Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you experience loading issues with the login/register form, please completely disable ad blocker or use an incognito or in-private window to log in.

VW Touareg SUV

Comments

• Sorry I didn't get to respond to ur post earlier....heavy travel last few weeks interupted by tons of snow in the NE.

My comment about the ML pertained to ME personally, not specifically the vehicle. The ML is an excellent SUV for its intended job, albeit the initial reliablility problems that plagued the ML in its first few years.

My problem is that we (my wife and I) don't really need an SUV...I want one for the occasional time we need to haul stuff around and constantly have to ask a friend with an SUV to help out. My Passat does just about everything we need, except in those large volume occasions.

But, back to the ML, I have test drove it and like it, but not enough to rush back and sign up for one. My wife is on the short side, had difficulties in getting up and out of the vehicle, which I had to consider. The step-in is certainly not car like. So, unless I come up with something more car like, I'm still looking. Maybe the FX or the Touareg will fill my needs.
  • Paul Miller VW [Mr Paul Miller's words] tells me that a $2500 deposit I made with Visa for a Touareg delivery in the spring will not be refunded although they cannot deliver the vehicle I need until the fall [I specified in writing "VW telematics by Onstar"]. Who is crazy here? I find it hard to imagine that Visa or VW USA would be sympathetic to a "You have a contract" position by the dealership at this early date when VW wants this launch to be happy for all and initally at least demand is supposed to far exceed supply. At this point I am soured on the whole VW idea - I have been buying new cars for 45 years and never seen this before. Any ideas?
    ....RBS
  • steverstever Posts: 52,683
    Dispute the charge with VISA.

Or contact the State Attorney General (Consumer Protection Office or whatever your state calls it).

Or hire a lawyer and send a demand letter.

Or contact the BBB and/or the VW "zone manager."

Or picket the dealer, call the TV stations ....

Or complain about the dealer on Town Hall :-)

Or some combination of the above.

Steve, Host
  • vwguildvwguild Posts: 1,620
    I feel your pain, but why would you give anyone a $2500 deposit on a vehicle that is so far out?
    And $2500???

I have posted here more than once that US Touaregs don't begin production until April, with original deliveries late May; early June.
    This has now been pushed back a month or so...Fall, to me is October...

On Star will be a component option...We even have a required course/overview on Telematics.

Did you sign anything indicating that the Deposit was non-refundable?
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    schedule an appointment with the sales manager. Calmly tell him that you need your deposit back, now. Be nice, but firm. In the meantime, contest the charge with Visa. Don't go to the lawyer until you've tried nicely. If the sales manager is a jerk, then call your lawyer. It shouldn't cost too much to have your lawyer write a demand letter.
  • Don't know about Ct. but I recently read that deposits on cars are fully refundable right up until just before you sign the title and take the keys.

The State Attorney General should be able to tell you your rights.
  • In the promotional material I've seen from Porsche, the Cayenne will have some sort of integrated towbar mechanism. It looks like a pivoting arm that drops down from the undercarriage with a built-in ball on the end.

Will the Touareg have a similar mechanism? If yes, can someone please provide some more details? Specifically:

a) Is the ball on the end replaceable to support either 1-7/8 or 2" balls?

b) What if I have a hitch-mounted bike rack that slides into a "standard" 2" receiver? Will I be able to use this with a Touareg?

Thanks.

-Alex
  • I am normally a "read only" user as I have been told that my opinions are generally welcomed but....anyhow when I saw you mention Miller in Ffld, I saw RED. They are a bunch of (edited by our friend Steve)
    A very good friend of mine lost a $1k deposit a few months ago on an '03 Expo.
    My advise is this: read the t's & c's on the back of the buyers order, specifically the delivery clause. They cannot perform (deliver the automobile) within the term defined, therefore the buyers order should be void. Have your atty. send Paulie a love letter stating this.
    Do yourself a favor, stay away from Miller, and tell all of your friends and neighbors the same. There is really no room for them in our community.
  • Has anyone received an actual invoice on the Toureg? My dealer in NJ does not have one.
    We do not get an Invoice until we actually get the car...You probably mean an Order Guide, and we don't have those yet either.

Essex Fells, NJ
  • djocksdjocks Posts: 124
    I am very interested in the VW SUV coming. BTW, I agree 100% on Miller VW of Ffld. I had experience with them on the Nissan end! You can do a lot better around the state. I just got a BMW from County line in Watertown. I can not recommend them enough. Best car buying experience I have ever had and they absolutely destroyed the competition on price as well.

I am getting into the SUV game here and have only driven my father's 2000 Lexus RX300. I am going to lease this for my wife. She puts on about 10K a year and because of work, half can be written off.

