Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    sparky_jonessparky_jones Member Posts: 3
    Boch Honda has this price advertised on their website as the Internet Special. They don't mention that the price doesn't include destination. I guess most Boston area dealerships will be able to offer $18,888 + $635 destination for an LX-P if you negotiate.
  • Options
    colleenr74colleenr74 Member Posts: 3
    Hi...just bought the same car on 2/29 for $26,500 + TTL with a 2 year free maintenance agreement (oil changes, et. al) I'm pretty happy with the price. (Orlando area Honda Dealer) Happy shopping everyone! Good Luck! ;)
  • Options
    musicislifemusicislife Member Posts: 16
    2008 Accord EX-L 4Auto w/ splash guards and wheel locks
    $23,700 plus destination and $100 documentation fee. Probably not the best deal I could have gotten, but close. The salesman was complaining that he was only going to make $100 off this deal.
  • Options
    bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    As to the salesmen making only $100
    So, that is not our problem that their establishment runs that way. It is not our problem or concern, it comes with the territory, the job, and they chose to work there.
    Now, However, that does not mean that I am going to expect them to make $0 off the deal, but for them to mention that, is unprofessional! You win some, you lose some, and that kind of job is not entirely consistent on money anyway for that reason. They act like I am putting them out, hmm, well if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen!! lol seriously! I am here to buy a car, not make friends, but if your nice, and treat me well, well then you got yourself a customer for now and the future. I am not sure entirely if a dealer can decide to become non commission, but I think they can within reason, some Honda dealers are, so don't play games with me. The problem is now, people on here are informed, dealers have less of a leg to stand on!

I had 1 dealer say to me, well if we did this deal, we would no longer be in business.
    I am like hmmm, well 2 other dealers offered me this, so don't act like I am blind or stupid, because I know it can be done! lol haha!
  • Options
    sparklandsparkland Member Posts: 120
    Bug4--I am shopping at that particular dealership. The price was actually $24889 because there were a couple of dealer options that I did not realize were on the car already but not included in the window sticker, such as the Karr alarm.

So after checking other dealers it seems to be a good deal with the installed options mentioned earlier. When I go in to make the deal there should be some wiggle room in that price--not a bunch but $500 anyway.

Glad you like your car.

Brad
  • Options
    bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    Sounds like a fair deal! BTW, I had Go Honda take off the dealer-installed car alarm. My research indicated that I could get an equivalent or better alarm, after-market, for much less. Indeed, when the tech guy came and took the stuff out, I was AMAZED at what they were trying to charge me for. Consider having it taken out.

Also, I'm not sure you are an extended warranty type - but my experience at Go Honda was interesting. The finance guy offered me a HondaCare extended warranty (8yr/120k miles) for $2400.00 -- No kidding! That is the highest price I have ever heard of on this forum!!!!! When I showed him an online quote for the same HondaCare Warranty for $850, he didn't know what to say. Although I really liked my salesman, the finance guys at Go Honda are high pressure thugs!
  • Options
    Thanks, Bug4. I was considering taking out the profit maker Karr Alarm. Is it basically just a plug in device or will my wires forever show the effects of the surgical procedure?

I am not getting any better quotes from any dealers in the area. I have tried Costco auto, Sam's club, Coca-Cola discount, etc. and nothing makes much difference.

Later, Brad
  • Options
    Is it basically just a plug in device or will my wires forever show the effects of the surgical procedure?

I was concerned about the same thing. It is not simply "plugged in" as he did have to get underneath the dash and remove something. However, the wiring job was very simplistic, it took him less than 2 minutes to remove everything and, when it was all removed, everything looked brand new again. I even looked for evidence of a removed component or out-of-place wiring and couldn't find anything.

