Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• runpantherrunpanther Member Posts: 44
    $365 below invoice in Orlando plus the $1500 rebate (total $1865 below invoice).
  • templehotempleho Member Posts: 1
    Ok I'm a little confused and how on what kind of deal I should get on Elantra GT I've been looking and got the offer to be out the door after tax, tag, and title for $15,000 it's listed at 16,500 is this a good deal theres a 1,500 dollar rebate right now and I'm not really sure? I'd appreciate any help thanks.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    We can be of more help to you if you give us more info about the car (stick vs. auto, options package) and the dealer's offer before tax, tag and title. Since those vary so much by location, it's hard to compare to other deals.
  • gotbgotb Member Posts: 39
    What would you choose between 03 Corolla and 03 Elantra GT? I like Elantra GT but still concerned about its reliability. I'd rather have a car that doesn't break than fix frequently for free. There was a user website for car reviews and the people who wrote there seemed have their 01-02 elantra fixed for something whereas many Corollas never had to fix anything...
    That's easy. If it's what I would choose, it would be an Elantra GT, for the following reasons:

* Great driver's seating position in GT, poor in Corolla (for me)
    * Value
    * Smell (GT smells like leather, Corolla can smell like rotten eggs due to oft-reported problem with catalytic converter, which I experienced first-hand on a rental)
    * Warranty (Corollas are reliable, but not trouble-free; check out the Corolla forum to see what troubles owners of the '03 have had)

But it's not my decision. You said you don't want a car that will break. The Corolla has a better reliability record than the Elantra (although my '01 GLS, one of the first 1000 shipped to the U.S., has been as reliable as any Honda or Toyota I've owned) so you might be happier with it. Especially if the first time the Elantra has a problem, you would tend to say "I knew it! Cheap Korean piece of trash!" and regret your decision. But I encourage you to drive both cars, since many people have reported the driving position on the Corolla is uncomfortable and that it has a rotten-egg exhaust smell (it was really bad in the rental I drove last week).
  • mrvanmrvan Member Posts: 17
    I agree with backy.

I chose the Elantra GT. I'm very happy. Drive 'em both.

I'd add to his reasons the practical aspects of a 4-door hatchback and the nice features of the GT like leather seats.
  • Guru2uGuru2u Member Posts: 3
    Phoenix, Arizona here. I've been reading quite a few posts on this board recently regarding the prices others have been paying for the Elantra GLS. I'm in the middle of negotiations with several dealers and am beginning to think the pricing being offered to me by the dealers has more wiggle room given that there may be Manufacturer to Dealer incentives out there. Here's where I'm at:

Elantra GLS Automatic: Invoice - $12,605
    Accessory Group 4: Invoice - $1,173
    Destination Charge: $525

Total Invoice: $14,303

Dealer offered me the car at $14,064, Tax of 1139.24 (8.1% tax rate here), a 229 document fee and 267.17 for license. That brings the car to $15,700. Apply the current rebate of $1,500 and his out the door price to me is $14,200.

I'm flexible with respect to financing. I can either pay cash or take any special financing they may have. Just wondering what the thoughts of others are regarding the offer made to me. Any room for further discounts off the $14,200? Thanks in advance for any responses!!
    This seems like a good deal to me except for the doc fee; $229 seems really high to me. Did you ask the dealer what it's for? You could try negotiating it away (or at least down) by finding out what it's for, and if it's for, say, taking the paperwork to the courthouse, you could offer to do that yourself if they waive the fee. Otherwise you are getting the car well below invoice before rebate, which means the dealer is either dipping into its holdback or has some other incentive to apply--maybe both. Another good thing is that it appears they are not charging you an advertising fee, unless they have built that into their invoice price. Did you compare the dealer's invoice price to the one on Edmunds.com? If you want to find out how good a deal it is, you could always go to another dealer and see if they can beat it significantly; if not it's probably a good one.
  • Guru2uGuru2u Member Posts: 3
    Backy,

I agree on your assessment of the doc fee…$289 does seem excessive! I think that is an area I can further reduce the cost when I meet face to face with the dealer!

