Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    epm1epm1 Member Posts: 32
    Diva, it may be a problem with the circumference of the tire. If one tire is a different circumference then the wheel turns at a different speed and AWD thinks a wheel is slipping and CRV goes into 4 wheel drive. In 4 wheel drive at highway speeds there is a different sounding louder(whine/howl) noise and your gas mileage gets worse. In my 02 first the transmission fluid was replaced-no help. We then measured circumference of tires-one was about 1.5 inches different-replaced 4 tires and the problem went away. You may want to check: http://www.motor-works.com
    at top of page click on Tech Tips- then on CRV tire size alert.

good luck, epm1
  • Options
    bargainbabebargainbabe Member Posts: 22
    :confuse:
    (Sorry for the double post - I posted on the basic CRV owner site, then saw this site! - I changed this post a little bit)

I just bought a 2005EX CR-V Automatic, red w/ivory (really beige) interior. I love this car! I recommend it over the LX. The difference in price is really quite small for what you get. And it just makes the car feel much more like a luxury car. The tinting on the windows is really nice, and although I never thought much about the 6CD changer, now that I have it I find I use it all the time. The sunroof is fantastic - no problems. The only problem is...

The GAS MILEAGE! It is ridiculously low. My first tank of gas I got around 13mpg. How long is the break in period supposed to be? My dealer said 1,000 miles, the 800 Honda number person told me up to 5,000 (!!) miles. My second tank of gas is getting a little bit better gas mileage. I do both local and highway driving. I've been very careful with trying to drive smoothly with not a lot of stop and go. It's not always easy here (i live in Rockland County, a NYC suburb). It's very hilly here, and sometimes when going over the mountains, my car almost feels like there's a brake on somewhere. Is this where that D3 gear comes in? I read the manual, but I want to know if anyone has actually used this gear, how it works, and how the car should feel. Is this something that may be making my car suck down gas? The pickup on my car is fantastic! I know that there are things that factor into the gas mileage, such as tire pressure, air conditioning use, stop and go traffic, hauling something, and carrying a lot of weight. My car is brand new and the tire pressure is fine. I do use the airconditioning. I would say I'm 50/50 as far as stop n. go vs. highway driving goes. I do not haul anything. I have not yet had more than one other person in my car with me, and I don't keep a ton of stuff in the car. Are there any other things that can be affecting it? It's got under 300 miles on it and I've had it for about 3 weeks.

Thanks so much for anyones help!
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    Get out of D3... Just put your car in Drive, and leave it there...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I've never used the D3!! Thats why I want to know what it is! What does it do? Why does my car feel like I have a brake on when going up the mountain? Am I just not used to the weight of it, coming from driving a sedan? Why am I getting such exceptionally bad gas mileage? :confuse:
  • Options
    kcreaturekcreature Member Posts: 17
    I, too, just got a 2005EX CR-V (also red!). I can't tell you why your gas mileage is bad, just offer a comparison. My first tank was 25 MPG, as was my second. A couple of days ago I went up to the mountains (pacific northwest) and got 29 MPG. I thought I had figured it wrong, but I double-checked. My CR-V only has 1400 miles on it. The one difference is that I haven't been running the air-conditioner much after the first tank. I also had my sunroof cracked open all the way up to the mountains, but I have a visor - or whatever it's called. The only thing that I can suggest - and I have done it with good results - is to call another dealer to ask why, and play innocent. I usually get more help when I play the naive helpless female, but that's another story... ;)

Good luck! It is a great car.
  • Options
    Reading back over your message... You've already filled up twice in less than 300 miles...

After filling up, try running the tank down near empty, then recording your mileage driven and gallons to re-fuel... You can't just estimate it.... Most ultra low mileage readings are from people estimating how much fuel they've used in "half a tank".. that doesn't work...

