Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977
    Hoping for the best possible results......but taping a lemon on your back! There must be something else that won't squish if you accidentally lie on your back....a squeaky toy maybe.
    You did an incredible job with your business, you filled a niche market. And you did it in a very efficient and professional manner. You were growing the business at a pretty fast rate too....great marketing and smart thinking.....that is not an easy thing to accomplish.
    Nice to let your customers know too....a lot of people aren't that respectful.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    @graphicguy, we’re all pulling for you. All the best....
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    Most people use a tennis ball.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    So unfortunate, GG. Second opinion might be in order here, GG. You are being blamed for the bad outcome by the ophthalmologist who accuses you of sleeping on your back. Sounds awfully defensive to me - like he’s trying to avoid potential liability.

I wonder if another surgeon agrees with your current doctor.🤓

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,565
    @graphicguy, needless to say we’re all hoping the upcoming surgery is successful.

About this lemon thingy, maybe you can start a lemonade stand while you’re in this shut down mode.

Good luck and keep us informed how it’s going and that goes for the lemonade stand too.😎

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    stickguy said:

You gotta keep your posters straight. @driver100 would use a tennis ball, @graphicguy is more suited for the lemonade biz.🤣

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    I'd lemon law that eye doc if I were you, GG. :laughing:

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    edited November 2020
    When did gas prices drop so much?
    Filled up 3 weeks ago with RUG at my usual station 2.199.
    Today, I drove by and RUG was 1,899(includes 6 cents for credit).
    A couple of miles later I saw stations at 1.719 and 1.699.
    I filled up at 1.1719, same price cash or credit.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    edited November 2020
    Saw $1.91 for regular here this morning. Has been under $2/gallon for a few weeks here in South Florida. Family joined BJ's this past weekend so think we'll be going there as they are usually the lowest in town. I usually go to Cumberland Farms and use my fleet card to save $.10/gallon which undercuts BJ's so unless I'm not near a BJ's, will continue to use Cumberland. The other night, with the discount, paid $1.859 at Cumberland which ain't to bad!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    I get gas maybe once a month at this point. So hardly even notice what it costs.

• Options
    I didn't need to fill up after over 3 weeks, but saw it as an opportunity.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437

I had to get gas in Manhattan the other night. $3.19 per gallon. Cost me $60 to fill up my truck.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,987
    nyccarguy said:

I had to get gas in Manhattan the other night. $3.19 per gallon. Cost me $60 to fill up my truck.
    Is gas typically that much higher in the city? wow

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    $2.75 for PUG, at my local Shell station today. That's $0.70 higher than RUG.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited November 2020
    At that price difference should risk RUG!

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

You gotta keep your posters straight. @driver100 would use a tennis ball, @graphicguy is more suited for the lemonade biz.🤣

jmonroe
    JMonroe suggests using a ball-peen hammer :(

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    driver100 said:

I'll remember to avoid your used car sales... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,337
    RUG starting to encroach on the $2/gal threshold, but since I use mid-grade in the Outback, I generally pay .30 to .40 more per gallon.

Still, under $40 for a full tank isn't bad. Now that the wife has taken a new job, the car gets driven more, and we're filling it up every couple of weeks.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    @michaell.
    I think your Mid Grade is the same as out RUG, 87 octane?
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,337

@michaell.
    I think your Mid Grade is the same as out RUG, 87 octane?

Because of the altitude, that is correct - we get 85, 87 and 91 at most stations here in Colorado.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    edited November 2020
    I don’t think we get gas even once a month. I’ll basically drive a car till it gets near empty, then start driving another car. Lol. Wind up having to fill them all near the same time, but it is seriously maybe since August that I last stopped at a pump.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,174
    I think I've been paying around $2.65 for PUG at Costco, been driving a bit the past month, and I am one of those who starts getting a little itchy below 1/2 and will definitely be looking to refuel by 1/4. Far fewer Chevrons in this area, I filled up the fintail last time at Costco, next time might seek out a Chevron, as I've been putting Chevron in it almost exclusively for eons.

