Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!

Lexus SC 430

Comments

• squidd99squidd99 Posts: 288
    You're welcome.

I have noticed that I'm starting to actually like the smell; each day I can take more and more of it.

But I can stop anytime.
  • jbradbjbradb Posts: 39
    Anyone leasing? What residual? How much are payments? Many thanks.
  • jimxojimxo Posts: 423
    The first are engines with Turbo's, the second are convertibles. What complaints do you have with this car? Has there been any problems that would make you not buy this car again?

TIA
    I don't know why you are afraid of turbos (or turbo's, as you call them) or convertibles. You must get over this fear. We are here to help you.

I have had two Audi 5000 turbos, and each ran fine for over 75,000 but less than 100,000 miles before I sold them. They were great fun. I do know that if the maker just bolts a turbo to a standard engine and does not alter the engine to handle the extra heat and speed, then the turbo will just tear the engine apart prematurely. For this reason, a turbo version should cost at least $5,000 more than the same car without the turbo, and probably more. For example, pistons need to be stronger, the ignition system needs to be different, and the cooling system (electric water pump)should continue to run for about 5 minutes after the car is shut off.

If the turbo is built right, it should run great for its normal useful life. Turbos will die, however, at about 100,000 miles, if not before. The heat and speed will just eat them up, and this is a normal happening and the cost of replacing a turbo should be considered as a part of the upkeep of the car. It will not last as long as the engine, and owners who do not know this can get upset, but an honest salesman will let you know if you ask. (He probably won't volunteer this.)

As for convertibles, my SC430 is my first, and I could not be happier. I have always wanted one, but never liked the rag tops, and never found one I wanted to buy as much as the SC430. I had some concern about the complexity of the top mechanism, but I have had a SC400 for 10 years with no problems at all, and my friend who has a MB SLK reports no problems with his top after 3 years or so.

I have no complaints with this car, and would gladly buy another.

Life is too short not to live it up a little.
  • sluglineslugline Posts: 391
    For anyone else that saw last night's episode: Was that an SC430 being wheeled around by Willows? If so, it was a nice product placement for Lexus.
    I'm not sure who Willows is, but I'll check the Tivo in the morning and see.

It might be a nice product placement, but if Willows is one of the CSI team, it's kind of a pricey vehicle for a municipal employee.
  • tmarttmart Spring, TXPosts: 1,349
    Yes, it was a 430, but Willows didn't own it. Was owned by the guy in the passenger seat. Tmart
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 3,297
    Just FYI: I recently bought a (what else?) '02 RX300 for the evil wife. While I take advantage of the free car washes at the dealer, I oft wander the warehouse. Last visit, they had 20 SC430s. White, black, silver and a couple of Indigo blue. All nice colors. I believe at least 2-3 had sold tags. This does seem like a fairly decent in stock supply.
    While I find the overall styling a little bulbous, I think the biggest styling affront are the wheels (pie plates!). But, styling is subjective and there are certainly much more horrifically styled vehicles out there (e.g.Aztek, as if it even needs a mention, Caddy CTS & Eldorado, Chevy Monte Carlo...)
    Evil wife loves the RX.

'13 Jaguar XF, possibly my favorite of all the cars I've owned. But, my '09 Jag XK was a beauty, as was my '05 Acura TL, '88 Acura Integra, '84 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo & '78 VW Scirocco (my first!). And, of course, the '92 Nissan Sentra SE-R and '95 Saab 900s I bought for the ex... Ok, I like a lot of the cars in my life.

You think your wife is evil . . . my ex used to meet weekly with Satin for lessons on how to be more evil.

I don't know what she charged him, though.
    I finally watched the CSI episode mentioned above, and the SC430 played a fairly big role.

First, it's owned by a "millionaire real estate developer," and Willows (the CSI babe who drives it for most of the show) calls it a "sports car." Most of the time the characters refer to it as "the Lexus."

After the perp escapes at the end, he gets picked up again by the same cop who stopped him at the beginning of the show, who explains to Willows that the "SC430" (mentioned clearly by name) is an unusual and beautiful car that I don't see every day, so when I see the same one twice in two days, I remember, especially when it's speeding, so he stopped the guy -- happy ending.

Yes, a great product placement and praise for the Lexus "sports car" but no one ever put the top down, no one explained why a guy with enough taste to buy an SC430 would also buy that giant Cadillac SUV, and no one explained why this guy who everyone admits was as clever and as smart as they come, after making the perfect escape with a million in cash, was dumb enough to stay in a conspicuous car AND SPEED. But the hour was almost up, and we can't let him get away with murder, even if he does have cool wheels.