Also, is your parking brake off?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kcreaturekcreature Member Posts: 17
    I don't use the D3 as it keeps the car from going in to higher gears. My salesman said he uses it all the time in residential areas because it keeps the car from going over the speed limit. Is that lame or what? It was something that he kept mentioning, like it was some new, special thing. I do use it when I go down a steep hill (it saves the brakes), or need to keep the wheels from spinning in snow or gravel.
  • Options
    ironhead3ironhead3 Member Posts: 6
    I just got a 2005 EX also , it only has 500 miles on it now, I have noticed it seems to burn alot of fuel also, I was told let it get more miles on it then check it , I hope so, I am a little farther up state from you in Ulster county, good luck
  • Options
    ckimmerleckimmerle Member Posts: 1
    I took my 2000 CR-V in for an alignment and was told that I need a new adjustable ball-joint as the factory ball-joint is NOT adjustable. Does this sound right? It must be somewhat adjustable, I would think. Perhaps the adjustment range is not adequate, but I can't see the camber be all the much off.

The total bill, including the alignment is gonna exceed $300US.

Thanks,
    Chuck

p.s. I did a fairly exhaustive search for this subject by came up empty. Please forgive if I missed anything.
  • Options
    Checking my parking brake is ingrained - like waking up in the morning. I only forgot once (the second day I had it) because it's in a wierd place (for me). I'll try doing the whole tank of gas. I've been doing a 1/2 tank - after the initial dealer fill, I let it get down to exactly 1/2 tank, then filled up until the pump stopped filling, did not top off, then drove until the same spot, then did it again. 2nd time my MPG was closer to 15 mpg. 1st time it was 13 mpg. I'll let it run down to empty to see what happens. I guess its headed in the right direction. I've always been told, though, that its better not to run your gas tank empty.

Do you know about car oil changes? I've always been told that with new cars they put in lighter oil at first, then switch it out at 1,000 miles. My mom just bought a new Toyota, and they did exactly that. My CRV manual says no oil changes until 10,000 miles - although the people who have posts about it seem to agree on about 5,000 miles. I've never gone more than 3500 without an oil change!
  • Options
    Sorry to say, but nice to know I'm not the only one. Are you using your airconditioning all the time? Also, I've never had a sunroof before - do you drive with yours open or closed? Open all the way, or just the back lifted up? I know it must affect the aerodynamics of the car, but I can't imagine it changing the gas mileage that much, anymore than opening any of the other windows would. Whats your gas mileage around? What color did you get? Did you get any added features? What color is your interior? What do you think of the glove compartment? That bump in the middle is extremely annoying!
  • Options
    There is the mistake... you can't drive it down to the same point on the gauge... It just isn't accurate.... You can't be sure you were exactly at half a tank..

1) Fill up

2) Set trip odometer to zero

3) Drive till near empty

4) Fill up again.... note mileage.. divide mileage by gallons needed to fill up...

Especially on half a tank, which could be six to seven gallons, any anomalies could throw off your calculation.. You have to do it as above....

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    The GAS MILEAGE! It is ridiculously low. My first tank of gas I got around 13mpg.

EDIT: what kyfdx said!!

You can only accurately calculate fuel mileage by dividing the actual miles driven and the actual amount of fuel used (number of gallons it takes to fill the tank). "a 1/2 tank" is not an accurate measurement.
  • Options
    Do you know about car oil changes? I've always been told that with new cars they put in lighter oil at first, then switch it out at 1,000 miles. My mom just bought a new Toyota, and they did exactly that. My CRV manual says no oil changes until 10,000 miles - although the people who have posts about it seem to agree on about 5,000 miles.

Your Owners Manual specifically says not to change the break in oil before the first scheduled oil change.

