Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Internet vs. Traditional Car Buying

Comments

• Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    take a shot at him? Offer the guy the cheapest V-8 you've got.

Costs you two minutes and an email.
  • Options
    landru2landru2 Member Posts: 638
    experience has taught me that people that send emails like this are time wasters of the first order. Sure, 2 minutes now, then the obligatory follow-up emails, maybe a phone call or two, then maybe a test drive, and odds are the guy still won't be a buyer.

No thanks, I have plenty of normal customers to deal with.
  • Options
    bobstbobst Member Posts: 1,776
    If I were your boss, I would say, "Landru, this guy has some money to spend, and I want you to make a reasonable effort to get him to spend it at our dealership".
  • Options
    But I really do have plenty of real customers to deal with. Getting a guy like this to buy something ranks barely ahead of making cold calls out of the phone book. I'm sure lots of people in the phone book have money to spend but neither I nor my boss have the resources to chase after them.
  • Options
    To a new guy. I can understand not wanting to waste time but if this guy's real your dealership is missing a sale.
  • Options
    abtsellerabtseller Member Posts: 291
    we've been conditioned to accept the fact that this guy isn't real. The people that spend all day on carbuyingtips, etc, are NOT real buyers. And, if they are, they are usually not worth selling to. Too much hassle for not enough dollar.

Those of us who sit here all day and take these emails can usually smell them a mile away.

Ed
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    The guy is a non-serious buyer.

I've worked internet sales before and I can tell you, there are a lot of people with time on their hands.

landru knows what he is talking about!
  • Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    last week that e-mailed me on an ad car. 2003 Avalon XL with leather, moonroof, the works. List is $29,487.00 we advertised it for $26,500.00 just a tad over invoice. Car's been here since September so it needs to find a home quick. His e-mail read something like this. "Your ad on today's paper for stk# t9966 2003 Avalon. I'll offer $25,000.00 out the door and I'll take 0% financing. I know about secret factory to dealer incentives on this car. I'm in no hurry to buy as I have a perfectly good car at this time. E-mail me if you are interested." So I e-mail him back, "Mr. Customer I appreciate your offer but at this time I must decline. This car Lists for $29,487.00 invoice is $26,333.00 I'm making $167.00 dollars just to get it out of my inventory as it has been here since September 2002. Nothing wrong with the car, it just got lost in the shuffle." sincerely, Mack Int sales.
    Never heard from the guy. Car sold this Saturday for the ad price.
                            ; )
                           Mackabee
  • Options
    This guy had $25,000 to spend. By giving up on him you are losing a sale.

;^)
  • Options
    For those of you that want to buy a car via the internet sales department. Please make things easy for both sides. To begin with, when e-mailing for a price quote, do so when you are within a week or so of buying. We get a lot of "buying in 2-12 months" what good does a price quote do for you when things will be different in 2-12 months, rebates, new model introduction, price increases, etc.. etc. When coming to the dealership ask for the internet sales manager and deal with him/her. They were kind enough to answer your e-mail be courteous and return the courtesy and ask for them. On your e-mails how 'bout a phone number where you can be reached. Nothing is more frustrating than having a customer send an e-mail with no phone number or address and then e-mailing that customer back to have the e-mail come back as undeliverable. Then the customer e-mails again and wants to know why they haven't been contacted. If a phone number would have been included, this wouldn't have happened. Just a couple of .02's
                                 ; )
                                 Mackabee
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    you mention asking for the internet salesman (aka you). To me, this sends the message that the 'net guy is essentially another salesman. That is, it really isn't an e-commerce type of operation, just another way to get leads (just like a phone call).

My point is, a local dealer group that I have dealt with does have a "true" internet operation. I make contact with the internet rep, who checks availability and sets the price. But, if you want to see (or buy), they make an appointment with a specific contact (salesman) at whichever brand showroom you need.

From experience, the internet rep has nothing to do with the actually "sales" process, and the salesman has all the particulars already (sent from the internet rep), so they really are doing nothing more than showing you the car and filing out some paperwork.

Actually, I have no point, I just felt like sharing my experience.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    masspectormasspector Member Posts: 509
    Not trying to be provocative here, but I have perused carbuyingtips.com and used ABT in the past. I was a real buyer. I really did buy two cars. The info on carbuyingtips was useful to me to be able to breakdown the transaction into easily understandable bits.

