Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    pensfan83 said:

Nice! As others have said, nothing better than a clean black car. Love your A4.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,098

Not to be snarky but do A4 come in any other color? In my area I never seem to see anything else.

The #1 color for them here seems to be white, followed by black. I suspect that is because the dealer knows that even with Audi buyers, our notorious cheapskate tendencies here tend to repel people from paying extra for a paint color which happens with any shade other than those. The same is true for M-Bs here, though you do see more of them in silver which is extra-cost.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    I've been reading "first drive" reviews of the 2018 Toyota Camry and they all sound the same.

The test drives were done in Portland at a big Toyota reveal. Apparently, auto journalists were invited to Portland to assess the new Camry. All the reviews were positive and appeared to follow a Toyota prepared script. In one video review the journalist bragged that Toyota had brought him out here, implying that it was a free trip.

So I am thinking, isn't this a rigged system if Toyota pays the freight for every journalist invited to the big reveal? Before condemning Toyota I'd like to hear others take on this opaque ethical business practice.
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,679
    bwia said:

I've been reading "first drive" reviews of the 2018 Toyota Camry and they all sound the same.

The test drives were done in Portland at a big Toyota reveal. Apparently, auto journalists were invited to Portland to assess the new Camry. All the reviews were positive and appeared to follow a Toyota prepared script. In one video review the journalist bragged that Toyota had brought him out here, implying that it was a free trip.

So I am thinking, isn't this a rigged system if Toyota pays the freight for every journalist invited to the big reveal? Before condemning Toyota I'd like to hear others take on this opaque ethical business practice.

I would think it's due more to pressure from the publisher who fears loss of ad revenue from a negative review. As in many walks of life no one tells you directly to lie but if you don't you have a real short career.

But it's not just Toyota. When I was reading up on my Eclipse the early reviews were full of superlatives. After a year or two the comments on the car were much less glowing.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    Once consumers reports gets one, will gave unbiased opinion. Car and drive will shred it too if drives like a marshmallow.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Well, C&D needs all the ammo it can get to justify keeping the Accord on their 10 Best list.

I've seen those reports too. They say the SE and XSE are not super-soft, but I imagine the best-selling LE will hit its marks perfectly for the target buyer of such a car. I do like the pics of the red leather interior I've seen, good luck finding one of those on a dealer lot.

While a free trip to Portland might buy some positive press, Toyota comes off as a piker compared to what Honda did recently for the intro of the new Odyssey. It was held in Hawaii, and in addition to paying for the auto writers to fly there, giving them accommodations and food and entertainment for a few days, Honda also sent their families with them. The justification was that it was a family vehicle so they needed to experience that with their better half and kids in tow. Big bucks buys good press I guess. It really is a very shady game though.

It has been a long-standing practice in the auto magazine business, which explains why the reviews at intro time in the magazines are almost always positive, while only a year or so later criticisms tend to creep in.

• Options
    Well, in real life, cars are often great on a test drive. But after you live with it for a while, flaws appear.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    Everyone's car is loooking fantastic!  I got the Infiniti washed on Saturday after work.  The Prelude on the other hand is sitting outside caked in pollen.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,176
    edited June 2017
    How nice of them to attach a railroad tie to the front end to aid in towing.

re: hard water spots, I know there are numerous cures available, both liquid and a thicker powder/paste.

Here's one for Roadburner. He could probably buff it out a little and take it right to the track.

https://albany.craigslist.org/cto/6193157994.html

• Options
    It's the same here. A black 3/C/A4 or 5/E/A6 seems to be default, then white, then silver or grey. Gotta keep MSRP down to make the lease more attractive. The turn signal option pack seems to be one that encounters resistance, must be expensive! B)
    ab348 said:

The #1 color for them here seems to be white, followed by black. I suspect that is because the dealer knows that even with Audi buyers, our notorious cheapskate tendencies here tend to repel people from paying extra for a paint color which happens with any shade other than those. The same is true for M-Bs here, though you do see more of them in silver which is extra-cost.

