Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    What would you buy next?

If you go to any forum, you will find problems.
  • Options
    epm1epm1 Member Posts: 32
    Kay, my 02 CR-V air conditioning compressor blew up also in the 60,000+ mileage range. Dealer estimate was $3000+. After being delayed by and insulted by American Honda Customer Service they had car repaired at "their cost" of about $1600 and I paid half of that(dealer tried to add a few hundred dollars to the ticket, but removed it when advised that was not the agreement)-AHM said they would have paid more if I had been a better customer- bought 7 Hondas repaired only with Honda parts- (not sure how many Honda's I have to buy to be a better customer?). You have to have to be patient and persistent with Customer Service-like in the showroom you have to look out for yourself and be an informed customer. good luck, epm1

ps- the replacement unit has started to knock like the old one did just before it blew up so I expect the replacement unit to fail any day now.
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I believe most folks that have had A/C problems were able to get a fair amount, if not all, of the repairs covered. Given the fact that you and your family have had great luck with many Hondas so far, would you really switch brands based on the A/C problem.

In my life I've owned Chevys, Fords, Dodges, Toyotas and Hondas. None have been perfect. But of all the Toyotas and Hondas I've owned, only the Odyssey had unexpected repairs.
  • Options
    kayakbiscuitkayakbiscuit Member Posts: 4
    I realize that there can be glitches with any model and make but I guess my point is that having something this expensive (or potentially expensive as I have not yet heard from the dealer) happen at only 65,000 doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. I had considered both a Toyota Rav 4 and a Subaru Forester but the ultimate tie-breaker was my loyalty to Honda. I really like this CR-V so I think I'm allowed to be a little disappointed. Furthermore, I live in the southeastern US and not having A/C is a really big deal.
  • Options
    kayakbiscuitkayakbiscuit Member Posts: 4
    Okay...I am completely stunned. I just got off the phone with my service rep and they're going fix the A/C at NO COST to me! I thanked him profusely and told him I was floored. He said that was the reaction they wanted especially since I was long time customer. I take back what I said about this being my last honda-I will always buy Honda! Woo Hoo!! I am really glad I found this forum-I wouldn't have even known that there was a possibility of Honda making it right. I didn't even tell them that I wanted them to pay for it but I did explain why I didn't get the extended warranty when I bought the car. Thanks everybody for all the good advice and encouragement.
  • Options
    I know I have seen Honda go WAY beyond the call of duty in situations such as this.
  • Options
    Kudos to Honda on this one. I think the deciding factor was the fact that you and your family have owned many many Hondas. And Honda too realizes that this simply shouldn't happen. Hmmm, I'm very curious as to why this is happening.

I can understand the way you were feeling with the projected cost and all that. I too am in the southeast (Florida) and would die this time of year without A/C.

Good luck.
  • Options
    carrmancarrman Member Posts: 20
    I don't think anyone wants to have issues with a new vehicle but if folks are having problems then they are having problems. Customers have a right to complain if they feel the product is not performing as it should. It's not a knock against honda, it's just a reality. My wife's '03 crv ex has been great, it's everything I'd expect from honda. My '04 accord ex has been riddled with small issues from day 2 of ownership BUT the service mgr has made things right in most cases.

I've always enjoyed honda motorcycles and this is my second accord but I will look around before buying another honda. Not saying I won't buy another, just won't blindly kneel and worship at the alter of honda.

I'd like to thank all the consumers on this board not employed by honda for sharing your bad experiences with honda's. Your honesty has been very helpful to me in dealing with the problems I've come across with my accord. Power to the people.
  • Options
    amocrvamocrv Member Posts: 6
    Hello there,
    I have a 02 CRV LX with stock tires of 205 70/15, can anyone tell me what other size of tires can be used on the stock steel wheels, I'm trying to over size the tires since they are too small, I have seen pictures of new generation CRV's with larger tires and they look great.Thanks.
  • Options
    fussycrvownerfussycrvowner Member Posts: 179
    Hello: I have been having some wheel alignment issues with my '02 CR-V. I have had 5 alignments in 26,000 miles of ownership. The first 4 were done by Conrad's and the last one by the dealer where I purchased. I am beginning to sense that the tire shops and the dealer use different specifications when they align. The first 4 gave me terrible handling - mainly I felt like I was all over the road, though it went straight. The one done by the dealer felt solid and gave me more confidence in handling. I just recently purchased tires which included a free alignment (different tire shop). Now I am feeling all over the road again. When I state all over the road, I mean it literally - I feel the steering in the seats and have to over - compensate for EVERY road imperfection. I have an appointment with the dealer to have the alignment corrected. Is there some truth to different specifications being used by different shops? Based on my comparison, I will be having more service work performed by the dealerships. :confuse:
  • Options
    bshelbshel Member Posts: 232
    amo,
    try the accessories thread for tire size recommendations- you may have more success there.
  • Options
    klskls Member Posts: 3
    Hello:

I own a 2005 LX4WD.

