Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,150
    >$23,216 Salesman acted like the doc fee was the holy grail, and wouldn't budge, even pointed to the TWO signs on the wall by the F&I office.

They can put up signs all they want for me. But I think the difference is I negotiate up from my minimum price I want to pay. There seems to be an opposite approach of asking the salesman how much he can come down, which enables them to take the approach that their price is precious and they just can't come down. It's like saying "Father, may I buy for this price?"

I'm always working up so whatever they wish to bury in their price is fine as along as we meet somewhere. $2000 doc fee is fine as long as it meets that price between my minimum and maximum I'll pay.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• davidleondavidleon Member Posts: 4
    After several visits to central and northern New Jersey Honda dealers, we were able to purchase a 2005 Honda Accord EX V6 with navigation for $25,300 plus documentation, title and tax on the fifth of January. We were also able to take advantage of the 1.9% financing offer from Honda that was available at the time. The MSRP of the car is $29,215. Aside from being patient is your negotiations, remember to consider the sales promotion, dealer advertising, dealer holdback and floorplan assistance when pricing your vehicle. Let me extend my gratitude for those who have posted their experiences on this forum. If you want another good resource, visit carbuyingtips.com. Thank you.
  • japultrajapultra Member Posts: 10
    I'm wondering what is a good price for an EX-4 auto (Northern Virginia). I have been going through these messages but haven't really found any quotes. I received 20,708 before Tax, tags, and fees(invoice is 20,608) from two dealers in No. VA by way of Internet quote. What do you guys think of this quote?
  • svec7186svec7186 Member Posts: 56
    hi, what dealership did you get this price from. i live in ny but am very close to nj. i'm looking for a new 2005 sedan accord ex v6 with nav.

thats a great price

thank you
  • anhandrewanhandrew Member Posts: 6
    Back in April of 04 I bought my

2004 Honda Accord EXL

4Cyl, 5spAT

MSRP = $24790

My Price = $21300 + $98 doc fee

I also wanted a 5yr/100k Honda Care warranty so we got it down to $785.00

It's a smoking deal.

Have fun!

Andrew

It had 2 miles on it when I got it. We drove it around with the stickers still on the car. They had to remove all the plastic off the seats for us to get in.

hey anhandrew, what dealership in NC did you get this from?
  • booradleebooradlee Member Posts: 3
    Hey all -- wondering if anyone has purchased a 2005 4-door Accord EX-trim with manual transmission in the SouthEast US? I'd be grateful to hear a price quote....

tx

Boo
  • svec7186svec7186 Member Posts: 56
    to davidleon, what dealership gave a price of 25300?

thanks
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    i've been waiting on this response, too. wonder if we'll get an answer.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    davidleon probably purchased a manual, demo or some other mitigating factor. 25300 is a good price OTD.
    it wasn't OTD. He said 25300 PLUS all other stuff.

According to the dealer I visited in Jersey, a manual equals LESS discounting. LOL!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Hello svec7186,

Let me first answer the questions of another poster; perhaps the post was unclear in these respects. The car we purchased was new 2005 Honda Accord V6 Automatic Sedan with navigation. Our negotiated price was $25,300 plus documentation, title and tax. svec7186, I did not give the dealership's name in the original post, because several dealers in the central and northern New Jersey area came close to our offer. DCH Academy Honda in Old Bridge, New Jersey met our price, but was unwilling to get the color we wanted. In the end, Madison Honda in Madison, New Jersey met our price and obtained the color we wanted. Before you rush over to either Madison or DCH Academy Honda and insist on this price because someone on Edmunds.com posted it, I encourage you to comparison shop Honda dealers in your vicinity. While there were a couple of dealers who were unwilling to even come close to our offer, some did come close and two dealers did meet our price. I also encourage you to visit carbuyingtips.com; it is a wealth of information. I hope this helps. Good luck.
    Ah... maybe it was not such a good deal. I received a quote of 25,580 EX V-6 auto NO nav... this was OTD drive it away it was really tempting.

