Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Audi A4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 239,329
    You can probably get all those answers on the Lease Questions board...

But, I doubt the advertised deal is based on a selling price of MSRP... Usually, the advertised Audi deals use a price about $1K under MSRP for the selling price..

And, they don't use an APR.. on leases, it is a money factor.. and, the reason Audi doesn't tell you, is because dealers can and do "mark up" to a higher rate..

Once you know the money factor, multiply it by 2400 to get an equivalent APR.

Also, most advertised leases can be modified as to mileage, and options... A few rules of thumb..

1) 12K instead of 10K mileage? On the deal you are looking at, should add about $10/mo..

2) $zero down instead of $1999? add about $87/mo. on that deal.

3) MSRP higher? add about $11-$13/mo. for every $1000 increase.

Hope this helps,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    mcs19mcs19 Member Posts: 14
    Thank you. That is very helpful.
  • Options
    nyaudinyaudi Member Posts: 25
    Just leased a 3.0/man/coldpkg/boseXM/sportpkg blk on blk in mid-Dec and figured I'd share my experience.

Per some of the above discussion, the lease offer is great. Money factor conversion works out to about 0.6% APR. Nothing down other than bank fee, first month's payment, and tags/registration. You still have the purchase option at the end if you wish. Even if you plan to buy, it's not a bad way to go - keep your money invested elsewhere for now rather than tie it up in the car when Audi is loaning it for practically nothing. Of course you do have to factor in the lease fee in the analysis, but even if you include that as finance cost, you're still looking at < 2% total interest/fees amortized over the lease period. You can beat that in a CD! Plus, you have an easy out in 3 years should you choose to move on, and you're not out the sales tax on the full cost of the car. If you decide to buy, you probably still did better for the first 3 years than any car loan will give you.

Make sure to focus on the initial price - a lot of people don't talk about that here - don't pay MSRP on a lease just because the rate is good. I was able to get $1500 below MSRP; was about $500 below TMV on Edmunds' site. Seemed fair and reasonable. I had actually started looking for a used certified A4 with low miles - those prices were obscene. Haggled extensively at multiple dealers and never got the car cheap enough to reflect what should have been significant first year depreciation discounts. I was looking at buying one with ~20k miles. But if I looked at the cost now, vs. projected residual value after another 3 years/48k miles, the total loss in value was identical to the contract depreciation on a new 2005 lease, even after negotiating down the used price. This mean that I wasn't really going to save anything going used, other than longer warranty. Furthermore, the used car requires tying up all your cash; the new car lets you leave your money invested elsewhere, making it actually wind up cheaper assuming you can do better than 2% while you lease!

Anyway, the car is great - silky smooth, powerful low end, nice manual, dual-climate/htd seats are awesome, xenons are fantastic, dimming mirrors are so much better than my old car, love all the memory functions tied to the key remote, interior is total luxury and the styling is great. Things that suck are XM radio quality is pathetic, BOSE stero is so-so for the cost, and armrest could be better designed. If those are the biggest gripes I ever have, I'll be very happy :-)

Thought about waiting for the 2006 redesign but sounds like no manual on initial models and don't like the styling as much. I suspect they will go for more money as well, and Audi won't be giving them out at 0.6% equivalent.
  • Options
    ctorreyctorrey Member Posts: 64
    I leased an '05 A3 3.0 6M USP with ALL options (excpet NAV & prem leather) and I negotiated a $37,500 cap cost. Also, the car was not in stock and the dealer had to find it (which usually means a smaller discount). I think you can do better than $35,800. You should be $500-$750 over invoice.
  • Options
    fishgreg1fishgreg1 Member Posts: 10
    Does this seem like a good deal on a A4 Quat 3.0 Automatic, MSRP $38,560? Dealer is selling for $36,040, which is supposively $150 over invoice. Lease would be for 36 months 15k miles a year, $800 down for $492.25.

Could also lease a A4 Quat 1.8 Auto SE for 24 months at $427 with $800 down, 15k miles a year. Supposively this car is $150 over invoice too. My wife and I really like the 3.0 better though. Appreciate all thoughs of the deals and also on both of the cars. Thanks.
  • Options
    rjorge3rjorge3 Member Posts: 144
    Hi there UPNDWN, I negociated my lease back in December: 2005 A4 1.8, 6M, SE with Cold Weather package. My dealer did not have the car in their lot with the color I wanted at the time, but they told me that they would get it for me.