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,987
    Locally we are $1.78 RUG, $2.38 PUG.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,674
    driver100 said:

fintail said:

Many MBs are old man (or woman) cars lol. I don't think I've seen anyone under 60 in a late model SL, even AMG variants. S-class is similar, although for these models the demographic was maybe not much different even 30-40 years ago.

driver100 said:

MB knows they have to capture the younger buyer too. That is why they have AMGs and BMW has Ms and Audi R/S's. Cater to a younger demographic. Once my 76 year old neighbor was very proud he bought a new MB. His 30 something girlfriend told him he should have got a BMW, the MB was an old man's car. She said it after quite a few drinks at a neighbors barbeque. They broke up shortly after that.

Agree, but lots of younger people buy CLA's and C Class MBs. But, that was the idea, get them in at a younger age and they will move up to a larger, more expensive, more comfortable MB later in life.

Average ages: The global average age of a Rolls-Royce customer is 45 years old, down from 56 seven years ago. That's lower than the average age of car buyers over all, which hovers around 52, and younger than the average age of luxury car buyers, too, which is 50, according to data from Kelley Blue Book. Buick has an average new-buyer age of 59. At Cadillac it's 52, at Mercedes-Benz it's 51, and at BMW it's 50. (from 2017)

Buick, for instance, has an average new-buyer age of 59. At Cadillac it's 52, at Mercedes-Benz it's 51, and at BMW it's 50,
    So a bunch of whipper snappers, huh?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    sda said:

Locally we are $1.78 RUG, $2.38 PUG.

You’re going to be incarcerated for stealing gas. I’m pretty sure I saw $2.229 for RUG this morning and around a buck more for PUG. When we don’t see you posting anymore we’ll know what happened to you.☹️

jmonroe
  • Options

So, quick update...... Couple more surgeries scheduled as pressure in my eye continues to run high. Plus, either the surgeon put too much oil in my eye to hold the retina in place (which has detached 3 times), or according to him, I insist on sleeping on my back, which I assured him I don’t. I never have been a back sleeper. And to make totally certain I don’t sleep on my back inadvertently, I tape a lemon to my back so I’ll wake up if I roll onto my back. It’s to the point where I’m getting very annoyed with him trying to blame me for his screw up.

So, now we’re pushing for me to be able to see shapes and colors out of the eye. May take a couple more surgeries to remove some scar tissue. Plus, the continued needles in the eye to relieve pressure. But, getting the retina healed and in place is the goal so far. Further surgeries won’t be until the Christmas/New Year time frame.

In the meantime, my transport business has tailed off....mainly because I’m not out there talking to SMs/GMs/owners of dealerships all the time keeping my finger on their pulse. I offered it to my friend who who’s been keeping things afloat during my recovery. He doesn’t want to work that much, though. No blame...he’s retired and likes staying that way.

As a result, I’ve sent out letters to those I’ve either done business with, or those who might be planning to use my transport services that I would cease operations as of November 15.

It was fun while it lasted. Enjoyed meeting a ton of new people and got a peak into the different dealerships in and around my general area. Plus, I had more than one offer to “talk to the manager personally” if I want to get a “deal” on a car. I even had a couple of offers to join their sales management staffs.

Want to thank those of you who offered to help. Truly appreciate your generosity. Y’all are a bunch of really good people.

Sorry about that, I hope the surgeries improve your sight. On the optimistic side maybe you can resume your business if things turn out.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    @jmonroe1,
    I'm glad my car can make it from CT to OH without filling up in PA.
    PA gas is expensive.
  • Options
    sda said:

nyccarguy said:

In upstate the price is hovering around 2 bucks. The city is a world of it’s own.

• Options
    Yep, and those cars (A/C/CLA etc) have some false pretense of sport, too. Funny, many bemoan the CLA, I've known a couple people who had one, and loved it. Style can forgive some sins, especially if one isn't a traditionalist. When the CLA debuted around 7 years ago, some predicted the death of MB cachet, hasn't happened yet. The key is to keep your highline cars desirable, a case of something actually trickling down.