Read more of your Owners Manual, as there are two (2) maintenance schedules: normal and severe. The Owners Manual even describes the difference between normal and severe. The normal oil change schedule is 10,000 miles. The severe schedule is 5,000 miles.
  • Options
    That is exactly what I did. I have everything written down in my glove compartment and I can't get it right now. I will be filling up again soon, and then I will write down everything again and send you the calculations. I'm wondering if my mileage was so bad because 1. the car is BRAND NEW (had 18 miles on it), 2. I was cranking the air conditioning, and 3. I was driving up and down mountains, sometimes very slowly (I got stuck once behind a truck, and once behind a van doing 30mph!). Now that its getting cooler out, I'm hoping to not have to use the airconditioning quite so much! I tried to put my car on a flat surface (as opposed to an incline) to gauge the "1/2 tank" mark and to make sure the two tank fulls were at the same spot, but you're right, it's not an accurate measurement. I'm a bit nervous about waiting for the red light to go on E, though. Depending on where I am, gas stations can be pretty far apart. Is there any other way of finding a good time to fill up besides waiting for your gas tank to hit Empty?
  • Options
    Thats why I'm asking - I read the owners manual. 10,000 miles seems like such a long time to me. I just wanted to check. Like I've said, I've always driven old cars (10+ years), so my oil was changed religiously at 3,500 miles. Its just a bit of a shock to know that I can change my oil 1/3 as often as I used to have to, and I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing! It's like suddenly getting 50mpg, you don't really believe it, you want to check, you know?
  • Options
    Isn't the red gorgeous! How long did it take your dealer to find one? Do people stare at it when you drive by?
  • Options
    2. I was cranking the air conditioning, and 3. I was driving up and down mountains, sometimes very slowly (I got stuck once behind a truck, and once behind a van doing 30mph!).

Those kinds of driving conditions (mountains, and air conditioning use) will hurt your fuel mileage, but 13 MPG is VERY low.

I'm a bit nervous about waiting for the red light to go on E, though. Depending on where I am, gas stations can be pretty far apart. Is there any other way of finding a good time to fill up besides waiting for your gas tank to hit Empty?

You should have about 3 gallons of fuel left when the low fuel warning light on the dashboard goes on. It should go on before the fuel gauge shows Empty. In six years of owning a CR-V I've only seen the light twice. And both times I did it intentionally to see how much fuel was left in the tank. Once you get to the 1/4 left mark go ahead and fill up.
  • Options
    ironhead3ironhead3 Member Posts: 6
    I use the air cond most of the time ,sun roof closed, I havent checked the mileage by filling it up then driving and filling again , I am going to do that soon .the color is called redondo red pearl, I call it maroon, the interior is Ivory, I like all the compartments to store stuff
  • Options
    aquaticexploreaquaticexplore Member Posts: 89
    This site is very helpful. My wife's '02 EX has 100,000km on it. It would make a chirp noise on hard turns (left especially). I read that it was probably rear diff fluid that needed change. Did it, and issue is resolved.
  • Options
    blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Are any of your people here who don't go to the other site going to the NEMC Fall foliage tour next weekend in Lee, MA? Anyone with a Honda is welcome to come.
  • Options
    robjpreussrobjpreuss Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem as alzy2k5crv (message #3029). Mine is a 1999 with 106k on it. At a light I am afraid that the car will stall, but as soon as I turn off the AC the idle goes back up and the compressor stops making a knocking/clicking sound. I have also had the timing belt, water pump, trans service and rear diff fluid all done at the dealership. Just wondering if changing the spark plugs will correct this idle problem, but I had them replaced last year. Al, did you ever solve this problem? Thanks, RJP.
  • Options
    mlarinmlarin Member Posts: 1
    I've noticed recently the same noise on my CRV which now has 70,000 km on it.
    Also I've had electrical problems with the power door locks, drive light indicator and now the fan for the cooling system.
    I would be interested in hearing from anyone having similar electrical problems
  • Options
    7070670706 Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem with my 2005 CRV EX 4. I brought it to the dealer 3 times. They could never solve the problem. I seen your question about- does other cars have this problem. Well when I was trying to get my CRV fixed I drove a 05 civic and an 05 accord. Both of those cars did not have the problem that my CRV had. If the pavement has a slope either to the right or left that is the way my CRV goes and I am to accept that. It was a hard pill for me to sallow. I truly believe that the dealer can come up with a fix to this. But, they will not going to as long as people accept the vehicle the way it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't get me wrong I Love my CRV too. WE NEED TO GET HONDA OFF THEIR ASSES AND FIX THIS PROBLEM WITH OUR CRV'S. LES
  • Options
    me3me3 Member Posts: 30
    Hi 70006,

Serious question here (not trying to poke at you). You say "If the pavement has a slope either to the right or left that is the way my CRV goes and I am to accept that." I read this the say left slope=left drift, right slope=right drift. Is that what you meant to say or am I misinterpretting you? :confuse:

Otherwise, that is normal alignment (left slope=left drift, right slope=right drift). If the car were to pull to the right (significantly) when the road was sloping to the LEFT, then there could be a possible PTTR problem. I say 'possible' because drifting right on a left slope is a possiblity with a poorly aligned vehicle. I know from experience after losing a battle to a Minneapolis pothole on winter.