It took them almost 1 month to locate the car and I had to give up my preference in the interior (I wanted Silver ext with Silver Leather interior). I had to chose the Silver Ext with Black interior. So to answer your question, if what you are looking for is very specific, you might have a hard time getting exactly what you want (especially Special Edition package).

If you are flexible, I think that you will find even better deals than the one I got (and I got a pretty good one: 42Months lease, $1,309 total inception cost, 10K, maintanance included, and the monthly pmt is $350 New Jersey taxes included.)

Good luck and keep us posted as to what you find.

R
  • Options
    iwantana4iwantana4 Member Posts: 2
    Can I ask why everybody is leasing? yes, i think it is a dumb question but.. is it a bad idea to purchase the car (as in not leasing)? hmm... makes me wonder why everybody leases..

Anyways.. the car

05 A4 1.8T Sedan cvt fwd Special Ediotion

Sticker price: 29,500~

How much should i buy it for? I don't think i'm going to lease.. does that make a difference of monthly payment?

is 25K a workable price w/o dealer charges and tax? considereing i plan on purchasing it in feburary and the 2005.5 is coming in like march?
  • Options
    upndwnupndwn Member Posts: 44
    I am in the market too. The inventories are not that great and special editions are moving well. CVTs are more abundant than 6 speed Quattros, but watch carefully. Specific color choices in 6 speeds are already a problem. The launch of the new A4 has been moved up from 4/1 to 3/1.

Now leasing. Leasing provides a lower payment because you are paying only for the 1st, say 36 months of the car's life. At lease end, the off lease vehicle is bought or returned by the buyer. That is when the lessor realizes the balance of its investment. The lessee pays a finance charge during lease term to the lessor for the use of her $, until the car is returned. Leasing gets you into a new car, more often. If you are self employed there can be tax advantages. If you drive hard, you are out of the lease [hopefully] before the wear and tear catches up. Remember, Audis have free scheduled maintenance and the warranty period is longer than most lease periods in terms of months and miles. There is scant risk of a huge unforeseen expenses. The negative is, you will ALWAYS HAVE A PAYMENT!

Lease formulas, (see the most excellent lease forum for residuals and money factor info), are comprised of a depreciation payment, computed by subtracting the residual (a percentage of MSRP) from the negotiated sales price and, then dividing that by the number of months in the lease term. Another component is the finance charge which is calculated by multiplying the money factor by the sum of the sales price plus the residual value. Lastly, a monthly payment includes sales tax. In most places, it is your state's sales tax rate times the sum of the depreciation payment and the finance charge. Rare unfortunates, like those in Chicago, have to pay tax on the whole value of the car. This defeats the some of the point of leasing, that you are paying only for the value of the car that is consumed during the lease term.

Why are people leasing special editions? 1. Audi has made the car cheaper by selling options in the SE package for less than before the SE program. It is something like the wheel and tire package, premium package, and cold weather package for less than the premium package alone. 2. The money factor currently is the equivalent of 0.6 %. Yes, 6/10 of 1%. 3. SE packages have (artificially?) higher residuals, 56% compared to non-SE A4s which are 53%.

Vehicles have invoice prices, what the dealer pays, and MSRPs, what the maker recommends as a selling price. For a Saab, for example, MSRP may be a dream. Not Audis. The gap on A4s is about $2,000. There are other subtleties, but a dealer is unlikely to sell you a car she paid $27,500 for at $25,000. She would be losing $2,500. At some point JUST before or AFTER the new model arrives there may be a chance to get within say $200-$300 of invoice. To do better, Audi will have to subsidize the deals. Lease cash or rebates might be examples. However, I believe the A6 change over did not require this kind of sales support. Audi is adept at transition. Old A6s were gone for a time when the new A6s began to trickle in. Despite unfavorable financing and lease rates, (Audi and dealers gain at consumer expense), that are only starting to normalize now, New A6s were moving out at 100% of MSRP and beyond.

Read these boards carefully. They will save you money. Good luck.
  • Options
    Post 269 covers most of the points very well; I thought I'd elaborate because I was in your same position of contemplating a purchase.

Even if you think you will buy, a lease can make good sense. I was planning to pay cash for mine, until I saw the 0.6% APR. (they quote it in money factor which makes it a little confusing)

Keep in mind that you are always free to buy the car at the end if you still think it's worth the end of lease value when you get to that point. (if not, turn it in and then it's Audi's problem!) So you may want to let Audi give you the nearly free loan over the life of the lease, and then pay it off with a smaller loan/cash payment at the end if you really like it.