I'll wager the youngish Rolls-Royce age is due to the propensity of dirty/blood money dynasties and real corruption in a few locations.

driver100 said:

Agree, but lots of younger people buy CLA's and C Class MBs. But, that was the idea, get them in at a younger age and they will move up to a larger, more expensive, more comfortable MB later in life.

Average ages: The global average age of a Rolls-Royce customer is 45 years old, down from 56 seven years ago. That's lower than the average age of car buyers over all, which hovers around 52, and younger than the average age of luxury car buyers, too, which is 50, according to data from Kelley Blue Book. Buick has an average new-buyer age of 59. At Cadillac it's 52, at Mercedes-Benz it's 51, and at BMW it's 50. (from 2017)

Buick, for instance, has an average new-buyer age of 59. At Cadillac it's 52, at Mercedes-Benz it's 51, and at BMW it's 50,

• Options
    last weekend was the last time I drove past a station, and I think the lowest was about $2.09 for RUG. I keep forgetting that our gas tax went up again (back in late summer I think) so we aren't as low as used to be. But most likely this weekend I will see under $2.00. I just won't bother to stop to put 2 gallons in (though I did run out in the mower can today!)

next week maybe. Making a road trip Saturday to see the kid, that is about 100 miles RT so probably about 4 gallons, so might be sitting at about 2/3 or a tank when I get back.

• Options
    driver100 said:
    kyfdx said:

driver100 said:

I'll remember to avoid your used car sales... ;)
    I wouldn't ruin my car by doing it....just suggesting others could save a few $bucks doing it :)

• Options
    fintail said:

Yep, and those cars (A/C/CLA etc) have some false pretense of sport, too. Funny, many bemoan the CLA, I've known a couple people who had one, and loved it. Style can forgive some sins, especially if one isn't a traditionalist. When the CLA debuted around 7 years ago, some predicted the death of MB cachet, hasn't happened yet. The key is to keep your highline cars desirable, a case of something actually trickling down.

I'll wager the youngish Rolls-Royce age is due to the propensity of dirty/blood money dynasties and real corruption in a few locations.

driver100 said:

It seems that MB sometimes rushes new models to market. The first G SUVs weren't great....MB designed and produced them quickly so they could jump into the hot SUV market. The CLA was rushed to market.....the first edition didn't get good reviews, but, the latest edition gets good reviews.
    Porsche made a smart move making a more affordable SUV for the masses. It would be nice if Rolls Royce did the same.....A baby Rolls that people could actually afford to buy.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    sda said:

nyccarguy said:

There aren’t THAT many gas stations in Manhattan. A couple of them are actually decently priced. There Re a few that are higher.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Customers are beta testers, been that way for some time - the W220 S-class for MY 2000 was probably the ultimate example (and early ones are now getting scarce, due to some problem areas). Also relates to why Toyolex is so reliable - they don't tend to introduce cutting edge tech, especially in terms of in-car electronics.

The Macan isn't exactly a budget machine, starts in the 50s IIRC and goes up fast, more of an upper middle class thing. I can't imagine any new Rolls having a sticker under 200K, too much competition with Bentley at that point, and it would tarnish the exclusive aura.

driver100 said:

It seems that MB sometimes rushes new models to market. The first G SUVs weren't great....MB designed and produced them quickly so they could jump into the hot SUV market. The CLA was rushed to market.....the first edition didn't get good reviews, but, the latest edition gets good reviews.
    Porsche made a smart move making a more affordable SUV for the masses. It would be nice if Rolls Royce did the same.....A baby Rolls that people could actually afford to buy.

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,883

@jmonroe1,
    I'm glad my car can make it from CT to OH without filling up in PA.
    PA gas is expensive.

I filled up yesterday. $2.499 for regular.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    At my local Costco, $1.81 for RUG and $2.29 for PUG. It hasn’t been that low in quite a long time. I filled up Monday and it was $2.35 for PUG. So the price dropped 6 cents in 5 days.