• Options
    Yuck. Worst possible iteration of that car. Not at all worth restoring. Part it out and be done with it.

No title of keys? Icing on the. Cake.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,366
    bwia said:

Every manufacturer flies in journalists for vehicle introductions. I have covered 3 BMW world premiers as well as one US premier for Roundel magazine, and they were all pretty elaborate affairs. That said, I never felt pressured by either BMW or my editor to write a glowing review, In fact my last article(on the F16 X6) could hardly be called an enthusiastic endorsement. I'd also note that both Car and Driver and Road&Track have not been all that complementary towards most of Munich's current lineup.

It is easy to spot the lazy journalists, as they essentially just tweak the press materials when they crank out their story.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options

Here's one for Roadburner. He could probably buff it out a little and take it right to the track.

I had a 1975 '02, kept it for about 7 years, and sold it for what I paid for it. However, mine was in very good shape and didn't need much remedial work. If that car was a 1971-1973 tii it might be worth restoring, but a 1975 in such rough shape is not a viable proposition.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977
    pensfan83 said:

Thank you both.

@driver100 - The car is a pseudo garage queen, it only has 23,600 miles on it despite being 3 years old. I have the benefit of taking public transportation to work so the car sits for the most part during the week. Also doesn't hurt that it's a manual and the wife can't drive it. The replacement will likely be an auto so it gets more use.

Pensfan, you weren't here when we traded in my wife's 2013 A.4 for a 2015 Mercedes G.L.K. She was upset when the clutch burned out at 15000 miles and they said it wasn't a warranty repair.....original cost to fix was $2300. Got it down to $1200 with a lot of emails.

We loved the car, love the handling, the comfort, excellent sight lines......A fun car to drive. For those who love manuals but haven't driven a newer Audio I love the way the car let's you know what gear is best to be in.

I would consider another Audio if I really preferred it to other cotenders, would only get an automatic and wouldn't want to be without a warranty.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options

Nice...He has it all hooked up so it can be towed away......what a deal!

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

Everyone's car is loooking fantastic!  I got the Infiniti washed on Saturday after work.  The Prelude on the other hand is sitting outside caked in pollen.

Nyc, where were you when I was discussing my toilet problems?

Go back about 4 or 5 pages and see my long post about a leaking tank.

See my idea about making bathrooms more waterproof....we could make $millions.

• Options
    Just need a floor drain, like in a public bathroom. Problem solved.

• Options
    stickguy said:

I was thinking of that when I had mine redone. Tile everything, slant the floor towards the drain, no need for shower curtains or whatever. Just hose the whole thing off every now and then. ;)

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559
    @driver100 No I wasn't here for that but it would definitely leave me upset as well, especially with so few miles on the clock. Fortunately I haven't noticed any signs of slippage and I'm close enough to the end of my lease that I would try to ride it out (no pun intended) if signs manifested.

As for the car, I love it. Power delivery is smooth, handling is crisp, quality is top notch, and it's simply a fun car to have in the garage. However we're now at a point where 2 sedans don't make a lot of sense for the family so unless the dealer blows me away to re-up on a new A4, I'll likely be targeting an SUV for myself come September. I'll give the Q5 a look but I think an X1 would lease better.

IF I had an offer on the table for A4, manual or auto, that was too good to pass up then we would probably consider trading the Altima in on an SUV.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    stickguy said:

Stick and Ab, really good idea. The 3 hotels we have stayed in have had walk in showers. They make the drain so it isn't even noticable, just a line or a straight line grill. They could float the floor a bit so it can drain at edges. I guess it is too simple and intelligent to impliment. Think of the flooding that could be prevented, especially in a two story home!

• Options
    pensfan83 said:

@driver100 No I wasn't here for that but it would definitely leave me upset as well, especially with so few miles on the clock. Fortunately I haven't noticed any signs of slippage and I'm close enough to the end of my lease that I would try to ride it out (no pun intended) if signs manifested.

