Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• barrysobarryso Member Posts: 66
    "The engine and trans are sweet. But, the steering feeling makes me want to stop at the nearest Starbuck's for a triple latte"

You nailed it! The Honda i4 was a nice engine and the transmission was first rate. But the driving experience was still dull.

"However, I'm "wobbling" on the 6i vs. 6s decision. After my first back-to-back of the two, I liked the 6i. The second time, I wasn't so sure (the 6s kind of grows on you)."

What kind of driving do you normally do? Do you spend a lot of time between 80 and 100? Do you prefer keeping an engine on low-boil or do you tend to rev the thing silly just for fun?

One of my deciding factors is probably going to be the "rev the thing silly" factor. Both engines are great to push. But the 6i probably won't get me into trouble with the law when it gets pushed into the fun zone. And it has a great fun zone ... the car just begs to be pushed.

That said, if I drive the 6i and 6s back to back the V6 always seems to be more enjoyable because of the torque.

Is Strechsje around? He has written several times that the 6i gets a visit from the torque fairy after break in. He's probably a better one to listen to.
  • alcjewalcjew Member Posts: 173
    Hey what I put down is hypothetically based. That's the only way make a hypothetical point to date. Maybe I'm full of it, but does nyone commenting have or know of anyone with any manufacturing, quality assurance, reliability engineering experience or understanding? I deal with these guys on a day to day basis, we are part of a Integrated Product Team. We chart paretos, systemic problem trends, and so on during series of environmental system tests prior to factory acceptance to obtain near zero problems/defects before delivery of our products to our customers. We chart any problems that our customers encounter, which has been from very minor to nonexistent within the 23 years with the company. We are out to please our customer with the best state-of-the-art manufacturing, similar to what Mazda has done in preparation to building the 6 at AAI in Flat Rock, MI. We test our products to last 20-25 year life in the harshes environment. We manufacture one of a kind, low rate and high rate kinds of products. No matter the quantity, we strive to deliver problem/trouble-free products. I used the hypothetical guess by ruefu as quoted, "The number of new Accords on the road is WAY past that of the 6. They've sold like 66,000 year to date. Mazda hopes to sell 80,000 for the entire year" is where I got the numbers I computated! I brought both Accord & 6 hypothetical quantities to the same (apples-to-apples) date (April 10). Until I get more solid numbers to use everything is hypothetical and it usually comes close to the real thing, +/- some limit, taken over several years.
    gee: When you stated BS, what you're basically saying is that the problems on the Accord board vs the M6 are BS, analogy speaking! But read the problems, they're printed in black and white. Has any 6 owners had any problems lately, so that gee or ruefus has something to say? That number, 105, has been stuck for some time now!
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    We have had cars that take a long time to sell, but I have never had one that didn't sell eventually. We also see a few consumers who keep cars forever so resale isnt an issue, they seek out the low left-over deals...Even if the savings is as much as you would assume, any savings to some people is enough.
    No, we can't send them back to the factory..once we take delivery it's ours.
    There is an old expression in the car biz.."there is an a** for every seat."

Rich
  • skyrayskyray Member Posts: 156
    MrBlonde,

There's actually a topic here on Edmunds covering just that comparison.

We have an older 2001 9-3. It's a fun car -- the turbo rocks, and other than the fact that it rides so high it feels like it's going to tip over SUV-style in tight turns, it's a lot of fun to drive. But it lacks the ride quality and quiet of the Mazda 6. However, that's apparently been refined a bit in the new 9-3, which uses the same platform as the upcoming Chevy Malibu and the Saturn L series.

That said, though, take a look around at all the Saab mechanics in your town. With all the little quirks that have popped up in our 9-3 (try a horn that sometimes goes off when you press lightly on the steering wheel volume controls -- love those European electricals systems -- among other things), we plan to sell it when the warranty runs out. My own experiences with Mazda quality (89 Ford Probe, which was really a rebodied MX6; and a Miata) have been much better than my Saab experience so far.
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    Thanks for the info.

I looked at the 6 vs 9-3 forum, but it hasn't had a post for a few weeks.

I'm leaving to go take a look at the Saab.

At this point, my attitude is:
    Mr. Saab dealer, show me why I SHOULDN'T buy a Mazda6.

