Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Audi A4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    mcmurraymcmurray Member Posts: 2
    Did you buy or lease your car? If you don't mind me asking? I am in Atlanta and looking to lease.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,150
    Some of the recent posts in this discussion have been moved to our new Leasing vs. Purchasing discussion. The comments seemed a great way to kick of that conversation!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    turbotorqueturbotorque Member Posts: 45
    1- That hasn't been my personal experience. My step-father had a leased vehicle that was declared a total loss by his insurance company. The insurance company paid off the leasing company, and also gave him several thousand dollars. Apparently, the insurance company values the leased vehicle at Kelley Blue Book retail. Whatever amount is greater than the payoff goes to the insured. He used this money to lease a new vehicle.

2- Any money down reduces the interest paid on the lease, just as is the case with a downpayment in a financing situation.
  • Options
    cargal2cargal2 Member Posts: 36
    Hi Waygrabow!

Hope you had a good holiday. You are astute. In the end, I decided to return the car. I just don't need the hassle. I feel the way things are said, and handled during the sales process is critical to the way I will be dealt with by the service department. I found there were several complaints filed against this dealer.

I don't want to fool around taking the car in for repairs and maintenance, I want a no problem dealership that is going to help me get in and out.

I dissolved the contract, took back my car, gave them back theirs and went to a different dealer that I heard was good.

I found another Avant wagon, similarly equipped with 50 miles, premium and cold weather packages, but 16 inch wheels. The smaller wheels makes the car drive much smoother, the ride is much more enjoyable, although the 17 inch wheels are more attractive looking. And, yes, I test drove it, and it has 50 miles!

The price is 28,500. It's been certified, and I get a two year extended warranty included. However, they only offered me $2000 towards my car. It's Atlas Grey with a light tan interior, instead of grey.

I think it's a good price, especially since it has a two year extra warranty. It was in a special program, meaning it was supposed to be the manager's car.

I have to wait until December 2, though.

After all is this, now other dealers are calling me to offer me the cars I was trying to find:

Mercedes C240 4 matic wagon, or a BMW 2004 324xit sports wagon with premium pack, upgraaded stereo, cold weather package, and xenon headlights. I can't recall if it has leather.

I was happy with the thought of the Audi, bec. I couldn't afford even a used BMW, but now I'm noticing that Audi's, even new ones have been having problems -- like multiple trips to the dealers, several reports of needing new transmissions, Audi not being receptive?

Your input would be appreciated. Thanks and happy holidays!
  • Options
    chivetgirlchivetgirl Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone give me some help with what I should be negotiating for here?

I am looking at an '05 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro, Special Edition
    Brilliant Red
    Cold Weather
    Bose/XM Stereo
    Premium Pkg
    17 inch wheels
    Rear Spoiler (on a wagon??)
    The sales guy says MSRP is $33,700. But they would have to order it for me and I may not see it until May. Seemed to me like he was looking through inventory lists while on the phone.
    Isn't this car just a money maker for Audi while they get the production line set for the '06 models? Am I wrong to think that I could get this car for under 30K? This guy is just so hard sell, and all numbers he gives me are based on MSRP. HELP!!!

Also, any feedback on the Audi Premier Purchase? What's the catch??
  • Options
    ctorreyctorrey Member Posts: 64
    Yes, I believe that the A4 SE is a "money maker" for Audi. More importantly, I don't think you can "order" any more '05s. I believe your dealer will need to locate one. Others can confirm this. If I were you, I would log on to www.audiworld.com and navigate to the A4 forum and post there. Those guys know their stuff.

As far as the selling price goes, you should come in close to invoice - anywhere from below invoice to $1k over appears to be the range. I got my '05 A4 3.0 UltraSport for about $700 over invoice in Sept. The dealer had to locate one and have it shipped.
  • Options
    firsttimefirsttime Member Posts: 1
    Hi Guys,

I am getting this A4 1.8T Quattro SE (Premium package, Bose sound system & 17 inch alloy wheel)- $34,320 for $3289 down & 299/month @ 15k miles per year for 42 month.

Pls. suggest how does it look? Am I paying extra /getting ripped off OR any suggestions /inputs?.....this is my first time that I am leasing.
    Thanks
  • Options
    ejsjejsj Member Posts: 10
    I've been quoted a price of $23,995 on a 2004 1.8T, 5 speed manual, front wheel drive, with premium package. It's a new car (although it is one year old now that the 2005's are on the lot) and it is about $2100 below invoice. Is this a good price?
  • Options
    jj25jj25 Member Posts: 1
    Yes, you would be getting ripped off on those terms. At this time of year, you shouldn't be paying a penny over dealer cost (invoice price). The invoice price of the car you are talking about is around $30,400 or so. Don't pay anything more than this.