Good luck with your purchase and enjoy your new car!
  • Options
    joakesterjoakester Member Posts: 2
    I went to purchase an '08 Accord Coupe, v-6 manual w/o Nav, Grey/Beige this weekend. Of course it's impossible to find, but Santa Monica Honda has that exact car except WITH the Nav, which I can't afford (they were asking about $32k for it). On friday night, they were offering it at invoice (about $28k), but after dealing with the manager (I believe his name was Mr. Lee), I couldn't get the numbers to work (still too high for me). On Sat., I went to 5 other Honda dealers in SoCal and found one that would order me my car, but would sell it at MSRP (again about $28k). He said he could manage the deal I was looking for ($15k down and financing the rest at $300 a month for 60 months). Since the prices were similar, I went back to Santa Monica Honda and asked if they could get the deal to work with those numbers. Mr. Lee took my credit information and came back 30 minutes later and said "Well, if your credit was over 700, as you said you thought it was, I could have made this deal. But it came back 640, so I'm gonna need more money from you." I couldn't believe it. I couldn't make the numbers work, not to mention my girlfriend was upset that my credit wasn't as good as it should have been and had to hear a lecture all night about being more financially responsible. I was so bummed.

Anyways, I went out yesterday and found a great lease deal on an Audi A4 ($3k down, $300 a month, 36 months). When I was filling out my final paperwork, the finance manager had me sign for my credit report: it was well over 700 where it was supposed to be. I told him about Santa Monica Honda and he said it was on his report that they had checked it last night (meaning he could tell that Santa Monica Honda had the same numbers as him) and therefore they knew my credit score was higher than they told me. He also told me that he knew of Santa Monica Honda as being a very shady operation that has gotten in trouble a lot in the past for similar problems.

And for anyone that might think that they wouldn't have let me walk away if the numbers made sense...Santa Monica Honda called me this morning and said if I came back they could "probably" make that deal work. Told them I already got the Audi and then complained about the credit score. They said they'd have Mr. Lee call me to resolve the issue. Still waiting for that call...

Damn, and I REALLY liked that Accord.
  • Options
    bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Well, don't worry, the price Mr. Lee gave you was MSRP anyway, and really should have went down to $26 or so... Now it is the coupe, but some dealers are willing to offer closer to invoice. For the $28, you could have gotten the navi as well.
    I am sorry to hear you got treated so bad, they will treat you like road kill to get what they want. Lie, cheat and practically steal. At least you were smart and didn't go and do this deal. Some actually will, and while your driving off the lot in your new car, all the salesmen are laughing and smirking about you.

Oh well, you got a great lease anyway, the Accord coupe will still be there when you get done with this audi and by then they'll be more lenient.

Kinda reminds me of my local dealership, trying to tell me the way things are, when I can see right through them...

Be happy!

Remember though not all dealers are this way, but you have to be careful. Some don't care, and their out for blood.
  • Options
    chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    If your going to finance through the dealer, EVERYONE should know what their FICO score is beforehand. If this isn't illegal, (mis-representing a FICO score) it certainly should be.

Maybe someone should ask this question over at the "sales stories" board?
  • Options
    sparky_jonessparky_jones Member Posts: 3
    Boch Honda in Boston area is advertising the 2008 Accord LX Manual for $15,988. Add $800 for Automatic, and $635 destination, it would come to $17,423 before taxes, title and registration. That would be an awesome deal for a 2008 Accord LX. But I highly doubt something like this would actually materialize once you are at the dealership.
  • Options
    cliffclavencliffclaven Member Posts: 23
    Hello,
    I'm still (since Nov 07) trying to get a GREAT deal on a GREAT car. I want to find a Accord EX-L V6 w/Nav in Basque Red. It seems impossible to find one. :cry: I have been working with 4 dealers and seems like no one has one. This of course means that when one does come in i know they are going to want me to pay $$$ for it. I wanted to pay no more than 28,500 for the car, the best price i have been given for the car (just not Basque Red) has been 28,988. I have been reading the post off and on but wanted to know if others have see much better pricing. I will most likely have to travel to S. Cal from Boise, Id to get this price or ship the car up. Not sure how much that will cost me!
  • Options
    sunnfunsunnfun Member Posts: 168
    You could have gotten that deal OTD about 1 1/2 months ago in MD (using VA tax of 5% - not sure what ID's tax rate is). I saw that very car on the lot. In this area (DC) prices seem to be coming down so if you wanted to travel and really break in your new car :) you could look at Laurel Honda in Md. Not sure what their inventory is right now though.
  • Options
    applecore323applecore323 Member Posts: 41
    Assuming a sales tax of approx. 6% and fairly normal registration fees, it looks like a good deal. Could it be better? Hard to tell without knowing your tax rate, title and registration fees, and dealer document fees. My guess is this is a pretty good deal.
  • Options
    mokiavellimokiavelli Member Posts: 60
    I just went to their website and it is for all the the manuals in stock. In the fine print, it says price does not include tax, doc, title. So, it may already include the destination fee. It is a good deal if you want a manual LX.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    It may include destination, but it may not. The doc fee could be just about anything and many dealers will ask hundreds for doc fee alone. Add those things together and that could easily ad well over $1000 more to their listed price. So, until you know this, you really don't know if it's a good deal or not.
  • Options
    nmsgnmsg Member Posts: 39
    Just helped my dad buy his EX last week. We got it for 22K inclulding dest. and a trunk tray + TTL. After reading and researching in this forum, I believe it was a good deal. Thanks everyone.
  • Options
    lucky620lucky620 Member Posts: 26
    Just purchased at 08 EXL V6 w/Navi, Silver/Blk in North New Jersey. Dealer shows it being delivered in the next week.

