Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,008

qbrozen said:

wow, GG, $64k? That's a higher sticker than my V sport!

I just checked and I can get a 528ix up that high (higher, even), but it does take alot of options to do so.

Q....I was surprised by the MSRP, too. But, like for like (compared to my '14), that's the sticker. I had thought Cadillac said they reduced the price. Could have fooled me.

Just for grins, they did let me test drive this little gem.....http://jeffwylerfairfield.com/New-2016-Cadillac-ATS-V-V-SEDAN-RWD-Cincinnati-OH/vd/30876144

MERCY! It was a hoot. It almost made me think..."hey GG....for $70K, this car isn't a bad deal." Still believe that, too.
    Probably an artificially high list price so they can knock $10k off the list price....new strategy!

GG, I'd insist on an even trade for that $70k model, case closed. It would help pay for what they put you through. That is one beautiful car!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited October 2015
    @Iluvmysephia1, my brother hits the Fort De Soto Campground every year about this time (they just got back from a short visit). We spent a week with them there not too many years ago. It's especially nice this time of year because the temp is cooler and the bugs are mostly gone.

Nice area, good view of "the" bridge from Fort De Soto, and I've always liked St. Pete since doing a couple of band trips there in the 60s. But the traffic can be bad. Almost three million people in the metro area now, but it's a big metro area. My MIL snowbirded in Lakeland for a decade and it was a nice area if you didn't want to be close to the beaches. Full of "real" people - just stay off the Tampa-Orlando corridor.
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,747

I usually use a set Klipsch Image S3m in-ear headphones, but I bought a set of Etymotic Research ER6i Isolators that also sound very good.. I hate extraneous noise when I'm at the gym so I have a set of Audio-Technica ATH-40-fs over-the-ear Studiophones I use when I'm on the treadmill or stationary bike.

RB....I have a pair if Klipsch X10. They were expensive brand new, but got some refubished ones direct from Klipsch. Small, very light, and best sounding in ear headphones I've tried....and I've tried a lot of them....including some from Westone.

Mike....stay strong!

Cadillac update....picked out a replacement...http://jeffwylerfairfield.com/New-2016-Cadillac-CTS-Cincinnati-OH/vd/29926623

So, I guess what's supposed to happen is the dealer submits the VIN# to Cadillac and they take care of all the paperwork. According to the dealer this could take anywhere between 2-4 weeks before we do the swap

Still a little sheepish about going down this route, and don't necessarily trust Cadillac enough that they'll actually make this happen.

Rented a Chevrolet Sonic while travelling for work last week. Entry level cars have come a long way. It was way under-tired. I'm sure Chevy is using skinny, low rolling resistance tires on this, and they were squirelly on the highway.

But, the car can travel on the interstate at 80 MPH with ease. Actually was quite comfortable and got up to speed reasonably quickly. A little noisy getting to speed, but once there it quieted down nicely for cruising.

It had bluetooth for my phone (which actually worked). Kind of a weird mix of analog (RPM) and digital (speedo, gear select, etc) guages.

Drove it around Detroit, Plymouth and Ann Arbor. Probably put 100-125 miles on it. Put $5 of gas in it to top it off before returning it to Hertz. Pretty darned frugal.

I'd consider it if I were looking for an around town runabout....certainly worlds better than a Smart Car.
    $64K for a 4 cylinder? Really? No wonder they scare people away into low sales
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,745
    BMW does the same thing. I honestly don't think people care much these days how many cylinders. Just what they get out of it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,709
    edited October 2015
    Hey, thanks for all of your input on the Tampa Bay area. Just gathering retirement data is all. I got a kick out of the New World Order Nissan/Datsun 510 under development. I read an article on that many moons ago and I would love to see them put that thing into production! Love the '68-era Datsun 510.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    Hey, thanks for all of your input on the Tampa Bay area. Just gathering retirement data is all. I got a kick out of the New World Order Nissan/Datsun 510 under development. I read an article on that many moons ago and I would love to see them put that thing into production! Love the '68-era Datsun 510.
    You might also want to check out Ponte Vedra FL and/or the northern suburbs of St. Augustine and the southern suburbs of Jacksonville.

