Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    veduciveduci Member Posts: 3
    No easily discernable problems. Gas mileage? Not sure because unless I take a trip out of the area the miles driven are < 400 per month.
  • Options
    cln213cln213 Member Posts: 1
    I hope someone can shed some light on my problem. Well I have a 2001 CRV with about 43k miles, I have kept up with all the necessary maintenance requirements and inspections. The problem that I am encountering is this strange vibrating noise which seems to be originating from the front end. I swear it sounds like a baseball card in the spokes of a bicycle, or a finger running over the protective cage of as oscillating desktop fan. The noise seems to have a very subtle vibrating energy, which can be felt by an acute foot. I have had it in the dealership and they seem to find nothing wrong. I have had the heat shield replaced, brake work completed, as well as several check ups, which included a front-end inspection. If anyone can help, I would gladly appreciate it. Maybe someone has had this same problem as well.
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Cln - Have them check the tension of the timing belt.
  • Options
    sking97sking97 Member Posts: 2
    my crv also had erratic gauges and the service department tried to tell me that it was normal. after insisting on bringing the vehicle in for service and one week later, the "cluster" had to be replaced.
  • Options
    bamahondabamahonda Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the response. Since I posted my question , I have since had the cluster replaced also. Since then, the speedometer quit working and I had that repaired. Now the temperature gauge is not functioning properly. It is now in the shop getting that repaired.
  • Options
    inkieinkie Member Posts: 281
    sking97, bamahonda, could you tell me what years Honda's you own? Thanx
  • Options
    bamahondabamahonda Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2002 CRV EX with about 12,000 miles. The temperature gauge is now working again. It had to be recalibrated. So I hope I am done with this problem this time.
  • Options
    sking97sking97 Member Posts: 2
    inkie my crv is a 2002 ex.
  • Options
    I also drive a 2002 EX have 20,000 no problems with gauges, yet.
    The reason why I asked was two CRV's in my neighborhood had erratic gauge problems but they were 2001's and I was curious if there was a particular year for this type of problem.
  • Options
    wgn4snowwgn4snow Member Posts: 17
    Our 2003 CRV has no guage problems, but one of the demos that we drove had the guages "flutter" when I inserted the key. The flutter happened every time that I removed and re-inserted the key.

That CRV had not been dealer prepped: in fact they were ripping off plastic in order to let us go for the test. Since I don't know how much fuel was in the demo, I have no idea if the gas guage was accurate.
  • Options
    I too changed my pressure on the Duelers to 32 lbs. I immediately noticed a harsher but more solid ride, with more control in the corners, and improved highway mileage. The downside was a tendency to hydroplane in heavy rain at highway speeds.

I have just put on a set of Michelin Alpins for winter. Of interest, they are the same tire size, but the Alpin has an almost 30mm wider "footprint" on the road than the Duelers.

I'll post driving impressions and mileage comparisons with the Michelins in about a week.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    How much for the set of Michelins? In US$, if you can, please.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    C$120/tire = US$91.25/tire (approx).

They added $10/wheel for install + balancing, so really it's $130x4=$520 which is US$395.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    Sounds like a pretty good deal... let us know how they do this winter.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    sabrina9sabrina9 Member Posts: 148
    You think you all have problems with a few recalls!!! Brand new 03' CR-V, bought in MArch. 6 months later, I am driving 20-25 MPH (car has 8K on it). Engine starts smoking, by the time I pulled over, engine completely engulfed in flames. I jump out - Car totalled. Never did any service on car except oil change about a week earlier. No problem I figured. Car under warranty. Wrong. Honda says their "investigation" concludes (surprise) it was not a manufacturing defect, but won't say what the problem is. Told me to get the money from ins. co. A CAR WITH 8 K ON THE ODOMETER ERUPTS INTO FLAMES IN 2 MINUTES AND IT IS NOT A DEFECT????? Real Nice. Doesn't seem to be oil change issue since car did not sieze and filter and plug were still in the burned car. Honda has completely dropped the ball on this and won't even talk. Me thinks there is something going on. Any other cases? I thought the recalls were bad enough but this is really bad. Car was never off-road or anything like that
  • Options
    apiano29apiano29 Member Posts: 16
    Had my new 2004 CRV - EX Automatic for five days - drove it only two of the five days (had to leave it with the dealer for one full day to put a Roof Rack, which is another story). There is a metallic rattle from the front and a more severe rattle form the rear driver's side. First I thought it was the seat belt buckle knocking against the side - so I kept a wash cloth there. That did not help - the rattle is still there. Every bump on the road causes this rattle which is driving me crazy much more than the metallic rattle from the front. Intend calling the dealer today. The 1999 CRV EX I traded in had no rattles whatsoever. Never had to take to the dealer for any defects. Enjoyed it without any problems for almost five years. Here I have had this 2004 EX for only a couple of days and got to take it back to the dealer.
  • Options
    mrk610mrk610 Member Posts: 378
    Hello all .1st sorry to hear about your problem sabrina ,I would talk to a good attorney about your problem . Here is my question my girlfriend just got a used 02 crv lx she loves it I love my outback better .I'm not stating this to start a discussion about the 2 . the other day we were driving in my car and she noticed that her car seems to rev higher at highway speeds then mine does . I asked her what the rpms are and she looked at me funny . So proceded to explain to here about the tach gauge . She has the auto tranny .she doesn't quite remember what the tach is at but can I hear from some of you on what your crv's tach is at highway speeds . like 60-70-80. So I can calm here fears that there is nothing wrong with her crv .