As for the car, I love it. Power delivery is smooth, handling is crisp, quality is top notch, and it's simply a fun car to have in the garage. However we're now at a point where 2 sedans don't make a lot of sense for the family so unless the dealer blows me away to re-up on a new A4, I'll likely be targeting an SUV for myself come September. I'll give the Q5 a look but I think an X1 would lease better.

IF I had an offer on the table for A4, manual or auto, that was too good to pass up then we would probably consider trading the Altima in on an SUV.

Pen you probably missed my review of an X.1 rental I had when my 2015 E.400 got totalled. I loved it especially after I had to take back a Fusion that kept stalling out and a Chrysler 300 that wanted to steer itself. Lots of fun, but just me, I like the spaciousness and layout of the A.4 more - though both are fun cars to drive. With so few miles on it, the A.4 might be worth buying back???

• Options
    driver100 said:

nyccarguy said:

It probably would be cheaper to fly him and his family down to Florida to fix it than that first con man. I'd report him to whatever licensing agencies they have down there.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Here is what I ended up with!

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/6192480588.html

I spotted this about ten minutes after he posted it. And he actually posted his (gasp!) phone number unlike
    95% of the other ads. You can't believe how many ads I responded to through emails and how few people responded back to me! I would think maybe some of these cars had sold but not many since I kept refreshing my search.

The Explorer is very unusual. The owner was anal in his care and there is an inch thick folder of receipts. Anything the Ford Dealership suggested was done ahead of schedule. Synthetic oil etc. It is immaculate inside
    and out and given the 5000 miles/yr I'll put on it should be good for awhile.

Any suggestions on how I can remove the dark tint on the front two windows? I'll admit it looks cool for on dark rainy days tint REALLY cuts down on the visability. Besides, cops hate dark tint and this is so dark it
    may be illegal.

No, I didn't pay his asking price!
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

Detail

Love what they did with the back end; which was a weak point IMHO as much as the front end beak was before. Like the red on that car, though I don't mind a brighter lighter red either.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    Nice truck. I took the 2 Series to a recommended tint shop to have the tint removed. I think it cost around $125- cheap enough that it wasn't worth a DIY attempt.

• Options
    Good advise. I've seen DIY removal jobs and they don't look good. That glue is hard to get off with scratching the glass I would think.
  • Options
    andres3 said:

Detail

Love what they did with the back end; which was a weak point IMHO as much as the front end beak was before. Like the red on that car, though I don't mind a brighter lighter red either.
    That is just a spectacular looking car! Now you can test the "Arrest me red" theory!
  • Options

I spotted this about ten minutes after he posted it. And he actually posted his (gasp!) phone number unlike
    95% of the other ads. You can't believe how many ads I responded to through emails and how few people responded back to me! I would think maybe some of these cars had sold but not many since I kept refreshing my search.

The Explorer is very unusual. The owner was anal in his care and there is an inch thick folder of receipts. Anything the Ford Dealership suggested was done ahead of schedule. Synthetic oil etc. It is immaculate inside

Any suggestions on how I can remove the dark tint on the front two windows? I'll admit it looks cool for on dark rainy days tint REALLY cuts down on the visability. Besides, cops hate dark tint and this is so dark it
    may be illegal.

That is one of the cleanest Explorers of that generation I've ever seen. I would have to probably go into the Carolinas or farther south to find one that like that condition wise, most cars of that age here are ravaged by road salt.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options

Detail

Dang, now I gotta go wash mine.

I still can't believe the deal you got on that Cobra.

I just read that the Mustang is the world's best selling car. Wonder if that's accurate.
    The Mustang definitely seems to generate the most Youtube "FAIL" videos.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    driver100 said:

Pen you probably missed my review of an X.1 rental I had when my 2015 E.400 got totalled. I loved it especially after I had to take back a Fusion that kept stalling out and a Chrysler 300 that wanted to steer itself. Lots of fun, but just me, I like the spaciousness and layout of the A.4 more - though both are fun cars to drive. With so few miles on it, the A.4 might be worth buying back???

