2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,891
    wife and I saw Bridge of Spies last night. it was IMO excellent. Not violent or "all action" (fine by me, and preferred by the wife!) but very well done, and quite suspenseful. Hanks was great.

and lots of neat old cars. I particularly liked the P1800.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    edited October 2015
    Movies are my favorite pass-time activity.  If you are lucky enough to get really into a great movie like Star Wars with great special effects, time passes by very quickly.

HBO had a movie on this month entitled "John Wick" with Keanu Reeves.  The action, outstanding choreography of unending action scenes, 100 guys and one woman being shot in the first 45 minutes, etc., kept me on the edge of my recliner for the entire movie.

I am a true lover of Science Fiction.  The last Star Trek movie with the cast of the "Next Generation" TV series was great as was the last "Star Wars" Movie.  So long as there is a good script that goes along with the special effects and some great performances from the actors.

I especially enjoyed the two movies by Ron Howard on the "DaVinci Code" and the sequel (about the Illuminati) to that movie starring Tom Hanks.  There is a third movie coming out called "Inferno" also starring Tom Hanks and directed by Ron Howard as a second sequel.

Tom Cruise has made a few great movies. I especially enjoyed one of his latest movies, "Edge of Tomorrow", a sci-fi movie.  Yep, movies are a great escapism for me.

But cars do get me almost as excited as a good action or sci-fi movie - but I don't live to experience either one.  I'd rather sit in a family room with my family (especially the grandkids which I don't get to see very much) and just watch and listen to them as they mature.  Same with my son!  :smile: 

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,863
    driver100 said:

Saw too really good movies.....have never seen two movies in one weekend before. To enjoy these movies you have to appreciate dialogue though....these are not action movies.

We saw the Steve Jobs movie and it was fascinating. How this genius had no empathy for anyone, and how he could be such an egomaniac. But, imagine, thinking up Apple devices, and then devices for music - MP3 players, and then helping to make Pixar, and bringing Apple back from bankrupcy.

Today we saw Bridge of Spies based on true events in the 50s. Some of the 1950 cars shown were incredible too, really nice to see. (I did think the opening shot was supposed to be 1957 and I believe there was a 59 Plymouth parked on the street). The movie was based on a real story and Tom Hanks was brilliant.

If these movies were on your list then be sure to see them, they were so worthwhile.

Regarding Steve Jobs, if you look through history you find that many accomplished people had very poor interpersonal skills. Most of us have a balanced ability between people skills and innovative thinking. People like Jobs skewed almost entirely towards the latter. Made him a SOB to live with.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    @oldfarmer50:

I've been thinking about your comment about considering 19" wheels and tires for you Mustang.  There is no doubt that sharp wheels can "make the car" if you know what I mean.  

You have to consider the fact that you would have to put all-season tires on those wheels - not performance summer tires which really make the difference in handling.  Summer high performance tires like I have on my car should not be driven when temperatures go below 45-50 degrees Fahrenheit.  They can "crack" and reduced traction and handling result.

If I couldn't use 19" high performance summer tires on my car, I would not have bought the Optional Mercedes-Benz 19" Wheels.  I would have kept the 18" AMG wheels and all-season tires.  That's why my brother did not get them - in the Jacksonville area, temps during the winter range from the mid to upper 30's at night to the mid 50's during the day.

As for where to buy the wheels if you decide to go with 19" wheels, I recommend wheels and tires approved by Ford to make sure your warranty remains in tact.  If you have a problem attributable to non-approved wheels and tires, I think you'd be in trouble.  Just some food for thought. :smile: 

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    nelsonfnelsonf Member Posts: 104

Why would anyone shop at a dealer?

I was toying with the idea of buying 19" wheels for my Mustang and I wound up on the Ford site. First off it was very user unfriendly but the real frustration came when I saw the prices. The standard 19" wheels went for over $900 each. Are the kidding?

I've found similar after market wheels for under $200. Why would anyone pay that kind of premium? That's just plain greedy.

Check out Craigslist. A lot of people replace their factory wheels with aftermarket, and sell the factory wheels.

19" might be tough to find used though.

Nelson

Currently own: 2017 BMW M4, 2011 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X Used to own: 2008 VW R32, 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 1987 BMW 325IS

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,488

That's a good point, Stick...I wouldn't cheap out on wheels either. I'd check on their name reputation and some user reviews, perhaps at tirerack.com or similar.