You mentioned you may buy the car - let me ask:

1. Are you borrowing from a bank? If so, are they charging you more than 0.6% interest? (probably yes!) In this case, I'd suggest doing the lease for the first 3 years. Then, decide if you still want it. If the car is still worth the residual value in the lease, pay it off then or get a loan to pay it off then.

2. Are you paying cash? If so, do you think you can earn more than 0.6% with your money? If so, then take the lease! Keep that money invested - even a super-conservative CD will pay far more than that these days! All the extra interest you earn while Audi subsidizes your lease is effectively reducing your cost on the car. Again, at the end of 3 years, make your decision; if you buy, great - keep all that extra interest/investment return you made the first 3 years.

The one simplification I have made here is there will be a fee that varies by state - that can serve to increase the cost of a lease incrementally. This may raise your effective cost to something like 1-1.5% equivalent. Basically calculate your total interest costs, add the lease fee, and call it all "finance charges" to make a fair comparison. Still dirt cheap, and probably more than offset by the tax savings.

The tax issue is very significant... you may well decide not to keep that car until it is worth $0. If you get rid of the car when it's still worth $20K, then you wasted sales tax on that $20K residual value. At 8% tax, you're talking $1600. On the other hand, with a lease, you never had to pay tax on the residual value. I bought my last car thinking I'd keep it for 5 years - after 2 1/2 I wanted something new. Unfortunately, I waasted the sales tax on the remaining $13000 worth of car (about $1000) because I purchased it.

Finally, keep in mind that if your mileage is way over the contract, or for whatever reason you don't want to turn the car in - no problems. Just buy it for the residual value just like you debated doing now. The people who get burned on leases are those that really can't afford their car in the first place, and the lease makes them think they can. And then they get nailed when they can't afford to buy it 3 years later. If you can already afford to purchase, then you're in great shape to take advantage of a lease.
  • Options
    PS - I didn't see things going that close to invoice unless they were unpopular packages / oddball combinations - seemed like lots of ultrasports were around so you can probably get a deal if you can handle the rough ride quality! S4s also seem to be great deals right now - lots of 2004s around still.

You should be able to get $1500-$2500 below retail easily enough.
  • Options
    innocencekillsinnocencekills Member Posts: 21
    Current loan rates (from Finanial Institutions like banks and Credit Unions) are as low as 3.79% on a loan 60 months or less. Actually ended up with 4.2% when I brought my Ultrasport last September.

Also where are these CD's that offer a rate of return (or APY) of 6%? The best I can find on a national average is less than 4.10% (60 to 84 months). Shorter terms have lower returns.

I would also question the wisdom in buying a car after the lease is up.

Seems counter intuitive since the initial car lease is based on MSRP (or working down from it) and buying it outright in the first place should be based on the invoice price of the car (and working up).

I would think that you'd be paying more for that car in the long run than if you just brought it in the first place.
  • Options
    1) Leasing isn't based upon the MSRP.. Only the residual value is based on that.. The purchase price is negotiated, just like buying..

2) Leasing vs. buying is mostly a "financing" decision.. If the leasing incentives are higher than the buying incentives, it is sometimes financially prudent to lease.

3) From a strictly monetary standpoint, and assuming there are no business tax issues, leasing vs. buying is a wash..

Usually on a lease you may save on sales tax.. there are exceptions (Illinois, Texas).. The downside: Acquisition fee ($500-$700). This negates the sales tax advantage somewhat..

3) If you are certain to keep a car 5 years or more, then you probably shouldn't be leasing anyway.

If people are happy buying and financing their cars, and never really considered leasing, or just don't understand it... they should probably avoid it.. It is a semi-sophisticated financial transaction, and shouldn't be entered into lightly... It MAY be advantageous for many people, but it takes some work and commitment to work out right...

I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone do it, if they are more comfortable with a traditional purchase.. Those are much simpler transactions. If you aren't sure if you should be leasing, then don't do it.

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Regarding where to get those 0.6% rates - You have to lease from Audi to get them. You're right that you won't get it from a bank, and that's why people are getting the dealer leases right now. Audi is likely doing this to make sure all the 2005 A4s move out.

