Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,369
    Stability control incorporates the ABS sensors, as well as steering angle, etc, to determine if the car is skidding... It is not roll-over protection..

When it senses that the car is skidding it uses either braking on an individual wheel, or retards acceleration to bring the car back in line...

Either of these will stop wheelspin.... Trust me.. in heavy snow, you may need to turn it off to get moving...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

PS: Okay.. now the rest of you can fill in the details that I have wrong..lol

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    what does your owner's manual say on the topic of towing?

It says when you tow a CR-V with RT4WD all four wheels must be off the ground or all four wheels must be on the ground. Never tow it with just two wheels on the ground.
  • Options
    danvancedanvance Member Posts: 13
    Hi,

Our 2004 honda CR-V has what I consider bad torque steer. It pulls to the right under any acceleration situation. It's a real pain to drive. Any one of our friends who have driven it say that it's hard to drive because you always have to correct it as you accellerate. We took it to the dealer and they gave it a clean bill of health and said that the torque steer is normal. It's currently under warranty.

My wife doens't want the car if we can't get it fixed. It's a real bummer because everything else about the car is great. I'm really not sure what the next step is. I'm going to feel bad selling the car to a private party knowing that this is an issue.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Does there seem like something I'm missing here?

Thanks,
    Daniel
  • Options
    We took it to the dealer and they gave it a clean bill of health and said that the torque steer is normal.

While I can get my CR-V to display torque steer, it only happens under very hard acceleration, not when I'm accelerating normally.

Does it pull when you're driving along at constant speed? You may have the PTTR problem (Pull To The Right). Honda has released several Technical Service Bulletins about PTTR problems. If your dealer won't fix the problem, contact Honda directly. The contact information is in your Owners Manual and also in the warranty guide that came with your CR-V.

Good luck.
  • Options
    barbecuesauce9barbecuesauce9 Member Posts: 67
    I thought so too. Should I turn VSA off when it is towed on the flat? or just towed when all fours wheels are on the ground?
  • Options
    Should I turn VSA off when it is towed on the flat? or just towed when all fours wheels are on the ground?

What does your Owners Manual say about towing the CR-V? I know what mine says, but since I drive a 1999 CR-V it doesn't mention VSA.
  • Options
    Mine says nothing on VSA and towing.
    For emergency towing, it must be on flat bed.
    For non-emergency towing like towing behind a motorhome, it can be towed behind a motorhome at legal highway speeds(65mph).
    Like you said, four wheel on the ground or off the ground.
    The reason why I asked is one gentleman said "If the vehicle ever needs to be towed this switch should be used to switch off the Vehicle Stability Assist".
    But I do not see any part of manual says shuts off VSA when towed. If it is on flat bed, why does it have to be off? maybe behind a motorhome towing??
    Good thing I do not own a motorhome
  • Options
    I agree... If it is on a flatbed, it won't matter... it won't be any different than if you were parked in the garage at home...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    jandrjandr Member Posts: 4
    So after reading all the replies (and thanks to all of you for replying), it would seem that towing is not related to VSA on/off but extra wheelspin in certain situations is. This would seem to support the somewhat vague answer I got from the Honda helpline. They replied that certain offroad situations may be better tackled with VSA off. Unfortunately, I got this secondhand from the first guy who answered the phone and wasn't able to press for a more thorough explanation.

Isn't is odd, though, that the owner's manual doesn't offer an explanation? Or did I just miss it? Jim
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    with all due respect to kyfdx, i think VSA would only kick in if the car were powered up. So for towing it is a non-issue in my mind.

also - it is traction control that modulates the ABS to stop wheel spin at low speeds. If you are in snow and stuck, turning off traction control might be useful in some situations.

however, unless i completely misunderstand VSA, there has to be a yaw rate sensed by the system. (therefore, if you want to do donuts in a parking lot, turn the VSA off...heh heh), but it isn't (or shouldn't in my mind) affect you trying to get unstuck.

yea, I could imagine that in some offroad situations, VSA might be better turned off... i'd have to think about it though, maybe a muddy slope or something. ;)
  • Options
    I agree.. the VSA won't "kick in" if the car is off...

