Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• Options
    glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    Been there done that. Too aggressive for my tastes. Name calling, personal attacks and such.

Mark. :)
  • Options
    doodle4doodle4 Member Posts: 10
    i will soon be a proud member of the "old guys club". i am 49 but i feel much younger and act it. life is too precious to be wasted on old age. i plan to live to at least 100 and by then maybe i will actually believe i am 50. as to demographics, i defined the car i wanted to drive and then went looking for it. my definition, which can actually become an ad campaign, was that i wanted a sports car that could carry 4 bales of hay. i believe mazda has given me that.
    just change that "4 bales of hay" to skis, snowboards, surfboards or whatever else your passion is. us old guys have worked hard and deserve our fun while still being practical. my silver 6s manual sports package has been ordered and hopefully will be here by my 49th birthday in january. lets start that "old guys club" up and make the oldest "old guy" on the board the honorary president.
    P.S. i think the greatest appeal of the mazda 6 is - "that it's not an accord".
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Why would the 6's greatest appeal be that it's not an Accord. If that is it's only appeal to you then I have doubts about your long-term satisfaction with the car :)
  • Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Why have doubts? Is it going to turn into an Accord at some point? :)
  • Options
    lol ... only if you're lucky.
  • Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Nah! As you know, us Mazda freaks dread the Accords and Civics of this world, so we wouldn't want that, would we now?

Dinu
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    >> P.S. i think the greatest appeal of the mazda 6 is - "that it's not an accord". <<

The appeal of the 6 is - it looks better than the others. It's a beautiful car! The Accord, Altima, and Camry, to mention 3, are not, each has something about it that doesn't look right. The Accord's front end is bland, the Altima is basically plain sheetmetal except for the headlights and taillamps, and the Camry is very slabsided with an odd placement for the grille logo. Being different for the lack of a better idea didn't work. None are as sleek as the 6.

The guy who asked about the 6's interior compared to the Altima's, it's much better in every way. The Altima has lots of hard plastic and cheap fabric. The Mazda6 has handsom, soft-touch, padded dash covering, the center pod's metallic finish is darker than in photos and looks very nice, the seat fabric is much nicer and more durable - not valour. As opposed to the suade trimmed seats in the Mazda Protegé, the 6's seats are trimmed with a tightly woven fabric that should not show wear and warn spots from sliding in and out. Practicle as opposed to faux luxury.

doodle4: Old age is mandatory/maturity is optional. ;)

fowler3
  • Options
    doodle4doodle4 Member Posts: 10
    i think anonymousposts missed my subtle humor. those of us who find the 6 attractive are generally contrarian thinkers. as such we are wiiling to go against the grain, we don't want to be like everyone else. that was my point with my comment. i applaud mazda for having the guts to design a sports package that was trully sporty. anyone can throw a spoiler on the back of a car and call it a sports car. and that is what all the rest do. just look around any parking lot you drive into and you will see what i mean. be observant and you will get what i mean by my comment and the 6's appeal.
    thank you fowler3 you see the appeal of the 6's looks. all the rest are just bland wanna be's that are trying to appeal to the broadest market.
  • Options
    But....other than the larger tires, guages and leather seats, DOES the sports package really have anything else? Isn't the suspension IDENTICAL, sports package or no?

I, for one, do not want the body effects and spoiler. I can live without the purty instrument panel effects, and can buy 17 wheels and tires in the aftermarket if I want them (though they do contribute to a harsher ride and with the low profile are more susceptible to road hazards as are commonly found in the Appalachians where I live...)
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    My name is Gee35coupe because when I made it up I was G35 crazy. I was sure that was the car for me. But subsequent visits to the Infiniti dealer killed that notion. It's a $35,000 car with an interior that would hardly fit a $20,000 car. So no G35.