The question to ask is why pay 3.8% if you can pay 0.6%? (for that matter, why pay cash?) And you're right, that if you are saddled with a 4% APR loan, then you are going to have a hard time beating that in anything that is a guaranteed return investment. But if your finance cost is 0.6%, which it is on a lease, then it's pretty easy to beat.

Whether you lease or buy, the price negotiation is no different - the residual is expressed as % of MSRP. Negotiating down from MSRP reduces your lease cost dollar-for-dollar just like a purchase. It won't make any difference to the dealer whether you call it a lease or loan.

As for whether you pay more, you'll pay a lot more for a car financed at 4% APR than at 0.6% APR.

A lease can in many ways be viewed as a loan where halfway through, you have an option to return the car at a pre-agreed to price and avoid paying sales tax on all the reamining value of the car. If you decide to buy it and keep it at the end of the lease, the price is just the leftover of the price you negotiated when you first setup the lease, minus what you paid over the lease.

Unfortunately a lot of misinformation gets out about leasing because many people who get into leasing do it to get a car they can't really afford and then it's a bad experience.
  • Options
    iwantana4iwantana4 Member Posts: 2
    thank you all for helping me out! got luck hunting your a4~
  • Options
    mdkappymdkappy Member Posts: 5
    It sounds like you got a great deal! I just negotiated a deal on a 3.0 Special Edition automatic with cold weather package that lists for $38,160 (no Bose). I got it for $490/mo; $1,404 down, 15K miles/year, 36 months. It seems that you got a better deal because you are only paying $800 down. I bought mine in Englewood, NJ, although I have yet to pick it up. If you are in the Northeast, please let me know where I can get that deal! I'd go with the A4 3.0 - much more pep than the 1.8T.
  • Options
    I am trying to avoid a super long post and still share what I have learned in the market.

I have a GTI scheduled to come off lease 5/1. I have watched this and other boards and expected to wait until April to choose a new vehicle. However, current A4 prices are too good to pass up. (See subsequent posts).

When I contacted VW about my early return I learned:

1. VW will wave the $350 disposition fee at lease end for non-buyers of the vehicle, since I am leasing and Audi - VW family product;

2. The lease agreement treats vehicles returned more than 90 days early differently. To protect the consumer, any vehicle returned earlier than 90 days does not pay additional lease charges (capital cost plus residual x money factor), but only depreciation. This is saving me another ~$150.

3. The vehicle will be auctioned. I am responsible for the lesser of a. the residual value less actual price realized at auction or b. the cost of over miles and damages appraised as over market value. Several weeks from now, I will be billed an amount equal to the depreciation charges remaining on my lease plus the lesser of the two numbers described above.

I am not expecting it, but if the price the car fetches at auction exceeds the residual price, then I am entitled to have that amount credited to against the depreciation charges I owe.
  • Options
    Sounds dicey.. no telling what that car will bring at auction.. you are leaving yourself open to thousands of dollars in charges.. multiple thousands... no cap to what you could owe..

It would be much safer to keep the car one more month, and just pay the last two payments...

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    sreulsreul Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I'm looking at leasing an 05 A4 1.8T(FWD), Ultrasport, Premium, Metallic Paint.

I'm in san diego area and wondering if anyone has experience with how close a4's should be to invoice at this point? Also, anyone know what the money factor would be on this car?
  • Options
    I have read and respected many of your posts KYFDX and thank you for replying.

I am not concerned because I am only paying about $700 for the remaining depreciation. I would have to face the over miles (there are none in my case) and any damage charges at lease end anyway. The auction information only applies to cars turned in more than 90 days before lease end and I was sharing the info for others.

I have returned 2 VWs before and they have been fair in assessing damage over reasonable wear and tear. They have never claimed that I had any.

It won't hurt that when I return this, my third, I'll still have a lease on another and have an new Audi in the driveway.

If the lease was more expensive, you would be absolutely right, it is almost always better to wait until lease end. I am forfeiting some miles and the GTI is a nice car. But, 6 sp Special Edition A4s are becoming rare and the lease deals are favorable. I believe that I am saving more than enough to offset the $700.

I'll try to find time to post the deal I made soon. Please look it over and let me know what you think.
  • Options
    Oh.. I agree, then.. I misread your post.. I thought you were going to let them auction off the VW, and take your chances... I would never do that..

Yes, if you can get a great deal on the Audi now, then $700 is not a lot to get out of your old lease early...