I read in the paper that oil prices are stabilizing. Summer gasoline is always higher in price due to emission standards and the chemical additives. Refineries are now producing winter blended gasoline which reduces the cost of production.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    abacomike said:

. Refineries are now producing winter blended gasoline which reduces the cost of production.

Winter gas? In Florida?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    Will Eta hit east coast or west coast of Florida? Only 2nd hurricane to hit Florida this season--if it hits at all?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    I was driving by a Chev dealer yesterday and I saw a gold Camaro....real gold like this. That looked pretty ugly, why would they do that! Does it appeal to anyone?

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    In other news, feeling down in the dumps because your Bugatti or Koenigsegg just isn''t fast enough for you? Well, fret not, as there is a new fastest road car now:

https://spectrum.ieee.org/cars-that-think/transportation/advanced-cars/the-tuatara-is-the-worlds-fastest-production-car

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    I guess we should enjoy the low gas prices while they last.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    driver100 said:

I was driving by a Chev dealer yesterday and I saw a gold Camaro....real gold like this. That looked pretty ugly, why would they do that! Does it appeal to anyone?

I can think of a number of celebrities who would like it. Although you'd expect they'd start with something more expensive than a Camaro.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    carnaught said:

We have low gas prices....but, nowhere to go! :'(

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I think over the course of the few months I was doing transports, there were some cars that I liked, and others that I wouldn’t waste money on. I drove the ILX, RDX, TLX (both old version and new version), MDX, Corolla, Camry, Avalon, Civic, CRV, Accord, Altima, Maxima, Impala, Malibu, Traverse, Cruze, Bolt, Silverado, F150, Explorer..

My faves? The ones I’d consider spending my own money on?

-Bolt-just a well executed electric car. It even has a fun quotient, which I didn’t think I’d ever believe.
    -Accord 2.0t...just a fun family car. Extremely well executed and a bargain for what you get
    -Camry XSE V6....a little strange looking, but like the Accord, a fun family car and a bargain for what you get
    -Avalon....like the Camry, just a little more of everything. Can’t understand why someone would pay more for a Lexus over the Avalon
    -RDX...tough to consider any other CUV/SUV, especially for the price. It’s quick. It handles. You can stuff a lot of “stuff” in it. It’s totally loaded (the one I drove). Explorer over the RDX? No way!
    -CRV...can’t pull the trigger on the RDX price? This is just a small step down.
    -F150...boy, have these things ever crossed into luxury land. Pricey as hell, but if you need to haul lots of stuff, and you want to do it in comfort, these are the ticket.

Everything else? Wouldn’t waste my time, nor my money.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    driver100 said:

carnaught said:

We have low gas prices....but, nowhere to go! :'(
    You could drive to Vancouver and then turn around when the locals start chasing your “foreign” car down the street.😢

• Options

abacomike said:

. Refineries are now producing winter blended gasoline which reduces the cost of production.

Winter gas? In Florida?
    Gasoline is shipped in to Ft. Lauderdale on tankers from the Gulf of Mexico refineries. Yes, we get the same “winter” gasoline as the rest of the country.😜🤓

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330

abacomike said:

Winter gas? In Florida?
    Florida has winters, of course a really cold winters day there is a nice warm spring day here.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options

Will Eta hit east coast or west coast of Florida? Only 2nd hurricane to hit Florida this season--if it hits at all?

Forecasts down here indicate that we will get hit with a tropical storm or low category 1 hurricane if it intensifies. As to where, the “cone of uncertainty” shown by the hurricane models is huge once it hits Cuba. It could hit anywhere from Ft. Myers to Palm Beach (including southeast coast). Won’t know for certain until tomorrow or Sunday. This is extremely late in the hurricane season for a hurricane to develop and strengthen.

Welcome to South Florida! 😜🤓

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    driver100 said:

My bet is that it's vinyl wrap.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options

driver100 said:

My bet is that it's vinyl wrap.
    I truly hope so! :'(