Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota Crew Cab

Comments

• antonyantony Member Posts: 46
    What central PA dealer did you deal with? I am also in central PA and I have been talking to a
    dealer about the Quads, although I have not yet
    placed an order.
  • tpmiller1tpmiller1 Member Posts: 165
    Ladd Hanford in Lebanon. In response to carpoint,I have talked to a dealer in Aberdeen Maryland. They claim to be selling ordered quads for 700 under invoice. I will know more today and post.
  • balserbalser Member Posts: 90
    Ordered my 4x4 Quad Cab 11/23 and it still hasn't
    been scheduled for production. When I checked with Dodge customer service today, they told me all 4x4 Club and Quad Cab Dakotas are on restriction until they catch up with 2wd demand. Could be two weeks or as long as a month before it's even scheduled. The dealer is trying to confirm this.

I'd hate to have to cancel my order, but this is
    real disappointing. Called the Ford dealer and the F-150 SuperCrews will hit the lots mid-February. I figure Dodge has until the end of January to have my truck in my driveway or my order might be history.
  • erich3erich3 Member Posts: 3
    Anyone got some miles on a 4x2 w 4.7 and have an idea what the mpg highway is. I'm looking at buying a quad cab, want the power/towing of the 4.7, but drive 20k miles a year at least, and would like to see 20 mpg on the highway. Have heard a few people say they get 21 w/V6 or better on highway.
    Thanks,
    Erich
  • jaalfsjaalfs Member Posts: 6
    I visited Del Amo Dodge yesterday to look into
    ordering a new Quad Cab. This short experience left me wondering why I want to even buy a Dodge. This dealership treated me very badly. I just wanted to find out the procedure to order the Quad Cab. They started off by telling me they expected a profit of $1200 on any ordered truck. I laughed at that. They then went on to ridicule me for using the internet to research my purchase. They insinuated that if I succeeded in making a purchase for $500 over invoice that I would somehow regret it later. That the dealership would somehow rip me off in an unseen way. I must now find another dealership to order from. If you choose to visit this dealership please be aware of the response you will get by
    trying to be an aware and informed consumer.
  • hennehenne Member Posts: 407
    i have about 2800 miles on my quad so far (less than 3 weeks), and im getting about 14 city and 18 highway. in my experience with new cars the milage will get better and top out after around 5000 miles.

happy quading,

robert
  • stepheng2stepheng2 Member Posts: 1
    I test drove a Dakota quad cab 4x4 and it had a very stiff ride. The Nissan quad cab had a much more comfortable ride, but the Dakota is a better size and has more power. Is the stiff ride typical, and is there anything that can be done to make it less stiff?
  • tgr1tgr1 Member Posts: 92
    My 4.7L 4x2 quad has 700 miles on it, and I'm getting about 17 highway, and 13.3 city driving. My '97 Dakota v-6 4x2 club cab got 20 and 15.5. As for 4x4 stiff ride, maybe it has the sport suspension. It is a little stiffer than the standard, but hey, its also a truck. In fact, much more truck than the Nissan.
  • gbilhimergbilhimer Member Posts: 53
    I test drove a 4x4 Quad Cab SLT 4.7 before I ordered a 4x2. I thought it rode very well for a 4x4, much better than a friends Chevy S10 which rides pretty rough. The only reason I ordered a 4x2 is that I did not need a 4x4 and saw no use in paying for something I did not need. The Nissan is so small it isn't even in the same class as the Dakota!
  • coulterccoulterc Member Posts: 21
    Balser,
    Same story here. I ordered Dakota QC 4x4 on 11/22. Got the same story from Chrysler concerning indefinite restriction. I wanted this truck badly, but I need something by Jan 27th, so I'll be cancelling if they can't deliver.

Not happy.
  • chadc777chadc777 Member Posts: 54
    I have a 98 4x4 extended cab and it has a very smooth ride. Much smoother than my fathers 95?96? explorer (probaby mainly due to wheelbase). I've never been in a similar wheelbase 4x2, but can't imagine a much smoother ride. Mine has 1450 payload (the lightest, cushyist for 4x4). Was the one tested an 1800 pound payload equiped truck?

