Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

CR-V vs Escape

Comments

• Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    is a good choice if you want a station wagon..
    The standard 4cyl is "weak".. to upgrade to a turbo is spendy $$... Plus, you have to wonder just how long the turbo will last, how long will the engine last ?...
    How did the Forester get into this room??
  • Options
    My Yoko's came in today! I decided on some 235/70R16 Yoko Geolanders HT-S G51. After much resarch these seem to fit my needs the best. I have them installed today at 2pm along with a 4wheel alignment on my Escape. Cannot wait to feel the difference. I have been told these are a much, much quieter tire than the present Continentals. Plus my stopping distance and my handling will improve.
  • Options
    drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    Driven the vehicle? Or do you just generalize about all 4 cylinders?
  • Options
    arizonajoearizonajoe Member Posts: 123
    But scape, the Yokahamas are made in Japan. Whatever happened to supporting the American worker? Do you suddenly care about quality?
  • Options
    I assume those new tires are not OEM spec in terms of size. I don't think handling and braking are improved by moving away from OEM. I could be wrong. I know plenty of people plus size. I stay with the OEM size when I change tires.
  • Options
    Wrong! Yoko's are made in the USA! LOL! You don't get my whole buy U.S made products demand U.S. services obviously.. I don't care if it is Japanese, Korean, Russian, Honduran, whatever. I just make sure the tires are made here in the U.S. by U.S. workers. I feel really good I kept my money here in the U.S. and keeping an American employed. Did you??
  • Options
    I did not change the size of my tires. They are the factory size of 235x70R16. What a huge difference in noise on the highway. I can honestly feel the difference in road feel and handling of my Escape, it is a vast improvement over the Continentals. Tires make a difference Escape owners. If you have the money dump the Continentals and go with a higher quality tire.
    The dealer I bought them from said I had done my homework well when I asked him about the Yokohama, Michellen tires I had decided on. Michellens are a great tire but they want too much money for them when comparing. Not worth the extra $120 to me.
    Funny thing to I was going to have an alignment done and the tech told me there was no need. My Escape checked out just fine for alignment. So, I am now almost ready for winter. I am waiting for someone to have an advertisement for anti-freeze flush/fill.
  • Options
    The majority of Hondas sold in the US are made right here by US workers. But I remember somebody saying that didn't matter. The money still goes back to Japan.

I know where the money I spend on Yokohama tires go even if they were made in the US. I guess someone ignores that fact when it benefits them. The term for that starts with a "hy" and ends with a "ite".
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You can buy some of Honda Motor on the NYSE (HMC) and you too can be an owner of the company.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Still don't get it..
    As a matter of fact, I work for a Japanese company. The fact is an American worker made the product. The American is working, paying taxes and has medical benefits. Your CRV is made in Japan, and England. This has minimal benefit to the American economy. You again forget I owned a Honda. When I went to purchase the Honda I made sure it was one made here in the U.S., NOT Japan.. Get it yet??
  • Options
    muxamuxa Member Posts: 16
    This is my first entery into this forum.I myself own a suzuki xl-7 and my wife owns a 2004 crv,and i can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that the quality control on cars produced in japaneese plants is much higher than on the same companies cars produced in the united states plants.As far as who makes a over all better product Ford or Honda this is really a no brainer.Hondas over all reputation for quality speaks for its self.I just hope that none of the big three ever buys a piece of Honda and ruins it for the rest of us.Example isuzu/GM.
  • Options
    I get it. As I said someone changes their tune to suit their needs. Someone said be a good American and don't buy Japanese because the money goes back to Japan.

Now someone says its ok to buy Japanese as long as the product was made by Americans.

Someone needs to get their jingoistic argument straight and stick with it.

Someone also needs to stop posting about a potential problem with a vehicle that they don't own and have no business commenting on. The only reason they do it is to get a dig in. And this apparently is allowed here.
  • Options
    kizhekizhe Member Posts: 242
    Most parts of "American made cars" are manufactured abroad. Mr. Lee Iococa was a hypocrite, when he was preaching "buy American", knowing all too well how many Chrysler's parts were made overseas.
  • Options
    How can you claim Honda has more quality when the CRV has almost as many recalls as the Ford Escape? Now there are questions about engine fires on the CRV. What about the first year of the Odessy? it was a nightmare for Honda, yet is still won best mini-van?? And the recalls on the Civic? and what about the transmission issues with both the Honda Accord and Odessey? Yep, Honda quality.. Its all smoke and mirrors..
  • Options
    I have always said drive, and you know it. Buy U.S. made products. Many feel this means, buy Ford/GM or whichever. I just proved to you. I bought Yokohama tires. These have it right on the tire "MADE IN THE USA". I stuck by my new way of thinking. I will keep my money here in the U.S. whenever I possibly can. I kept an Americna employed. Did you? NO.. just live with it. Next time you get laid off or a friend or a family memember maybe you'll start thinking differntly..
    As far as my posting in other rooms about CRv fires. I remember someone also getting jab after jab when the Escape had its recall issues in its first year of production.. Fact is there is a problem and Honda is trying to cover it up. Why doesn't the Civic or Accord catch fire after oil changes??
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    And this apparently is allowed here.