Oh, one other question, before I go:

Anyone know what happened to all the Lapis blue cars? There are barely any in inventory - much less than a month ago, and that's they color I wanted. I also like the redfire though, and there seem to be plenty of them
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    mr blonde says...."At this point, my attitude is:
    Mr. Saab dealer, show me why I SHOULDN'T buy a Mazda6.....

this would be an inconsiderate saab salesperson...Their job is to show you why you SHOULD buy the saab not to tell you why you should not buy the mz6. Each car should stand tall on their own merits and let the best car for you win.
  • cookie01cookie01 Member Posts: 369
    wow... it just doesn't happen eh? Interesting.

You would think it would, at least once in a while.

Thanks for the answer. It's a whole different world (the car business)...
  • mpiatekmpiatek Member Posts: 68
    I definitely agree with audia8q. I was at the VW dealer test driving the Jetta and as soon as they found out I was considering a Mazda 6 they just started trash talking it. A lot of what they were saying wasn't even correct, and it drove me nuts. The guys at the Mazda dealer asked what other cars I was considering, and when I told them they were more interested in what I liked about each of them. Never said anything bad about the Jetta, but wanted to know what features I was looking at, and occasionally they would insert a selling point for the Mazda that I might not have considered. Much different buying experience, and my wife and I were much happier walking out of there after ordering the car.

Mike
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    "gee: When you stated BS, what you're basically saying is that the problems on the Accord board vs the M6 are BS, analogy speaking! But read the problems, they're printed in black and white. Has any 6 owners had any problems lately, so that gee or ruefus has something to say? That number, 105, has been stuck for some time now!"

Nope I was just talking about your numbers. That's it.

As far as the number of complaints...Well there are NO complaints lobbied for the Element yet. Does that mean they are perfect? I mean they have sold just about a tick more than the 6.
  • miata10aemiata10ae Member Posts: 90
    mrblonde49: One of the things that would make me think twice about the Saab is the turbo. Usually turbocharged engines tend to have more problems than naturally aspirated ones. If I were to be given two identical cars with about the same horsepower, one turbo the other not, I would tend to lean towards the non-turbo one.
    And if you are the kind of person that likes to red line a lot, the turbo engine will become a lot more thirsty compared to a non-turbo, despite what is advertised on the sticker.
    Yep, and they talk about the 6 not having a lot of oomph until you hit higher RPMs... It's even worse waiting for the turbo to punch in.

As for the element. I finally saw one on hte road today. I love the concept, but it looks like the illegitimate spawn of a Pontiac Aztec and a bathtub...
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    When I said that was my attitude, that's just what it was. Like, in my head, I'm telling him to prove it to me. I didn't actually mention the Mazda 6 to him. Surely you didn't think I would go in there and say that to him.

As far as the car, I didn't get to drive it because they were closing, but it was very impressive so far. It is a tough choice indeed
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    When I went to test drive the Accord the sales guy asked me what else I was looking at. When I told him the Mazda6 he said it was just a 626 with a different body. I'm not making this up, he actually said that.
    When I said I had researched it and this wasn't true, he still argued that the 6 shared the drive train and almost all of it's parts with the 626.
    The Accord is a great car on it's own merits, so why do these guys really think they need to lie to customers to sell it? What does it say about about a dealership that would employ a guy like that?
  • jbchapmanjbchapman Member Posts: 21
    mrblond349: I also found much that was attractive about the 9-3, but the reliability prospects finally led me to cross it off the list.
  • glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    I have a better story. When I stopped in to the Honda dealer they acted as if they did not know what the 6 was. They seemed very nervous over the 6.

Mark.
  • ruefusruefus Member Posts: 254
    To a degree this is an oversimplification, but when it comes to salesmen, you find two major kinds. And just so you know I'm not talking out my [non-permissible content removed], I've made my living selling for 10 years now.

1. The person confident enough with his product and his own skills that sells on product ability combined with listening & keying off what the customer wants.

2. The person will little confidence in himself and/or his product who talks down about comptetitors. He knocks them down to feel big, but in reality, he's the little one.