I guess there are some people out there that are crazy enough to abuse your time, but I would think most people that contact you really do want to buy a car ( I have never contacted a dealer except when I was interested in buying a car). Again no disrespect intended to you or your colleagues but IMO your comment "Too much hassle for not enough dollar" is probably a more accurate picture of the situation.

BTW, glad you decided to join back in. Your comments and insights are greatly appreciated, at least by this poster.
  • Options
    Great posts. You both hit it on the head.

Mack, not sure about the phone number thing...LOL I want to stay annonymous til the last possible second

stickguy...that sounds like the way an internet dept should work...no saleman's or customer's time is wasted
  • Options
    One time I mistakenly gave my phone number to a salesman at the dealer where Cliffy now works, and the sales manager called me at work and started badgering me. For some reason, I was too polite to hang up, so I actually endured his phone call for much longer than I should have. Same thing happened with a Mazda salesman, only he was much worse. Now I never give out our phone number.

Other than that, I agree with you, Mack. When a customer is ready to buy, they can send an e-mail to a dealer offering an exact OTD price, just like your considerate, but misinformed, customer did.

Hey, Landru, I see that you are beginning to master the art of internet sales. Glad I could help.

Bob
  • Options
    At least you make an effort to contact them.

And bobst, I never had a complaint about Cliffy's store when I was online. Just what do you consider badgering?
  • Options
    wrong side of the equation.

Stickguy, we have the largest and most successful internet operation in the Southeast. We've been doing this longer (and better) than anyone. We have made a lot of changes in the past 2 years that I've been here, and its probably better than ever. Here is how it works with us: We have 12 (number varies) guys here who are part of the internet department. We are either salesmen or managers, not order takers. If you use our time and expertise to get information and a price, it would show a little courtesy to allow them to "fill out the paperwork" and earn a living when you buy your car. The "E-commerce" model you're talking about is used by smaller dealerships that don't have enough leads to justify a complete dedicated department. We're working over 2,000 a month, on average.

Mass and Bobst, The way I see it, the leads that I get that are completely filled out, including phone numbers (which part of Auto-by-TEL is so hard to understand?) are the ones that warrant my time and attention.

You would be stunned at how many leads we get that say "Highlander" on them.

Well, lets see, there's about 40 different combinations of what you could get in a Highlander, care to elaborate? A phone call solves this in 5 minutes. My time is valuable, and I don't play a stupid "what's it going to get you to come to the dealership today" game. I am a 60wpm typist, but I run out of patience playing email games back and forth on options and pricing. Either you're a serious customer offering a realistic price on a vehicle, or you're not. The quicker we determine which, the sooner we can get things wrapped up and go on to the next one.

Now, I'm not trying to sound short or abrupt here, I'm trying to sum it up. I've got a very high CSI and I'm very good at what I do, but I try to cut out a lot of the fluff for you guys here.

Ed
  • Options
    Well, hate to tell you this, but an "Internet Manager" or "Internet Person" is...(gulp) a salesperson on commission!

Mackabee...when a shopper won't give me a phone number, I know they are a non-serious buyer. They just want to hide behind a keyboard. Not always, but most of the time.

I'll never badger a person on the phone. I'll leave a couple of follow up messages. If they don't return my calls, I'll figure they already bought something or they weren't serious.
  • Options
    It was 1994, and we were looking for a sedan with a 5-sp. I stopped at his store to drive a Camry. A 5-sp only came in the DX model, and while I liked the way it drove, I thought it was too stripped down for our taste.

A couple days later the sales manager called me at work and started giving me the hard sell about how great Toyotas are. After several minutes, he said something like, "OK, lets cut to the chase, how much are you willing to pay for the car?" I said we weren't sure if we even wanted the car, but he kept right on talking. Finally, I told him I had to get back to work, and hung up.

A couple weeks earlier I had stopped at another Toyota dealer just to see what colors the car came in, and within 5 minutes a sales guy gave me the line, "What can I do to sell you a car today?". I said "Nothing", and he went away.

We eventually bought an Altima, which our son still drives. Since that time, we bought four other new cars, learning a little more each time, like to never give out our work phone number.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    Actually, the dealer group I was talking about is the probably thelargest in the area. They also have pricing on the web, so you can get one without talking to a person. They also send out monthly specials from time to time, with some very good deals.