PTTR is a strong and rapid PULL (not drift) to the right when you take your hands off of the wheel. Think full lane change in 2 to 3 seconds.
  • Options
    cobradoctorcobradoctor Member Posts: 4
    I also have a vibration issue starting...I have an '05 EX with about 1500 miles. I really notice the vibration when the A/C cycles and sitting at a stop light. If I turn the A/C off it goes away. The RPM's seem steady but the Vibe definatley wasn't there when I drove the car home. If any of you have an input on this issue I would be much obliged.

Thanks
  • Options
    crv4mecrv4me Member Posts: 10
    Can someone please verify the procedure for turning off the Auto A/C defrost feature on an 05? I don't see it mentioned in the owners manual.

I have discovered the A/C runs without the light being on while defrost is selected. Maybe this is a contributing factor the compressor problems? Are the compressors more robust in the later years?

Could this also be a factor why some folks are having low MPG issues?
    The A/C is running with defost with NO A/C light indicating it is on.
  • Options
    See message #1925 in this discussion...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    defieldingdefielding Member Posts: 35
    I bought a 99 CRV new and we love it so much we bought another 99 CRV (different colour) used 3 years later. The rubbing is very simple to fix. Change the fluid in the rear differential with Honda's Dual Pump fluid. Enjoy your CRV, (wait until it snows, you wont believe the traction you'll get especially if the tires still have a lot ot tread)
  • Options
    bshelbshel Member Posts: 232
    My first oil change was at 9800 miles. 2nd one - 10,000 later. I'm following normal schedule. No issues/problems.

I have the Chianti Red (04 EX MT) - not sure if it is a lighter shade than your Redondo Red. I love the interior - tan - hides dust/dirt so well.
  • Options
    xtina16405xtina16405 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Honda CR-V. I was told today that my A/C compressor came apart internally. The dealer wants $3070 to repair it. I feel this is a rip off. They stated that they neede to replace the compressor, clutch, coil, condensor, expansion valve, hi and low lines, recharge. Am I being taken to the cleaners? Sad part is I love my CR-V, but not at $3070 to repair. Help? :confuse:
  • Options
    irene2irene2 Member Posts: 2
    Regarding odor in new car. We are having the same problem with our 2003 Honda CRV, it has 20K miles on it and we have had it into the dealer at least 8-10 times trying to get them to fix this problem. It smells moldy coming out of the vent system, with the air conditioning on off. Honda says they can't do anything but clean out the air conditioner box and replace filters. Is this a common problem in this model Honda and is there not a solution?
  • Options
    irene2irene2 Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem and had our 2003 Honda CRV into the dealers about 8 times and all they did is clean the Air Conditioning box and changed filters. That did not stop the smell! We are also looking into our Lemon Law rights. Please advise us as to the results or solutions to your Honda problem. Did the dealer ever find a fix or did they buy it back? I will appreciate hearing from you.
    Irene2
  • Options
    epm1epm1 Member Posts: 32
    You need to call Honda Customer Service in CA- 800 # in front of your warranty booklet. Previous messages/posts indicate they are paying anywhere from 1/3 to 100% of costs depending on mileage. At almost 70,000 on my 02V they paid 1/2 of the costs. They also reduced dealer price to their "cost price" of about $1600. At top of this page in search box type in "compressor" and review those previous messages.

When you call American Honda Motor Customer Service they take info, then rep calls you back in couple of days. They generally give you some run around, but be persistent and calm. Good luck, EPM1
  • Options
    fussycrvownerfussycrvowner Member Posts: 179
    Simply cleaning the box will not fix the moldy smell. The problem is too much moisture staying in the box and building up bacteria. Had the same issue with an '00 Dodge Caravan. Turns out that water was not draining off the evaporator. The service department knew of the issue and the lack of a service bulletin and put in an evaporator for a '99 model. The fins were too close together on the new design and did not allow condensation to run off. Maybe have the dealer check for a blocked drain tube? Best of luck.
  • Options
    coudiebugcoudiebug Member Posts: 26
    I need to replace my original Duelers (thank God !) and have been doing my research. From what I can discern from a number of tire sites, the Goodyear Assurance Triple Tred has very high marks. My dealer is pushing the Nokian WRH..both are a little pricey but not too much more than what the Duelers go for.