I may comparison shop (cant hurt) and compare apples to apples. I suspect at the end of the day all the quotes will be within 2-300 bucks. It is kind of scewy comparing OTD with another vehicle in another state because taxes will be different for example NC has 3% tax on new cars.
    His is still a good deal, though, cause NAV adds so much to the price.

And, yes, OTD is not a good way to compare prices, that's why listing the offer BEFORE all the other stuff is the best way to go.

• homebayhomebay Member Posts: 3
    Want to buy a car. The lowest quote I get is $250 below invoice. Anybody has different quote?
  • clovisguyclovisguy Member Posts: 49
    I have one for $400 below invoice. I'll have to drive 180 miles to get it though. As other posters have stated here before, sometimes you have to be willing to travel out of your area for the best deal. Maybe, that's the best you can do now though. If you can wait you might get better offers latter in the month. As a former car salesman (10 years prior) I can assure you deals do get better at the end of the month.
  • xueliangxueliang Member Posts: 9
    I bought the 05 Accord LX Sedan Auto from Dearborn, MI on 12/30/04, I drove 45 miles to get it. The car price was $18300, plus 6% tax + doc fee. The out of door price was $19500. I also bought the 6 year/60k miles extended warranty for $800 ($50 deduction). My credit score is 755, the Honda fanical APR is 1.9% for 60 months. Can we do better?
    I have seen 05 Accord LX Sedan Auto for 19600 OTD including 6 year/60k miles Warranty. The car had 1.9 miles on it.
    you said you "bought" the car, "drove" to get it, and "bought" the extended warranty. By all of that, it looks to me like you already did the deal. So why are you asking if you can "do better"?

• rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    Are you sure it was 1.9% financing? The Honda website shows 2.9%. I thought the lower rate expired two weeks ago. Also, the 18,300 is $645 below invoice. This seems very good.
    Yeah, it seems the deal was much better back to last Dec. Now the finicial APR is 2.9% and it seems very hard to get the price you got.
    Thanks. if it is one way, 180 miles is a lot.

Is there any specific reason that the deal will get better at the end of month.
  • jbaerjbaer Member Posts: 45
    I was wondering if anybody had a link or msg # of the thread that talks about how to email/fax dealers when negotiating a price? I think I have the gist of it but am curious if people posted their emails/fax letters, etc. Thanks in advance
  • wvu1003wvu1003 Member Posts: 8
    I got the following results by emailing several dealers with an offer. I told them all that I was sending the same offer to multiple dealers. Completely straight forward. Then, when I got the offers, I went to a different dealer, and they beat the best price.

Thanks to all on the forum, I'm happy with the deal, and I'd recommend the dealer, too. (except they didn't give me a full tank of gas!)

2005 Accord EX-L, wheel locks and mud guards

249 doc fee

658 tax

43 license tax

49 DMV fee

OTD at $22,685

From West Broad Honda, Richmond, VA.
  • ex v6ex v6 Member Posts: 14
    Hi Every one, I am interested in a purchasing an EXL V6 and visited several dealers. The lowest offer I got was $23,995 including destination charges. Is this a good deal or can I do better if I waited little longer? I heard that some dealers offer you below invoice price and raise your interest rate even though you credit is good enough to qualify for the lowest rate they are offering. Is this true. If so, what can say to avoid getting ripped off? Thanks in advance.
    Hello ex v6,

The concensus on this forum appears to be that a credit score above 720 will ensure you the promotional interest rate. From your post, I gather that you live in New York. Unfortunately, New York residents are not entitled to a free credit report, from each of the three major credit reporting agencies, once a year. If you were a New Jersey resident you would be entitled to a free credit report once a year. Unfortunately, New York residents must also wait until September 1, 2005 to get their free annual credit report under the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions (FACT) Act through the AnnualCreditReport.com web site. However, you can purchase your credit reports and credit scores from the three major credit reporting agencies online through Experian.com, Transunion.com and Equifax.com. These web sites offer you the option to purchase all three credit reports plus one score online. If you have your credit reports and your score(s), no one can pull the wool over your eyes.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,055
    The key... Shop for financing before heading to the dealer.. Find out the best rate from your local credit union or bank..