The Quad Cabs have the same 1450, but I did find out that the 4x4 front suspension was redone for 2000 and 2000 4x4 now also get rack/pinion steering. I have not confirmed that the brakes were redone on the 2000s, but I hope so. Only thing I don't like about my truck is the ABS problems. Too touchy and sometimes it literally won't stop when ABS engage which is often on dry pavement with good traction under mild breaking but I hit a bump and the ABS starts pumping and I stop stopping! I have to let off and reapply the brake to stop. Occasionally happens. Dealer said they know, its normal, bad design, they get complaints. Not a very good answer.

I'm anxious to drive a 4x4 quad 4.7L to compare it to my 5.2L and perhaps order a quad. Sad to hear the 4x4 are on hold. I will like the better fuel economy of the 4.7L but imagine it will shift annoying often (to me) in comparison to the 5.2L and its low end torque. I imagine towing will be a totally different experience between the two also.

Chad
  • kstohrkstohr Member Posts: 1
    I placed an order for a Dakota Quad 4.7 5spd on 11/2. Was told it would be 6 to 8 wks. I checked with the dealer just before X-mas and was told that it was waiting to be built & could get no additional info because of shutdown for holiday. I called back on Jan 3rd & he still couldn't tell me anything, other than it was still waiting to be built. I've called the dealer & 1 800 4 a dodge about 3 times each today & nobody seems to know anything other than allocation. After more than 2 months I find it hard to believe that someone can't give me a date. Does anyone have a phone# I could call for HELP, being the dealer & the 1-800# have no idea of what is going on. Anyone thinking about buying one of these trucks should check on availability, FIRST.
  • gsx750fgsx750f Member Posts: 32
    just bought a QC 4.7L 4x4 auto in December. I'm interested in buying a extended service contract for 7yr/100,000 miles. I got the prices from the Dodge website. Has anybody bought a service contract and been able to get a better deal through the dealership. Thanks
  • coulterccoulterc Member Posts: 21
    Well, I just talked with Daimler Chrylser customer service again, and the service rep spoke with his team leader and they are estimating that my truck will be built before the end of next week. (Quad, 4x4, 4.7, 5spd). He said there were no restrictions, unlike the last one I spoke with. I'll call again next Friday and see what's up then.

This truck was ordered 11/22. I'm interested in hearing from others who've ordered, as to what the reps are saying about the ship dates. My salesperson has been less than helpful to say the least (5-star dealer? bah!).
    -Curt
  • ronboorronboor Member Posts: 3
    I ordered my Dakota CC, 4X4, 4.7, 5spd, ltd slip, slt Nov 4th and mine is scheduled to ship Jan 11th. My dealer has been helpful, but it seeems like a long wait to me. Maybe the wait till enough 5spd are being built to actually build them???? I will let you know if mine ships on time. I am willing to go get it if they would let me.

Ron
  • longtonfarmlongtonfarm Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2000 Dakota Quad Cab SLT, 350
    miles ago. The fuel injected 4.7L V8 really runs
    great. Put the throttle down 1/2 way and it
    roars onto the freeway with the sound of a vette
    and the transmission shifts like there is a
    nascar driver working the clutch and a 4 sp.
    shifter manually. I highly suggest getting the
    4.7L engine. Definately enough power to pull
    almost anything. I'm just guessing, but you
    probably would not gain much with the 5.9L unless
    you have some extreme towing to do. Anyway, the
    4.7L makes my old Chevy 350 V8 feel like an
    ice cream truck.

Now for the negative. I purchased the split bench
    seat with the arm rest in the middle. When the arm rest is up, and the seat is slightly reclined,
    the arm rest will feel like a bump in your side.

If your tall, I suggest reclining the seat a little so the bar accross the middle of the roof does not hit your head.