Since you are leasing, you shouldn't put any money down, either. It will raise your monthly payment but you are not giving the dealer "free money", which is what you do when you put a down payment on a leased vehicle. You do need to pay certain things up front like the dealer/bank acquisition fees and 1st month payment. Shouldn't come to much more than $1200 or so up front. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    badtacobadtaco Member Posts: 3
    I just leased a 2005 SE with cold weather and premium package. MSRP was 31170. I walked out the door at 29,500. I feel like I left a little money on the table but they have to make a buck too. I also got the money factor at their published rates. They didn't pad it at all. Is this a good deal?
  • Options
    jeffsaulsjeffsauls Member Posts: 11
    Looks like you paid about $300-400 over invoice. That looks good to me. I'm working on a deal on an '05 SE with premium audio and tiptronic, MSRP of $32,870 and I've got at least one dealer willing to do $31,376 -- $500 over invoice. Got one more to shop it to.
  • Options
    vibesvibes Member Posts: 4
    Hello,

I'm currently working on a deal for an 05 A4 Ultrasport.

Here are the specs:

2005 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro

Ultra Sport Package

Dolphin Gray Metallic Paint

Premium Package

Manual 6 Speed

Bose w/ Sirius Satellite Radio

Xenon

Cold Weather Package

Wheel Locks

MSRP OF 09.04: $36,920

MSRP AS OF 12.04: $38,120

INVOICE AS OF 12.04: $35,356

The best deal I have is for $35,285

The lease is for 36 mos w/ 10k miles per year.

$0 down, + costs.

$436 per month

For this time of the year (I have heard to accept nothing over invoice) does this seem like a good deal? Do you think it is likely to get my payments to about $350?

Thanks.
  • Options
    jtojedajtojeda Member Posts: 1
    Wanted to see what you all think of the "deal" my local dealer in central california is offering. 2005 A4 1.8T CVT "Special Edition" which has the 17" wheels, leather, sunroof, rear spoiler with the sat. radio as an option for $28,020 before tax and license... Thanks for all the good info you all have posted...

Joe
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 239,329
    You already have a price below invoice, and the lease is $436/mo..

So...no, it isn't likely you will get the payments down to $350.. I'd guess that you won't get them under $436.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    pantjipantji Member Posts: 13
    I am working on a similar deal in the Jersey area. What should I offer for a 6 Speed + Quattro + Special Edition + Cold Weather Pckage. Is 27500 a good deal?
  • Options
    upndwnupndwn Member Posts: 44
    Since I would like a similar car if I pick the A4, I ran the lease calculation using the money factor and residual posted by carman on the leasing forum @ Edmunds. Actually, he gave the numbers for 42 months and 12,000 miles a year. I calculated the numbers to be:

Cap. Cost $35,285

Residual $19,441.2

Depreciation $15,843.8 = $377.23/mos (over 42)

monthly interest = $26.81

total before tax monthly charge $404.04

Assuming you pay sales tax only on the lease payment in your state 6% sales tax would bring you to $428.29.

I know that 36/10,000 is not the sames as 42/12,000, but the ball park seems to be at the limit. The can won't be discounted much lower even as the 2005s disappear.
  • Options
    ctorreyctorrey Member Posts: 64
    USP Guys -

You are pretty much at the bottom of the lease paymant range for that car. From what I understand, Audi has already finished its big support for leftover '04s and '05s. As long as the dealer is around or just below invoice and the charge you AFS money factors, there is little more that you can do. Maybe some free winter mats or something.

Enjoy - it's a fun car (I have the '05 3.0 USP)
  • Options
    newtoaudi1newtoaudi1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi.

I'm on the market for a new car and have fallen for the 2005 Audi A4 Cab 1.8T CVT with the following options:

- premium package

- audio package

- lighting package

- 17" alloy wheels

- heated front seats

- color - l. silver metallic

List price is $41.3K, and the dealer has quoted me $38.4 (plus taxes, title & dealer fees), claiming that it is their invoice cost.

Does anyone know if this is a good deal, especially with the 2005.5/2006's coming out in ~3 months?