Then you will know what is a good deal..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

It really helps to know your score and print a copy to take with you. An Experian score of 720 or above demands the best rate but a large down payment can help too if a rate is lower and you are very demanding. Below is the link for the credit company American Honda Finance uses. Besides the sore you will get a detailed explanation where you stand credit wise with the rest of the populaton and how good or bad a rate to expect. I was able to purchase a credit score for only $5.

http://experian.com/consumer/index.html
  • jbaerjbaer Member Posts: 45
    How did you get the email addresses of the dealers? Also what kind of offer did you start off with in terms of invoice price? Thanks for your advice.
    "The key... Shop for financing before heading to the dealer.. Find out the best rate from your local credit union or bank.."

Is a very good idea even if you do have a good score.

I see lots of posts lisitng price plus destination which really does not mean much at all.... what matters is out the door price or drive it away price.

Taking your credit score with you will mean nothing to the dealer as they will run a credit check anyways if you finance from them.

"How did you get the email addresses of the dealers? Also what kind of offer did you start off with in terms of invoice price? Thanks for your advice."

NEVER provide a dealer with an "offer" as the offer you give them may be more then what they would offer to sell to you. NEVER negotiate price! as you will be sure to lose.

What this boils down to is :

1. Shop around for the best intrest rate comparing apppels to apples.

2. Get the best out the door price comparing apples to apples.

3. NEVER offer or negotiate price as only the dealer knows his cost and profit is.

As popular as Hondas are if the dealer does not sell to you it is no loss for them as they will soon get what they want for the car anyways.

• lamsterlamster Member Posts: 5
    Folks,

Just became a proud owner of a New Accord EX 3.0 v6 w/ Navigation coupe (2 door).

Paid $ 25,600 for the car

Tax was $ 2,208 (8.625%)

$ 150 (Title and Licence fees)

$ 45 (Procession Fee for the dealership

$ 12.50 (NYS Tire Charge/Tax)

Total drive out is $ 28,015.50

I checked Edmunds TMV, Nada, and KBB and it appears that the invoice price for this car is around $ 26,400 so I am assuming I got a great deal on it.

Figure I share this with gang...

Total Drive out was
  • ex v6ex v6 Member Posts: 14
    Thanks to every one who took time to respond to my post. I have couple more questions. How do find out what the dealer cost is for an EX v6? I know the invoice price and I want to try to find a deal which is dealer cost + 5%. Also, my experian credit score is 755 and I have had a credit history that is longer than 5 years and have late payments. This should qualify me for the 2.99% APR. I heard that some 2005 new EXs have problems like they make cracking sounds. Is this a random thing or do many people have this problem? Thanks
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,150
    Edmunds shows a $500 cash to dealer. Did you subtract that to get the real invoice price to the dealer?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• carbuyer10carbuyer10 Member Posts: 6
    Hi Lamster

I am looking to buy a honda in a week. Where did you buy your honda? I am in Rochester NY.

Thanks.
    Imidazol97, To answer your question, yes I believe the $ 500 was already deducted on my cost since if you do a quote run on cardirect.com, it incorporated an dealer incentative to the figure to 26,650 which I beat by $ 50.

Carbuyer10, I bought my car from the NYC Honda Dealer in Manhattan (Potamkin Honda). I was very suprised that they matched the price on cardirect.

If you are serious on buying from them, I can let you know which salesperson I dealt with but keep in mind that that sales manager has the final say on any deals you give them.

Thanks

James
    Folks,

I meant 25,650 not 26,650... I paid 25,600 for it.
    Hi Lamster

Yes I am serious and want to buy the car next week. But I am looking for a EX-L [not V6], with out XM radio.

How to price this car the same way you did for your V6?.

Also please give me the sales person, and I will contact him.

