Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hummer H2

Comments

• Options
    h1vch1vc Member Posts: 295
    From automobile mag, not online yet. I hope the "bigger message" is good news for the H1!

That same GM official says that the SEMA show will witness a "bigger message" than just a concept idea for the H3. The news has nothing to do with the H4, but with the future of the H1 and the H2.
  • Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I noticed that there were surprisingly few H2s on the island? I thought there would be a lot. There was only one that I saw, and it didn't have beach permits...making me think there may be restrictions on weight and track width that would preclude the H2 from getting around? There is a weight limit of around 6500lbs, however they don't stop Expeditions, Excursions, Tahoes, Suburbans, etc.?

It may be nothing, but I was quite surprised to not see more of them? Then again while designed as a super offroader, it may not be as good to haul 4 people, chairs, beach tents, fishing poles, etc around as a standard SUV so maybe people just don't have/use them there?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "No. 1 automaker offers $2,000 in incentives as it faces 91-day inventory on large SUV."

GM moves to clear out Hummer stocks (CNN Money)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    klaudnycklaudnyc Member Posts: 36
    I'm beginning to think the Hummer H2 is the vehicular version of the Harley
    Davidson - it lacks any good technology or performance, and is just marketed
    on it's girth and reputation.

Am I alone?
  • Options
    Surely it's not as loud as a Hog? Someone call the decibel cops please....

Steve, Host
  • Options
    kram18kram18 Member Posts: 45
    Have you actually driven one of these off-road? I don't actually own one but thanks to my brother working for a hummer dealership I got to beat the heck out of a brand new H2 where it belongs in the back country, and let me tell you if you think these things don't have any performance man are you dead wrong. In addition to performing like a dream offroad the technology that makes it so fine offroad is very advanced everything down to the electronic locking rear differential. Not too many trucks these days with OEM lockers (I think the mercedes benz g500 is the only other these days). Now if you are talking about onroad performance I wholeheartedly agree with you they are pretty dismal onroad, but that's not where they were intended to be used they were designed from the ground up to be extremely well performing offroaders.
  • Options
    thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    The G500 was the first 4x4 with three locking differentials, the H2 only has two locking differentials and locking hubs for the front, I believe the H1 only has a center locking differential with limited slip differentials for front and rear with locking hubs.
  • Options
    Not to get too off track but the H1 in 2003 came with an optional E-Locker in the rear and there is speculation that in 2004 the H1 will have an optional one up front too. The H1 didn't really need lockers though with the TT4 (torque trac 4 system). Getting back to the H2 track I was very very skeptical about their offroad ability, but like I said after beating the heck out of one in backcountry and getting a chance to take an H1 at the same time in the same places generated some respect from me for the H2. Just hope the upcomming H3 is just as capable with better onroad behavior (like better MPG).
  • Options
    Front locker for the 2004 is a fact, your bro should know. ANd yes the H1 need lockers. The early TT4 trucks were not very good off road, they got better when they got higher torque biasing diffs but still wern't great. NOw with front and rear lockers they should be just as good or even better offroad than the original BTM trucks.
  • Options
    Just talk to my brother who got back from hummer school out in south bend last night. He said that the front locker is confirmed as well as a beefier diesel engine for the H1. As for he H1 needing lockers, when I took a brand new H2 offroad I also took a 2000 H1 Pickup. While I could see how a locker would help the truck it certainly wasn't lacking of offroad skills without lockers, the TT4 system did a fine job even with 1 or 2 tires off the ground....
  • Options
    terrafirmaterrafirma Member Posts: 212
    No, they aren't all that off-road either.

The H1 was designed for off road. The H2 is based on the Tahoe
  • Options
    Yes power will be 205 @3400 and torque is 440 at 1800.

