Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• Options
    mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Yeah, you guys are just saying what I'm thinking anyway.
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    That's what I like about the VW commercials (and the one Audi commercial where the guy thinks "AWD might be a good thing" as his car spins up and down an iced-over parking lot). They make lousy cars though.

They need to play up what makes Mazdas different. The cars are engaging and invite you to experience driving. Others have more straight-line acceleration, are as reliable etc. But none offer the blend of fun, practicality, reliability, comfort and affordability that they do. Did they ever do a commercial showing the kid driving around on a go-kart with the big smile on his face? I recall some still image (blurred out, sort-of) of that used as a backdrop on a web page or two of theirs. Now, THAT's the emotion I feel when I drive my Protege, then I can dump a bunch of groceries in it and my kids too.
  • Options
    mkcomkco Member Posts: 65
    Mazda6 tops in owner satisfaction...

http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e_article000147656.cfm
  • Options
    stretchsjestretchsje Member Posts: 700
    Get the 6s, maximize your fun.

No, get the 6i to maximize your fun :-)

I expect to see pictures tomorrow, Mazda6s.
  • Options
    chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    The Mazda6 commercials are too mechanical.
    There is no emotion attached to the commercials, nor any smooth camera work that shows all the aspects of the car inside and outside.

But my main gripe is:

It fails to connect to real people.
    The advertisement should be woven around the common man and his desire to get some zoom zoom in life.

Does the ad feature a common man? NO
    Does the ad show how the 6 fits into ones lifestyle? NO
    Does the ad represent the emotions of a common man? NO

What does the ad represent? Only the CAR.

End Result: People see the ad, but fail to connect with the car.
  • Options
    miata10aemiata10ae Member Posts: 90
    mazda6s: Don't you want a car that matches your username? :-)
  • Options
    aromasaromas Member Posts: 314
    I was waiting for your rebuttal Stretch.

Mazda6s: if you're planning to get a stick(unlike me, sigh) either way then you got to get the 6s, then you really got a hotrod. That baby would fly.
  • Options
    flatlinerflatliner Member Posts: 11
    I've been lurking in the background for a few months now, learning a lot about the 6. What a useful tool this is! I may not fit the average age group here (I'm 47), but I do know that I'm tired of being bored when driving! I currently own an A/T Honda CRV, which has been a great vehicle. But let's face it: being fun to drive and owning any type of SUV just don't go together. And IMO driving an A/T car fits right in there as well. This was my first and last Auto Tranny. If you want to really enjoy driving, and feel a part of it, you need to have a manual.

If all goes well, I will be getting my 6 late this year. About 2 months ago, I went to a dealer here in Atlanta (they are now offering 'S' plan pricing to everyone) and test drove an 6i M with the sport package. I was very impressed! What a car! At first I thought I would be disappointed with the 4 cyl engine, but not so! I am having second thoughts about the sports package, though. Has anyone tried to put a bicycle rack on a 6 that has the sports spoiler? (The type that goes on the trunk lid). Seems like the spoiler would be in the way.

Also, I still can't believe how few of the great car are selling. I have seen only 2 in Atlanta since January! Sales can't be THAT bad, can they? Maybe people are hiding them at home. I just don't understand why more people don't consider this car when looking at the Accord/Camry/Altima/Passat. Now, here's a question. I've read many comparisons between all of the above mentioned cars here in this group with one exception: the Passat. I have seen nothing here about that car at all. For awhile I was considering that car. But after reading about it's problems on the VW discussion board, I reconsidered: In 1984 I had a Jetta. One of my favorite cars to drive (so far). But it had a big problem: it would cut off without warning! And wouldn't start back. After many trips to the dealer's service center with the answer "We can't duplicate the problem", I gave up and got rid of the car. Seems some Passats are still doing that, among other things. In contrast to that, my wife owned a 1988 626. The most reliable, trouble free car we've ever owned. Need I say more?