I performed my research on Edmunds prior to contacting the dealers. It has come in handy as my negotiations have progressed. There have been some inconsistencies with regards to invoice/msrp, etc, however, the bottom line has been progessing in the right direction. All of my request for quotes have specified the need to receive detailed specifics on the base cost of the vehicle, options, destination charges, T+T+L, and any “Applicable Fees”.

I’ve had several offers, one of which quoted me an out the door price of $14,200. Today, I had another dealer quote me the same configuration at $14,066.00 out the door! Roughly $135.00 less! I’m probably nearing the event horizon regarding the dealers ability to drop their prices, however, I’m thinking of dropping in on the dealer and making a cash offer at ~$500 less than the quote of $14,066.00. I have other options that I am researching at this time and don’t think that I stand to lose anything with this strategy.
  • gotbgotb Member Posts: 39
    I test drove a Sentra LE and I really liked its power and handling for its low price. The dealer I bought had 2003 Sentra LEs with floor mats, in-cabin microfiler and mud guards for $14,200(with $1500 rebate) and out the door price was $14,702(no dealer processing fee in Maryland). I could get a base Elantra GT for $13,000 before TTL but I thought Sentra LE was better deal with ABS and a powerful engine that makes me grin everytime I drive. It has 165HP at 6000 rpm and 175 torque at 4000rpm. I have 500 miles on my Sentra LE and love it so far.
  • delmcgeedelmcgee Member Posts: 3
    Received quote on a GLS with auto transmission and air. Vehicle invoice is $13,145 including Destination charge.
    Quote: $12,498 less $1,500 rebate for a total of $10,998. TT&L in Texas is $881, so the drive out price is $11,879. What do ya'll think?
    Went back to the dealer and negotiated additional $500 off the price. I bought the GLS for $10,488 after rebate. TT@L was another $846, for total drive out of $11,366. I appreciate all the great comments in this forum.
    I learned some great negotiating skills at www.carbuyingtips.com
  • jackliuliujackliuliu Member Posts: 1
    Any body has any information for that? Thanks.
  • spamletspamlet Member Posts: 22
    I would first check out Suntrup Hyundai in South County. They have a website with specials and who to contact on it (I don't want to get deleted for posting a link, but Google will find it).

I, as well as others, will tell you to avoid St. Charles Hyundai AT ALL COSTS. They are awful and they really, really put the squeeze on anyone that test drives a car. They called me for two weeks after I drove mine.

There is a new dealer open in O'Fallon somewhere offering some extra deals (a cruise, IIRC) that you may want to check out also.

I bought from Suntrup and will do again with my next car.
  • ramblin_moramblin_mo Member Posts: 29
    Dean Team in Ballwin was running a 1% over invoice sale. + $1500 rebate or 0% 60mo?

Not sure if it is still going on. Anyone have experience dealing with them?
  • galant56galant56 Member Posts: 4
    Sacramento's Maita Hyundai selling GLS for $8988, 4 cyl stick shift Santa Fes $16,000. Base Accents are $6488. Elantra has much better bucket seats than the Santa Fe. Elantra's advertised price a thousand less than a month ago.
  • ramblin_moramblin_mo Member Posts: 29
    Does this mean that trade in value is around $4999?

Bummer
    yes, or a lot sooner if you beat it up and don't take care of it and drive 40,000 miles a year. But to your point (I think), one of the reasons the resale values for Hyundais are lower than for Hondas and Toyotas is that the purchase prices are a lot lower also.
  • vega1979vega1979 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a brand new 2003 Elantra in Raleigh, NC. It's light gray (pewter as Hyundai calls it) with dark gray interior, automatic, with standard features. The sticker price on the lot was $14,300, but I got the salesman to knock off $500 because I saw a similar Elantra next to it that was priced at $13,800 but had the same exact options listed on the sticker, except it was the darker gray. We later found out that the one I bought had a different suspension. I also got a $1,500 rebate, bringing the price to $12,300 -- not bad, I guess. I finally put down about $2,300 that I got as a result of an insurance claim from my other car, which was totalled a month before. After tax and all the fees, I only financed $11,400. I'm paying about $223 a month for it. It's a very nice car for the price I paid, and I hope it turns out to be a good investment!
  • tmanttmant Member Posts: 70
    I've been itching for this moment for over a year now, but I have my Peoplefirst.com check in hand and I'm ready to get me my GT hatchback!

