Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota Crew Cab

Comments

• rlholmrlholm Member Posts: 37
    Ordered mine on 10/26, picked it up last night. It was part of the dealer's initial allocation I'm sure. See the Dakota Crew Cabs in 2000 topic for more info.
  • amend1amend1 Member Posts: 98
    jdoerr1-i too ordered on late in october-dealer has no clue about where it is or when it's being built. I don't understand how some people are getting theirs so quickly. either way, sounds like its worth the wait. maybe it takes longer on the east coast.
  • littlejuanlittlejuan Member Posts: 16
    Hello everyone,

I just got back from looking at the New Dodge Dakota Sport Quad Cab. The package was $26,000, It included a $395 market price surcharge??? Only 2 dealers in 6 have them. All were red. What a sharp truck. My wife and I believe it is better than the Nissan Crew Cab, due to size. More room for kids, dog, and other crud. I am waiting to the spring to buy. Discoiunts will come out, and prices will come down. If histroy is a good benchmark, take$2000-3000 off today's price. Good luck people
  • hennehenne Member Posts: 407
    the wait on the quad is due to a change in the rail carriers, my truck was completed on nov 2nd, it has been waiting for a train ever since, some areas were affected and some werent, i have talked to 2 guys that ordered theirs weeks after i did and they are enjoying theirs, not fair!!!!

good luck all,

robert
    When I got the estimate of my arrival date from the dealer there was a note:

***The merger of union pacific and southern pacific railroads may cause delays up to 30 days beyond the estimated arrival date.***

I'm sure that was for my dealer's area (Kellogg, ID) but other areas may be hit worse. I guess I'm lucky the dealers inital allocation of 10 included 5 open for custom orders, so mine was probably almost done when I ordered. Sorry to hear others of you have to wait. Trust me, it'll be worth it.
    Was visiting the Jeep Grand Cherokee site and noticed alot of complaints about the 4WD drivetrain--the new v8 set up. I was wondering if anyone is aware if the problems are bleeding over to the Dakota with the same drivetrain. Is the Quadra drive set up the same as what is offered in the Dakota 4WD V8?? I'm guessing that it isn't. Also, the Dakota has a much longer wheelbase. Don't want to push the panic button, but you can never be too informed!
    Also-thanks rlholm-RE the rail delay info. Could be why I'm in big time limbo with the dealer. They still don't even have a dealer spec unit for show.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    I too have been following every Jeep Grand Cherokee lead I could find before making my purchase decision.
    The Dak does not have the Quadra drive 4X4 system that the JGC offers but there is a possible trouble spot in the Dak that IS the same as the JGC.
    The so-called 4speed multispeed automatic xmission that is available with the 4.7L V8 has been a trouble spot in the JGC. However this 4.7L engine has seen ACCOLADES for its smoothness, power and designed-in reliability.
    I bought the 4.7L with the 5SP manual xmission and really like it.(xtendted cab with a cap)
  • gbilhimergbilhimer Member Posts: 53
    I am ready to order a 4x2 Quad Cab 4.7 automatic and was curious about the prices you all have paid. did you get anywhere near invoice?
    what can I expect to pay?
    what kind of delivery time am I looking at?
    bpeebles, I searched all through the Jeep groups and never found any significant amount of complaints about the new auto transmission. Did I miss something? The only reaccurring theme I saw was the "phantom rear end from behind noise", the "rear end gear whine", and and some stupid part everyone wanted for the 4wd system. Basically I became convinced the only significant complaints were related to Quadradrive and the rear-end. None of those systems are shared with the Dakota. All the transfer cases, rear-ends, etc. used on Dakota are different from my research.

gbilhimer, I paid $218 over invoice. from Dave Smith motors, Kellogg, ID. You can fly in, they pick you up, and you can drive home--no haggling. Mine was a 4.7L, auto, 4X4, Quad, SLT plus, basically loaded for ~$26,050. Search back in the "Quad Cabs in 2000" group for the details and contact info if interested. Delivery took me 4 weeks, but others are still waiting due to rail delays.
    You said yourself that you are convinced that the multisispeed xmission is reliable... and perhaps it truly is.