$27,300. vehicle
    $368. 1/2 price on Honda factory accessory Remote Starter
    Total $27,668. no destination charge

Dealer charges: $299 Document Fees

Total $27,967.

New Jersey State Costs: (For the privilege to live in wonderful NJ!!)
    7% Sales Tax: $1937.
    Tire Tax $7.50
    New Plates/DMV Registration $255.
    Pretty sad when your state adds almost $2200 to the cost of your car.

Grand Total: $30,166.50
  • Options
    hondahawkhondahawk Member Posts: 16
    I have been quoted invoice 22,795 + dest + 150.00 advertising fee for a new coupe EX-L 5spd. The dealer however has to order the car, but said that they will still honor the quote.

First of all, is this a decent price at this time?
    Second, does anyone have any experience with ordering a new Accord directly from the manufacturer? What are the issues I need to be aware of with the trade and the deal itself?

Any constructive input would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • Options
    ursamajor1ursamajor1 Member Posts: 39
    Sounds like a good deal. That is the invoice price, and destination and the advertising fee are both paid by the dealer to Honda - they've got no choice, it's not discretionary, so they're just passing along their true cost. I haven't seen that many '08 sedans going out at invoice yet, and definitely not coupes. In essence, they're willing to get paid for your car from the holdback, plus any other incentive fees (units sold, etc.) that this sale helps qualify them for with Honda. They're probably willing to do this since they're not going to pay any flooring cost to keep the car in inventory, and if you back out of the deal a coupe wouldn't be that hard to move.

It's particularly attractive since coupes are fairly rare, so it's unlikely you would have found exactly what you were looking for, whereas now they'll let you choose your color, etc. Which dealer is offering you this deal? How long are they saying it will take for delivery? How much of a deposit are they asking for, and is any of it non-refundable?
  • Options
    vietviet Member Posts: 847
    you got good price. Congrats !
  • Options
    Yeah not bad!!! I used the internet to gather some prices from competing dealers along with Consumer Reports. The internet prices really helped because I could show the salesperson a piece of paper with the price right there. The internet also saved me from running around to all of those dealers to get prices. I ended up going to only 2 dealerships to negotiate.
  • Options
    That's a good price but not the best I've seen. I had an offer of 28500 OTD (Va taxes are 5%) for the Navi back in early Jan. I ended up going with the non-navi for various reasons. I think I could get the same 28500 price or even a little better right now on the Navi in the DC area.

Also- based on other posters here, I would double check when you get the car that they actually installed the Honda remote starter and not an after market one!!!
  • Options
    newcar4ericnewcar4eric Member Posts: 3
    Could you please let me know which dealership/salesperson you dealt with? I am also in Houston and I would love to get that price.
  • Options
    The dealer is David Hobbs in Milwaukee. They have been the nicest thus far in my search for a new coupe. The deposit will be applied against the price of the car, but if I back out of the deal I am not certain yet if it is non-refundable. I hope I wouldn't back out since I have been patient to wait until invoice prices became reality.