I test drove one a little while back after seeing an X1 demo for sale. The demo was sold by the time I got there but the salesman was accommodating and I test drove a new 2017. I agree with the fun factor and it was roomier than expected. I know I've seen a few people with X1's in their signature and when they have come up in conversation I haven't heard anyone say they didn't like it; in fact most everyone seems to rave about them.

As for buying the car I've thought of it but the factory warranty runs out in April 2018 and I have only 1 more service remaining on my Audi Care from lease inception, which would be done in October should I keep it. I previously owned a B5 A4 that wasn't in warranty and I was forced to get ride of it because of the repair bills. On top of that I think I'm ready for a change in vehicle, if not brand.

• Options
    jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989

may be illegal.

Good luck with it. It looks very nice. That is low miles for it's age and should last a non-rubber burner a long time.

As for the asking price thingy; if an add on Craig's list can't give another Craig a good deal, I guess you would have had to resort to the despised grinder approach. B)

A 1K mile report is expected before the end of the year.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• Options
    bwia said:

Definitely would create a bias of good moods and goodwill towards making the review more friendly than would otherwise occur.

I'm more worried with the less reputable car-makers that they'd give the test car extra quality control to make sure it doesn't have defects out of the factory, but the ones you buy are full of problems and defects. The test car should not be a pre-selected "ringer."
  • Options
    pensfan83 said:

driver100 said:

I test drove one a little while back after seeing an X1 demo for sale. The demo was sold by the time I got there but the salesman was accommodating and I test drove a new 2017. I agree with the fun factor and it was roomier than expected. I know I've seen a few people with X1's in their signature and when they have come up in conversation I haven't heard anyone say they didn't like it; in fact most everyone seems to rave about them.

As for buying the car I've thought of it but the factory warranty runs out in April 2018 and I have only 1 more service remaining on my Audi Care from lease inception, which would be done in October should I keep it. I previously owned a B5 A4 that wasn't in warranty and I was forced to get ride of it because of the repair bills. On top of that I think I'm ready for a change in vehicle, if not brand.

Has your '14 A4 given you any issues? I would have kept my '14 S4 if not for the errant RX350 driver crashing into it; ruining it forever-after with CA body-shop quality repairs (quality being a misnomer).

These later B8.5 ('13-15' A4/S4's seem to be part of the propulsion behind Audi's meteoric rise in Consumer Reports reliability studies.
  • Options

may be illegal.

Boy that's a beautiful SUV. Extremely clean. That's the kind of owner you want to deal with. All repair records are a big plus. I agree, a phone number is a big plus. And he didn't conceal his license plate either. Nothing to hide.

What engine does it have...the 3.5L?

How aggressively did you grind on price? Hope you didn't use your Jedi car salesman mind tricks on the poor guy.

• Options
    Congrats. Seats look amazingly fresh, it has to have been recovered, right? Katzkin or similar?

• Options
    stickguy said:

Well, in real life, cars are often great on a test drive. But after you live with it for a while, flaws appear.

Depends on your frame of reference. The experiences you've had to shape your world view.

Once you've driven a 200+ HP 3,300 lb car around, you'll notice it when the engine is only giving you 175 HP and/or the weight is significantly higher.

During test drives, I noticed the turbo lag in the T5 Volvos and 2.0T Saabs was a lot more prominent in 2006 than in the Audi A3.

The Kia's base sound system makes itself known as it is noticeably mediocre, a bad thing (but your right, I didn't test that on the test drive).

I think I should take a checklist with me on test drives since I'm so forgetful!
  • Options

may be illegal.

Boy that's a beautiful SUV. Extremely clean. That's the kind of owner you want to deal with. All repair records are a big plus. I agree, a phone number is a big plus. And he didn't conceal his license plate either. Nothing to hide.

How aggressively did you grind on price? Hope you didn't use your Jedi car salesman mind tricks on the poor guy.
    I ended up giving him 4200.00 for it. If I get tired of it after a couple of years I might lose a grand I figure.

Does anyone know why people conceal their license plates? I don't get it!
  • Options
    fintail said:

Congrats. Seats look amazingly fresh, it has to have been recovered, right? Katzkin or similar?

