Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    edited May 2020
    fintail said:

I'm kind of shocked a new Accord, with its high feature set, lacks homelink. My 1998 MB had it. Is it something being decontended these days?

The 2020 Accord has Homelink. Page 202-203 of the Honda Accord Owner's Manual states, "Homelink Universal Transciever. can be programmed to operate up to three remote controlled devices..."

I haven't gotten around to programming it yet. I keep my garage door remote in the ashtray . :s
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,983

qbrozen said:

One of our garage door openers has been throwing a fit lately, opening up when nobody is around or when you close the interior door to the house. I spent a couple hours messing with adjustments to no avail. Had "the guy" come out today. He said the circuit board is done. He tried to save me some money looking at this and that and seeing what little could be done. But, in the end, it didn't make sense to do it piecemeal when, for a few bucks more, we could get a whole new insulated door, wi-fi opener, and hardware package deal. And, of course, with a new door means doing all 3. So I got the wife, we made some quick choices, and placed the order. A hair under $4k for all 3 installed. And these are steel-backed R10-insulated, so a huge step up from the lousy single-sheet 17-yr-old aluminum ones on there now. Seems like a good deal. He estimates 3 weeks for it all to come in. Meanwhile, we gotta use that door manually, which is a big PITA, but what can ya do? I suppose I could swap motors with a less-used door. I'll have to see how much time that would eat up to judge the worthiness of such a project for 3 weeks of use.

We had the same issue- no "fix" worked so we went with a new opener. The only issue is the X1 and Clubman HomeLink receivers won't recognize the new transmitters.
    Oh, that sucks. Hope we don’t have that with the wife’s x2 and T&C

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,999
    Honda added Homelink to the 16-17 EX and above, then omitted it in the 18 EX to present, though it is included in the EXL and Touring. It was basically a 2 man job to code the Q5. You had to hold a transmitter next to the front grille while having someone press and hold the selected Homelink button inside. Thankfully it was fairly easy. We have two Chamberlain Quiet belt driven garage openers. They are so much quieter than those that are chain driven.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,637
    We installed the identical garage door opener (Chamberlin from Home Depot) in flip house #2 as was installed in flip #1 but getting home link to work with both Son #1’s home link and his mother’s Subie is pretty finicky. He finally got the home link to work in his ‘13 Infinity but I haven’t been able to get the ‘18 Subie working yet. I think I’m going to delete all previously programmed buttons and start over. There had to be a subtle change in the board on flip #2 but I won’t know for sure until I try the full erase and start over. :@

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,004
    jmonroe1 said:

We installed the identical garage door opener (Chamberlin from Home Depot) in flip house #2 as was installed in flip #1 but getting home link to work with both Son #1’s home link and his mother’s Subie is pretty finicky. He finally got the home link to work in his ‘13 Infinity but I haven’t been able to get the ‘18 Subie working yet. I think I’m going to delete all previously programmed buttons and start over. There had to be a subtle change in the board on flip #2 but I won’t know for sure until I try the full erase and start over. :@

jmonroe

Oh boy, what could possibly go wrong! :s

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,222
    Ugh I misread that B) confused sda's Accord with the new one.

For garage doors, I am visiting my grandma now, who's original owner 60s house had the original door until about 10 years ago, when the big double wide door (with a mid century themed design on it) became too much of a chore to open. I don't think the replacement has had any problems.
  • Options
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

You wouldn’t happen to have contact info for a Homelink Guy would you?😫

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,742

qbrozen said:

One of our garage door openers has been throwing a fit lately, opening up when nobody is around or when you close the interior door to the house. I spent a couple hours messing with adjustments to no avail. Had "the guy" come out today. He said the circuit board is done. He tried to save me some money looking at this and that and seeing what little could be done. But, in the end, it didn't make sense to do it piecemeal when, for a few bucks more, we could get a whole new insulated door, wi-fi opener, and hardware package deal. And, of course, with a new door means doing all 3. So I got the wife, we made some quick choices, and placed the order. A hair under $4k for all 3 installed. And these are steel-backed R10-insulated, so a huge step up from the lousy single-sheet 17-yr-old aluminum ones on there now. Seems like a good deal. He estimates 3 weeks for it all to come in. Meanwhile, we gotta use that door manually, which is a big PITA, but what can ya do? I suppose I could swap motors with a less-used door. I'll have to see how much time that would eat up to judge the worthiness of such a project for 3 weeks of use.