I was just up there visiting my twin brother for our birthday (he lives in the Del Webb Ponte Vedra community).  I must admit that the area is beautiful.  The roads are beautifully kept and are expanding.  

If if you want to live in a part of Florida that actually experiences the seasons, northeast Florida would be my preference.  

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Now this is an autonomous car. (LA Times)
  • Options
    You might also want to check out Ponte Vedra FL and/or the northern suburbs of St. Augustine and the southern suburbs of Jacksonville.

I was just up there visiting my twin brother for our birthday (he lives in the Del Webb Ponte Vedra community). I must admit that the area is beautiful. The roads are beautifully kept and are expanding.

If if you want to live in a part of Florida that actually experiences the seasons, northeast Florida would be my preference.

I have considered the Jacksonville area before and will look more in to it. Thanks again! And what is Nissan calling that new 510 again? Kinda cool rig, actually.

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,328
    stickguy said:

BMW does the same thing. I honestly don't think people care much these days how many cylinders. Just what they get out of it.

I haven't driven any of the newer 4 cyl. turbos...but all the older 4 cyl. that I have driven had a rough idle when you were stopped at a red light, etc. I don't like having my steering wheel and seat vibrate.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,439
    houdini1 said:

I haven't driven any of the newer 4 cyl. turbos...but all the older 4 cyl. that I have driven had a rough idle when you were stopped at a red light, etc. I don't like having my steering wheel and seat vibrate.

The 1.8 liter NA four in my 318ti doesn't transmit any vibration to the passenger compartment, and neither does the 2.3 liter turbo four in my MS3- although the 2.3 does use a balance shaft.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    stever said:

That's not what I had in mind for a drive it itself kind of car.

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,328

houdini1 said:

The 1.8 liter NA four in my 318ti doesn't transmit any vibration to the passenger compartment, and neither does the 2.3 liter turbo four in my MS3- although the 2.3 does use a balance shaft.
    That's good to know.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    houdini1 said:

houdini1 said:

That's good to know.
    I will say the new BMW turbo four sounds a bit gruff when the engine stop/start is in operation.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,778
    My favorite movie/tv car.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    The coolest- driver AND car...

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,417
    @oldfarmer.
    It will be a nice winter quest finding some wheels for your Mustang.
    start with '2015 mustang take off wheels'.
    Have to agree with roadburner, on favorite movie car.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options

@oldfarmer.

And I like this one better from Bullet (that's what the owner claims). Evidently the asking price is $1 million. Owner says it had holes drilled in the car where the cameras were positioned.

Which one really would be faster....my guess, the Mustang?

• Options
    what is that, a 440 Charger? Could be a fair fight with a 390 mustang.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,497
    @verdugo - you got the overland with the HEMI & air suspension, right? How has it been on road & off?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    driver100 said:

verdugo said:

driver100 said:

nyccarguy said:

@verdugo - how's do you lie (I think nyc meant like)your GC?

Good question.....I would like to know too!
    Hi everybody. Still loving it.

The only problem has been with the radio. When you start it up, the XM radio sometimes takes a bit (20 seconds or so) before you can change stations. It hasn't bothered me enough to do something about it.

If you'd like to know anything else, just let me know here or send me a pvt message.
    Glad you are lovin the GC. My XM can take awhile....probably 10 to 15 seconds at the most to find the station when I first start up. It can take the same time to figure out the USB stick is plugged in. Seems to depend on various external factors...how close I am to the garage door, outside temp, maybe where the satellite is.

That's good to hear. I've never had this issue with previous vehicles. It's minor annoyance.
  • Options
    nyccarguy said:

@verdugo - you got the overland with the HEMI & air suspension, right? How has it been on road & off?

