Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Audi A4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    innocencekillsinnocencekills Member Posts: 21
    sounds logical, thanks
  • Options
    richzrichz Member Posts: 160
    Do you still want the certificate? If you do I'll need your e-mail address. It's probably best to just make it public in your town hall profile instead of posting it here.
  • Options
    I haven't heard much from anyone who has bought an '05 recently. I have found one on a dealer lot with the following:

1.8T AWD
    Metallic Paint
    Premium Package
    Audio Package
    Lighting Package
    Cold Weather Package
    17" Alloy Wheels w/ All season tires

MSRP 35,620 Invoice 33,081

I've done my research on the 04s so I knew what prices to expect, but what would be a good deal on an '05 with respect to invoice?
  • Options
    I'm closing on a '05 soon here's my deal

1.8T Quattro 6M (Black w/Ebony Leather)

Cold Weather/Premium/Ultrasport/Lighting/NYS Emissions

Sale Price: $33,799.00
    Tax: $2788.42
    Fees: $207.45
    Sub Total: $36,794.87
    Less Rebate: -$500.00
    Total Out of Pocket: $36,294.87

The sale price is $500.00 over invoice (his) and I mean to get that down to Edmunds number.

Fee Break Down

DMV Process Fee: $45.00
    Two Year Registration: $80.00
    NYS Inspection: $10.00
    Wax, Polish & Materials: $59.95
    NYS Tire Waste Mgt: $12.50

I also have an issue with the DMV Processing fee (seems high), the waxing part is going to have to go. Also need to check into this Tire waste management fee as well.

After talking with literally 8 or 9 dealers in the Northeast corridor I would say $500.00 over invoice is do-able. Provided you use some "skills".

Audi dealers (at least the one's I've dealt with, seem to be in no big hurry to sell cars.

Some will "move" on pricing some will just give you thier number and if you walk or don't call back they don't seem to mind.

Use the tips from Edmunds and set a wide area for shopping (I had to as there is only one dealer in my town).

Good Luck
  • Options
    ctorreyctorrey Member Posts: 64
    $500 over invoice isn't bad. I just leased the exact same car w/ the 3.0 engine and paid a little more than $500 over invoice. In my case, however, the dealer has to find the car and do a swap with another dealer, so I'm paying a little bit for the leg work.

I think you fees are in line with standard DMV/Registration costs. I wouldn't pay for the other nonsense, which amounts to dealer prep.

Enjoy!
  • Options
    1.8 A4's with the ultra sport package are few and the 3.0 is even fewer. But to me it really makes the car look sexy'er.
  • Options
    pedped Member Posts: 18
    I just picked up today an 04 w/metallic paint,premium,info audio, cold weather, & sport list 34,165 paid 30K even and it had 300 miles therefore it is certified to 100k bumper to bumper with a $50 deductible after 50K. Dealer is also redoing all the brakes at 50K before the free maintanence runs out. Newton Motorsports in Newton NJ. I think I got a great deal, don't see much different in the 05. In August they are coming out with the 2.0. Get an 04 and save. Good Luck.
  • Options
    kkchangkkchang Member Posts: 1
    Hi, can somebody send me the $500 certificate? I registered Audi site 2 days ago and got no certificate. I need it ASAP because I'm making an offer on Monday. Thanks! :)
  • Options
    ctorreyctorrey Member Posts: 64
    Just leased an '05 3.0q UltraSport sedan. Although the dealer has to find one and make a swap, we agreed on a selling price a little over invoice + $1k. Not too bad, but I was hoping to be a little closer to $500 over invoice. The dealer is a good guy and I didn't want to make a scene. What's a couple of hundred bucks on a $41k car? I'm looking forward to it, but coming from the awesome A6 4.2, it's alittle bit of a drop off (I moved to the city and need something a little smaller/practical). Car has (will have) the following opts:

UltraSport
    Premium
    Audio w/ XM
    Cold Weather
  • Options
    lauravenialauravenia Member Posts: 1
    WOULD YOU MIND ALSO CC A COPY OF THE CERTIFICATE TO ME, I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT
  • Options
    1) They have serial numbers on them. Whether or not that means two people can't use the same one I don't know.