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    THE CAR - 2005 A4 1.8T, Special Edition = metal/pearl paint + premium package (roof, leather, trip computer) + cold weather package + 17" wheel package + rear spoiler and power passenger seat.

MSRP on A4 with as much of same equipment as available = $32,470 per Audi website.

MSRP on SE = $31,320 per website on special offers. Savings from Audi = $1,150 Actually, adding the power passenger seat and rear spoiler, which are unavailable otherwise, probably makes SE a savings of $2,000.

Current special advertised = $575 acquisition, $1,999 capital cost reduction, 1st month, and 1st month rounded up to nearest $100 as a security deposit + tax, title, registration. $299/mos. - 24 months - 10,000 miles/year.

Residual $21,294 (70%)

My deal:

Security waived, previous VW lessee

No capital cost reduction

$575 acquisition fee

1st month

T, T & Reg.

36 mos./15,000 miles/year

$354/mos, before monthly sales tax on lease charge and depreciation.

56% residual and 0.00025 Money Factor [per Car_man (THANK YOU!!!)]

I determined that dealer contribution to advertised special was $500. I believe that in my deal it is more like $1,200-1,300. Remember, I am getting 50% more miles/year than in the adverstised special.

I contacted internet sales managers and could have saved $200 more in up front charges AND $3-4/month. Compromise was for locating the color/interior I wanted. Also, I rewarded the salesperson who actually spent the time to sell me the car, find the one I wanted and go get it.
  • Options
    There are few 6 speed Special Editions (meaning quattros since the 5 speeds are FWD)left. They have been popular with consumers and dealers because of the options Audi has put in them at a discount. See my post above.

There is more inventory in automatics. I am not sure if this means CVT or Tiptronic, or both. Hence, I would think that you would be able to get a better deal, and I think I left some money on the table. (There were some internet dealers who would not match the deal I made, though).

There are also a good amount of cars that are on dealers' yards that are not special editions. In my experience, these cars, including 6 speed quattros, seem to be treated differently by each dealer. I think the approaches fall into two categories. First Category: Do not sell them until the SEs are all gone, refuse to discount them enough to compete with the SE's value. Perhaps, these dealers anticipate that Audi will put out another special lease offer or, perhaps, a cash back incentive on them later. Second Category: Discount them to make them competitive with the SEs, (although the SEs have the rear spoiler and power passenger seat, and in my experience they are only matching SE lease prices so SEs are still better if you can find one you want).

Car_man [See Leasing forum] says the (B7 VW/Audi platform number) 2006 A4s will be launched in March. So, there will be better deals each week. But, if I am not mislead by 4 of the dealerships I dealt with, I have just gotten the last of the 6 speed SE A4s in the Northeast with my color/interior preference.

Good luck to every consumer!
  • Options
    that the CVT is only available with FWD (and maybe only with the 1.8 turbo), and that Tiptronic is on the Quattro models..

upndown... You did a lot of research and got a great deal... Congratulations!!

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    jplymanjplyman Member Posts: 90
    I'm pretty sure you can get the CVT with the 3.0 but only in FWD models - it is not ready for the Quattro models - I believe the test car for edmunds was 3.0 CVT - great article by the way.
  • Options
    ante148ante148 Member Posts: 10
    I need some help please.

I am deciding on whether to purchase a used 2003 A4 1.8T quattro, or lease a new 2005. The details are:

Used:

2003 A4 1.8T Quattro –Auto loaded

Price: $21,000

Miles: 24K

Warranty: 20 months remaining. It all checks out on carfax and at local Audi where it was serviced. Really nice, clean A4.

I would be financing $19,000 for a monthly pmt of $372 for 5 years at 6.55%.

New:

2005 A4 1.8T quattro SE – auto

Sale price used for calculation: $30,850

3 year lease w/ money factor of .0045, or with a 2 year lease .0025. (I understand that this equals .6% vs 1.08% finance rate)

12K miles per year

58% of residual on the buyout.

The cost would approx $1400 down pmt and $379 monthly.

1- does the lease sound like a good deal, and

2- which is the better option?

The use of this car will be very minimal for the first year, with probably on 5K miles put on. After that it will most likely jump to an average of 12K miles per year.

Thanks, Mike
  • Options
    These are tough choices.. I think, in this example, that the scale tilts a little farther in favor of leasing...

1) 6.55% buy vs. 1.1% lease.. This is what really favors the lease.. cheap money..

