Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bieker2bieker2 Member Posts: 2
    apparently the warranty will cover. There is a problem/fault in that the valves/cylinders are moving into the head. Getting new head valves and springs. Only problem is it took 10 days of driving a Daewoo Nubira! So little after my CrV. Thanks for the input stevedebi!
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    so Sabrina, are you still in litigation....if so is there any light at the ned of the tunnel yet?
  • sabrina9sabrina9 Member Posts: 148
    Court date is in June. Based on other great info on this site, I asked ins. co. to recheck for dbl gasket. Last week they said they sent the request to the investigator - remember this info was not available when my investigation was done.

That is why the NHTSA is so important. If they find lots of these fires, it obviously helps my case (and others) no matter what the problem is, although I think I have a good case with just the info I have. With the publicity this will surely get - fires tend to get people mad - I am hoping others come out of the woodwork and Honda will realize the problem and make this right - of course then I drop the case. I actually feel like I won with just the NHTSA investigation
    As I said in earlier posts, I am only out 2K, so this is not a killer case. It really is the principle (although the money is close second). Of course, there is also a satisfaction in knowing that maybe all these posts and the investigation will prevent a serious injury.

BTW, I have never, ever, been contacted by Honda unless I initiated the call, except when they sent me a satisfaction survey for the new 04 CRV that replaced the burned one. The questions were very interesting considering my circumstances....Apparently they didn't; talk to the legal department before they sent it to me.
    We all look forward to June. Let us know about the double gasket. Will it be a quick samll claims court trial? Do you represent your self or have council or is the insurance company representing you? GOOD LUCK!
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    I just got my 10K done, and darn if I didn't wonder if the car would somehow catch fire. But I'm glad you are fighting the system. Best of luck.
  • stevesharisteveshari Member Posts: 9
    The investigation into the engine fires has been opened. Go to the web site and look for case # PE04018.
    I went right to NHTSA to see for myself. Excellent...Can't wait to see Honda's response. Also, maybe this will generate others. If anyone still has not filed an NHTSA report. Please do it ASAP.

Small claims case only last less than 1 hour. I am representing myself - which is typically the way small claims works.
  • 3rdpath3rdpath Member Posts: 8
    i know this isn't as serious as a fire...but now that we're getting some rain in southern california...what the heck is up with NO driprails on the CR-V?

i love my car but this is just moronic in the year 2004 to have water pour onto your leg and carseat when you open the door.

what a drag.
  • bluemalibu2000bluemalibu2000 Member Posts: 25
    I read out on another forum something about a change in the center tray/console on the 2005 model. Does anyone know anything about that? I love the looks of the CR-V, but wish it did have a regular high console that you could rest your elbow on and keep stuff in, rather than the arm rests.
  • kizhekizhe Member Posts: 242
    Interesting: I bought my V exactly because of the absence of the center console.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    You could have read about one of two things.

1. In 2003, Honda changed the center console (the center portion of the dash). Specifically, they made the shelf/cubby in the center large enough to fit CD cases.

2. You may have read that owners of CR-Vs have installed the center armrest from the Element into their CR-Vs. This armrest has a compartment built into it that allows for small items like cell phones. It's an OEM part that bolts right into the same spot as the CR-V armrest, but the color does not match the CR-V interior (right color, wrong tone).

If you are certain that you have read something about the 2005 model, then you read someone's speculation. Don't bank on it.
  • timhondatimhonda Member Posts: 24
    Well, for me, I like the way CR-Vs have to make floor more room for many reasons. Women can put their purse under the flip center board rather than having to put it next to their feet. I have both CRV and Ody that have the same flip board. We found it very reasonable. I might order a wide armrest, though. Just wanted to share my thought.
    It appears that they changed the shape of the drink holder to a single width instead of the "stepped" shape. Some people complained that the old design didn't allow cans to be held securely.
    Sounds like everyone likes the tray. I can see where it does have its advantages and it's almost a trademark of the CR-V's interior.
    " This armrest has a compartment built into it that allows for small items like cell phones..."
    CR-V have enough small compartments, glove compartment and a box under passenger seat.
    What small items do you really need while you DRIVING a car? Basically a cell phone/s, sun glasses, coke bottle/coffee mug and that's it. All of those may be put/left on the tray(shelf) between the seats. I put my cell phone in the front hole in the shelf and I find it very convenient. All other items, which not used while driving, may be put elsewhere. That space between the seats is VERY convenient, like many people here testified.
    I was considering to buy Highlander or Lexus but center consoles they have turned me off and I bought CR-V.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    What is so important to just a few people that the vast majority of people could care less about.