I'd dump the guy who bashes others straight away. The Honda guy who says the 6 is a re-badged 626 sounds like an idiot. How can he maintain credibility in the customer's mind when he hasn't a clue about his competition? Can't beat 'em if you don't know your strengths against their shortcomings. Perhaps if you believe his claim, you won't go back to look and just buy his car.
  • wvelezwvelez Member Posts: 16
    Are they to go above the regular carpet mats, or over the bare floorboard carpet?
    I realize this is probably a matter of personal preference, but I'm wondering if moisture will accumulate underneath these al weather mats if placed by themselves.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    When my brother was shopping for a car not too long ago, we went to a Honda dealer. My brother said he was considering the Protege ES and Civic EX. The salesman said a young man like my brother needs something a little sporty and the Civic was "MUCH more" sporty than the Protege ES. He says "you don't want a Protege" and continued to trash talk it. He didn't know that I had a 2001 Protege. Both me and my brother knew better and walked out.

Then we went to a Toyota dealer to try the new Corolla out. That salesman was excellent. He didn't trash talk the Civic or Protege, and he knew quite a bit about both of them.

My brother ended up buying a Civic from a different Honda dealer. Honda dealer #1 lost a sale because they hired a salesperson that didn't know what they were doing or talking about.

I also had a salesperson tell me that you couldn't get a 5sp manual in the Mazda6i, only a 4 speed. When was the last time you saw a 4sp manual? I'm sorry, but if you get mixed up like that with automatics and manuals then you shouldn't be working as a car salesman.
    The all-weather mats go directly on the carpet. They have little rubber spikes under them that keep them firmly in place.

I wouldn't worry about moisture accumulation below them. They have ridges around the edges to catch water, and depressions that moisture will pool in. The're the first floor mats that have ever impressed me. :)
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    First off Honda is going for older buyers which I feel is a mistake. In the 80's and 90's Honda had younger buyers now with the new Accord they are trying to be Toyota: to be an older persons car company which is the wrong move. Honda has a different audience than Toyota. The new body style of the Accord may be a success now but in the future they could be labeled as a "Japanese Buick" the way Toyota is now which is not good for brand image at all. Yeah Honda did say the new Accord was supposed to be "sportier". I looked at both the new Accord Sedan and Coupe from this generation and compared it to the previous generation and the styling looks blander than the last generation combo of Accord Coupe/Sedan. Honda styling in the 80's and 90's was "industrial" now they are going towards "generic".

I see people getting the 6 for under invoice. Thats dissapointing especially when the 6 is a more complete car than the Nissan Altima and the Altima is still going above invoice price wise. The previous generation Altima was discounted so it looks like Nissan hit something right with buyers of the new Altima. The 6 will have poor resale value like the 626 did. I thought the resale value would be good for the 6. I am saw 3 6's on the road Thursday and Friday. One was silver, 1 was red, and 1 was blue. The red one was being driven out of the Mazda dealership.

About emblems being taken off I have seen that on Acura's and Acura's(Legends/3.2 TL's) have always been hot with younger buyers. Mazda getting that type of buyer is really a plus for them.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    this one on the beltway near the Tysons Corner exit.

silver v6 w/ sports package, with the sunlight beaming down, it looks spectacular.

definitely one of the best looking 4-door sedan on the road right now.
    I've seen this silver 6 right in back of this 03 Accord 2 hours ago. Funny to see the new 03's running back to back like that.
  • panamaltd2panamaltd2 Member Posts: 162
    Maybe you should come out to Santa Barbara. Both the Altima and the Accord are more heavily discounted than the 6. The Altima has had huge discounts lately while the 6 really doesn't.
  • hokiedoghokiedog Member Posts: 24
    Two things.

The 6I without the sports package is the only one that I know of that is *commonly* selling very close to invoice. Despite advertising the 6S MT, Mazda decided to make mostly 6I Autos, so now dealers gotta move them so they can order option combos that are selling for more profitable margins. My local dealer says they need to sell 12 Mazda6's in order to order 1 6S MT.

If any of that is wrong, please correct me!

The second thing is that you can't really tell what people are paying for by reading a message board. The 6S MT appears to be selling at MSRP in most areas, and yet I've read maybe one post where the person admitted for paying as much. Generally, only the people who got a great deal are going to be eager to share how much they paid. Because of this, on a message board it is easy for the exception to appear to be the rule.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    aren't they. Not the REAL old Cadillac people but the 45-60 year olds. They gots lotsa bucks by then too.
    Just got back from NYC with the family and sure was a fun drive with the 6. No "rump numbness". It was a 388 mi round trip plus driving around in the city. Used up 14.6 gal so I got almost 26.6 mpg. Not bad for the 6s. Also got a lot of looks and "nice looking car" comments.
    Check this site out: http://www.carpages.co.uk/mazda/mazda_mazda6_estate_wins_what_car- _award_18_01_03.asp
    The Baby Boom generation is getting older and older. They represent the largest age-related consumer segment and hence, it's a large amount of buying power focused in a single market segment. In other words - the holy grail for marketers.