My check engine light is on - I recently got gas - the fuel cap was not clicked 3 times. I fixed the fuel cap and now I'm waiting for the engine light to go off - I realize it takes 3 days or so to do this.

My questions is - how do I know it really is the fuel cap thing and not something else? My vehicle is performing normally otherwise. Is there anything I should be looking for? I'm afraid it it's not the fuel cap thing I might be doing some damage to the vehicle.

Any advice? Thanks.
  • Options
    Why do you keep letting these tire shops mess with it?

I've never had any of my Hondas aligned and have never seen the need for it.

Now, if I see unusual tire wear or the cars start pulling to one side or something, of course I would have it looked at.

Your "free" alignment probably wasn't needed in the first place and someone who didn't know what he was doing messed it up!
  • Options
    " I've never had any of my Hondas aligned and have never seen the need for it. "

There you go again......ostrich head in the sand.......get ready for it.....LOL

Just kidding, sorry, I couldn't resist.
  • Options
    fussycrvownerfussycrvowner Member Posts: 179
    Thank you for the reality check!!!! I don't know why I let tire shops experiment with it either... A "free" alignment cost me a wake up call to go back to the dealer. At least there they seem to follow the factory service manual and use the correct tools for the job. Thanks.
  • Options
    chuck914chuck914 Member Posts: 15
    Since it is a 2005, I'd just take it to the dealer for them to clear any codes...I'd think most dealers would do this as a customer servicev sort of thing (Waterloo Honda in Ontario, Canada did this for me).

Also, a bit off topic, but for all to know:
    a) my steering "clunking" noise stopped or low speeds--new struts and bearing plates (and there was never a pttr)

b) mirror heater -- new element/mirror installed

c) brake pulsation -- machine rear rotors/replace front...I took their advice and installed new pads before they did the other work.

d) steering wheel finish coming off -- replace steering wheel.

The good news...even with 60,000 km on a 2003 CRV, all this was completed with NO charge to me. I can't complain about Honda service, but considering the AC compressor has been replaced, and the gearshift cable in addtion to all of the above, I am concerned with "what's next."
  • Options
    thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    I've been reading these forums for a while because I'm considering buying a new CRV to replace my WRX. Yeah, I know ... apples and oranges. I was wondering of those experiencing PTTR and AC compressor issues (as well as a few other problems) where are your CRV's made ... Japan or the U.K. ?
  • Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    Japan or the U.K.?

The question has been asked before. Answer: both.

non-car smiley
  • Options
    nolefan1nolefan1 Member Posts: 17
    When I bought the car the dealer mentioned that the passenger's seat back was not heated because of of an airbag sensor, but he insisted that the driver's seat back was heated.
    My owner's manual suggests the same. Does anyone know for sure?
  • Options
    maxthepokemaxthepoke Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 CRV that after fueling is very hard to start. I have to crank several seconds before it starts and then for a couple minutes after it does start it will not idle and just dies but after that it starts and runs just fine. The fuel cap seems to be ok. Does any one have any ideas on what might be the problem?
    Thanks
  • Options
    therivertheriver Member Posts: 70
    I am changing the cabin filter. The directions say "remove hinge tabs on either side of glove compartment"...

I see the tabs. How do I remove? Do I push them from the outside in, inside out or what?
  • Options
    sky23213sky23213 Member Posts: 300
    I've been wondering the same thing. It either heats very little or it's my imagination that it does. Your previous post had me look in the manual again, and the way it's worded I'd agree - the back of the driver's seat should heat.
  • Options
    chitowncrvownrchitowncrvownr Member Posts: 6
    Have a Japanese 2 wd 2005 CR-V with Dunlop tires. Have had a front end vibe issue since the test drive. I initially shrugged it off as I never seemed to be on a really smooth road. However this last month I finally clocked in some serious road trip miles.

No issues with PTTR, brakes, suspension noise/looseness or steering drift.

The vibe is most noticeable at 40-45 mph (a pulsing in the wheel, felt through the seat). Then again at 60-70 mph it becomes more of a buzz that cycles in intensity at about a 1/4 hertz rate, interesting harmonic.

