Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Camry Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• countspaceycountspacey Member Posts: 1
    I'm in Boston. I'm helping my mother in law choose a Camry and dealer in the Sarasota area. They are quoting her $23,000 with her 14YO Volvo 9000 in good condition-more or less). The dealer she spoke with has offered her $2,000 as a trade-in.
    Here are my 3 questions:
    1. What's the expectable BS from dealer's end, and what are they generally willing to come down on 2004 new models?
    I think we missed the $1500 rebate that I believe ended 6/30.
    2. What's with these phantom fees Admin $575
    Del, Proc and Hndlng?? $565

Base $22,295 $19,840
    Options $704 $542
    Del, Proc & Hndlg $565 $565
    Admin $575

Total $23,564 $21,522

3. Could it be to my advantage to negotiate for her from up here in Boston--take the pressure off of her?
  • walletwallet Member Posts: 38
    I got my Camry LE Auto last week, with mats for $15,990. I thought it was a pretty good deal, an ad price but I bought it Friday afternoon (they had 25 on sale). With an extended service plan (oil changes and tire rotations for 4yr 48kmi), and tax + fees, I paid about $17,900 out the door. Got silver too. However this week I saw ad Solara v6 SEs for 18k, should have waited! :P
  • bernie3bernie3 Member Posts: 48
    That's an excellent price. It's an LE and not a standard, right? (Standard doesn't have keyless remote). This was an advertised price? Did you notice if they were already selling the 2005's? Sounds like and excellent price. I assume the service package you bought was optional and not a condition of the sale? Good job! Who was the dealer?
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Great job! I am hearing a lot of fire-sale/advertisement prices, as I think that dealers didnt really believe they'd be getting the 2005s in as soon as they are. Plenty of Toyota's Certified Used Camrys of the 2002 vintage sell for the $15,990 that you paid for yours, at least in my area, so you got a great deal, IMO. In fact, carsdirect.com shows your Camry selling for $17,900 before TTL!

In terms of the 2004s, is truly a buyers market, and you capitalized on it. Even 2004 Honda Accord LXs are being advertised in my area for about $16,900 (also about $17,900 on carsdirect.com), so basically, people have the opportunity to buy the best mainstream sedans on the market at incredible prices.

It will be interesting to see how long Toyota can maintain a price position on the 2005 Camrys- ie... no incentives. Hopefully the incentives will stabilize; although they are hardly out of hand, it would be nice if the Standard model's availability could help restore resale value to the formerly very high levels. (Resale on Camrys is no longer what it used to be, but still better than most of the class, save the Accord and Altima)

~alpha
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    That is absolutely unbelievable. My father's 92 Camry was more expensive than that. He paid 16.1G's + TTD. What gives. I hope Toyota isn't sacrificing quality to keep prices low.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Price sounds really good, but they could have made up some of the discount with the extended service package. What about undervalued trade-ins and marked-up financing etc.?
  • slrommelslrommel Member Posts: 4
    This past weekend my wife and I purchased a 2004 Camry XLE with leather, and were able to negotiate a price below invoice. The vehicle was a 2004 Camry XLE with the premium package, side-curtain airbags, heated seats, floor mats, etc. and the purchase price before tax and tags was $22900 (this did NOT include the $1000 rebate-- the price after the rebate was $21900). We shopped at 2 dealerships and had vastly different experiences.

At the first dealership we went, among other things, when we were negotiating, we were pointed to an article on the wall completely bashing Hondas (we had told the salesman that we were also considering an Accord). The article pointed to a known problem with CRVs where the engine on several cars caught on fire, and the article stated that Honda had no plans for a recall. The Toyota salesman described this as "Hondas are exploding. In fact, about a month ago one of them parked on our lot and exploded! There were fire engines and everything out here!" My wife and I had to really keep it in and not laugh. The article did not have a reference as to a newspaper name. Furthermore, the dealer tried to trick us several times to learn information in casual conversation (what kind of car are you driving today/how many miles does it have, where do you live?). The dealer had their inventory available online, so we shocked the dealer by asking him which VIN we had just looked at, and pulling up a printout with a listing on the car. We also asked to see invoice prices. We tried to talk about a price just above invoice by about 2 percent. They balked at it, and countered with a price much higher saying "we need to make a profit". We motioned to leave, and suddenly their price came down. They soon had a price close to invoice (by about $200). We again balked and said we had to leave. We pointed out that they still had DEALER HOLDBACK that they were not releasing. As we were walking out, the manager offered us a price written on the back of a business card $300 below invoice (BEFORE rebate). They said they were having a "high volume" weekend and really needed to move the 2004 cars. So, they were willing to cut into their holdback. We left with the card, and quickly wrote the vehicle's VIN down. We didn't want to deal with them because they were so unprofessional. However, we now had an ace in the hole for another dealership. By the way, we were told that "no other dealerships in town had an XLE in stock." Nonsense, as you could clearly see the inventories of two other dealerships online (in fact we had them with us when we shopped, but never told the other dealer).