Craig, the internet rep is not a salesman. The person I dealt with (a number of times) handles all the contact (ABT, their own site, etc) but doesn't get involved in the in-showroom part. They specifically tell you who to ask for (not them). I assume they are on salary, but could be getting a cut of each deal they pass along.

It is a good operation for people who want low hassle/no negotiating pricing (you know exactly what the price for a specific car is before you walk in). may not be the absolute lowest price you could grind to, but there isn't much fat on the bones either.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    For our leads that aren't automated. It is her job to talk with the customer, find out about trades, etc, and then she passes them onto a real salesperson (in our internet dept).

She's also an invaluable resource that helps the customers and salesmen when the logistics of the sale are going on. Sort of like a den-mother.

Ed
  • Options
    tk865tk865 Member Posts: 52
    At our store the Internet Manager (moi) recieves all inquiries, sets a price, returns email/calls with the ultimate hope of finding out if that person will buy at that price. If yes, set the appt. and give it to an Internet Sales Rep. If no, find out why. If there's no hope of getting the sale (i.e. thought a new Camry should be $200/mo payment, buying another brand, BSWE, local dealer quoted 1000's less) i may follow up ONCE in a week and make sure the competing offer or whatever was honored. If they need to think on it, I email or call (whatever the customer prefers) about once a week, or once a month if they aren't buying for 6 months or so. I may ask a salesman to do this follow up. Either way, your first contact is a manager (unless I'm slammed), but your ultimate agent is a salesman. So why ask for me? Simple. I can save you a WHOLE lot of time, by having a saleman who has been informed about the exact car you want, and exact price to pay. Why else? Respect. I respected you enough to come "out of the gate" with a very fair quote, and not play games. All I ask is that you refrain from playing games with me and my staff. As many of my customers have found, giving me an offer can make you an owner very fast, or let you know that I can't meet your offer. And about the phone number - you'd be surprised how many emails get bounced back as "undeliverable." If you're very serious about wanting a response, including a number gives another route, feel free to put "I have included my number in case of email failure. Please do not call it otherwise." If you start getting harassing calls, just say "I'm sorry, I thought we could work together. This kind of pressure obviously isn't the situation I want to deal in. Please do not call me again, for any purpose, or I will contact the Better Business Bureau. Good day." Of course, if you really just hate the thought of being called - feel free not to put your number, just be VERY careful when inputting your email address.
  • Options
    Well, that's a different way of doing things.

Maybe a good idea?
  • Options
    You hit it right on the head. Our store is not a big operation for internet leads. It's more of an incremental sales. Since I'm the "net-head" here I got offered the position. It still gives me time to work the lot and my repeats and referrals. It does get frustrating at times, specially with the ones that leave no contact phone, then flame me back for not contacting them when their e-mail address is undeliverable. Oh well, just trying to make it work.
                                 : )
                                 Mackabee
  • Options
    but you're right, its amazing how many people will put bogus email addresses in a request and then complain that nobody ever got back to them.

:)

Ed
  • Options
    We had the same problem at Priceline. Fake phone numbers more than emails.
  • Options
    afk_xafk_x Member Posts: 393
    My favorite internet customer. The one with no phone number, just an email address.

Better yet they want me to email them photographs of the exterior and interior from several angles.

Right....
  • Options
    fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    I did not realize that a phone number was required for inquiring about internet sales. Usually when I fill out the request form the e-mail address is the only personal information that is required. I do not feel that it is fair for internet salesman to fail to cooperate or communicate with a prospective buyer just because he did not provide a phone number. Many people do not wish to deal with the salesman until the actual moment of picking up the vehicle. Many of us do not want numerous car salesmen calling us at home or work. Just my .02.
  • Options
    which part of Auto-by-TEL is so hard to understand?

I will send an email (or two) if there's no other contact information, but if I don't get a sensible reply or a phone call, you're going to the bit-bucket.

Ed
  • Options
    CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    This discussion is about purchasing vehicles via the Internet, or at least inquiring about their availability and negotiating a price via e-mail and the Web. It is not just about "Auto-by-TEL" as you implied with your somewhat rude comment. As I am sure you are well aware there are lots of referral services besides Auto-by-TEL out there, not to mention the leads that are generated by manufacturers' Web sites, dealer group sites, and sites for individual dealerships. Lots of the people who are purchasing vehicles via the Internet do so because they prefer not to interact with salespeople in person or over the phone. I never purchase vehicles in this manner because I prefer to do so in person, but if I certainly can understand why someone who is attempting to purchase a vehicle over the Internet would not want to be called on the phone. If they did then they would have just called up rather than using the Web in the first place.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shoppers / FWI Message Boards
  • Options
    why would someone who was reasonably serious about buying a car fill in a request without giving someone enough information for you to help them?