thank you
    Mike
  • Options
    scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    40mph 1500 rpm
    50 1900
    60 2250
    70 2500
    80 2980

Hope this helps
  • Options
    I am thoroughly dissatisfied with my new 2004 CRV EX model whihc I have had for only a week.

I have been a Honda user for 18 years. I still have the Del Sol I bought in 1990. Now I regret that I traded my 1999 CRV EX for the 2004 EX. In an effort to cut costs the material used in the interior is cheap and not sturdy. To know the difference you need to have owned a previous version of CRV like myself. Yesterday I took my CRV back to the dealer, Connicelli Honda in Conshohocken, PA (who charged me $850 as documentatiojn fee) for a rattling noise. The Service Manager went for a drive with me and told me that the rattle is coming from the rear seat fold down mechanism and I need to make an appointment and come again to get it fixed. That is another day out of work. That is how Connicelli in Conshohocken works.

I paid $249 for a roof rack and expected the similar type of Roof rack I had in the 1999 model. Too my surprise all I got were two cross bars on my roof. These cannot be adjusted. The only extra option I paid for was the roof rack because I need it and use it a lot. In the 1999 one I had the bars caould be moved forward and backward and adjusted to the length I want so I can carry things of different length. The two bars that were put on my 2004 CRV cannot be adjusted at all and Connicelli charged me $249 for it.

In the 1999 one I had the rear seat fold down mechanism was a circular knob with a steel bar. The 2004 model has a cheap plastic hook with a brass colored rod which is so loose they rattle every time I hit a bump.

Honda cars were know for their hardiness. However they are also going the cheap way and putting cheap plastic. This will be my last Honda car. After been a Honda customer for 18 years I will never ever buy a Honda again. This coupled with the lousy deal I got from Connicelli Honda in Conshohocekn, PA and a metal clink noise htat I get from the front (which has not yet been diagnosed) has left me utterly frustrated. NO MORE HONDAS for me.
  • Options
    I hate to say stuff like this, but I think you should have taken a closer look at things before buying. The fixed roof rails as one example. For the most part it sounds like half of your frustration stems from bad dealership experience, not necessarily the vehcile.

I own a 99. My sister owns a 2003. There are some items I prefer in the old vehicle, but none that would stop me from upgrading.
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Just my comments:

1) I have a '99 CRV and a friend just bought a new one. I too felt like the interior was made cheaper.

2) Your dealer sucks. $850 doc. fee? You got ripped big time. Did you do your homework? Also, he shouldn't expect you to go there to show him what's wrong and then make another appt. to fix it.

3) Definately a step down with the new roof rack. But did you check it out before buying it? Are both the old and new roof racks original Honda parts? If not, sounds like the dealer did a switcheroo.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but sounds like you trusted Honda AND the dealer too much. You didn't thoroughly investigate the new CRV and didn't do your homework on pricing. Sheesh, a $850 doc. fee? If I saw that on the invoice when it came time to contract signing, I'd walk out on the spot. Any dealer that does that is a crook that I wouldn't want to do business with.