What exactly did you do offroad? Many previous BTM now TT4 owners say the first version of TT4 is bad on rocks. It would have a hard time getting up them and then at the top it suddenly surge over them. On the upside, all TT4s are better than BTM on steep loose terrain.
  • Options
    blockislandguyblockislandguy Member Posts: 336
    KlaudeNYC, that's a nicely put observation. And like anything else that's sold on smoke and mirrors with little underlying substance, there will come a time when this now longer is IT. (Kind of like what happened to Izod alligator golf shirts back in the mid-60's.)
  • Options
    ajvdhajvdh Member Posts: 223
  • Options
    If you don't know what you are doing offroad you can break any rig no matter how strong, if this guy took offroad 101 he could have avoided this.... (look how fast he was spining that front tire wouldn't surprise me if he was in 4-hi not even locked 4-hi)
  • Options
    Perhaps the torsen differential caused the issue (which are used in the H2)? It is designed to automatically lock up both wheels in low traction, however when one wheel has zero traction it doesn't work (this is what I read on howstuffworks.com). Perhaps he was spinning so fast and then when some traction was acheived it locked up the axle and broke something?

Bummer nonetheless.
  • Options
    He snapped a tie rod, not an axle or part of the drivetrain. Even if he was in some other range than low/locked (and I don't think that's the case - listen to the engine note before he gets hung up, and look at how the rear wheels spin as the back end slews around), I don't see how that changes that the steering gear *broke*. Sounds to me like it wasn't rugged enough for rock-crawling.

What could he have done differently, besides not taking that trail in the first place, or using a more appropriate tool (like a Jeep Rubicon or a Unimog)?
  • Options
    He could have followed the number one rule in rock crawling, keep it slow. Just because one can afford a new H2 doesn't mean they have the knowledge to use it right. I bet you put a Rubicon in the same situation and they would break something too. You obviously have a Jeep agenda so this discussion is pretty pointless but comparing a rubicon with a unimog is just laughable and I am sure your Jeep buddies would agree with that one.
  • Options
    He could have followed the number one rule in rock crawling, keep it slow

He was at almost a dead stop. How much slower can he go?

You obviously have a Jeep agenda

Being amused by overhyped vehicles that don't have the ability to back up their image (that "Harley" factor) is the same thing as a pro-Jeep "agenda"? News to me.

BTW, the guy who sent me the link just came back from taking his bone-stock Wrangler (not even a Rubicon) over worse stuff than that without breaking anything.

comparing a rubicon with a unimog is just laughable

Where did I do *that*? Hint: listing them in the same sentence doesn't constitute a comparison.
  • Options
    He obviously was trying to keep it slow by gunning it and spinning his tires right?(I still think he was in 4-high unlocked). I just disagree with you that this was the trucks fault and not the drivers. No truck can make up for a stupid driver thats all I am trying to say and if you disagree thats your opinion. I agree with you that Jeeps are capable but if this guy was in a jeep he'd break something too, and if your buddy who did the harder path in his stock jeep did it in an H2 he'd make it through w/o breaking anything since he probably has atleast some offroad experience. Show me an experienced offroad driver breaking an H2 and I might agree with you. Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If you've recently bought or are shopping for a used domestic vehicle, a reporter working on a front page story for a major midwestern newspaper is hoping to talk with you asap. Please respond with your daytime contact info by 5pm Eastern Tuesday, September 30 to jfallon@edmunds.com. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    lol, any Hummer owners who bought used? I really think Kirstie is just trying to change the subject from Hummer bashing in here.

I did enjoy the Harley comment :-)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    If it includes the original Hummers, then yes, lots of them.
  • Options
    Hummer is going to be getting lots of free publicity in the coming months!

