Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    tajsuvtajsuv Member Posts: 5
    Do you think that the compressor issue can be related to our situation?
  • Options
    jeanne193jeanne193 Member Posts: 8
    The reports I have seen of the usual compressor problem relate the same scenario: You are driving with the a/c on, you hear a loud noise from the engine for a few seconds and then the a/c stops blowing cold air. For some of us, this is followed by parts falling off...in my case it was the a/c clutch that fell off the next day on the way to the dealer. My check engine light never came on and there were no problems with the a/c leading up to the compressor failure.
  • Options
    yes, the codes that he cleared were PO122 TPS Sensor and PO 1457 Evap System.
  • Options
    nolefan1nolefan1 Member Posts: 17
    Does anyone know about a problem with the heated driver's seat on the 2005 SE? I used the heated seat feature the other day and noticed that while the seat warmed, the seat back did not. Is this a common problem, or is it normal?
    Thanks
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Take it in when the check engine light is on. They'll read the code, print it out, with recommendations on what to do. If they're not clear, find an internet msg board for your vehicle and ask there. Google the error code also.
    I did that with my '98 Mustang, don't remember the exact code, but they recommended to replace the left O2 sensor, which I did and it fixed the problem. Cost of the O2 sensor was $70 at the auto parts store. Cost at the dealership, $90 to read the code, plus 1 hour diagnosis, $150 for the O2 sensor, another hour for verificiation. You can do the math.
  • Options
    jake14jake14 Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

Has anyone noticed that when, in an automatic transmission CR-V (I've got a 2005 LX AWD), if you are stopped at a light on an uphill, if you let your foot off the brake you roll backwards more than in most automatic transmission cars?

Thanks.
  • Options
    barbecuesauce9barbecuesauce9 Member Posts: 67
    www.newsday.com/mynews/ny-whdoc4456634oct07,0,1950947.column
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Ideas? Yeah...you really need to find a mechanic with a higher level of skill.
  • Options
    This comes up from time to time and I don't understand why.

ALL cars will do this! That's what the brake pedel is for.

The only exceptions I know of are some Subarus and Studebakers that had a "hill holder".
  • Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    the codes that he cleared were PO122 TPS Sensor and PO 1457 Evap System.

These are what I found:

P0122 Throttle Position (TP) Sensor Circuit Low Input
    P1457 Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) Control System Leakage (EVAP Canister System)

I believe there's a Honda Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) on both of these codes for your CR-V year; I know for certain there is one on the P1457. Please take your CR-V to a Honda Dealer with the paperwork from your mechanic that documents the codes he cleared.

Good luck.
  • Options
    juliedujuliedu Member Posts: 3
    I have an '02 EX with about 45,000 miles on it. Right after I put new tires on it starting making a humming noise coming from the rear only at 46-50 mph. The tire place looked at it and said it's a wheel bearing. (didn't seem right) Took it to the dealer and they claim I need to replace my rear differntial ($1900!!--out of warranty) They say its from not changing the fluid likely. (still had 15k miles before it was even recommended--however reading some other posts, maybe not) Any one else have this problem?

Thanks! Julie
  • Options
    You replaced all four tires, right? And all four are the exact same model of tire, right?

First have the dual pump fluid in the rear differential replaced. If the noise continues, have it replaced again. Sometimes it takes a couple of changes to eliminate the noise.

If after a couple of changes of dual pump fluid it is still making noise I'd contact Honda directly (not the dealer - the contact information is in the back of your Owners Manual), as I believe your owner manual doesn't list a rear differential fluid change until way past 45,000 miles. Even though you're out of warranty they may cover the cost, or at least part of it.

Good luck!
  • Options
    no, they aren't actually all the same as I had a blow out, and then replaced the other 3 later. My brother was telling me that can pose a problem with AWD, however I was reading something that Honda does something so that's not an issue. (can't remember what exactly I read)

Interesting that the dealer said no point in changing the fluid now when I asked. And yes, the manual calls for a replacement of the fluid at 60,000.

Thanks so much!
    Julie
  • Options
    kfitz1kfitz1 Member Posts: 2
    10/17/05 Just a quick follow-up to my earlier email on 9/14/2005. My local dealership in St.Louis immediately acknowledged the fact that there have been issues with the AC Compressor on the CRV, and was willing to assist with the repair costs. Although, it was the first time they saw it on a 2001 model. He said they have been seeing it on the 02/03 models. Even though I was out of warranty, they agreed to fix the problem and charge me 1/2 of their cost which ended up being $1568.00. So my bill for $784.00 was a nice surprise, considering I was originally being quoted $2700 from my independent mechanic. I was very pleased with their resolution and sure hope this doesn't happen again in another 60,000 miles.
  • Options
    hcmmikehcmmike Member Posts: 19
    I have a 2002 CRV...the differential fluid was first changed by the dealer in May 2005, when I complained about noise at the rear of the car, which my children noticed when riding in the back seat...the dealer found nothing wrong but recommended changing the diff. fluid...the I brought it in last week for 60,000 mile service...the diff. fluid was changed again, along with all the other work that goes into the 60,000 mile maintenance...

When I called the dealer to ask about the fact the fluid was changed twice in 5 months, I was told that because I had waited so long to have it changed the first time (which I had trouble grasping since I always have the work done they recommend), it probably needed the change again only 5 months and about 5,000 miles later.

Frankly, this raises two questions in my mind. (1) was the second change really necessary (maybe they didn't carch the fact it was just changed in May) and the dealer's comment was just something to say so I wouldn't continue to question it and (2) if the fluid did have to be changed twice in 5 months, is this a sign of potential problems (the dealer claims it isn't)...thanks in advance...
  • Options
    no, they aren't actually all the same as I had a blow out, and then replaced the other 3 later. My brother was telling me that can pose a problem with AWD, however I was reading something that Honda does something so that's not an issue. (can't remember what exactly I read)

Tires of different circumference can cause a problem, since the Honda RT4WD system is activated by the difference in rotational speed of the front and rear axle. If you have different sized tires, it could cause the RT4WD system to keep engaging, then heating up, disengaging due to the heat relief valve, then engaging again when it cools down, and then repeat the process. The RT4WD system will accomdate tires that are slightly different in size, but if there's a big difference it will cause a problem.

There's an FAQ here on the Edmunds board that explains How Does RT4WD Work better than I can.

Good luck.
  • Options
    If the first change stopped the noise the second change was not necessary so soon. So I choose the second 1/2 of (1) the dealer's comment was just something to say so I wouldn't continue to question it

JM2C
  • Options
    hcmmikehcmmike Member Posts: 19
    they claim they didn't find any noise...my kids say it continued, and still continues even after the second change...
  • Options
    There's a pretty easy test for the rear differential noise.

Find an empty parking lot.
    Open the drivers window and stick your head out.
    Drive slowly in a tight left turn, listening for a moaning/groaning sound from underneath.
    Now do the same thing, but drive in a straight line.
    Still hear the sound?

No - it's probably the rear differential
    Yes - might be a wheel bearing. If you have replaced one or two of the tires, it might also be the rear differential, since it's somewhat sensitive to different tire sizes.

Good luck.
  • Options
    I think I read that earlier today! I have been researching like crazy since this diagnosis on Saturday. I called a different dealer today and explained what I am hearing. He said he highly doubts the rear differential actually needs to be replaced. ( I didn't tell him of my diagnosis). He also explained what you just did about the tire circumference. I am starting to believe that I may have been victim of "lady with a baby syndrome", you know, "she won't know the difference. Who knows. I am going to take it to this other dealer--for a second opinion none the less. My dh also mentioned that wouldn't they have needed to disassemble it to some degree to come up with this diagnosis in the first place....meaning, changing (draining) the fluid which they did not??
    hmmmmm.....

thanks again for the speedy responses....you have been ever so helpful!
    Julie
  • Options
    epm1epm1 Member Posts: 32
    Julie, in this forum check out message 3540. I got no answers(differental fluid changed, etc) until I found the web site listed and their letter on "tire alert"- I measured and changed tires and had no further problems. 1 inch in circumference is only a few 16th's of tread wear. I have since been told on some cheaper tires of the same brand you may find differences in the circumference greater than 1 inch. epm1
  • Options
    windywoowindywoo Member Posts: 10
    I really had my mind set to purchase a 2006 CR-V. After reading the messages concerning the PTTR problem, I am now hesitant. After the service bulletin 05-022 from 4-29-05 was established, do you think Honda has corrected the problem for the 06 models? Do you think it is safe to buy a 06 or should I look to another model? I have had three Hondas previously. Thus far, I have had very few problems in past models. I need your input. Thanks!
  • Options
    me3me3 Member Posts: 30
    I would simply test drive the vehicle. Sometimes we make things harder than they have to be. ;)
  • Options
    barbecuesauce9barbecuesauce9 Member Posts: 67
    Had a chance to talk to soneone who purchased 06 V and he believes he is having PTTR problem. He did not feel it on test drive. Guess it still exists.
    But I am waiting for my SE and won't bother test driving before I sign.
  • Options
    rcracing2005rcracing2005 Member Posts: 1
    On My Honda the heated seat option only heats the seat not the back. On the heated seat indicator it only indicates the seat has wavy lines not the back.
  • Options
    He "believes" he is having a PTTR problem??

He either is or he isn't and I doubt if he is.

Still...I have yet to experience this in any of the hundreds of CRV's I have driven and ridden in including the ones that I have owned.

This is WAY overblown!
  • Options
    windywoowindywoo Member Posts: 10
    Thank you for your input. I have made up my mind to buy the CR-V as intended. Consumer Reports has given the vehicle an outstanding rating for reliability. I do not understand how the rating could be so high if numerous people had so many problems.

I did want to know your experience in owning CR-V's as you around them through work and home. Do you still own a CR-V?
  • Options
    cybernut04cybernut04 Member Posts: 98
    isellhondas said: "This is WAY overblown!"

I'm sure that, in your opinion, it is way overblown.

You have yet to experience PTTR in a CR-V, so that issue is overblown. You have yet to experience an engine fire in a CR-V, so that issue is overblown. You have yet to experience an A/C compressor failure, so that issue is overblown.

This is not scientific research by any means, but I did a google search on "honda crv pttr" and came up with 277 hits ... townhall-talk.edmunds.com, autos.yahoo.com, hondasuv.com, gocrvclub.org, forums.vmag.com, network54.com, vtec.net, etc., etc. It may turn out that, like the engine fire issue, PTTR affects only a small number of CR-Vs ... but if you're one of the unlucky ones, the problem is hardly overblown.

Perhaps what is truly overblown is Honda's reputation - once deserved, I believe - for quality vehicles.
  • Options
    blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Does anyone know about a problem with the heated driver's seat on the 2005 SE? I used the heated seat feature the other day and noticed that while the seat warmed, the seat back did not. Is this a common problem, or is it normal?
    Thanks

I believe it states in the OWNER's MANUAL that only the bottom cushion is heated.
  • Options
    We are on our second CRV and we think they are great!

All cars can have problems. Things get amplified in forums like this.
  • Options
    Yes, that is correct.

I own a CRV and have driven a ton of them and gone along on rides in even more.

NEVER ONCE have I felt a pull or had a customer mention this.

And our shop has changed the oil in hundreds of CRV's...no fires! Imagine that?

Sure, some people will always have an oddball problem and Honda needs to be ever vigilant on quality control. No question about that.

Still, misery loves company and the people with troubles go to the forums to complain and tell their tales of woe.
  • Options
    fussycrvownerfussycrvowner Member Posts: 179
    I am interested that you have driven hundreds of CRVs. Would you be willing to comment on any consistent defects through the 2nd Generation model years? My best source for information so far has been alldata.com and forums such as this one. I had the PTTR issue on the '02 which turned out to be the bearing plate on the struts. Unfortunately the dealer couldn't figure it out and I ended up going to a tire shop with the bulletin in hand. I decided that it was not in my best interest to get into a grudge match with the service department to resolve. All in all, I would rather have what I consider minor issues than something I worry will fall apart as soon as the warranty expires. That I why I switched to Hondas in the first place.
  • Options
    me3me3 Member Posts: 30
    I'm just curious about how many CR-Vs others have driven. I have only driven one... the one I own. It does not have a PTTR problem. That does not mean that I do not believe that there is a problem. There most undoubtedly is!

This does not discount isellhondas' comment that he has not experienced PTTR in hundreds of drives/ride-alongs. I believe him. Again, this does not mean that the problem does not exist. It is, however, an indication that it is may not be as widespread as some believe.

As a teenager, I convinced my friend that he needed to replace the air in his tires. I told him that the frigid temperatures in Minnesota cause the air to accumulate on the lower portion of his tires when he parked and since he parked in the same location every night, the build up was severe. Now, of course, I was pulling his chain. Nonetheless, he was so convinced that he did it. I got a great laugh out of it and told him it was just a joke. He continued to replace his air for several years.

Why am I telling you this? Once you get something into your head it can be very difficult to separate the fiction from the reality. The way that a number of people describe PTTR points to road crown issues, torque steer, or normal drifting... but the PTTR issue is all they see.

Is PTTR real? YES

Is it as widespread as some believe? NO (IMHO)

I would also be curious as to how may of the 277 Google hits were ongoing conversations about the same vehicle... across several forums. I believe a number of us here frequent other forums too.

BTW- These forums draw the same types of people.

One would be the dutiful shopper who researches every aspect of a vehicle before laying their hard-earned cash on the table.

Another is the one who has a very real problem and is seeking information on how to best deal with it before laying their hard-earned cash on the service counter.

Another is the enthusiast who loves to discuss their vehicle.

Another...

Just an observation.
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I am interested that you have driven hundreds of CRVs. Would you be willing to comment on any consistent defects through the 2nd Generation model years?"

Ummm, I think you are mixing his quotes. He said his shop had none hundreds of CR-V oil changes, and that he had driven a "ton" of CR-Vs.

Since a CR-V weighs almost 2 tons, that is 1.75 CR-V's he has driven... :P
  • Options
    steve royalsteve royal Member Posts: 82
    I have yet to encounter any Honda dealer or Honda vehicle mechanic that has ever admitted that they drove a CRV that had PTTR. I have personally dealt with no less than five (5) separate persons from two dealers (and the regional manager from Honda) that had CRVs on their lot that had PTTR. However, for some reason, these persons had never experienced the PTTR. In fact, after initiating the Lemon Law process, and pressuring Honda into buying back the CRV, the regional manager continued to insist that he had never experienced a CRV with PTTR (even after he drove my CRV with PTTR). I don't doubt that a relatively small amount of CRVs have PTTR. However, I find it incredulous that of the five different persons that worked for HONDA and had CRVs with PTTR for sale on their respective lots, none had ever experienced PTTR. You be the judge as to the truth of these people.

On another note, I have noticed that these forums attract people that work for Honda that will attempt to minimize every complaint that they read about regarding someone having less than a pleasant experience with Honda. If you search the extensive postings by these people, you wonder whether they have enough time to do anything else but read these forums and downplay any perceived problem by the public. Steve
  • Options
    mafernamaferna Member Posts: 83
    Again,

If Honda issues a TSB, there IS a problem (possibly limited to a very few % of CR-Vs, but STILL a problem). The fact that you have not experienced it does not mean that there is not a problem.
  • Options
    fussycrvownerfussycrvowner Member Posts: 179
    You know, it's funny how things get mixed up in translation. It's sort of like buying a house - the realtor says the house is "solid", the home inspector says the same but wait until you ask the in-laws. I'm not out to make anybody eat their words - there is some truth to both sides of the argument. The best thing to do like any purchase is to check it out thoroughly before signing. I used to buy another product because of a family discount, but it didn't mean much when trading in a car every two years for major issues starting - mainly 2 blown head gaskets after 15,000 miles on two cars. Yes, there may be a small number of Vs out there with PTTR, maybe built at the end of the shift on Friday before a holiday weekend. The key is to test drive it first. If there is a PTTR, it will manifest itself within a very short time. Otherwise my guess would be road hazard related.
  • Options
    About the google search ....

I also searched Ford Escape PTTR (45 hits), Toyota RAV4 PTTR (14 hits), and Jeep Liberty PTTR (10 hits) ... and many of the hits were CR-V discussions that mentioned these SUVs only as alternatives to the CR-V. (I didn't read all the messages, but in glancing at the short blurb that google gives for each hit, my impression was that the other small SUVs don't have a problem with PTTR, or, if they do have a problem, it isn't as serious as Honda's) There were also multiple hits on the same source document, and the numbers are climbing due to the flurry of messages here in the last couple of days.

Like I said, this was not a scientific search. But when PTTR is searched in conjunction with Honda CR-V, there are many more times the hits as with other small SUVs. That shows that a number of people are talking about the problem. Is it widespread? Probably not. Is the issue overblown? No, not at all, especially if your CR-V has PTTR.

Was the engine fire issue overblown? Absolutely not, according to Honda - otherwise, why would they have issued special instructions to their technicians, sent letters to CR-V owners, and included special stickers to put on work orders for an otherwise "simple" oil change?

There may be more CR-Vs affected by PTTR than by engine fires, and more still by A/C problems.

I wonder what the next problem will be?
  • Options
    So, I have two codes that are triggering my check engine light to turn on. The main symptom that I am encountering is a odd small jolt that happens when applying the brakes to stop at a light/stop sign. Would a faulty tps sensor make this happen?
  • Options
    I never said that this problem didn't exist. I believe it does. I also believe things get overblown in these forums. That's all I said.

And, steveroyal, you can think I'm a liar if you want. I've still never felt a PTTR!
  • Options
    " I wonder what the next problem will be"?

I'm sure you'll let us know when there is one.

It shouldn't take a "special sticker" to alert a person changing the oil on a car to make sure they removed the old gasket, but I guess in some cases it does.
  • Options
    richk6richk6 Member Posts: 87
    I have never used the spare tire on my 02 V in almost four years. I check the air pressure regularly. Do unused spares become dangerous to use as they age? Do things such as dry rot occur and cause them to be unsafe to use? I have read an article that states as a tire ages, its speed rating decreases.

Does anyone have any knowledge on this subject.
  • Options
    " I'm sure you'll let us know when there is one. "

LMAO......You beat me to it Isell.....LOL
  • Options
    " There may be more CR-Vs affected by PTTR than by engine fires, and more still by A/C problems. "

And what scientific data do you base this on? Please share it with us. I think you should go buy a Chrysler product.
  • Options
    I've got a '99 CRV and still use one of the original tires as the spare. When I replaced the original tires, of the 5, I kept the best one as the spare and it's still looking good and holds air w/o a problem. Granted, there's not much tread left but it's suitable as the spare.
  • Options
    tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    Well I tried REALLY hard to buy a CR-V today, but wasn't able to reach a deal with the sales manager. I had called a dealer one state and 3 hours awaya couple of weeks ago to ask them about one I saw on their inventory list on the internet. The internet guy said he had no 5 speed manuals on the lot, said it usually took a couple of days to update the list after they sold. Later that week at my local dealer the salesman pulled up a list of manuals tranny models within 7 states and it was on there. I told him that it was sold, according to the dealer.

Today, just out of curiosity, and because the car was STILL listed in their inventory, I called them back and asked them about that stock number. The sales manager said they still had it and it was a manual tranny model. Imagine my surprise. So I decided I would bite the bullet and give it a shot.

Drove 3 hours and sure enough I was able to find it on the lot, a MANUAL tranny 05 EX that was one of my first color choices. I said lets give it a drive. This CR-V didn't exactly pull to the right, but I think it followed road crown and tire grooves a lot more than any car I have driven. This is the 4th CR-V I've test driven, and the first 2 definitely pulled whereas this one and the last one (both manuals) were much more "darty" than any other vehicle I have driven, but didn't go hard to the right when you let go of the wheel like the first 2 did (on level streets and not on the gas).

I drove the CR-V about 20 miles today and I was ready to buy it, but we couldn't come to terms on the price and my possible trade, so I drove back on home. Long trip to end up short, but the long drive back gave me a chance to realize that the CR-V may not be right for me after all, and I will start expanding my search.

I spent enough time in the seat of the CR-V to feel the unusual narrowness of the bolsters, and it felt like it was pushing my shoulders forward. I can see how the seats could be uncomfortable on longer trips. I also didn't think that it really had enough power, even with the manual tranny. You really need to rev it to get it going, and it is kind of loud under that kind of acceleration.

Still a very fine car with a lot of features for the price, just probably not the "truck" for me. The sales manager offered me 3000 less for my 2001 Audi A4 than CARMAX was going to give me to buy it outright, which was still about 1000 less than the average trade in value according to KBB, Edmunds and NADA. So we were WAY to far apart to even get into serious talks, I told him where I was at and if they got serious at the end of the month or year to give me a call.

I'm just about ticked enough at them for not giving me a correct answer over the phone before and their lowball offer for my trade that I probably wouldn't go all the way over there to buy it anyway.

I haven't had much luck with my local dealer salesman to try to go and find me a manual model (I bought an 04 Ody from him 2 years ago) so I am kind of at my wits end with the Honda salesmen. Another reason to start looking around at some other brands.

Good luck to all and thanks for the posts about their deals in the past.
  • Options
    "It shouldn't take a "special sticker" to alert a person changing the oil on a car to make sure they removed the old gasket, but I guess in some cases it does."

Hey, for once, we agree! ;-) But what does that tell you - about the technicians doing the oil changes and the vehicle being worked on - when Honda felt they needed to send out the stickers? Have other manufacturers had to take such steps? Has Honda had to take such steps with any other model? No, it hasn't been "in some cases" ... it's been with the CR-V.

"I'm sure you'll let us know when there is one."

Well, I wasn't the first to let anyone know about the engine fire issue, I haven't had any PTTR, and my A/C compressor is just fine (knock on wood). So I think that the odds are, some else will be letting us know of the next problem. But what are the odds that, no matter what the problem is, you'll be the first to say, I've never experienced that, I've never heard of that, that is WAY overblown?
  • Options
    " There may be more CR-Vs affected by PTTR than by engine fires, and more still by A/C problems. "

"And what scientific data do you base this on? Please share it with us. I think you should go buy a Chrysler product."

And here I thought I was being clear by saying "there may be..." I was just expressing an opinion, like your opinion that I should buy a Chrysler product ... unless there's some scientific data that supports such a purchase?

How about "In my opinion, it's possible that there may be more CR-Vs affected by PTTR than by engine fires, and more still by A/C/ problems" - any better? Or are only those who say good things about Hondas allowed to express opinions?

However - and I know it's not "scientific" and therefore will be dismissed - I checked the NHTSA website and the complaints filed for the 2005 Honda CR-V.

Out of the 44 complaints files so far, and eliminating duplicates,

Engine fires: 3 (this problem is increasingly behind us, thank God)
    PTTR: 25 (maybe this is leveling off as fewer 2005 CR-Vs are being sold?)
    A/C: 0 (this problem takes time/miles to show up)

I didn't have time to look closely at all 127 complaints filed so far for the 2004 CR-V. I know from looking at the complaints before that the number of engine fires was a lot higher than 3, and in glancing over the complaints, I spotted only one that mentioned PTTR. Happily, there are no 2006 CR-V complaints filed yet.
  • Options
    I'm surprised you haven't just sold your CRV out of the fear something horrific is going to happen.
  • Options
    kayakbiscuitkayakbiscuit Member Posts: 4
    This is very interesting. The airconditioning in my 02 CRV quit working a couple of weeks ago (around 65,000 miles). I took it to the dealer this morning and I am at this moment awaiting a call from them with an estimate. I bought this car used from the dealer last december with 41000 miles on it. When the sales manager tried to sell me the extended warranty, he used the cost of the air conditioner compressor as an example of why I would want the warranty. I declined the extended warranty because a) my last car was a 94 Civic that was indestructable and nothing ever broke on it until it had 190,000+ miles and b) I have a 40 mile (each way) commute to work and I would have exceeded the mileage long before the car was even paid for. That fact that the sales manager used the air conditioner as an example suggests to me that they know that there's a problem with them. Every other Honda my family owns or has owned has been a fantastic car. I really like my CR-V but if this is any example of quality that Honda is producing these days, this will be my last one. I am prepared to call the customer service number as was suggested in another post as soon as they call me with the estimate but I'm not expecting much.