Thanks!
  • Options
    jb11jb11 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at an 02' 1.8T Quattro, it has 38000 miles on it, premium package with sunroof, leather, winter package w/heated seats. I drove it today, very clean drove well. They are asking $22,500?? Is this a good price? Please advise, thanks. Oh I also get 1.9% financing.
  • Options
    pedped Member Posts: 18
    Be sure to find out if the recalls were done and run carfax on it to see the history. Make sure all maintance was done as recommened, good luck!
  • Options
    Where in Jersey? Up in Sussex County there is a dealer called Newton Motorsports who works real tight. I got the best price around on my A4 1.8 Quat in September, no one came close. Reply if you want contact and number.
  • Options
    swamiswami Member Posts: 3
    hi ped,

I got a quote for a '03 Audi 1.8TQuatro AWD, Sports package, Bose, 17" alloy wheels, 28750 miles, for $ 26,500 (buy) with 3.9% for 60 mths. Please give me some feedback on the deal.

thank you
  • Options
    rjorge3rjorge3 Member Posts: 144
    Hi there, I really need help. My wife and I are going next Monday (Dec 27th) to check out the special lease on the 2005 A4 Quattro 1.8, Manual. The specs are with the MSRP prices:

A4 1.8 Quattro Sedan, manual: $28,150

Special Edition Package: $ 1,200

Cold Weather Package: $ 650

Special Paint: $ 450

Total MSRP: $30,450

Invoice is : $28,231

Difference: $2,219

Please note that I did not include emissions and destination charges as the are the same MSRP=Invoice.

My question to the group is how can I negotiate the Capitalize cost (MSRP)? How much is a fair price/profit over invoice to the dealer?

The advertised lease deal read as follows:

Down payment: $1,995

Ref. Security: $0.00

Acquisition fee: $575

1st Month pmt: $299

Total at inception: $2,869

42 months lease; $299 plus tax per month (I live in NJ).

is is a good deal as advertised? Should I negotiate the MSRP price on this deal?

Thanks guys for your input. This will be my first lease and I am totally confused.
  • Options
    ante148ante148 Member Posts: 10
    I am looking to buy a used a A4 in the New York area. I have been searching on the web and backgroung check on carfax. Do you think these used prices will come down significantly when the new '06 body style comes out. Should I wait until April? Thx.
  • Options
    Hi there, I just want to tell the group of the deal I got on my 2005 A4, 1.8 Quattro, Manual, Special Edition package, cold weather package. Silver with grey leather interior:

$350 per month including tax

10k per year

42 month lease

My total, I repeat total lease inception cost was $1,309!!!

Included in my lease is free oil change, brake pads, wipers, and tune ups during the life of the lease.

The people at Flemington Audi were amazing. I would totally recommend them.
  • Options
    daradara Member Posts: 4
    I am interested in leasing an A4 1.8T Cabriolet. This will be my second lease with Audi. They still want me to put a substantial down. Can anyone give me some advice on how to negotiate. If I stay with the model I orignally had (A4 1.8T) keeping the same payment for a newer car. I would still have to give $3000K for inception fees. That is what I paid last time with my monthly payments at $362.63. Help I have to turn in my lease.
  • Options
    Maybe they are asking for the large downpayment to hit a certain monthly payment number you asked for?

In almost all circumstances, you can get a lease with only 1st payment, deposits and fees upfront.. Of course, the payment won't be the same.. just tell them you don't want to make a cap cost reduction..

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thank you. How much should I try to negotiate the price down from the MSRP?

Currently sticker price is $39,070 (2005 A4 1.8T Cabriolet) and the salesperson reported that he lowered it to $38,182.00. I know invoice on this car is 33,678.00 and retail is 36,470 plan.

Of course all the ones in stock have upgrades which is how they are trying to get me. I mentioned that I am not in a hurry. I could be without a car for a little bit.

Aside for putting inception fees how low should I try to go?

Sincerely,

Dara
  • Options
    Okay.. $36,470 and $33,678 are the "base" MSRP and invoice prices... As you can see, there is a $2800 spread between MSRP and invoice... On the $39,070 MSRP unit, the invoice price is probably around $36,000.

They don't really deal aggressively on convertibles... but, it is winter time and it is a droptop.. You might be able to get that selling price down another $500-$1000...

The only thing to pay upfront?

1st payment

security deposit

title and licensing fees..

I like to roll the acquisition fee and all taxes into the monthly lease payment... Any dealer will do this.. I can't really tell you what the payment should be, as I don't have the money factor and residual numbers... But, I would guess somewhere around $500-$600/month with the minimal upfront costs I have listed..

That is a pretty big spread, I know.. but I'd need the lease numbers to work up a payment..

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Currently they are asking for $3600 down(which includes 1st month, etc.) no security deposit, 12 miles per year for 42 months at $500 per month with tax.

Is this wise? Should I continue to negotiate the $38,182.00 which has the xenon lights & premium pkg.

Thank you so much for your prompt attention.