Unfortunately, it does not seem like many of those to choose from here in Houston. I'm getting the AUTO (wife can't drive manual) and hopefully the ABS/moonroof package.

The pricing I have gotten so far is just slightly higher than invoice. I'm looking at right under $14000, which includes the $1500 rebate, but not TTL or destination.
    I read my numbers wrong, it's right under 13500 instead of 14000.

Hope I don't make that same mistake when I sign on the dotted line!
  • lliang88lliang88 Member Posts: 3
    Suntrup Hyundai in St Louis sells Elentra (not very much) below invoice. However, the following items are added to the invoice as "required":
    Predelivery inspection and paint/fabric warranty, $399 ad fee, and $99 for license and title (a temp license and the form to apply the title yourself). That is about $1000! According to its internet manager, those charges are backed by the owner and charged to all customers by any Hyundai dealer. Watch that...
    According to its internet manager, those charges are backed by the owner and charged to all customers by any Hyundai dealer.

The part about "any Hyundai dealer" is absolutely not true. I paid (nor was asked to pay) any of these charges when I bought my Hyundai.
  • spamletspamlet Member Posts: 22
    I still got a great deal on mine (don't remember how much I paid), but knowing it could have been $1,000 less...

Maybe I won't be so willing to shill for them :(
    The dealership I recently went to had $895 Environmental Protection Package and $295 Pinstriping. AND another sticker about $299. I asked about all of them, the $895 EPP is some coating for the paint, but they could not produce any documentation on what it did for me. Said it was optional, but it didn't seem optional from the sticker (not on the same manufacturer sticker). The pinstripe has already been done, but I don't care for it. The $299 was basically a coupon book, optional as well. They just make it seem like its required.
    Of course they make it seem like it's required. It's almost pure profit for them. Some people will give in to charges like, that, or some of it, and that's why some dealers do it. Others will say "thanks, but if you don't remove these extra charges I will take my business elsewhere" and the dealer will probably give in. Pinstripes can be removed. If you say "Yuk, I just can't stand those pinstripes and won't buy the car with them on it!" watch how fast they will come off. Some dealers don't seem to realize that this is a tough market in which to sell cars and they face tough competition. These tactics are like those used by Honda and Toyota dealers in the past, when those brands were in very high demand. It's a shame that some Hyundai dealers are copying these tactics. Fortunately, I haven't yet run into them at Hyundai dealers in my area.
    Woohoo, it's sitting in my garage! ABS model was not to be found so I settled for just the sunroof (and AUTO, wife wouldn't budge and even leaned towards the 4dr, whew!).

$16700 (sticker + dest)

$13700 was my price (1500 rebate applied)
    $900 TTL and various fees
    $1100 extended warranty & gap insurance

$15700 before financing fees.

FYI the 10yr extended warranty was 1259 and I asked if he could give me a better price and did, for 959. I had a hard time deciding to get the warranty or go with breakdown insurance with GEICO. I figured it would be alot less hassle and more piece of mind, let's hope so.
    Congrats on your new GT! The extended warranty should give you peace of mind plus should increase resale value if you get rid of it before 10 years/100,000 miles.
  • iml8iml8 Member Posts: 10
    Just bought a '03' Gt 4dr, 5 spd, Moonroof but no ABS.

$13995.00 out the door. That's what I wrote the check for.