2) They expire 30Sept2004
  • Options
    It seems that every dealer I go to is charging me a $160 DOC fee. Is this supposed to be included in the pre-tax price of the car and taxed? Tehy are adding it to the price of the car so I am being taxed on it. Also, what exactly is the DOC fee and is $160 too high?
  • Options
    pedped Member Posts: 18
    The "doc fee" is supposed to be for the running around they do to get the plates and misc. paperwork that they do. It is a taxable service.
    Good Luck! If you were buying a Chevy Cavalier and threatened to walk out of the showroom they would lower the price of the car but still put the doc fee in the contract.
  • Options
    So I am about to buy an 05 A4 1.8T and am pondering which dealer to buy it from. I can probably get the exact same deal from both dealers. The one dealer is 3 miles from my house whereas the other is 100 miles away where another member of my family bought his A6.

I want to buy from the dealer 100 miles away because I can probably get $100 less and prefer to give him the business, but will it make a difference if I go to service my car at my local Audi dealer? My main concern is whether or not I will get the loaner cars from teh dealer when I drop my car off for service.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 239,276
    I'd buy next door... Unless they have done something so egregious, that you just can't stand to do business with them... For $100, I'd like to have the leverage of being their new car customer, when it comes to service..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I would have to agree. I was in a similar position.

Probelm is the local dealer already knows you might buy from some one else and I had the sales manager make it quite clear to me that in such event I would not get "priority service".

Did that bother me, not really, but $100.00 on a $35K car is not really all that much. $500 to $1,000.00 however is an entirely different matter.
  • Options
    I just sealed the deal on an '05 A4 1.8T with the following:

Silver w/ ebony interior
    Premium Package
    Cold Weather Package
    Lighting Package
    Bose Audio w/ XM
    17" alloy wheels

Price:
    $34,200 sale price
    +$160 doc fee
    +$2061.60 sales tax
    +$15 title
    +$8 plate transfer
    ----------------------
    $36,444.60 out the door price.

I think I did pretty well considering the fact that my dealer had to get this car from out of town. Makes it even better w/ the $500 race to audi days certificate :).

What do you guys think?
  • Options
    $700.00 is a big difference. Yes for that money I would've done the same thing.

But with me it literally was $135.00 difference and I was not as close as you are to the other dealer so I stayed local.

Good work.
  • Options
    6 speed manual or 5 Speed automatic transmission w/tipronic?
  • Options
    Oops, 5 speed auto w/ tiptronic.
  • Options
    I'm sure you ran the numbers comparing edmunds pricing and your sale price. Exactly what is a good deal really depends on the parties involved.

3 to 5 percent over the true invoice price of the car is resonable dealer profit.

What I'm trying to say is if you got the car you wanted at or near your target price. Then you did well for yourself.

Some people may pay a little more, some a little less. It's all relative.

Congrats on the new car. I can't wait to pick mind up (post #164). These cars a blast to drive. I'm actually looking foward to winter for a change.
  • Options
    topgun25topgun25 Member Posts: 5
    hi jeremy can u also send me the $500 audi coupon? thanx joel
  • Options
    Hey guys can someone please email me the $500 certificate im looking to buy an 04' A4 3.0 this week thanx.
        -joel
  • Options
    can u please email me the $500 certificate for the audi. thanx a million
  • Options
    bluedemon73bluedemon73 Member Posts: 4
    Can I get the $500 certificate too?
  • Options
    winnwellwinnwell Member Posts: 8
    Can someone email the $500 certificate to me as well, please? Thanks!
  • Options
    ajaxajax Member Posts: 9
    Hi,

Ask that manager to go on record regarding not getting priority service. All Audi owners should get the same level of service no matter where the car has been purchased in the united states.

The service department is seperate from the Sales and in all likelyhood,they would not even know when you came in and got out.