However... I have read about xmision fluid oosing from the dipstick tube and having an internal part replaced in several instances. (The original part was too weak thus was bending so a stronger one was installed)

Besides... the Manual xmission is MUCH more fun on the 4.7L V8 ;-)

The "stupid part" you refer to is a yoke on the driveshaft. This is a sliding coupling that allows the driveshaft to change length as the suspension system causes movement of the differential. All solid Axle/differentials have a yoke on the driveshaft to allow the suspension to operate without yanking the driveshaft out of the xmission.
    bpeeles, I'm not as convinced as I'd like to be that the transmission is trouble free, but enough to buy it anyway. I remember something about the metal part bending now that you mention it. Hadn't heard about the transmission fluid though. I really would have got a 5sp if I didn't have to deal with Seattle traffic, but decided to make due with an automatic for sanity reasons. I still drive the Maxima I passed on to my wife with 5sp and aftermarket performance suspension. Drove it the other day and felt like I was in a high performance go-cart. That will have to do for 5sp and cornering kicks.

I'm still impressed with the acceleration with the 4.7L auto. When I punch it it really takes off. Do you start in 1st when accelerating quickly? I doubt it with a 4.02 1st gear ratio. In that case, It's 3.0 v. 2.32 (auto v. manual) starting out, then 1.67 v. 1.40 for the first shift, then 1.0 v. 1.0 for the second shift. I know the torque converter comes into play, but I wounder how much different the 0-60 time really is considering the auto has a better ratio for the first 2 gears. I'll be interested when some real performance tests start coming out.

Didn't mean to appear ignorant about the "stupid part" i.e. yoke on the driveshaft. I was just being sarcastic because it's the theme of the JGC page.
    I learned a long time ago on a motorcycle to NEVER "punch it" in first gear. My 4.7L 5sp Dak is no exception. This just results in wasted wheelspin while the rear end trys to overtake the front.

I start off in either first or second gear as driving conditions dictate. I reserve the fast acceleration to straight lines and NEVER first gear. (Which is pretty low geared anyway and redline is only a few nanoseconds away)

Like you and the Maxima, I still have several motorcycles when I desire "performance" I know of no naturally aspirated automobile engines that have yet to break the 100HP/Liter barrier like my stock motorcycle (over 10 years old too!). The 4.7 Liter would have more than 470HP if this were the case :-o
    bpeebles, don't infer too much about my driving style when I say "punch it". Trust me, I'm an engineer so when I accelerate, all the gory details: static vs. dynamic friction, bearing loads at low rpms, torque, etc. go through my head. I know how to get my Maxima (and motorcycles) off the line in any weather at the point of breaking loose but without actually doing it (bad news for the friction coefficient). I was just curious if you used first gear or not. In the Maxima I shift to second pretty quickly after getting rolling for casual acceleration because 1st is geared a little low and it just feels wrong to take it to very high RPMs without much load. For maximum acceleration, though I take it to redline in 1st and then it feels fine. It sounds like 1st is so low for you it mostly just spins the wheels. Anyway, don't mean to get in a debate, just curious how you dealt with a really low 1st gear.
  • andy_jordanandy_jordan Member Posts: 764
    I believe that the Honda S2000 just took the hp/liter crown for normally aspirated engines. It kicks out 240hp with a 1997cc engine - so effectively 120hp/liter.
    120HP per liter may rule the car world but modern day motorcycles are well over that. examples?
    Kawasaki ZX9R, Yamaha YZF-R1, Suzuki Hayabusa, and any 600cc sportbike. 120 HP per liter in a car is mighty impressive and I think Honda is using some of the things it learned on bikes and we can only benefit in the long run.
  • andy_jordanandy_jordan Member Posts: 764
    Agree with you completely. I guess that we all benefit from the various developments that all the manufacturers develop, and from the competition between them.

