Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Kia Sorento

Comments

• Options
    steve_onsteve_on Member Posts: 70
    I like the Sorento, but the gas mileage puts me off a bit, I do ~20K miles a year.

Anyone on what sort of mileage you are getting? My daily trip is 50 miles one way, 90 percent freeway (70 MPH+) with maybe 10 percent getting to freeway and driving at slower speeds but without stop and go. What sort of mileage could I expecte
  • Options
    hecnyhecny Member Posts: 29
    Well finally,the wait is over. We picked up the Diamond Silver EX 4x4 yesterday. Good thing the salesman decided to check the pressure in the tires, they were all at around 47 PSI. He lowered them all to 32. The vehicle drove home very nicely. Getting plenty of looks.
  • Options
    mikesfmikesf Member Posts: 84
    I calculated I'm getting around 18 mpg. Less if I use the car starter too soon. Remember you have a 6 in there. You have to mentally prepare to visit the gas station more often than if you were to get a CRV or a RAV.
  • Options
    Congrats on the Diamond Silver! (personally my favorite color) ;)
  • Options
    wandam1wandam1 Member Posts: 13
    You paid $23,504 great price you don't mention if that's for the 2wd or 4wd. What dealership did you go to.
  • Options
    wandam1wandam1 Member Posts: 13
    What did you pay for yours the diamond silver color is gorgeous. Did the salesman say anything about the 3% hike come Jan 2003. Can you tell me where you made your purchase. Thanks.
  • Options
    mwitt58714mwitt58714 Member Posts: 44
    can you tell me where and what kind of car starter you put in your kia sorento..did u get it in circuit city...best buy... can you mention where you bought it im interested in installing one...but they said you could not???
    and wandam if you want to email mwitt58714@aol.com im at the jersey shore ill let you know what dealer... does the antena come off for the car wash and is it safe to go into one with bug screen on the hood...
  • Options
    I paid 24K at Manfredi Auto Group in Staten Island. They didn't mention anything about a 3% hike come January, but I've seen other folks mention it in previous postings.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    When did you pick it up?? I was down there visiting Mark yesterday around 1:00pm! Too bad I missed you.

-mike
  • Options
    surfmastersurfmaster Member Posts: 11
    mikesf : thanks, I am very happy with it so far (1 week, 400 km). It is, unfortunately, already covered in road salt now, and needs a wash. How have you found it in terms of paint and underbody protection? Are you planning on oil spray or some other under body protection? I crawled around underneath the truck this weekend, looks like some sort of black undercoating, but already some visible surface rust "stains" on rear axle suspension components (dampers?) ...sigh...

And the wheel wells are plastic only..no future rust problems but I hope they keep the spray/slush/rain out of the interior

Loyalone : without getting into details, my invoice records the sale at MSRP, but my sale involved a 1999 trade-in which reflected any negotiated wiggle room rather than the new vehicle price. I was happy with the trade in value I got, leaving the Sorento EX at list (33795 plus delivery I believe). I did manage to get a Reese Class III (5000) hitch and receiver put on for free.

Seems there still isn't too much room on price up here yet compared to some discounting south of border. Two Kia dealers I talked with both mentioned the smaller than average markup on the entire Kia line, including something around $1500 on the Sorento . A lot less than, what, say about 4 or 5 thousand on the GM trio, Ford Exploder, etc ??
  • Options
    loyaloneloyalone Member Posts: 9
    Thanks Surfmaster. That's about what I've been told as well from the dealer in my area. The sales manager offered the same as you - to negotiate a better price for my trade in. He did suggest he could deal on an ex they are using as a demo, but the wife is sure on the colour.
  • Options
    Here's the car starter alarm (with pager) I installed in my Sorento.

http://www.compustar.org

Wonderful!