2) New car... under warranty the entire term of the lease.. Scheduled maintenance included for same term.. Used car.. out of warranty in about 1.5 years..

3) A five-year loan on a car that is already over 2 years old.. You'll start getting repair and maintenance bills fairly soon... Sort of an unlimited downside, if the car ends up having reliability problems, while still making payments..

4) Some might say you'll have equity after paying off the loan.. but, after paying on it for 3 years (to match the term of the lease), you will still owe $8350... I very much doubt that a 5 year old Audi A4 will be worth more than that.. certainly not on a trade-in.

The leases on the new A4s are really good deals.. They are discounting it a decent amount, giving you an artificially high residual, and charging you practically nothing for finance charges.

Couple all of that with the fact that recent Audis are not exactly famous for being cheap to own out of warranty, and it seems pretty clear that the lease is the best way to go.

Also, add another zero after the decimal point.. The money factors are .00025 and .00045

Hope this helps,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thanks, kyfdx. That was the decision I was leaning towards. But let me ask one more question and throw another option to this mix.

A certified pre-owned '03 A4 for $23,500 with approx 30K miles. If I finance $21,000 at 3.9% my monthly payment will be $385. But, I will have the benefit of the extended warranty of 2 years + 50,000 over whatever is existing.

Thoughts? thanks again.
  • Options
    Well.. that is better.. my advice is always to never own an Audi out of warranty..

It might come down to what you think you will do in the future..

1) If you buy the used one, will you be ready to sell it in three years? If so, lease the new one, and you won't have to worry about resale..

2) Maintenance.. this still favors leasing the new one... All included..

3) My rule of thumb on buying.. if the downpayment is minimal, you'll need to make 2/3 of the payments before you show positive equity.. That means 40 months...

4) If for some reason you have to get out of the car in a short period of time.. you will probably take a lot smaller loss on the used car, than breaking a lease on the new one.. But, if you think this might happen, I wouldn't do either.. I'd buy something a lot cheaper..

If you keep your cars a long time, then buying the used one is probably cheaper.. But, of course, after 3.5 to 4 years, you'll be out of warranty on it..

If you like to trade every three years, in this case, leasing makes a lot more sense..

One final note... the money factor is dirt cheap.. Try to get out making only the first payment, security deposit and license fees.. Ask them to roll everything else into the lease payment.. I'd rather pay $800 upfront and $20/mo. more, than $1500 upfront..

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thanks for your help kyfdx!

I just leased a new A4! details.

2005 A4 SE - Auto

36 month / 12K miles per year

dolphin grey/ black

$1740 out of pocket

$372 per month

58% residual

Picking it up on Monday. thanks again.
  • Options
    Great.. Congratulations!!

regards,

kyfdx

(living vicariously through others)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    nowhere2005nowhere2005 Member Posts: 11
    Looking to close a deal on a new A4 with the following:

2005 A4 1.8T 6spd SE w/cold weather pkg. & metallic paint.

MSRP w/dest = 31170

First swag cap cost = 29180 + 720 dest

Just have to decide 12k or 15k/yr

Thanks
  • Options
    dvice1dvice1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Mazda Rx8 since 7/1/04 miles 7000. I'm upside down about $5,000. I want to do the lease on the SE (the promo). My ? is how can I structure my deal without having a big out of pocket down pymt.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,150
    Well, car dealers aren't magicians, so that $5,000 in negative equity is all yours. Now, you can come up with $5,000, or try to roll that negative equity into a new vehicle loan, but we're talking $5K here and not a couple thousand, so you may find it difficult.

First, stop by our Real-World Trade-In Values discussion to get a realistic assessment of what your RX-8 is worth.

Then, you'll need to start shopping dealerships for the A4. If you're truly set on getting out of the RX-8, you have very little negotiating power on the A4 price, so you'll have to tell the salesperson UP FRONT that your main goal is to have as little $ out of pocket as possible. If you've got great credit, it can probably be done on a 3-year lease, but you'll have a pretty big lease payment.

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    Don't do it... $5000 extra to lease a car for 8 months? Just ride it out..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    nowhere2005nowhere2005 Member Posts: 11
    Picked it up yesterday from Audi of Rochester Hills. The purchase experience was great (My 3rd A4 from them) and I highly recommend them. They actually bought the vehicle from another local Audi dealer, since they only had auto trans A4's in stock.