We use a bunch of other referral services as well, and they all get crunched into a third party program that distributes the leads, as most other lead management software platforms do. Even our website leads get sent through a glorified filter before anyone sees them. Thus, as a result, and as I've said earlier in the thread you would see that many times when you fill in the blanks on a request (regardless of the lead provider), for whatever reason, the information doesn't always come across in a usable enough manner for the salesperson to use. Sure, you can email back and forth 50 times to find every nitpicky little piece of information you need, or you can pick up the phone. It really isn't that hard.

If someone doesn't want me calling them at home, work, whatever, I'm fine with that. I always email someone my 800-number so they can call me. However, experience CLEARLY show that leads with incomplete contact information on them are the ones that don't usually sell. Sure, there are exceptions to every rule, etc, but...the whole point of using the net for this purpose is to make the purchase experience easier for both sides. Leaving information out, being deceptive about trades, etc, is not helping anyone.

In the past 200 sales or so that I've made, only *1* has not involved the telephone at some stage.

Edit:

Lets have a little review from Edmund's own article about using the internet.

These are quotes directly from the article linked on the Edmund's home page:

"Internet Experience: Five-minute phone call

Best Price Quoted: The Internet manager gave us a price on the same car of $19,310. When we inquired about additional fees he said, "I can fax you all the fees and your out-the-door cost if you like."

Savings: $999"

"Internet Experience: A five-minute phone call

Best Price Quoted: The Internet manager gave us a price on the same car of $23,533 or $300 over invoice on the same car.

Savings: $300"

Ed
  • Options
    afk_xafk_x Member Posts: 393
    In the year I have been running the internet department I have yet to sell someone a vehicle without speaking to them on the phone.

In fact, of those people who have not provided a phone number in their initial contact I have sold exactly one.

90% of the time if they do not provide a phone number I never hear back from them again.

The 10% I do hear from have a chip on their shoulder the size of a small mountain.

"I do not feel that it is fair for internet salesman to fail to cooperate or communicate with a prospective buyer just because he did not provide a phone number"

You may not feel it is fair, but every person who is in sales has a limited amount of time to spend. If you provide no phone number you get lumped into the 10% catagory. Email is overused in business in general these days. I was just reading an article in Fortune about this topic...

My suggestion is this: once you get a phone number for the internet sales guy give him a call at your convienence. You can feel him out and see if you're comfortable with him/her or not. You can also get all the information you need real time, and you'll put yourself into the catagory you want to be in....the one that gets the most attention.

Just my advice on how to make your buying experience easy.... Take it or not, wishing it were someother way that is more fair will not change things.
  • Options
    what is the percentage of emails you get like " what is your best price on a 2003 camry?" as opposed to a request with exact color and options correctly?

I could understand if you get a lot of the first kind of request, however whenever I have emailed for a price quote I had researched the vehicle and provided details on specific options that I wanted. I usually leave the color open since I may like several colors and that gives the salesman more flexibility to help me.

Of course the problem I run into is that websites, including the manufacturers, allow you to option cars that are not in the market and cannot be ordered. This makes it very difficult for the buyer to get an idea of a good price.

As far as a phone number my take is this. If I send you an email with exact car and options and you send me back the lowest price in a return email, I will be calling you. I understand the frustration that the salesmen are expresing here, especially if they get an undeliverable email, but please try to understand the customer side of this. A friend of mine got a call almost everyday for over a month from a Landrover salesman after he stopped at his show room and gave him his home number (what an attitude they have, but that is another story). I have to go with car_man on this one. If I wanted to talk on the phone I would call you on the phone instead of email. Of course when I tried to use the phone before the internet got big, i still got the "come on down and lets see what we can do" routine.
  • Options
    I had fake emails sent also. Those were the funniest. No phone, fake email, and they'd call to yell at me about not collecting the price information for them.
  • Options
    thats just rude...i can understand an undeliverable email becaus I may have mistyped my email address, but no phone or email? How would you get the info back to me?
  • Options
    manamalmanamal Member Posts: 426
    Ok...I have an archive of all of my email since 1995.....I thought I would give two "internet" sales examples. The first one worked the way it should; the second did not.