Yes, I do. I've only done some light off roading. It's been pretty good. Very smooth. I love the extra ground clearance.

It was also a champ in the snow. I did put snow tires on it, which helped.
  • Options

How was Crater Lake?

It was amazing. I kicked myself for not going sooner (I've lived in CA for 10 years.)

It was a last minute trip, so we weren't able to stay up at Crater Lake. We stayed at Medford, OR. We went in June so it wasn't too crowded yet, but we still got there really early which helped.

We walked down to the crater and took the long boat tour where they drop you off at the inner crater for 3 hours. We climbed that.

I highly recommend it.
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,352

I had a Datsun 1600 Roadster; great car.

Did you know that the Datsun was the second oldest car company?

It seems that when Carl Benz made his second car he told his wife who commented that she hoped that he wouldn't name it after another daughter. Benz said "Nope I am going to name it after our son." Mrs. Benz asked "which son" and he replied "Dat Son."

Ducking and running. B)

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    stever said:

Is that some safety feature Ferrari designed?

• Options
    PF_Flyer said:

Movies and cars. How about best performance by a car in a movie?

OK how about this one, and name the show or movie.

• Options
    only show I recall that used a Sunbeam Tiger was Get Smart. that obviously is not from the 60s. so unless there was a recent remake, I got no clue!

I like the S2000 in the background. My BIL has one that color.

• Options
    So, a little good news to report. A local paintless dent removal expert was able to work out the airport parking lot dent in the Impreza without any sign of damage other than a scratch in the clear coat. The paint coating protection I've applied won't allow paint to bond, so in the spring I'll compound and polish the door panel and the fill in the clear coat damage, and then re-coat the paint. By spring there won't be any sign of the incident whatsoever. The only bummer is the parking lot doesn't utilize cameras. How bizarre in today's world.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Movies and cars. How about best performance by a car in a movie?
    OK how about this one, and name the show or movie.
    "Get Smart", SUNBEAM ALPINE I believe!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Well, snake, am I correct?  :smile: 

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

I heard and read some great reviews on The Martian over the past couple of weeks.  As a true Sci-Fi fan, it's a must see for me.

All it is is a rip off of this Sci-Fi classic.

• Options
    stickguy said:

only show I recall that used a Sunbeam Tiger was Get Smart. that obviously is not from the 60s. so unless there was a recent remake, I got no clue!

I like the S2000 in the background. My BIL has one that color.

You got it, "Get Smart".

• Options
    driver100 said:

@oldfarmer.

And I like this one better from Bullet (that's what the owner claims). Evidently the asking price is $1 million. Owner says it had holes drilled in the car where the cameras were positioned.

Which one really would be faster....my guess, the Mustang?

If you watch the movie you can see that Charger wallow in the turns and spit off hub caps. I think the Mustang had a modified suspension so it wasn't really a fair fight.

Straight line I think the Mustang might have the edge because I think it was lighter.

I think looks-wise I'd choose the Charger but back then I was a Mopar fan so......

Steve Mcqueen might have been cool but if you read James Garner's autobiography it seems he wasn't a very nice person.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    stickguy said:

Dodge Charger R/T 426 V-8 Hemi 4-speed, model year 1968, version for North America U.S. (up to September)
    2-door coupe body type
    RWD (rear-wheel drive), manual 4-speed gearbox
    petrol (gasoline) engine with displacement: 6974 cm3 / 425.6 cui, advertised power: 317 kW / 425 hp / 431 PS ( SAE gross ), Torque net: 664 Nm / 490 lb-ft
    characteristic dimensions: outside length: 5283 mm / 208 in, wheelbase: 2972 mm / 117 in
    reference weights: base curb weight: 1805 kg / 3979 lbs
    how fast is this car ? top speed: 225 km/h (140 mph) (theoretical);
    accelerations: 0- 60 mph 5.4 s; 0- 100 km/h 5.7 s (a-c simulation); 1/4 mile drag time (402 m) 13.9 s (a-c simulation)
    fuel consumption and mileage: average estimated by a-c: 22.3 l/100km / 12.6 mpg (imp.) / 10.5 mpg (U.S.) / 4.5 km/l

Just read,the Mustang (1968 Ford Mustang 390 GT 2+2 Fastback) is a fraction of a second slower on the quarter mile..... .2 seconds.

• Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

You got it, "Get Smart".

To go further, it'e the Get Smart movie with Steve Carrell and Anne Hathaway (swooooon).
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    This car chase in Goldfinger never really works for me. The Mustang staying with the Aston Martin? Even though he was just toying with her, it just never looks like much more than product placement

• Options
    PF_Flyer said:
    This car chase in Goldfinger never really works for me. The Mustang staying with the Aston Martin? Even though he was just toying with her, it just never looks like much more than product placement
    Well all those cool gadgets that they equipped that Austin Martin with must weigh a lot, so much so that it must affect it's acceleration and handling. I mean machine guns and ejector seats aren't exactly light. 

• Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Heh...sure, bring physics into it ;)
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,670
    Wow....great classic cars in movies. I know Bullit is a classic. But, my favorite is still the car chase scenes in RONIN
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPOW1kLvWEg
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 243,083

Wow....great classic cars in movies. I know Bullit is a classic. But, my favorite is still the car chase scenes in RONIN

+1, GG. No CGI, just great driving.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    driver100 said:

stickguy said:

Dodge Charger R/T 426 V-8 Hemi 4-speed, model year 1968, version for North America U.S. (up to September)
    2-door coupe body type
    RWD (rear-wheel drive), manual 4-speed gearbox
    petrol (gasoline) engine with displacement: 6974 cm3 / 425.6 cui, advertised power: 317 kW / 425 hp / 431 PS ( SAE gross ), Torque net: 664 Nm / 490 lb-ft
    characteristic dimensions: outside length: 5283 mm / 208 in, wheelbase: 2972 mm / 117 in
    reference weights: base curb weight: 1805 kg / 3979 lbs
    how fast is this car ? top speed: 225 km/h (140 mph) (theoretical);
    accelerations: 0- 60 mph 5.4 s; 0- 100 km/h 5.7 s (a-c simulation); 1/4 mile drag time (402 m) 13.9 s (a-c simulation)
    fuel consumption and mileage: average estimated by a-c: 22.3 l/100km / 12.6 mpg (imp.) / 10.5 mpg (U.S.) / 4.5 km/l

Just read,the Mustang (1968 Ford Mustang 390 GT 2+2 Fastback) is a fraction of a second slower on the quarter mile..... .2 seconds.
    I got a 1967 Plymouth Fury with 440 engine up to 134mph once. So a 68 Charger with 426 could probably do 140.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    even pigs could fly with sufficient velocity. :) Takes a lot of HP to push a brick up to those speeds.
  • Options
    Nice chase scene. Never saw that movie. Should put on list.

Reminded me of the one Bourne movie chase in Moscow, with a fiat cab vs. a G wagon.

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,180
    edited October 2015

even pigs could fly with sufficient velocity. :) .

Only in Cincinnati

Flying Pig Marathon, May 1, 2016, in Porkopolis

http://flyingpigmarathon.com/

LOL

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options

That was fun.....some women drivers are really good (just joking if there are any ladies reading B) (just in case))

Great car chase, Rotten tomatoes.....reviewers give it 68%, audience gave it 80%.

The only thing I wonder is when that lady had time to comb her hair. In the early part it is falling into her eyes (must make driving difficult), but later it was brushed back. Hard to do in a mirror when you are driving like that.

She had the more difficult job too, she had to cut her way through traffic while De Niro just had to follow her path.