And if you are standing in line at the polls with your wireless laptop reading Town Hall, forget I said anything,

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Hopefully he'll terminate those that burned the Hummer dealer!
  • Options
    highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    kram18 you are right. ALL vehicles could be broken by either the terrain or the driver.

steve: yes, you are right, we will get a lot of free Hummer publicity, specially the "Terminator" editions. I just voted at 7pm Pacific time. Am happy for now , but we will see what Gov. Arnie can do....?!
  • Options
    He'll have his work cut out for him, but hopefully things will turn around. Boise is big enough; we don't need a whole lot more California companies defecting to Idaho ;-)

Sung to the tune of "Stomping in my Air Force Ones," LeBron James' shoes modeled after Hummer (Ledger-Enquirer)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    discofeverdiscofever Member Posts: 34
    Hi all, I have a Valentine 1 Radar Detector which I would like to hard wire in my H2. I wish to hard wire to a non-constant (non-hot wire) that will allow my Valentine 1 to turn-on when the ignition is started.

Would anyone know which wire is easy accessible to tap into. I checked the fuse box and all are hot.

Thank you for your consideration and response
  • Options
    The non contant wire in the fuse box is the dark brown for those who wish to know.
  • Options
    I realize you asked about a locking gas cap quite a while ago... If you haven't purchased one, you may wish to look into this one!

http://fueldoors.com/
    This one is called Pro-Fit (I think the nick name is "Profit") Anyway it a super nice electric fuel door! a better picture is at: http://www.adventureaccessories.com/accessory.pages/remote.fueldo- or.html
  • Options
    steveuk1steveuk1 Member Posts: 4
    Can anybody help I am looking to import a hummer H2 into the United Kingdom what is the difference from a 2003 model to a 2004 one I can't get brochures here so if any body can send me one I WOULD BE HAPPY TO PAY THE POSTAGE VIA PAYPAL
    Thanks
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    There's practically no difference. From our review: "New rubber floor mats and an optional integrated CD player/navigation system are the only changes this year."

You can read the full review here: Editor's Review

tidester, host
  • Options
    gadkins1gadkins1 Member Posts: 29
    After much advance research, I couldn't resist taking a test drive in an H2 last evening. I have admired this vehicle from afar. Last year, I ended a lease on a 2000 Ford Excursion with powerstroke diesel. The transmission had to be replaced at 18000 ,miles but I didn't mind because the dealer replaced it under the 0-deductible new car warranty. I have waited for about a year and a half before jumping back on the big SUV band wagon but the H2 seems to keep calling my name. I entered this townhall hoping to get some kind advice on my pending purchase of the H2, but there seems to be a lot of rancor and vehicle bashing here. I have cut a good deal on the H2 and was surprised to learn that GM now offers many dealer installed options including: a supercharger that pushes horsepower to over 500; headers; performance exhaust; and some other performance items, all of which are covered by the new vehicle warranty. I have narrowed my choice of options and am now stuck on the simple choice of color (Black or Red). The H2 was surprisingly nimble and comfortable to drive. I'm not too concerned about the fuel mileage, although I was pleased to learn that I can use 87 octane (unless I get the supercharger). I will get the Lux package with optional air suspension, chrome wheels, wrap-around grille guard, entertainment package with twin TVs in the headrests, third row seat, external tire carrier and the performance exhaust. I don't like the wheat leather interior so my dealer will give you choice of interior leather reupholstering in any color. Could anyone give me some sincere advice on on road reliability or any major problems. I don't intend to do much, if any, offroading, just some occasional jaunts in the snow. I just like to know that fewer obstacles could prevent me from getting my kids to the hospital in an emergency and I like the security of a big seemingly well-built SUV. Thanks in advance for any info and God bless all of you.
  • Options
    Go for it! It lives true to its slogan "Like Nothing Else" The H2 also called me on several occasions... I would do it again... No issues with my 2003, although I have only had it 1 month to-day! I added new wheels, tires, DVD Headrest/monitors, Back-up camera, Outside tire mount, and few chrome hood handles, hood latches, but most importantly the PRO-FIT Stainless Pop-out Remote electric GAS CAP! It is Awesome! (ref. posting #511). Enjoy your new H2
  • Options
    Thank you for the info discofever...and for the great link to an accessories site. I see several must haves already. I will get that remote fuel filler door. By the way, can the hosts tell me how to filter this discussion thread to see the owner/purchaser suggestions and experiences without scrolling through all 515 posts? Thanks again!
  • Options
    No filter function here per se. Try the Search This Discussion box instead.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    H2 SUT at SEMA