I sent the same e-mail two 2 dealers...one posts here, the other does not.

I sent this e-mail out in mid august (some details omitted)
     --
    I am “Manamal” from the Edmunds car board. We recently bought a Sienna Minivan from one of your competitors. Now, our second car (89 Integra) is having problems. We are considering replacing it with a larger car (Camry or Accord). My question is do you have any idea what will happen with the prices for an ’03 Camry vs the ’02 camry?. We would be looking at a LE with (probably) Side Airbags and ABS. (I am not asking for a price, rather, will the price remain in the same ball park.)
    ----
     The response back was positive; I got the information I wanted. Two seeks later, I emailed back with specifics, requesting aN LE with auto and SAB; was told that to get that I would have to buy other options (that I did not want), so got a quote on a base LE W/ Auto. Deatils were worked up in a 10 minute phone call...Two days later, I bought my Camry.

----
    Second Trasaction:
    Dec '01, looking for Honda Oddessey. Sent out email to three honda dealers looking for EX price quotes and if they had any to look at. Two dealers did not reply within three days, the other replied with...come on down...we can work something out. I bought a SAAB.
  • Options
    Goes to show you how market values can affect dealers.
  • Options
    conversation before. I don't think you'd have a problem getting through. Its the ones that put "Camry" in the car field, and no further information that I'm talking about. That is about 50% of the time, at least. Phone numbers are now a required field for many of the lead providers. In other words, if you don't put one on the request, your lead isn't accepted. You'd be amazed at some of the places I've called now expecting to speak to a customer.

sheesh.

Lets also look at this another way. These leads aren't free. Our dealership pays a significant amount of money per month for them. If they aren't legitimate, then we're throwing money down the drain, right? What would YOU do if it were your money?

Ed
  • Options
    Why won't they credit you for fake leads?
  • Options
    area, not per individual lead.

This is just my opinion here, but the way I see it, the days of free price quotes might be numbered. If the dealers drop the lead providing services because of the cost-benefit ratio being too low, the only way to make the business profitable is going to be to charge for them.

I'd rather work with 200 legitimate people a month than 2000 leads with maybe 200 good ones in there.

Now, here's a question for you, would you pay $20 to submit an internet vehicle request, if you knew that you were going to be getting something for your investment?

Ed
  • Options
    I worked for a company that charged $50 for a successful transaction, and some of those people actually thought they had to pay regardless of the results.

No, I wouldn't pay $20 myself, but I'd pay $5 for a service that sent my request and kept me anonymous until I requested contact.
  • Options
    manamalmanamal Member Posts: 426
    I would not pay $20 for the service; I wouldn't pay $5 for the service. I would probably just call around to the dealers directly.

The thing is, what am I paying for? The contact. However, I do not know if the contact is good. Now if they could give the best deal...then...

Oh wait, what is a good deal anyway? (sorry)
  • Options
    dustidusti Member Posts: 36
    the price is way too high already.

i think the dealer should pay the customer.

investing a few bucks would give them an incentive to respond.
  • Options
    thanks for the answers

What you brought up about the leads is exactly what I see as the problem. I as the customer am making a request for a price quote. I do not know, nor do I care that your dealership is paying for this lead from a third party. My perception is I am emailing you. My personal opinon is that if the dealership does not have enough money or resources to devote to a dedicated internet dept they do not need to be in that ballgame. There is way too much of this third party b2b crap going on now a days and in the long run all it does is drive up the price to the buyer. Like you said, your dealership pays for the leads. What about if my email just showed up in your IN BOX? How much does the dealeship have to pay for that? Nothing.

Now raybear has an interesting concept. I agree with what he posted. You and I have discussed this before, and I may be maistaken, but I stick by my assertion that the printed material that I recieved from ABT in 1996 said that they could get me a car at dealer invoice price, and they did. And even though I provided them my phone number then, it was not required. I just told them the car I wanted and they sent me back a prefered dealer in my area that had preagreed with them to sell the car at invoice. The dealer was using ABT to get leads that it otherwise might not have. I know this sounds contidictory to what I posted above, but the reason I bring it up is to emphasize raybears point. No I would not pay to just ask you for an email price quote, but I might pay the fee the raybear mentioned if I was guaranteed from the third party a certain price point.