We have no requirement that allows only owners of a given vehicle to participate in a discussion about that vehicle.

tidester, host
  • Options
    snowmansnowman Member Posts: 540
    know the meaning of "Global Economy" in this forum? Or you still read the same Economics-101, published 20 years ago.
    I strongly believe this Made in America discussion is pointless.
  • Options
    I didn't know that owning a CRV is a requirement for me to lurke here and post...
  • Options
    I try to be cryptic so I am not accused of attacking someone but I guess people just don't get it.

Hosts: That is not true. You banned someone from the boards because they deliberately went out of their way to post a derogatory comment about a vehicle they did not own. Now whether you feel the comments are derogatory is your call. I sure know they are.

snowman: I am referring to scape2 going to a message board about Honda CR-V fires. I'm not talking about posting here. Understand now??

I don't go to the Escape board and say that Ford better get their act together about the poor braking on the '05 Escape or they will be out of business like scape does about the CR-V. But again that seems acceptable. I think I will do it and then I will count the seconds before I get that email saying I am in violation of Town Hall rules.
  • Options
    You change your tune to suit your needs. Plain and simple. On several occasions you talked about the evil Japanese companies taking all our money, etc. Well you just contributed to it. LOL.
  • Options
    laissez faire laissez passe...
    LOL
    I agree in a sense. But, many other Honda owners, also, do the same thing in different forums.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hosts: That is not true. ...

In any kind of a comparison topic (as well as most others) there will be both critics and supporters of various vehicles. There's a difference between spamming, trolling and disruption on the one hand and valid criticism on the other. When the threshold is crossed the user will hear about it.

In any event, it has never been a requirement that a poster own a vehicle before offering comments and questions.

tidester, host
  • Options
    I'v got an idea...
    Why doesn't Edmunds open a discussion forum so users can express themselves about Edmunds.com
    Don't you guys wonder what we think about this site? Would you like to hear from us so you can get + and - criticism and improve the site etc...
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Most comments and criticisms wind up posted in Ask the Town Hall Hosts, although site specific questions are best asked in Our Software! Your Questions Answered....

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Why the heck Honda installed the shifter on the dash board?
  • Options
    Was it there since 2002?
  • Options
    icvciicvci Member Posts: 1,031
    Where would you have them put it, the roof?
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Why the heck Honda installed the shifter on the dash board? "

To allow pass through walking from the front seats to the rear seats. Same reason there is a fold down table instead of a console. Some people like it, some don't...
  • Options
    Muffler coulda been better place...
  • Options
    What about steering column?
  • Options
    You really need to use shifter twice: at start and at the end of a drive. Why then to put shifter in the most busy and useful place - between front seats? Just for the looks?
    Same thing about parking brake. I appreciated Honda's approach to it and it played a PART in my decision to buy CR-V.
    And the shelf between the seats is very convenient too.
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    What is the difference between having it mounted on the steering column versus the dash next to the steering column? The lever is in the same place.

Personally, I like the design for the Element and Civic Si. The shifter is on the dash, but in the center without a "hump" between the seats. It's right there where your hand needs to go. Perfect for a manual tranny.
  • Options
    Are we talking about shifter for automatic tranny or manual?
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    In the case of the Element, both. With the CR-V, the auto is mounted on the dash by the steering column. The manual is on the floor.
  • Options
    it looked strange to me. May be I am not used to it. It kinda reminds me GM's Pontiac line...
  • Options
    Personally, I don't have an opinion one way or the other, column or dash that is. I wouldn't want it on the floor though.
  • Options
    Pointless how? please explain how keeping your job, keeping an Americans job, is pointless??
  • Options
    C'mon drive, when the Escape had its problem its first year you were all over this yourself. Trashing the heck out of Ford, the Escape/Trib.. You have some serious double standards. Fact is the CRV is having engine fires. Honda is trying its best to cover it up, hide it, sweep it under the carpet, whatever you want to call it. The CRV has also had other recalls that I still find people around the internet know nothing about. I just point them in the right direction and give them a little education. Honda can no longer hide its problems with sites like Edmunds and other internet chat rooms.
  • Options
    The other morning on the way to work a guy in an Element attempted to race me.. I know we are all supposed to be adults here.. He started it, I finished it.. He was way over confident in his Element.
  • Options
    Scape and his conspiracy theories...

So now the NHTSA is working for Honda? Riiiiiight... What part of "under investigation" don't you understand?