I have seen the Michelin Harmony mentioned within this site but my tire guy says no, he would not recommend them...any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    leighr98leighr98 Member Posts: 1
    Regarding the odor from A/C vent issue...in both my '90 Accord and '92 Accord (to a lesser degree), I had this exact same issue...and was told it was the material used in the vents and moisture saturated them, etc., etc....so....although as the '92 Accord got older (I am donating it as we speak to buy a '05 CRV) this problem never occurrred....I would suggest what I did...when you turn off your car after having the a/c on...open the outside vents...you close the air vent when you run your A/C...so open it and let outside air 'dry out' whatever moisture is accumulated in the pipes...this may cut down on the moldy, musty smell.....
  • Options
    papabear3papabear3 Member Posts: 2
    We purchased a used 2003 Honda CRV 4WD this year. It presently has 39,000 miles. Recently the malfunction Indicator Light came on. My wife was not turning the gas cap tight enough with the 3 click rule. The air filter was dirty so I changed it. We had a diagnostic test and the results showed. P1166 Fuel Air metering. Do anyone out there knows what this code means or a website that can decipher this code. The vehicle runs fine. We change the oil every 3 thousand mile. I even added a gas treatment to a full tank of gas. We parked the vehicle and not driving it at the present time. I went to a Honda Dealership & Pepboys and they want 87.00 just to diagnose the code. Please help if you experience this problem. Thank You. Papa Bear3
  • Options
    poorrichardpttpoorrichardptt Member Posts: 4
    We purchased our CRV in August and are having the PTTR problem. Have had it in for servicing four times, they have adjusted tire pressure, performed one service Bulletin and keep telling us it is a "normal characteristic". We are now proceeding with the BBB. What is your status with your CRV at this time. Honda has basically said that the car is okay and I have heard the sales representatives telling customers that the pulling to the right is a "Normal Charateristic" for the CRV. Thanks Richard Phillips
  • Options
    Dear Steve,

I have a Honda CRV that has the PTTR problem. I have had into two dealerships for repairs and both have said it is a "normal characteristic" for the vehicle to pull to the right. I am now heading for BBB and if that does not resolve the problem we will have to go to the lemon law. We reside in Florida and have gotten the lemon law requirements to filing. Any ideas you can give us in advance of our arbritration with the BBB would be appreciated. Our email is richardnkaren@cs.com. Thank you for any help.
    Richard Phillips
  • Options
    me3me3 Member Posts: 30
    Please describe what you consider as PPTR. How aggressively does it pull when traveling on a surface with a RIGHT slope (water drainage) and how aggressively does it pull to the right when traveling on a surface with a LEFT slope. (I.e., how many seconds for a complete lane change?) Are you travelling at a constant speed? What speed? Are you accelerating?...

Just curious. PTTR is a real and serious problem however, it appears that a number of PTTR problems are perception issues rather than real problems. I would hate to have you go through BBB arbitration just to come out dissatisfied or with egg on your face. You will need real data for arbitration.
  • Options
    lmbucklmbuck Member Posts: 3
    When driving down mountain hills if needed, I'll shift the automatic trans into 1st or 2nd gear to
    slow the V down. I get a noticeable groan sound when it reaches around 40 mph (in 2nd) and 15-20 mph in 1st. This sound will continue as long as I keep the speed constant which on long downhills will last minutes. Took it to the dealer and the shop foreman road with me on a test drive. He characterized the sound as a harmonic groan but did not know what caused it. Later we drove a 2004 EX and there was no similar sound. He could not find a 2005 model on the lot so he chose a used 2004 and told me the auto transmission was the same as the 2005. I don't think he's right. Anyway they will look at it next week and call me - I don't have a positive feeling about this. Has any one experienced this sound?