We had the same issue- no "fix" worked so we went with a new opener. The only issue is the X1 and Clubman HomeLink receivers won't recognize the new transmitters.
    What side of the chain vs belt debate do you fall on? I got a chain drive and even though it’s noisy it’s worked well for over a dozen years with zero maintenance.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    tjc78 said:

Yeah Homelink has been around awhile now. Pretty sure my 2000 Solara had it and I know my 03 Avalon and 04 Grand Marquis did

My ‘97 Chrysler had it but at the time I couldn’t afford a door opener. The car sat outside while the garage collected junk.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,137
    Homelink on both of my Caddys was easy to set up. I had to refer to the owners manual for the steps, but you could do it all from the drivers seat with the GDO remote in hand.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    Here's something for the car guy that has everything:

https://www.hemmings.com/parts/item/19384.html?refer=saturday&utm_source=saturday&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020-05-30

1689 car magazines at the low, low price of $10 each or $16,890.00. :open_mouth:

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 242,207

qbrozen said:

Interesting. When we moved into our house a couple years ago, we had to replace the GDO. The homelink in the MINI wouldn't recognize it, but the Subaru was no problem.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    edited May 2020

qbrozen said:

What side of the chain vs belt debate do you fall on? I got a chain drive and even though it’s noisy it’s worked well for over a dozen years with zero maintenance.
    Tech guy asked me that and my brain immediately went to timing chain vs belt. Absolutely no doubt in my mind I’m taking the chain. I know a garage door sees a minuscule amount of rotations compared to an engine, but my bias is unwavering. Lol.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    ab348 said:

https://www.hemmings.com/parts/item/19384.html?refer=saturday&utm_source=saturday&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020-05-30

1689 car magazines at the low, low price of $10 each or $16,890.00. :open_mouth:

Probably being sold by the heir who found his relative buried under a fallen stack. :s

• Options
    qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

Tech guy asked me that and my brain immediately went to timing chain vs belt. Absolutely no doubt in my mind I’m taking the chain. I know a garage door sees a minuscule amount of rotations compared to an engine, but my bias is unwavering. Lol.
    Brilliant mines think alike. Plus the belt for a door opener is designed for a door opener, so until they have the track record of the age old bicycle chain, don’t even talk to me about noise. As far as I’m concerned the noise let’s me know it’s still working. The only down side of a chain that I can think of is when I come home Mrs. j knows I’m home. There’s an old story about that but I wouldn’t be allowed to tell it in here.

jmonroe

• Options
    Much of that material can be sourced at flea markets for a couple dollars apiece. One is paying a lot for shipping and convenience there.
    ab348 said:

• Options
    edited May 2020
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

You wouldn’t happen to have contact info for a Homelink Guy would you?😫

jmonroe

I needed to call the Homelink Guy for the 2015 E400 for the Florida garage door. It took over an hour for him to figure it out. It was looking like it would never work....he did some research, called me back, we pressed buttons in a certain sequence......he got it working. I told him he was a genius, asked him if he could do wills?

There was no way an ordinary human being (like me) was going to get that thing working! :@

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,679
    homelink can be finaggily, depending on the vintage of the opener and the car. Even the outside keypads. I had to change that when I replaced one opener (I think it was went to a rolling code model). usually they all eventually work, but the pairing process can be hard to figure out. On a newer car and a new opener, usually really easy.

funny that this came up. My son closed on his first house this past Tuesday. He texted me a picture that afternoon of the control panel of his opener, asking what the buttons were and how to reset it. had to work through checking the owners manual but once we figured out to turn the car on, worked OK. got his clicker programmed and the Genesis homelink set too, and this was pairing to a Craftsman from 1994! But, it works so all is good.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Had a productive day being my own "guy". after doing the yard and cleaning out the shed (darned mice made a mess), replaced the CO detector upstairs (turns out after 7 years active they expire, and keep beeping at you to replace it. Super easy since I was smart enough to get the newer version of the same model, and thankfully it used the same bracket so right back on the existing mounting screws.

then I popped the hinges off the powder room door. Ever since we redid the kitchen and put in tile, there was a high spot that when it got humid, the door would hit. Quite annoying. so got the door off, and a few minutes with a plane and some sandpaper, put it back on the hinges, and now swings without banging on the tile. So overall a successful day trying to keep ahead of the house falling apart around me.

yesterday put a new pressure gauge on the pool filter too. old one, the screws had rusted and it was making a mess.

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,913
    jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

I wasn't able to get my '18 Legacy paired with the Overhead Door transmitter. So far, can't get the '20 Legacy paired either. Opener clipped on the visor. :disappointed:

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,749
    fintail said:

I'm kind of shocked a new Accord, with its high feature set, lacks homelink. My 1998 MB had it. Is it something being decontended these days?