• Options
    hciaffahciaffa Member Posts: 454
    Has any one tried to find a alarm system compatable to be used with the Sorento. Right now I have gone to two places here in Ct. both sell electronics and neither would attempt to install one in the Sorento. To new and the key fob would not be compatible because of the rear window hatch button.
    As far as washing the Sorento I prefer to use a brushless type. No brushes or cloth will touch the finish on our Sorento. Running the Sorento through the was two fold, get the salt off and check for leaks at the window, hatch and sunroof. Glad to note that everything was bone dry. I would not reccomend going thru a power washer with brushes, they have been known to damage and rip off the bug deflectors same for the blowers at these places. Ripped the one on our Forester right off. Also Speaking of deflectors those that have them what do you think. The Kia one is ok but prefer on that didn't have all those clips and screws. Vent Shade is going to come out with one in the summer. Also working on a part number for the running boards or step rails tht were seen in the accesories posting #1254.
  • Options
    I got my Sorento end of September so I had time to crawl around underneath and check out the protection. While I found it adequate I got a couple of cans of undercoating and sprayed some areas to add more protection. I'm not going for rust treatment since the oil they use plays havoc on the rubber components (happened to me on my SAAB). I simply wash her at one of those do-it-yourself places a couple of times a week. I really just clean off the guck that accumulates both on the body and underside. I know how you feel about the road salt :-( I couldn't take it yesterday and went to wash the Sorento yesterday and cleaned most of the grime off despite the temperature diving down to -28 Celsius (with windchill) last night.
  • Options
    see my previous post. The Compustar is not only a car starter but alarm rolled in to one. The gentleman at Autoland, the local Canadian distributer, who installed it took pictures of the installation to serve as a reference for other resellers. Somewhere out there on the Net my Sorento's skivvies are showing :0
  • Options
    fitwrightfitwright Member Posts: 6
    I heard from one dealership that the price would be going up, if I can recall, 1.3-1.6%. I actually saw the memo that Kia sent out. That was supposed to take place January 1st. We should find out soon enough. The Sorento EX that I purchased last Friday night was in Braintree, MA at Quirk Kia. I spent about 2 hours trying to get the deal I wanted. The Sorento I purchased was with the automatic 4 wheel drive. The only options that it didn't have was the rear spoiler and the auto load leveling. I am really thinking of getting a bumper/grille guard and side step rails. Anyone have any suggestions. When shopping for my new vehicle I checked out the Saturn VUE. An option for the VUE was the side step bars and front grille guard. They were very attractive and not so grandiose like others out there. The brushed aluminum would be a nice match to the brushed aluminum features of the Sorento EX. Has this annoyed anybody else. When scanning stations with the stearing wheel buttons, you can scan stations going up but not going back down. If you miss a station the first time you have to go all the way through again. Just a small gripe. All in all, pound for pound I think I (we) got the best deal out there. Happy driving.
  • Options
    schip1schip1 Member Posts: 97
    From a very reliable source, I have confirmation of a price increase for the Sorento. This is a direct quote from a KIA Corporate memo: "...the introductory pricing of the Sorento will be increased by 1.8% effective January 1, 2002. Details will follow separately."

From the same memo, "...Kia Motors Corporation senior executives have confirmed plans to expand the Kia product line in the United States, with the introduction of a large sedan, code named GH."

I'm waiting for info regarding inventory and pricing of the running boards. Not surprisingly, these accessories are so new that the Parts departments don't have any details yet.
  • Options
    anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope everyone was OK.

Congrats on your new Sorento!

Can't wait to see some pictures of that thing in the mud!

Also interested in mpg figures.
  • Options
    I guess your experience with VW and consumer reports shows how credible they are, although I heard somewhere here on Edmunds that the VW's dropped in ratings recently, based on bad experiences.

Hopefully, Kia will prove itself with the Sorento.
  • Options
    jrdowneyjrdowney Member Posts: 96
    Individual cases, both good and bad are not what determine the ratings. You might have even owned a Chevy and had great reliability (not too likely, though!). What matters is the statistical numbers for many vehicles. CR has a long track record of success in rating vehicles. That's why it will be some time before we can comment with any accuracy on the reliability of the Sorento.