Took it to the dealer (who was fantastic, even gave me a free rental when all I needed was a local ride home). They of course completed step one, rebalancing of the tires. RF was out about and ounce and a half.

Next road trip, I noticed the amplitude of the vibes had lessened, but still there nonetheless.

So, took it in again, tech rode with, confirmed my thoughts. We also chatted about A/C compressors and such! Anyway, we both agreed there may be a harmonic issue between the hard-rubbered Dunlops and the CR-V suspension. Just for kicks we took out an identical (down to the color!) CR-V with 10 miles on it. It was WORSE! So we talked with the service manager, and we discussed the tire situation. They agreed with the idea of changing out the tires for one of the other brands (Bridgestone and Goodrich are the other two OEM-supplied tires). Since it's not a deaaler issue, and Honda doesn't warranty the tires per se, I thought we'd need to get the local rep involved, but after I left they called me back an hour later to tell me a new set of 5 Goodrich TA's were on order. They said those give the best ride out of the three. FANTASTIC!! Hope to see'em this week.

Of course my question is.....what's the deal with these Dunlops??? Anyone else have similar issues, or have heard of it???

THX....Rob
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    I had the same problem on an '02 with Bridgestone Turanza LS-Ts (replacement tires)... Great tires by all accounts... but, I felt that there was some kind of harmonic issue as well... We (tire dealer and me) tried quite a few of them, but eventually gave up.. A service tech at my Honda dealer said something at the time, that I thought was pretty stupid.... but, he may have been on to something.. "Maybe the tires are just too good for this car".

I didn't have the problem with my OEM Bstone Duelers (a very crappy tire, otherwise), so I switched to the BFG T/As.. Still, not a great tire, but I'd had two sets of them on a '98 CR-V... No problems with them... On the '98, or now on the '02..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    beachin1beachin1 Member Posts: 1
    I live in Beaufort SC - I purchased my CRV in Jan 05' - and I absolutley loved it - but alas the dream came quickly to an end - 8 months into ownership and I began having problems - The service center here @ Stokes Honda in Beaufort is none compared - but purchasing a new vechile and having it in the shop 3 times now is unforgivable - 1st time in Major rattling under the car - loud hums at various speeds and water consistently dripping onto the carpet from the passenger side They replaced the alternator, water pump, and air conditioner - I was with out my vehicle for 2 weeks - and when it was returned to me - the carpet from where the compressor had leaked was still wet and smelled of mold - so I had to return it and again 3 days without my CRV - but they replaced the under capet padding -
    Now it is in again for the third time to replace the entire drive shaft - all this can be yours for just 30,000.00 dollars - hmmmm what to do?
    Beachin :cry:
  • Options
    bmw1949bmw1949 Member Posts: 1
    My "98" Crv goes into Limp mode and the Check Engine Light goes on. The dealer replaced the
    "A Solenoid" which sits on the top of the Tranny. 3 weeks later the same thing happened.
    The mechanic seems to think it is a electrical problem, not a tranny problem. Does anyone
    have the same problem and if so what could the solution be??

Thanks
    Bernie
  • Options
    barbecuesauce9barbecuesauce9 Member Posts: 67
    2006 manual says Both front sears are equipped with seat heaters in the seat bottoms only. Because of sensors for the side airbag system, there are no heaters in the seat-back in either the driver or passenger seats.

And my 2006 SE does not heat the seat-back.
    2005 or earlier manual says different?
  • Options
    97greencrv97greencrv Member Posts: 1
    Hello...my sister needs her driver side headlamp replaced and I'll be damned if I let her go to the dealership...I gave it a look and I need some help figuring this one out. Does anyone have a link to a shop manual for the 97 to 2001 CRV? And who makes the industry standard shop manual for the CRV? I think I'm going to buy one for her. A detailed description of how to replace the headlamp bulb would be great...Thanks in advance. :P
  • Options
    newfy2newfy2 Member Posts: 13
    :confuse: My 2001 CRV has almost 93K miles (already!). Since September, I've noticed the brake light comes on when I start the car and doesn't turn off. This seems to happen when I haven't driven the car within 24 hours or only in the morning. It will go weeks without any light ups and then start up again. I had our mechanic check it during an oil change - he said the brakes were fine and there was enough brake fluid. I've also checked the parking brake to make sure it wasn't engaged. While the light is on, the car stops just fine.

It's due for the 90K checkup within the next 2-3,000 miles (I had postponed the earlier one due to $$$ and I'm trying to do the same until after the holidays this time).

Is this something to be worried about? Thanks for your input!
  • Options
    ...driver side headlamp replaced and I'll be damned if I let her go to the dealership...I gave it a look and I need some help figuring this one out. Does anyone have a link to a shop manual for the 97 to 2001 CRV? And who makes the industry standard shop manual for the CRV?

Honda only provided the Honda CR-V Service Manual in printed form for the 1st Gen CR-Vs (1997-2001). Any electronic copy is illegal. You can order a service manual from your Honda dealer, or online at Helminc.com.

The directions for changing the headlight are in the Owners Manual, and fairly simple.

1. Open the hood off the engine compartment
    2. pull the rubber boot of the back of the headlight
    3. pull the wire harness off the back of the headlight
    4. disengage the headlight bulb retaining clip (it swings out of the way, doesn't come completely off)
    5. remove the bulb
    6. reverse to install new bulb

Remember not to touch the glass of the new bulb with your fingers.

Good luck.
  • Options
    It will go weeks without any light ups and then start up again. I had our mechanic check it during an oil change - he said the brakes were fine and there was enough brake fluid.

There's a fluid level sensor in the master cylinder that may be gummed up and giving you the false readings. Have you ever had the brake fluid changed? Honda recommends brake fluid replacement every 3 years/45,000 miles on my 1999 CR-V, which is mechanically identical to your 2001. Have your mechanic check the sensor and change the brake fluid.

Good luck.
  • Options
    I was wondering if it could be the sensor. I have had the brakes replaced at the Honda dealer, right about the 40K mark (big city, LOTS of stop and go driving and braking). Would they have changed the brake fluid at that time, too? Do they do that when you replace the brakes anyways? I certainly paid enough $$ for it.

I will definitely ask when I bring it in for the 90K, along with having them check the fluid level sensor. This morning (another cooler morning) the light came on again and when I arrived at my destination, I parked on a downhill incline. Sure enough, the light did not come on when I restarted.about 35 minutes later.
  • Options
    sparks389sparks389 Member Posts: 2
    Is anyone else having problems with the paint on their new CR-V? We have a black one that has easily scratched since day one. At first I blamed my husband for scratching the area around the door handle thinking he was scratching it with his keys. Then the passanger side handle started getting scratches around it & I never have keys in my hand. Now the other day when my husband took it in to get washed, the car has several round spots the size of quarters on the hood & roof where the paint has come off. We don't ever park it under the tree & make sure bird poop is always washed off right away. I'm now beginning to think the paint job is messed up, but am afraid the dealer will blame us. Before I complain to the dealer, I thought I'd see if anyone else had the same problem. Thanks
  • Options
    Would they have changed the brake fluid at that time, too? Do they do that when you replace the brakes anyways? I certainly paid enough $$ for it.

Not usually, unless you asked them to change it, or it's included in what your dealer defines as a "full brake service". They probably replaced the front pads and maybe the rear shoes, and possibly turned the front rotors and/or rear drums.

City driving really wears the brakes fast. I'm at 73,000 miles on my 1999 and have not done anything with the brakes yet. I'll probably have the front pads changed at the next service, along with a brake fluid change. The rear shoes had better than 50% left when they were checked at 60,000 miles. The front pads only had about 25%.

non-car smiley
  • Options
    tamarastertamaraster Member Posts: 107
    So I went ahead and bought Honda Care for my new CR-V. I've had it a couple of months, and I bought the Honda Care online. I like that it's transferrable to another private party, since I'll surely sell the thing myself in a few years. (I can never force myself to drive the same car more than a few years, because I'm an idiot that way.) I got 8 years / 100K miles, which would certainly make ME feel safer if I were buying a used car from someone.

It was probably a waste of money, but, whatever.
  • Options
    I don't know about your '05, but my black '02 looks like it was in a war zone... if the war zone was just around the door handles... ;)

Seriously, I think it is really crappy clearcoat.. My car is 3.5 years old, and the paint looks worse than any car I've had, since I kept an '82 Accord for 12 years..

I don't have a solution for you... Unless the paint is peeling off in sheets, it is really hard to get anything done, so I haven't pursued it..