Overall this vehicle has alot of interior space
    and it runs great.
  • myersedmyersed Member Posts: 102
    I too like mine-

Has been all I expect except for the fuel economy. I sense it to be around 16 local. Local for me is a 40 mile round trip which has a 10 mile non-stop stretches at 55-60 in each direction. I plan to do an extended interstate run this weekend of approx 400 miles and will see what it gets then.

Considering it is the newly engineered engine/transmission pushing a very light truck compared to my 81 F150 (which gets 16 MPG with 187,000 miles on it,) I would epect at least 17 MPG. Time will tell-

Re: the armrest- I'm much shorter and have a moderate frame size (5'6" at 185) and have not experienced any issues with the center armrest. I was however concerned about the seating comfort because my older Dodge Van would kill my back on long trips- so far so good!
  • amend1amend1 Member Posts: 98
    Don't feel bad-I ordered mine "10/26/99" and I'm still waiting. The dealer did call me when there was some news-I actually got the same from the 800 number the same day. They are saying it's being built, going through some quality control stuff, no ship date. The saga continues. Really can't "expect" it yet. I'll call again next week.
  • fireflyerrfireflyerr Member Posts: 11
    I ordered a Dakota quadcab on 12/10. I've had a Jeep pickup for the last 12 years, but since they quit building them I went looking at others. I was glad to see the Dakota has the 4.7 from the Grand Cherokee. All I have read about it is good. I am still driving an '88 Jeep Comanche pickup with 124,000 miles. The " bulletproof" straight six has been the best money I have ever spent. I keep vehicles a long time, and the durability of the drivetrain is one of the most important factors to me, not the performance, (but it is nice). I have had some really good Chrysler cars too, and I hope the Dakota 4.7 will work for me for about 15 yrs.
    Do you have rear ABS, or 4-wheel ABS ? Just curious.
  • raptor01raptor01 Member Posts: 45
    gsx 750f,
    I recently had my dealer throw in a 7/75,000 power train warranty at no cost to me. I can tell you the dealer cost is 50% less of the list price of the service contract. I don't know if your dealer will negotiated the $$$ or not.
  • qchadqchad Member Posts: 2
    if the quad was a woman I'd walk thru hot burning coals to have it. Looking to buy one later in 2000
    want the 4.7l auto?? standard?? not sure yet. prob will go with the 4x2. I tow a light 1300lbs 17ft tracker boat so do i need the 3.92?..you fellow Quaders email me over the next several months. let me know how your quad is doing with the engine options you got, or any problems or changes you woulda made thx
    Qchad
  • qchadqchad Member Posts: 2
    if the quad was a woman I'd walk thru hot burning coals to have it. Looking to buy one later in 2000
    want the 4.7l auto?? standard?? not sure yet. prob will go with the 4x2. I tow a light 1300lbs 17ft tracker boat so do i need the 3.92?..you fellow Quaders email me over the next several months. let me know how your quad is doing with the engine options you got, or any problems or changes you woulda made thx
    Qchad
    I just got back from driving a 2000 Quad and I am impressed. I own a 98 4x4 extended cab with 5.2L and drove a similar setup 4x4 quad with a 4.7L.

The back seats are huge. Much better than the Explorers I've been in.

I couldn't tell much difference in the new 4x4 front suspension for 2000, but the new rack and pinion stearing was WAY better than my 98's. Nice to see they finally engineered a rack and pinion that worked in the 4x4 Dakota(4x2's have had it). Smooth, smooth steering.

6x9 mirrors are big improvement over the 5x7. Sound system sounded horrible in the quad compared to my extended cab, but it didn't have the high end stereo and infinity speakers. Still, the quads have smaller midrange sized speakers in the rear rather than larger woofers like the extended cabs. Don't know if I will be satisfied with factory sound like I am with my 98.

The 4.7L was very snappy. I was surprised. It definitely shifted a LOT more than my 5.2L, but one would likely get used to that. Cruising at 70mph, he 4.7 would downshift almost right away with light pressure on the pedal. My 5.2 will accelarate rather well without even thinking of coming out of overdrive. Around town, the 4.7 felt zippier (read: faster revving) and more willing to accelarate than the 5.2. It was also quieter.