Steve, Host
  • Options
    slackersslackers Member Posts: 77
    In the Seattle area, a dealer is quoting $2K below MSRP, as an "internet price". Is that decent pricing in this market ?
  • Options
    Most dealers in this area (Northeast) are quoting $3,000 below MSRP or right on the invoice price.
  • Options
    pemarshpemarsh Member Posts: 68
    Looks like this discussion board is done?? No posts for over two weeks.
  • Options
    Guess everyone fell asleep from all the turkey eating over the US Thanksgiving holiday.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    colorado1974colorado1974 Member Posts: 177
    do any of you know of a good place to get H2 accessories? I have an orange H2 I am thinking of dressing up.
  • Options
    pac5pac5 Member Posts: 1
    has anyone had brake problems with there H2 brakes, i have with only 600 miles on a 2004 model . id like to here if others are having same problems...
  • Options
    4x4bully14x4bully1 Member Posts: 8
    What's up with Hummer putting these two flimsy filler pieces below the head lights? I'd be willing to bet Hummer will sell a ton of these parts to a real off road enthusiast!
  • Options
    There is a white H2 in my building lot that just got black body side moldings. They cover the entire height of the door all the way to the front fender. Is this a dealer option or aftermarket? Does anyone have anything similar? I am wondering if the purpose is to protect the sides or actually change the color of the truck? From the side everything except the front fender is now black. Seems odd.
  • Options
    ppgnhoppgnho Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I would love to buy a new H2, but we continue to read reports of it having more defects on delivery than any other new vehicle according to the JD Powers survey data.

Would any of you who have had problems give us some feedback on what type of problems and how well were they fixed by the dealer? When did the problems occur at delivery or after how many miles.

Also those of you who have not had any problems give us some feedback also on what you like and how many miles you have on your vehicle.

Thanks
    ppgnho
  • Options
    mike3119mike3119 Member Posts: 1
    I took delivery of a 2004 H2 LUX December 23rd. I am very picky but have found absolutely no problems or issues with the H2. I am 100% satisfied.

Mike
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    One of the defects JD Power attributed to the Hummer was "lousy gas mileage". DUH!!! This is the problem I have with Power, C/R and all the other ratings companies. You have to read the fine print, and often you find that they will call something a defect, that I call common sense. Since almost every survey on the H2 came back with the Gas Mileage "defect", it scored very poorly. But it doesn't mean much to me. By the way, you'll get lousy mileage, so expect it.
  • Options
    What's the only thing missing from GM's Hummer H2 lineup? That is, other than its own TOW missile launcher? Hummer will address its shortcomings this February with a new "Victory Red" edition that includes a snazzy red paint job and a free mountain bike. The Victory Red H2 is based on the H2 Lux Series, adding chrome trim to the fuel door, hood latches and grabs, side steps and wheels. Standard on the special H2 are a sunroof, air suspension and on-board compressor and upgraded OnStar service, as well as a special Victory Red 27-speed Hummer mountain bike. Some 1,500 special editions will be built, and priced from $59,840. (Edmunds SUVs Newsletter).

Steve, Host
  • Options
    wdogwdog Member Posts: 21
    Test rode the H2. Now trying to talk myself out of buying it. What bothers me is the visibility and loss of space caused by the spare. Getting old and reaction times are slowing. Seems like a rear mount is worse for visibility. Mounting on top will cause even more anxiety then I have with my Nav when I got to use an indoor garage.

What got me to test it is the consumer reviews. Almost everyone who rated it seemed to really enjoy it. I can see that already. I wonder if a smaller, inflatable spare is available. Didn't notice on using a posted link. Maybe there will be changes next year.

I remember when Ford finally put the Explorer's spare where I think it belongs, under the car. Then Chevy and most of the others followed.