Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    onewhowasonewhowas Member Posts: 7
    Ok. I admit I 'might' be biased on the color. :-)

The Auto Locks (I'm probably not stating this correctly), is enabling the door locks to automatically lock, when going above some speed limit.
    This feature is turned off at the factory, but can be turned on by your dealer (for a fee, of course)
    I had the doors set to auto lock at 25 MPH (which seems to be the standard) but they can be set to any speed.

When you have small kids in the car, this is really important.
    Most 'high-end' cars (especially Infinity/Lexus/etc have this feature).
    Frankly, I'm kinda suprised that this feature hasn't been marketed more. The salesman that sold me my Sonata had no idea what I was talking about. He had to call the service dept. to confirm. It was kinda weird that I knew more about the car than he did. (And he had been at that dealership for something like 10 years..)

Anyway.
    I'm glad you're enjoying your 'Deepwater Blue' one.
    I'll keep my Power White Pearl one, thank you very much.
    ;-)
  • Options
    bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    I had the doors set to auto lock at 25 MPH (which seems to be the standard) but they can be set to any speed.

I can't understand that feature. When the car is moving, nobody is going to get in (and this I will guarantee!. When the car stops, you have to unlock the darn doors, and that's just a hassle. It's also something else to go wrong... like causing you to lock your keys in your car.

The Sonata has excellent child safety locks to prevent anyone from getting out. That's all you need, really.
  • Options
    miamixtmiamixt Member Posts: 600
    :) This Beautiful Sonata pictured here :) in Edmunds Deepwater Blue :) on a Sunny Day is a wonderful :) Color.

Why 25 Miles per Hour with the Auto door Locks?. If I had a Child falling out of my Sonata, twenty five seems too fast... Of course it depends on the Child :P
  • Options
    tb88tb88 Member Posts: 242
    That's exactly how I feel!
    This feature is totally absurd, redundant, useless and costly! (I understand dealers charge a fee to activate it!)
    In plain English it is totally stupid!
    What were you thinking Hyundai!
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,574
    Almost every European make offers it standard...

Someone must want it...

I don't feel the need for it... .but, I still lock my doors everytime I get in the car.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    stockmanjoestockmanjoe Member Posts: 353
    Yes for the majority of us in this upper class, educated, white and male forum it may seem silly to have doors that automatically lock for you.

But for single mothers and mothers and fathers of all kinds, getting the kids in the car, getting them strapped in and secured, sometimes locking the door can be forgotten and stopping at any street light in any city can mean an unwanted intruder.

You should always lock you car doors before going anywhere in the car it just makes sense for it to do it automatically. It is a feature that is certainly wise to have in all cars.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,574
    Wow.... I think you are making a lot of assumptions about the forum.. :surprise:

I think the breadth of our membership would surprise you.. It is best that we don't generalize..

And, if you think a single male driver is safe inside his car with the doors unlocked, you have a false sense of security.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Oh I agree we should all have our doors locked. If I gave the impression anyone is safe with them unlocked I did not mean to.

And you are right maybe the upper class and educated part was pushing it - LOL!!
  • Options
    lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    I guess you never stop at traffic signals, lights, signs, etc. Are you not aware of what is commonly called "car jacking"? Besides all that, I haven't had any problem not being able to get out of my car at all, and I have had this feature on several of my cars. I have mine set to the absolute minimum speeds, not 25mph. But then again, I have always locked my vehicle once I get in it. Paranoid? maybe, but safer anyway.
  • Options
    I'm sorry, but I get this comical mental image of someone trying to highjack my car at 25mph. :D

If you live in fear, you can lock the doors, use the child safety locks, and make the kids sit down and be still. Please don't ask for features that impose extra complexity and unreliable features on everyone because you're paranoid or a gadget lover.

Have you heard what happens if your locks malfunction and you lock your keys in the car? Well, when that happens, you had better have a spare key, and you better be in a friendly neighborhood!