Dara
  • Options
    I'm sure they are "asking" for $3600 down, to come up with that $500 payment... You can cut the upfront to about $1200 and the payment will go up to about $565-$575/mo...

They won't care.. they will structure it however you want...

I would surely try to negotiate a lower price... you can't get what you don't ask for...

Regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thank you so much for your help. I feel better informed to make a wise purchase(lease).

All the best for 2005!

Dara
  • Options
    storrk1storrk1 Member Posts: 19
    Gang,

My car hunt has concluded, I've decided on a 2005 Audi A4 Special Edition. I've received what I think to be a good offer, but wanted your thoughts especially as I've never leased. Especially you kyfdx--you're the man. Your advice in the past has been tremendous and would be greatly appreciated here.

Here are the details:

-2005 Audi A4 1.8 quattro Special Edition

-Cold Weather Package

-Black on Black Leather

-6 speed manual

-MSRP is $31,600

The offer is $3,500 down with $300 a month (including IL taxes) for 36 months with 10,000 miles.

I know this is a lot to be putting down and is not advised for a lease, but I'm keen on keeping payments in the $300 range.

Also, I'm doing what Audi calls a Premiere Purchase which has been positioned by the dealer as a lease/purchase hybrid. To be honest, I'm not exactly sure how this differs from a traditional lease but it does allow me to be exempt from the city of Chicago 7% usage tax which applies to traditional leases. Total scam by the city.

What do you guys think? It looks like rjorge3 got an amazing deal and I'm starting to question my offer. Please reply as soon as you can, I'm scheduled to pick the car up tomorrow--Thursday.

Thanks so much,

Ro
  • Options
    Storrk1, call as many dealers close to you (if you can visit them even better) and just let them know how much you want to pay (the offer has to be reasonable of course). I was able to have three dealers within 40 miles of my home offering the lease at not more than $366 (NJ tax included) with the specifications I had mentioned in my previous post, I chose of course the one that came the lowest, but I alwasy kept my specifications the same (compare apples to apples): 2005 A4 1.8, Quattro, Special Ed pkg, Cold Weather pkg, Manual, 42 month, 10K, $1,309 total inception cost and free schedule maintanance visits.

Let them know you mean business, but have your check book ready if they offer you a good deal (or walk out if they don't) Remember that this week is CRUCIAL for dealers as they love to post good numbers in their books.
  • Options
    You know.. that Illinois tax thing is really disadvantageous to leasing.. So, it is really hard to compare prices to other areas.. Your total cost of about $400/mo. (assuming you rolled in the $3500 down) including taxes seems decent, especially considering Illinois taxes..

I strongly suggest you re-consider making that downpayment.. Stick it in a special account and withdraw $100/mo. to put toward your payment.. You wouldn't believe the horror stories about people having their leased car totaled right away and having their entire downpayment disappear...

It all ends up costing the same in the long run..

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Storrk1, follow Kyfdx advise, give the least amount of dowmpayment possible. $3k is way to much. You can even put it in a safe mutual fund account and draw the difference each month and keep remainder for the other payments.

Hope it helps
  • Options
    mrtgemanmrtgeman Member Posts: 6
    Hello all. I'm a newbie on this forum and was wondering if you folks can give me some advice whether I'm getting a deal or getting "stiffed".

Here is what I'm looking at:

2004 A4 3.0 Avant Quattro, 6spd, 12k miles, Brilliant Red, Ultrasport, Premium pkg, lighting pkg (Xenon), On-star, Nav, Cold weather pkg, black leather seats, dual power seats, F&R airbags, manual sun shades, Certified Audi (6yr/100k, 4yr/50k FREE maintenance and roadside assistance). So the car pretty much comes with all the goodies possible to get for it and I must add it's in "immaculate" condition.

Here is what the dealer is offering me:

51 month lease, $3k down, $487/mo ($527 incl. CA 8.25 tax), 2.26 money factor. Car is being discounted from $38k+ down to $34k+.

So, is this a good deal? Please help as I would like to grab this deal if it's good one as I am madly in-love with the car BUT only if it's a fair deal. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    Oops forgot to add the following: Bose w/XM and lease is based on 12k/year. If this lease is a bad deal then what is a good/ideal lease payment?
  • Options
    Used car leases are rarely a good deal... and yours illustrates that...

You can buy that car for $583/mo plus tax for 60 months.. assuming sale price of $34K and $3K down.. 4.9% interest..

Now, a $100/mo. difference might be significant if you were leasing for only 36 months.. But, a 51 month lease? Much better off to buy the car instead, or look into leasing a new one for no more than 42 months..

I don't really have any comment on whether the sale price is a good buy.. Don't really follow the market for used Audis...

