Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

Today was my last day of work at my old company and I finished the day early around 11. For my half day of funemployment, I decided to pick up some beer and spend the afternoon detailing the GTI.  It was the most relaxing afternoon I've had in quite some time.  

A couple pictures. 

Nice relaxing afternoon, I'd say!

Looks great!

Not sure if I already mentioned, but big congrats on the new gig!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,679
    sda said:

I spent the first half of the day with my daughter as she got her learners permit. This evening I took her to a large parking lot where she drove for the first time. Much more instruction and practice needed but she did well. My girl is growing up!

Driver training. One of the most terrifying but rewarding periods in a parent's life. My BIL was so traumatized by it that he turned the whole thing over to me for both son and daughter.

Both passed on the first try. :)

Try not to yell.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

Today was my last day of work at my old company and I finished the day early around 11. For my half day of funemployment, I decided to pick up some beer and spend the afternoon detailing the GTI.  It was the most relaxing afternoon I've had in quite some time.  

A couple pictures. 

Cool wheels.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    qbrozen said:

Wife came back from her biz trip with gifts for me

Don't ever let her go. :p

• Options
    edited June 2017
    OK back to hooptie dreams. Thought this would be nice to tool around in on nice days.

https://albany.craigslist.org/cto/6190416486.html

Yes, I know it would be slower than a turtle and handle like a hippo but those attributes aren't what I'm looking for.

Other than having the frame rigidity of spaghetti was there any other notable problems with these cars?

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,397

driver100 said:

Great looking car FF. I really like those wheels and the red line along the front. Did you take the badges off?

Enjoy your break, having this break might feel like getting off of a fast moving merry go round.

Nope!  I actually find the GTI badging fairly innocuous. I think maybe if I had a Golf R I'd feel differently. 

That was an apt way to describe the feeling. I probably could have used a few more days to decompress before starting the new gig, but it just was not in the cards. 
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

OK back to hooptie dreams. Thought this would be nice to tool around in on nice days.

Yes, I know it would be slower than a turtle and handle like a hippo but those attributes aren't what I'm looking for.

Other than having the frame rigidity of spaghetti was there any other notable problems with these cars?

Cheap and cheerful---not much to plague you here. Maybe you could find a 2.3 turbo motor to put in there.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,955

"Was a daily driver for me for almost 3 years.... Only reason I'm selling is so I can find a vehicle that I could drive year round."

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,367

You know better than that; a Mustang-other than an SVO-equipped with anything other than a V8 is an abominable crime against nature- it's almost as bad as a Miata with an automatic...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,176
    The late 80s and early 90s were not a golden age for cars. For 2K, that seems like a deal if it is sound. A white 4cyl Fox Mustang convertible, Vanilla Ice on a budget.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,098

You don't want a 4-cylinder '80s Mustang unless its a SVO, and even that is questionable.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options

A couple pictures. 

Nice relaxing afternoon, I'd say!

Looks great!

Not sure if I already mentioned, but big congrats on the new gig!

For sure - thanks much, @graphicguy
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    qbrozen said:

"Was a daily driver for me for almost 3 years.... Only reason I'm selling is so I can find a vehicle that I could drive year round."
    My Lincoln was a daily driver that was only used part of the year.

• Options
    edited June 2017

You know better than that; a Mustang-other than an SVO-equipped with anything other than a V8 is an abominable crime against nature- it's almost as bad as a Miata with an automatic...
    Did they have SVO for 92? I thought the best was a 4.9L (5.0).with 200hp. The SVT Cobra didn't come out until 93 and that only had about 225hp. A 93 Mark VIII could give that a run. I could have kept mine if it came as a vert.

A gentle cruiser is how I see myself rolling.

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    This morning, I decided to drive my 740i in "Sport Mode" to see if there was any real difference in the way the car responded, handled and cornered. I've never used the Sport mode before - sticking mainly to Comfort and Comfort Plus as well as ECOPRO modes. I had made the assumption that these different modes really didn't change anything about the driving impressions. Boy was I wrong!