I am not sure that I would want a 100hp per liter truck. A 470hp Dakota is a nice idea until you try and stop it in a hurry - or fill the gas tank for that matter.
  • 2000quad4me2000quad4me Member Posts: 2
    I'm going to order my Dakota Quad SLT tomorrow.
    I'm using the UBS (United Buying Service).
    All I have to do is go to the dealer they tell me to and I get the truck for $100 over invoice.
    I have talked to the dealership a few times.
    Hope it works.
  • lancelaruelancelarue Member Posts: 6
    The Dakota Quadcab was named 4x4 truck of the year
    by Four Wheeler Magazine yesterday. The following
    is a link to the page.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/press/date/19991209/press004252.html?NEWS
  • tom_hinestom_hines Member Posts: 1
    I like the Dakota quad cab, but would only buy one if I could get a cap for the bed. Does anybody make one yet?
  • mailman54mailman54 Member Posts: 111
    Tom, Leer makes a nice cap for the Quad Cab for one. I saw it in a Dakota brochure from a dealer. I have had Leer caps before and they are pretty good.

Jim
  • lancelaruelancelarue Member Posts: 6
    Leer makes one, but it is expensive ($1,300). Other companies are on the way (Raven for example) with a far more reasonable price tag ($900 or so, depending on options). www.4adodge.com has a picture of the Leer topper.
  • debralynndebralynn Member Posts: 1
    All I can say is WOW, this is the best vechicle I've been in. It can function as a car (carrys kids, dogs, packages,ect)it can tow, it can haul lumber,what can't this baby do? Not much! I love mine and I got it for 300 over invoice! I'm a happy lady!
  • antonyantony Member Posts: 46
    What engine and transmission did you get ?
  • brehlbrehl Member Posts: 1
    I suppose I'm really picky, but I like the GM feature of the headlights turning on and off by themselves. There's a sensor on the dash. Does anybody know if there's some type of after market product that achieves this?
  • tlynn1tlynn1 Member Posts: 24
    have 2k club cab 4.7 auto. the trans slips when it is cold and up to 2 to 4 miles until it is warm. from a cruse at any speed in any gear it will slip and rpm increase of about 500 rpm will result before and increase in speed is noted. any others doing this ? any answers ?
  • clawlorclawlor Member Posts: 6
    ordered my dodge dakota on 12/6. 4x2, V8 4.7L, auto, slt+, tow package. I got it for $200 over invoice, nice deal, nice truck. the dealer suggested 3.92 rear axle for towing. are there any disadvantages to having this axle ratio?
    I checked with dodge on my order. they're running about 2 to 3 weeks behind. my truck won't be started until beginning of January 2000. maybe I can cancel the 3.92 axle if needed. Please help.
  • hennehenne Member Posts: 407
    i also got the 3.92 with the 4.7 and auto tranny, i pull a big boat so i needed that axle for towing and it also makes the truck alittle quicker, but the drawback is alittle less fuel economy but were only talking about maybe 2 mpg, im averaging 15 mpg on mine and thats city and highway mixed, most engines get better after about 2000 miles and im at 800, so its looking great so far, if your gonna tow or you want alot of pep, get the 3.92.

good luck with your decision,

robert
    Would like to know if anyone else is in the same boat as me. Haven't posted anything in a while because I've been on the phone with Dodge wondering where my order is. I placed it on OCT 26. I found out later that the Quad was on restriction. Cust Serv was pretty good-as far as information goes. Then they were supposed to make it last week, but now I hear it won't be made until at least the first week in January. Probably won't get it till towards the end of January-almost 3 MONTHS after I ordered it. Bookitty-did you ever find out if there were any other reasons for the restrictions??? Possibly quality control issues-Transmissions????? I want them to make a good truck but this is getting ridiculous
    robert, thanks for the advice. I'm sticking with my original decision. just needed someone to confirm. can't wait for this truck to come in, it's driving me crazy just waiting. I have to have it by March before the inspection is due on my buick.

Is yours a 4x4 or 4x2? I didn't want to pay the extra money for the 4x4 since I need it mostly for towing a trailer. thanks again.

chris
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    As far as I could acertain, all of the restrictions were postured around the availability of vendor supply items and production limitations. As I was interested only in a 5 speed, the automatic transmission was not addressed.