Exactly. I know some online dealers sell Ford Racing wheels at a discount. Low priced wheels often mean "Made with indifference in the Third World".

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,016

driver100 said:

Saw too really good movies.....have never seen two movies in one weekend before. To enjoy these movies you have to appreciate dialogue though....these are not action movies.

We saw the Steve Jobs movie and it was fascinating. How this genius had no empathy for anyone, and how he could be such an egomaniac. But, imagine, thinking up Apple devices, and then devices for music - MP3 players, and then helping to make Pixar, and bringing Apple back from bankrupcy.

Today we saw Bridge of Spies based on true events in the 50s. Some of the 1950 cars shown were incredible too, really nice to see. (I did think the opening shot was supposed to be 1957 and I believe there was a 59 Plymouth parked on the street). The movie was based on a real story and Tom Hanks was brilliant.

If these movies were on your list then be sure to see them, they were so worthwhile.

Regarding Steve Jobs, if you look through history you find that many accomplished people had very poor interpersonal skills. Most of us have a balanced ability between people skills and innovative thinking. People like Jobs skewed almost entirely towards the latter. Made him a SOB to live with.
    I have been reading a lot about the subject of sociopaths, and narcissists and found it fascinating. Often sociopaths do well in business because in certain situations they just don't care about anyone. They don't let their emotions get in the way, they can be unscrupulous and they like to win at all cost. Sociopaths probably make up 6% of the population so be wary, and be on guard when buying a car or anything else.....they see you as the enemy who has to be beaten. My guess is the other 94% of the population can be sociopaths to some extent, on a sliding scale.

I am not saying Jobs was a sociopath, he might just be a narcissist. In fact, this seems more likely. He worked hard...which sociopaths don't do, and his world revolved around him.

It is hard to diagnose completely, and both are called personality disorders these days. Jobs is there somewhere, but, we need those people in the world too, just don't get in their way.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,710
    You can have poor interpersonal skills without being either a narcissist or a sociopath. People come in all types. Also there is some criticism of Jobs' portrayal in this movie. It's just one perspective. I would love to see it but I'm not considering I'll have a handle on one of the greatest visionaries of our time. As to movies, I just saw The Martian and loved it.
    '24 Kia Sportage PHEV
    '24 Chevy Blazer EV 2LT
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    suydam said:
    You can have poor interpersonal skills without being either a narcissist or a sociopath. People come in all types. Also there is some criticism of Jobs' portrayal in this movie. It's just one perspective. I would love to see it but I'm not considering I'll have a handle on one of the greatest visionaries of our time. As to movies, I just saw The Martian and loved it.
    I heard and read some great reviews on The Martian over the past couple of weeks.  As a true Sci-Fi fan, it's a must see for me.  

Matt Damon is an actor, similar to John Wayne - whatever role they play(ed), it was Matt Damon or John Wayne playing Matt Damon or John Wayne, if you catch my drift.  Great actors, but they played themselves.

IMHO, the only movies Matt Damon played in where he really got into character was "The Good Shepherd", the "Bourne" movies (Identity, Ultimatum, Supremacy) and "Good Will Hunting". :open_mouth: 

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,231
    I don't believe I have gone to a movie since the late 1990s.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,710
    I don't know. Matt Damon was really creepy in The Talented Mr. Ripely. And quite a surprise in Interstellar. But I know what you mean.
    I also liked the latest Mission Impossible movie this summer.
    Now that we are retired we are seeing more movies than we used to!
    '24 Kia Sportage PHEV
    '24 Chevy Blazer EV 2LT
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Movies and cars. How about best performance by a car in a movie? And I don't necessarily mean Christine, or the Batmobile. Could be just a car in a scene that caught your eye and made you think, "Look at THAT".

The 1960 Plymouth Fury from In The Heat Of The Night reminds me of the car models I used to build. Fins and chrome!

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,328
    Man, that is a lot of iron !

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    ab348 said:
    I don't believe I have gone to a movie since the late 1990s.
    You're not alone, ab!  The last movie I actually saw in a "movie theater" was Judge Dredd with Sylvester Stalone.  That was the last time I was inside a movie theater - I sometimes wonder if that was the worst movie I ever saw or the second worst movie I ever saw which turned me off to ever going into a movie theater again! :angry: 

I either wait for the film to come up on HBO or one of the other premium channels or I just order it as a PPV - $5,00 - $7.00 per film in HD.  I sure don't like the ambiance of a movie theater (sneezing, coughing, popcorn all over the floors, etc.