The raw horpower/torque numbers would lead me to beleive the 5.2 should out accelarate the 4.7. The 4.7 has 235hp/295trq and the 5.2 has 230hp/315trg. Obviously 20 more ft/ib of torque will accelerate a truck faster than 5 more horse due to weight, etc. but the 4.7 did feel quick. Is it possible that the auto tranny linked to the 4.7 is so much more efficient that it will out accel the 5.2? It would be interesting to drag to identical except for engine/tranny equipped Daks to get an answer. I will say that the 5.2 floored at 70 feels a lot stronger than a 4.7 floored. That torque does make a difference when fighting drag.

Also, I did not hear the ticking some describe. I looked under the hood, but resisted looking under the oil filler cap to see the foam. I mentioned it to dealer as we drove around and he remained silent (don't know if he had never heard of it before or he just didn't want to talk about it).

The colors, as can be expected, look nothing like the flyers Dodge has sent out. The Amber is actuall much darker than I had imagined and is a VERY sharp color. I had to look over the lot to see examples of the other colors on vehicles other than Dakotas. A 300M had the Dark Garnett red (very nice color). The blue was too bright for my taste. I also want to check out the green and bronze, but the amber is probably going to win.

I will be ordering one this spring and trading in my 98 Dak. I think the quad cab and its associated improvements will make up for the annoyingly commom shifting. I'll get used to that soon enough and will hopefully be happier each time I fill up the gas tank.

Has anyone else with a lot of driving experience with a 5.2 driven or now own a similar truck with the 4.7? I am interested in others comparisons.

Thanks,
    Chad
    Antony, my 98 that has occasional brake problems is 4 wheel ABS. I am considering getting only the standard rear ABS if ordering a Quad (if possible). The ABS problems I detailed several posts ago seems to feel like the problem is in the front ABS. If I can find out if the 2000 Dak's brakes were redone (like the front suspension), I might again try the 4 wheel ABS.

Chad
  • themacguythemacguy Member Posts: 417
    I guess you're referring to a 4x4 comparison, I don't know and don't have any experience with them, but I had the 318 (5.2) S/Cab and now have the 285 (4.7) Q/Cab - both autos, 2wd. The differences are simply astounding... Being a (multiple) Porsche owner I'm trying to figure out how the SCCA is going to let me Auto-X this truck - it's that good. And it'll just get better.

I have noticed (your similar) lag experience from 70 to about 80 when floored (I've got the 3.55 rear); other than that, off the line, rolling starts, top speed (speed limiter... uh...mmm... 'altered') and most of all mpg are all 4.7 - by a ton. I've owned a '93 Typhoon and still have a '71 Chevy Super Cheyenne w/ 400 small block and B&M full-race TH400 tranny - still, I've NEVER driven a truck that winds like a Porsche - until the Quad. It's got to be a hemi.

Also: I've noticed no foam, no ticking and no 'frequent' shifts - but with this stereo at 1/2 volume I couldn't hear a 747 land on my head.

About the stereo - you're right - you haven't heard MY factory Infinity system with the little steering wheel thingy controls. That's right, it's mine and you can't have one - I'm calling Chrysler right now and tell them to stop production - I want everyone to think I came up with this awesome sound. The Alan Parsons Project CD just flat rips!

Seriously, you need to hear, maybe a better term is 'experience' this stereo - it's that good; better than either my Porsches or Lincoln. But if you forget to order the $60 steering wheel controls - I'll put a voodoo curse on you!

To the crazycanuk: What it iz bro! You need a green card in the worst way. Even taking into consideration the currency exchange difference - your price is way high. And your tax just plain sux, man. Come on down to Texas, or heck, even a Minnesota dealer can cream that turkey. Righteous.
  • hennehenne Member Posts: 407
    hello all, i wanted to get an idea of what you guys are getting on your trucks, i have a quad, 4x2, 4.7, auto, 3.92 rear and at 55 mph my rpm is 2000, whats yours? and also have any of you reached 3000 miles yet, they said at 3000 my rpm would drop from 600rpm to 500 rpm, which it has done but it also will sometimes be 700 or 600 rpm, kinda confused.

thanks,

robert
    themacguy, thanks for the comparison. That makes me feel better. Even a 4x2 compare.