I recently had a lady decide to buy a Pilot. a car she has very little use for, instead of the CRV that would have fit her needs so much better.

Why?

" I don't like the way the tailights look on the CRV"

I'm serious!
    I mention the storage in the Element's armrest because many folks complain about "where" the storage is located as much as "how much" storage there is. I've seen several CR-Vs with the center stack filled up by CD cases, forcing them to put other toys farther away.

But I completely agree that too many people have too much going on while they drive.

FWIW, the center armrest for the Ody also fits the CR-V and looks better with the beige interior. The one for the Element is gray and works for the CR-V's darker interior.
    I agree with you: all people are different and that is very good - otherwise all would buy the same car.
    I also agree with that lady: Taillights on CR-V
    is NOT at the place where they expected to be. It might be even dangerous, but I can live with that.
    Note, that the older CR-V models had taillights at even more higher place, which I did not like.
    To me anyway...what a dumb reason not to buy a car and then spend another 10,000 because of a pair of tailights???

But that's me...we are, indeed, all different.

My wife just LOVES her CRV. The other night I was behind her on the freeway and I was impressed how the tailights really lit up!
    Recently I happend to be driving behind a Gen 2 CR-V. I noticed that those tail lights were much more visible than other cars. I also didn't like the design at first, but I think it is probably one of the safest designs on the road. Kudos to Honda for desigining with safety in mind!
    You guys in the CRVs are use to it but I bet you are in the minority. If it were more popular to eliminate it, think of the $$$$ Toyota, Ford etc etc could save by not making the thing, not installing it etc. etc. I can see some advanatges of not having it but I think if the CRV came with it the number of folks who would be really upset would be few and far between. At least give the option of having it. I guess it could provide nice access to the kids but it also allows them easy acces to front of the car which could be a saftey concern. As far as what can be put in the center console, I can only speak to my Camry (I am sure the new Accord has one too) but I have a split center console. The top half is is used to juggle items like my cell phone, walkie talkies, spare keys, wallets, theme park passes, Tic Tacs etc. The large lower half can actually hold our minidv camcorder or Binoculars or numeroud CDs. When not used in that capacity it can hold a few daipers, or snacks. The console location is convenient for the while driver where as the glove box is not. I relagate the glove box to holding the spare charger for the phone, owners manuals and spare napkins/wipes etc. So, I say...LONG LIVE THE CENTER CONSOLE...and may Honda at least make it an option by the time I buy my V this Spring!
    Minorities are suppose to suffer most by definition :-).
    I agree, that having an optional or removable center console in CR-V would be a good idea. At the same token, give me an option of NOT having a center console in the cars which I rejected (e.g. Highlander, Lexus, MDX).
    Looks like, if you'll take all your stuff from your center console you may start a good Garage/(center console) sale :-).
    Don't forget to invite me!
    Well, considering the excellent array of after market center consoles available, and the ease of removing the stock CR-V folding tray, I think that Honda has made the right choice.

It would be impossible to find an aftermarket version that does what the stock tray does.
    1) If I have a garage sale I should start with the garage! As far as the junk in the car, it is not all in there all the time, but with kids it comes in handy. I guess I am not seeing the added value of not having the console other than ease of getting to the rear seat and setting a purse down....