By the way, I loved the guy who posted earlier about purchasing with no research, test drive, haggling or anything. A dealer's dream!
  • Options
    Paisan,

I picked it up Saturday. I was there from 11 in the morning till about 6. They installed an alarm and preped it for me. So far, so good. Mark and the rest of the crew were great. The stereo system is awsome. I'm still getting used to driving it. I had only driven cars before this, so the turns are a bit different. I don't want to go too fast on a turn, but on straight always it is very smooth and has plenty of power. The suspension is softer than I thought it would be. But, that's not a negative, I am really enjoying it. I have Explorer's and Trail Blazers pulling up to me all the time wondering what the vehicle is. The fit and finish are excellent. It is one beautiful truck.
  • Options
    tee333tee333 Member Posts: 20
    would like to know price and vehicle description,
    4x2 or 4x4, luxury package, spoiler etc. i'm also from queens and need a honest dealer if 1 exist.

please help
  • Options
    mwitt58714mwitt58714 Member Posts: 44
    well i finally got my manuals now its time to read.. people on the open highway it sails right to 80 and so does the gas ...lol but normally i take back roads to work...im only 16 miles from work so i guess my mileage will vary until i take it on a trip...
  • Options
    23,250 for sorento ex 4x2 with luxury package,rear spoiler, lifetime free inspection.
    Would like to know what your guys think?

hecny would like your feedback.
  • Options
    tee333, that looks like it's $1,055 below MSRP, which is good. Do it before someone else buys YOUR Sorento :) Don't forget about the pending 1.8% price increase.
  • Options
    Ex 4x4, no luxury or spoiler,24K. Looks like you got a very good quote for the 4x2 with extras. Go for it!!!

Who's the dealer? Northern Blvd?
  • Options
    yes, N.Blvd affiliated with chrysler-jeep. 2 weeks
    of haggling. advertising fees include, got tire of
    the haggle. hoping 4 a free cargo tray.
  • Options
    dimitriedimitrie Member Posts: 7
    N. Blvd, who helped you Saiful? Took care of me also, make sure they give you a full tank, mine wasnt. I never checked to look, was to excited...
    also check cd player mine did not work, but was replaced and sounds great..
  • Options
    first name ray, has a funny accent,decent human being for a salesman. still have to wait 3 weeks.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info on the Compustar. I am more interested in a alarm system. Questions for you..did you have to get a separate key fob for the starter and the alarm, or does the alarm work off the Kia fob? Still out shopping around. Here in Connecticut there isn't to much out there for an alarm system just yet but I'm sure there will be soon. My dealer is checking with Kia to see if the alarms system that they use for the other Kias is compatible to the Sorento.
    he is also trying to track down part numbers for the running boards or step rails.
  • Options
    nrooksnrooks Member Posts: 5
    I am going to pick up my Silver EX 2wd (no extras) this afternoon. I got it for $21,995 before taxes and tags which I think is pretty good. I would actually like to remove the wood trim on the dash if possible. It just looks too fake to me. In any case, since its a kit/insert, I'm wondering if anyone knows if this is possible without messing up the dash. Thanks!
  • Options
    bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    Saiful is good... he sold me my 2000 Subaru Impreza RS. I was going to deal with him for the Sorento but I'm getting my wife a Subaru Outback Limited. Waited for him on the #'s for the Subaru but he fell off! So, I went with someone else.

We'll wait to see how the Sorento does, which I know will be good. But I couldn't finance right now, and the lease sucks with Kia, so I had to look elsewhere.