As they age, the products marketed to them will adjust to their changing lifestyle. As they enter retirement and their buying power diminishes - so will the products directed at them.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    >>> lost a sale because they hired a salesperson that didn't know what they were doing or talking about. <<<

actually I love salespeople who dont know heck about not only the competitors product, but their own product. I will argue with them, show them their mistakes, make them feel ignorant and lower their self esteem so much so that they would be an easy prey for a GREAT bargain process. I will kill them for their lack of knowledge.
    More recognition info on the M6 overseas: http://www.carpages.co.uk/mazda/mazda_6_wins_fleet_accolade_25_03- _03.asp
    Family wants to take the 6 to Bar Harbor, Maine or the Cape.
    I think someone was interested in the Mazda3, here is what I found:
    http://www.carpages.co.uk/mazda/mazda_takes_wraps_off_fourth_mode- l_05_03_03.asp
    Got to go, family bugging me we need to go Zoom-zoom now!
    First off on the older byers does Honda really want to be like Cadillac and Toyota and have the oldest buyers in the industry? Both Cadillac and Toyota want younger buyers except they can't get them. Toyota is labeled the "Japanese Buick" while Cadillac is labled an "old peoples brand".

About Accord and Altima both have good resale value. If they were discounted resale value would be bad. Last generation Altima resale value really wasn't that good because of the discounting. Honda dealers aren't going to give anybody under invoice.
  • jndesmarjndesmar Member Posts: 13
    I can understand why this cars list of awards continues to grow. Just took the car on a road trip into the Canadian Rockies and wow...best car I have ever driven. The handling and performance was outstanding. Lots of high end power which made it very difficult to keep the car under 75mph. The handling in those twisting and turning mountain roads was as good has I've ever experienced. Gas mileage appears to be improving as well. A combination of City and Highway after 600 miles was about 23mpg. Coming home at night the lighting was outstanding. With the regular beams and the integrated fog light, visibility was as good as I've seen. The high beams when needed was also excellent. Every day I drive this car the more I know I made the right choice.....
  • panamaltd2panamaltd2 Member Posts: 162
    Oh, I am sorry, I guess you are right. The discount advertisements on the Altima here in the newspaper in front of me are not real because you said so. How could I be so stupid?
    I have seen 0% financing for the Altima but I don't know about if you get a 2,000 dollar rebate or not on an Altima now. I have seen resale value's for used 02 and even some 03 Altima's: it has better resale value than last generation.
  • glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    Does anyone know if Mazda is offering $1,000 dealer cash on the 6? Our dealer just marked all the 6' $1,000 off sticker as a starting point. Up till today they would not move at all. They even have 5-MT 6s' $1,000 off sticker?

Mark.
  • vegoenvegoen Member Posts: 82
    Hey guys, I really want to buy a Mazda6 is there anything i should know before buying, like which deals are best and which options are best value

And also is it smart to buy a used mazda6
  • miata10aemiata10ae Member Posts: 90
    Drove back home yesterday afternoon from the Mazda Rev It Up event with the 6s. It was the first time that I took the car out on a 70 mile trip. I had so much fun on the highway that I didn't realize that I missed my exit until after 20 miles later.
    The event was a lot of fun too. One of the things that struck me was the fact that those 6Ss were being driven hard from 7am to 6pm non-stop, and not a single car was pulled aside for an engine check. What a great car!
    By the way, if any of you are interested on the RX-8 this is the place to check it out.
  • metenuzerometenuzero Member Posts: 31
    For a Redfire 6S MT w/ Sport, Bose, Chrome Fuel Door, Sport Grille, and Autodimming mirror and homelink i paid 23,621 out the door. That is with 6% tax, 175 for a new tag, and minus 500 for college grad discount. I can't remember the actual selling price before Tax and title, but I feel paying a little under MSRP total (with tax and title), was a good deal. This car was not on the lot, my dealer traded it with one 200 miles away. Hope this info helps towards the pricing discussion.
  • combustible1combustible1 Member Posts: 264
    well in terms of getting the best price deal, it's seems to go in this order:

AT 6i
    AT 6s
    MT 6i
    MT 6s

basically, comes down to supply and demand.

many other factors to consider of course.. it's best just to take a couple hours to dig through previous posts and you'll find a lot of good info here.
    Ok, cool thanks guys, I just really love how the Mazda 6 looks especialy the front and tail lights, awsome styling.