I find it amusing that people in here find it necessary to try and bash my decision to buy a Honda, but I still feel the same way about the Mazda as I did after I drove it.
    gee35coupe Dec 1, 2002 11:17am
    The dealerships in Atlanta weren't willing to deal on the 6 and they don't have the 5 door. So we ended up with an Accord. It is a better value right now there's no denying it.
    mazda6s Dec 7, 2002 11:55pm
    I've noticed that also. The traffic isn't there in the volume you would expect it to be. This was a precursor to that I think.
    revka "Mazda 6 Hatchback" Jan 21, 2002 9:48am
    and
    brekke "Mazda 6 Hatchback - Your opinions?" Nov 12, 2001 10:30am
    Notice how many posts in a month? They closed it. Let's hope the traffic picks up. Or maybe not, for us bargain hunters. Anony didn't say head to the Accord forum the start conflict, only to see that there are many more "I GOT ONE!!!" posts there since day one. In fact there were people arguing(there that aggressiveness) over whether people REALLY had one before the official introduction.
    I'm still planning on buying a 6. I have to have a 5 door. I've been wanting one for a long time and no one seems to send em over here.
    As far as not buying a Honda because it's a Honda...Well I guess if that floats your boat then it's your "water". But couldn't the same be said about the 6 when someone says they won't buy one because of the Ford influence. And there is a lot more justification to that decision.
    As far as looks. What's so different about the Mazda? It's a three box sedan. Honda/Toyota built those in the late 80's early 90's. It's not that diferent. In fact the only thing that makes it different is that no one builds em any more.
  • Options
    bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    461 6's sold in November. Not sure how many days they were on sale for or what the invetory was like.
  • Options
    john: I feel the same way you do. I like the LED gauges that come with the sport package but I could do without the spoiler. I think the way a certain brand builds cars is better than having several different option packages to choose from. I prefer the either you want basic stuff, some stuff, or all the stuff approach.

To show how confused Mazda is we test drove a white 6i 5-speed with the black interior from the sport package and a silver loaded 5-speed with option combinations that Mazda says will not be available til January. You would think that since it arrived fairly late in the year they would've had all this stuff sorted out.
  • Options
    stretchsjestretchsje Member Posts: 700
    Someone needs to sort this out for me. I'm getting conflicting information from dealers.

Can you order a Mazda? I want a red 6i MT with ABS only, which is a package that should have just went into production. A dealer told me that unlike most domestics, I had to be flexible, because they can only pick 6's from a huge list after they've been built. They said they can trade with other dealerships, but they cannot put an order in to the factory. Thus, I may not be able to get an option or color, particularly because I want a hard-to-find manual tranny.

Well, I've been waiting for ABS and/or the sport package to become available without all the junk I don't want or need. Now that I should be able to order a 6i w/ ABS, I want to. But can I? I will not budge from these options, because adding anything to a 6i MT will bump me up (through package groupings) over $3000, and I really like the red. If I had known I wouldn't be able to get ABS, I'd have bought already. With less than 10 6i MT's within 100 miles of my house, it sounds like I'll have to order the car to get what I want.

Another dealer, I should mention, said that if I put a down payment on a car, they'd put a priority on it at the factory. It's a "special program" Mazda has.

I'm being fed so much B.S. my eyes are turning brown, but by who?
  • Options
    Our dealer told us that you could order one and it would take about 8 weeks. We didn't go into whether it was a special order or whether they were just going to find one like we wanted.
  • Options
    doying5doying5 Member Posts: 83
    Stretchsje,

When Mazda began rolling out cars on the assembly line they were building them with a variety of options and packages. Then in an effort to streamline production they set parameters on how a car could be built.
    Limiting the variety of ways a car can be produced will speed up assembly time and more importantly decrease the possiblities of errors.

If you want to order a 6i with ABS you would have to get all the packages. (I am writing from home so I don't have the specifics). It would probably be cheaper to get the 6s MT. Then the 2500 extra would actually give you ABS, Traction control, Alloy wheels, Climate control and of course the V6.

There are however, some cars out there right now that were made prior to the new build parameters.
    That is why I think many are confused on how you can outfit them. For instance we had a 6s with Leather and Comfort Package but now you have to get the moonroof too. You might want to do a little searching to see if you can find what you are looking for.

For the first few months the dealers are basically picking through a list of built vehicles available in our area. I believe it is sometime this month (possibly next) when we will actually be able to place an order to build.

Someone else mentioned yesterday that Mazda would be holding off shipping cars until sales pick up.
    Actually Mazda was holding off on the media blitz until cars arrived. We had to have 900 in the midwest region to start the real advertizing. It started this weekend.