Oh btw, I love my '99 CRV with 85K and hope that lasts forever......
  • Options
    I did look at the roof rack befoe I bought the CRV. What the salesperson showed me as the roof rack I am buying was exactly similar to what I had on my 1999. Even the salesperson at Connicelli was shocked when I showed him the two bars I got as the new roof rack. When Honda called me for the survey (on my cell phone) I was at the dealership and in front of the salesperson I explained to Honda that the roof rack that was put on the 2004 CRV (the two bars) was not the one the salesperson explained to me.
  • Options
    amcanoeamcanoe Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone had a problem with the automatic transmission on an AWD 2001 CRV? Luckily I bought the extended warranty as the transmission went out with 55,000 miles on it. I was told by the service tech. at the Honda dealer that mine was the first CRV they ever had in their shop with a transmission problem.
  • Options
    mrk610mrk610 Member Posts: 378
    Thanks for the response .I'll let her know so she can check it out the next time she drives .I also think that the crv is just noiser then mine at highway speeds .

Mike k
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I hope you don't fault Honda for that. This was clearly a misrepresentation by the sales person and you should either get your money back or they should put the rack on that was originally showed to you.
  • Options
    handsome44handsome44 Member Posts: 7
    Can anyone tell me how/where to get instructions on changing the cabin/air flow system filter in a 2002 CRV LX?
  • Options
    I have a 2002 CRV LX with 15000 miles and have noticed a tapping/ticking engine noise comming from the engine. You can hear it from the wheelwell and the tapping speed is directly proportional to the engine RPM>.. I have changed oil/filter every 3000 and have never been offroad. I called the dealer and inquired if maybe the valves need adjusting (sounds like that kind of tapping) but they said no adjustments are needed on the 2002 engine. The tone of voice make it sound like a real problem.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what this could be and how I should deal with the dealer. I don't trust the dealer so I am preparing to rebuff any explanations like "that's the way a broken-in engine sounds".
  • Options
    I would like to access TSB's for my 2002 CRV LX so I can be armed with info in dealing with the dealer. Can anyone suggest a way of accessing them over the internet?
  • Options
    tomk17tomk17 Member Posts: 135
    Go to the site below and you will find TSB's. The site gives you an overview of the problem and the TSB #. If you want full detail and the dealer solution you need to pay a few bucks. Caution; Once out of warranty TSB's are not free of charge. I'm not sure how they determine TSB repair costs.
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    Does this noise happen (increasing with RPM) when the vehicle is stopped? Or only when in motion?
  • Options
    rockycowrockycow Member Posts: 114
    The information for changing the filters is in the owners manual. I believe that the two filters cost about 35 dollars. dont buy the ones with the frame attached just save the frames that are in the the car.
  • Options
    crcoxecrcoxe Member Posts: 72
    I hate to say it, but it could be sticky valves - especially if it's proportionate to the RPMs. I'm admittedly not that well versed in the mechanics of it, but I had it happen on an old car I used to have. Generally engines won't exhibit problems like this until you get into high mileage situations (over 100K). Surprised to hear it is happening after only 15K and regular oil changes. Valve replacement can be expensive, but you should still be under warranty and covered.

And now for something completely different: I'm new here. Dropped by because I'm seriously considering the CR-V and wanted to see what you all are saying about them. The wife and I just had a baby. We share one car and have made the difficult decision to get rid of our beloved MINI Cooper (sniff, sob). Anyway, the CR-V seems right up our alley. On another board, I saw a post about wind noise from the roof rack. Is this a common problem? If so, does the moonroof wind deflector help decrease the noise problem?
  • Options
    ghofilenaghofilena Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I'm a new member. I have my CRV for 5 days now and it has about 120 km. I'm having a bit of an issue shifting from 1st gear to 2nd. Seems like when I press on the clutch the engine rev doesn't go down immediately and it would stay at that rev for a few seconds. It's like pressing the clutch but not releasing the accelerator. The thing is I DO release the accelerator. This also happens when I shift from 2nd to 3rd as well. Also, the clutch is a bit high. It is in fact higher than the brake pedal. I've driven standards for more than 20 years now and this is the first time that I have seen/encountered this. Is this something that I should worry about?

BTW, despite this minor inconvenience, my CRV is a pure driving pleasure.

Your comments would be really appreciated. Thanks.

George
  • Options
    George - The high engaging point on the clutch is just a "Honda thing". It's pretty common with most all Honda sticks. Though, I've never noticed that the pedal itself is higher than other cars.