I know that I am comparing apples and oranges here. We have discussed many times before how the internet of the 90's and the internet today are different. Unfortunately buying a car today is no different from what it was in the 50's or 60's despite all of the technological innovation.
    The more things change the more they stay the same.
  • Options
    rivertownrivertown Member Posts: 928
    I bought my new car over the net last month. It worked great.

I made quote requests to dealers within my drive radius, from their sites, links to which I got from the Honda USA site. I asked for a quote on an '02 Si, not specifying color because I didn't much care and not specifying options because I didn't want any and not including TTL. I gave no ID info other than an e-mail address I'd set up to receive replies. When the form required a phone number, I put in a fake, along with a request to contact me by e-mail only. Same thing with required address fields, other than city and state. A bunch of replies came in; I bought a car; a dealer made a sale. Worked for me. Details:

One dealer replied with a 'no haggle' price and a comment about not bargaining. Price was invoice + $500. I thanked her and deleted. Got an e-mail two days later with a better price, still over invoice. I filed it.

One dealer asked 'how I'd feel about a deal a little over invoice'. I told him I'd gotten quotes below invoice but that I appreciated his reply. He e-mailed back, "Sorry, that quote was on an '03. How about $200 under invoice?" I thanked him and said I'd get back with him.

One dealer referred me to his newspaper ad with 02's at 16K Worked for me. TY in reply.

One dealer, a big one 200 miles away, quoted 15.7K and gave the colors he had in stock. Worked for me. TY in reply.

One dealer, 500 miles away, quoted $15, 054. I asked him to confirm that was out the door, including everything except TTL. He did. TY in reply.

One dealer sent several e-mails, never quoting a price. I replied to the first one, asking for a quote - OTD, minus TTL on an '02 Si, any already installed options, and any color. I quit replying to his e-mails when no quote showed up.

I picked a deal, close by, 15.8K. Wrote the dealers who had provided quotes saying I'd bought a car in my neighborhood @ 15.8K and thanking them. Several replied with TY for the info, congrats, 'enjoy the car', etc. One is still sending me e-mail, LOL. Next time I'm shopping for a new Honda, I'll start with the best contacts I had this time; and do the same thing.

FWIW, dealers with net sites that include an inventory search and a quote request form or internet sales e-mail address can sell me a new car at a competitive price with less than 10 min time expended. One did, LOL. My sale would have been even quicker if they hadn't put out the Si with 200+ miles on it for me. It took an additional 10 min to find one with 22 miles, the same color.

Pay for a net quote? Sure! Right after dealers start paying me to come into the show room. My final price did include mats, muds, stripe, and "advertising fee" - over the 15.8K. I was told the "advertising fee" paid the net site fee. I split the advertising fee in return for the mats, muds, and stripe - saying, "Remember, 15.8K + TTL."
  • Options
    a dealer after he collects the 20...

from saying "come on down and read the sticker!"

sure a dealer could promise to give a credible quote, but maybe to a dealer...

MSRP IS a credible quote.

unworkable

on the other hand, if the dealer were to pay the customer the 20...

i'm sure most customers would be willing to promise not to shop it (much)

that's workable
  • Options
    thanks. Proves again that those who post here don't represent the majority (on either side of the desk).

Ed
  • Options
    between a no-hassle internet offer

and a regular offer?

with a regular offer a customer can...

reject,accept,counter-offer,shop, negotiate, sit on, do about anything he wants to with it...

with a no-hassle internet offer a customer could also ...

reject,accept,counter-offer,shop, negotiate, sit on, do about anything he wants to with it...

except for the fact that the words "no-hassle" and "internet" transform the customer into a pacifistic, obliging zombie.

..so in answer to the question posed by this thread.

nope -can't be done.
  • Options
    since i'm not currently in the market.

can't beat that.

where's my 20$?
  • Options
    bgt1bgt1 Member Posts: 50
    Sure its "proper" to negotiate an internet offer/sale.

But, as stated before, the offer is usually lower than the initial offer done if you were to walk in the showeroom.

But, I have found it VERY hard to do any serious negotiations via internet/email. Most salespeople dont want to commit on their lowest price till you come in. They dont want to hand out their best price over an email.
  • Options
    We may buy a new car this year, and I had thought about making our offers over the internet. However, I think they would be more likely to accept a low offer if we are there in person with our checkbook in hand, so we will do it that way instead.