Whenever I want to see a movie with one of my lady friends, we go out for dinner and then return to my place for drinks and a good movie - and a little "dessert" if the mood is appropriate.  And I can pause the movie if a potty break is needed.  Most of my PPV movies are 2-day rentals so I can watch it again if I was distracted (if you get my drift) the next day.

Ahh, isn't technology a wonderful thing? :open_mouth: 

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    houdini1 said:

Man, that is a lot of iron !

Back when bumpers were BUMPERS ;)
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,364
    driver100 said:

Yellow, not always so good

Few types of cars can really pull off yellow, IMHO yellow really only works with sports type cars and pick up trucks.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,188
    edited October 2015
    abacomike said:

Matt Damon is an actor, similar to John Wayne - whatever role they play(ed), it was Matt Damon or John Wayne playing Matt Damon or John Wayne, if you catch my drift.  Great actors, but they played themselves.

There are stars and there are actors. Stars: Jack Nicholson, Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks, to some degree. Actors: Daniel Day-Lewis, Gary Oldman, Russell Crow, Merrill Streep. Stars are entertaining, their movies are good, but you never forget who they are. Actors are such that it takes half of the movie to realize it's the same person who played in a movie you saw five years ago and another one, than another one, finally realizing he/she was in a dozens, looking and sounding completely different in each of those dozens.

I think Damon is a bit of both, which is often the case. He showed some range. Similar Leonardo diCaprio, he started as this pretty boy, but today he can do much more.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited October 2015
    The Martian really isn't a "sci-fi" movie. It's more about the power of science and rational thinking. A nerd movie more than anything else. No brain-eating Martian spiders, sorry. Thoroughly enjoyable. The hand of Ridley Scott is everywhere. Waaay better than "Gravity".

re: Steve Jobs: Well at least his massive ego was backed up by actual accomplishment. I'm not sure I would call him a "visionary" in the best sense of the word. Like most utterly driven people, they do things because they have to do them, not necessarily to benefit anyone else. You know, we accomplished amazing things before smart phones. But he certainly changed the way we live. For better or worse? Probably some of both. Like Henry Ford. Freed millions from isolation, and also gassed us half to death.
    abacomike said:

suydam said:

I heard and read some great reviews on The Martian over the past couple of weeks.  As a true Sci-Fi fan, it's a must see for me.  

IMHO, the only movies Matt Damon played in where he really got into character was "The Good Shepherd", the "Bourne" movies (Identity, Ultimatum, Supremacy) and "Good Will Hunting". :open_mouth: 

• Options
    edited October 2015
    abacomike said:

@oldfarmer50:

I've been thinking about your comment about considering 19" wheels and tires for you Mustang.  There is no doubt that sharp wheels can "make the car" if you know what I mean.  

You have to consider the fact that you would have to put all-season tires on those wheels - not performance summer tires which really make the difference in handling.  Summer high performance tires like I have on my car should not be driven when temperatures go below 45-50 degrees Fahrenheit.  They can "crack" and reduced traction and handling result.

If I couldn't use 19" high performance summer tires on my car, I would not have bought the Optional Mercedes-Benz 19" Wheels.  I would have kept the 18" AMG wheels and all-season tires.  That's why my brother did not get them - in the Jacksonville area, temps during the winter range from the mid to upper 30's at night to the mid 50's during the day.

As for where to buy the wheels if you decide to go with 19" wheels, I recommend wheels and tires approved by Ford to make sure your warranty remains in tact.  If you have a problem attributable to non-approved wheels and tires, I think you'd be in trouble.  Just some food for thought. :smile: 

Well, I like to take flights of fancy that often lead me beyond my economic reality. I was actually considering getting 19" wheels with summer tires to use late May through September and then switching back to the OEM 18" w/all seasons for October through April. But $3600 for wheels and another $1000 for tires keeps that plan firmly in fantasy land.

Shame since my down the street Ford store just put three 2016 5.0 Mustangs out front with the larger wheels and they do look a lot better.

Maybe I'll win the lottery or maybe I'll do the summer tires on my 18s May-September and switch back to all seasons in cool weather. Cheaper but I hate taking tires on and off alloys that frequently.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    henryn said:

abacomike said:

@graphicguy:

You would be misguided to trade it in immediately before giving it a few months to drive it and enjoy it.  It will be worth the same money on trade in 3 months as it would be on trade now.  It is still a titled car.