Not sure about the revs issue. I've never noticed it driving my sister's 2003 5 speed or my own '99.
  • Options
    auburn63auburn63 Member Posts: 1,162
    They will hold there rpm speed at or near the same point which you pushed in the clutch for a short time to help in the shift engagement but should not climb much higher..
  • Options
    tambertamber Member Posts: 6
    I have been researching small suv's for what seems like a lifetime. I like the CRV...I am looking at a 2004. After reading so many neg posts here I am not sure. I have a friend who is very anal...and checks specs on everything.. He thinks The CRV is a good buy. But he is a Accord owner..So he is biased. This is my first NEW car! I don't want to make a bad mistake. I have to admit the cheap material seats was my only gripe. Now it seems I have more worries. Can anyone tell me some positive stuff...Or recommend a better buy? Thank you for your help in adavance!
    Tami
  • Options
    andriesandries Member Posts: 37
    We have owned our 2003 V for almost a year, and have 24000 K on it. Except for road noise, which is alot due to the tires, we love this unit. Not a clitch at all. Don't forget what you read on these posts please keep in mind the number of vehicles out there. You are bound to have a few problems, no matter what make or model it is. Maybe we should post a site for people who have had no trouble. They have no reason to complain. In fact when we called the dealer about the AT shift cable recall, he said to come in whenever it was convenient for us. In fact he said that unless you are in a high salt and high humidty area you would probably never have a problem anyway. Good luck and just remember unless you buy what YOU want, there is a good chance that down the road you will not be happy. If you have your eye on a V then buy it, there are LOTS OF SATISFIED V owners out there I am sure. GOOD LUCK
  • Options
    tambertamber Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for your input. i wasnt even aware of the
    "AT shift cable recall" what is that? Anyway I think I have pretty much made up my mind..It seems like a good solid Vehicle for the money!

Tami
  • Options
    robmarchrobmarch Member Posts: 482
    24000 K is a lot of km/miles. ;)
  • Options
    Honda Recalls 651,809 Vehicles

The Daily Auto Insider
    Monday, November 3, 2003
    November 2003

Honda is recalling about 652,000 cars, minivans and sport-utilities to fix an ignition-system flaw that may cause the vehicles to roll after they've been stopped and the keys removed, Bloomberg News reported, citing the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The recall affects 1997 to 1999 Acura sedans, 1998 and 1999 Accord sedans, 1999 Odyssey minivans and 2002 CR-V sport-utilities.

NHTSA said that metal particles in the key cylinders may interfere with a device that's supposed to prevent the key from being removed if the vehicle isn't in "park."

Honda plans to notify CR-V owners in December of the recall and owners of other models from January, a company spokesman said. The company will replace the ignition key assembly if it's found to be worn after an inspection. Meanwhile, Honda is advising customers to set the parking brake after removing the key from the ignition.
  • Options
    lalontoclalontoc Member Posts: 2
    I have a '97 Honda CRV. It's a good car except for a transmission problem I had in the first few months that I had it. All was resolved when an engineer from the Honda manufacturing plant came to look at it. Anyway, I had a new timing belt put in by a local Honda dealership about 15 months ago. Upon inspection by an independent Honda shop, when they pulled the case, it appeared that the timing belt had shifted to the right and was actually rubbing/grooving the casing thereby causing a gash in the casing and fraying of the timing belt. The Honda dealership is going to probably fight me on this saying that their warranty has expired 12 months/12K. I drive around for a living and put on about 3000 per month. However, my first timing belt was changed around 115K. Has this happened to anyone else? I don't want to drop more money on a 6 yr old car but it runs really well. I bought this car because it was based off of the Civic and my Civic was still running and traded in when it had 300K on it. It was a workhorse. Thanks for your help.

Lee
  • Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    I had a new timing belt put in by a local Honda dealership about 15 months ago. Upon inspection by an independent Honda shop, when they pulled the case, it appeared that the timing belt had shifted to the right and was actually rubbing/grooving the casing thereby causing a gash in the casing and fraying of the timing belt. The Honda dealership is going to probably fight me on this saying that their warranty has expired 12 months/12K. I drive around for a living and put on about 3000 per month. However, my first timing belt was changed around 115K.

Are you saying that you've put on 45,000 miles since the timing belt was changed? (3000 miles/month x 15 months) If the problem had been found at 15,000 miles you might have had a reason to fight with the dealer. But if you're really put 45,000 miles on the engine since the timing belt was changed just pay the independent repair shop to fix it, and consider avoiding the dealer in the future.

Has this happened to anyone else? I don't want to drop more money on a 6 yr old car but it runs really well.

I haven't heard of this problem with the timing belt. But I wouldn't worry about putting the money into having it fixed. It is a Honda. It will last a long time if you take care of it.

JM2C
  • Options
    tigerinroctigerinroc Member Posts: 18
    Thank you for all advices on the noise from the brakes.. I almost get up to 200 miles but the noise is still there... Might have the car looked into by the dealer..

