Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    First of all, you should keep everything else constant. So take the same car with the same config and only change the rear drums to discs. Use the Honda Accord if you wish, since it comes both ways (LX/EX 4). It has been done before, and the results weren't huge, but weren't negligeable either. Yes, the fronts do most of the braking, but not all.
    the debate(s) is(are) old, but what are these lists for if not for plodding over the same ground over and over and over. ;-)
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    And it made a difference of about 5 feet or so. In addition I said a well designed set. In which case you don't just arbitrarily put a set of drums on the car. I mean inadequate brakes can be disc or drum. "Well designed" by definition means a set that can adequately perform the function needed.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Anyone that knows a little about cars would pay an extra $100 to get front AND rear discs over front discs and rear drums.

Problem is, most of the driving public cares how many airbags the car has (concerned about passive safety over active) and if it has a passenger vanity mirror (first question a few female freiends asked when they saw the car (Protege) for the 1st time - after saying "nice colour").

Dinu
    I gave you free rein to use your favorite, the Honda Accord, or any car you'd like for that matter.

... and you made a good choice in the Protege. The Protege has well designed brakes. 60-0 in 123 feet, and good feel too. I'll take the 5 feet (which was actually closer to 9 feet, but hey - who's counting?).

... and as malt would point out, the difference gets even bigger from even higher speeds. Afterall, who drives 60 on the highway these days?

Ooops, gawkers have traffic stopped ahead, and everyone is slamming on the brakes all of the sudden. Am I going to make it? Bam!!! Oh, man. Just 5(9) feet short. Oh well. Better luck next time. ;-)
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    We're not debating discs vs. drums AGAIN, are we?
    Because I've seen this subject rehashed there every other week. I don't know the distances in the drum brake Accord.
    But the difference is just about the same you would probably get when you changed tires, brake pad composition, tire wear pattern blah blah...
    Under normal driving conditions it won't matter any more than any other variable.
    It's a free country. You can pick up stopping distance with anything you want so long as its legal - better tires, better pads, ... 4 wheel discs. Whatever floats your boat.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    What annoys me is that someone always throws in "Well, BMW's are the best" in any car discussion. Even if it's comparing compacts.

The 6 isn't meant to be a "Beemer killer". It's a sporty alternative to all the plain jane FWD sedans.
    But if maximum braking were a priority then all Mazdas would have ABS, EBD, 18" high performance tires, cross drilled rotors and infra-red vision for night driving safety.
    They don't because they feel the configuration that they have built is adequate for the vehicle's intended service. Just as those cars with disc/drum confuguration.
  • glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    Hey, what the heck is going on here? I always thought the more you pressed on the pedal the faster you stopped?

What is all this stuff about design, and disks versus drums?

Mark. ?
    Now you've burst my bubble.

Seriously, if I had money for a BMW, I would give a kind wave to my Mazda dealer as I passed him or her on the way to buy a BMW.

Actually, strike that. If I had the money for a Gee35 Coupe ... that certainly does beg the question, doesn't it?
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    For one, disc pads are a lot easier to check on and replace. I didn't like replacing the pads on the rear drums of my 323, and I'll pay for someone else to do it on my ProtegeLX.

If I lived in a hilly area, I'd definitely go with rear discs. You do notice the brake fade during a long downhill grade (even after shifting down for some compression braking from the engine), and it's a little scary.

I think the lower heat-transfer rate of drums is the culprit. Some braking ability is lost to increased gas forming between pad and drum. More loss occurs when the brake fluid is heated to the point that gas bubbles form in the brake lines. This can disable your entire brake system, front discs included (as I think most systems tie diagonally-oriented brakes together).

But for most folks, on mostly flat terrain, rear drums are fine. I'd just prefer rear discs (mostly for easier maintenance). Plus, they look neater. :)
  • bme_cvbme_cv Member Posts: 8
    I am a Mazda6 owner for a couple of weeks and still come back to this board and read posts.