By the way, the car was silver with black interior, and photographed pretty well.
  • "no one explained why a guy with enough taste to buy an SC430 would also buy that giant Cadillac SUV,"

lol...explains everything.
  • toyotas1toyotas1 Posts: 134
    Is the new 2003 Benz SL worth $25k more than the SC430? True it handles more like a sports car and has some additional computer hardware, but $85-90K? They are both beautiful to me, and both EQUALLY prestigious! So what do you think? Read this month's Road & Track and let me no (Both 0-60 in 6.1-2 seconds.)
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Nothing made in all of Japan is as prestigious as a Mercedes-Benz. Let alone a SC430.
    The SL costs more and gives you way more, it's not much of a contest.

M
  • hvan3hvan3 Posts: 630
    Lexus is a poor man's car, while MB is for the true enthusiasts with $$$.
  • Until Lexus fixes their suspension/tire problems, go with the Mercedes
  • badtoybadtoy Posts: 368
    gee, those remarks were predictable!

As for the wheels, I was working for Toyota when the SC430 first came out, and Jim Press, the CEO of Toyota USA, was driving one right past me one day. I emailed him about how good he looked in it, and he said, "Yeah -- but it needs some hot wheels."

Amen.

The chromies in the previous post look great. I've seen a couple of different aftermarket wheels on them, and most aren't successful. The stylnig of the car demands something smooth and substantial looking.

And to state the obvious -- I'd take one over an SL any day. But not once the new one comes out -- it's beeYOOOOOtiful. Much more rakish than the current version (which has always been one of my wife's favorite cars, by the way).

I honestly didn't like the looks of the car when I saw the pre-production models in magazines, but it's grown on me. Thankfully, they're still rare enough (at least in Arcadia) that they still loko fresh to me.

Sure would be nice to have a real back seat, too....
  • Pleasantly surprised with handling, but disappointed with acceleration. Car seemed electronically retarded from a dead stop..shut off ECS and went to power and it improved, but not greatly. Also questioned the logic of the shifter..seems they don't want you running gears from 1st. Either drive in in "D" or 2 thru 4 or forget it. Personally doubt the car I drove was capable of anything near 6 seconds 0 to 60. Anyone figure out how to get the horses and torque to the wheels. If you change out the run flats can you still get a golf bag in the trunk with a spare and the top down?
    I've had a SC430 since May, and it takes off like a rocket. Faster even than my old SC400. It is not retarded, at all; I think there was probably something with the car you drove. This is the first time I have ever heard this complaint.

The shifter pattern took me almost no time to get accustomed to. Any change is new at first; don't write this off from a brief first encounter. Besides, you don't really use the shifter all that much, but when you want to shift down for engine braking on a hill, the shifts are clear and easy. No problem.

With a spare in the trunk and the top down, the golf clubs will have to go in the back seat. That's the major if not the only reason for the run flats. I have had no trouble there so far.

The car is easy and fun to drive, and draws attention wherever you go. And it is a rocket.
  • hvan3hvan3 Posts: 630
    It hurts my eyes everytime I see that ugly black beetle! I keep staring at it not because I like the car, it's because I hate it so much. Go figure.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 3,297
    I look forward to the day when I can consider myself poor enough to drive a $60k+ car!

'13 Jaguar XF, possibly my favorite of all the cars I've owned. But, my '09 Jag XK was a beauty, as was my '05 Acura TL, '88 Acura Integra, '84 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo & '78 VW Scirocco (my first!). And, of course, the '92 Nissan Sentra SE-R and '95 Saab 900s I bought for the ex... Ok, I like a lot of the cars in my life.

• Perhaps there was something wrong with the demo as in retrospect it seems impossible to floor a 300 HP car from a stop light with all the controls shut down and not spin the wheels. On the other hand the 430 CLK cab is also dead on it's feet for the first 20 yards. I'm convinced they dumb them down electronically to avoid undue twisting of the frame in the cabs. Two other question, if you will, hows the wind factor with the top down. Noticed they've secured the rear seat belts and I'm a little suspicious about the effectivness of that little plastic wind breaker. I'm in a CLK with the big bulky wind screen that for all it's inconvenience does work well. Night and day driving with it in and out. Have you driven an SC w/o the runflats?
    The wind factor with the top down is great. The car was designed for this. You can converse with your passenger or easily listen to the radio even at 60 MPH. I've gone over 100 with the top down and it's a treat.

Don't be "suspicious about the effectiveness" of the little plastic wind breaker. It's all aerodynamic and tested by people smarter than us, and it works fine, although I have not taken it out to see if there is any difference. If the Lexus engineers put it there, that's good enough for me.

They put little straps in the rear "seat" to secure the belts because, I read, one of the few complaints made in early, pre-sale testing, was that they would make noise when you picked up speed with the top down. I think that they are elegant and effective, and since I don't have many people riding back there, it's no problem.

I've seen those CLK's and BMW's with the big windbreaker behind the front seat, and think they look pretty dumb, but they are probably necessary because of the large back seat area. My observation is that the high window line and the windshield shape and rake contribute to such a thing as unnecessary in the SC430. But you'd really have to ask Lexus why it's that way. I find that whatever they did works very well, and that's good enough for me.

