Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hummer H2

Comments

• Options
    mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    No need to leave.........................you don't even have to like Hummers!
  • Options
    htwosrjunkhtwosrjunk Member Posts: 9
    So what do you guys like about the hummer. I guess I just have an issue with the newer generatinon of hummers. This is probably because I am a big fan of the H1 and didn't want hummers style to change very much. I always envisioned hummers as an outdoor woodsy go-anywhere vehicle, and I guess the H2 just doesn't have that affect on me. I'll stay and be nicer for sure. who knows maybe you guys can change my mind.
  • Options
    I can't help you there, as I drive an H1! I can't argue with anyone who criticizes the H² for the 'bling' factor, but I will defend it against any factual inaccuracies.

:--)
  • Options
    You drive an H1? thats cool. I was reading your note earlier in the discussion and I didn't realize that h1's got better gas mileage than H2's. I would expected it to be the opposite
  • Options
    It's a turbo diesel too, so as well as beating the H² on fuel mileage, it sounds cooler as well!

;--)
  • Options
    exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    Sales have been going down though, right?

And the engine could be more powerful, like 400hp or so more powerful, its a heavy SUV, its needs some more motivation.

To all h2 owners, remember this: your American H2 gets better emitions than a small car in China and many cars in Europe. Just tell that to thoase environmentalists.

And as for the whole oil thing, if we mined oil in Alaska, gas prices would be at least 40 cents lower since its so close to us and no one has an embargo on it, except the radical left who blocked the project.

How is the resale on these things?
  • Options
    A good way to get a handle on resale values is go on eBay and look at the completed auctions for the vehicle you're interested in. Then you can clearly see which vehicles actually sold, and at what price.
  • Options
    dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    :P What in its price range is better. Nothing. How about the new Z06, 500horsepower. There is nothing in its price range to compete. The key is price.
  • Options
    For one thing its half the price of the H1 and the second thing is its more civilized for the street and third thing is its price :shades:
  • Options
    Sorry, but I just can't imagine the kind of personality required to cross shop a Corvette with an H²! :confuse:
  • Options
    How come you need a huge SUV for the street? Oh yeah, you said price twice, although I can't argue with you on that one.
  • Options
    I don't mean to be the bad guy :( , but I did some quick research and found that in comparrisson to its competitors, the H2 wasn't exactly the cheepest. The chevy website wasn't very accurate so that might be wrong. But check it out:

H2: $53,280
    Suburban: $47,910?
    Excursion: $38,350
    Armada: $33,800.00
  • Options
    I don't think that the H2 has been marketed as a cheaper alternative to anything (except maybe the H1).
  • Options
    rencorenco Member Posts: 38
    The H2 is marketed as a offroad capable luxury SUV, none of those are in the same class. Compare it to the LR Discovery or LR3 and the Land Cruiser / LX 470
  • Options
    tiger10tiger10 Member Posts: 46
    Doesn't the H2 have a competitor other than the Toyota Land Cruiser? Suburban Armada etc. dont even have a chance against the Hummer. or how about the Cadillac Escalade or Escalade ESV?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    $126k lets you play:

The Ferrari of Off-Roaders (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    funpilotfunpilot Member Posts: 66
    The H3 forum is not active yet, so I came over here to see what you are talking about. From what I have read from other sites including those closely aligned with GMC, seems that the H3 is expected to relight a fire for both the Hummer brand and GMC. Other than being a little sluggish, it will be a very capable off road vehicle, politically correct in mpg and hopefully priced right. I expect it will stimulate more interest in the Hummer brand and lessen the reality of its negative image. I have a deposit on one.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is hoping to speak with anyone who recently discussed a trade-in at a Chevrolet, Buick, Pontiac, GMC, Saturn, Saab, Hummer, or Cadillac dealership. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by Tuesday, April 26, 2005 with your daytime contact info and any brief comments you care to share about your experience.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    shelly4shelly4 Member Posts: 3
    i am thinking of buing a h2, i currently own a 03 navigatior also owned2 other suvs prior to the gator.
    anyway, just wondering if there are any major problems with the h2?
    is there much difference with the gas consumption between the suvs?
    has anyone gone from a gator or anyother suv to h2 and if so, what do you think?
  • Options
    No real major problems that I'm aware of, though some people have had a few niggling ones. Probably no more than other makes. Fuel consumption will be in the 8 - 10 mpg range.