Don't rush into getting rid of it until you've given this new one a chance to prove to you it's really a great car! :smile: 

It seems really really weird, downright wrong, the way the market works in this one regard. The dealership will let their salesmen drive a new car for 6 months, accumulate 5k miles, and claim it is still a "new car", and you should pay new car prices, because it has never been titled. But if you have to take ownership, title the car before you can resell it, it depreciates a huge amount as a used car, even if you put no miles on it.

Makes no sense at all. One reason that I would never buy a "demonstrator".

My wifes car was a "demonstrator", they tried the "it's new" thing with the price. I countered that if we wanted the car with 6K miles on it we could go to a different dealer and get it "used" for a thousands less. We were able to get it for less than what another dealer had for the same model with the same miles used. Smart phones and the local dealers assoc. website are great.

• Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    The Steve Jobs movie is based on the biography that was released just after his death. My understanding is that the movie barely touches upon what made Steve Jobs tick. Then again, the movie is a dramatic interpretation and really can't be used as a basis for a true look at the man.

I read the biography. IMHO, Jobs was a genius with the ability to see many moves ahead of the competition. He was detail oriented to the point of being obsessive. If something was part of his vision, no amount of contrarian arguments could change his mind. His interpersonal skills suffered due to his laser focus on the other parts of his life. I wouldn't be surprised if he would have been diagnosed somewhere on the Asperger's spectrum.
  • Options
    driver100 said:

You get a price you like for a car, you go home and tell your family, the neighbors, your friends that you will be buying a new car the next day.

You are pretty excited. Then you go in to buy at the agreed price and their are extras plus things they didn't tell you. It's a technique to make you pay more so you won't have to tell all these people you don't have a new car. It even works psychologically on the consumer because now he will convince himself he has to have the new car.

I had that happen to me once, it was the dealership that my sister used to buy her cars from. I walked out there so fast it would have made your head spin. Not only did they lose my sale they lost all my sisters sales from that point on as well as a few others I could name.

• Options
    I tend to only go to the mega-blockbusters when they are shown in IMAX and/or 3D- the Marvel flicks, Star Trek, Godzilla, Bond.. Aside from those I would rather watch the film at home; my primary HT sounds better than 99% of the theaters that I go to.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Options
    edited October 2015
    The Martian really isn't a "sci-fi" movie. It's more about the power of science and rational thinking. A nerd movie more than anything else. No brain-eating Martian spiders, sorry. Thoroughly enjoyable. The hand of Ridley Scott is everywhere. Waaay better than "Gravity". re: Steve Jobs: Well at least his massive ego was backed up by actual accomplishment. I'm not sure I would call him a "visionary" in the best sense of the word. Like most utterly driven people, they do things because they have to do them, not necessarily to benefit anyone else. You know, we accomplished amazing things before smart phones. But he certainly changed the way we live. For better or worse? Probably some of both. Like Henry Ford. Freed millions from isolation, and also gassed us half to death.
    suydam said:

Shifty, if most of the movie takes place "off-planet", then it's Sci-Fi to me.  Maybe not to most people, but if the movie has space suits, rocket ships, and it takes place on a world other than our beloved Planet Earth, how bad can it be?

Oh, there have been some really bad Sci-Fi flicks mass produced in or around Hollywood, CA - but those aren't/weren't within my realm of true Sci-Fi lovers' films.

Consider "Forbidden Planet"!  That film starred Walter Pidgeon, Leslie Nielson and of course "Robbie the Robot!"  The special effects were outstanding for a film made in 1956 - in technicolor no less.  The acting was great except for Anne Francis.  But the script had some meat to it and science fiction had less to do with its success - it was a telling of what unlimited power placed in the hands of mortals can do to an entire race/culture of humanoids.

Remember the movie "THEM"?  It starred James Whitmore along with giant ants that were genetically altered after several "A-Bomb" tests conducted in the New Mexico Deserts.  James Arness also starred with Edmund Gwynn (Miracle on 42nd Street Santa).  Scarey movie (imagine waking up in the middle of the night with a 15 foot ant about to bite/sting you) that is still considered a Classic Sci-Fi film among film critics.