My 2018 GTI doesn't have it

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,385
    edited May 2020
    My wife and kids programmed homelink in their vehicles, but I don't in mine.
    I like taking the opener with me when I leave my car or truck with someone.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    stickguy said:

Had a productive day being my own "guy". after doing the yard and cleaning out the shed (darned mice made a mess), replaced the CO detector upstairs (turns out after 7 years active they expire, and keep beeping at you to replace it. Super easy since I was smart enough to get the newer version of the same model, and thankfully it used the same bracket so right back on the existing mounting screws.

then I popped the hinges off the powder room door. Ever since we redid the kitchen and put in tile, there was a high spot that when it got humid, the door would hit. Quite annoying. so got the door off, and a few minutes with a plane and some sandpaper, put it back on the hinges, and now swings without banging on the tile. So overall a successful day trying to keep ahead of the house falling apart around me.

yesterday put a new pressure gauge on the pool filter too. old one, the screws had rusted and it was making a mess.

One good thing about this isolating...people are getting a lot work done around the house.

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

Brilliant mines think alike. Plus the belt for a door opener is designed for a door opener, so until they have the track record of the age old bicycle chain, don’t even talk to me about noise. As far as I’m concerned the noise let’s me know it’s still working. The only down side of a chain that I can think of is when I come home Mrs. j knows I’m home. There’s an old story about that but I wouldn’t be allowed to tell it in here.

jmonroe

I hope you didn't find "a guy" in your home! :(

• Options
    Cancelled my Motor Trend On Demand subscription today. They updated their Roku app this week and it wouldn’t let me sign in. After some digging on their website I discovered they changed their password requirements without telling anyone, great. Had to go to a PC, request a password reset b/c you can’t do that from the app. Tried that, no go. Go back to the PC for their help site, said to uninstall/reinstall the app, did it, still no go. I had enough. Their programming is mostly garbage anyway so I dumped it. What a debacle.

• Options
    Sometimes being stuck at home has it’s rewards.

• Options
    jipster said:

fintail said:

The 2020 Accord has Homelink. Page 202-203 of the Honda Accord Owner's Manual states, "Homelink Universal Transciever. can be programmed to operate up to three remote controlled devices..."

I haven't gotten around to programming it yet. I keep my garage door remote in the ashtray . :s
    So far, what are your thoughts with your new Accord? I was impressed with the Touring Hybrid that I rented. Likes, dislikes?

• Options
    sda said:

jipster said:

fintail said:

So far, what are your thoughts with your new Accord? I was impressed with the Touring Hybrid that I rented. Likes, dislikes?
    Ashtray???

• Options
    Accord Touring Hybrid rental? Direct from a dealer?

re: homelink, never had an issue with it in any MB, takes just a few minutes to set up.
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,669
    edited May 2020
    Cookout and bocce this afternoon. Just a very nice day!!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options

Sometimes being stuck at home has it’s rewards.

Spectacular...I'd buy a lottery ticket if I was you. :p

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,407

qbrozen said:

The outside garage has a chain- but it has required minor maintenance. I had to adjust the slack in the chain once- dead easy.
    The installer recommended a belt drive for the basement garage as it is under the family room. It's only been in place for about five months, but so far no complaints.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,509
    driver100 said:

was?
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    There is a button on my console you can press to get a 180 degree front view. I'm not sure what to do with it and not sure I will ever use it.

I suppose you could use it to see if some kids built a fort using your front bumper or something. I don't remember that being a problem before.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,407
    edited May 2020
    Yesterday I had a dimwit in a dilapidated Buick Rendezvous(but I repeat myself) make a u-turn into the left lane-on the interstate right in front of me. He then dawdled along for several miles and finally slowly moved into the right lane- without using a signal, of course. When I drove past the poor fool he was puttering along with one hand draped over the wheel at the 12:00 position.
    Morons- they are everywhere.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    venture said:

There is a button on my console you can press to get a 180 degree front view. I'm not sure what to do with it and not sure I will ever use it.

I suppose you could use it to see if some kids built a fort using your front bumper or something. I don't remember that being a problem before.

I use mine when pulling nose first into a parking space. I have 2-front views displayed - one is a 360 degree above car view and the other is a full frontal view to determine how close to a parking stump you are. Both are displayed at the same time on a split view screen.

I use it all the time when parking since we have few, if any, parallel parking spaces.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    fintail said:

Accord Touring Hybrid rental? Direct from a dealer?

re: homelink, never had an issue with it in any MB, takes just a few minutes to set up.

Yes dealer rented when I had the starter replaced.