I'll go for now....looking forward to a new 6 with manual tranny: back to having fun again!
  • Options
    mazda6sammazda6sam Member Posts: 20
    To back Flatliner up I've only seen three 6's in Atlanta and mine was one of them. I actually saw a white 6 on I75 yesterday and I couldn't believe it. It's kinda like in the 80's when Harleys were still not selling and everytime u saw them pass each other they gave a thumbs up. That's how I felt, I almost honked at the guy to give him my approval.
  • Options
    sepangm6ssepangm6s Member Posts: 6
    I have owned a Sepang Green 6s with sport pkg since March, really LOVE this car! I have seen quite a few 6's around Atlanta myself. I would say I have seen at least 15 in mostly sport guise in different parts of the city.

This is truly a zoom zoom fun car to drive!
  • Options
    You're both right, that's what is killing me.

6i-MT vs. 6s-MT - here's the deal:

Cost ---
    I don't care about the extra cost, so that's a tie. Besides, once you add options to the 6i, the gap narrows a lot.

Power ---
    The 6s has a more linear power delivery, and is just smoother overall. The extra power gives you more flexibility in freeway driving. I live at 5000ft, and at this altitude the 3.0L feels about like a 2.3L would at sea level. Plus, (and this is the kid in me) I like to know I can blow away that tricked-out Civic from a stop light if I decide to (sometimes I actually do it). I also like to be able to hold 80mph through a sleep mountain pass at 8000 ft or so. Advantage 6s.

Handling ---
    The 6i has a more balanced feel to it, and feels lighter, even though the weight difference is only 201 pounds. Adding Premium pkg and SAB/SAC to the 6i would probably narrow that gap to maybe 150 pounds or so. And, the 6s has a nice character of it's own. It feels more substantial, more steady at freeway speeds, and it's quieter. As you drive the 6s more, you start to appreciate it's own personality. Still, the car was designed around the MZR engine family, so how can it be as good with the 3.0L? Advantage 6i (probably).

What's the bottom line? I'm sure I would like the 6i, but I would probably like the 6s better.
  • Options
    buddy_2_buddy_2_ Member Posts: 30
    This is soon to my car. I am supposed to be getting it with in the next two weeks i hope. I ordered it in mid march so i should be getting it right away... IT is a black mazda6 V6 with the GFX package, M/T, it is loaded with everything.

just paste this in

www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=345074&ma- ke_type_query=make%3DMazda&model_brand_query=model%3D6&tr- ee=Mazda%206
  • Options
    microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    After reading the article about Auto-Pacific's "objective" VSS (Vehicle Satisfaction Score) results, I have two thoughts. One, what is the criteria for "satisfaction"? Is this based upon some measureable criteria like how many things needed to be tweaked by the dealer, or is it just a "Rah-Rah" survey based upon people being smugly satisfied that they made a great buying decision. Secondly, if Auto-Pacific should add another 10 categories, then they could list nearly every car made... It seems rather foolish to have "light duty", "heavy-duty", and "super-duty" large SUV's... Kinda looks like they did this so everyone can get an award...!

According to them, the Honda Accord is a "premium" mid-size car vs. the Mazda6 as a "standard" mid-sized car.. Why ?? They seem pretty similar to me..
  • Options
    windowphobe6windowphobe6 Member Posts: 765
    I don't know how they can portray the 6 and make it seem indispensable to Joe and Susan Sixpack. The one and only Zoom-Zoom TV spot they did for the 626 was actually pretty good, but it failed to spark sales.

Back yard in Deepest Suburbia. Kid (maybe nine) says, "Dad, what's it like to drive?"

Dad looks blank for a moment, then breaks into a grin.

Intercut: standard shots of 626 in the twisties, dad and kid swinging around in a circle. "Zoom-Zoom" theme in evidence.

Finally, voiceover: "Remember how it was? That's how it is."

Maybe it's just me (and I'm way older than most of you), but I thought it was nicely evocative. Didn't sell a heck of a lot of cars, though.
  • Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    The one showing the 6's tack needle getting at 6000RPMs and only with the engine sound is one of the best ads I have ever seen for any product!!! It was not shown in Toronto (Canada's largest city and economic centre) to the best of my knowledge. I had to download it off the net just to realize how good it is.