I'm not saying something isn't wrong, (although I believe there isn't). I'm saying Honda is working to find out what the exact cause is ALONG WITH the NHTSA and bunches of lawyers.

ALL HONDA TSBs ARE AVAILABLE AT WWW.NHTSA.COM

Give it a rest.
  • Options
    That's a real knee slapper.
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    Pretty stupid; the Element isn't designed for rapid acceleration, especially against a V6 engine... Then again, someone like that may not have known how to make full use of the I-VTEC technology anyway...
  • Options
    It is pointless because it is very difficult to see a Made in USA goods any more. Despite of it, whatever you buy (regardless of the origin of the goods or services), USA is benefiting. International trade is two way street. USA buys things from the world (row material, finished goods and services) and USA sells things to the world. If you don't buy, you wont' be able to sell.
    Have you ever thought that, may be the Yokohoma tires you bought allowed US to sell a jet engine to Singapore.
    So my point is, don't worry about the made in China toaster or made in Brazil shoes. Worry about how you can discipline US government and Corporate America; one spends tax payer’s money like drunken sailor and the other one sucks the blood out of hard working Americans.
  • Options
    Honda is asking $900 for alloy wheels...:-(
    I just priced a 05 CRV LX FWD, came out 21K with freight.Top of the line is around 25K, holly cow!
    I4 engine for 25K...
  • Options
    I guess I have to ask why you believe there is nothing wrong? Your blind loyalty is dangerous. Go to Alldata.com and Honda refuses any TSB's to this site. Honda only releases TSB's when it sees fit. Not all the TSB's are on the NHTSA site. I have already gone over this with you. I have a manager friend at a Honda dealership remember?? Honda is tight lipped my friend, this is how they get thier stellar reliability record. Fact is the internet is Honda's worst nighmare, they can't stop rooms like this or others around the internet. As much as you want to intimidate (julia from the CRV fire chat room for example) or put down people that have had their CRV catch on fire.. not going to work. The CRV has issues and as long as the pressure continues from the public this issues will not die. Honda needs to step up and answer the public questions. Why don't the Civic and Accord or Odessey have engine fires??
  • Options
    Don't get me started.. too late already have. EVERY job counts here in the U.S. We are all tied together. I don't work, I don't buy the services or products you sell. Yes, it matters whether it is made here in the U.S. I have change my ways. I buy U.S. made products and services only when I can. The Yokohamas I bought are made in the U.S.A. I spent time on the research and they are stamped MADE IN THE U.S.A. Besides.. Your jet engines will soon be made in China my friend. Boeing just built a huge plant outside of I believe Shanghia, China.. nice try though. I have friends that have been laid off by Boeing because of "out sourcing to cheaper labor markets". Jobs matter, they generate taxes for governments, local and federal. Many of my friends and family have started to take the same approach I am and they too are spreading the word and have run into others that feel the way I do. I will support my fellow American. Put me down if you wish. But when your on the unemployment line or your position has been outsourced or you know someone who has been outsourced, you will see what I mean.
  • Options
    Whoa!! wait a minute.. Drive62 claims a Honda CRV EX AWD can be had for $20,500. I have been trying for months to get a dealership name and number but he can't cough it up. Mazda is advertising in my area a Tribute for $17,777, 5 to choose from. They come with the new 2.3, air, CD, ABS, power windows/locks and cruise/tilt wheel, AND ALLOY Wheels!!.. Tell me Honda is less than Mazda or Ford.. I don't think so.. This is why your resale for CRV's better be higher you pay more for CRV's!
  • Options
    I agree with you most of the part but you are still missing the point or don't want to understand it. If this is the case then it is not my job to make you understand..

Seeing a Made in The USA stamp doesn't mean anything. Main ingridient for a tire is rubber and it is imported from Asia. So your Yoko tires have foreign components, US is paying fees to Yoko corporation to manufacture these tires here.

However, before I move on, I need to tell you couple more things. Hyundai has a plant in Alabama. Your "your fellow" Americans are working there, not Koreans. The same for CRV (I believe, it is in Ohio, or Toyota in Kentucky).

Now, it is OK for you to buy Yoko tires but it is not OK for you to buy CRV or Hyundai. Huh...!

Current administration is not doing anyhting for outsourcing. I agree that this is very dangerous trend...

BTW, jet engines thing was just an example, don't try to focus on explanatory examples much.
  • Options
    "ALL HONDA TSBs ARE AVAILABLE AT WWW.NHTSA.COM"

this is not quite correct. You can see SOME of them with only title and summery sections. Main body is kept by Honda.
  • Options
    muxamuxa Member Posts: 16
    Dont worry about buying products made by forieghn companies most of them are made by American workers here in the states.You should be more concerned about buying Ford,GM,and chrysler products who open up plants in Mexico and other third world countries that take thousands of American jobs away.