Hopefully you will be going to service once a year.
  • Options
    Haha, yeah that was just some BS about priority service because he was trying to get me to buy from him. Anyways I was supposed to pick up my car yesterday but the dealer didn't detail it even though he insisted it was detailed :(. He's going to have it really detailed this time so I can pick up my car tomorrow.
  • Options
    tgraysontgrayson Member Posts: 15
    I am negotiating for a 3.0...it is premium sound, cold weather, ultra sport...price 37,200...what do you think?
  • Options
    bluedemon73bluedemon73 Member Posts: 4
    Hey all,

I just came home tonight with a new 1.8 Cab

Here are the numbers:

spec: 2005 A4 1.8T;premium,lighting,audi package,heated seats. Amulet red

4yr lease/15k per year.
    $0 down
    $549.66 per month include 8.7% tax

I went to Sunset Imports in Beaverton OR
    It took 4 hrs to do the deal. I don't know why. I already agree on the price over the phone. It took them 4 hrs to do the paperwork and when I went to sign the deal, they only gave me a lease at 12k per year. I was furious. The finance guy was very rude and I was about to walk out on the deal. The manager finally came back and agree on the final deal. This is reinforce my negative view toward dealership. Overall, the sale guy was very nice....

Did I get a good deal?
  • Options
    warpackwarpack Member Posts: 5
    Could someone also send me the $500 certificate, please? Thanks!!
  • Options
    a4guya4guy Member Posts: 5
    Just signed for a 2005 A4 1.8T Quatro w/ Premium and Cold weather packages. Paid $1357 down (1st payment, NY Bank fee, and DMV and $389/month.

What's your thoughts on XM/Cirrus radio option? The dealer told me that it would add $375 to cap cost. When I told him I thought that it was 350, he said, oh ok, sure we'll do it for $350. Is there that much room on these seemingly "standard" options?
  • Options
    audifreak21audifreak21 Member Posts: 15
    I just took home a 2005 A4 1.8T 5-Speed Manual. Bose Audio, Premium Package and Sports Package. Car listed at $30,860. I got it for $29,700. The dealer offered me $500 above invoice at $30,200 and I laughed them out of the store. Then they came back and told me there is some BS "PDI" charge they have to pay to get the car ready after delivery. If you don't know what a PDI is it is a "Post Delivery Inspection" charge. All I had to do is tell them I was going to Volvo to look at the S40 and the guy was calling offering me more money off as soon as I got to the Volvo dealership. BTW, S40 is a great car. REALLY fast, but louder at speed and less refined than the A4...by far. But I am very happy with my purchase. I had a loaded '99 A4 1.8t with Quattro and my new A4 is so much more fun to drive. Since I live in Phoenix, AZ I never needed Quattro and I am glad I didn't not pay the premium for it again.
    Also, negotiate with the internet/fleet managers because they do everything over the computer and get past all of the BS the fastest. When I was talking to my guy at delivery he said he was on track to sell 125 cars this year. So he can afford to give better deals because he isn't "as" focused on his bottom line because he makes it up in volume. Also, the funny thing about looking up the actual invoice price on Edmunds.com and the invoice the dealer will admit to is night and day. That PDI charge is built in profit to assure they make money. Especially with a company like Audi that doesn't offer hold backs to their dealerships. Go for invoice, add $500 and that is the lowest the dealers will even think of going. In most cases add another $500 on top and you get what I paid. That is how it works.
  • Options
    richz,

Sorry to tell you Bud, but I got the identical car minus the lighting and cold weather package...mine had the sports package not just 17 inch wheels, for a sale price of $29,700. Did yours have an automatic with quattro?
  • Options
    cota99cota99 Member Posts: 28
    Hi, I am looking at the 1.8T with CVT (MSRP $27,000). The options I'd like are: lighting package (MSRP $950), premium package (MSRP $2000), wheel locks (MSRP $85). The invoice, including destination, is $28,880. What should I pay for this car? Is $500 over invoice feasible? I am in the Los Angeles area.

Oh, I am also cosidering a TSX. Thanks!
  • Options
    cota99,

My advise is $500 above invoice and then add another $500 for what Audi calls a "PDI" charge. Which is a Post Delivery Inspection charge. Then add $200-$500 on top of that and that is what they could consider $200-$500 above invoice. I just bought a 2005 1.8t 5-Speed that listed for $30,860. The true invoice was 28,486. I thought I would be able to get it for 28,946. I have been an Audi owner for 6 years and the lowest I could get was $29,700.