Mazda shoud have spots without music, just the 6 going through the gears (MT of course), with shots of the inside and outside.

A good slogan would be: Mazda6: Do you get IT? With the IT glowing, and a 5 second list of all awards it won in Europe and Asia - like car of the year in many Euro countries!!!!

Use it to your advantage Mazda!

Dinu
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    I live in the Kenessaw area. Is one o you the yellow 6 that seems to be everywhere. It's a yellow sport package. You live off Dallas highway. Nice car.

I saw my 5th or so 6 today. It was silver non-sport.
  • Options
    alcjewalcjew Member Posts: 173
    aromas: How's it going? I'm thinking a black or red RX-8, but my taste may change if there are more color selections in 4-5 years and if if it is still around then or may get one used too. It would be a nonwinter car.
    I too thought I had a problem with programming my Homelink, but got it to work. My garage door opener (Genie) has the syncro rolling code. You may have programmed it already, because there is a slight (.5 - 1 sec) delay before the garage door starts to open when using the Homelink vs the regular remote. If this isn't the case do the "Erasing Programmed Homelink Buttons" step. Then retry the programming steps again. If you have a rolling code you need to follow those steps too. What brand is your opener? Good luck!
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    You may need a new battery in your opener remote. Also be sure the remote has been programmed properly. I have to go through a series of steps occasionaly to recycle the codes.

Start with the remote working correctly.

fowler3
  • Options
    carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    They sold 4408 6's I think last month. So its still an increase. The Miata is made by Mitsubishi? Thats the funniest I have heard in a while. As for the twisty windy road Mazda has been doing that since when the 99+ Protege came out. I don't know how Mazda plans to survive and make profits. Somebody said on these boards Mazda is known for alot of discounting and thats a problem. I don't see it as that. If you remember right Mazda sold 350,000-370,000 cars between 1990-1994 so Mazda is no slouch. 1994 was the year of the infamous Ford tranny which dropped Mazda sales big time. Basically Mazda buyers after the Ford tranny incidents went to Honda and Toyota and never gave Mazda a second chance because of the Ford factor. Mazda'a are reliable but the Ford Tranny incidents thew their loyal buyers off the Mazda ship a decade ago. Mazda needs to do something to pull those sales up. I understand about the recession but Mazda has alot of hot models that deserve better fate. Like somebody said before the 6 selling this well is kinda of a miracle in itself due to the poor option packages. I don't think Mazda is ever going to get back of their peak of their popularity of 1990-1994. It doesn't look so good now anyway. Another factor is Mazda in 1995 really had no youth cars for the people in their 20's. Thats a whole generation of people lost due to no youth cars.
  • Options
    buddy_2_buddy_2_ Member Posts: 30
  • Options
    stretchsjestretchsje Member Posts: 700
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    I think the youth market will pick up greatly if Mazda brings out the car shown at the New York Auto show. It has everything youths look for in a car, especially if it has the 2.3 litre engine.

The 6 isn't really designed for the low-end youth market, those still in high school and university. The price point is too high "loaded".

Then Mazda will have a broader range of cars for all age groups. With the MZ6, they have two cars and options personalize them. With the Mazda3/Sportif, they will have three more cars, equally exciting, if not more so than the 6, and at a lower price.

The big deal now is "cross-over" vehicles. What about cross-over buyers, when older people buy the sport models? That's the market these days.Bring them in! Drag them in! They will buy when they see and test drive them!

It takes time to reinvent a company's business plan and marketing.

Keep the faith!

fowler3
  • Options
    caligirl94caligirl94 Member Posts: 24
    Hello again.

Well, the dealer didn't offer me a very good deal on the 6 last weekend, so I decided to wait. Now I'm actually thinking of ordering one, but I have a couple questions I'm hoping someone can answer.