• Options
    Plus they were driving sticks. The way the good lord intended it to be.

• Options
    It seems every two years my auto insurance company comes up with an 18%-20% increase in my rates, no matter who I happen to be insured with at the time - it's a two year cycle.

Two years ago, I was insured with That Statue of Liberty Company (name withheld). They had outstanding rates for my car and I carry very high limits of liability and uninsured motorist. At renewal time, I received a $350 yearly increase in my rates (this company's policies run 12 months, not 6 months). So, after searching for another insurance company, I found a better and less expensive policy with that "reptilian" company. I was with them for 2 full years and, guess what - rates increased effective November 30th by $$240 per year ($120 for 6 month policy). It never fails to amaze me how stupid these insurance companies are when they raise rates out of sight on policy holders like me who drive 8,000-9,000 miles a year and have no claims, tickets, accidents, etc. They end up forcing their best drivers to seek insurance from competing companies. So I told them to let my policy expire as of November 30th and I went with another company.

I am now back with the Statue of Liberty Company (the same one I was with 2 years ago) at a savings of $450 per year with the exact same coverages. It's a game of musical chairs that I prefer not playing. I want to stay with my insurance company - I don't like having to go with another company every 2 years.

I realize it's my zip code and my credit score that are the major factors that determine what I am doing to pay for auto insurance, (my credit score is in the 800's so it is more zip code than anything else.), but if the insurance companies were smart, they would have other determiners or variables so they wouldn't end up driving off their best customers. But, alas, I guess I am going to have to go through this every two years until I have to stop driving. Just makes no sense to me at all.

I know most of you have similar frustrations with auto insurance policies, but down here in South Florida, you can almost wager that after 2 years, you will have a major increase in rates on your auto policy.

Thanks for letting me vent.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    I was going to change this month but no one came close to the rate I'm getting. I usually check every renewal period.

Think of what we could save if they retired Flo and that gecko...
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I realize it's my zip code and my credit score that are the major factors that determine what I am doing to pay for auto insurance, (my credit score is in the 800's so it is more zip code than anything else.), but if the insurance companies were smart, they would have other determiners or variables so they wouldn't end up driving off their best customers. But, alas, I guess I am going to have to go through this every two years until I have to stop driving. Just makes no sense to me at all.

No prob. I am paying about $110 more a month with the reptilian company insuring our 2011 Kia Soul. No accidents or tickets since 2000. That one I was driving our 1999 Kia Sephia and it was the other guy's fault, too. It goes by zip code they tell me. There's a lot of illegals here in Dodge City and Kansas in general, but, $110 more a month?

I'm gonna call a local American Family Insurance agent on Friday and get my "New World Order car insurance quote." It just kind of runs in a circle, don't it? :(

• Options
    I realize it's my zip code and my credit score that are the major factors that determine what I am doing to pay for auto insurance, (my credit score is in the 800's so it is more zip code than anything else.), but if the insurance companies were smart, they would have other determiners or variables so they wouldn't end up driving off their best customers. But, alas, I guess I am going to have to go through this every two years until I have to stop driving. Just makes no sense to me at all. No prob. I am paying about $110 more a month with the reptilian company insuring our 2011 Kia Soul. No accidents or tickets since 2000. That one I was driving our 1999 Kia Sephia and it was the other guy's fault, too. It goes by zip code they tell me. There's a lot of illegals here in Dodge City and Kansas in general, but, $110 more a month? I'm gonna call a local American Family Insurance agent on Friday and get my "New World Order car insurance quote." It just kind of runs in a circle, don't it? :(
    That is a lot of money for a Kia Soul.  With the new insurance policy, I will be paying $120 a month for a 2015 E 400.  With the old policy, I would have paid $140 a month.  

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    I shopped last renewal after ours went up, and actually could not beat it. But to be fair, I won't go to the cheapie companies with annoying spokesmen and spconstant commercials. Currently with AAA.