Most people don't buy an H2 because of its practicality or its off road ability, though both of these are good. They're mainly bought for reasons of style, appearance, image, etc. It's very rare to see an H2 in standard attire. The market for chrome and aluminum add ons is enormous. For many owners their H2 is as much a hobby as it is a vehicle, and to drive one is to make a definite statement.

Most owners didn't get one because they wanted the best SUV, they got one because they wanted an H2. None of this is necessarily a bad thing, but it is to indicate that an H2 isn't really a close match to anything else, except in its mechanical specifications.

I think you need an extended test drive to help you decide. I think it's one of those vehicles that either fits you like a glove, or it doesn't suit you at all.
  • Options
    how long have you had your h2?
    sounds like you like it.
    is there anywhere to check out more info about the h2 other than a dealership or the official website?
    have you been to any of the i think they are "off road parties" with your h2?
    it sounds and looks like fun!
    ok, i think that is enough ?s for you, sorrry!:)
  • Options
    Actually I have the 'other' Hummer and I've owned it since the beginning of the year.

Forum rules forbid me from directing you to another forum, but there are several dedicated H2 forums and message boards out there if you look.

Funny that you should ask about off road events, as I've just finished five hours of pressure washing and cleaning to get rid of the mud from last weekend. As part of their franchise agreement Hummer dealers are required to hold several off road promotional events each year for Hummer owners. When you become a Hummer owner you automatically get invited. Anyhow, last weekend's event was a mixture of everything. Deep mud, hill climbs and descents, wooded trails, a good mix of everything really and it was held on a several hundred acre equestrian farm. Everyone got tee shirts and there was an excellent barbecue lunch, all free of charge. In our group I was the only H1 in among thirty or so H2s, so I got to demonstrate some of the things an H1 can do that an H2 can't!

Off-roading is a lot of fun whatever vehicle you do it in (I also have a Wrangler), and the people that do it are generally pretty nice too.
  • Options
    "Other models showing notable improvements were the Hummer H2, the Kia Spectra and Scion xA."

Inside Line

Steve, Host
  • Options
    That event sounds like a ton of fun! I would love to do that! :) I saw a lot of the pics on line, my son was looking at them also, he got more of a charge out of it I think Where was the event held? Are you in the south? On the official site I only saw on driving school for the south. I know there are other events like you said thru the dealership.
    I did take one for 2 days, it was a nice ride, i was suprised that there is not a lot of tire noise, for the size of the tires. I heard that there were problems with the 03 and 04, have not heard of any with the o5, have you? I just do not want to be unhappy with a problem car, I am happy with my navigator and just do not want to make a mistake.
    did you take pics of your event?/ if you did you should post them! You have my sons favorite Hummer! :P
    ok, once again very chatty
    Shelly
  • Options
    colbylestercolbylester Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I've got a 2004 Hummer 2. It has the built in DVD navigation, but I don't have the software. Does anyone know what software is used in those things?

Thanks in advance,

clester
  • Options
    I think it's on CD from the dealer, though I think I'd also take a look on eBay.
  • Options
    00boxsters00boxsters Member Posts: 202
    I gather, from reading at a number of H2 websites, that performance mods including airfilter and intakes, computer programmers and exhausts are most popular. From a cosmetic perspective, chrome anything and dashboard additions as well as front/rear light protectors are most popular.

What have the H2 readers here found?
  • Options
    You can probably add a change of wheels and tires into that mix as well.
  • Options
    It would seem that once you look deeply into engine performance mods and additions it is wiser to stay stock all considered.
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks Steve, some good info there.
  • Options
    I guess that description can be applied to any vehicle with design features that are something other than utilitarian.