First, the car zips off at the light with more thrust and gets up to speed limit much faster. Second, the car felt taut and super responsive to my steering input and handled turns and cornering with authority as opposed to the other modes I've driven the car in which provided me with a more "cushy" feedback. Third, the Stop/Start function is automatically disabled with no input needed from me to turn it off. Fourth, I could "sense" and/or "feel" the road for the first time since buying the car. It felt like I was driving a totally different car - definitely sportier and more responsive.

The only negative in using Sport mode was fuel economy. While driving on the highway, it never gets into 8th gear and fuel economy dropped about 15%. Around town, it drops even more - closer to 20%.

It also firms up the suspension because I noticed when I went back into Comfort mode, the car's air suspension seemed to soften up. I think I will use the Sport mode more when I am driving around town where starting, cornering and stopping is more frequent. On the highway, I will put it into ECOPRO or Comfort. There is also a Comfort Plus mode which softens the ride so much it feels more like one of my older Cadillac De Ville's. I guess there is a driving mode for just about every type of driver.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    edited June 2017

It's a hooptie, right? It's a 'vert. Top goes down (and hopefully back up). If everything works, tires are OK, it doesn't smoke.....at $2K, no harm/no foul!

But, as others have said, that drivetrain is the Achilles Heel!

Had a Temp with that 4 cyl motor. Dog slow doesn't begin to describe how wimpy it is. As long as you're not going to take in on the highway much (where 60 MPH might be a struggle, even with an engine that has fewer miles), you'll be fine.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    You'll probably never take it out of sport mode again!

That is one NICE car! It's also a car I wouldn't want to own out of it's factory warranty!
  • Options
    Awhile back I talked I think in this forum about a family member who was going to sell a Model A pickup that had been stored for many years. Well, they sold it without letting me know. They sold it to their handyman for 5200.00. I think I probably would have passed after giving this a lot of thought.

A Model A has a lot of appeal but they are far from being a fun car to drive. They lack ANY kind of safety features and struggle to cruise at 40MPG. They have little legroom and are nasty to steer.

So, my search for a third car go's on. I will say there is NO SHORTAGE of Craigslist flakes, car flippers and BS artists out there!
  • Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327

I saw that on the news, it was horrible. What's wrong with some people?
    Well for one thing you have to be a real dummy to try and kick a car while on a motorcycle. Basic physics.
    Looked to me like the car tried to retaliate and lost control, the motorcycle and rider seemed to fare pretty well.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977

I like those little Mustangs.....kinda cute. You know the big problems, slow as a turtle, not much in the way of handling, not solid feeling, not great comfort.....but cute as a bug.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    abacomike said:

This morning, I decided to drive my 740i in "Sport Mode" to see if there was any real difference in the way the car responded, handled and cornered. I've never used the Sport mode before - sticking mainly to Comfort and Comfort Plus as well as ECOPRO modes. I had made the assumption that these different modes really didn't change anything about the driving impressions. Boy was I wrong!

First, the car zips off at the light with more thrust and gets up to speed limit much faster. Second, the car felt taut and super responsive to my steering input and handled turns and cornering with authority as opposed to the other modes I've driven the car in which provided me with a more "cushy" feedback. Third, the Stop/Start function is automatically disabled with no input needed from me to turn it off. Fourth, I could "sense" and/or "feel" the road for the first time since buying the car. It felt like I was driving a totally different car - definitely sportier and more responsive.

The only negative in using Sport mode was fuel economy. While driving on the highway, it never gets into 8th gear and fuel economy dropped about 15%. Around town, it drops even more - closer to 20%.