I think this is the best of both worlds for me, since I am willing to wait the 6-8 weeks. I get to pick my color and configuration and have the knowledge that the car hasn't been sitting on a snowy lot all winter long and tested by who knows...

This sounds like a win win for both me and the dealer so I hope it works out!

Thanks for your input. I don't yet know what the OTD price will be because we haven't factored in my trade. I actually have time between now and delivery of the coupe to try to sell it privately...which I have a good chance of given it is low mileage and in a popular niche for used cars.
  • Options
    mike3767mike3767 Member Posts: 5
    I am going tomm. to possibly buy a EX-L with navigation and did a TMV on edmunds. I'm a little confused on this. There are 3 columns. When I go to the dealer do I not pay more than the invoice or the TMV. The invoice is 28,039. What should the top dollar be that I pay for a vehicle of this kind?
  • Options
    fuzzydicefuzzydice Member Posts: 9
    i too am looking the same car. assuming that i would have to order it, is it possible to get a lease on a car that is being ordered? should i tell them ahead of time that i plan on leasing, ie. if i have to wait 6-8 weeks?
  • Options
    billtetzbilltetz Member Posts: 7
    After initially getting quotes via internet from 21 central Florida dealers (plus quotes for the Nissan Altima & Hyundai Azera, before deciding on the Accord), I continued to work with 9 or 10 closest to my home in Marion County. From that smaller number I asked for out-the-door quotes, so as to eliminate them adding "protection packages" & the like, as most were doing, to their initial quotes.

I finally got what seems like an extremely good (& if one believes some of the other dealers, money-losing) quote from one within 40 minutes of my home, as follows:

car $25,113
    dealer fee 299
    tax 1551
    tag & gov
    fees 237
    Total $27,200

I'll actually be transferring a tag, so the total'll be more like $27,100.

This seems like a heckuva deal, as the car's invoice, including destination fee, is $26,051. So I'm getting the car at $938 under invoice, or $639 under if you include the dealer fee as part of the car's price. Either way it seems like a great deal (my next best OTD quote was $421 more), so I put down $500 on my credit card to reserve it. It's supposed to be manufactured in a couple of weeks, available to me the last week of March.

I only wanted the car in bold beige metallic, & only 2 of the dealers I communicated with had the EX-L V6 in that color in stock.
  • Options
    chd1chd1 Member Posts: 8
    I believe you, but that almost doesn't seem possible.
  • Options
    It's supposed to be manufactured in a couple of weeks, available to me the last week of March.

This may not be relevant to your situation -- but it might . . . you might check with your dealer on the statement you made above.

It is my understanding that a dealer can't order a specific car from Honda. Honda does not fill orders. Rather, production only takes place on a single model, all of the same color with identical configurations and accessories. Once a run of identical cars is complete, they are allocated to dealers. (This is why virtually all of the 08 Accords that hit the streets when they were first released were silver - at least in my region). It is at THAT POINT, that EVERYONE in the Honda system has access to how the cars have been allocated. From what I understand, any dealership can steal a car allocated to another dealership as long as it has not been shipped and as long as the stealing dealership has a deposit and a commitment to purchase from a real buyer. In other words, as long as they have a real purchaser, any Honda dealer can steal an allocated car from any other dealer.

Perhaps your dealership has found an allocated car and submitted the paper work to have it reallocate to them? Perhaps one of the Honda salesmen on this forum can confirm whether or not my understanding is accurate. . . .
  • Options
    Check message #19551. You are the 2nd person to get this car at a steal (The other was $25165). I just can't believe they are giving the cars away now. Just 6-8 weeks ago you were lucky if you got it under $26. Something's going on besides the economy.....
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    The sedans are probably in very good supply now, so no reason not to discount as much as possible.
    They still seem short on coupes due to limited production, so it will take longer for demand to be filled.
  • Options
    kilnkiln Member Posts: 41
    Which dealership in Central Florida?
  • Options
    I don't see why not. Leasing the car is only one avenue to the same end as far as the dealer is concerned. They still make a sale and you still get to drive the car. The way it works is that you put a deposit down and worry about the financing closer to the delivery date of the vehicle on the lot. Since the order-build-delivery process takes 6-8 wks you don't worry about financing until you are at least within 30 days of delivery. It's all based on credit and any score is only valid for 30 days. So, when I ordered, we discussed the price, but not the financing options. That bridge will still have to be crossed and if the deal falls through, they won't have difficulty moving the car-believe me.