2) To say Honda has made the right choice by NOT offerening it as a standard feature (optional or not) is crazy! You must really love you CRV to defend Honda so well. That loyalty says a lot about the company but I still think it should be an option. If Honda did have the console like the Highlander and others but Kia did not have one would you buy the Kia. I think not!
    BTW you had had a camry sedan? Having console in sedan is reasonable because you would not use the passage between seats anyway. CR-V is like a small minivan - a different animal.
    Actually, all of us need to own at least three cars :-) :
    1. Porsche - for fun and to show off,
    2. Hummer - for sport,utility and off-roading,
    3. Toyota Prius/Corolla for daily commute.
    I allow you slightly vary this list at your will. :-) .
    P.S. if you are not working (on the welfare or smth.) then skip Toyota Prius - you simply don't need it. :-).
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,120
    If you get the Porsche, you won't need anything else... You will never be able to leave it at home.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    My thoughts...

1. Lamborghini Countach
    2. Jeep Wrangler
    3. Honda Civic Hybrid

:)
    One of the reasons why most vehicles have a center console is to cover the unsightly transmission tunnel. If other brands could get away with not covering that space, I'm certain they would.

The CR-V (being designed around a transversely mounted 4 banger) doesn't need to have a bulky tranny or engine compartment that intrudes into the cabin. So the floor is relatively flat. Meaning that Honda can take advantage of the space AND probably save a few bucks on parts.

JM2C
    This is one of those issues that makes me laugh a bit. It hasn't happened in a while, but some people used to post that the tail lights were too high for people in small cars to see.

The truth of the matter is, the lights are eye level most family sedans. And because they are mounted at the same height as a windshield, they can be seen through many cars. That gives everyone behind you a little advance warning.
    And never, once, have I had a customer ask about a center console.

If there was any kind of a demand they would probably offer one.
  • beebee13beebee13 Member Posts: 38
    I am considering the CRV-ex and the RAV4-L...on the Toyota site they've mentioned the cost of repairs when a RAV gets in a minor rear-end accident....how does the CRV do in such a case??? TRYING to make a decision soon...I have already test drove the CRV and will test drive the RAV4 this weekend...there are things about both that I do like...any input will be great!
    thanks, Bee
    It depends on what hits you.

Consumer Reports does a few low speed colisions to test how expensive it is to fix vehicles. Both the CR-V and RAV4 scored poorly (the RAV4 was worse, but both are not good). FWIW, the Subaru Forester scores well in these tests.

However, the methodology used by Consumer Reports assumes an impact with a tall object or vehicle. This means the spare tire on both vehicles takes the brunt of the blow. In reality, a car's bumper will pass below the spare tire and strike the CR-V's bumper, not the tire. I know because I've been rear-ended twice and the spare tire hasn't caused any damage at all. I can't speak for the RAV4, but I would expect something similar.
    The spare tire on the RAV 4 goes below the bumper line, if I remember correctly...
    Correction for myself. It's the IIHS (Insurance Institute of Highway Safety) that conducts those tests, not CR.
    FYI (in the rear)
    Except for the spare tire functioning as a bumper, I guess...

;-)
  • beebee13beebee13 Member Posts: 38
    thanks so much for your input!!! Looks like I still need to do some checking as well as test drive and come to my own conclusion...thanks, Bee
  • rroadkingrroadking Member Posts: 11
    I have an '03 V. After 3 trips to dealer for smoke bellowing from right rear area of vehicle, they finally pulled the wheel and rotor. I was thinking double o-ring from oil change, smoke, then fire. What they found was completely worn out brake shoes for the emergency brake and a blue tinted rotor. Any else having this problem.
  • cybernut04cybernut04 Member Posts: 98
    I'm an otherwise very happy new owner of an '04 Honda CR-V EX ... but the seats are killing me! It's something I didn't notice on the test drive. I remember thinking, firm seats, that's good, I like a firm mattress - same principle, right?

My wife *loves* the CR-V and I really like it, too. She is the primary driver, but I have to be able to drive it and I certainly have to be able to ride in it without it causing me a lot of pain.