There was no price break for a cash deal.
  • chiyochiyo Member Posts: 18
    I visited the dealership today, and the sales guy said he can work from $12,500 ~ $12,000. I feel like I can negotiate Elantra GLS auto for about $11,000-11,500 before TL. Would that be a good price? It's St.Louis area.
    I've seen base GLS (w/auto) in Houston for under $11,000, which includes the $1500 rebate. As long as you are not too far over invoice you should be fine.

I'd say right around 11,500, after rebate and destination charge, but before TTL and fees. Any cheaper would just be icing on the cake.
  • gserep1gserep1 Member Posts: 92
    Hello,
       I purchased a new 2003 Elantra GLS Automatic with Option 2 package of upgrades...cassette stereo, trunk cargo net and floor mats ($400.00). The sticker was $14,500 and I was able to get $500 over invoice. I was not ready for the hassle of my life, however. I believe that every trick in the book was tried, and in the end I can truly say that it was not worth it. The buying experience was HORRIBLE.

The car was purchased for my college aged daughter, and we went in JUST to look (you know how that goes) while enroute to do other things that day. 4 hours later, we finally drove out. I blame myself because I got up to leave, but my daughter and wife really wanted to get a car. I should have done as I first had the mind to do, and go elsewhere. I had to do the negotiations, because I could see how this outfit operated. Their plan was to go as deep into my pocket as possible, all the while acting as though I didn't know what they were doing.

First off, I like to make the first offer on a vehicle I intend to buy, but the dealer insisted on making the first offer. They initially marked the car up $2000.00, saying that that was just in case I needed some room on a trade or had poor credit (a likely story). It was designed to set the tone and peel me off the ceiling, and hopefully cause me to feel good about paying MSRP. No such luck. I stuck to my guns and demanded to see the invoice. 30 minutes of stalling and it finally came out.(13,500). I offered $500 over invoice (should have stayed at 300.00 over), minus the 1500.00 rebate, for a total of 12,500 + tax license and various fees.

Then I was asked "what kind of monthly payments I wanted", effectively trying to turn me into a "payment" buyer. I saw that one coming and stayed on course as a "cash" buyer. They are masters at the art of deception...or tried to be.

Along the way, I was offered a warranty designed to increase the bumper-to-bumper coverage from the factory supplied 5 years/ 60,000 miles, to 5 years 100,000 miles...only trouble was, they wanted 1500.00 for that..NO WAY. It was a struggle from beginning to end, and not one I would likely repeat again with these guys.

I DID opt for a $400 GAP insurance plan to cover the vehicle in case of collision loss or theft. It will make up the difference between the low blue book and the owed amount. I agonized quite a while over this one, but with a youthful driver as primary operator, I relented at the last minute in finance.

All in all, it is a great car, but the deal really sucked, when you factor in the aggravation and general overall "grinding" that took place. They don't give me any warm fuzzies about the way things are run.

There is one revenge though...the CSI (Customer Satisfaction Index marks are coming, and I will get my pound of flesh..(sad as that may seem). If I had a car to trade in, or had a low FICO score I could see that. But we have excellent credit, and there was no reason for treatment like that. I don't think anyone should put up with that, and I won't again.

By the way, the selling dealer was TEAM Chevrolet / Hyundai in my home city of Vallejo, California. They are part of the Barber Group of dealers in this area. I bet I get a call once these scores go in. They are already buttering me up for good scores by sending letters from the manager and salesman asking for favcorable consideration. Kinda late for that in my book.

GSEREP
    Thanks for sharing your tale, which will help others avoid such tactics. You're right, they did seem to use almost every trick in the book--although you didn't mention hiding the keys of your trade-in, or adding extra fees for things like "advertising", or trying to add the "appearance package" of pinstripes/sealant/etc. IMO you were pretty generous in your offer of $500 over invoice, before the rebate. Dealers in my area would jump at that kind of offer I think, since the car market is in a slump and the Elantra isn't exactly in short supply. Anyway, now that's its a done deal, try to put it behind you (after filling out the survey and telling all your friends, co-workers, and relatives about the dealer) and enjoy your new car.
    Ouch, sorry to hear your experience was not that great. I feel like I got a heck of a deal compared to you with my 959 extended warranty (10yr 100000mi) and 166 gap insurance.