I am ordering because I am picky. If you have any tolerance for a different color or a different transmission, etc you might fare well with a car in an existing inventory. On the other hand, if you are patient and willing to wait for exactly what you want, then I'd pursue the order route. Supply on coupes is just not overly abundant right now.

Good luck to you!
  • Options
    rkh29rkh29 Member Posts: 9
    Stopped on my way home at Capitol City Honda to see what cars they had on the lot -quite a few. Looked at V6s and 4s and pretty much decided to go with a 4 and planned to test drive later. I asked a salesman how much over invoice they would sell them for and he said he would have to check with sales manager but they would "work" with me and meet others prices. He thought $400 or $500 over invoice. I returned with my wife several days later and he still did not have a price but we took a red 4 out to test drive and liked it. I wanted the ivory L interior and liked red better than beige. After the drive I again asked price and reminded him that he said they would match prices and handed him an email from an Oregon dealer that offered one $100 under invoice. $23,392 plus dealer added stuff (about $400 of added stuff). I had emailed asked the Oregon dealer about other fees and nothing about document fees but said I would need a $70 license to drive to WA. He took it inside and came back and said they would match it plus their dealer added stuff. Total stick tag on car was $29,055, with Decor package (pinstriping and door edge protection, @ $150, Splash guards @ $159, Cargo tray @ $169, and wheel locks @ $84. Having no better luck with WA and only one OR dealer I thought that was a good price and had actually planned to pay several hundred over invoice to get it closer to home (70 miles to Olympia & 160 to Portland). Eventually I was offered a different red car with less miles and no decor package, but I agreed to pay the "list price" for the decor (which I liked) and the splash guards. I suggested the trunk tray was too much and got it for $90 and I said I did not want the wheel locks. He claimed they were charged labor to remove them so they were included at no cost. The final number for car was $24,386.78 which included decor, splash guards, tray, and wheel locks. Tax here is a pricely 8.7% @ $2121.65.
    The very variable document fee was $50. I had a 2007 Honda Accord that I was keeping, so no trade in. I was allowed to put $3000 on my miles CC and paid balance when I picked up car. I suggested putting the whole payment on my CC but they not surprisingly, they declined. We had been told we could get free car washes and when we went to get the car, I asked if could get a wash for my old Honda and salesman had it washed and later went to parts a got a bottle of touch up paint (no charge), car was filled with gas, and told first oil change was free (standard practice, I believe). In summary, not the best deal in the country, but for WA or OR, I was happy to get it from a dealer relatively close to home.
  • Options
    billtetzbilltetz Member Posts: 7
    I'm reluctant to reveal the name of the dealership I'm getting the car from until I've actually driven it away. I'll do so at that point, or in a private email if your address becomes available.
    In reply to other responses:
    I didn't actually order the car, nor did the dealer order it for me. When I was soliciting quotes he told me it was slated for production on a certain date, & they'd receive it shortly after that. Based on that I put down a deposit to hold the car for me. So, perhaps Honda's manufacturing a mess of bold beige metallic Accords later this month, & each dealer will receive a handful.
    I understand some may find this OTD price ($27,200) hard to believe. That's why I'm reluctant to name the dealer 'til the deal's done. I'll post with the result after I return with the car later this month or, worst case scenario, after I cool down after finding out something's amiss.
    We just gave our '01 Maxima to our son, who's taken it to Chicago. So we're now stuck with just a 98 Grand Prix, so you can imagine how anxious I am to get my new Accord. But no, not so anxious as to get stuck paying more than the price I've been given.
  • Options
    inquisitivemaninquisitiveman Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone purchased this model? I was trying to find out what you paid before TTL since TTL varies by region of U.S. I don't mind if you provide the drive out price(TTL, fees, included) also. There are no options on the LX as opposed to the other models according to Edmund's site. Edmunds has an invoice and TMV, but i want to know from people who actually bought this model on what they paid for it. I appreciate it since i am in the market to buy one very soon.
  • Options
    abhikuabhiku Member Posts: 124
    Which dealer you got your car from?