The second dealership we looked at was much better. Everything about it was. There were no pressure sales tactics, weakly veiled gimmicks to trick you into releasing information to give them a leg up on you, etc. They were straight up professional. We test drove a car we were more interested in (no moonroof, more preferable color, etc.). We then asked to only talk in terms of invoice, and brought out a spreadsheet we'd prepared directly out of the options spelled out by Edmunds. It was very helpful to figure out exactly what the dealer profits were. We showed them the business card from the other dealership and gave them the VIN of the other car. The grumbled, but took it. Then, we said "oh-by the way--we might be interested in trading in our car." They grumbled again, but ultimately looked at my old car and offered an additional $600 (reasonable by blue book standards). This brought the price down to $22300 (before rebate). We took the offer.

But, the story is not done. The other dealership called later that day. My wife told them that we had made a purchase with the other guys. Rather than ask what went wrong, the dealer asked "What if I could get the same car for you for $500 less?" He seemed to miss the point that the deal was closed!
  • netspecnetspec Member Posts: 5
    Which dealer provided this gem of a deal?
  • crvexcrvex Member Posts: 23
    i got one from world toyota atlanta, ga for 16.9k out of the door. auto but without abs and sideairbag. i like the price but the financial guy was really impatient (10pm already though) and only give me 5.9% apr over 5 year. was i get ripped of by that? they also have a rule says i can only refinance that car after 90 days?! should i redo the whole today again?
    please help out.
  • sbonarsbonar Member Posts: 6
    This past weekend I purchased a 04 Camry LE Automatic from Sandy Springs in Atlanta for 16.4K out the door (this does not include taxes and title since I live in Alabama).
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Was this the one they were advertising for 15,788 (LE Auto no other options)? Was the difference in your Out the Door price the doc fees or something else? Did it have any options?
    Just wondering if anyone has bought a 2005 LE yet? Reports from the south & east in these Camry forums say they've started arriving on the lots. A dealer in Santa Rosa, CA (60 miles north of S.F.) told me they expect them by mid to late August... quoted me an internet price of $18,355 -- automatic, no options. (Basically invoice + destination fee). Decent price but not great IMO. California pioneered the Japanese car market... strange that they're slow in getting the new model. Maybe that's because most(?) of them come from Kentucky or somewhere instead of Japan.
  • sbonarsbonar Member Posts: 6
    16.4K was cash out-the-door, (this price does not include title and taxes since I will register the car in Alabama). It is a base automatic LE (silver) with floor maps as the only option. There was no trade-in.
    Sounds good. Hertzcarsales sells their used 2004s with about 27K miles for $15,500 in most areas. They might have a couple more options than just mats and automatic transmission though (maybe ABS at least).
    If the Hertz rentals don't have any more options, then they are not a good buy when you could get a new one for $16,400.
    I just purchased the Camry LE 4 cylinder, automatic base model with only the floormats from Toyota of El Cajon. The base price was $16447 including destination. The OTD was 18051, which includes only TTL.

The buying experience was awesome. I kept waiting for the hard sales pitch and hidden charges to appear, but it never happened. The finance lady tried to add on alarm ($500), sealant and protectant for exterior and interior($200 each), and extended warranty(7yr/75K for $1668) but I declined it all. She was a little miffed, but other than that it was totally great.