It is a nice truck though... I'm sure you'll have fun in it. :-)
  • Options
    bodhranbodhran Member Posts: 2
    Love the look of Sorento. Can't convince my family/friends about the KIA thing. I say they wouldn't give that kind of warranty if they didn't think it was worth it. Any input? Thanks!
  • Options
    stockeystockey Member Posts: 40
    Don't worry with Kia,i have a one year old Sedona,and it's been a great and reliable vehicule so far.
  • Options
    lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    I just picked up my fully loaded (I mean everything except accessories) Sorento last night. I love it. It has almost everything as some other luxury SUVs. I couldn't drive my Accord at night because the headlights are broke due to the accident. I asked my salesman to pick me up from my house. He drove my Sorento. I don't mind because it's only 2 or 3 miles away. Then he drove me back to the dealer to sign some papers, state inspection and full tank of gas. Anyway, the car ride the same way as the LX and another EX. I do feel bump when hitting a potholes and on uneven road surface. Is it the same feel for some other cars? Or is it because this is a truck? The auto climate and the heated seat run very quick and warm. I didn't check the tire pressure but I got no vibration at all. They properly checked it. I still can't figure out where are the buttons for wiper de-icer, rear wiper and AMP (or something like that). I usually don't read owner's manual for things look simply to operate. Do I have to tune in the overhead multi-meter? The compass looks accurate. In addition, I also noticed the followings (also found in previous posting) that I have press the remote "Unlock" once for driver door and twice for all doors. And I can unlock the driver door by pulling the door handle from inside. I think all doors should be locked when I turn the key to "On" position. Maybe I am wrong, but the steering wheel audio control has no volume control or for disc and radio station change. The 12V power outlet in the front console seem tight. It's properly difficult to plug it the radar, cell phone & vacuum. Overall, it is good SUV. And I can't wait to see a big snow here. Still waiting the rubber mats from WeatherTech or other companies.
  • Options
    But the Compustar is an alarm system and a darn good one I might add. It comes with a pager unit that alerts you depending on the type of alarm that has gone off: 1st stage for a minor disturbance and 2nd stage for a major disturbance. I set the sensitivity to quite high so even something like tapping the window will give me a first stage warning.
    The system worked straight out of the box with the Sorento. I don't know what you mean by key fob. Let me know, I'll be more than happy to answer your questions.

BTW, I don't work for Compustar or any resellers (I'm in the Telecommunications industry + military). I just think it's a great product.

Cheers!
  • Options
    "Maybe I am wrong, but the steering wheel audio control has no volume control or for disc and radio station change."

What else is there?
  • Options
    I agree. The matt looking wood trims doesn't look real to me. Maybe it is not real. But polished wood trims will look much better even it is plastic. It is properly preventing from scratches as well. For the in-dash 6-disc CD changer, the disc will stop playing when loading CDs. I don't know if this is the way for other in-dash 6-disc CD changer in the market. Anyway, 1.8% price increase is about $433 more for a Sorento EX 4WD with $24100 price tag. The dealer and posters said 3%. Kia shouldn't increase the price so soon when the supplies is not quite match the demands. What do they think?
  • Options
    bodhran, when you have time, it may be worthwhile to scroll back and read some of the many postings on this subject. I don't think anyone can summarize, in one new post, the opinions expressed by scores of people since February of this year. There are pros & cons, of course, but I think, on the whole, you'll find that especially since this is a pro-Sorento forum, the outlook is very positive.

Good luck with your research.
  • Options
    1. There are 3 buttons for the front defroster, all on the center console. Specific locations described in your owner's manual or in a previous posting in this forum.

2. Rear defroster is also on the center console. Rear wiper is on the right stalk.

3. The altimeter of the multi-function gauge needs to be set for sea level. Other than that, it's OK as is. But from previous postings, everyone has reported the altimeter is grossly inaccurate AND unreliable.

4. The steering wheel volume control is directly behind the 3 buttons facing you. The 'mode' button will switch you from FM1 to FM2 to AM to CD. The 'scan' button will change your radio stations, but only in the 'up' direction.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    It works on barometric pressure. The way you need to use it is as such:

Go to an airport or other "known" altitude, set to Zero. Then drive to your home, record the difference. Zero the altimeter @ your home and memorize what your "home" altitude is. Anytime you go out zero the altimeter @ home and you will know what a given altitude is relative to your home altitude.

The Limited model of the Trooper has a similar altimeter and that is how it's use was explained over on the Trooper board.

