as does Audi and many other auto manufacturers.

No doubt the telemetry system can be used clandestinely to retrieve location info for other reasons such as repossessions and felons sought by authorities or bail bondsmen apprehensions and police departments.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    They can track me all they want....they will track me to the tennis courts, pickleball courts and dog park.

I suppose, if law enforcement was looking for someone, they couldn't gain access to these records - right?
    Not that I would deal drugs or something at the dog park.

• Options
    I just noticed on the new Volvo when I signed into the smartphone app it shows exactly where it is parked.

It even has a driving activity recorder which is off by default.. Big brother... he is watching.

I really don't care... aside from bending a few speed laws I don't care who knows where I drive.

Work, kid's school, gym, home and occasionally Shop Rite

#boring

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,096
    driver100 said:

I also got one of these;
    10 earned this badge:
    driver100 August 19 abacomikeabacomike August 19 fintailfintail August 19 28firefighter28firefighter August 19 stickguystickguy August 19 roadburnerroadburner August 19 qbrozenqbrozen August 19

Must be fake news, I'm not listed yet I got the badge.

Actually I'm thinking maybe I should return it since it looks like it is no longer as exclusive a club as I originally thought it was, seems like they let anyone in! :D

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    stickguy said:

If you can DIY a few things, and have a good indie shop, if you aren't getting anything too exotic (like a 650i) a mainstream BMW should not cost that much to maintain anyway. Either the 2.0l turbo, or old school NA 3.0l 6

The sales lady told us that an oil change was $200 once every 12 months and you should have seen the look on my wifes face. That would be a bit more than a years worth of oil changes on both cars (2 changes per car) that we currently have. Yes I do know indie places are cheaper than dealerships.

FWIW the yearly oil change on the bike is just over $125, so high priced oil changes are not unknown to us.

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    tjc78 said:

Braun electric... never a blade again

Yeah...I switched to an electric about 5 years ago. The newer ones (like a Braun or Panasonic) aren’t cheap.....probably about $150-$200 for their top models with the self cleaning stands. But, they get mighty close to a blade shave. And, at least in my case, are much more comfortable to shave with.

They still offer blade shaves at my Barber shop. But, my guy has been doing barbering for a while. Plus, he’s the son of a Barber.

I find pre-shave “Williams Lectric Shave” (which is cheap) makes a pretty big difference in the comfort and closeness of my shave, too.

After initial purchase, I find I have to change the blade about every 2 years. Those cost about $30/ea. Cleaning solution is cheap, too.

Never looked back.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    driver100 said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

I know, in most countries it is accepted you have to wear seat belts, you have to wear a helmet if you ride a motorcycle or bike....but, not necessarily everywhere. It is a nice quality to be able to do whatever you want, it can have some drawbacks. In Canada we are somewhat in the middle, but closer to the British as far as individual rights are concerned.
    That's one thing I don't understand, when I get into a car I am surrounded by a steel cage that is designed to crumple and absorb an impact as well as airbags that inflate instantly and other safety items and I have to wear a seat belt. Yet on a motorcycle that has none of these safety items, where you are exposed to everything all you're required to have is eye protection. And that eye protection can be cheap sunglasses.

• Options
    tjc78 said:

I just noticed on the new Volvo when I signed into the smartphone app it shows exactly where it is parked.

It even has a driving activity recorder which is off by default.. Big brother... he is watching.

I really don't care... aside from bending a few speed laws I don't care who knows where I drive.

#boring

Check out what your cell phone keeps track of. You can go to Google maps and get a nice little record of where you have been, or at least where your phone was.

• Options
    What makes me laugh is that the credential that lets you ride a 50cc Vespa, while lax, is still 100x tougher to get than the one that lets you drive a Veyron or 42' behemoth motorhome or overcompensating lifted brotruck.

That's one thing I don't understand, when I get into a car I am surrounded by a steel cage that is designed to crumple and absorb an impact as well as airbags that inflate instantly and other safety items and I have to wear a seat belt. Yet on a motorcycle that has none of these safety items, where you are exposed to everything all you're required to have is eye protection. And that eye protection can be cheap sunglasses.