Here is where I need help.
    The comparison includes:
    1. Mercedez ML320
    2. Lexus RX300
    3. Acura MDX
    4. Nissan Murano
    6. Infiniti FX35
    7. VW touregg
    8. BMW X5 3.0

Here are the factors important for her:
    1. Easy to drive
    2. appeal (she loves the interior of the fx and the exterior of the Jeep GC)
    3. No need for a third seat, just a little extra storage
    4. leasing programs (residuals, price, maintenance)
    5. Safety (no need for off road capabilities)
    6. The standard 6 cyl. engines in all of these are plenty
    7. Snow friendly

What should be my first move?
    wins 2004 Car & Driver Best Luxury SUV/5 Best Trucks in Geneva...
  • big_guybig_guy Posts: 372
    Based on the criteria you listed, the Lexus RX300 sounds like it should fit your needs best. It provides a nice comfortable ride, gets pretty good gas mileage, will handle snowy weather nicely, has a well appointed and comfortable interior, and you should be able to swing a good deal with the RX330 in the chute ready for its debut.

The BMW is pretty sparse on cargo capacity and I hear that it doesn't handle the snow very well due to the wide stock tires.
    The Mercedes has had some reliability and built quality issues.
    The FX is more SPORT than Utility.
    The Touareg has been designed to perform both on road and off. If you don't need an SUV for going offroad why pay the exra $$ for a package that provides what you don't need?
    The MDX has a third row . . . again, if you don't need it, why get it?
    The Murano would also be a good choice but I hear that is provides a harsher ride than the Lexus.

Just my $.02.
  • ohiosuvohiosuv Posts: 33
    I agree generally with the previous post. However, my wife has the MDX (which I drive on weekends) and we are very satisfied. So it has a third row of seats that you might not need. They fold flat and you won't even know they are there. The cost of the MDX vs. RX is similar; the MDX may actually be lower. So if your not paying any more for it, what's the difference? In addition, I think it looks much better than the RX, even the new RX from what I have seen thus far.

I am in the market for a new SUV and if my wife did not already have the MDX, it would be a close call between that and the VW Touareg. I just saw the VW at the Cleveland Auto Show and it is impressive. I stood around a while and watched people's reaction and listened to their comments - this will be a big seller! Interior is superb, which is what the Volvo XC90 is lacking. I will be putting my deposit down next week to secure a position in line when the cars are delivered.
  • big_guybig_guy Posts: 372
    I just finished reading the Car and Driver comparison test which included the VW Touareg. I was rather impressed by the showing of the VW new comer. I have a lease on a Passat that will end in about two years . . . maybe by that time they will have the V10 TDI available stateside.

Here's the link;

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/comparisontests/2003/- january/0301_comparo_bradsher.xml
  • peteri44peteri44 Posts: 15
    I placed a fully refundable deposit down on a Touareg. We're number 8 on the list and the dealer expects their demo by end of May and the arrival of their first allotment by mid to late June.
        I was told that for a Touareg with the V8 (same engine I have in an 02 A8) the base price is $40,700 and fully loaded with all option packages (there are 4) will be $47000.
       We saw the car at the Chicago Auto Show and it was beautiful (but locked). VW has put out an in depth (8 page) report on the German-spec version. I'm curious if anyone knows how the US version may differ, other than the V10 engine. The German car has everything imaginable on the car. If the same vehicle appears in US dress,at $47,000 it may be the best deal in many years. Anyone have any info?
  • tcams76tcams76 Posts: 29
    Does not sound like a steal to me; do you think the resale value will be higher than a Audi? Look at the Audi A8 great car,however you take a beating resale time. Depreciation is lower on SUV's, but mainly for those that burn regular gas. Now if VW threw in free maintenance.....
    The V8 I saw at the auto show was 50k.
    Happy shopping!
    VW WOULD BE WIFE'S CAR. I LEASE THE A8. WE'LL PROBABLY BUY THE SUV. WHILE RESALE IS A CONCERN, I THINK THE TOUAREG--ON PAPER--IS THE BEST THING FOR THE MONEY. MY WIFE HAS DRIVEN THE XC90, FX35 AND THE GX470. SHE LIKED THE FX35--MOST SPORTY-BUT I HAVE ASKED HER TO HOLD OFF UNTIL SHE DRIVES THE TOUAREG. I PREFERRED THE GX470 OVER THE FX35 BUT SHE'S GOING TO DRIVE IT-NOT ME.
      I PUT DOWN THE DEPOSIT AS A PRE-EMPTIVE MOVE IN CASE SHE LIKES THE CAR. IF NOT, THERE ARE ENOUGH FX35'S AROUND AND MAYBE I CAN GET HER TO RECONSIDER THE GX470.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    At our local show the dealer confirmed that the V10 has been scrapped for the U.S. so the only engine choices here will be the V6 or V8. There was a loaded V8 on display, but I did not see any prices on it. The sales guy indicated mid-to-high forties for most well-equipped V8's. I asked about whether VW will offer loaners and free maintenance on it, and he indicted that this has not yet been decided, but he thought it was a good possibility. The display model was open so you could sit inside and check out the controls and ergonomics. I thought the materials were of very high quality and the interior was very nicely detailed.
  • deerlake7deerlake7 Posts: 172
    As a person on their second Passat, which I think it's great, I was disappointed when I saw the Touareg at the Minneapolis auto show, last night. Although it was well appointed and looked good from the outside, I found it very cramped inside. Very short on leg room, with almost a claustriphobic feeling. I thought about replacing my Toyota Highlander with one of these, but I'm going to search for something else.
    In all of the reviews I've read, interior snugness was not one of the comments. Unfortunately, I don't have any of the US specs regarding head, hip, shoulder and leg room. If they build a $50K car that weighs over 2 1/2 tons with unacceptable cabin space--they won't sell in this country (unless they wear a BMW X5 badge!
  • mml7mml7 Posts: 55
    > I was told that for a Touareg
    > with the V8 (same engine I have in
    > an 02 A8) the base price is $40,700
    > and fully loaded with all option
    > packages (there are 4) will be $47000.
    >
    > We saw the car at the Chicago Auto
    > Show and it was beautiful (but locked).
    > VW has put out an in depth (8 page)
    > report on the German-spec version.
    > I'm curious if anyone knows how the
    > US version may differ, other than
    > the V10 engine. The German car has
    > everything imaginable on the car. If the same
    > vehicle appears in US dress,at $47,000
    > it may be the best deal in many years.
    > Anyone have any info?