-mike
  • Options
    schip1 - The pictures on these buttons couldn't tell much. They all look the same like rear window defroster button. I think I got some negative readings (like -112 or something) from altimeter. I don't quite remember where I was at. But I'll figure it out. Also thanks for the info on steering wheel volume control. I hope anonymous02 read this too. Anyway, without the control is not a problem. I mean, I can ask for memory seats, power passenger seat, navigation system or even a more powerful engine for the Sorento. But it won't be at $25K price range. I also can't figure out where is the button for the outside temperature button. I pressed on button near the fan speed control and it showed 31F. I hope to drive my Sorento on snow and see how the T.O.D. is being used.
  • Options
    We already know that. The problem is more extensive.
  • Options
    I know what you mean. As happy as I am with our Sorento, there are times when I've thought...gee, wouldn't it be great if it also had...." But like you said, if it had all those other things, it wouldn't cost under $25,000.

The outside temp button is exactly the button you pressed, the ambient button. The owner's manual implies the outside temp feature is in the multi-gauge display, but because you have auto climate control, it's actually the AMB button.

31 F where you are, eh? Not as cold as mikesf in Montreal (-18 F), but not as toasty as we are in CA right now, 57 F :)
  • Options
    No. 31F is properly the highest temperature for the past few days here in MA. The cold temperature came early this year. I didn't even have time to put the patio furnitures back. We got 12F one or two nights ago. I think Mt. Washington has -24F few nights ago. Anyway, the Sorento warms faster. I love the heated seats. I had to turn it off after few minutes of use. Otherwise.... BTW. Is this shut off automatically?
  • Options
    I don't remember if that's mentioned in the owner's manual. Quite honestly, we haven't had to use the heated seats. I turned each of them on once, just to make sure they work, and they got uncomfortably warm very fast!
  • Options
    schip1 - I can see that in CA. Maybe it's good for couple of cools nights. I doubt this is auto shut down, also not for other cars have heated seats. When you feel hot on the bottom, you know when to turn it off. I hope this won't make the leather look old fast. Also, the CD will stop play nor pause when loading disc. (Still can't find all 10 speakers yet.) Is this a same thing on other in-dash 6-CD changer in the market?
  • Options
    lok888...Congrats on your Sorento and happy motoring, but to really enjoy the vehicle and all it's really great items I think you should read the owners manual, though we are happy to answer your questions the manual should be read especially in using th auto temp sttings. I consider myself a pretty good shadetree mechanic and I was confused on some of the great items the Sorento has. Like up on the dash there are two sensor buttons near the window. Passenger side has the auto headlight sensor. This is why schip1's lights go on and off in tunnels and he gets flipped by other drivers. There are also two in the rear view mirror. So please read the manual to fully enjoy your Sorento.
    Paisan.. to set the barometer and compass in the Sorento, the manual states to go to a large open parking lot and drive in a continous circle to set the mulitfunction overhead console. No need to go to an airport.
    GA Resident... tell your friends that if they are worried about the 10 year warranty then why did Chrysler come out with a 7 year warranty. Maybe their products are up to snuff.
    Nrooks.... the simulated wood trim is on there to stay. No way to remove it you could ruin the dash. I beleive tht it's really bonded to the dash material, something like the kits you could buy, once those are applied if you do acgood job, they are on for good.
    mikesf ... by key fob I mean the remote keyless locking device. Many alarm systems are made to work with the manufactures key fob. When you lock the vehicle you set the alarm. Right now because the Sorento has the rear hatch button on the fob there isn't any in our area that will work with it. Though I did get a response from the Best Buy store in the area that Code Alarm is coming out with a alarm shortly.
  • Options
    My dealer installed a alarm system, and integrated it to the remote keyless entry remote that came with the Sorento. He is located in Staten Island. Maybe your dealer can talk to them.
  • Options
    hciaffa makes a good point about the advantages of reading our owner's manual. However, lok888 has been visiting this forum for quite some time and has contributed to it. So I don't mind answering his questions, if I readily have the answers.

Where are the 10 speakers? Each of the 4 large door speakers is made up of 2 co-axial speakers. The two small tweeters at dash level, have one speaker each, obviously....giving a total of 10.

Can't answer your questions about if it's normal for CD to pause when a new CD is being loaded. Thus far, I've always loaded all 6 CDs at once and exchange them 6 at a time.

paisan's advice refers strictly to calibrating the altimeter. Instructions from the owner's manual, about driving around slowly 360 degrees, refers only to compass calibration after the battery has been disconnected.