I will probably get the sports package, although I dont understand why the bose audio system costs 250 less then the whole sports package, little over pricing going on.... :p
    "And also is it smart to buy a used mazda6"

It would be smart - it'd be low miles for sure, but currently I think you'll have a VERY hard time finding one. The car has only been in production since December. 2003 is the first model year for the 6. The 626 is NOTHING like this car - two completely different cars that share no parts.
    People say that M6 isnt a true import because of its ford built engine. Anyone believe its unreliable for the long haul?
    jndesmar: Sorry if you've already mentioned it on a previous post, but what 6 do you have i or s, AT or MT? At 600 mi, you're just about broken in and your gas mileage should improve after another 400 to 600 mi. Just got back from the Cape(25.8 mpg) myself though not as challenging drive as the Canadian Rockies, it was still a blast! Can't wait to try some twisty mountain roads like what you experienced. Just been on flat sharp hairpin-type turns, but man can the 6 handle them at a fast clip and rarely using the brakes to slow down. I think aromas mentioned some mountain twisty roads he was going to try somewhere in the mid or south atlantic US states. I think he hinted for a 6 get-together there which sounds like a great idea, just needs some planning to get it off.

aromas: Are you still with us? I haven't heard from you in a while. Maybe I'll let you try my 6s MT!

miata10ae: Can't wait to Rev It Up too! But have to wait until mid-July. This shows how tough the 6 is with all this trashing around at this event if only fluid (oil & trans), filter and maybe tire changes. How did you do (time & place position) anyway?

vegoen: The price you pay for the Sport package include the following: 17" alloy wheels w/215/50R17 Michelin Pilots, integrated fog lights , front & rear sport-type fascias, side sill extensions, rear-wing spoiler, black interior trim, chrome oval exhaust tips at both tail pipes and electroluminescent instrumentation. I think I covered it all? If you paid them separately you'd pay mucho bucks!
    i know but sports package doesnt include bose, and the chrome is part of appearence package thats seperate, and side sill extensions
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    No, the Bose is a totally different thing from the Sport Package. You are right about that. However, the Appearance Package includes the aero body add-ons from the Sport Package, but not the wheels and fog lights. The Chrome Package is another separate thing, and includes the chrome accents.
  • aromasaromas Member Posts: 314
    alcjew: I'm back, been pretty busy lately. Finally got some good weather in Toronto so I've been busy with spring cleaning and of course washing my little baby!Advice, those swiffer towels are a great way to get those tar spots off your paint as well as cleaning the dash.

It's funny you mentioned about letting me borrow your MT6 because something happened tonight which would make me reconsider. I was coming home from a friend's place on the highway so I thought I finally would air out the car as the highway was pretty empty and I have about 1500 miles on it so break-in is pretty much over.

Next thing I knew a cop with his lights on comes behind me and I look down and much to my chagrin I was going nearly 100 m.p.h.(speed limit 60m.p.h.) Couldn't believe it. I swear I thought I was going 70 tops. This car is so damn composed at high speeds. The cop takes my info and goes back to the cruiser, all the while I'm thinking I'm gonna have to take out a 2nd mortgage just to pay this ticket. Then the mazda gods smiled on me and the cop apparently got an emergency call and said this is your lucky day and took off! I don't even want to think what I would do with a stick.

Those twisties are in Tennesse, I may be going to Myrtle Beach in July so I would take a detour and try it then. Apparently some Torontoians are trying to get a 6 club together so maybe we can make it intercontinental in time as it looks like it's gonna be a niche car just the way I would want it.
  • altersysaltersys Member Posts: 56
    Agreed... but I was more impressed with the lack of brake fade as the cars were using the stock setup and weren't really cooling down that much between runs. Sure the speeds weren't that high, but still... it was impressive.

-Alt
  • mazdamarlamazdamarla Member Posts: 350
    CRUISE CONTROL.

;-) You lucked out big time! :)
  • jndesmarjndesmar Member Posts: 13
    My M6 is a completely loaded Black AT 6s. Up here in Canada we call it a GT-V6 with GFX.