Before I forget, it has the 4.0 engine.

The sellers dad bought it new in Seattle and had them install Katzkin leather at that time. Our store used
    Katzkin too. They charge a lot but they do a good job.
  • Options

driver100 said:

nyccarguy said:

It probably would be cheaper to fly him and his family down to Florida to fix it than that first con man. I'd report him to whatever licensing agencies they have down there.

Yeh, $8000 for some drywall seems a bit excessive. You should see the papers you have to sign.....plus an open credit card, not someone I would trust. And he writes in this pompous tone like he is the best reconstruction guy in the world.

The plumber was fast and reasonable....This reconstruction expert was his suggestion, will definitely tell him I wasn't impressed with his selection. In fact, we were going to have the plumber replace the toilet and sink, but because of this will use someone else.

• Options
    Question for the Brain Trust.

Still missing my CD player in the new Civic and have somehow managed to burn a few CD's onto a thumb drive.

Do they sell pre recorded thumb drives? If a person is into music from the 70's or is a Rolling Stones fan can they purchase a thumb drive already pre loaded with music?
  • Options

Beautiful.....you can tell it was lovingly cared for. He took a lot of pride in that car and he took all those pictures because he loved it.....and, no palm trees in the background. Looks like a great buy.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,380

Still missing my CD player in the new Civic and have somehow managed to burn a few CD's onto a thumb drive.

Do they sell pre recorded thumb drives? If a person is into music from the 70's or is a Rolling Stones fan can they purchase a thumb drive already pre loaded with music?

No pre-recorded thumb drives, to my knowledge. Gotta load your own music onto them.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options

Not to my knowledge. You have given me an idea for a way to earn big money from home in my retirement though. ;)

• Options

I understand, it is nice to get something different. One thing I find, BMW and Mercedes feel more solid and refined than an Audi. It is part of the Audi charm though.

• Options
    andres3 said:

Has your '14 A4 given you any issues? I would have kept my '14 S4 if not for the errant RX350 driver crashing into it; ruining it forever-after with CA body-shop quality repairs (quality being a misnomer).

These later B8.5 ('13-15' A4/S4's seem to be part of the propulsion behind Audi's meteoric rise in Consumer Reports reliability studies.

No issues whatsoever aside from a few minor recalls, which were taken care of during a state inspection or service appointment. The car has been flawless and the only thing I have paid for out of pocket was a new set of Continental Sport Contacts earlier in the year. In actuality my current and past 2 cars dating back to 2005 were all flawless now that I think about it. The only required maintenance, outside of tires/oil changes/filters, was a set of front brakes for my Mazda 6.

Ironically one of the brands (Jeep) I'm considering as a replacement is at the opposite end of that spectrum I believe.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    ab348 said:

Not to my knowledge. You have given me an idea for a way to earn big money from home in my retirement though. ;)
    I have about 12 hours of mostly 1960 music on my USB stick, will make copies for $20 each. :p

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

What a rat. And a '75 to boot. Might be good for some parts.
  • Options
    Michaell said:

No pre-recorded thumb drives, to my knowledge. Gotta load your own music onto them.
    Thanks! It seems there would be a market for them!
  • Options

may be illegal.

I ended up giving him 4200.00 for it. If I get tired of it after a couple of years I might lose a grand I figure.

Not bad. In my area they ask $5-6k for not as good.

I always figure that plate hiders are trying to hide that they are not the owner listed on the title. Of course it could just be someone afraid that an axe murder will find their address and come over to chop.

A 4.0? Old reliable technology. From what I've read about them you should get another 200k miles out of it.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,955

may be illegal.

Not bad. In my area they ask $5-6k for not as good.

I always figure that plate hiders are trying to hide that they are not the owner listed on the title. Of course it could just be someone afraid that an axe murder will find their address and come over to chop.

A 4.0? Old reliable technology. From what I've read about them you should get another 200k miles out of it.

The bottom end? Maybe. Gonna need a great deal of maintenance and other repairs to get there, though.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S