It also firms up the suspension because I noticed when I went back into Comfort mode, the car's air suspension seemed to soften up. I think I will use the Sport mode more when I am driving around town where starting, cornering and stopping is more frequent. On the highway, I will put it into ECOPRO or Comfort. There is also a Comfort Plus mode which softens the ride so much it feels more like one of my older Cadillac De Ville's. I guess there is a driving mode for just about every type of driver.

That's a nifty option. So you have an air suspension that must up the pressure to dial out body roll and bounce. That's a modern nanny that I'd actually like. No need for lowering springs or upgraded sway bars.

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

That is one NICE car! It's also a car I wouldn't want to own out of it's factory warranty!

If I keep this car for over 4 years, I would get an extended warranty through BMW.  Quite costly - $5000+ for 6 years/75,000 miles total age and mileage.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

abacomike said:

That's a nifty option. So you have an air suspension that must up the pressure to dial out body roll and bounce. That's a modern nanny that I'd actually like. No need for lowering springs or upgraded sway bars.

In my 2012 535 when you put the car into Sport mode you could feel it get lower, you could feel the steering get firmer, and the gears downshifting. The Mercedes does it too but not to the same degree.

I love sport mode, I don't worry about the lower mileage, it is like driving an entirely different car.

• Options
    abacomike said:

If I keep this car for over 4 years, I would get an extended warranty through BMW.  Quite costly - $5000+ for 6 years/75,000 miles total age and mileage.

Not bad...pretty much worry free driving for $1000 a year. I wouldn't want to be without a warranty on that baby.

• Options
    edited June 2017

Awhile back I talked I think in this forum about a family member who was going to sell a Model A pickup that had been stored for many years. Well, they sold it without letting me know. They sold it to their handyman for 5200.00. I think I probably would have passed after giving this a lot of thought.

A Model A has a lot of appeal but they are far from being a fun car to drive. They lack ANY kind of safety features and struggle to cruise at 40MPG. They have little legroom and are nasty to steer.

So, my search for a third car go's on. I will say there is NO SHORTAGE of Craigslist flakes, car flippers and BS artists out there!

I don't know about your area but Saturday morning is the day scammers post all their "reply to my Gmail" cars. They are so lame that they frequently use the same text for multiple cars. This morning SUVS and econo cars all had highly modified racing engines in them.

• Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    @oldfarmer50 same hear look from time to time.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,329
    @driver100,
    That's 5k for 2 additional years. Could be worth it.
    I think extending the 3/36 B2B to 7/100 is about $2k for my F150.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989

Are you who you say you are or is this really @driver100 ? :o

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• Options
    abacomike said:

Why do you think they charge so much ?

jmonroe

• Options
    edited June 2017
    The safety wire on my gas mower broke, so I mowed part of the yard with my battery mower.
    I'll admit I was feeling some range anxiety.
    Didn't like it when I went off the lawn(say to turn around), felt like I was wasting power.
  • Options
    driver100 said:

abacomike said:

Not bad...pretty much worry free driving for $1000 a year. I wouldn't want to be without a warranty on that baby.

And if you calculate it by the second, one might wonder why they don't charge twice as much for such a bargain.

jmonroe

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    driver100 said:

abacomike said:

In my 2012 535 when you put the car into Sport mode you could feel it get lower, you could feel the steering get firmer, and the gears downshifting. The Mercedes does it too but not to the same degree.

I love sport mode, I don't worry about the lower mileage, it is like driving an entirely different car.
    Split personalities I like to say.