Yes - I am a Sci-Fi lover, but even I have reservations about "Brain Robbers From Outer Space" (2004) or "Snow Shark: Ancient Snow Beast" (2011).  I'm even embarrassed to reveal that I have actually seen flicks like these.  But, you have to take the bad (some just plain dumb) with the good (like Star Wars). :worried: 

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Finally getting the opportunity to watch "Jay Leno's Garage" on CNBC.  They had several episodes on tonight.  I found out about the new series here on Edmunds - one of you guys posted that it was pretty good.  After watching the first hour, I wholeheartedly agree.  GREAT SHOW about cars, cars, and nothing but cars! :smile: 

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    @oldfarmer50:

OF, I'll tell you what - if I win the lottery (which is doubtful since I've never bought a lottery ticket), you can pick out the wheels you want and I'll pay for them!  Is that a true friend or what? :smile: 

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    stever said:

45 days seems to be a long time to take a car out of inventory while the parties "try to work something out". It's not like GM is trying to decide on what Christmas card to send out. (WSJ)

If it all falls apart, maybe you can add (more) delay and (more) bad faith to the claim.

Interesting article you linked to. Most interesting part? This:

The fact is that all U.S. midsize cars contain the same parts count, the same engine and transmission technology, the same safety equipment, the same ABS brakes and traction control, the same or similar seats and interiors—and many of these parts even come from the same suppliers. A Chevrolet Malibu's material cost is within a couple percent of that of a BMW 3-Series.
    Is this really true? “A Chevrolet Malibu’s material cost is within a couple percent of that of a BMW 3-Series”

I am a big fan of iMax, it makes a huge difference. And I’m a really big fan of the classic science fiction, yes, including Forbidden Planet and Them. And who could possibly leave out The Day The Earth Stood Still?

As to Steve Jobs, I know a number of people who worked for him, back in the day. He was a tyrant, a truly terrible boss. I met him once, had an argument with him about Motorola 68020 instruction set versus Intel x86. He did not like to hear anyone who disagreed with him, about anything.

I am not a fan of “rubber band tires”. The first time you hit a pothole, and have to file an insurance claim to replace the tire and the wheel, you will have severe doubts yourself.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited October 2015
    Ah, well, Bob Lutz is opinionated, if nothing else. And he worked for BMW for a few years so .....

Then again, he also sold vacuum cleaners for a while, so maybe there's room for doubt. :D

Ever look behind that shiny skin on a car or take off a valve cover? Bunch of parts seemingly cobbled together and a bunch of spot welds behind the paint. I guess the art is bringing all those components together in a working assembly, and the good artists manage to make 'em perform well and run efficiently. I haven't eyeballed, say a Tesla, but jeeze, sometimes I think there hasn't been all that much advancement in automobile engineering in the last 50 years. Nothing like circuit board design.

I first became jaded around age 9 or 10 when I noticed someone's "cheapo" Chevy had the same Body by Fisher logo on the door sills as my Daddy's '53 Buick. Why pay more for a brand that's not much different from the competition underneath?

• Options
    edited October 2015
    @henryn:

Per your comment about "rubber band tires" (I am assuming you meant very low profile high performance tires), it's actually the wheel that breaks down, not the tire.  But you are correct in your assessment. 

I have mentioned before that if I lived in New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, etc., or any other major mettopolitan area, I would not have any tires or wheels on my car that were low profile or expensive (i.e. like what I have on my E400 now).  Because of the extreme temperature ranges those northern cities experience, the road surfaces crack, separate, and thus pot holes develop quickly - cities and counties just cannot keep up with repairs and repaving.

Down here in South Florida, our temps are not extreme and we do not have potholes or cracks on our surface streets like the have up north.  Our roads, streets and highways are some of the best in the country.  Because high performance summer tires improve handling and cornering to such an extent, I wouldn't have anything else on my car.  They do wear much faster because they are made with a much softer compound.  I just turned 8000 miles on my odometer and the front tires are about 3/5 worn.  The rear tires are about 2/5 worn.  Thus, I expect to replace the front tires at about 14,000 miles.  Because the tires have staggered sizes front and rear, I cannot rotate them which would improve tire tread life.  But it is well worth the additional costs involved because of the significant improvement of handling and cornering and responsiveness.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    I highly recommend the new series "Jay Leno's Garage"!  Outstanding and extremely informative.  I actually learned quite a boy about classic cars.  A must see for car enthusiasts.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    abacomike said:

@oldfarmer50:

OF, I'll tell you what - if I win the lottery (which is doubtful since I've never bought a lottery ticket), you can pick out the wheels you want and I'll pay for them!  Is that a true friend or what? :smile: 

Deal! :D

• Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,709
    edited October 2015
    I highly recommend the new series "Jay Leno's Garage"! Outstanding and extremely informative. I actually learned quite a boy about classic cars. A must see for car enthusiasts.

abacomike - hello to you from the nation's breadbasket! I agree on the Leno car show. One show he welcomed this dude that had a near-perfect 1968 Datsun 510 sedan. It was blue and it had a stick shift tranny and Jay was driving. He mentioned loving the drive of the thing - Datsun engineers made the car to compete with Porsche on the racetrack.