Another problem - The 2004 CRV LX manual states that the CD player does not play CD-RWs and play certain CD-R.s I used Maxell CD-Rs to burn a couple of CDs but the player spitted them all out!!

Does anyone run into the same problem? Please advise which CD-R is compatible to the CD player.

Thank your very much!
  • Options
    lalontoclalontoc Member Posts: 2
    Actually, I've only started increasing my miles. I have about 30K on the timing belt. Does anyone have a possible explanation on why the belt would slip to the right? I'll probably just have re-done but would like to avoid the large cost.
  • Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    Atually, I've only started increasing my miles. I have about 30K on the timing belt. Does anyone have a possible explanation on why the belt would slip to the right? I'll probably just have re-done but would like to avoid the large cost.

That's 2 1/2 times the length of the dealer warranty on the work, so it's unlikely they will voluntarily help. It might be worth contacting the Honda Regional office where you live and see if they'll do anything about it. There number should be in the back of your owner's manual. Being polite but firm works better than threatening and yelling...but you probably already knew that.

Good luck and let us know how things work out.
  • Options
    kalahualakalahuala Member Posts: 1
    CR-V Colleagues, For the past 2000kms I have been experiencing a distracting "humming" noise when I turn on my CR-V. I have noticed that the noise is more noticeable when the turns are sharp. This happens mostly at sharp low-speed turns. The noise also manifests itself when negotiating offroad obstacles. I believe it has something to do with the rear diff. or the fluid but I am not sure. Also, I have noticed that sometimes a "burnt" smell is present but I don't feel it is something related to the clutch..the clutch seems to be working fine and it is not slipping at all. My car has always been driven by my wife (housewife driving) and the odometer reads only 57,00 kms. I would hope some of you could shed some light on this issue. Thanks.
  • Options
    Rehash-Engine Tapping noise when RPM's are slightly elevated above idle. Answer-- First time back to the dealer, a mechanic took the car for a 26 mile drive and decided that the taping I heard was the fuel injectors as the 2004 engine is a partially new engine with higher pressure fuel injectors. He said this was normal........ But I reminded him that the noise could be heard from the wheel well and only tapped just above idle. He gave up and told me to come back and see the shop foreman.... So I did.
    Returned to the dealership and a 60 yr old mechanic (Foreman) came over to entertain my complaint. Simply amazing how this old experienced mechanic sat in my car while idling for 30 seconds and proceeded to explain the problem... Apparently the timing belt begins to vibrate/flutter when a load is put onto the engine and that happens just above the idle level of RPM's. When the belt begins to vibrate, a spring loaded stabilizer pushes against the belt to stop the vibration and stabilize it until the RPM's increase to naturally stop the belt vibration. At a certain RPM, the belt actually taps the belt stabilizer until the increasing tension stops the vibration/tapping. This explanation may not be technically flawless but it's what I understood and it makes sense to me... Anyway, the foreman said Honda has gotten many many complaints of this tapping and will address it in the next year with a TSB or recall to replace the stabilizer spring with a rubber coated spring that will curtail the tapping... Didn't quite understand this but this old mechanic really made sense and seemed trustingly persuasive.... Anyway, wanted to let other 2002 and younger CRV'ers in on the problem and answer... By the way, this was the first time the car has seen the dealership since buying it and the problem was no problem... I'm extremely pleased with my 2002 CRV LX standard. Performs well, 4WD was absolutely great last winter in deep snow(Albany NY), inside is comfortable and the back is huge when the rear seats are folded. I recommend this car to anyone who wants a great, reliable midsize SUV that gets good gas mileage.
  • Options
    Thank you for the heads up on 2002 CRV's. I am sure these are typos but your first paragraph says its a 2004 engine, is this an error? Also the 2002's, '03's, etc. have timing chains not belts but the techs theory makes sense metal against metal makes noise.
  • Options
    robmarchrobmarch Member Posts: 482
    sounds like the diff to me. tight turns engage the RT4WD system, since the front and rear wheels are travelling different speeds, with the slight slip that occurs. I've heard the noises in tight turns too, but haven't smelled a smell, though I've heard that's common.
  • Options
    In any turn, the front and rear wheels are spinning at the same speeds. The left and right wheels spin differently (the wheels on the outside of the turn spin more), but since this would affect both front and rear, the pressure should be equal and should not engage the RT4WD.

It is the difference between front and read that engages the system...