Finally, I did test drive a dealer's car without the run flats, and then immediately test drove one with the run flats. There's not a big difference except that a solid bump in the road is not absorbed as much by the run flats due to their harder side walls, but this is rare. I've driven this car through 6 or 7 states on two vacations so far, and have no complaints.

Everything's a trade off, but you can trust the engineering decisions made by Lexus. These guys can put together a swell car.
  • For what it's worth in the wind noise dept. there's a huge difference in the CLK with the deflector on or off and my last car was a 911 with a hinged deflector.Push that sucker down at 70MPH, your hair folded over your eyes and you couldn't hear yourself think. Wouldn't think these minor appearing items could make such a difference.
    If I spring for the SC I'll insist that the dealer send you a piece of the commission, you've been real helpful. I actually prefer the CLK style, handling and every day performance to the SC, slightly, but am not pleased with the quality of construction. There's almost always something acting funny on mine and my friend's 2000 model is in the dealers driveway more often than his. My wife's Lexus seldom sees the shop and when it does we're usually pleased with the service.
    Glad I could help.

I had been looking at convertibles for some time, and one of the major reasons I went for the Lexus SC430 was my prior experience with Lexus service (I had a SC400 for almost 10 years, and other family and friends own various Lexus cars.) Nobody ever seems to have anything bad to say about Lexus service. First of all, you hardly ever need any. My SC400 was far and away the most reliable car I have ever had.

And when I did need service, mostly scheduled services at 15K, 30K, 60K, etc. they could not have been nicer. I have never been treated so well by a dealer anywhere. The service is a little on the expensive side, but that is to be expected.

I stayed away from MB because I have heard just the opposite regarding service. Many complaint about the extraordinary high prices, and my impression is that MB reliability is down from what it used to be. These are good cars, and I have friends who have SLK and CLK convertibles, and I do not prefer either of them to the SC430.

Get the black one.
  • I also noted the lack of accelerator response and asked the service guys about it. They were quite familiar with it and said that it was there by design. I have gotten used to it although I would prefer a little quicker response.
    The wind, when driving at speed, is about the same as other cars with the deflector up. But, it's so much more convenient to have the deflector permanently mounted.
    I recommend buying a car without the runflats if possible. You can always leave the spare at home when you need the space. The combination of runflat tires and 18" wheels leaves the ride too harsh. You don't notice this on short test drives, but after a couple of long trips, you feel beaten-up.
    JOEYB1:

You must be driving some rough roads. I've had my car with the runflats on several long trips and, although I notice a harsher ride than in an SC400 or in an LS, I certainly do not mind it.

I, for one, would certainly not want to remove the spare tire every time I wanted to go to the grocery store with the top down.

All of these factors are trade-offs, but I feel that the runflats are an excellent compromise. They also help the car corner like a rat in a snakehole.

Nothing but fun.
  • Does anyone know if Lexus is planning to make L-tuned accessories for the Lexus sc430? Does anyone know if there is software management to have the rear quarter windows drop prior to the top lowering as on the Benz SLK? Does anyone know if there is any panorama roof applicable to the sc4430 like the new Benz SL will have? Has anyone used 17" wheels for winter driving successfully?
    Thanks
  • Thought I'd contribute to conversation for a change, so I did some DD on the acceleration issue by reading some test results, reviews and making a couple of calls. I'm now about 75% sure Lexus dumbed the low end performance down electronically as I belive MB does with the CLK cabs. Lexus and MB both deny it, but if you stomp a CLK or 430 GS coupe from a dead start the effect is much better than the respective cabs. True there's a bit more weight to the converts, but the loss of tourqe feels disproportionate to the weight difference.
    After reading about six reviews, it SEEMED five reviewers never really timed the car on a track. There's an inference they did but nothing concrete. Road and Track, I believe, said flat out they ran the car and their 0 to 60 was 6.8 secs with a 1/4 mile in the high 15's. Lexus specs 5.9 seconds and 14's for the qtr I think. The other reviewers either used the Lexus spec + or - a few 10ths. Although MB denies retarding the CLK cab, the do spec it as nearly a second slower than the coupe 0 to 60..5.9 versus 6.8. Has anyone actually ran their SC on a track? The car "feels" more like 6.8, but that could be the relative smoothness of Lexus versus MB. And by the way, nearly everyone I know with a newer MB is gripping about frequency of repairs, especially at the 60,000 mile mark when the warrenty runs out! They're also generally unhappy with their dealers and MB's response to their complaints. I've found a good dealer but have to travel 40 miles out of my way to use them. A friend who has never driven anything but BENZ junked his long time dealer for mine and just bought his first Toyota!
    Where are you going that you are in such a hurry?

Even for an important date, I don't mind if I arrive .8 seconds late.
  • ccotenjccotenj Posts: 610
    are the cabs geared differently?

-Chris
This discussion has been closed.