Bookitty
    Bookitty-thanks for the response. I guess I'll sit tight and hold on for the ride-really anxious to get this truck. It's exactly what I want.
    I hope Dodge doesn't drop the ball on our orders!
    I ordered mine on Dec. 16th and the dealer told me 6-8 weeks, is this reasonable or should I expect a longer wait?
    I ordered a loaded 4x2 Sport with the 4.7 and the automatic.

Waiting in KC
  • bkonteachbkonteach Member Posts: 2
    I ordered a club cab 4x4, 4.7, manual, slt on November 29th. Anyone order a similar vehicle around the same time? Any news on shipment date?
    -Brad-
  • cosmo9cosmo9 Member Posts: 3
    I ordered the same vehicle on Nov. 11th.It was built the first week in Dec., left the factory on Dec. 11th. It was loaded on a railcar on the 17th.I have lost track of it due to the fact that the public can't access the Norfolk & southern R.R tracking system. Still waiting in Colorado.
  • ronboorronboor Member Posts: 3
    I ordered mine first week of November. Dealer called me Fri and said the scheduled ship date is Jan 8. : ( Said it could be sooner tho. I am having a hard time waiting now that it is snowing here in Chicago.
    My Dakota is pretty much loaded except it is the 5 spd with limited splip.
    I will call dealer on Monday to see about an update.
  • tgr1tgr1 Member Posts: 92
    Ordered mine 11/11, was shipped from factory 12/7, and arrived in local yard, 5 miles from the dealer, in Florida, via CSX rail on 12/14. Dealer still doesn't have it though! Mine has lim.slip and 3.92 rear.
  • hemi4hemi4 Member Posts: 3
    Ordered mine on 11/26 from Carlisle Dodge, Tampa,Fl. Was shipped on 12/9 and according to Dodge is sitting in the rail yard in Tampa today. Got a 4x2 Sport 4.7L, Auto, loaded. Happy Holidays
  • darmaakdarmaak Member Posts: 1
    Thanks to the post in mid November that mentioned Dave Smith Motors... After deciding that the Dakota Quad Cab was the perfect replacement for our '95 extended cab F-150 we checked with the local dealers. What a joke. Availability was marginal and they wanted a $2000-3000 dealer gouging adjustment (above MSRP). I didn't have the time to waste dickering with the local boys so I e-mailed DSM. Received a call back and was given a description of current stock as well as incoming vehicles. Put a fully refundable $500 deposit on one of the incoming trucks in late November. My wife flew up to the local airport earlier this week. The dealer picked her up and she drove the vehicle back home. Painless. Oh yea, I paid about $220 over invoice and took advantage of a $400 "recent college grad" cash incentive.

Dakota Quad Cab SLT Plus 4x4 4.7 auto
    Spray in bedliner and matching Leer shell

My kid's carseats fit nicely in the back with more legroom than the Ford extended cab and the box looks plenty big enough for all our needs (the Nissan Quad Cab box did not seem nearly big enough). It's well worth the wait.

Merry Christmas
  • rustycorustyco Member Posts: 2
    Ordered my SLT, Crew Cab, 4.7, 4-weel ABS, Dakota Nov 14, it came in Dec 24. I got all the toppings, less 4-wheel drive, and rear opening window. It came in with no dings or scratches. I paid just under $22K for it. Did I get a good deal? Just curious.
    I agree with lancelarue. Ordered on 10/22 picked up on 11/18. Randy and DSM will treat you right. And, next week I'm going skiing in Kellogg on the dealership...
    sounds like we both ordered the same truck. except I ordered rear opening window, tow package
    and no 4whl abs. I paid $200 over invoice, so it looks like we both got a good deal.

ordered mine on 12/6 and expecting delivery in Jan. or Feb. enjoy your new dakota, you lucky dog.

happy new year!