Thanks.
  • richards38richards38 Member Posts: 606
    The EX-L (EX with leather) comes with the XM radio standard. If you don't want the XM radio, you can buy the EX Accord--no leather on that one and no XM.....Richard
    Thanks Richard. I am debating between getting the leather and not getting it. Here in Upstate NY it snows 4-5 months in a year..:)
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    You may NOT post the names of individual salespeople in the discussions - - - so please don't ask others to violate the Membership Agreement by requesting such information.

You can list dealership name, city, state. No phone numbers.
  • quachboiquachboi Member Posts: 1
    Accord Coupe EX V6 AT w/ XM Radio, w/o Navi in CA, LA county

25,310 OTD, good deal or not good deal?

What kinds of questions should I be asking for when I buy it?

- Does it come with floor mats?

- Do I get alarm?

- Can I reduce the price by taking out the unnessary features the car may have?
  • richards38richards38 Member Posts: 606
    Note that the leather seats in the EX-L are heated although by the time they warm up, they'd probably be warmed by body heat anyway.

The leather, driver's seat has an 8-way power adjustment and the climate system is dual/automatic.

There might be other features that the EX-L has over the EX, too. I bought the EX-L and glad that I did--it's more like a "near luxury" car than a common family sedan.

Note that the XM radio is fantastic--I drive very little but signed up for 3 years which works out to about $8 monthly. It's an extravagance, but makes driving very enjoyable......Richard
    We finally purchased a new Accord EXL(4) automatic sedan yesterday. I took a copy of an email quote for $22,296 plus fees from a dealer 180 miles away to a dealer 30 minutes from Clovis in Central California. They had the exact color in stock we wanted with only 13 miles on it and didn’t give us any resistance to match the price. We also got free wheel locks, plus the 2.9% financing. This price was $400 less then invoice and $500 less then the carsdirect.com price today for our zip code (93611). We were very impressed with the sales experience and love our new Honda Accord. I want to thank everyone on this and other Edmund boards for sharing their knowledge and experiences because it helped me know what to look for and get a very good price for this area at this time.
  • xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi All:

___This weeks ad still stands with a small kicker …

Grand Honda - Brand new (29 miles) 05 EX V6 4-door w/ Auto - $23,600 w/ another $200 off via an E-Mail promotion of some kind? Strange promotion but Grand does this kind of stuff …

DEAR WAYNE,

ADDITIONAL $200 OFF THIS WEEKEND, TOO MUCH SNOW !!!!!!

THANK YOU

Qxxxx Jxxxxx

GRAND HONDA

300 W GRAND AV

ELMHURST IL

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
  • prodigy99prodigy99 Member Posts: 2
    Purchased 2005 accord lx auto in SoCal for $17,875 + TTL. About $1,100 below invoice.

OTD paid $19,500.
  • wvu1003wvu1003 Member Posts: 8
    How did you get the email addresses of the dealers?

I requested quotes from carsdirect, cars.com, invoice dealers, etc.. The first emails I got from the dealers did not include prices. Then, I made my offer

Also what kind of offer did you start off with in terms of invoice price?

Invoice minus holdback minus floorplan for my EX-L was 21702. I figured that they had to still be making money on this figure, so I tried to get it lower. It worked. Bottom line, I think I got a good price, and the dealer made money.

Happy shopping...
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    If you click on the Get a price quote on a Honda Accord link near the top of the page it will take you to our dealer locator and let you email out to dealers in your area.
  • kevinmellonkevinmellon Member Posts: 3
    hi,

just came back from honda village in newton, ma. got 2005 v6 ex-l auto coupe for 23,600. seems like a reasonable deal. i did get screwed on trade in though. i traded in a 2001 civic auto ex with 68,000 miles on it and only got 6,500.
    hey wvu1003, how much did you end up paying for your accord ex-l? i'm trying to buy the same model and i brought your quote into my local dealership (duncan hokie honda) and they said they couldn't match it.
  • neichoneicho Member Posts: 3
    Clovisguy,

Did that price include the 515 Dollar Destination Fee. If So you got a good deal.