But, no matter what VSA senses, or what it uses to sense the "lack of stability" (I use that term, because I don't think it senses yaw at all), the question is: What does it do in response?.

It uses the ABS system and the engine to brake individual wheels or reduce engine acceleration... This is what stops your wheels from spinning, and keeps you stuck in heavy snow (or whatever).

My CR-V doesn't have VSA, but my wife's car has stability control... and I have real-world experience with it.... With stability control on, you go nowhere.... though, once you are moving it does amazing things... If you need out of deep snow, you have to turn it off.... It is the only way to get wheelspin...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums
    (who may be utterly and completely wrong...lol)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    to brake individual wheels or reduce engine acceleration... This is what stops your wheels from spinning, and keeps you stuck in heavy snow (or whatever).

AFAIK, this is accomplished by the ABS system at the command of traction control if you are trying to accelerate. i'm not sure it de-rates engine output though.

I don't think it senses yaw at all
    I think it (VSA) does. At least it does in other vehicle make implementations. Not sure how Honda could accomplish VSA without a yaw-rate sensor (solid state accelerometer). Agreed, VSA would de-rate engine output if necessary.

(I may be utterly and completely wrong too.) ;)
  • Options
    danvancedanvance Member Posts: 13
    I haven't notice PTTR without accellerating. I'm going to take a tech out for a test drive to show them what's happening since they can't seem to find it.

-Daniel
  • Options
    nolefan1nolefan1 Member Posts: 17
    After digging through the glove compartment materal I found small Quick Guide from Honda says that the 2005 SE driver's seatback has a heater and that the passenger's only has a heated seat bottom.
  • Options
    Wish I had a heater in the seatback. It's getting cold. Do you have a black leather? How did you manage at summer? Heard it really gets hot.
  • Options
    FWIW, I found the following which mentions VSA for those interested:
    http://www.digitalcar.org/automag/toptech/1298t07.htm

Unfortunately, if you go to Honda's site, there isn't much indepth information about their implementation. I suspect however, that the implementations across makes, in general utilize the same or very similar principles, yaw-rate detection being one element.
  • Options
    nolefan1nolefan1 Member Posts: 17
    The leather was a little hot for the first few minutes after getting in the car, but the A/C cooled things off quickly and it wasn't a big deal.

We have the black leather and we really like it. I know that the CRV is on the lower-end of the SUV line up (compared to the BMWs and Acuras). However, the leather seats (basically leather seat bottoms and seat backs with vinyl sides and trim) are fairly low quality (not very soft) and look and feel like vinyl. I'm an active young guy, but I have started noticing that the seats are a little stiff and hard, especially after a long drive. That and the fairly small gas tank are my only minor complaints about the car (after five months). I'd definitely buy it again.

We still like the seats, but we've had passengers who commented that they look like vinyl seats. Some friends, huh? A good friend has an Xterra that has AMAZINGLY soft and comfortable luxurious leather seats and I admit that I am a little bit envious of them. That said, I love the CR-V and wouldn't trade it for any other peer SUV.
  • Options
    ybanagybanag Member Posts: 8
    Will the keyless remote be disabled or the chip inside be affected if placed close to a magnetic field source?
    I plan to place the grey valet spare key inside a hide-a-way key box that has a magnet on it so I could hide it underneath.
  • Options
    therivertheriver Member Posts: 70
    I have an 04. Just today, at a few stop signs while stopping I heard a squeeling sound, as if a belt was struggling - then all of a sudden it catches. It goes on for a few 5 seconds or more. It was an extremely moist day. The car has 25K on it. The differential oil was recently changed so I know it is not that. Seems to be coming from the front, but 25K seems soon to be changing a belt - anyone else have this problem.
  • Options
    lmoyer1lmoyer1 Member Posts: 6
    Have a Gray 2005 and find around the door handles the paint scratches very easily also. Does anyone make a clear decal that could be put on the car to prevent scratches by the handle?