As I noted in my post, my 98 has the high end stereo/cassette/cd equalizer with infinity speakers and I've always been impressed with the sound. The quad I test drove had some junky cassette player and "regular" speakers. I was very hopeful that its poor sound was a product of that combination and a better factory system would still have the good sound I've grown to enjoy in my 98. I was concerned that they had to use different smaller speakers in the rear of the quad because of the doors that perhaps sound quality would suffer. By your description, I need only to listen to (and order) a Quad with a setup like my 98 and I will retain the great quality sound. By the way, it will be ordered with the steering wheel controls. Its a nice thing not having to take your eyes off the road to adjust volume.

Another thing I forgot to mention that I liked was the auto door locks that lock after 15mph is exceeded. Finally. Its a pain to have to remember to lock my doors before I drive away each time. Safety issue. Everyone should do it.

Anyone else have comparisons between 5.2L and 4.7L?
    Thanks,
    Chad
  • cashcow2000cashcow2000 Member Posts: 9
    Live in Tampa Bay, FL area (Go Bucs!) and have found most dealers have only a few quads to pick from. Good news is that several claim they will sell for $100 over invoice. I am set on white and have had trouble finding white let alone with the options I want. (Auto, SLT Plus, power overhead, CD, fog lights, mist gray w/bench seat) Have had several dealers tell me that the Dakota Quad is too big/heavy for the V6 and they recommend getting the 4.7L. Any truth to this? I can't believe that Dodge would offer an undersized engine. Probably just salesman BS.

I have called many dealers to try and find what I want with no luck. I am considering ordering one, but am hesitant due to the lead time horror stories (Some 12 weeks!) I have been reading on this board. For what it's worth one dealer told me the factory is building the trucks fast now. Whatever that means. Any suggestions?
  • rwhitrwhit Member Posts: 3
    18 male wanting to lease a good truck for college and am wandering what if any are the advantages of the Dakota above the ranger. To my knowledge the ranger will be cheaper but is the Dakota worth the price ? Keep in mind i am going to college and wwant a 2wd quad cab sport dakota or a quad cab sport ranger. Also do you think that the dakota needs a V8?
    cashcow2000, I have driven a Quad with the V-6.
    It was a "rolling roadblock", having extremely
    poor acceleration compared to a 4.7L V8 I also
    drove.
  • andy_jordanandy_jordan Member Posts: 764
    Does the Ranger have ANY advantages over the Dakota - I can't think of any!!
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Considering the ratio of weight to horsepower, remember that the Nissan Frontier Crew Cab is running their 3.3 rated @ 170 HP.
    In reviews, the one point that most reviewers have
    made, is that the 3.3 is a bit light in the area
    of power. It runs out of steam. Especially with
    an automatic, you may want to consider the 4.7.
    If you keep the vehicle for a few years, you may
    make a decision today that you have to live with
    for a great many tomorrows.

Bookitty
  • poolman57poolman57 Member Posts: 16
    I am looking at ordering a 2000 Quad Cab Sport 4WD in the very near future and would like some input on several topics from actual owners.
    1. Differences between the 40/20/40 split bench and the true buckets with the floor console....which is more comfortable? This is probably a question I need to answer for myself but, I know someone was saying something earlier about the armrest was not quite positioned just right on the 40/20/40. Also, do the true buckets sit too high for back seat passengers?
    2. I am looking at getting the 3.92 rear axle ratio with the 5.9L engine but it seems that some of you are quite content with the 3.55. I currently drive an '87 Chevy 4WD with the 3.73 and 33" tires reducing to roughly 3.55. The O/D doesn't seem to have as much pulling power at cruising speeds. I guess what I am needing are RPMs at 60 mph to set a standard (and also RPMs at higher speeds like 80 or 90 if anyone can help me with that).
    3. Also, I would like to have some tips on keeping a BLACK truck clean because that is how I plan on ordering. I live in the south where it rains at least once a week and humid most of the time, lots of times waking up in the morning to either frost or dew on my truck, then driving it and the dew runs off and makes water spots and the same thing after it rains.