Ha
  • Options
    tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    The 2005 definitely has a different transmission. The 2005 has a 5 speed auto while the 2004 have a 4 speed auto. I don't know what the noise is, but you might want to try a different dealer and/or different mech to ride with to demo the noise.
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    you can find out more about this code and your honda if you google it (P1166 and Honda). i can't provide you links because they would be to other automotive forums, and edmunds has a policy about that.

from what i googled, it looked like a probable issue with an O2 sensor situated near the engine, specifically it's heater element.

you might find this site particularly helpful to view parts and prices, and nice exploded view diagrams:
    http://www.HondaAutomotiveParts.com

choose "exhaust pipe" for the system component.
  • Options
    me3,
    This is poorrichardpttr. This Honda CRV 2005 FWD pulled to the right right after I bought it. I thought I had an alignment and at 500 miles after an interstate 95 trip I took it to the dealer and complained. The CRV at 70 mph on cruise control will pull from the far left lane ( the interstate appears to be flat where the test was performed) to the white line edge of the far right lane in 5-6 seconds when I release my grip on the wheel holding pressure to the left. Also while traveling on A1A (with no cars in sight) I can get in the passing lane and at cruise 55 the CRV will back across the center to the berm of the other lane in about 5-6 seconds. The A1a road appears to slopeto the leftin the left lane and slope to the right in right lane.
    The CRV actually pulls the steering wheel while holding it to the right any time during acceleration. Take your foot off the gas pedal an CRV goes straight (Unless road leans hard left or right then there is a slight movement in the direction of the road slope.
    I plan on getting at least two alignment shops to test the CRV and to provide a statement about the CRV pulling to the right under acceleration.
  • Options
    papabear3papabear3 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you user777. I appreciate it very much.

Have a wonderful day!
  • Options
    smalbanysmalbany Member Posts: 15
    After 1,000 miles on my 05 EX I have come to the conclusion that the OEM tires (Duelers) stink. They are loud, have poor wet traction and will likely suffer from a low mileage tread life. In looking at my options for moving to a better tire, I find the selection in the OEM size 215/65/16 a little limited. Has anyone used the 60 series tires on their OEM wheels? I saw on another board a suggestion that 235/60/16 worked on their wheels without impacting the accuracy of the speedometer. Has anyone tried this? Was there a positive impact on ride, MPG or use of the vehicle?
    Thanks.
    Smalbany
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I've got a 99 CRV and accidentally broke off the knob that you would lift up to fold the back seat down. Anyone know how to get the remaining piece off and where to find a replacement?
  • Options
    calvinycalviny Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2003 CRV and it has 20000km only.
    I encountered the RPM Swing down & up problems.
    When my foot off the gas pedal for a slow down and the RPM starts at 1500RPM dramatically down to 1000 RPM and then swing back to 1200RPM
    (it looks like the 2nd gear kick down to 1st gear...but still it should not be down 500 RPM) It should gradually down...right???
    Besides, I got a very poor gas mileage...(420km city driving/full tank)

I took it to Honda dealer for a check and of course, those guys say it is normal to swing down & up in CRV...(they R trying to fool me...I believe so)

Please return me with some advise...
  • Options
    tamarastertamaraster Member Posts: 107
    I'm not an expert, but when the car shifts down a gear, the RPMs will indeed drop abruptly, not slowly go down to the new level. The gears are discrete, so it's a sharp change, like changing gears on a bicycle is. If you push the gas pedal with a bit of force, the RPMs will jump up as you described.

You are possibly calculating your fuel mileage incorrectly. You say "a full tank" but unless you actually ran out of gas, you did not use the full tank. (My CR-V has about 3 gallons - about 11.3 liters - left when the low fuel indicator light comes on.)

The proper way to calculate gas mileage is to fill up your car, noting the mileage, and then drive the car until you are almost out of gas. Then divide the amount it takes to now fill up your tank by the distance that you drove.

For instance, if you fill up the tank when your car has 2163 km on the odometer, and then you fill it again when your car has 2500 km, and the second fill-up requires 49.5 liters (I'm assuming you are in liters since you used km), your gas mileage for that tank would be:

(2500 km - 2163 km) / 49.5 liters = 6.8 km / liter

which is 16 miles per gallon (which would be low for a CR-V).