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thank you kyfdx. I always assumed that used car leases are better deals since the depreciation has already been absorbed for the first years. I checked on Kelly Blue Book and Edmunds what the car sells for used and it retails $38-40k. Not sure if this makes a difference in your "valued" opinion. Thanks again.
  • Options
    I'm really just making a "financing" judgement... 51 months is a long time to lease, and the difference in payment just would not make it worth it to me, since a lease is more restrictive than traditional financing..

If you think the car is a good buy.. and I'll leave that to you... (it does sound nice), then I would look into purchasing it... They may even have some low finance rates on CPO cars... If you could get a rate lower than 5%, that would be even better..

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    BUY IT, Great Deal...hope I'm not too late.Good Luck!
  • Options
    I believe you can also get 3.9% as well...good luck.
  • Options
    tim9214tim9214 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all. I am looking for a used Audi A4 1.8T 2002, sedan, with a clear title and up to 50,000 miles on it. What would be a reasonable price range? My guess was from $17,000 to $19,000. Should Quatro be more expensive than FWD? Thanks.
  • Options
    storrk1storrk1 Member Posts: 19
    Just wanted to send a quick thanks to rjorge3 and kydfx. Your information and advise were very much appreciated, very nice of you.

I picked up the car last Thursday and it's been a thrill. With 10" of snow expected tonight and tomorrow, the quattro will get its first test!

To anyone out there considering the A4, get it, you won't be dissapointed.

All the best in the new year gang,

Ro
  • Options
    upndwnupndwn Member Posts: 44
    There are not too many postings on this board.

I am considering a few different cars and have maybe 60-90 days before I need to take delivery of a vehicle.

I know that A4 prices will be better and choices fewer as the new model launch approaches. Anyone who is out in the market, or otherwise has a sense, please let me know how the inventory of 2005 A4s is holding up.

Has anyone heard that their choice, (ie; transmission, color, interior, etc.), is rare and can't be located or had?

My decision is a little price sensative on the A4. There are more expensive cars I prefer (Acura TL if one that doesn't vibrate is available), I think. But, as the lease prices fall, this might be too good to pass up. This is especially true if anyone is finding 3.0 prices falling as the advertised 1.8T package has.

Thanks.
  • Options
    bb1bb1 Member Posts: 1
    I recently received a quote for a 2005 A4 1.8TQ with the following options:

Ultra sport

Premium

Xenon

Cold Weather

Bose Stereo

Moro blue paint

Dealer quote: $35,800 USD

Does this seem in line with what everyone would expect to pay given the fact that a new model is coming out in two months? I was hoping for a better deal than this but I haven't negotiated with him much as of yet.

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    I recently bouth a 2005 Audi A4 1.8. My friend loved it so much so, that we test drove an used A4 today for him. We found it to be a great deal (the person is in desperate need to buy a home). The negociated price is at $16,000 (private seller). 2002 A4 1.8 Quattro with ESP Control,

5 manual

Silver/Silver Leatherette interior(I know, this sucks!)

Cold Weather package

Sport Suspension package, 17" tires

Xenon Lights

Heated front and back seats

Tinted windows

Bose system (6 front CDs)

56,000 Miles

Cruise

Sunroof (power)

No power seats

Power windows

Security System

Well, my friend would like get this car, but he wants to know if you guys know of any good third party extended warranty companies that are reputable. He does not want to buy this car without some sort of warranty, as he is afraid that something might go wrong with it in the future.

Do you guys advise to get an extended warranty? How much do they cost? and do you know a good company?

Thanks to all in advance

R
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,150
    Obviously, the decision about whether to purchase an extended warranty depends on what's most important to the individual. They can be expensive; however, if peace of mind is most important, then it's money well spent. Given some of the expensive problems that have occurred in fun-to-drive but not entirely reliable Audis, it would be worth investigating.

The best place to get advice on different aftermarket products is in our Extended Warranties discussion, so please post questions there and we'll try to help you.

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    mcs19mcs19 Member Posts: 14
    I see that Audi is advertising a new lease program for 299/mo. for 24 mos. with 10k/yr. and 1999 d.p. (plus other charges). It appears this is based on a purchase price of MSRP. I'm interested in such a lease for an automatic but with 12k/yr. Has anyone had any experience negotiating this lease and what can I expect in terms of a better lease deal. I've been quoted a purchase price on the vehicle of $30,000. Shouldn't I be able to do better and use that as the "purchase price" for the lease? Also, what is the APR. I called Audi and they said they didn't know and I had to call the dealer. Any thoughts and guidance on this would be much appreciated.