The educated consumers like yourselves were the only people that knew this car existed.
    Don't hold your breath too long for those rebates. It took the new Tribute over a year to even get 4.9%. Supply and demand will dictate. Like you, I am anxious to see how this all plays out.
  • Options
    sparky52tsparky52t Member Posts: 13
    "I find it amusing that people in here find it necessary to try and bash my decision to buy a Honda."
    Well gee, whad ja expect? It's a Mazda site for crying out loud! Try talking up a Mazda in the Honda site and I suspect you'll get a similar response.

"It is a better value right now there's no denying it."
    "Value" is in the eye of the beholder. Isn't that half the fun of talking about cars? You have to wonder what some people were thinking when they put money down on some of the goofy vehicles you see driving around! (And I'm not talking Hondas or Mazdas here.)

Accords and Camrys are nice cars but their manufacturers are on top of the heap, sales wise, and therefore hesitant to mess with the formula that got them there. When you're like Mazda and at the bottom of the market share heap you've got to think aggressively and take a lot of risks to stand apart from the pack. I think the 6 reflects that thinking...

But your Accord's nice too.
  • Options
    diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    "When you're like Mazda and at the bottom of the market share heap you've got to think aggressively and take a lot of risks to stand apart from the pack. I think the 6 reflects that thinking..."

And if history repeats itself, Mazda will grow to be like Toyota and Honda...then what happens?
  • Options
    sparky52tsparky52t Member Posts: 13
    Then Mazda will be fat and conservative like Honda and Toyota... Then another automobile company somewhere in the world will offer up the next best thing on 4 wheels and we, the buying public, will have something else to blab about. :o)
  • Options
    stretchsjestretchsje Member Posts: 700
    Thanks for the response. The 6i MT w/ ABS only is one of those predetermined packages being produced this month, though, according to Mazda's PR dept. If they don't make a red one, then you've answered my question. I'm SOL for a while :-)

If Mazda keeps me waiting long enough, maybe I'll end up with the hatch! (only to be plagued with the same availability problems)
  • Options
    Once Mazda is up there, you only have Mitsubishi, Subaru, Hyundai, Kia, Isuzu (?) to cheer for. That's some slim pickings...
  • Options
    I'm talking strictly on a money standpoint this time. The car I just bought was just straight up cheaper dollar for dollar. That's the value I'm referring to. Im sure we all behold money pretty much the same way or we'd be in the Bentley forum.
    Well except for those that won't buy a Honda because it's a Honda. Those folks are special.
  • Options
    and the folks who won't buy anything else but a Honda because nothing else is a Honda. Those folk, too, are special.
  • Options
    I currently have a Lexus too. Last year I bought a Protege, and the year before that a 300ZX Turbo. I buy what I want.
    What I really want is a 5 door and generous financing and rebates. I'm sure they are coming.
  • Options
    Put me down for one of those hatches (or maybe even a FWD wagon) too! But I want Sirius as a FACTORY option.

Wonder when (or even IF) that will happen!
  • Options
    groovypippingroovypippin Member Posts: 264
    Not a problem for us. The car is still 4-6 weeks away and we just closed a deal for 60 M6's to a local, independent rental car company.

We deliver them in March. Should make for a busy couple of days around the dealership.

As for your run of the mill, one at a time kinda deals, we're feeling confident given the level of customer interest in the vehicle so far - although we certainly wish we were getting the 5-door and especially the wagon. Interest in the wagon has been remarkable.
  • Options
    if they are already being sold to rental companies. That drives resale down if they do that in significant numbers and might be part of the demise of the 626. Sure hasn't helped the Taurus. But at least I know if I need a rental car I'll be able to drive a decent car.

It still seems that few people are buying these and there aren't really alot of other forums talking about the 6. Just alot of posts among us addicts who chatter away about nothing for 50 posts or so. You guys are like a dysfunctional family brought together at Thanksgiving.
  • Options
    dysfuntional? Who, us?

:)
  • Options
    What do u mean dysfunctional?