• Options

driver100 said:

was?
    It was late in the evening....for me.

• Options
    abacomike said:

venture said:

I use mine when pulling nose first into a parking space. I have 2-front views displayed - one is a 360 degree above car view and the other is a full frontal view to determine how close to a parking stump you are. Both are displayed at the same time on a split view screen.

I use it all the time when parking since we have few, if any, parallel parking spaces.
    I agree. Also like it if you are say doing a curve and you may come close to the curb. Might happen when backing out of a parking space,,,,for example, you want to go to the right, the next space over to the right is the one with a curb and grass on it, and the curb protrudes, you may come close and want to make sure to miss it. I like that feature.

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,499
    I agree with @abacomike, the 360-degree camera on my lowly Avalon Hybrid is a great feature to have, especially when pulling into a tight or otherwise precarious space. In the desert we have many covered spaces with metal beams, toward the front, that may be hard to judge distance-wise. I had it prior on my GLC300 and now it’s basically a must-have for me.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,385
    Brought out the mower to finish the back yard.
    Found my grille brush about 20 feet away from the grille, which I had just used yesterday.
    I guess some critter tried to take it.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    I don't know how I've been able to park all these years.

• Options

Brought out the mower to finish the back yard.
    Found my grille brush about 20 feet away from the grille, which I had just used yesterday.
    I guess some critter tried to take it.

Not sure what kind of critter does barbecuing!

• Options
    I finally got my stimulus payment yesterday but it came as a VISA debit card vs. a check. I thought it was a scam but I called the number to activate the card and was convinced it was a scam when it asked for the last 6 digits of my Social Security number so I hung up. I then went to the website that was provided on the enclosed info (EIPCard.com) and still wasn't convinced it was legit. I then Googled something like "is the IRS VISA card a scam" and saw that others asked the same question which said it was for real. So, I talked myself into feeling it was legit and I took the plunge and called to activate my card (have to provide a 4 digit pin for this also). It appears that the card is good for $2400 but I'll know for sure when I try to deposit it (the card can be used as a traditional debit card if you want to use it that way, even cash at ATM's too).

The Google search said the IRS has issued about 4 million of these cards but that the IRS has not explained who or why certain folks get the card vs. a check. Has anyone in here heard of this before? I'm beginning to think that these cards are sent to suspected tax cheaters for reasons known only to the IRS.

jmonroe
  • Options
    driver100">Spectacular...I'd buy a lottery ticket if I was you

driver100 said:

was?
    My use of was instead of were is related to this factor. My brain works faster than my typing sometimes;

• Options
    I 110% support this theory. And if you could see my handwriting, you would know why.

• Options
    When I was a student, I had meticulous handwriting, teachers would even compliment me on it. Today, it often looks like I am writing with an injured/sleeping hand - nobody writes anymore, out of practice. I guess it really means my brain is getting better with age.
  • Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    stickguy said:

I 110% support this theory. And if you could see my handwriting, you would know why.

What frustrates me about handwriting and keyboarding is that cursive is rarely taught in our schools today - even hand printing is hardly taught. My grandchildren only know how to use a cursive signature - but print everything else when writing by hand - and they also intermix upper and lower case lettering, i.e., toDaY is mOndAy. They can text faster than I can and possess outstanding keyboarding skills.

But if they don't have a smartphone handy or a computer, they have difficulty writing a letter or taking notes.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    abacomike said:

What frustrates me about handwriting and keyboarding is that cursive is rarely taught in our schools today

I fully support the death of cursive writing. IMHO, it was somebody's failed attempt at speeding up writing by hand that spread much further than it should have. I'm sure there is some kind of cursive illuminati conspiracy at work there. I realized at a young age that it was a complete waste of my time and brain space and dropped it quickly and never looked back.

• Options
    Both my early boomer mom and uncle (educated in the same school system) perform the mixing of cases when they print - my siblings and I have teased my mom about that since we were kids. In the 80s anyway, kids didn't do that. I think kids these days do it for fun, it became an "edgy" web/text way of writing maybe in the early 00s.

I recall looking forward to learning cursive.

I wonder if kids these days are taught roman numerals or how to read an analog clock.
    abacomike said:

What frustrates me about handwriting and keyboarding is that cursive is rarely taught in our schools today - even hand printing is hardly taught. My grandchildren only know how to use a cursive signature - but print everything else when writing by hand - and they also intermix upper and lower case lettering, i.e., toDaY is mOndAy. They can text faster than I can and possess outstanding keyboarding skills.

But if they don't have a smartphone handy or a computer, they have difficulty writing a letter or taking notes.