I think Dupont makes a product called "Imperial Hand Glaze", which detailers use... It will make the scratches look like they are gone... at least until it wears off..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    ybanagybanag Member Posts: 8
    Dark colored cars are more likely to show scratches and dusts. The door handle scratches could be from fingernails. Maybe the round spots are swirl marks from the Wash place using a dirty rag or a rough cloth overzealously rubbing out a dirty spot. A 'microfiber' cloth is a better alternative. A good polish wax should be able to smooth it out as long as the scratches are just on the top clearcoat and not deep into the paint layer. If it is then a rubbing compound may be needed. Consult a pro-detailer.
  • Options
    sparks389sparks389 Member Posts: 2
    The spots on the hood & roof can be felt with your hand. It is like the paint popped & peeled off. Much worse than just scratches. I can live with the scratches, but am worried about the spots. We used to have a '74 camero which had paint problems. Come to find out years later they were using an experimental paint that year. Don't want that to happen again.
  • Options
    ybanagybanag Member Posts: 8
    It looks like a defect that needs to be addressed by the dealer.
  • Options
    crvsuckcrvsuck Member Posts: 1
    Poorrichardpttr,

I purchased a 2005 CRV about 2 months ago and am having the same problem that you have. I have taken my CRV to the dealership 4 times, had the tires cross-rotated, and the struts replaced, as well as an alignment. None of these things have fixed the problem. Please let me know if you come across anything that solves your problem. Thank you.
  • Options
    jandrjandr Member Posts: 4
    When and why would I want to turn Vehicle Stability Assist off in my 2005 CRV? The owner's manual doesn't seem to have an answer, the dealer wasn't sure, and the Honda helpline didn't have a solid explanation. Anyone know why there's an on/off switch for this?
  • Options
    Thank you! I certainly appreciate the head's up and will make sure they change the brake fluid next time I take it in.
  • Options
    defieldingdefielding Member Posts: 35
    If the vehicle ever needs to be towed this switch should be used to switch off the Vehicle Stability Assist.
  • Options
    Also, if you are in deep snow, it is sometimes helpful to have some wheelspin to get momentum... VSA generally retards wheelspin...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    silveronesilverone Member Posts: 1
    My rear driver's side disk brake rotor has been chewed up recently. At first I though perhaps we had some grit or gravel stuck between the pad and rotor. After removing the wheel and then pads, I found that our car was running on the steel and there was simply no pad left.

The vehicle has 48 000 kms. I would expect front brakes to go first and they appear ok. I'm guessing the pads would not return to the fully open position and the sliders they run on seized up. Is this expected wear and tear? Under warranty? Almost all of my driving is highway.
    Advice is welome and appreciated.
  • Options
    tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    It sure sounds like the right rear brake was sticking to have worn out that quickly. I don't know if the warranty would cover it but it couldn't hurt to ask the dealer. If they don't cover it you could always try Honda directly.
  • Options
    barbecuesauce9barbecuesauce9 Member Posts: 67
    I thought 4wd has to be on the flat bed when towed?
    If I turn VSA off, V can be towed with two wheel on the ground?
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    hmmm. that doesn't seem to make sense.

i believe VSA would modulate the brakes of individual wheels based on yaw-rate and steering wheel position information, to straighten-out the vehicle in a loss of control scenario, but i think you have to have the vehicle powered up for ABS, traction control and VSA to kick in.

i'm guessing you might have to flat-bed a 4WD vehicle because the front and rear drive-trains are linked in some way, and you can't have the fronts or the rears spining while the others are stopped.

what does your owner's manual say on the topic of towing?
  • Options
    chuck914chuck914 Member Posts: 15
    Depending on where you live, such Ontario Canada & some Northern U.S. States, road salt or even worse--spraying of saline solution (salty water with another chemical) may cause excessive corrosion. If this is the situation, than it isn't covered as that's maintainance, i.e., siezed slider.

If you have a defective caliper -- sticking piston within the caliper unit -- than you should get complete warranty. Although, you may need to replace/pay for the brake pads.

Brakes wear depending on driving habits--I mainly drive highway, I just changed my brake pads because the dealer was about to machine all my rotors under warranty--I replaced the pads myself a couple of days before taking in my CRV--at 60,000 km -- I had about 30% left on the front, 20% left on the rear--bought the pads from the dealer as they were within $12.00 of after-market parts. Front rotors were replaced, rears were machined -- NC :)

Although highway driving should be easier on brakes, but the exception occurs when highway driver's need emergency braking, i.e., high speed to stop-and-go, multiple ramps/exits from high speed to low speed. Under those conditions, I've seen more wear than somebody who drives slowly in the city and "times" the traffic lights.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    kydfx - do you mean traction control? VSA activates based on the vehicle experiencing yaw doesn't it?