Specs:

2005 A4 1.8T 6spd SE w/cold weather pkg. & metallic paint (Dolphin Gray).

MSRP w/dest = 31170

Purchase Price = 29048 + 720 dest

How'd I do?
  • Options
    seattlegalseattlegal Member Posts: 4
    I have the following offers from a couple of dealers for a 1.8T A4 quattro with tiptronic, Special Edition, cold weather package and metallic paint.

Dealer1:

Price: 31500 (+tax, licence, etc) to purchase

With this, I would finance 30000 from a bank at 5.9% APR for 48 months, and pay the remaining amount, tax, etc, in cash.

Dealer2:

24 mo lease of 326/mo (including tax), based on price of 31260

3750 due at signing (including 1st month, fees)

Lease end value = 22350 + 350 in disposal fee.

Should I go with lease or purchase?

How much room do I have to negotiate for each, given that the 2005.5s get here in 6 weeks?
  • Options
    Simple math says the lease deal is better... but, did you ask Dealer2 for a purchase price? Perhaps the lease deal is better, because he is using a lower selling price than Dealer1.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thanks kyfdx.

Do the lease terms look reasonable? Do I have any room to negotiate here?
  • Options
    I don't really follow Audi prices that closely.. but, I do recommend against making any kind of cap cost reduction (downpayment) on a lease..

Your out-of-pocket shouldn't exceed $1000-$1200.. Of course, this will raise your payment by $110-$120 per month, but overall, won't cost you any more in total..

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    maxillomaxillo Member Posts: 12
    Just looking through these posts as yesterday I took a ride to the local NJ Audi dealer.

I'm hyped on the A4 with the lease terms they are offering, which seem substantially better than the ones being discussed here.

Hear me out....

2005 A4 SE 1.8T quattro 6 speed manual

24 mo least at 299/mo 2100 down, 575 acq. fee, 350 disposal fee. 20300 buyout.

Is this a more recent offer? It's available on the audi website. check it out.

cheers
  • Options
    I see this on the website, but I dont see the offer you're referring to. When you read the fine print, other than the difference in downpayment, it seems like the same.

2005 A4 1.8 T CVT** Special Edition

2005 A4 1.8 T quattro®*** Special Edition

$299 per month

24-month lease*

---------------------------------------------------

Down payment $1,999

Security deposit $300

Acquisition fee $575

(Acquisition fee for NY residents: $800)

First month's payment $299

---------------------------------------------------

Amount due at lease inception $3,173

(Amount due at lease inception for NY residents: $3,398)

Excludes taxes, title and dealer fees. Limited CVT quantities in certain states. See dealer for details.

*24-month closed-end leases offered to qualified customers by Audi Financial Services through participating dealers. Must take delivery by February 28, 2005. Required dealer contribution could affect final negotiated transaction. Lessee responsible for insurance and may have some financial liability at lease end. Lessee responsible for $0.25/mile over 10,000 miles per year and a disposition fee of $350 due at lease end.

**Rate based on $29,520.00 MSRP of 2005 Audi A4 1.8 T Special Editon sedan with multitronic and FrontTrak front-wheel drive including Special Edition pkg., California Emissions, Metallic/Pearl effect paint and destination charge. Purchase option at lease end for $20,368.80. See dealer for details.

***Rate based on $31,320.00 MSRP of 2005 Audi A4 1.8 T Special Edition sedan with 6-speed manual transmission and quattro® all-wheel drive including Special Edition pkg., Cold weather pkg., Northeast Emissions, Metallic/Pearl effect paint and destination charge. Purchase option at lease end for $21,924.00. See dealer for details.
  • Options
    vibesvibes Member Posts: 4
    Hello,

I just finished a deal for an 05 A4 Ultrasport 1.8T MT6.

Here are the specs:

2005 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro

Ultra Sport Package

Dolphin Gray Metallic Paint

Premium Package

Manual 6 Speed

Sirius Satellite Radio

Xenon Lighting Package

Cold Weather Package

Included Winter Rubber Mats

Included Front Stainless Steel Audi Plate

STICKER: $35,920

MY PRICE: $33,670  

The lease is for 36 mos w/ 10k miles per year.

Due at leasing: $1633.07

$435 per month including all taxes

I think I got a good deal, interested to hear what others think.