Wow-never would've thunk it, but I love that car's design - sort of a forerunner to the Nissan cube and Kia Soul and Scion xB in a way, if only that it is so square.

Ever get up north ta Tampa Bay? Around 2006 I made a brief job search for an Allied Healthcare job there that proved futile. Was wondering if you like Tampa Bay at all. I ended up taking a job in Geronimo's old homeland - Cochise County of SE Arizona. Loved living there so much that I believe I will retire there. There are the old Fort Bowie ruins there - that is the Fort the Cavalry held Geronimo in after they captured him - plus the Chiricahua Mountains are absolutely gorgeous and unusual spectacles that hardly anyone knows about. They are southern Arizona's answer to the north of Arizona's Grand Canyon.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    edited October 2015
    PF_Flyer said:

Movies and cars. How about best performance by a car in a movie? And I don't necessarily mean Christine, or the Batmobile. Could be just a car in a scene that caught your eye and made you think, "Look at THAT".

The 1960 Plymouth Fury from In The Heat Of The Night reminds me of the car models I used to build. Fins and chrome!

This is one of my favorites - 56 T-Bird from American Graffiti.

I once owned a 1958 Plymouth similar to your picture. Mine wasn't this nice, it was a 4 door and I owned it in 1968 :s

I would love a car with big fins. I feel like a jet pilot driving a car with huge fins.............

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,202
    edited October 2015
    One of my votes would be from The Rainman.

I tried to find some pictures of the car being driven into the
    convent in N. Ky where the sanitarium part of the movie was
    filmed--no luck.

click to view video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5GwMkjpOWc

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    I think my all-time favorite "car from a movie" would have to be the Ghostbusters' ambulance or the Back to the Future Delorean.

One movie that really impacted me was Gattaca, which released during my college days.  I'm cynical enough to genuinely believe our society would discriminate based off our genetic code, and that movie woke me up to that very real possibility.  Plus the electric cars seemed like a true vision into our future. 
  • Options
    One more thing...I always enjoy trying to catch more interior and exterior details on this well-known vehicle ;)

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,060
    wow, GG, $64k? That's a higher sticker than my V sport!

I just checked and I can get a 528ix up that high (higher, even), but it does take alot of options to do so.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,231
    edited October 2015
    One of the more underrated movies with a great car scene was 1967's "Point Blank", where Lee Marvin uses a '67 Imperial convertible to scare some info out of a shady connected-to-the-mob car salesman.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,513

One show he welcomed this dude that had a near-perfect 1968 Datsun 510 sedan. It was blue and it had a stick shift tranny and Jay was driving. He mentioned loving the drive of the thing - Datsun engineers made the car to compete with Porsche on the racetrack.

Wow-never would've thunk it, but I love that car's design - sort of a forerunner to the Nissan cube and Kia Soul and Scion xB in a way, if only that it is so square.

I owned a Datsun 1600 sedan, the forerunner of the 510 back in the early '70s, then bought a 510 used in '84 with 164K on it and sold it seven years later after I'd put an additional 106K on it. The 1600/510 was Nissan's copy of the BMW 1600/2002, and they did a bang-up job. Independent rear suspension, a bulletproof engine, and a very practical interior layout.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    PF_Flyer said:

One more thing...I always enjoy trying to catch more interior and exterior details on this well-known vehicle ;)

Love that Colombo car.

• Options
    I had a Datsun 1600 Roadster; great car.

• Options

One show he welcomed this dude that had a near-perfect 1968 Datsun 510 sedan. It was blue and it had a stick shift tranny and Jay was driving. He mentioned loving the drive of the thing - Datsun engineers made the car to compete with Porsche on the racetrack.

I owned a Datsun 1600 sedan, the forerunner of the 510 back in the early '70s, then bought a 510 used in '84 with 164K on it and sold it seven years later after I'd put an additional 106K on it. The 1600/510 was Nissan's copy of the BMW 1600/2002, and they did a bang-up job. Independent rear suspension, a bulletproof engine, and a very practical interior layout.