First, if I order one through the dealer, is the cost always going to be $500 over invoice, or can the dealer determine the cost of the car (I'm guessing they'd make me pay more if they could).

Also, I read on here a while back that in order to get a 2003 model built before production switches over to 2004, the order had to be submitted by a certain point, and I don't remember what the date was. If anyone knows either what page/post it was or the dates, I would appreciate it.

Thanks again for all your help. :)
  • Options
    ambullambull Member Posts: 255
    From post 10369: "Also, May is expected to be the last month Mazda is accepting orders for 2003's. So if you plan on factory ordering the MZ6 you need to get going."
    P.S. I just found a link which says May 15 is the 2003 final order due date:
    http://www.donlen.com/Whats_New/new_buildstart_mazda.html
  • Options
    The problem I see with Mazda is sales are down after Mazda had a sales pickup from 98-01. Sales were down last year from 01 figures. Mazda has the Tribute for a cross-over vehicle. Generation X really abadoned Mazda because in the mid 90's Mazda had nothing for them. Generation Y has the Protege 5 to buy but Generation X likes their Honda's and VW's. If the MZ 6 can sell 7,000 a month Mazda figures would go up from last year. I was looking at Chrysler Sebring sales and Chrysler sold 10,000 Sebring's last month. Even the Sebring is selling in good numbers. I went by the local Mazda dealer today and they have a line of 6's in the front row. Mazda doesn't go for people in their 60's. Cadillac tried that and look what Cadillac had to do to win buyers back. Going for people in their 60's is not a smart move by any brand.
  • Options
    Ya, like the man said, young people want "young" cars, and older people want "young" cars.
  • Options
    Unless you're on some special pricing plan like the S-plan or something, the selling price of a ordered car is negotiable just like the price of a car on the lot. If the dealer tells you anything else it's just BS to get you to pay more. My advice to anyone car shopping is always the same, don't believe anything they tell you unless you can verify it. This bothers a lot of people as it's not a nice feeling to start with the assumption that people are not being honest with you, but that's the way it is. But, we should always remember that there are also a lot of hard working, honest people out there selling cars. If you have the time you should read "What Car Dealers Don't Want You to Know", by Mark Eskeldson (ISBN 0964056070). It's available from Amazon.com for about 10 bucks if you're interested. IMO this should be required reading for anyone shopping for a car.
  • Options
    True, the target audience for the MZ6 may be younger than say, for the Altima, Accord, and Camry. But, if this message board is any indication, the people who are buying the MZ6 span a wide range of ages.

And, there are cars targeted for older folks. They're called Buicks. Maybe I'll buy one of those when I'm 80. ;)
  • Options
    metenuzerometenuzero Member Posts: 32
    I'm 16 with a 6s MT, although I may not be an indicator of what every 16 year old can afford the styling certainly appeals to me.
  • Options
    glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    I'm 42 and will be trying to land a Steel Grey 6s tomorrow.

Didn't like the color until I saw it waxed in the sun. Totally different than on the lot with dust.

Mark
  • Options
    I'm looking at a M6 or M3 as my next NEW car, in about 1-1.5 yrs from now. Until then I look (no touching - drove a 6s fully loaded and I couldn't stop smiling), discuss it, read about it...

Dinu
  • Options
    shankmshankm Member Posts: 10
    My dealer had ordered the 6s with manual tran. 3 weeks ago, and I just picked it up on Friday... Great so far, just want to get the break in period over with.

The only part of the car which I have to say needs improvement is the Bose stereo. Could use some low end bass response.. I think the sub. is weak.

Some input on the weak sales for the Mazda 6, I think Mazda needs to use a bit more advertisement in Canada. I have not yet seen any ads for the M6, and a few more 6s manual tran. on the lots of the Dealers in Canada would help.
  • Options
    Congrats!

Where in Canada?

So you got the V6 GS or GT? Any options? We want the details.