Auto Locks

Too Much Security?
  • Options
    Locking your doors when the car is moving is just plain common sense. If the car will do it automatically for you that is so much the better. I will get the function turned on in my Sonata.

Now my stupid Honda Pilot does not have the auto lock feature when the car starts to move, however, if you unlock the car with the keyless device and don't open the door within a certain amount of time (very short) it will automatically lock its self again. It is annoying but what can I say it is a Honda.
  • Options
    jdalton27jdalton27 Member Posts: 5
    Bobo, I've had a guy come up to my car at a red light and try to open thr drivers door. Had I not seen him in time and locked my door, who knows what he would have done to me or my car. This is a legitimate concern for many people and is only activated when you ask for it.

I generally don't leave my keys in the car when I'm not in it, so I don't know how they'd get locked in. Besides, free 5-year roadside assistance would get them out pretty easily.
  • Options
    jdalton27jdalton27 Member Posts: 5
    I live in Oklahoma City and I am looking for feedback from anyone who has been to the dealers 'round here.

• Options
    Boy...
    I had no idea this topic would cause such heated discussion! :-)

By the way, bobad, those discussions are on the alarm automaticaly locking before you have gotten out of the car, or accidently locking your keys in the car.
    They have NOTHING to do with the locks automatically locking when putting the car in drive, and getting above a certain speed limit.

And for those who have kids that won't grab the door handle while the car is driving (and for those parents who remember to lock your doors when you put your car in drive)....I envy you...wholeheartedly. :)
    I am not that luckly. :surprise:

For me, I'll stick to having the car's computer remember to do that for me.
  • Options
    lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Gee, I never thought about someone trying to highjack a car at 25mph. That would be a trick for sure. Although I am not parnoid, I do think common sense counts for something. By the way, the locked doors (auto-locked) don't prevent you from opening the door normally and getting out, unless you have the childproof locks engaged.(rear) Also I am quite certain that if your keys are in the ignition you can't lock the drivers door, they will lock however if you mistakenly take them out of the ignition and lay them on the seat, dash, floor, or in the visor when I would think you would have foreseen that problem. Like I said, it is a matter of common sense. To each his own.
  • Options
    Here's what I do know though:

My Car will not auto lock itself during movement, however will auto lock and activate the alarm within 30 seconds of leaving the Vehicle

And the Trunk can swallow your Keys, don't ask.

Always carry a spare Key. The Sonata came with 3 :)
  • Options
    navotinavoti Member Posts: 17
    Did you check the manual to see if the car is in Valet mode?
  • Options
    phill1phill1 Member Posts: 319
    Just took delivery of 2006 Sonata GLS I4 with Sunroof. Drove over from SO. East FL to Clearwater and a 240 mile trip (each way) but...was worth the trip! Hyundia dealers in Greater FT Lauderdale area and West Palm Beach area had few or NONE GLS with I4 with or without Sunroof. Lots of V6`s though. No one would come close to Fitz`s price. M.S.R.P was $20995. Price was $17175 plus $299. dealer pac for total of $17475 which included $1000. finance rebate plus $500. Sonata I4 rebate. Only 6.5% sales tax, title, registration tag transfer and a few minor insignificant fees added. If your in Florida, do your shopping locally and check back with Fitz before you sign. You`ll probably end up at Fitz in Clearwater with our without a 4 hour drive ahead of you and save from $1000 to $1500. Check it out...best yet, no arm twisting and hard negotiating necessary.
  • Options
    smegsmeg Member Posts: 3
    I've just been quoted $19300 for a 2006 GLS V6 with sunroof in Lynn, MA ... anyone know if this is a good price? I picked the invoice price for car and package from Consumer Reports and here, and emailed a local dealer telling them this price. $19300 was their reply.

Wondering if I can do better!
  • Options
    If you want to see if your price is good, do this.
    goto fitzmall.com and find the same car with the same options, by searching their site.
    If you can get close to their price, then you're doing really good.

just FYI...
  • Options
    suzannaflsuzannafl Member Posts: 84
    Hi Phill,

I'm in the Tampa/Clearwater area, so you have my interest!

I've been researching the LX with leather and sunroof.
    Can you tell me what your GLS I4 has differently?

Thanks,
    S
  • Options
    I generally don't leave my keys in the car when I'm not in it, so I don't know how they'd get locked in. Besides, free 5-year roadside assistance would get them out pretty easily.

WRONG about road side assistance... The service is contracted out to an outfit like AAA; and they use local towing people, not the Hyundai Dealerships, who have no access to keys!
    And they can't tow your car because the ignition and wheels are locked!
    Depending on where you lock yourself out, it may take a day or two to get back in the car, if you don't have a spare somewhere.
    And there is no way they can pick the locks without damaging something! Usually they are not equipped for that anyway; nor trained!
  • Options
    smegsmeg Member Posts: 3
    Interesting, not seen them before. They don't have the model I want, but they list at $16,762, I guess the base V6

I'm now looking at automall.com and they have the model I want at $18,459, but the base model at $17,665 which seem good prices.
  • Options
    Try that (fitzmall) and also Hyundai of Newport Richey (Corner US19/ SR54)
    You have to be a good haggler and you may beat the best price anywhere.

Best time to buy a car: the last day of the month because of Dealer's quota... if they need the sale to qualify for that month bonus/incentives they will sell it at a loss... because a dealer's bonus is usually in the 10s of thousands, if they reach a certain quota!
    So they make up nicely for the few hundreds they lost to sell that last car!
    The LX is the better buy... because for a few dollars more you get a lot of features the GL/GLS don't have or are options!
    MPG between the I4 and the V6 are insignificant in the 2006 model.
  • Options
    Are you sure Hyundai Roadside service is that worthless?.

Need a tow?
    Hyundai Roadside Assistance will tow you to the nearest Hyundai Dealership or authorized Service Facility if your vehicle is inoperable. Even for non-warranty related tows, such as accidents.

Dead battery?
    Need it jump-started? Even a superior battery can go dead for different reasons. If that happens, call us at Hyundai Roadside Assistance for the jump-start your vehicle needs.

Keys locked in vehicle?
    It can happen. Just call Hyundai Roadside Assistance and we will get help to get you back in your car fast, and at no charge to you.

Out of gas?
    Hyundai Roadside Assistance will bring the gas to you (up to 3 gallons where permissible) so you can get back on the road again.

Flat tire?
    Even quality tires can have a flat due to our imperfect driving world. Call us at Hyundai Roadside Assistance, and we will change your tire for you.

Dealer Location?
    Hyundai Roadside Assistance will give you information on the nearest Hyundai Dealer or authorized Service Facility in the United States.
  • Options
    "Did you check the manual to see if the car is in Valet mode?".

No, I breezed by the manual, need to go back and learn some more. What would that mode have done for me?. I do carry the Valet key in my Wallet if that counts ;)
  • Options
    I had a flat tire once, and it took them 2 hours to show up... I am sorry I waited because I could have replaced it myself in half an hour at the most!

Don't believe everything you read!
  • Options
    they say they will change your Tire, but they make no claims as to when :confuse: . I've talked to them before, they sound somewhat inexperienced, but helpful. I like the fact that Hyundai will pay even for non mechanical breakdowns too. You might have this same type of towing benefit with your Visa or Master Card or your personal Insurance.

But what bothers me the most about tb88's post, is my little key lock code plate that comes with the keys is missing!. Dealers can't make new keys without the code, or can they?
  • Options
    my little key lock code plate that comes with the keys is missing!. Dealers can't make new keys without the code, or can they?