Dinu
  • Options
    dysfunctional: impaired or abnormal functioning

Does that clarify anything? :):) :

disclaimer: All reference to members being dysfunctional is done in pure jest and should not be taken seriously. If it is, then I plead insanity (I did buy a Honda you know).
  • Options
    glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    Everyone is informative, purist in nature, seamless in their quest for automotive freedom, excitement, and personal self expression.

Then "They" arrive. Bringing with them all their stored frustration. We should embrace them in the holiday spirit. After all, we did just gather after Thanksgiving, no?

Others may enjoy bashing us for their perceived notions of our automotive choice, but we know the truth.

As we enter the corner in a slight drift , we grab a gear, make a slight correction and apply power. We know what we have, and what the future is. Connecting with an automobile is a visceral experience, something to be absorbed by every sense.

So let's be festive and wish them a happy holiday season. May someone leave them a larger trunk in the 07 redesign!

Santa.
  • Options
    I mean Santa :)

Dinu
  • Options
    But check the detailing. Looks like a Mazda 6 with edges.

http://thehollywoodextra.com/acura/acura.html
  • Options
    joqjoq Member Posts: 8
    Just got my new Car and Driver and saw that the Mazda 6 was selected as one of the 10 Best.
  • Options
    capitanocapitano Member Posts: 509
    That TSX doesn't look to shabby, though I could do without the wood trim stuff. I still don't get why that is considered upscale.

I see one of the pics has a automatic shifter in it. I am guessing that the TSX will be like the TL and only offer an auto even on the type s. That takes it off of my list.
  • Options
    But will be only available in 4 cylinder versions.

I disagree with you Fowler. I feel the 6 looks just like what is. A nice family sedan. Very little ornamentation on the one piece front end. Very little on the sides. The interior in very BMWish in it's presentation. Upmarket would include more trim pieces around the car in my opinion.

It is a very nice sports sedan though. It's just that I don't think what will shake up today's market is more "sport" considering what rules the market these days. It's not very economical.
  • Options
    jwiser1jwiser1 Member Posts: 9
    It's a dressed up Cavalier. Mazda really missed the mark on that sucker. It will be relegated to rental company service very soon.
  • Options
    Neither Americans nor Canadians buy cars based primarily on exterior design. (The best evidence of that lies in the Honda Accord, Toyota Camry and Chevrolet Impala) Something tells me that you are going to have to eat those "dressed up Cavalier" words soon! :)
  • Options
    But what do they buy the cars based on? And what does the Mazda have that will change the status quo?
  • Options
    mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    According to the mazdausa web site there are two ways to get the 6i-MT with ABS that don't involved "all the other options". You can get it with just ABS/TCS, or Premium + ABS/TCS + SAB/SAC (my choice, BTW). This agrees with the emails that many of us received regarding the new February availability. And the info from your dealer that said you can't order one is BS. They just want you to buy one they have in stock or coming in. This is a common saleperson trick that is so old I'm surprized they still try it on people. But don't get me started about car dealer tricks!

doying - You should check your facts. You do not have to get "all the other options" to get ABS on the 6i-MT. There are two ways to do it, as I described above.
  • Options
    I really hate to burst you bubble, but Honda sells cars to rental companies too, so the fact that Mazda is selling to them is really not too significant. In fact, from a marketing point of view it's a good thing, because it gets more people familiar with the car.
  • Options
    wolverine_xwolverine_x Member Posts: 54
    ..And how many Accords are they selling to rental fleets again. Say, compared to the 626 percentage wise?

Really hate to burst your bubble too but if you are going to make a comment like that, substantiate it with facts, please.

No,it isnt good for a car to be a rental mainstay. There are better ways to get popular apart from being a regular rental car, like being reliable, maybe- But I am sure that Mazda 6 will not suffer at all even if its sales are mostly rentals because they are supposed to be the best thing since Viagra. LOL

• Options
    cars to cab companies. I was surprised to find Honda Accord taxis in San Francisco a couple years ago. Did that cause problems for Honda? I don't think so. They are more reliable than Impalas.

You want a real culture shock go to Germany and see lines of Mercedes-Benz taxis on city streets. They are painted a muddy brown color. And we think of MB as ultra luxury.

capitano said: I could do without the wood trim stuff. I still don't get why that is considered upscale.