Cheers!
    Dinu
  • Options
    sjg35sjg35 Member Posts: 18
    i guess i'll probably have to order also. i'd like a 6i MT but with ABS/TCS and the air bag package, which i don't see on the lots. would it be possible to get the 17" wheels without the sport package? what will be the changes to the 2004? price increase? thanks, probably will make up mind after rev-it-up in atlanta in a couple of weeks. just would like to see the rx-8 before i make my final decision.
  • Options
    is 40 years old. Not bad at all. Average age for the Accord and Camry is older. I think my main point is Mazda doesn't have enough loyal buyers. Honda, Toyota, Gm, and Ford have the most loyal buyers in my opinion. Mazda needs younger buyers yes. One thing Mazda does have going for them is that all age ranges seem to like their whole model line. As this years Mazda 1st quarter+ there is not enough of those buyers.

As for changes for the 6 for 2004 I don't expect any design changes. 2005 may see a mild refresh I think. The Protege saw a refresh in between the 00 and 01 model year so Mazda does refreshes for the 3rd year of each body style.
  • Options
    I saw the commercial for the Rx-8 having to do with some movie that is coming out: cool commercial. Nice Marketing by Mazda!
  • Options
    voochvooch Member Posts: 92
    You mean X-Men 2! Looks like its its Wolverine's car.
  • Options
    I had a 86 Mazda 626 that was a great car. I would have replaced it with another Mazda, but at the time I needed a new car, Mazda had lost their direction and had nothing I was really interested in. Now they are back on track with the 6.
  • Options
    alcjewalcjew Member Posts: 173
    I haven't seen the movie, X2: X-Men United, or the RX-8 commercial, but the movie was No. 1 at the box office this weekend at $85.85 million.
  • Options
    aromasaromas Member Posts: 314
    85 million, WOW, That's like twice as much as the 1st one for opening weekend. I'm not a big fan of the X-men movies but I may go see it just to see the RX-8. The racing blue on the website looks really hot on the car. Mazda.ca lists the same price for the car for the AT and manual, difference being with the AT you get 210 HP and the manual you get 255HP at no extra charge. The 18" wheels are standard for both. I like that. Mazda seems to have a real soft spot for Canada. We get the best packages.

The new Max, IMO fugly and alot more expensive, sells 11000+ for April and Mazda 6 can't get close to half that. It's just not right I tell ya, just not right. I didn't see any new advertizing for the Max anywhere and they can still pull that off.
  • Options
    mazda6sammazda6sam Member Posts: 20
    Hey gee35,

I actually have a silver 6i non-sport but I love this car. I looked at the 6s a long time but I have a long commute and I had a V6 car and I was tired of the gas mileage. I drove in this morning to work behind an IS300 and even though I like those cars I was proud to be in my 6.
  • Options
    sjg35sjg35 Member Posts: 18
    i think the 6i MT has the punch to grapple with the average atlanta commute, though i'm not sure the new prius will have the ability to scoot from lane to lane, although it will cruise comfortably and endure bumper-tp-bumper congestion.
  • Options
    cookie01cookie01 Member Posts: 369
    Friday I'm heading home and stopped at a stopsign in a residential area. The guy in front of me is in an older Explorer and I can see he's looking at something in his lap(reading? directions) and he starts to roll backward.
    I LAY on the horn for about 10 full seconds but he never looks up until he BUMPS me!!! I was so ticked off! What is it with "distracted" drivers? He takes a left and I happen to be going that way too. So I speed up a little and he keeps going and looking at me in his mirrors. Then, out of no where (no signal) he hangs a U-y in the street and heads back the other way. I got his licence number, then quickly went to the school to pick up my kid.

I looked all over the front of my car and I can't see anything. I believe he might have hit the licence plate holder. WHEW!!!

Still, scared the crap out me.. The car was all of two months old on that very day...

be careful out there..
  • Options
    mazdamarlamazdamarla Member Posts: 350
    Don't those types of drivers just IRRITATE you to no end?! Not to even mention they are a hazard to themselves and everyone else! And then actually trying to "outrun" you even tho he obviously had to KNOW he bumped you. Jeesh.