• Options
    I think the cost would be the drawback - no doubt some interesting casualty rates in those do what you want places. Of course, the Brits use Orwell as an instruction manual rather than a warning, but at least you won't be destroyed by medical bankruptcy, so there's that.
    driver100 said:

• Options
    Regarding all this about shaving.

• Options
    My only thought would be "authorities" falsifying the data - I wouldn't put it past them, especially in some areas.

I like the phone tracking stuff, you can search points in time and see where you were, good memories of past vacations.
    abacomike said:

No doubt the telemetry system can be used clandestinely to retrieve location info for other reasons such as repossessions and felons sought by authorities or bail bondsmen apprehensions and police departments.

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    tjc78 said:

#boring

GM cars have smartphone apps too. I use the Volt one to check when it’s charged.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I don't know about everyone else, but I keep my badges on my official forums sash :)

• Options
    fintail said:

What makes me laugh is that the credential that lets you ride a 50cc Vespa, while lax, is still 100x tougher to get than the one that lets you drive a Veyron or 42' behemoth motorhome or overcompensating lifted brotruck.

Here if that 50cc Vespa can not go over 20 MPH and doesn't need to be shifted all you need is a regular drivers license with no endorsements.

In most states to get a normal motorcycle license all you have to do is pass a multiple choice test and do some simple maneuvers in a parking lot on a 200cc scooter and you can be license to ride bikes that would embarrass veyron.

• Options
    I think it is 30 mph here, but same otherwise.

And those simple maneuvers still require 100x more coordination and wherewithal than driving a Corolla around a residential street and parallel parking it in a controlled environment. And in WA, the icing on the cake is that testing is privatized with no real oversight that I know of, via this (and what I see on the roads) I have no doubt passing grades are effectively for sale. At least the motorcycle instructors tend to be old school enthusiasts.

Here if that 50cc Vespa can not go over 20 MPH and doesn't need to be shifted all you need is a regular drivers license with no endorsements.

In most states to get a normal motorcycle license all you have to do is pass a multiple choice test and do some simple maneuvers in a parking lot on a 200cc scooter and you can be license to ride bikes that would embarrass veyron.

• Options
    Look like a hermit or a smelly hipster (or 2 in 3 Seattle area drones who think they are unique and with-it), grow a beard ;)

Regarding all this about shaving.

• Options
    Yep, I use the one our Enclave all the time. Very convenient

• Options
    $200 probably includes their various inspections. Maybe tire rotation. But still not too bad if only 1x a year. Cost of doing business!

• Options

driver100 said:

That occurred in GB. LOL. But it sounds like the ability is in all the vehicles. I recall several years back in the heat of the anti-GM era a few loud folks decided that OnStar's ability to locate the vehicle was a threat. There were rants and were stories about how to remove the GPS box from a GM vehicle...
    The telemetry sub-routines in these vehicles have negatives and positives associated with them. What I like most about the "Mbrace" (Mercedes's system in all their vehicles) is it provides access to your vehicle through an APP for your smart phone for many activities - i.e. lock/unlock all doors; locate vehicle; service and maintenance reminders; service history; a valet monitoring option which allows you to set "bouindaries" for your vehicle - alerts you if boundaries are crossed; remote start; and the best one is the ability to send a destination to the car's GPS using a computer or smart phone APP - when starting the car next, a message appears on the info screen asking if you want to begin route guidance to the sent destination. I use that last attribute fairly frequently.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Our leased Jetta did that. A couple times my daughter called me while driving, and I would find a location for her and send it to the car, so all she had to do was hit OK. Amazing what we can do these days!

• Options
    stickguy said:

$200 probably includes their various inspections. Maybe tire rotation. But still not too bad if only 1x a year. Cost of doing business!

Find out cost of an oil change with no extras, from the indie garage. And remember, it is once a year.
    But, if it hurts that much, a BMW is not for you. You pay for a fine precision automobile to buy it and maintain it.....no use buying it if your goal is to save money.

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,566
    driver100 said:

I also got one of these;
    10 earned this badge:

What's with the names being shown twice? Does that mean you have to divide by two? :o

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Ain't that the truth.

jmonroe
    At least I am willing to admit it! :D