Did you added destination charge in the cost? As per your post: $27668 doesn't include destination charge then added all fees make total $36166.50.

I have factory invoice & it shows price on EX-L V6 with Nav is $27404 + 635 Destination charge.

Thanks
  • Options
    roverhaterroverhater Member Posts: 10
    I just ordered a coupe ex-l 4cyl no nave last night. I was given the internet quote below,

Honda MSRP Price $26,495.00

Destination Charge Included

Additional Options

Internet Sale Price Inc. Coupon -$200 $23,736.33

Documentary Service Fee
    $250

Sales Tax** 7.75%
    $

Title Fees $25.50
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Wrong.

Dealers can't "steal" cars from one another. This would create a war if this were the case. What we can do, is look to see who is getting what and WITH THE OTHER STORE'S permission do what we call an "Intergalactic swap".

This way the car they would be receiving get's redirected to us.
  • Options
    Car was $27,300 they did not charge the destination charge, I closed out the deal and got the car this afternoon. Final cost was the 27,300...299 documents....$27599 then $368 for the Honda Remote starter,(1/2 price) and NJ Tax at 7%, ($1900+) and $255 for plates and registration and don't forget the $7.50 tire tax! Total for everything came to $30,014 OTD. Garden State Honda, Route 3, Clifton, NJ
  • Options
    ilcarilcar Member Posts: 1
    Very interested in pricing Honda accord V6 EX L with Nav.

Got one quote for $28000 plus tax and title and lic plates incl dest.

Is this a good price??

Thanks
  • Options
    vietviet Member Posts: 847
    It's a good price.
  • Options
    abhikuabhiku Member Posts: 124
    That's good..if they intentionally didn't charge the dest. charge or you were lucky if they forget about it:) I'm sure they can't forget about it.

Enjoy your new car..
  • Options
    Is this a 2Dr or 4Dr? Depending on where you are located - you can do better than that on the 4Dr. They are not selling and I had a better offer than that back in Jan.
  • Options
    I got a quote for $29,706 on that car which did not seem so good. It has $900 in options. So I would definitely say my dealer price is way to high.
  • Options
    Here is the bottom line. The price I was quoted for the car 2008 Accord EX-L 4dr, 4cyl, auto, w.out NAV was $24888. The MSRP plus options was $2885. The $3999 discount seemed fair. That deal was supposed to be just for the Presidents Day when I first looked at the car at GO Honda-104th in Denver

Went back yesterday and wanted to look at the car again and test drive it. Was trying to get the deal done with a lease and they said the sticker should have been removed and that the price tomorrow if I leave the store would be $1500 more. They even went out and ripped off the sales sticker. It seemed plausible because the sale might have been over. The salesman said the manager wondered where I got that quote in the first place and that it would only be honored today.

The other similar cars around the one I wanted did have stickers that gave just a $2500 discount. This one had a couple more options but had been in inventory awhile--hence the discounted price, I believe. Also polished metal with gray leather may or may not be poplular.

I was a little put off by the tactics but I took it home to show my wife. She loved the car but didn't like the extra money we would pay for the lease. $340 a month for 36 months with $2000 down and residual of 61.1% or $16,600. I just could not really afford the $579 per month they wanted to buy the car with 6.19% financing or I would have gone that route.

So the car is still there today, but with a higher price tag supposedly.

So I will never know if I had a really good deal or a typical sales tactic. I must say though that they were never really high pressure. Just let me take my time for the most part.

Guess I will waiting for some used 2008's to come into the market in a couple of years.

Have a great day and hope your shopping experiences are enjoyable. My son and I had fun.

Brad
  • Options
    Just stopped by the dealer and they were not bluffing. The price of the car was raised $500 and the included Karr security system ($595) was removed. Effectively the price of the car was raised $1000.

Thanks, Brad
  • Options
    Not lucky, I told them that no destination charge would have to be part of the deal to make it go along with the Honda remote starter.