I saw a Steel Gray 6 this weekend here. Got a glimpse as it was driving past. That's 2 I've seen - one Steel Gray and one Glacier Silver.

I got an email from the other dealer that I HAD been dealing with (but decided to order from the one here in my town instead just due to convenience). Anyway, I haven't told her I ordered from this other dealer yet, so she emailed me this morning and asked if I was going to wait for the hatchback still, because Mazda is now offering a non-advertised extra incentive where if you go with something in stock here or within the region this month, on top of your S-plan price, you would get an extra $500 - $1000 off. I replied back asking if that was a dealer incentive or a Mazda incentive, and she replied that it was a Mazda incentive...that "this incentive is not advertised and will not be advertised. It is from Mazda, but because it is only for a select group of people, they won't advertise it."

She said "When you order a vehicle, you are subject to whatever incentives are in place at the time you pick up the vehicle. This incentive is only through the end of the month and any ordered vehicle would not be here that quick."

Anyone know what this extra incentive is??? The way she worded that last part above, I'm assuming that if you'd ORDERED a car before, and it did come in before the end of May, that this incentive would then apply. But if you were just thinking of ordering a car NOW, it would not because the car wouldn't be here in time. So that's why she offered it asking if I'd want to possibly buy one out of their inventory or a regional trade situation.

Hmmmmm....I sure hope that the car I ordered on March 31 somehow comes in before the end of May! I could deal with an extra $500 to $1000 off my price! :)

Anyone else know anything about this "non-advertised incentive"???
  • Options
    I know what you mean. I got cut off this morning by a guy in an Expedition talking on his phone.
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Glad no serious damage to car or driver was incurred.

I think you can actually get that guy on a "hit and run" since he was obviously trying to lose you after hitting your car. You got the plate number and a description of driver and vehicle. Noting time and location helps too. I've actually gotten the local police to issue warnings through snail-mail to drivers (or at least the registered owners) I've reported going through red lights, blowing through stop signs, going out of turn, weaving etc. if I provide enough information to them.

They really need to establish some type of reporting system to weed out bad behavior, but I guess it might be too "big brother." Still, I'd rather put up with that than with all the dangerous drivers on the road.
  • Options
    mikef208mikef208 Member Posts: 69
    I saw the movie yesterday and its actually Cyclopses car, yet wolverine ends up driving it.
  • Options
    alangenhalangenh Member Posts: 5
    I'm not sure about the idea of unadvertised incentives... how does the consumer know what he should or should not get? This seems like something mostly of benefit to the dealer, who can reveal it to the customer if necessary during negotiation, otherwise pocket the money himself... or maybe not, but still the idea feels somewhat sleazy.

Has mazda done this sort of unadvertised incentive in the past?
  • Options
    mazdamarlamazdamarla Member Posts: 350
    I asked what the difference is between the $500-1000 incentive...if it's based on the model, etc.

She replied: "Yes, it depends on the model. The extra money is on vehicles without the sport package, but is available on appearance package vehicles."

So it sounds like you could get $500 off a sport package model, and $1000 off plain models or ones with the Appearance package. That's how I read it, anyway. ???
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    The idea isn't sleazy - it's a way to help sell vehicles without advertising rebates and adversely impacting the brand/model. Imagine the heart palpitations if Mazda were advertising $1000 rebates on the Mazda6 already. Many here would take it as an insult. :-)

Manufacturer to dealer incentives are just that - they are offered to the dealer to spend as they see fit in order to sell more vehicles. Many dealers will pass it along to their customers, offer it as spiffs/bonuses to the sales people, spend it on advertising, apply it all on few vehicles (ie $6000 off these stock numbers!!!), paint the employee lounge with it, or - gasp - keep it as additional profit.

If it were a consumer incentive (lease deal, college grad, straight rebate) then the money belongs to the consumer, not the dealer.

On the other hand, I have no problem asking for the money if you know about it. But I wouldn't get offended if they said no.