Yes, they can... they have it in their file/computer.
  • Options
    wdlp65wdlp65 Member Posts: 13
    Hello, I own an LX with sunroof and leather, I have to say this is a very nice car and you cannot go wrong with buying one! Please do yourself the favor and DO NOT buy the GLS I4. With the LX you get the Auto Air, the 6 Disc Changer, the mirror with compass and homelink, 17 inch rims and 50 series tires, plus the more powerful engine.

In my honest opinion, you should purchase an Dark Mica Cinammon LX with the beige interior, sunroof and 6 disc changer with subwoofer just like mine!

:)

Take care!
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I have had only very positive experiences with Hyundai's roadside assistance on my two Elantras. I am actually surprised how professional and quick they have been every time I have used them. Mostly it was due to keys locked in the car (DW has this irritating habit of placing the keys on the passenger seat or in a dash cubby and locking the doors), but one time my '01 Elantra had to be towed because the clutch shattered (misuse by son). My son forgot about the roadside assistance, and a police officer who drove by called a tow truck. My son had the car towed home, then I called Hyundai roadside assistance to have it towed to the dealer. Then I sent the bill for the other two to Hyundai Customer Service, and they reimbursed me.

A very useful benefit. I've also saved a few hundred bucks on AAA fees over the past six years. :)
  • Options
    For me, I'll stick to having the car's computer remember to do that for me.

Well, I'll not entrust my children to a computer. Use the child safety locks, PLEASE! They're already there, and they'e low-tech, highly reliable, and free.

They have NOTHING to do with the locks automatically locking when putting the car in drive, and getting above a certain speed limit.

Ya, I admit I may have been a little off on the exact point of those posts, but I think you get my point. Besides, I pointed you to an excellent forum, didn't I? You're welcome :)

Trust technology to mix your drink, but not with your life!
  • Options
    ersatz07ersatz07 Member Posts: 7
    I've only had to use the roadside assistance once on my 2001 Hyundai Elantra for a flat tire. It was around 11pm and they came in around 20 minutes. I think it really depends on the towing company that is responsible for the area you are in at the moment you need it. Based on my experience I would say the service works great.
  • Options
    mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    Have you ever used AAA? They would take at least that long and you have to pay them a fee every year. Plus AAA only allows 2 tows per year. If it's 10 degrees outside, I'll wait. If something happens and the car is inoperable, it's nice to know that in the first 5 years I'll get a free tow.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • Options
    I wish I didn't need to trust a computer to remember to lock the doors for me, but my mind ain't as good as it use to be. :-)
    And there's no way I'll ever remember to use the child safety locks (not to mention the incessant whining from the kids about not being able to open their own door!)
    I like the idea (in theory); But I know it won't work out that way.

Yep. I'll have to agree. The hyundai-forums are very cool. Thanks for pointing me to them.

And what do you mean by not trusting technology with your life. We do that every day. Smoke detectors, air bags, anti-lock breaks, ESC, etc. all have a little chip in there, designed to save your life.
    If you really don't want to trust technology with your life, you'd better not step foot on an airplane. Trust me on this one. :-)
  • Options
    navotinavoti Member Posts: 17
    I may be off on this and again I don't have the manual but give this a try. Open the door and hit the unlock button for about 3 seconds. Then see if it's still acting strangely.
  • Options
    phill1phill1 Member Posts: 319
    Well, first of all, my GLS with Sunroof is equipted with the 2.4 4 cyl. engine and not the larger V6 with shiny dual exhaust pipes. This I4 has (plenty) of pick up an power and IMO with gasoline heading for $3.00 plus a gal., I want the better gas mileage. When you factor in that the tiny Accent with a 1.6 4 cyl. engine with automatic transmission is rated at only 36 m.p.g. the much larger Sonata with a much larger engine gets almost the same economy...34 vs 36 m.p.h. The main differences in the LX is power drivers seat, leather vs cloth, 17`` alloy wheels and tires vs 16`` a high tech climate control vs a no problem manually adjusted heat/ac fan operation, and a fancy rear view mirror. If your looking for those features, the LX with V6 is the way to go. For me, the GLS with the I4 and Sunroof was a perfect fit. Either way, I`m sure you`ll love the vehicle. Best part is you can avoid being done by S.E.T. (South East Toyota Distributors). I was considering an 07 Camry but the price difference was obscene and IMO the Sonata looks and drives better.
  • Options
    They don't have to tow it thet can flatbed it if necessary.
  • Options
    They don't have to tow it thet can flatbed it if necessary.