peteri44--

According to Car and Driver, the base price of the V8 has dropped to $39,500. I don't believe that the VW dealers have received their order decks yet, so who knows? I believe a fully loaded V8, however, tops out wll over $50K. http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/5best/2003/2003_5best- _trucks_touareg.xml

Someone snapped a picture of the sticker from the Chicago Auto show's V8. You should be able to find it in the VWVortex Touareg forum.

mike
  • moose30moose30 Posts: 1
    At the Calgary auto show Mar.15th VW reps were saying the V10 would be available in 2004 in Canada if the sulfer levels in the diesel here was to drop as it is supposed to by the latest reports.
  • tcams76tcams76 Posts: 29
    Peteri44 thanks
    At the recent Atlanta Auto Show most cars had prices posted next to the wheelwell and I was shocked when I saw the 50k plus price tag for the V8.
    I didn't really focus on the options after seeing that sticker shock.
    I think the price was like $50,650.00 or something.
    V6 starts at 34k
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    I saw it at the show too. You aren't the only one who thought it was cramped.

I also thought the Volvo SUV was cramped as well, excpet the Volvo seemed a bit more roomy in the front two spots.
  • deerlake7deerlake7 Posts: 172
    My concern on room was that there was such little leg room in the back seat, even with the front seat up rather far. If the power would have been connected and I could have moved the power seat back, I would have had to fold my 6' 15 year old up to fit back there. I felt the dash had an overly flat look with very small numerics on the instrument panel. In general,I felt the same way about the Cayanne that was next to the VW display. You can tell they are related. The XC90 didn't turn me on much either. I've driven it and I'm not sure what all the hype is.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Posts: 1,087
    Anyone know when these will hit showrooms?
    The word on VWVortex is Mid/Late Jun to Early July for the V6 and V8. The V10 diesel *might* make it by the end of 2003.

mike
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    The base twaregh might be ok at about 35 grand but anything over that I get nervous. I mean, it doens't have much more cargo space than a Jetta wagon. not much more passenger space than a Passat. Sure it has PANACHE and some good off road skills but to tote soccer balls.....

The Cayenne is a joke by the way......
    The base twaregh might be ok at about
    > 35 grand but anything over that I
    > get nervous. I mean, it doens't have
    > much more cargo space than a Jetta
    > wagon. not much more passenger space
    > than a Passat. Sure it has PANACHE
    > and some good off road skills but
    > to tote soccer balls.....

From VW's Website:

Car, Interior Volume, Cargo Seats up, Cargo Seats Down
    Jetta Wagon, 89cu ft, 34 cu ft, 51.9 cu ft
    Passat Wagon, 98cu ft, 39 cu ft, 56.5 cu ft
    Touareg, not published, 31.3cu ft, 70.9 cu ft.

That's about a 37% increase in total cargo capacity, and on par with the Nissan Murano. It pales in comparison to the Pilot (90cu ft), however.

mike