Also, the TSX is a peice of crap. I test drove that car twice before I bought my A4. The demo car was falling apart. I have read TSX owners write about 2nd rate build quality on the TSX model. That is why they can charge $4k less than an A4. Take my advise, get the A4. I am REALLY happy I did. The Audi's build quality is superior.
  • Options
    terri6105terri6105 Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to buy an A4 3.0 Quattro..just starting the process. Local dealer emailed today with info about Special Edition A4's coming soon. How does one get the invoice for this? Just want to make the best deal possible. Thanks for any info.
  • Options
    I just bought a 2005 A4 and didn't hear a peep about a Special Edition. I bet it's some ploy to get rid of the old body style as quickly as possible because the new 2005 with the revised styling and new engines is coming in a couple of months. I wouldn't fall for it.
    I would ask the Rep. to send you exact information about the Special Edition so you can compare it to the standard A4 on sale now. Let me know what you find!
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,300
    It's on the Audi website (www.audiusa.com) under Special Offers. Spoiler, power seats, 17" wheels, and sunroof are standard on the 1.8T models. More goodies on the V6.
  • Options
    Thanks audifreak21. It may come down to choosing a 3 series or the A4!
  • Options
    You know what is funny? I got a car with those same exact options and I was wondering why the spoiler wasn't an extra charge. I got mine for $29,700. But I don't have Xenon or the Cold Weather package.
  • Options
    I looked at the 3-Series and the A4. And here is what helped me decide on the A4.
    1) The A4 styling, with painted bumpers and dual exhaust, looks a lot better than the 3-Series. Also the front end on the non-coupe 3-Series is much more plain than the A4.
    2) A 3-Series optioned out the same as my A4 was $5,500 more. Yes! $5,500 more!
    3) The interior of the A4 is much more luxurious than the 3-Series.
    4) The front wheel drive makes the A4 safer than the 3-Series even if the performance isn't quite as good.
    5) Audi's warranty is just as good as the BMW, but the car costs less.
    6) The Audi was much less to insure than the BWM. And at $500 less a year that was important.
    7) The BMW dealer wouldn't deal as much as Audi.

All of those factors combined and the fact that the Audi was a really fun/luxurious car helped me decide on the A4. Also, the BMW residual value is only 1% higher than the A4.
  • Options
    Thanks for your input. I know you get more bang for your buck going with the A4. I'll have to test both cars first before making a final decision :).
  • Options
    a4guya4guy Member Posts: 5
    This so funny,

After I gave the $500 deposit on my A4 1.8T Automatic Quatro w/ Premium and Cold weather, I called to see if the car came in yet...the dealer told me that he couldn't get that exact car, so he got me one with some "extras" on it. This included a
    1. a rear spoiler
    2. 17 inch wheels
    3. powered passenger seat

all for the same price. Now is this the "special editions" you guys are talking about? Makes me wonder how much of a markup these guys are getting anyway for the "best price". I paid $1357 down (first payment, bank fee, and dmv) and $389/month. I've driven it for a week, and I am loving every minute of it.
  • Options
    bri1bri1 Member Posts: 1
    I leased '05 3.0 cvt special edition (sport and premium package combined) with bose xm audio pckg. 42 months, 3500 down, $400/mo. 18,000 miles/yr pumped up the cost. Vehicle was discounted $1600.00 off msrp, residual was 43% which was not great (miles miles!!!), but the money factor was .0008, which is about 1%. Started negotiating off of the $299 lease deal on the 1.8, which locked me in on good discounts and then pushed for similar savings on the loaded 3.0 model. Tt was an excellent experience at Champion Audi in West Palm Beach.
  • Options
    etaubetaub Member Posts: 4
    I leased a 2005 A4 1.8 last week. Paid $3,400 down, including 1st month, and $347/month plus tax. This is for the 42-month deal, w/15K miles, premium package, sport pkg, and xenon lights (wanted the xenons, and they all had the sport pkg).

For those looking to buy, I strongly suggest finding a dealer who has contracted w/Costco's buying service. Two dealers in L.A. who were affiliated w/Costco offered me any Audi for $500 over invoice. I've used Costco to buy my last 3 cars, so I know it's legit.
  • Options
    cargal2cargal2 Member Posts: 36
    Hi,

Sorry to intrude. I spent months trying to figure out which car would be best for my needs. Any case, Saturday evening, I traded my Saab and took home an Audi A4 Avant, 1.8T with cold weather and premium packages, along with 17 inch alloy wheels (no sports package). It's Atlas Grey with a grey interior. Very pretty.