I got there around noon and was done by 2 or so, and this includes time to look for specific color and a long test drive. This is the way to buy a new car...I highly reccomend it. (It was great but also a little sad to see some of the other customers battling the slick salesmen. "OK let me go back and see if my manager can go a little lower." "How much can you afford to pay each month?")
  • henry7henry7 Member Posts: 15
    I'm going to get the Camry 2005 SE phantom gray probably very soon. Do you know the invoice price for these car ? I'm a costco member (southern California) and when I use their website and use member services option and then select new cars, they tell you what dealer to go to and the contact name in order to get COSTCO price for you, which it's Invoice price+$100 less rebates if any. So I want to make sure they gave me the right number , they said : 23047 +fee&lic. Are they really on the price or should I go with another dealer closer to my home and negotiate to get a better deal ? I'm planning in trading in my Honda accord 2003 DX with 12500 miles on it for around $13,100 based on the kelley blue book ( I owe 17,000 ) so I have to put down the difference. What do you think ?
    I'm going to get the Camry 2005 SE phantom gray probably very soon. Do you know the invoice price for these car ? I'm a costco member (southern California) and when I use their website and use member services option and then select new cars, they tell you what dealer to go to and the contact name in order to get COSTCO price for you, which it's Invoice price+$100 less rebates if any. So I want to make sure they gave me the right number , they said : 23047 +fee&lic. Are they really on the price or should I go with another dealer closer to my home and negotiate to get a better deal ? I'm planning in trading in my Honda accord 2003 DX with 12500 miles on it for around $13,100 based on the kelley blue book ( I owe 17,000 ) so I have to put down the difference. What do you think ?
    How do you still owe $17K on a 2003 Accord "DX!"
    I traded in a kia sephia with some negative value and they added it to the accord. :'(
  • bostonoriolebostonoriole Member Posts: 53
    I just paid $13,888 for a Camry base, manual ahift, without a full size spare or keyless entry. Is that a good price? It seemed good to me.
  • rampedramped Member Posts: 358
    What do I think?

That you are making a mistake, unless you have plenty of disposable income to waste on new cars. Hang onto your Honda at least until you are not upside down.

Why the rush on the 05 Camry SE? Right now, you will pay top dollar for the car since it is brand new.

You can save thousands by waiting a year or so to make this deal. That is my advice.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I fully agree with ramped! Why are you getting rid of the Accord? Also, be careful of the edmunds.com software glitch that will repost your original entry if you hit "Refresh". Certainly not a problem, we've all done it, but its something to keep in mind going forward.

~alpha
  • camry05camry05 Member Posts: 4
    Bought a 2005 Camry LE AUTO with floormats/cargo net, in the color of silver, for $16,925 + TTL, in Southern California. A little bit more than what the 2004 Camry LE AUTO are being sold for, but satisfied with the deal. OTD price was $18,500.
  • sortersorter Member Posts: 146
    It is just as good as Camry. you are not planing to sell your 05 Camry and get a 06 TSX, then a 07 IS, are you? Of course, that is your own choice.
  • hank2hank2 Member Posts: 76
    I've found that COSTCO is not always the low cost leader as far as Camrys. Lots of quotes on this site (Maybe camry05 will tell you his dealer) got a lower price by going through the Web.

On the other hand, I agree with the concensus, that it may be most cost effective to hold on to your 2003 Honda Accord DX and pay it down, rather than continue the trend of tacking on negative value....

-hank2
    Thanks. i'll keep my accord :-)
  • bostonoriolebostonoriole Member Posts: 53
    Is a extended warranty worth it for a new Camry? My first reaction is , if they want to sell it, it must be better for them than for the customer.
    Its good if you want piece of mind, I guess. It is also a good deal for them. I was offered an extension to 7yr/75K for $1668 by dealer. I found what seems to be a much better deal at another website that I linked to from edmunds...without breaking the rules I will say it was warrantydirect. They offer 7 yr/100K for $922. I have no idea how the details of the two plans vary.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Hi borstonoriole. You are right in one sense - overall, the warranty companies come out ahead, because more people use less of the service than it cost them. However, if you're one of the folks who has an expensive problem outside of the factory warranty period, you will come out ahead of the warranty company, financially speaking.