Even at idle you can clearly tell in my newer '16 Audi TTS. In "Comfort" mode at idle you are quiet, and at 700-800 RPM. No vibration and almost no noise. Switch to "Dynamic" mode and you instantly hear it, RPM's jump to idle at 1200-1300 RPM, steering firms, exhaust opens up so you don't forget the higher idling speed, and of course, transmission shifts into "S" mode. Once you get going you really do notice the heavier steering and firmer suspension calibration.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    We offered extended warranties on the used cars we sold that qualified. Those warranty companies are no more than insurance companies and they use actuary tables and they seem to know what they are doing. In fact, a person could pretty much judge the reliability of a used car by the amount they charge. A used Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla are pretty inexpensive. The more complex the car, the higher the premimum. They don't much like anything European. Volkswagens are very expensive but move up to a Volvo or an Audi and the ball go's over the fence. I once sold a used V-8 Jaguar and they would only cover it for a year and I think it was something like 4500.00! Land Rovers they won't touch for ANY amount of money. The rep told me they kept raising the price thinking and maybe hoping people would be discouraged but some still bought and they got burned almost every time. They sold warranties for Mercedes but the price was staggering and I suppose for good reason.
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

We offered extended warranties on the used cars we sold that qualified. Those warranty companies are no more than insurance companies and they use actuary tables and they seem to know what they are doing. In fact, a person could pretty much judge the reliability of a used car by the amount they charge. A used Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla are pretty inexpensive. The more complex the car, the higher the premimum. They don't much like anything European. Volkswagens are very expensive but move up to a Volvo or an Audi and the ball go's over the fence. I once sold a used V-8 Jaguar and they would only cover it for a year and I think it was something like 4500.00! Land Rovers they won't touch for ANY amount of money. The rep told me they kept raising the price thinking and maybe hoping people would be discouraged but some still bought and they got burned almost every time. They sold warranties for Mercedes but the price was staggering and I suppose for good reason.

I never understood the "it costs too much to offer it approach." You can always raise your number. Heck, they could put in a clause that the warranty won't pay out more than the total cost of the vehicle in aggregate over the lifetime of the warranty. Would anyone pay double the used car cost to have a warranty; probably not any sane person, but you never know?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    Been watching Barrett-Jackson from CT on and off the last couple of days. Been the usual hype fest but even worse this time because the overall quality of cars was pretty lousy. Some nice ones but most seemed the type of cars you'd find at a local cruise-in or C&C. I guess they make money at it but hardly seemed worth 3 days on Velocity.

• Options
    @ab348,
    I agree very underwhelming. It's only an hour away from me, but not interested.
  • Options
    andres3 said:

I never understood the "it costs too much to offer it approach." You can always raise your number. Heck, they could put in a clause that the warranty won't pay out more than the total cost of the vehicle in aggregate over the lifetime of the warranty. Would anyone pay double the used car cost to have a warranty; probably not any sane person, but you never know?
    They do just that. I was doing some research on the Chrysler 2.7L V6 to see if they ever fixed the sludge problem and several forums stated that warranty companies would only authorize repairs up to the book value of the car.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    ab348 said:

Been watching Barrett-Jackson from CT on and off the last couple of days. Been the usual hype fest but even worse this time because the overall quality of cars was pretty lousy. Some nice ones but most seemed the type of cars you'd find at a local cruise-in or C&C. I guess they make money at it but hardly seemed worth 3 days on Velocity.

I was watching that too. Was considering attending just for laughs but it's really expensive. $350 for one and guest, $500 if you want drinks.

Mecum on the other hand only charges $100.

• Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    @ab348 so so trew and every one elce above to. have bin also watching Barat Jakson on and off was not inpreased with much it all. same old same old just like the past number of auctions they have bin having.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

@driver100,
    That's 5k for 2 additional years. Could be worth it.
    I think extending the 3/36 B2B to 7/100 is about $2k for my F150.

Good point...missed that on the tablet...ha ha. $2500 a year for two years.
    Have to rethink, I think I would go without a warranty once the initial warranty is over, then I would see how it goes. If I saw any sign of problems I would ditch it....If the car seemed good I would consider going into a 2nd warranty free year.

• Options
    jmonroe said:

Are you who you say you are or is this really @driver100 ? :o

jmonroe
    No, I plead temporary insanity.......I rethought that one.....see above.