If anyone can help me with any of the above delimas, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
  • nrgzrnrgzr Member Posts: 2
    I just wanted to share my experiences, both good and bad with my now departed 99 dakota.
    GOOD: best all-around truck for the money, hands down. You get the payload and towing of a fullsize
    and the dodge dealer will sell it to you for the price of a dinky truck( if you stick to your gonads). Also the resale was just remarkable! These are really popular trucks!
    BAD: I had many defects in build quality on my red 99extcab sport 4x2 3.9 5speed. The paint was
    peeling off the bottom and it was rusting fast.
    The catalytic conv. went south and made quite a
    racket. The weatherstrip on the bottom of the pass. door was installed upside down and it started to hang so I pulled it off. The 3.9six was
    knocking on accel. and the service-rep told me to use 89 octane fuel even though the manual specifically tells you not to use anything but 87.
    The knocking went away for a few K miles and then came back again even with 89 oct.The service-rep said that mopar is working on a fix. Sounds like a
    recall to me. Anyhow the dealer was excellent with
    repairs, and they gave me a rental when my truck went to the paint shop for 4 days to repaint the
    bottom. These are factory defects that should not happen in my opinion. That said I would still have
    my truck was it not for the fact that my two kids
    just hated sitting on the full-size bench in back.
    There is no padding for heads and they would get
    them knocked off the rear-glass or very unforgiving hard-plastic above the 90 degree seatback.It got to the point where they did not want to go anywhere in my rig! So no matter how much I loved the thing, I love my son & daughter
    much, much more. I would definitly buy a 4door
    dakota sometime in the future however and I know
    what defects to look for next time. For now I am very satisfied with my little suv. If you are going to be hauling little ones around more than a
    full bed of stuff then I would suggest the 4door
    or any of the smaller suvs on the market.
  • tpmiller1tpmiller1 Member Posts: 165
    Cook Motors in Aberdeen Maryland offered an ordered, loaded dakota quad 4x4 (sport) at 720 under dealer invoice. B&L of Shamokin PA offered me the same deal.
    Note that this includes Farm Bureau membership discount of $500.00.
    Please e-mail privately if you would like further info.
  • jackp4jackp4 Member Posts: 2
    I just test drove the crew cab, and really liked most of it, and will likely buy, 4.7 V8 auto, 2wd. My question for you happy owners is do you get used to the thick pillars next to the windshield, and the large rear view mirror? Both of these items seemed to generate too large of a blind spot for me to be comfortable with.

Second question: Is there any difference in the suspension in the sport vs std truck

Thanks!
  • jackp4jackp4 Member Posts: 2
    I just test drove the crew cab, and really liked most of it, and will likely buy, 4.7 V8 auto, 2wd. My question for you happy owners is do you get used to the thick pillars next to the windshield, and the large rear view mirror? Both of these items seemed to generate too large of a blind spot for me to be comfortable with.

Second question: Is there any difference in the suspension in the sport vs std truck

Thanks!
    Jack, are there that many blind spots to encourage four entries or are we dealing with advanced redundancy? advanced redundancy advanced redundancy advanced redundancy advanced redundancy advanced redundancy

just kidding

Bookitty
    Maybe its just me.

I don't have a quad cab, I have a club cab, but I think the mirror / pillars are the same.

I can't say that I have ever found the rear view mirror to get in the way. That said I hadn't thought about the pillar getting in the way until someone mentioned it on another topic a little while ago.

I don't find it to be a problem because I just lean forward to see round it. Given that it really becomes an issue at junctions I don't see that this is a problem - as I said it was such an automatic reaction for me that I was only concious of it after someone else mentioned it.