Why does someone want to compare Mazda6 to Cam/Accord? Dinu is right. These are two different types of cars, and comparison is meaningless. Please drop such topic.

If someone want a nice family sedan, it is a good deal for them to buy a Camry or Accord. However I want something a little more fun for driving and hasing a distinguish style, so I chose Mazda6. I do not want to park my car in a parking lot and find it is difficult to locate it, because so many people drive the same car as I do. Mazda already made it clear that Mazda6 is not a car for everyone, and please do not expect it will be such a popular car as Camry/Accord.

bme
    The exterior didn't compliment the interior and the 6 speed ersion i wanted would cost over $34,000 so I passed. I wasn't buying it for the performance, I just like the way it looked in the pictures.
    I bought an Accord instead and will use the extra money toward paying off my house.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    "Seriously, if I had money for a BMW, I would give a kind wave to my Mazda dealer as I passed him or her on the way to buy a BMW."

So get one then.
  • glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    "But if maximum braking were a priority then all Mazdas would have ABS, EBD, 18" high performance tires, cross drilled rotors and infra-red vision for night driving safety."

Sounds like the 05 MPV to me!
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    I'd still get the 6 hatch or wagon, and keep the change. :)

Ditto BMW. I prefer FWD for the snow/rain and am willing to accept the understeer trade-off. Besides, BMWs are getting too gadgety for me. I am totally turned off by that iDrive system. Give me dials and big buttons, please (actually, I'm not that fond of the 6's center stack design...controls too far away from the display and the design doesn't look flexible for fitting-in aftermarket stereo equipment).
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    if I had money for a BMW...
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Disc brakes in the back will shorten the stopping distance some, but not alot. The difference is brake pedal feel, as well as progressiveness of the pedal. Heat dissipation also factors in. With the pedal feel comes modulation. If you can "feel" the brakes better, you can modulate them better.

Also, the difference between disc and drums on the back is usually less than 10ft. stopping distance. But what happens if the thing you are stopping FOR is 8 feet away??
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    along with a phat wing and some bad alloys. Type R doode.

Enough disc/drum for the day. Can we talk about accords some more?
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    I saw an Accord Coupe the other day. That is THE MOST unimaginative rear end I have ever seen from a Honda, almost as boring and uninteresting as a (gasp!) a Kia Rio rear end!!!!
    you really think the Kia looks that bad? hmmm

*snickering*
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    the Ac cord on my christmas lights is a little loose and they go on and off in the wind.
    All share the same rear end.

And if the car needed to stop that quick wouldn't it be nice if ABS were included in the package standard also? I mean while we are talking hypotheticals IF you needed to stop that fast ABS and ABD would be a great help. Still leaves the 6 behind the curve it is trying to set.
    the accord's rear end just looks like the Wal-mart generic equivalent to that of the Benz's.

I would take the previous gen Accord coupe's rear end design 10 times over.

*prerequisite Mazda 6 text* I like the Mazda6
  • bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    saw one guy drove the car next to a cliff. Suddenly the car jumps 5ft forward...

Luckily, all airbags working.

Bruno
    A Wal Mart Benz. It's half the price. Geez. Bet ya thought that was smart too. Same with the Rio. Half the price of an Accord

Like a 6 isn't walmart Bimmer?
    if Accord tried to copy MB's design, at least get it right and make it look GOOD.

what it has right now simply doesn't look good.
    but the hardware dept seems to be geared towards double-wides.
    Let's compare when the year is up. I chose the Accord coupe it over the 6 sedan. EBD, EBD, 4wDisc standard on the EX-L. Less than $23 with all accessories.
  • ruefusruefus Member Posts: 254
    Who cares?
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    ...I think it's time for another unity song.