I brought in my peoplefirst.com check so I don't know if that helped me any. The salesman was very insistent on getting good marks on a survey I will be getting since he claims he gets $150 or so per Hyundai he sales directly from Hyundai, so long as his rating is good. Besides, I went with what they were advertising in the newspaper so they didn't have much room to screw with me, I think!
  • bshickbshick Member Posts: 3
    I just wanted to see what your opinions were on the following deal I was offered today for a 2003 Elantra GT 4-door with sunroof option:

MSRP: $15,689.00
    Offer: 14,896.00 after rebate!! (technically $200 over MSRP)
    Trade in value: $4,500 for 2000 elantra GLS, AT, 37,000 miles (I still owe $6000 on it)

At first, they tried to tell me they were giving me a great deal..it was only going to cost me about 270/month. So I asked them to show me a print out of how each figure they were working with, and that's when I saw the horrible price they were giving me on the car, plus the 72 month loan they calculated it with. They were shocked when I said I wanted a better deal, and when I told them the price was high and I didn't want to lose money on my trade-in, they beat around the bush saying I'm not losing money on my trade-in (which i'm obviously losing $1500 on). The manager even came out to bargain with me, but made no remotely reasonable offer. The dealer I dealt with was Dickson City Hyundai in PA. Please let me know your opinions on this, and what sort of deal would be reasonable for my situation. I was hoping I could get a good deal on the trade in, but in reality I'll most likely have to sell it to get a fair price for it.
    It's best to keep negotiations on your trade separate. First agree on the price of the new car, then ask how much they will give you for your trade. Much clearer that way.

As for the price on the new car, Edmunds.com's TMV calculator says that for Dickson City (18519), the TMV is $14,553 for a pewter GT equipped as you said. That's before the $1000 rebate. So if I were you I'd set $13,553 as my maximum price. But you are in a great position because it's almost the end of the month. In fact, I've heard from authoritative sources that the best time to buy a car in any given month is a couple of days before the end of the month. I don't recall the exact reason but it has to do with dealer incentives to sell certain numbers of cars. So what you might do is go to the dealer on Thursday night, TMV report in your pocket, and tell them you will buy the car that night for, say, $13,250 (below invoice, but they can still make money due to holdbacks and dealer incentives). If you can arrange financing, bring a cashier's check for $13,250 with you. That will show them you mean business. If they say no and refuse to give you a reasonable counteroffer, say thank you, pick up your check and walk out. And see if they call you back on Friday. I'll bet they do.
  • bshickbshick Member Posts: 3
    thanks for the tips.....hopefully they'll eventually be reasonable with the price, but the biggest sticking point is getting a better trade in value. Is it realistic to think they'll give me a good deal on the new car price and a good deal on the trade in?? As I was leaving they actually mentioned giving me $5500 for the trade in but I said I didn't want to take less than I owed on the payments. Let me know....thank you
  • el_kabongel_kabong Member Posts: 4
    I just wanted to get a sanity check on the numbers being offered by my local dealer for a 2003 GT hatchback, 5spd with package 7

Invoice: $15371 ($362 more than Edmunds)
    they offered: $15271
    rebate: $1500
    Total: $13771
    tax (3%): $413.13
    tags: $61
    doc fee: $289.50

No mention of other fees or charges, a plus for the dealership, but when I went by on Monday, no GT hatches at all, let alone 5sp.

I don't want to pay the doc fee, but I'd pay that if they agree to use Edmunds.com invoice instead of theirs (where did they get that invoice #?) Of course ideally I'd get Edmunds invoice and no doc fee.

Am I crazy?
    Is it realistic to think they'll give me a good deal on the new car price and a good deal on the trade in??

In a word--no. But miracles do happen sometimes.

Re the doc fee, it's outrageous. What I would do is ask what it covers, and if it's for running paperwork to the courthouse etc., offer to take it there yourself.