But of course that's just my opinion. inion. ion. n.
    I have a 98 (soon to be 2000) that I notice the pillars being in the way only at 4 way stops, but not bad enough to complain or really notice. Like others said, just a slight head shift or body shift to see.

I drove a 2000 with the 6x9 mirrors rather than the normal 5x7 and think the better rearword and side visibility is WAY better with the 6x9 and will order with them. The little bit physically mirror blocks a bit more low left/low right visibility, but not enough to make it not worth getting for the better side and rear visibility.

Chad
  • tgr1tgr1 Member Posts: 92
    The 5x7 sideview mirrors are smaller than the 6x9, and will not block as much of your view to the front left.
    I guess it breaks down to where you need to look more. If you need to look lower left more than along the side and rear of your truck (not me!), then get the 5x7. I can see this only if you do a lot of 4 way intersections (not stop lights). The 6x9 are a better purchase if you do a lot of interstate or two lane highway driving because they are far easier to use with a much larger view than the 5x7 when changing lanes.

So it goes back to use. Drive them both and compare. Take into consideration your daily driving routine. I'll take the 6x9.

Chad
    No question, had to be 6x9. I want to be able to see as much as possible behind me - especially when towing. My view is that when I need to see left or right I am either going slowly or stopped - when I need to see behind me I am going a lot faster - especially when looking to change lane etc.
    Having driven trucks with cranes mounted on them, as well as truck cranes, I rely upon my mirrors a great deal. I also like a convex mirror (additional or spot type) to give me a wider view on the driver side. Having been used to not being able to see out of the rear window directly or with a mirror has trained me to rely solely on my side mounts. My '95 Dakota club cab had the west coast mirror option. There are no side mount mirrors that are "too large" to suit me. My wife has a great deal of difficulty in using side mounts, and does not really trust them. She prefers turning in her seat when backing up, and since she never hits anything, I guess it works for her. I garage my vehicles at home, and depend entirely on my side mounts when reversing.

Bookitty
  • willmichiwillmichi Member Posts: 1
    I know that the bed length for the crew cab is around 5' but can anyone tell me the dimension between the two rear wheel wells? thanks
    The measurements are:
    Length 5'3"
    Overall width 4'11"
    Width between wheel wells 3'9"
    Depth 1' 5 1/2"
  • myersedmyersed Member Posts: 102
    For months I was determined to purchase the large mirrors to maximize visibility and have the breakaway feature. By the time I was ready to purchase my Quad I had decided that the smaller mirror was much safer for me.
    I am only 5'6" tall and found the position of the larger mirror to be a major obstacle once I did more driving in the city and in parking lots. I feel that being short forces me to sit closer to the mirror- thus 1) it aggravating the area being blocked and 2) it makes seeing around the mirror a major head-bobbing challenge
    I do believe that taller folks would not have near the same issue.
  • silverado7silverado7 Member Posts: 1
    Has any one had an experience with an Indiana dealer, that they would reccomend to me? Price close to invoice,great service too? Want a crew cab Dakota really bad!
  • poolman57poolman57 Member Posts: 16
    I live right outside of Nashville, TN and I would like to share my experience with haggling (sp) for a new truck. I just ordered a new Black Quad Cab 4WD Sport with the 5.9L, automatic, 3.92 and all the goodies that I wanted (which was most of them). I built the truck on the Dodge site and printed it out. Then I went to all the local Dodge Dealers and compared prices (MSRP on the truck was $29,990 then I found out what invoice was by the dealers pulling up the specific options and actually see the invoice: $27,200. One of them gave me a copy of the invoice). I would ask them, "This is want I want; What's the best deal you can give me?" Instead of comparing different trucks, you compare the same truck. Four of the six dealers offered me $500 over invoice, one offered me 1 1/2% over invoice, then I got one for 1% over invoice. I told him I was not quite ready to order yet....then he offered me invoice. SOLD. Then, there is the $500 Farm Bureau discount. So I ordered mine at $500 below invoice. I don't like to haggle; I let them haggle it out. And anybody can do that. If the dealers want your business bad enough they will try to beat each other.
This discussion has been closed.