Kumbaya...
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Dinu
    ebda

- Latka Gravis
  • nvcolornvcolor Member Posts: 9
    I don't have time to scroll back through all of the postings, and I am certain this has been addressed. FYI, my daughter is driving a 1995 Millenia that I purchased new in 4/94, now at about 140,000 miles. It has a timing belt, and it is recommended that it be changed every 60,000 miles. When you add in the cost for a 60K service, the tab runs to $800+ - which I have paid twice. We also owned a 90 MPV for 8 years, so I have a certain fondness for Mazda. I am currently driving a 03 Corolla and my wife has an 02 Camry. Both have timing chains. The 6 has caught my attention, but I won't consider it if it has a timing belt that needs to be replaced so frequently. So, which is it?
    I'm sorry, was that an honest question about the 6? I've lost track.
    I thought I read in the literature on the 6 that it's got a chain. I know the 6i does...
    Not necessarily. I will put 100K on my car in 4 years, at which time the belt has to be changed. So it's mileage, not time, that matters to some people.
  • ruefusruefus Member Posts: 254
    is SO frustrating. Numerous topics going at the same time in what looks like the same thread. Ridiculous, and close to useless. How are people supposed to discuss and learn effectively?
    Sorry, I deleted my post because I wasn't sure to understand the original belt question. I was saying "keep the car less than 5 years -> timing belt".

Of course you're correct Paul.
    One thing is that cars with CA emissions have a 105K interval for timing belt changes. Cars without that package (or the NE emissions package) have a 60K timing belt change interval. That's the way it was with my 01 Protege anyway.
    and how it affects the belt lifetime?
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Both engines have chains.
  • ameen6ameen6 Member Posts: 16
    Let's all take a break from arguing about silly things like brakes and which car is better Accord or Mazda6, instead check out what Car And Driver has to say about the Mazda6.

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/10best/2003/2003_10best_cars_mazda_6.xml

(This link may not work if you are not using Windows XP, in that case go to the Car and Driver home page and the main topic will be the “10 Best” list.

There is text, pictures, and a cool video, check them all out.

Interestingly enough you can also check out the Accord, BMW 3 series and Infiniti G35. The all made it to the “10 Best” list. As you would expect the Accord made to because it's a great family sedan while the other three made it to the list because of their great sport sedan qualities...

• mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    "Because I've seen this subject rehashed there every other week. I don't know the distances in the drum brake Accord.
    But the difference is just about the same you would probably get when you changed tires, brake pad composition, tire wear pattern blah blah...
    Under normal driving conditions it won't matter any more than any other variable. "

Hey, under normal conditions you wouldn't need airbags either, or even seat belts for that matter. ;)
  • boxfanboxfan Member Posts: 180
    Let's talk about drum brakes some more! I have a horrible squeal from one of my rear drum brakes. The pads are fine. My mechanic tells me disc brakes are less prone to this problem because 1) they're exposed, rather than enclosed, so dust and larger particulates get washed off more easily, and 2) something to do with the drum brake pads rotating after they make contact with the drum...? Obviously I don't understand this well, but I'm looking for 4-wheel disc brakes in my next car. If brake feel is better, too, that's another good reason for disc brakes, never mind the 5-8 feet of stopping distance.
    California and Northeast emissions. Those regions' emissions standards are more stringest than the rest of the US, I would assume. Most new cars have a package that NE and CA cars have, listed on the Monroney sticker.
  • boxfanboxfan Member Posts: 180
    The new Accord did really well in IIHS crash tests, but previous versions of the Accord got an "acceptable" rating, same as the 626. The 6 has not been rated yet, but it seems that most manufacturers have improved their design to perform well in crash tests (and hopefully crashes). You can't argue anything about the relative safety of the Accord and the 6 until they've both been tested.

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/summary_midinexp.htm

Just don't buy a Grand Am.

So the main reason to change the belt is emission, and not failure prevention? And why should the gouvernement cares about the cause of bad emission? Why it's not enough for them if the car has an old belt and does not pollute?

Bruno, wonder more than ever.