Thanks.
  • Options
    rodistrodist Member Posts: 36
    Can someone please supply me with the Money Factors and Residuals on an

Audi A4 1.8 Cabriolet

36 / 12K

42 / 12K

48 / 12K

Thanks for your help on this.
  • Options
    bajahpbajahp Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of leasing an A4 and right now I am in arizona but will be moving to CA in a few weeks. The sales tax is lower in arizona so I want to get the lease done in Arizona but can I take the lease car to CA? Thanks
  • Options
    rodistrodist Member Posts: 36
    Deal on a 36 month 15k lease

AUDI 1.8T QUATRO Automatic Triptronic
    SPECIAL EDITION pkg
    Cold Pkg
    Bose
    Metallic Paint

Invoice $31,033.00
    MSRP $33,370.00

Selling Price $31,370.00
    Acquisition Fee (paid up front)
    IL Tax 7% $2,195.90
    Cap Cost $33,565.90
    Cap Reduction $0
    Tax Credit $1,200.00 (Trade in on old lease)
    Adj Cap Cost $32,365.90

Base Monthly Payment $395.28

DUE AT LEASE INCEPTION
    Cap Reduction $0.00
    Cap Reduction Tax $0.00
    First Month Payment $395.28
    Acquisition $575.00
    Title, Tags and misc $136.00
    Due At inception $1,106.28

Kdyfx, Thanks for your help
  • Options
    Great deal...

You didn't need much help.. you had a good handle on the math..

Congratulations on your new car.. now you can concentrate on the most important part.. driving it..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    Hello All,

I have been looking at the A4 lease and talking with two separate dealers for about one week. I just recently looked into this forum...I'll get down to the numbers and a few questions at the end. I have a color choice which from what I see may been in high demand in the CT area. I've leased a few vehicles in the past and I'm familiar with most of the ins/outs. Here's what I've been quoted from two different dealers;

Dealer #1
    Special Edition 1.8T w/tiptronic Cap Cost 32k
    Met. Paint (Dolphin Gray)
    $1230 due at inception includes (1st month, security, acq fee, title, reg)
    36 month lease, 12k annual-$387.XX per month

Dealer #2
    Special Edition 1.8T w/tiptronic Cap Cost 32.3k
    Met. Paint (Dolphin Gray)
    Bose/XM
    $1500 due at inception includes (1st month, security, acq fee, title, reg)
    36 month lease, 12k annual-$401.XX per month

From the looks of it dealer #2 is offering a better discount per the invoice/MSRP because of the upgraded audio system 32.3k cap cost compared w/ 32k w/o Bose. The Bose carries an Invoice of $910. Initially I was opposed to this option although listening to an A4 with and without it, I think I may opt for the Bose. Although, after looking at the total dollars, the $14 per month more for deal#2 plus the $260 more at inception totals an additional $764 over the lease making it a wash.

The plot thickens.....Dealer#1 has stated I fall into a Tier 1 and provided the approval from Audi/VW although it did not indicate a tier, while dealer#2 has stated I fall in at Tier 2, forwarded the approval w/ the Tier 2 indicated.

Basically, looking for some advice, am I over looking anything? I've spoke total to about four different dealers. Two of which would not touch either deal. From what I see posted on this board both offers look in line with what everyone is paying on average. Although, in the tri-state area luxury cars, the A4 lease special in particular seem to always be at a higher premium. The Dolphin Gray also seems to be short in supply. One of these dealers actually had me look into Audi dealers inventory showing what dealer (by dealer code) had what color/option packages and stated they swap in various states regularly. Thoughts anyone?
  • Options
    Both look like good deals, and similar to rodist's deal above..

$764 seems like a lot to spend over 3 years for an upgraded stereo... but, if it is important to you..

Are those prices plus tax?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    Yes both include 6% CT tax in the monthly payment. My thoughts were in line with that of yours regarding the $700+ for the Bose stereo. I asked the dealer if I could listen to both, and did. The upgraded stereo also includes XM which is a decent feature. Audi provides 90 days of service before your required to either discontinue or pay $10 per month subscription fee.

Like I said in the earlier post quantities, color choices and pricing may be limited by demographic area. While I do not feel pressured supply/demand always plays a roll. A good friend of mine just recently leased the same car in NYC at a higher premium. And stated they leased four while he was there making his deal. Has anyone here leased in CT recently?
  • Options
    With the new 2005.5 model coming out soon, I think the supply will shrink fast..

That really is a great deal on a $33K car.. If you are happy with it, I don't see any reason to wait..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator