Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    nysniper28nysniper28 Member Posts: 18
    may have to go down from my Limited hopes to the GLS because of fundage, but am wondering if anybody who got the PEP 03 is happy with it in the GLS and if they think it is worth it? I guess you lose the dome light right because of the sunroof? Also I have been doing so much research on my limited with nav pricing here that I'm kinda interested in what some people paid for the GLS with PEP 03 and what I should kinda be looking at? Thanks I love this forum really, on it every day now!

:):) just got done with a test drive today, loved the car, especailly the new designed interior :):)
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I am pretty sure there is still a dome light in the moonroof version, just further back on the headliner. One thing you might check into with your "limited fundage" (which is my situtation right now also) is look at used Sonatas. I have found some really clean 2007s with about 30k miles with the PEP 03 (power seat, moonroof etc.) for around $12.5 asking price. One of these is a V6 that is Hyundai Certified (so it has the remainder of the 10/100k powertrain warranty)! I think I could probably negotiate down closer to $12k at least. That is at least $4500 less than what you'd pay for a new one (and the V6 would be a lot more), albeit the 2009 has several advantages over the 2007s.
  • Options
    snarkyviiisnarkyviii Member Posts: 5
    Keffer Hyundai of Matthews, NC just dropped the price on the Sonata GLS with O-2 package that I want by $500.
    The MSRP on this car is 21,740 and the sales price with the $2000 rebate is now $16,261.
    My OTD price will be $17,178.88
    I never knew car buying could be so much fun. How did we ever survive before the internet?
  • Options
    alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Where do you look for used vehicles Backy? Web sites or by visiting dealerships? Looking to see what's available in my area. Thanks
  • Options
    steigssteigs Member Posts: 1
    Purchased this Sonata today at Stateline Hyundai Phillipsburg NJ, 16,500 plus TT&L with no hidden fees.
    I dealt with the internet salesmen, was thrown the keys for a test drive with my wife sans the salesman which was nice. Was given a competitive finance rate and the whole transaction took less than 1.5 hours. The best car buying experience I have ever had and would highly recommend.
  • Options
    That's a good deal, best deal I've seen locally is $17,635 for PP 2 and 3.
  • Options
    Scope things out via the web to zero in on a few cars that meet my requirements, then check them out in person. Which is how my new Sonata search has come to an end, for the near term. Yesterday I found a used car that meets my needs, for a few thousand less than a base Sonata. But I still don't think you can do much better for the money for a new sedan these days than the Sonata.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    You could also look at the SE trim.
  • Options
    Got another email from Towne in NJ, saying that WITH tax and everything I can be out the door for $23,000, considering my tax is 8.75%. This is pretty close to what I have been looking at since I will be putting down $5000 and already have financing at 5.24% for 60 months from my credit union, so that means financing on $18,000 at payments of around $340. or seeing what they have to offer for Finance rate. I'm gonna go to my local dealer 2morrow and see what he can do, but hopefully I can talk Towne down more, looking to be at $22000 after taxes . Does this deal sound good??? Any thoughts on if anyone thinks the rebates will stay for october??
  • Options
    I've tried looking on the internet but have noticed many are listed at prices fairly close to new, perhaps not looking at the right sites. Glad to hear that you were successful in your search. Any recommendations on web sites to search?
  • Options
    I've seen different definitions of OTD here. One is Dealer Price, but before tax tag and title. Others use OTD to mean the final price you write on the check. If your 16,100 is after adding on NC tax of 3% and tag and title fees, you better buy that car NOW!!! If the 16,100 is before TTL, it's still a very good deal, but maybe not worth a drive of more than 50 miles.
  • Options
    Yes, you have to look hard to find good used Sonatas for a good price. They seem to be holding their value well, especially the I4s. I used AutoTrader.com (accessible through Edmunds), cars.com, and vehix.com primarily, also a few sites from local car sellers--sometimes they have inventory on their own sites before they hit the big car selling sites.
  • Options
    themergthemerg Member Posts: 139
    Considering that your tax rate is almost 3.75% higher than mine, if you get that car for $22k OTD, that would be a great deal. You're probably looking at $20,000 for the actual price of the car (not including destination), which if the dealer got that car before the price increase means that you are about $2k below invoice. If he got the car after the price increase, that's even a better deal. Currently at $23k OTD including the price increase means that you are probably getting about $1,500 below invoice which is typical.

Good luck!

- Merg
  • Options
    Correction... The tax rate is almost 5.75% higher than mine... In VA it is 3% and the local jurisdiction adds on 0.2%.

- Merg
  • Options
    paddraigpaddraig Member Posts: 1
    Visted a dealer today that had a new 2007 Sonata GL V6 with the sunroof package still on the lot (less than 25 miles driven). Any ideas on what would be a good price to offer? I was thinking about 20% less than the current price for the 2009 version. Is that enough of a price reduction? Any issues with this that I should think about?
  • Options
    samvijsamvij Member Posts: 15
    Congratulations!
    What rate could you get from Capitaloneauto?
    I got 6.99% from BBT through BDH.
  • Options
    What country do you live in? There's no such thing as a 2007 Sonata GL in the U.S. But as a reference point, Kelly Blue Book has the 2007 Sonata SE V6 with the moonroof package and 25 miles at $17.8k retail. That is for a "used" car though, not a new car with full warranty.

Since the car has been sitting on the lot for possibly more than two years (the 2007s came out in mid-2006), I would think the dealer would be very happy to part with it for any kind of reasonable offer--or maybe even an unreasonable offer. I've seen 2007 Sonata V6s with moonroof in my area with about 30k miles for close to $12k. You might try offering around $15k and see what they say--you can always raise your offer if they say "no".

One thing I'd be worried about is a car sitting on the lot for 2 years, maybe with old gas in it. The tires will have deteriorated a bit just sitting there in the sun. Check the interior carefully too to make sure it hasn't faded, and inspect the exterior/paint carefully, when the car has been washed.
  • Options
    ponggodponggod Member Posts: 11
    4-cylinder GLS, automatic, medium silver blue, w/ aftermarket leather and the custom grille package for $17,800 + TTL. I think this was a fair price and at least $2500 - $4000 less than the other cars in this class that I was also considering: Nissan Altima, Saturn Aura, and Mazda 6. When price is an important criterion, it's REALLY hard not to pick the Sonata!
  • Options
    Congratulations! What is the aftermarket Leather? is this an option package that you got from the dealer, and if so how much does it usually go for and is it nice compared to the actual limited leather seats?
  • Options
    hemi57hemi57 Member Posts: 11
    I received a quote from fairfax for a I4 GLS auto with floor mats for $15806. Includes freight, doc charges, and temp. tag. Does not include tax since I am out of state. Do you think this is a good price or can I do better. Thank You
  • Options
    This seems too high based on quotes I got last week from Fairfax, e.g. a silver GLS AT with mats for just under $14,700 + out-of-state tax and license. Did you go through their Internet dept. (which I did) or direct? I am wondering why the huge disparity. Part of the difference would be that they had some silver units at the old price (MSRP $20,085 incl. destination), but the newer ones at the new pricing should only be a few hundred more at most, not over $1000 more.
  • Options
    hemi57hemi57 Member Posts: 11
    yes, I went thru their internet dept. Their email said
    "Your OTD price for a 2009 Sonata GLS, automatic, 4cyl, is $15,806.

Temp tag $2.00 Receipt Tax $40.00 Proc fee $389 Freight $675"
    Does $14700 include doc fee and freight?

Thank you
  • Options
    If you scroll back a page or two you will see that girlething got a base 4 cyl 5A-GLS for 16,100 OTD from Bob Dunn Hyundai in Greensboro, NC. That included her 3% NC tax, title and registration. Your quote from Fairfax doesn't seem all that far off. The mats and mud guards seem to be a given with the Sonata GLS

I just bought one from Keffer in Matthews, NC with the PEP without sunroof and paid 16,860 before tax and title or a total of 17,184 OTD. I probably could have gotten a few hundred lower elsewhere, but it wasn't worth it to me to drive more than 40 miles. By the way, I love the quiet ride of this car and the trip computer, power seat, audio controls on steering and burl accents are really nice extras that give it a sense of luxury. Since I plan on keeping this car for at least 10 years, the PEP will keep me happy longer.
  • Options
    $14,700 (actually just under) included their processing fee ($389), destination charge ($650, maybe because it was an older Sonata?), and two other small fees ($20 and $2). According to the rep, it included everything except my local sales tax and license (which I'd have to pay when I got home).

I will conjecture that what happened is that Fairfax met their sales quota number for the month or quarter this past weekend (a number that triggered special incentives from Hyundai), so they reduced their incentives. If so, it would uphold the opinion that the last day of the month is not always the best time to buy a car.
  • Options
    chvsnrajuchvsnraju Member Posts: 4
    I bought 09 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4 Cylinder on 09/27 from Piazza Hyundai, Limerick, PA. Got this for 19950 + tax and tags. OTD price was 21333.
    Experience with dealer was good and they price matched when I told about the price from other dealer.
  • Options
    mocitytxmocitytx Member Posts: 12
    Bought at HUB Hyundai, Houston TX, this past Saturday. Deal negotiated ahead of time via email with internet guy. Excellent, smooth, no hassle experience.

2009 Sonata GLS w/ PEP, Cargo Mat, Floor Mats. Also some dealer add-ons: pinstripe, VIN etching, maybe something else, I didn't care much about the add-ons. Black exterior, gray interior.

Total MSRP inc. destination: $21,035.
    Invoice price inc. destination: $20,095.

Sale price (before rebate): $18,532.64
    TT&L: $1,317.36
    Rebate: ($2,000.00)
    Final Drive Out Price: $17,850.00

Keep in mind Houston is not seeing the super deals that other parts of the country are getting, but I think this was a very good price on a great car.
  • Options
    I think your invoice or MSRP price are a little off. I really doubt the difference between invoice and MSRP was $40.

- Merg
  • Options
    If I did the math right, the difference is $940, which seems about right.
  • Options
    The prices are right. Your math is off.
  • Options
    Doh! Read the invoice as 20,995 and not 20,095...

- Merg
  • Options
    I know what you mean about not seeing the super deals other parts of the country are seeing, definitely not seeing them here in San Antonio either.
  • Options
    The downside of the strong Texas economy, I guess.

The price I got was heavily shopped. I'm pretty sure it was the best I could do in this area. The only other non-idiot Hyundai dealer wanted $19,100 OTD for the same car -- that's a difference of $1,250!!
  • Options
    I am looking for a 2009 Limited with NAV.....but at this one dealership they have only 1 limited and it is without the nav but am exactly what I'm looking for. My question is cant they just add the NAV package and install it into the car? When I talked to the dealer on the phone he said that they don't do this? He even mentioned that they can take it to a local stereo shop and get an aftermarket nav installed for me, but I told him that I wanted the Hyundai one. Is this how this works, does the manufacturer make a certain amount of limiteds with the nav and some with out, or are they suppose to install it for me at the dealership if I wanted the nav package? Please I'm really curious to know the answer to this, is this dealer full of Sh*t?

(same thing with the pep03 packages also, he was saying something like taking it to a local shop to get the moonroof installed, isn't this suppose to be done in the shop, where i looked there were no GLS with sunroofs on the lot)
  • Options
    I've noticed quite a disparity in prices here as well, just got an offer of $17,635 for the GLS with PEP 3 which is actually less than what they were willing to do for option 2.
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    No, it cannot be added. Well, actually, it could be but for the hassle and expense of getting the parts and installing it all, you'd be much better off just getting a car that has the Nav. It's not just a "nav package" that can be done as an accessory, but a factory installed set of items.

That dealer can locate & swap in a car that is equipped as you like or you can just shop other dealers for the right one. Dealers order the models that they order, and that's how it is, but they frequently swap in cars from elsewhere that match a customer's specs, etc. Keep shopping, and don't think about "installing" anything, just find one with.
  • Options
    stockmanjoestockmanjoe Member Posts: 353
    I have a similar problem. I want a 2009 Sonata Lmtd with Navi but I want it in Slate Blue. The dealership I am working with says there are none in the region. They claim they have ordered it from the plant and it will be arriving but they can't seem to tell me when.

Don't settle for a car that is not exactly what you want. They tried to push me into another color.
  • Options
    starchief5starchief5 Member Posts: 8
    I just bought a new Sonata in Phoenix and they tacked on a $395 documents fee. That seems to be pretty standard from what I am reading on here. In California, the document fee was only $70 and I'm pretty sure that is a capped figure, meaning that they are not allowed by the state to charge any more than that. This suggests that a good portion of that $395 is a "junk" charge. I refused to pay the $200 window etching charge they "tacked on" because that is just a high-profit dealer add-on. Also I refused to pay the $100 "advertising fee". But they wouldn't budge on the doc fee, insisting that most of it is not a junk fee.

Do you think it is a junk fee?
  • Options
    chvsnrajuchvsnraju Member Posts: 4
    I think 395 is too high. In that way my dealer was pretty good. He charged only Tax + $ 185 (100 documentation + 85 title and registration fees)
  • Options
    stockmanjoestockmanjoe Member Posts: 353
    Oh yeah, it is nothing but pure profit. In FL almost all the dealers charge $599! It is a real rip off. Just negotiate the price down the price of the fee if you can.
  • Options
    azeraclunkazeraclunk Member Posts: 6
    Sticker price was 27,800. I paid $22,153 plus tax plus 189.00 doc.

Includes $500 Hyundai Loyalty rebate - $2,000 Sonata rebate
  • Options
    joywhitjoywhit Member Posts: 5
    $395 documents fee is a deal breaker for me. That's why I only negotiated OTD numbers. 'Out The Door' prices have no fees tacked on and are easy to compare with other dealers in other taxing jurisdictions. I strongly recommend them.
  • Options
    starchief5starchief5 Member Posts: 8
    Unfortunately, it's pretty hard to compare prices from all over the country using the OTD prices seen on this forum. Sales tax, license and registration fees are going to vary major bucks from state to state. I just paid $1725 sales tax for my Sonata in Phoenix. That's not negotiable. I read of others on here who only paid a couple hundred bucks sales tax in their state. I can't expect to get close to the same OTD price as they will get.

About all you can do is negotiate the price down as far as you can before TTL. That's something you can compare all over the country. Then the challenge becomes to keep them from taking back what you saved on the front end by tacking it on the back end. You've got to know that this will be their strategy. You've got to know the junk fees from genuine fees.

The last car I bought from a dealer was in 1964!!!! I didn't know this stuff. So after agreeing on a good pre-TTL price, when they tally up what you owe, they try to gain back over $600 of the price you negotiated by adding junk fees (document, window etching, advertising fees, etc). I was able to get the window etching and advertising fees off but they wouldn't budge on the $395 docs fee.

Then all you can do is decide if the pre-TTL price plus $395 doc fee is a price you are willing to pay. I might have got it a couple of hundred bucks cheaper at a dealer 50 miles away, but buying at the closest dealer where it will be serviced does have some appeal to me.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter hopes to interview a consumer who has negotiated a great deal on a car recently. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com before Friday, October 10, 2008 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your experience.
  • Options
    npolitenpolite Member Posts: 33
    So this price is with option 3? I'm having a very difficult time locating a 4cyl auto with option 3 in the PA/NJ/DE area. One dealer said that they could try to locate it but usually when you do that you don't get the best price for the car as you would be essentially paying 2 dealers to get the car you want.
  • Options
    Yes, this dealership had more of the option 3's available than option 2 packages and were trying to move them out. Have you tried Fitzmall in Maryland?
  • Options
    samadams3samadams3 Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone bought a car from around Fairfax area? I notice the prices seem too good to be true can anyone tell me from experience whether they actually DID get the internet OTD prices or were there other 'hidden' fees?

Obviously TTL is not included.
    I have been quoted an OTD price for a 2009 sonata at $15,321.00

I want to know if this is legit or if other fees are going to be added. I don't want to travel all the way to VA and find out that I have to pay more fees.
  • Options
    samadams3samadams3 Member Posts: 4
    In VA
  • Options
    aalsherriaalsherri Member Posts: 68
    Must be a GLS with manual transmission and no packages included.
  • Options
    I bought from Brown's Manassas Hyundai (just outside Fairfax). They had competitve pricing. Although they display the MSRP of vehicles including destination, their internet/sale price does not include destination and it does take into account the current rebate. Loyalty and Military rebate would lower the internet price even more. Their processing fee is $349, which is typical for VA. You can actually get that fee waived if you use the CostCo Autobuying Service, so that does save a little bit of money.

Let me know if you need any more info.

- Merg
  • Options
    beeneybeeney Member Posts: 3
    Wow. You did good. Not getting those kind of deals in the Midwest or maybe I am just not a good haggler. I used the Edmunds TMV pricing guide when I bought my 09 Sonata V6 Limited and it was showing people paying right about invoice. I paid about 200 dollars less than invoice plus the rebate and thought I was getting a decent deal. But looks like other people are doing much better. Should not have relied on Edmunds I guess. The TMV is supposed to reflect the current prices being paid for your geographical area. Oh well, I do love the car but next time will check these forums for what is being paid. It is a great car though and sure not sorry I got it.