And how will they get it on the flatbed... with the wheels locked? Dragging it?? which might damage transmission or something else!
  • Options
    mejozamejoza Member Posts: 17
    onewhowas,

I may have to search the metroplex if I can't deal here in Wichita Falls. Can you recommend a dealer?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Those Pipes are the best looking stock pipes I've ever owned, makes the car look classy. People give it a second look. I'm looking at the 2006 DeepWater Blue Sonata LX right now in the back of the brochure, just like mine!

To be honest you might get better Gas mileage and save a few dollars on the Sonata purchase (and I mean just a few), but what you dont have Phil is the pure thrill of the V6 power, and yes all the other extras too (you forgot the upgraded Stereo & Amp, incredible!) :P
  • Options
    I would like to hear opinions on the comfort and quality level of the cloth seating upholstery on the '06 Sonata.
  • Options
    mejoza,

I went to Huffines in Plano.
    They were, by far, the best.

(And I should know.... I went to several...)

You're welcome! :-)
  • Options
    Mejoza,

The seats are smallish and firm. The fabric is very soft and feels nice and rich to the touch.

At first I wanted the LX with leather because I will probably keep my Sonata at least 10 years. But hey, my last car was 11 years old, and not one hole or bit of threadbare fabric in the entire car. I guess modern fabrics are more durable than they used to be.
  • Options
    sera1sera1 Member Posts: 2
    Sonata GLS 4 Cyl (Bright Silver)
    $16146 + Taxes, Includes 1900 rebate
    Bought it from carsdirect.com. Got it yesterday.

Lots of room inside. Audio system sounds pretty good. Looking forward to play some mp3s. As per the owners manual wma and aac can be played as well.

I was tailgated today. Hyundai recommends not to exceed 55 mph initially. Mileage shown by the trip computer varies a lot. 24 to 37 but I have driven only 30 miles.

So far my only negative observation is
    inside door knobs. They look cheap.
  • Options
    Great deal!...what's the nature of the rebate? Is it a combination of 2 or more rebates?
    Did you finance through Hyundai?
    For how many miles do you have to keep it under 55mph?
  • Options
    rhduke00rhduke00 Member Posts: 129
    For how many miles do you have to keep it under 55mph?

1200 miles
  • Options
    First the manual says there is NO formal break in period for the new Hyundai. It does give suggestions & tips, like not to engage the Cruise Control, and to be easy on the brakes for the first 1000 miles, and yes you are supposed to keep it under 55, but that's when using the temporary spare only :P
  • Options
    I have a dealer offering me a '06 Sonata GLS 4cyl for $17,299 +T,T&L. The dealer is 160 miles from my home. I've warned him that I dont want to drive for 3 hours only to be suprised by unexpected fees, and he says that wont be the case.

What do you guys think?

Under any circumstances will dealers fax or e-mail an invoice or a write-up on the offer? What would you do in this situation?
  • Options
    I wouldn't drive 160miles for a $200-300 savings... stick with a local dealer if that's what you're saving!
    Would you drive 160 miles (320 miles round trip), every time there is a little problem to fix? (not counting wear and tear/ gas/ time lost...)

Sure the local dealer may be willing to take a look at it, if that occurs, but I don't think he will be very eager to do it promptly.

It is usually the selling dealer who takes care of that: it is part of the prep charges!