chris
  • coulterccoulterc Member Posts: 21
    Well, after reading Bookitty's luck with customer service, I thought I'd give it a try as the salesperson is being less than helpful. I have to say, they are very pleasant to deal with. After a 5 minute wait I was able to find out my truck is on a D status which is "Valid order", and nothing is happening since this is the last week of the 2 week corporate holiday. Got the last 8 of my VIN number, and was told the status should change to D1 (with a build date) next week. Argh!! 6 weeks just to find out when it might be built. Luckily the plant is only 50 miles from here, so I won't have to deal with the railcar fiasco.
    -Curt
  • tpmiller1tpmiller1 Member Posts: 165
    Offered central Pa dealer 1k above costs for loaded quad 4x4. No deal want bust out MSRP and said couldn't get that deal anywhere in PA. Restrictions now on 4x4, ordered vehicles wait 3-4 months. Salesperson wanted to know why I would want ABS on a part-time 4x4 said a waste of money.
    Comments?
  • raptor01raptor01 Member Posts: 45
    dakota trans (raptor01) Wed 29 Dec '99 (06:15 PM)

Last night I bought a Dakota quad SLT, V-6, Auto.
    This morning I found a small puddle of
    transmission fluid on the garage floor. The leak
    appears to be from where the trans bolts to the
    engine. I returned it to the dealer this AM and
    was told they would have to pull the trans back and
    replace a seal and would need a couple of days or
    I could pick out another quad on the lot. Upon
    inspecting the other quads (2) I noticed they were
    both leaking in the same area. I've asked my CU to
    hold the payment check until I release it. Anyone
    else having this problem?
    Not a happy camper
  • jelmore4jelmore4 Member Posts: 1
    I've been waiting for over a year for this model to come out. The other day I test drove one for the first time and am wondering about the head room. It seems that they have put a support beam, that drops into the cab about 1.5", across the width of the roof. Since I am 6'5" this beam is right above my head and I had to play with the seat to prevent my head from hitting the roof. While it was okay for test driving, I worry that driving it for prolonged periods will get uncomfortable. Besides, one good bump and I'll hit the roof. I enjoy the outdoors and will take it off road, so I don't want to constantly bounce into the ceiling. My '93 Dakota fits just fine since there is no support beam to contend with. Have any other tall people experienced this? Any tall people who actually bought the truck and can say what it is like drive all the time? Off road? All feedback is appreciated.
  • coulterccoulterc Member Posts: 21
    tpmiller - Sounds like the salesperson was a dork. ABS has no relation to 4x4 whatsoever.
    yep. dodgeboy says he always asks people interested in 4x4 why they would want abs. I left it pass. Did end up walking out after no budge below msrp. After he told me about his $75.00 commissions which he makes up on VOLUME..
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Can't help you in central PA, but I did order a truck in eastern, PA from Reedman Motors. If all goes well when the 3rd of January arives and the plant opens for business, I will be okay. Read the following:

Yesterday, Xmas Eve day, I ordered a 4X4 SLT Dodge
    Quad Cab, Amber Fire Pearl, 4.7, 5 speed, limited
    slip 3.55 rear(s), SLT Plus, power overhead, tire
    and handling group, 6X9 power mirrors, engine block heater, tow pack, HD service group, sliding rear window, skid plates, body side molding, and leather wrapped steering wheel. This is about the same specification as my 1995 Dodge Dakota Club Cab, which incidentally I ordered on Xmas Eve day in '94. The contributors to this topic were a great source of information and help. Michaelj3, I ended up ordering the truck from the dealership you hate. I wrangled a deal for $125.00 over invoice, and I will receive a $500.00 discount via my farm bureau membership when I take possession. I did find a very helpful and knowledgeable sales person at the dealership. I tried to order through
    Autovantage, except that the dealer to whom they
    referred me preferred playing head games rather
    than selling a truck. I accommodated them. Now,
    all that remains is delivery, and that may turn out to be the most difficult part. Thanks to you all for the input in this forum, and for the exchange of pertinent information. Happy holiday.

Bookitty
    Thanx. I work out of Broomall, so maybe I'll check them out. Wondered just how the FB credit worked. Us dumb Dutchmen don't get out much. Not to worry, Daimler CSR assured me today the workers R returning to build your Quad. They want to keep Bookitty happy, so they said. Gonna put an xtra special Y2K gift in it, anti-Gremlins button.
    Enjoy.
This discussion has been closed.