Has anyone else had this experience? And do you have a solution to offer? I'm thinking I need some kind of lower back cushion/pillow/support that I can use while driving or riding. Thanks!
    My wife has this problem in her Civic; she got a $200 seat with back support that goes on top of the stock seat. She bought it locally rather than on-line, so unless you live in the LA area, this particular one may not work for you.

However, I notice there are lots of ergo seat cushions on the Web.
  • barnonebarnone Member Posts: 118
    too cushiony, makes me feel dizzy all the time.

good thing is that i always sleep thru the whole journey :)
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    I have used lumbar-support pillows while driving for 20 or more years. They work much better for me than any of the driver seats with lumbar adjustment. I bought them at various chiropractor offices. Price nowadays probably is close to $30.00. My advice would be to get a thin one. (Some are so fat that they take up too much of the car's seat.) You can even get them to match or complement most interior fabric.
    NHTSA has sent a formal eight page letter to Honda requesting lots of info on the engine fires reported as well as on any others that Honda may know about. I am amazed at the detail they are asking for. Honda has until April 24 to answer.

If anybody out there has had an engine fire, PLEASE file the NHTSA report. It is crucial now. Go to NHTSA.gov and follow the complaint instructions
  • autosaurusautosaurus Member Posts: 90
    Its a very unusual seat design. I'm never comfortable in my '04 ex but am getting used to it. I found it best when the seat back was very upright.

I have 4,000 miles on mine so far and do mostly highway driving (am up to 23 mpg so far). We've been talking about getting rid of it after a year. Not that happy with it. Too uncomfortable and way too many rattles!
    Don't have any on my '03 with 13K miles. You must have gotten one of the unusual ones. Also, I don't mind the seat, I prefer it raised up as high as possible.
  • defieldingdefielding Member Posts: 35
    Mine's a '99 (green 5 speed I bought new)and it has no rattles. My wife and I like it so much, we recently bought another '99 (red auto)to go with it, (We're hoping they'll make baby civics or CRVs for our kids). One of the reasons we bought the second one is we find the vehicle so comfortable. By the way, the second one has no rattles either. We call our garage "The Red Green show" I like the funky distinctive looks of the 1st generation CRVs and the tall tail lights add to the character of both the 1st and 2nd generation CRVs. Mind you, I also think the Honda Element looks cool!
  • autosaurusautosaurus Member Posts: 90
    I've actually driven three CRV's before I bought mine, an '02 ex that a friend owns and she raves about it..and doesnt mind all the rattles (quite a few for my liking) I also drove two demo's, one rattles bad and the other didnt rattle at all. So I figure that it's a good bet that most gen2 CRV's rattle. The sunroof sounds like a bucket of bolts and rattles so bad that I cant open it. Mypassanger door just developeda constant rattle. there is a rattle under the car that i've located to what looks like a heat shield and the black molding on the bottom of the car just came lose. It pulls to the right and the seats are uncomfortable (actually it seems that the seats are a constant source of complaint on here so I guess you either like driving a bus or you dont!..

I also own a 03 Rav 4 and there is absolutely no comparison re comfort..the Rav 4 is way ahead. The CRV does have much more room and the fact that the rear window opens is a big plus! This particular car just isnt bolted together that well!
    I have literally driven and have ridden in hundreds of CRV's including the two we have owned and I can't ever remember hearing a rattle.

As far as RAV-4's go...since you mentioned it...great cars, but sit in the back seat and see how you like that!
  • smsuvundecidedsmsuvundecided Member Posts: 49
    The Rav loses it's space in the rear seats, but I was checking cargo capacity of the CR-V, Rav4 and Escape. One would think the Escape has the most and the Rav4 the least, WRONG. I was surprised myself.

2004 models max cargo capacity:
    1. CR-V - 72 cu. ft.
    2. Rav4 - 68 cu. ft.
    3. Escape - 65 cu. ft. (2005 model has 66)

Anyway, I don't sit in the rear seat. I suppose if I had another teenage kid I probably would buy the CR-V because of the rear seating space. Either way you go, CR-V or Rav4 you can't go wrong.