It started with those Brit cars, Rolls and Bently, having wood trim, supposedly luxurious. Wood trim provides a visual break from swathes of leather and painted steel. We don't think of cars being elegant carriages, but the novelty has been carried over for those who think it is worth the expense -- even in plastic. Commoners get faux titanium and aluminum from the 1920s and 1930s when machined metal was used on dashes.

fowler3
  • Options
    I didn't say anything about percentages of sales to rental fleets because don't know them. Do you? All I said is that Honda sells to rental companies, which is a fact. I think we can safely assume that selling a large percentage of a model's production to rental fleets can lower resale values for that model. However, I suspect the large percentage of 626 sales to rental fleets was a symptom of it's failure, not a cause.

BTW, I have heard a rumor that in a scientific survey it was found that most Accord buyers think the Accord is actually BETTER (and more reliable) than Viagra. LOL
  • Options
    >>Upmarket would include more trim pieces around the car in my opinion.<<

Like chrome around the windows? Thankfully Mazda didn't use that on the 6, BUT, they do offer a "chrome finishing" kit -- door guard strips and in the rear a chrome strip for the trunk lid, probably above the license plate. Last thing the 6 needs!

fowler3
  • Options
    yugoboyyugoboy Member Posts: 161
    I couldn't agree with you any more, i think chrome around the window is the most disturbing visual piece a car manufacturer can add to the exterior of a car!!! Chrome kills, it is so distracting to the eye, honda refuses to do away with the tacky chrome!!!! The only place you should see chrome on a car is on the front and rear symbol!!!!
  • Options
    wolverine_xwolverine_x Member Posts: 54
    yeah, because that's the only place you see chrome in the 6, right? I wonder if you would say the same if the 6 also used chrome on the windows.

By the way, have you bought your 6 already? You have been here since ages blabbing about the 6 and bashing the Accord but you are like many of the people here who just get contented by talking without actually owning one. I know, two or three here already are proud owners but interestingly, they do not seem to be bashing the accord in order to justify their purchase for the 6. While you, my friend, bashes the accord, but you do not even actually own either one, do you? Or plan to buy one. You just take pleasure in bashing the Accord.

There are people here who actually are planning to buy the 6, and they are here because they need to hear the good things about it without

even exaggerating. Just the facts. If all you could provide is subjective comments, then you are not helping us.

Give yourself some usability here and make a choice to buy or even plan to buy then after that you can trample on the accord all you want. By then maybe we would believe that the 6 is actually a better buy. But until then, you are just a "babble-mouth" without really anything substantial to contribute.

PS. Why do you always have to use exclamation marks in your sentences. It's the same as yelling... And I thought you knew that already.

• Options
    Around the capital city of Paris, the taxis were Mercedes-Benz E-classes. I don't know about fowler's muddy brown colored ones in Germany, but these Mercedes were regular silver ones. But that's only around Paris. The smaller towns and villages use Renault taxis.
  • Options
    at least not to rental car companies

http://www.autopacific.com/press/010203I.html

About 2 years ago I read an article that stated that Honda was then selling 2% to fleets but they were going to reduce that number because of the bad image it can create. That's probably one of the reasons it enjoys high resale value even when compared to the Camry and the Passat (which sells in much smaller numbers). Honda will not deal directly with rental car companies. Any rental company who wants a Honda as a rental car has to negotiate with the dealer.

I am an admitted Honda fanatic but I am an informed Honda fanatic so any Honda-isms I spout are usually true.

• Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Since they were selling about 2% to fleets and the Honda transmission failures were running at about 2% ...do you think they could be related?
  • Options
    doying5doying5 Member Posts: 83
    Fowler3 said...

"The performance package doesn't do a thing, it's for looks, and subjective at that."

Actually some technical tidbits for you.
    The Sport Package on the Mazda6 provides functional as well as aesthetic benefits. The body parts on the sport package, namely the front fascia and rear spoiler, reduce aerodynamic lift by a significant amount (between 22 - 34%), which improves the feeling of stability and precision steering at freeway speeds. Unlike other manufactures, our engineers were paying attention on this one. It is not just for show.

They don't put these items on Formula cars for show either.

Just thought you'd like to know.