Here's my worry: The MSRP of the vehicle was over $34,000 with the 2 packages, and the wheels. It is a 2004. The 2005s have come in.

I noticed someone who bought an Audi sedan in Newton, NJ for about $29,700 and it had different bells and whistles, but was certified.

They were originally asking over $32,000 (when someone called around this week for me), because the car had 6000 miles. I was told that it had been the manager's vehicle.

Usually, I'm more saavy, but someone else was buying me the car.

I know the $32+K price was the 2004 invoice price.

They dropped the price to 29,995, and threw in some all weather mats, wind-deflector, and something else.

When we were funneled over to the finance manager, we were told that an extended warranty was $4600, if we didn't take it that day (new car with less miles), otherwise, he'd drop it to $2,600, along with tire and rim insurance ($450), plus an extended maintenance plan, he was asking for $3,700 over the asking price.

In addition, I was only given $2,500 for my '98 Saab (99,000 miles, but it was in good shape).

Before I got the keys, I have learned enough to do a visual inspection of the car. As I walked around, I first noticed a gouge in the back bumper, and a deep, deep scratch in the front bumper.

I asked them, if they could certify the car to avoid paying for the additional warranties, and we were told, no, because the car was never "titled," so it was new.

I looked again, and noticed the black plastic grill on the right side was damaged.

They wouldn't take any more money off the car, or give me a break on the warranty, and we had been there for hours and hours.

I kept asking for the vehicle history report, but the salesman ended up overlooking giviing it to me.

They said, Monday, I should bring the car back, they'll make all the repairs, detail the car, and give me a loaner.

Today, I went to have a Firestone dealer do a quick inspection: he found a deep scratch in one of the rims.

Later, I turned on the car, and it's asking for "Service!"

I think something is really fishy here, and perhaps, I could have gotten a better deal elsewhere. I don't know, $2,000 off the invoice price of a car with 6000K, needing some bodywork, and asking for $3,700 in warranties just doesn't seem right.

No matter how saavy, you think you are, believe me, it's tough to find a dealer who is really honest, I would think.

Oh, I'm glad that I had since Saturday evening to think about it. The car's very nice, seats very firm, discreetly elegant, but I'm going to have to keep it for a very long time.

By this point, I think I should set aside the monies of the extended warranties, and use it for another car down the line, right?

Lastly. Would anyone know why the A4 Avant 1.8T only received a 4 out of 5 star rating?

Thanks alot!
  • Options
    waygrabowwaygrabow Member Posts: 214
    From your post, you appear to be a knowledgeable shopper. But I'll add a few comments. I bought three cars last year, and had a variety of experiences which taught me some lessons. (1) I am no fan of extended warranties. The "fine print" often can provide an out to the dealer for that expensive situation you thought was covered. Be wary when the price is good "today only"; they don't want you to have time to think it over. (2)"We had been there for hours and hours" was probably intentional. They want to wear you down. (3) If the vehicle history was good, they would have shown it to you early on. I doubt if it was accidently forgotten. (4) A dealer's new untitled car with only 6000 miles should not normally need body work. Perhaps the dealer's teenage son had it? Adults don't beat up a car they want to sell soon. (5) The best way to know if you are getting an excellent price is to check other sources. We went to two Audi dealers and checked the internet before buying. That is probably a minimum. We were treated decently by both dealers, but you need some basis for comparison, several sources competing.
  • Options
    motowneermotowneer Member Posts: 25
    It is, in my opinion, unwise to put ANY money down on a lease, particularly over $3,000. After all, the reason for leasing(at least the main reason) is no big down payment. You are simply giving the dealer a big chunk of profit on a car you're going to just walk away from at lease end. The only way to lease is sign and drive with as little as possible out of your pocket. You certainly don't need to build equity in a lease, but that'e what you do with a down payment. Now, I'll just go back to minding my own business.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,150
    No need to mind your own business! Edmunds.com also recommends putting down as little as possible on a lease. If the car is totaled or stolen, you've just lost your downpayment - the insurance goes directly (and only) to the dealer/manufacturer, not to you! Your loss would not be covered.

Think of it this way - would you put down a nonrefundable downpayment (not deposit, mind you) to rent an apartment for 3 years? What if you HAD to move, or the apartment building collapsed? Same thing :)

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews