Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hummer H2

Comments

• Options
    marathimarathi Member Posts: 1
    How effective is this? Or is it just a marketing gimmick?
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    The Explorer never had a spare mounted inside the truck. The Bronco II, had it mounted outside, on the tailgate. I agree with you, an inside mount is unacceptable to me. Don't want it in there, don't want to sacrifice the space. Frankly, if the engineers can't do better than that, they haven't made a good truck IMO. That's one of the reasons I don't like the previous Cherokees and Grand Cherokees, and Blazers. To my knowledge, Ford has had them under the truck in all Explorers and Expeditions.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try an Advanced Search for posts like this one:

rbirns1 "Volvo XC90 SUV" Feb 1, 2003 2:50pm

Steve, Host
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    That spare takes up 25% of the cargo area in the H2. It's a big wheel. Unacceptable. Probably why they can't get it under the truck, but still, that's a real turn off for me. It would break the deal. I just don't want the tire in the passenger compartment, period.
  • Options
    h2fanh2fan Member Posts: 27
    I have seen many with the spare outside on the backside on the flip gate. Might obstruct the view but at least gives you ample space in the cargo area.
  • Options
    h2fanh2fan Member Posts: 27
    nvbanker writes:Frankly, if the engineers can't do better than that, they haven't made a good truck IMO.

Well, the H2 engineers have done an excellent job imho. How else would you get the ground clearance that H2 provides?
  • Options
    mwdreammwdream Member Posts: 91
    I thought the Envoy was nice until I got into one and was surrounded by plastic. Is the H2 the same way?

I think if I were spending that money on a monster SUV, I would be going with the Infiniti.
    GM doesn't get the word "luxury." I would also say anybody spending over $50k and not getting "luxury" is a fool. But the H2 screams, look at me, I think I'm cool in my bad GM.
  • Options
    bigfrogbigfrog Member Posts: 27
    you all know a hummer is just a gmc 1500 with a different bodey.
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    A reporter is trying to gauge public opinion of the Hummer. Please send your thoughts and daytime contact info to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, May 11, 2004.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
  • Options
    ceadsceads Member Posts: 24
    Where do i find the INSPECTION PLATE and what does it look like? is it hard to take out? and who much did it help/ CHRIS
  • Options
    I guess no one knows what an inspection plate is in here?

In the news, GM has bummer with Hummer (Oakland Tribune)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    superszingusasuperszingusa Member Posts: 1
    Very unhappy with Dream Vehicle, (Sold with loss)
    Dream is over, having hard time fitting to parking
    spaces, guzzels gas (wish had Diesel),
    no power, afraid to take it off road-to expensive body repairs. Rough and hard interior. Big sizing
    is not the answer here.
  • Options
    phkckphkck Member Posts: 185
    Read in the paper that sales are down 30% for Hummer last month while GM's truck sales overall were up 7%.
    I am toying with the idea of the Hummer, but hoping rebates will increase a bit more for the H2.
    superszingusa, how much of a loss did you take. A lightly used H2 may be the way for me to go.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A magazine reporter would like to talk with consumers who considered buying a Hummer but decided against it, or are thinking of getting rid of a Hummer they bought.
    Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime phone number and a few thoughts about Hummer by Monday, June 14, 2004.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    dbockdbock Member Posts: 5
    Just bought a new H2 '05 in stealth grey. I have to say that I have been eyeing this truck for years and finally got it. Was a car driver my whole life and find the ride great in this big truck. Really luxury and enjoying all the toys. Live in the city and even am able to parallel park. The thing that amazes me is that even after being out for a few years, when I drive I get so many stares, kids pointing and even grown men grabbing their cameras to take a picture. When I see a man walking with his wife and I have my wife in the passenger seat, I see them look and I know they are thinking to themself, damn I wish my wife would let me have that. It may not be practical, but if you love it, go for it. It is a lot of fun and I don't regret it at all. Surprised that I am even getting over 11 mpg....
  • Options
    cornellpinoycornellpinoy Member Posts: 196
    Congratulations on your H2! I attended GM's Auto Show in Motion over the summer and got to drive one through the off-road course and I was very impressed with it. Would love to have an H2 SUT in my driveway.
  • Options
    fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    You live in the city and own a H2?
  • Options
    Yes I live in the city, and it is not optimal for owning an H2, however I am having a house built in a rural area, which I will be moving to soon. Bought it now to take advantage of tax benefits that are ending.
  • Options
    THE HUMVEE GOES HYBRID (Military.com)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    I have '05 H2 and it has a long side vent mounted antenna. I have seen many H2s and many don't have this antenna. Not sure if it is rear windown integrated or a small one on the roof. I would really like to get rid of the side mounted one because it hits the garage roof and parking garages. Does anyone know about this? Looked everywhere and can't find anything on it. I know there is must be something since I see so many H2s without the big tall one off the side.
  • Options
    leanangleleanangle Member Posts: 1
    For those of you who own the H2 I was wondering if you could tell me a little bit about the life span and quality of the interior. My question is : Does the H2 have any interior rattle or creak's coming from the dash, seats, 3rd row seat etc etc...(is it a quite ride when there is no radio on and all windows rolled up?) I want to purchase an SUV, it is needed for my family and need the extra room and love the "get out of the way" look. =) I have researched for a looong time and have been disapointed with other SUV makers such as Escalade having brake problems, QX56 with braking and rattles from inside the interior, and the navigator with electrical problems, and the lexus gets outdated too quickly. What about the all mighty H2?? My MAIN CONCERN would be rattles and creaks from inside... Any of you encounter this???
  • Options
    Have had mine for a little over a month and I am impressed by the noise level. For a truck this big and non aerodynamic, the ride is smooth, quiet and haven't had wind noise problems at all. No rattles, but again mine is new
  • Options
    awchan13awchan13 Member Posts: 44
    The antenna was put on the vent spot for 2004 and 2005. the 2003 Models did not have that there. I believe it was because the 2004 and 2005 models had the Nav option with GPS etc... So they needed a better place for the antenna. Only 2003's have the normal side vents...

So far, no creeks or rattles here. I have 24000 miles on a 2003.
  • Options
    kacykkacyk Member Posts: 4
    The H2 is on a GM 2500 chasis (notice 8 lug wheels) with little overhang. Considering the lofty price of a GM 2500 SUV, the H2 is a bargain. As a "real" owner who has driven the beast for a year, I can honestly say it's been just as reliable as my '03 Denali. In fact, I like it better than anything I ever owned...and that's saying a lot. (Previous cars - BMW 740i Sport, BMW 540, Mercedes 560 SEL, Audi TT, Tundra, Discovery II, Porsche 356 Speedster, to name a few)
  • Options
    boommanboomman Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know the largest size tires you can put on a stock H2 with 17" wheels without any problems. I'm considering the Super Swamper SSR in size 35/12.50R17 or 37/12.50R17 but if anyone has had good experience with a particular tire I'd appreciate hearing from you. I'm looking for a pretty aggressive mud and snow tread that isn't too noisy on the street. Thanks!

By the way, I've had 4x4's all my driving life (35 yrs) including 2 Range Rovers and a Jeep and the H2 is the best by far!
  • Options
    awchan13awchan13 Member Posts: 44
    The 37" should fit just fine. Some people report that it rubs just a touch, but most say it's fine. The BFGoodrich MT's are also very popular.
  • Options
    boommanboomman Member Posts: 2
    Thanks awchan, I appreciate that!
  • Options
    gr8raidergr8raider Member Posts: 1
    But I sure wouldn’t mind having free run of a messy, slightly wooded bog in one for a few hours.
  • Options
    larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    I'd like owners of H2s to respond and I'm looking for 1 Logical Reason why ANY individual owner would possibly want to own a Hummer, other than these:

1. To get the stupid business expense credit.
    2. To advertise a business on the side of it.
    3. To do offroad tours as a part of a business.
    4. To keep at the hunting cabin for SERIOUS offroading.

I cannot imagine one reason why someone would want a Hummer as their "everyday drive vehicle" or just to have as a family hauler.

Everytime I see a woman driving one of those beasts I think, "why on Earth?" I cant see any scenario in which a married woman would choose this vehicle to drive, and a single woman ABSOLUTELY has no business buying or driving one.

Don't give me the "it's bigger and safer" argument either because there are smaller vehicles with better safety ratings. And big SUVs are notorious for rolling over, making them actually LESS SAFE than many smaller vehicles.

Can anyone educate me? Not trying to start a flame war, just trying to understand American society in 2005 so I can explain things to my kids. Thanks !!!
  • Options
    What does being a woman have to do with it? You think the hook and bullet crowd is an exclusive male fraternity or something?

This discussion is about the pros and cons of the vehicle. If you want to discuss whether people should drive an otherwise street-legal rig, try News & Views.

Or go browse the archived I don't like SUVs, why do you? board.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    .........and a single woman ABSOLUTELY has no business buying or driving one.

........Not trying to start a flame war..........

Two apparently irreconcilable statements.

It seems that you have an agenda somewhat different to your stated question.
  • Options
    dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    If you have to ask that you sound like you'd be more at home riding a Huffy, VW bug, or other non cool ride. P.S. I don't own one nor want one but they are cool.
  • Options
    hershers Member Posts: 1
    WHY,BECAUSE I CAN. AND I DO DRIVE IT EVERY DAY. AND YES I AM A SINGLE WOMAN.
  • Options
    No need to shout. :-)

Let's get back to the SUV and get away from characterizing individuals please.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    rencorenco Member Posts: 38
    Ok, I'm not really talking about the H2 but...

I've been into the HUMMER (no called H1) since I saw it around 1994. I like it because of its capabilities and its looks.

Does it great mileage, no, of course not, but both the H1 and H2 are comparable to other similiar sized vehicles.

Is it worse for the environment than a midsize SUV? Sure, but again its no worse than other vehicles in its class?

Safety, sure vehicles with higher center of gravities TYPICALLY have a higher tendency to rollover. BUT, one, the H1s width makes it exteremely stable even though it has a high center of gravity and two, rollover accidents are rare and deaths in a rollover accident is even more rare than a normal accident.

I'm into the H1 because ONLY because I like its looks and capabilities. I don't care if a vehicle is exclusive, the current status quo, or any other nonsense.

What I don't get is why the HUMMER brand gets all the bad attention, they're not any worse than their competitors.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    What I don't get is why the HUMMER brand gets all the bad attention ...

It might have something to do with its weight, size and horrible fuel economy.

they're not any worse than their competitors.

Who would that be? The Hummer is simply without peers in terms of its offroad capabilities. (BTW - does anyone offroad with theirs?)

tidester, host
  • Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I tend to agree with your question, but not your reasons. Personally I would get a tahoe and spend the extra money to add lift/offroad tires, etc and get better cabin space and family utility than buying an H2. The Tahoe shares most of its components with the GM 1500 and 2500 series trucks. From a capability standpoint I would think a slightly lifted tahoe with bigger tires would suffice and add value in other areas (plus look cool too).
  • Options
    rencorenco Member Posts: 38
    H1 competitor would be the G and previous Range Rover.

H2 would be other SUVs of similiar size.

The older H1s with 6.5T and 4 speed trannys average slightly over 12 mpg. The newer ones are high 12s to low 13s. The Optmizers are slightly over 13. Compare those numbers with other trucks with the 6.5T and you'll see the H1 get the same numbers.

I not really sure about the H2s since I don't really follow them, but from what I read in the past the first year H2s average about 12 the second years high 12 to 13. Compare the H2 to other vehicles of similiar size with similiar engines and you'll see the H2 is about the same.

Tahoe vs H2? I really can't say, I don't follow H2 closely.
  • Options
    Real life figures tend to be around 12-13mpg for a soft top H1, 9-10mpg for an H2.

There is no real competitor to the H1, but a small Unimog would come close. The Mercedes G Wagon and Range Rovers don't come close. That's not to say that they're not capable vehicles, just that they're very different to the H1.
  • Options
    fratboi77fratboi77 Member Posts: 2
    Let me throw my two cents into the ring.
    1. I do not live in the country
    2. I do not go off road
    3. I am 27 years old
    4. I do not care what you think

In 2003 I was talked out of buying a Hummer H2 and settled for an Eddie Bauer Expedition. To say that I have been unhappy since is a bit of an understatement. Now my Ford is almost out of warranty and I cannot get rid of it fast enough. I am going to FINALLY get my long awaited H2 next month. Every person I have talked to that owns one won't stop going on and on about how much they love it. And my local Hummer dealer knows me by name since I am always checking his inventory and drooling the whole time.

So to all of those that are offended :P

My Expedition only gets 13 mpg, and has for the past three years. So please, if you are going to try and scold me for my choice, make sure that you check you facts and don't just emotionally fly off the handle spouting half truths and flat out lies.

To everyone else, I will update when I get my truck and let you know how things go, but from what I have seen and heard I will not be disappointed.
  • Options
    How in the world did you let them talk you into a Expediton. :lemon: They aren't even close. That's like comparing a VW bug to a Cadilac. Your salesman must have won salesman of the year. :)
  • Options
    fratboi77fratboi77 Member Posts: 2
    Family talked me out of it, no way would I allow a sales person to do that to me :D . Although one of them did pose a good question that I would like to know the answer to.

Has anyone on here been the victim of any vandalism such as spray paint, keying, broken windows, etc. simply because they are driving an H2? I hope this is not something that will get much response, but I would really like to know.
  • Options
    iancariancar Member Posts: 31
    That is a easy question. Why not? Where can u find a better eye turner with that kind of money? Just like 300c, some people like to drive a "statement". What is the point of buying a luxury ride if others cant see you pay big bucks for it?Beside, 11 mpg seems ridiculous, but hey, if you can spend 50k for a car, you probably do not mind to pay extra 10k for gas in its useful life. Even if gas price at $3.50 per gallon, you can travel 31k miles with it. If that is recreational vehicle, that means 3 - 5 years of fun. With approximate "$2.00" per gallon now, you can top your enjoyment for 6 - 7 years. On the other hand, if you buy a corolla for 20k, let say you get 35 mpg, and you are prepared 4k for gas (H2 "gas vs. price" ratio applied). In the end, you only got 6 - 7 years of gas fund (with approximate 10k per year) like H2. So who cares about mileage? Americans never lost their senses on money. You can tell your sons, "Be proud to be an Amercian, because we are rich and smart"
  • Options
    there are two of them in my neighborhood and neither of them have had a problem except toe nose prints etc. and slobber on the paint :shades:
  • Options
    germancarfreakgermancarfreak Member Posts: 4
    Personally I think that hummer H2's are ugly wannabe scion xb on steroids!(cept the xb looks a whole hell of a lot better :P ) What really bugs me is that half the people who drive hummers don't use them for what they're made for (not that an H2 could handle anything serious ;) ). instead it's just used as a head turner.
  • Options
    I think the Hummer makes a great monster truck for driving over those over rated German junk.
  • Options
    Actually, just because it would seem that many H2s spend their time exclusively on the road, and that their owners seem overly focused on the 'bling' factor, it doesn't detract from the fact that the H2 is a very capable off road vehicle!
  • Options
    htwosrjunkhtwosrjunk Member Posts: 9
    First of all german cars are not over rated, in fact I think they're a little under rated or even underestimated. If you want an over rated car check out that new corvette, whats so good about it? :mad:
  • Options
    Ummm................we seem to be drifting from H²s?
  • Options
    htwosrjunkhtwosrjunk Member Posts: 9
    sorry, continue I'll be leaving now