Lyle
  • Options
    astropilastropil Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2000 AWD CRV LX with 96K miles. I bought it used. It runs well in general. It has this annoying clunking noise that comes from the rear end, mostly on left turns and on uneaven surfaces. It's like something is binding, and then there is one clunk or snap, then I won't hear it for a while. It will make this noise going forward or in reverse, such as backing out of my driveway, to the left. I have checked the rear control arm bushings and shocks, and they all appear to be ok. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    sockpuppet1969sockpuppet1969 Member Posts: 308
    Took delivery of a 2006 CR-V SE today. No PTTR! I was terrified after hearing all the stories on this board. Awesome car!
  • Options
    Did you change rear differential fluid?
  • Options
    Congratulations!
    I picked up mine on oct 21.
    I never testdrive CR-V before and even on the day I picked up.
    I told my salesman about PTTR issue and he told me he knows about it.
    So I told him "I will bring it right back if it pulls to the right and you give me a loaner car until you fix it". He said yes.
    They are 35 miles away from me so I selftest it at local and highway(over 60mph) and no PTTR.
    I do believe PTTR problems still exist but I guess I am lucky.

Well, I am doing my best not to go over 2500 rpm and no rapid start/stop for break in period.
    What color did you get?
  • Options
    I plan to, but prior messages indicate older fluid will lead to a continual noise, not one-at-a-time clunks/knocks. Plus, the noise seems to be coming from the outer sides of the suspension, not in the middle.
  • Options
    sockpuppet1969sockpuppet1969 Member Posts: 308
    We got the white with "ivory" (a.k.a. tan) leather interior. My wife will be the primary driver and was afraid the black on black would be too hot. I installed our Sirius satellite radio right away and will order the roof rack, front mud guards and cargo cover today. Too bad Sirius is not an option on the factory radio - much better than XM IMHO. We are also going to get an aftermarket navigation system, since we got our '03 Accord with NAV we can't live without it anymore and seeing as how the CR-V will become our "family truckster" it makes sense.

One final question to the masses - the built in remote in the second key does not work. I assume I need to take it to the dealer to get it reprogrammed, right? (the battery is not dead because the little light comes on when I hit the buttons).
  • Options
    For the parts, you can check www.handaaccessories.com www.fairhondapartsforyou.com www.collegehillshonda.com(Best honda dealer website I think). For the roof rack(non-OEM), there is sale going on the main page at www.hondasuv.com. It is like $162 shipped.

Wish the navigation,programmable auto lock and daytime running lights come with SE.

I checked my second key and gray key to start the car and both keys are working including remote.
    You can search how to program the key here or take it to the dealer.
    I just won the blank key fob on ebay and he said it comes with the manual how to program. If I get the key, I can tell you how.
    Wonder the regular hardware is able to cut the key.
  • Options
    blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Hello...my sister needs her driver side headlamp replaced and I'll be damned if I let her go to the dealership...I gave it a look and I need some help figuring this one out. Does anyone have a link to a shop manual for the 97 to 2001 CRV? And who makes the industry standard shop manual for the CRV? I think I'm going to buy one for her. A detailed description of how to replace the headlamp bulb would be great...Thanks in advance.

The light bulb replacement instructions are in the OWNER's MANUAL, no need to buy $60 Helms to replace a bulb.
  • Options
    I have not had CR-V in the winter yet, but I highly doubt Honda put YAW sensors in the VSA system.

First off all, we have a 3 channel ABS, where the fronts are two separate channels and the rear is one channel. AFAIK the VSA only controls the throttle (hence the need for crive by wire in the 2005) and MAY apply brakes to lock up the differential.

Like I said I have not had a chance to test it, to make a definitive conclusion. I am waitng for the first snow that sticks so I can test the system.

So far, the hard acceleration from start has caused the VSA light to flash. I have tried hard take offs on a rainy day with and witout VSA. With VSA it just cuts the throttle, without VSA the front started hopping like badly tuned FWD vehicle.

I have a 2005 EX 5 MAN.

In simple terms, the VSA we have is just integration of Drive-by-wire, ABS and EBD, with nothing more.
  • Options
    pelchatpelchat Member Posts: 2
    Hello varmint. I think, looking at your inputs concerning clunking noises in the front suspension of CRVs that you might have the answer to my problem.Two months ago I bought a new 2005 CRV LX. The odometer now indicates 3400 km. Right from the begining I noticed a clunking noise coming mainly from the right front suspension (like a metal-to-metal knock). This noise occurs on small sharp bumps or potholes. Upon my first visit to the dealer, the technician who road tested the CRV agreed on the abnormal noise and suggested it might come from a defective right front shock. After the new shock installation and realignement of the front end the clunking noise was still there. So I paid a second visit to the dealer. This time they decided to install acoustic probes on the supension to detect the location of the noise. Since I had to leave my car for the day, they had someone drive me back home in a 2005 CRV LX with only 1400 km on it. To my surprise I heard the same clunking noise (in similar road conditions) in this new CRV. When I recuperated my car at the end of the day the dealer told me that they had found nothing wrong with the front suspension and that the noise is normal and due to the design. So here are two new 2005 CRVs with the same front suspension
    noise....which the Honda dealer claims to be normal. I am really puzzled because my driving experience of many years tells me that this noise is not normal. Maybe the old TSB notice you mentioned applies to my new CRV. How could I get my hands on this TSB notice. Thanks for your help.
    Dan
  • Options
    may i ask how do you know your ABS is only 3-channel. is this in your owner's manual?

i personally am having a hard time believing the VSA, at least in the CRV wouldn't depend on yaw information, but your description makes sense.

the description you are making of the VSA on a rainy day, I would have thought was the function of the Traction Control.

confused.
  • Options
    barbinkcbarbinkc Member Posts: 22
    Need some experienced advice here. I have a 1998 CRV with 79,000 miles on it. The owner's manual says to replace the timing belt at 100,000 miles or 7 years, whichever comes first. Is it really necessary to change the timing belt at 7 years if the mileage is below 100,000? Anyone have any advice to offer here? This is a fairly expensive maintenance item (for my budget anyway) so I'm wondering if I have any leeway here or if I should make it a priority to change it out before the end of the year. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Difficult to answer. You are probably okay but you are, in fact, rolling the dice on a pretty good bet, but a bet nonetheless. If it were possible to easily inspect the belt visually for cracks or oil contamination, that might make your decision easier.
  • Options
    barbinkcbarbinkc Member Posts: 22
    So if I were to make it a priority by the end of 2006 (which was my plan) then you think it would probably be okay?
  • Options
    Oh, I'm not gonna say that. All I'm saying is that it might last or it might not. Would I take a chance if I were you? Maybe for a little while but I don't know about another 1.2 years. If I could peek at the belt I'd feel better about stringing it out until the end of 2006.
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    My advice, replace the belt. Most dealers have a special when it's time to change the belt; new water pump, fan belts, anti-freeze, cost me $575 plus they gave me a rental for the day.
  • Options
    gitzergitzer Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone have any experience with mice getting in? The only problem we have with our 2005 EX is that every morning we find mouse P&P in the center consol cup holders. We leave the air on recirculate but that doesn't work. Did they have to chew through the fresh air filter to get inside? Where is the air intake located? I would like to try putting a wire screen over the intake if I knew where it was. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    If you postpone it and the belt breaks you destroy the engine.

My 1999 CR-V has 76,000 miles on. It's going in next summer for the timing belt, although I'll be far short of 105,000 miles.

JM2C
  • Options
    me3me3 Member Posts: 30
    They may already be in the vehicle and got there from some other source i.e., in a box, or maybe through the moonroof if it was left open. All air intakes already have screens in them. Set traps
  • Options
    may i ask how do you know your ABS is only 3-channel. is this in your owner's manual?

Window sticker aka Malroney (sp???) sticker.

i personally am having a hard time believing the VSA, at least in the CRV wouldn't depend on yaw information, but your description makes sense.

the description you are making of the VSA on a rainy day, I would have thought was the function of the Traction Control.

confused.

Like I said, I will find out if it does or does not have Yaw sensor after it snows. So far, I have only seen it control the throttle. For the minimal price increase for the 2005 model, I don't see how Honda could afford the more complicated Vehicle Stability Control, hence they call it Vehicle Stability Assist (new acronym for Traction control??).
  • Options
    jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    FWIW, "VSA" is Honda's brand name for its stability control system. Even the $50K Acura RL is described as equipped with "Vehicle Stability Assist". We can't draw conclusions about the system from its name, although you may be correct about its implementation in the CR-V.
  • Options
    oh, but it's implementation in the Acura would be different? didn't think of that. i figured VSA in an Accord, Odyssey, CRV, Pilot, MDX, TL, RL would essentially be the same.

with 3-channel ABS and no YAW sensor, this vehicle wouldn't implement "stability control" nor have the functionality that one might expect.

this is confusing.
  • Options
    tennisgirl2tennisgirl2 Member Posts: 4
    Just bought a new 06 CRV - it is my second CRV. It had a vibration noise whenever I had my foot on the gas pedal and just maintaining. The noise was not unlike the buzz of the 96 Hondas and I thought they fixed the problem. The dealership replaced the whole exhaust system. It was better but still the buzzing noise at about 40 mph. Took it to another dealership and they discovered it was the propeller in the drive shaft. Totally fixed the problem! I also switched my tires to the Goodyear Assurances thinking it was a tire problem. I did not want the hard ride of the Duelers since I don't drive off road. Honda service is the best -- this is my sixth Honda and first problem that stumped everyone.
  • Options
    Took it to another dealership and they discovered it was the propeller in the drive shaft.

I think you mean it was the propeller shaft, which is the "drive" shaft that connects rear differential in a CR-V with RT4WD to the transmission in the front.
  • Options
    tennisgirl2tennisgirl2 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the correction. I am concerned that I have a brand new car with two major repairs with less than 200 miles on the car. Should I have demanded a different car under the Lemon Law? Are these serious types of repairs? I hope everything will be all right now.
  • Options
    Should I have demanded a different car under the Lemon Law?

I can't answer that question, because lemon laws vary from state to state. If you're concerned about the CR-V you bought then research what the laws are in your state, and how you might go about invoking them to replace your CR-V with a new one.

Good luck.
  • Options
    I have a 2004 Mazda Tribute which had noise similar to your CRV from day 1 (isn't it funny how you don't notice some obvious problems during the test drive?) It made a clear knocking noise from the right front shock when going over quick series of road bumps. After driving a Mazda mechanic around for a while, he finally agreed the noise sounded odd and he would look at the front end. Well, what he found was a defective shock tower, which is unit which mounts the top of the shock to the body. I don't know exactly what was wrong, but they replaced something in the tower and the noise was resolved. I would suggest that you have them take a closer look at this. It is a bit odd though that you heard the noise in another 2005 CRV. Is the left side ok? Maybe its not the shock you hear.
  • Options
    I would think 100,000 miles is really pushing a timing belt. Honda used to recommend 60,000 miles.

But, does anyone out there know, if you are changing the timing belt yourself, how you can tell if the tension on the belt is proper?
  • Options
    Usually the tech manual tells you to use a gauge or gives you a rule of thumb to check tension and make adjustments.
  • Options
    bearhllbearhll Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have a 2002 CRV EX with 103000 miles.
    Last week I had my engine lite come on and after going thru all the gas cap and other checks, they determined that the TP Sensor was the issue. I also had the unhappy experience to discover that the sensor is part of the Throttle Body, (Carb to us old folks) and couldn't be ordered separately. It cost $896.96. Good luck