• Options
    We got an email from our neighbors in Florida that the floor was all wet in the master bathroom in the Florida place. Apparently seals on the toilet broke and water leaked out of tank...main water supply is shut off.

Main problem is water got on the floor, gets soaked up drywall, and mold can grow.
    Management company uses their plumbing company to fix toilet.
    Plumber calls in reconstruction company....guy gets fans going to dry up place.
    Gives us a report with pictures, really makes damage sound extensive and unless he starts working on it , it will get much worse.
    He wants us to sign all these waivers for his insurance company, and he wants our credit card info.
    We email him we are in Germany and don't have our U.S. credit card with us.
    He says in that case send him $3000 AND HE ESTIMATES DAMAGE WILL BE $8000!

The management company said the condo insurance will cover the damage to most of it since the drywall is part of the common property, and he will get a second estimate.

His reconstruction company went in and said damage is way less than the first guy stated and most will be covered by insurance. We will have to buy a new vanity because the wood soaked up some water....possibility they will pay, not sure.

Why am I telling this long Just Monroe type story?

1. Always get second opinion if it doesn't sound right,
    2. Toilet tank seals can go and water can leak out
    3. This can be a big problem in warm climates where mold can start growing, And,

4. Why wouldn't they use those tiles in homes in warm climates with the tiles that are rounded and that go part way up the wall? It would be simple to do and would protect the drywall from this kind of problem. I don't know anything about D.I.Y. or construction, but I think sometimes things could be made so much more intelligently. I also don't know why they don't make bathrooms with removable panels so you can get at all the pipes and valves etc without ripping out tiles and drywall.

OK, I have vented. Today we are off to see the final in the Garry Weber Open, Federer vs. 20 year old German Zerkhov.

• Options
    edited June 2017

@ab348 so so trew and every one elce above to. have bin also watching Barat Jakson on and off was not inpreased with much it all. same old same old just like the past number of auctions they have bin having.

Well, they did have a Plymouth Superbird go through (don't recall at what price) and they did have something go for $300k+. lots of unique Corvettes. Funny how a $100 option back then can make them worth more now.

There was even a 93 Land Rover that went for almost $100k, more than twice it's origonal MSRP.

Maybe Isell bought it for his third car since he is so fond of that brand. ;)

• Options
    Only a few of the selling prices made much sense. To me one of the biggest indicators of where the crowd's collective heads were was a purportedly mostly as-original 1950s-built California-style hot rod yesterday that seemed to me to be one of the coolest things there - it could barely make it to $12K. Meanwhile ugly new Transformers-style Jeeps were getting close to 6 figures. And fiberglass-bodied clone Cobras - with "thick fiberglass" according to Magnante, making it sound like an advantage over the original aluminum bodies - were around $60K. Nuts. Everybody must have been liquored up.

• Options
    28FF...you inspired me....done yesterday while consuming a few Summer Shantys......
    Detail
  • Options
    Looks awesome!!
  • Options
    Detail
  • Options
    Detail
  • Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559
    Just got back with the wife from a nice little trip, sans kids, to visit one of my close HS friends and his wife who live in the Cleveland area. Spent some time at the Horseshoe Casino, visited one of my favorite breweries (Great Lakes), browsed the Westside Market for anyone familiar with the area for some food to grill up, and no trip is complete without a stop at Melt. Nothing fancy but it was relaxing to spend some time away from work and have a mental break before I formally take over managing my entire group in 1 week.

Easy 2 hour drive from Pittsburgh and got around 30MPG in the Audi cruising at a steady 75-80. In two weeks we'll be back in Ohio visiting my sister, BIL, and their kids in Cincinnati. Hoping to do a tour of Rhinegeist if time permits.

@graphicguy the car looks great and with the changes made to the front end I think it's definitely going to be worth a look.

I should crack open some of the brews I brought home and give my car the same treatment.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    andres3 said:

Don't ask me, ask the warranty company!

As I understand it, they DID raise the charges several times and continued to get burned!