As for the invoice not matching Edmunds, I've heard of some dealers adding an "advertising fee" to the invoice. You can ask if that is what they've done here. Some dealers consider it non-negotiable, which is fine, but IMO they should make it clear that they are charging it. Some dealers don't charge that fee. Also, see my note above re buying at the end of the month. For the next couple of days you have maximum leverage. They'll really want to sell you that car now. So stand firm.

P.S. I wish I lived in your state--$61 for tags and $400 tax on a $15,000 car is great! I'd pay about $300 for tags and nearly $1000 in tax.
    Thanks for the advice. I've never paid doc fees before, and on my last new car I got the dealer to split the tax and tags with me.

Our local Hyundai dealer advertises "outlet pricing" and seems to have given me a pretty good deal right off the bat, particularly considering the fact that he doesn't have any GTs on the lot right now, so he seems to be moving them pretty quickly.

As for the tax and tags, they're nice and low, but we make up for it with the gas tax.
  • iml8iml8 Member Posts: 10
    See message 395.

Add to that Tinted Glass on all 5 windows for $13995.

Tax is 6% in MI

No Doc fee

No advertising fee

Vehilce MSRP: $15639.00

Check w/ www.carsdirect.com
             www.brownautomotive.com
    So with double the tax rate you still got it for only $200 more than what they're offering as a starting point. TMV is $15,178, but applying the rebate to that (am I reading TMV right?) puts it at $13,678, giving a little for TT&L I think I can live with 14k out the door, the fact that they'll get the entire holdback should make them a bit more amenable to that.

If this works, this board will have saved me about $250 on the purchase price (assuming I purchase one, since I have yet to drive one). Thanks!
  • whipl50whipl50 Member Posts: 2
    Test drove a pewter 4 dr. GT last week, loaded with everything but auto, I like to row my own. ABS, traction, moonroof, everything.

Sticker was $16,214. Found the same car on another lot, and got a quote from both. After all was said and done, the lot that I test drove the car gave me a price of $14,670. Subtract out the rebate, and it came to $13,170.

Thought maybe they'd get me in doc fees or something, but the fee's were posted in the F&I manager's office at $52 for all transactions, very fair IMO. I did end up adding gap insurance for $3/month. Wife needs to cosign the loan, then I pick up the vehicle on Thursday.

Very happy with the process. Terry's Hyundai in Tinley Park, IL. They were low pressure and a pleaure to deal with.
  • uvaswaniuvaswani Member Posts: 2
    I am from columbus OH, I bought a new 2003 Elantra GLS auto yesterday, with keyless entry, cruise control,AM/FM and cassette player and rest of the standard features. after rebates got it for $11,400 + tax & title . So what do u'll think is it a good deal.
    Thanx in advance for all your responses.
  • pont41pont41 Member Posts: 4
    Anyone out there buy one for this amount (plus tax, registration and document fee)?
  • pont41pont41 Member Posts: 4
    Anyone out there buy one for this amount (plus tax, registration and document fee)?
    At this rate, maybe the price will be down to $6988! ;-)

Why don't you take them up on this great offer? It does sound too good to be true, however. Are you sure it doesn't have some very small print on it, such as a special "loyalty rebate" or other discounts available to very few people? Is there a vehicle serial number on the ad? That would indicate it's a "one only" offer. You can always call them and ask them if they have any vehicles in stock to which the offer applies.
  • pineda1pineda1 Member Posts: 2
    ...hours away from buying. carsdirect.com is offering me $15,780 for an Elantra GT hatchback with 5speed manual. The price includes the Accessory package7, tax & license, mud guards, rear cargo tray, trunk cargo net--they said the last three options are already in the car that they found so they can't remove them (they total $138); CA emission; and the Gap Protection that I got just in case; the $1500 rebate is also included...in short, I'm signing the check for $15,780. Should I take the car? My first choice was the standard package for $1,000 less, but they're having a hard time searching for a black color. I have at least 6 hours left to reply to them so they can reserve the car. Can someone please advice me. I live in los angeles.