Perhaps the title should have been "Hummers, and all vehicles that don't meet with MY approval, are lame".
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I did some housecleaning and, btw, you are correct! :)

tidester, host
  • Options
    I didn't think it would take long. ;)

As an aside, I can understand someone wanting to post that their vehicle is better in some way than another, but I fail to see any point at all in making a post to say "All Glopmobiles suck!" or something similar (though my friends and I did used to say that sort of thing was I was about five! :blush: ).
  • Options
    Anyone see the new 2006. Exterior chrome caps with H2 embossed on black mirrors and 4 year warranty first things noticed.
  • Options
    jamessahaljamessahal Member Posts: 55
    Interested in the H2, how does the drive compare to something Japanese or European like the Murano or the X5?
  • Options
  • Options
    jamessahaljamessahal Member Posts: 55
    I bought to be cool!! Not the most pleasant of smells! Stick to fat SUVs HUMMER!!
  • Options
    'Hers' said she runs a Hummer "because she can". A perfectly valid argument which has nothing to do with fuel consumption.

You make assumptions about her financial situation (and her weekly mileage) with no facts on which to base them, followed by the supercilious statement "Personally, I'd rather be smart about my financial future than pretentious, but, it takes all kinds.". Is your financial acumen really so superior to hers, or could it be that she's actually been a little smarter than you about her financial future and doesn't even need to think about the cost of gas.

Of course, I could be wrong too (it has happened :) ), but I'm just trying to add a little balance to a post that appears to be putting someone down for the vehicle they drive..................and no, I don't drive one either.

I have to admit I'm a little curious as why you joined Edmunds today just to make your first posting a negative one? :confuse:
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I have to admit I'm a little curious

Wonder no more! Now back to our regularly scheduled program ... :)

tidester, host
  • Options
    It's like magic..............my curiosity's gone! ;)
  • Options
    The H2 drive is an entirely different experience, not suprisingly. I have not driven the Murano but the X5 is much smaller and 'tighter'. My last SUV before the H2 was an ML500. Oddly, the H2 corners about the same but is much smoother on the highway and hitting potholes in the city is much less jarring. The ML was quicker and seemed to stopped better, however.

The H2 feels like most GM products, perhaps related to their particular power steering setup.
  • Options
    dedomandedoman Member Posts: 24
    I dont know where these mileage reports are coming from, I have owned 2 H2's 03 and 04, both gave me at leaset 14.5 mpg... and that was city/highway. Granted Im not stepping on the gas constantly, but I would say im not babying it either.
    Just my 2 cents worth!*
  • Options
    They're coming from people I know that own H2s. City driving would always be in high single digits, off road would be low single digits, and highway could be up to 14mpg depending on speed. Only a sample of half a dozen or so, but remarkably consistant in their results.

If you averaged 14.5mpg that's the exception rather than the rule, and I could never recommend purchasing an H2 with the expectation of achieving that figure.

As they say in small print on the tv infomercials, "Results not typical". :shades:
  • Options
  • Options
    Thats a cute line... but actually these results are pretty typical from the 4 hummer owners I know and speak with on a regular basis....and I dont think you have to "recommend" purchasing to anyone when you are referring to mileage considerations on a Hummer. That will not be a need for the Hummer buyer, more of a fringe benefit. The Hummer buyer is looking for much more out of a vehicle than the mileage, I can assure you.
  • Options
    The Hummer buyer is looking for much more out of a vehicle than the mileage, I can assure you.

I think that's fairly obvious....................... and I also think we'll have to agree to differ on the matter of fuel consumption as our experiences seem so at odds with each other. However, the respondents to the first JD Powers survey on owner satisfaction to include the H2, put it firmly at the bottom of the list due to poor gas mileage.

The H2 does many things well, better than a lot owners are aware in fact, but being miserly with its fuel, especially when off road, is not one of them.
  • Options
    most of the people whinning about the mpg of a Hummer don't have the 65 or 70K to buy one and can only afford those 20K econo boxes and have to spend half of their burger flipping money on gas. The rest of us can afford a few bucks more to go in style. :P :shades:
  • Options
    most of the people whinning about the mpg of a Hummer don't have the 65 or 70K to buy one...............................

I think that most of the whining about any aspect of the H2 is made by non-owners. However, the respondents to the infamous JD Powers survey were definitely Hummer owners (albeit with unrealistic expectations)!
  • Options
    I think that most of the whining about any aspect of the H2 is made by non-owners.

Ahh... I would def. agree with you there! Has anyone stopped to think of how big this rig is??? and with that, should surely come some sense of reasonable expectation of mileage, lower than average that is... enough about that...
    I will get off the soap box now....

The rig is exceptional at so many other aspects of driving, ability and overall performance... its a nitch consumer.