So yes, they do come out the financial winner over the customer in a broad sense, but the question of whether or not it's right for you depends on your personal financial situation, your level of concern about future repair costs, and your willingness to gamble on the reliability of the vehicle. You might visit our Extended Warranties discussion for more information to help you decide.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

It is a "gamble" either way. Not only if you don't take the warranty.
    If you do take the warranty, you are gambling that you are throwing the money away and never using the service or using the service less than you prepaid into it or that the company will be shady and try to get out of paying claims you do submit.
  • hank2hank2 Member Posts: 76
    One more comment from the peanut gallery. According to other posts here on other boards (I don't recall specifics), you are NOT required to buy the extended warranty at the time of purchase. In fact, it looks like you can get a better deal, if you just search around on these forums.

But,from what I've read here, you can extend your warranty at any time during the current, standard warranty period. And you can purchase the warranty from Hawaii (if that is cheaper) and use it in Minnesota ... so to speak.

Of course the goal of the salespeople is to get as much of your money as possible...

FWIW,

-hank2
  • carmidcarmid Member Posts: 5
    Has anybody bought an 04 LE AT in northern virginia lately? My best quote so far is $17,500/-out of the door.

Thanks
  • poepoe Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

the dealed told me the extended warranty for 6yrs/100K/0 is $1297. I checked toyota website, the MSRP is $1300. It seems I bought it with the highest price, can this price be different in different toyota dealers? I should negotiate the price? And may I cancel the warranty if I think the price is too hight?

thanks
  • yzf1973yzf1973 Member Posts: 1
    Fruto,
     I am also in MD and willing to buy a 2004 Camry LE by this weekend. Can you please tell me how did you get this OTD price? From the internet price of 355 toyota, the cheapest I get is $16289, plus TTD it will be more than $17400, not including the AB option you got. It will be highly appreciated if you can tell me more about your deal. Thanks. My email yzf1973@yahoo.com.
  • runner1runner1 Member Posts: 1
    I got the deal from private party, the car is 1.5 years normal wear. what do you think the price?
    I don't get it... A dealer sold an '05 LE for $1,000 under invoice? Why do you think you got such a deal, since they're still trying to sell '04s? Who was the dealer? I'll buy one at that price!
  • sean3sean3 Member Posts: 158
    Am I weird for likeing the style of the 02+camry? i am 26 my fiance thinks im weird for liking such a sedate sedan, but there is something i like of the styling of the new camry? i cant pinpoint it, but its something..does anybody know what im talking about?!my fiance and frinds think im weird for thinking about getting one being 26&think they look like boring older folks car? help What is it about the styling i like? thanks
    an 04? 13k doenst even buy a corolla?please let me know was that the actual cash price or did you have a trade? thanks
    How are you people getting 05 camry's let alone 04's for 16,55-19,000.for a
    Le 4cyl auto remote? the basic le's with abs 04 camry's at local dealership are going for no less than 19,900 what gives?
  • camry05camry05 Member Posts: 4
    I got it from the fleet/internet deparment at Toyota of Oxnard (ask for Matt). Short story - I actually wanted to get an '04 to take advantage of the rebate/financing, but they didn't have one in the color I wanted. They had an '05 that had about 90miles on it, I checked the car...looked good, and bought it. I had checked with over a dozen dealers in the LA area and this dealership had the best offer (no gimmicks). When I bought the car, Matt was offering $1700 off on any car on his lot (whether its an '04 or '05). It was a painless experience. Hope this helps!
    You did very well, indeed. Congratulations! And thanks for sharing the name of the dealer. I started researching a Camry LE about 3 weeks ago and was focusing on the '04 until I learned the '05s were coming out. The best quote I got for an '04 LE auto, w/no added options was $16,888 and that included the $1,000 rebate. Probably the fact yours had 90 miles on it helped. Best quote I have for an '05 is about $18,500 +TTL. I live in Eureka and have been checking bay area pricing...SoCal seems to have better pricing.
  • joecarnutjoecarnut Member Posts: 215
    I've received quotes from ontario and lancaster that was OTD 18,303.00 on a 2004 LE w/auto. Hopefully I can get some more off those initial internet price quotes. So you might try them.
    Joe