That 1600 does look like an earlier BMW.......or maybe a Lada :'(

I like that design....wish they had at least one car that looked like that now.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 244,056

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options

robr2 said:
    The Steve Jobs movie is based on the biography that was released just after his death. My understanding is that the movie barely touches upon what made Steve Jobs tick. Then again, the movie is a dramatic interpretation and really can't be used as a basis for a true look at the man. I read the biography. IMHO, Jobs was a genius with the ability to see many moves ahead of the competition. He was detail oriented to the point of being obsessive. If something was part of his vision, no amount of contrarian arguments could change his mind. His interpersonal skills suffered due to his laser focus on the other parts of his life. I wouldn't be surprised if he would have been diagnosed somewhere on the Asperger's spectrum.
    Many Aspergers diagnosed individuals score at the genius level on the performance IQ test.  One of the first intelligence tests used to diagnose Aspergers in children was the WISC-R (Wechsler Intelligence test revised). It provided IQ's in 3 formats - a Verbal IQ, a Performance IQ, and a full Scale IQ which was a weighted average of the verbal and performance IQ's.

The performance part of the test was
    merely laying out guidelines for achieving a series of goals or strategies  by providing the subject with instructions without any verbal interaction between the tester and the subject (I.e. Place a series of boxes in their correct sizes on top of one another.?!onñyother words, read the instructions and complete the task using paper and pencils The second part of the test was all verbal - give an instruction verbally or ask a question of the subject and the subject would verbally complete the task - no paper or pencil tasks were provided - just verbal interaction with the tester.

The results would be analyzed and compared wth subjects from throughout the country.  If there was a significant difference between the verbal and performance IQ's, it was a red flag that there was a learning disability present in the subject.  If the Verbal IQ score was 1 łor more standard deviations lower than the Perfprmance score (15 points is 1 standard deviation from the mean of 100)
    it represented a communications disorder which, by definiylyulllllllually Aspergers.  Aspergers children and young adults also exhibit very high performance IQ scores (often at a genius level of 138-145) but  below average verbal IQ scores (often in the EMH/TMH ranges (educably mentally handicapped/trainable mentally handicapped).

My grandson (the younger boy) has Aspergers and his test results were exceedingly high in performance (non-verbal) 144 IQ and 76 Verbal IQ.  Those results are indicative of a communication disorder/Aspergers.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    I highly recommend the new series "Jay Leno's Garage"! Outstanding and extremely informative. I actually learned quite a boy about classic cars. A must see for car enthusiasts. abacomike - hello to you from the nation's breadbasket! I agree on the Leno car show. One show he welcomed this dude that had a near-perfect 1968 Datsun 510 sedan. It was blue and it had a stick shift tranny and Jay was driving. He mentioned loving the drive of the thing - Datsun engineers made the car to compete with Porsche on the racetrack. Wow-never would've thunk it, but I love that car's design - sort of a forerunner to the Nissan cube and Kia Soul and Scion xB in a way, if only that it is so square. Ever get up north ta Tampa Bay? Around 2006 I made a brief job search for an Allied Healthcare job there that proved futile. Was wondering if you like Tampa Bay at all. I ended up taking a job in Geronimo's old homeland - Cochise County of SE Arizona. Loved living there so much that I believe I will retire there. There are the old Fort Bowie ruins there - that is the Fort the Cavalry held Geronimo in after they captured him - plus the Chiricahua Mountains are absolutely gorgeous and unusual spectacles that hardly anyone knows about. They are southern Arizona's answer to the north of Arizona's Grand Canyon.
    Welcome to the "group"!  If you want a more educated, experienced point of view regarding the Tampa/St. Pete area, "driver100" owns a condo in the St. Petersburg area.  He spends 5 months in Florida (November - April) during the winter and lives in Canada the rest of the year.  

Driver - share your thoughts and opinions about Tampa/St. Pete with "Iluvmysephia1" :smile: 

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Very solid, well-built little car, the Peugeot 403. I think Columbo's was a 1959 model.
  • Options
    abacomike said:

I highly recommend the new series "Jay Leno's Garage"! Outstanding and extremely informative. I actually learned quite a boy about classic cars. A must see for car enthusiasts.

abacomike - hello to you from the nation's breadbasket! I agree on the Leno car show. One show he welcomed this dude that had a near-perfect 1968 Datsun 510 sedan. It was blue and it had a stick shift tranny and Jay was driving. He mentioned loving the drive of the thing - Datsun engineers made the car to compete with Porsche on the racetrack.

Ever get up north ta Tampa Bay? Around 2006 I made a brief job search for an Allied Healthcare job there that proved futile. Was wondering if you like Tampa Bay at all. I ended up taking a job in Geronimo's old homeland - Cochise County of SE Arizona. Loved living there so much that I believe I will retire there. There are the old Fort Bowie ruins there - that is the Fort the Cavalry held Geronimo in after they captured him - plus the Chiricahua Mountains are absolutely gorgeous and unusual spectacles that hardly anyone knows about. They are southern Arizona's answer to the north of Arizona's Grand Canyon.

Welcome to the "group"!  If you want a more educated, experienced point of view regarding the Tampa/St. Pete area, "driver100" owns a condo in the St. Petersburg area.  He spends 5 months in Florida (November - April) during the winter and lives in Canada the rest of the year.  

Driver - share your thoughts and opinions about Tampa/St. Pete with "Iluvmysephia1" :smile: 

Mike, first regarding Steve Jobs and a Aspergers; That is a real possibility. People knew he as probably a genius even at an early age, but, he struggled in primary school.....a teacher took him under her wing in Grade 4 and that made a huge difference. He was a tough guy, but he seemed to have a heart as he developed relationships with some people, including his daughter - eventually.

About his death and the Pancreatic cancer he had....he probably would have survived if he got real medical attention, and had not depended on the holistic natural scammers. Quote from wiki:

Despite his diagnosis, Jobs resisted his doctors' recommendations for medical intervention for nine months,[112] instead relying on a pseudo-medicine diet to try natural healing to thwart the disease. According to Harvard researcher Ramzi Amri, his choice of alternative treatment "led to an unnecessarily early death."[109] Cancer researcher and alternative medicine critic David Gorski disagreed with Amri's assessment, saying, "My best guess was that Jobs probably only modestly decreased his chances of survival, if that."[113] Barrie R. Cassileth, the chief of Memorial Sloan–Kettering Cancer Center's integrative medicine department,[114] said, "Jobs's faith in alternative medicine likely cost him his life.... He had the only kind of pancreatic cancer that is treatable and curable.

Excellent wiki bio of Steve Jobs

Ill write about Tampa below.

• Options
    Since the Camaro is coming back, I wondered if I was going to go through "styling shock" so I decided to compare what I was riding around in when the first Camaro hit the streets to what I'm in now for the new one.
    Dad had this (in a dark green)

'67 Camaro

And now we drive this

2016 Camaro

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,670
    qbrozen said:

wow, GG, $64k? That's a higher sticker than my V sport!

I just checked and I can get a 528ix up that high (higher, even), but it does take alot of options to do so.

Q....I was surprised by the MSRP, too. But, like for like (compared to my '14), that's the sticker. I had thought Cadillac said they reduced the price. Could have fooled me.

On the other hand, things like Nav and a sunroof are now standard in the ones I was looking at, instead of optional as they were on my '14.

BTW, not sure if the dealer is pulling info out of the air or not, but he said there would be no CTS Sport of '16.....just a CTS V.

Just for grins, they did let me test drive this little gem.....http://jeffwylerfairfield.com/New-2016-Cadillac-ATS-V-V-SEDAN-RWD-Cincinnati-OH/vd/30876144

MERCY! It was a hoot. It almost made me think..."hey GG....for $70K, this car isn't a bad deal." Still believe that, too.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    Hi Iluvmysephia1, I didn't reply to your request because I don't consider myself enough of an expert to know if Tampa/St Petes is the best place in Florida to be. I like it a lot for our purposes, but you may want to research other areas too. Bradenton is nearby and that seems pretty nice, Sarasota, Fort Meyers, Naples (if you got the $$$$s and care about that) are nice areas too.

I like Tampa/St Petes because the temp is a little more moderate - being in the middle. My wife and I prefer areas where there are more regular type people....guess down to earth. We like observing the beautiful people and seeing their way of life once in awhile, but, don't choose to live in that competitive environment.

Tampa/St Petes offers all the great things Florida has to offer, swimming, fishing, natural areas, nice weather, affordable housing, great restaurants and shopping etc. I believe crime happens in certain areas and usually takes place after 12 or so. I doubt if it is worse than any other area.

I wouldn't want to live in say The Keys or Key West. It would take hours to get anywhere, like to another city or an airport or major hospital, and everything is expensive. A nice place to visit.....once, just to see it, but, not a practical place to live.

Arizona sounds nice too, and I have been there.....really depends on what is important to you.