Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you experience loading issues with the login/register form, please completely disable ad blocker or use an incognito or in-private window to log in.

VW Touareg SUV

Comments

• vwguildvwguild Posts: 1,620
    May come to us in Calif. 3rd or 4th Quarter 2004,
    as opposed to end of Q1 2004 for thr rest of you...
  • poseidonposeidon Posts: 30
    How much are we expecting the sticker of the V10 TDI equipped T-reg to be?
    $51K
  • skip30skip30 Posts: 33
    The V 8 car was right at $51,000 sticker price posted at the LA Auto Show in January. I would guess the V10 TDI to be around $55,000. Skip
    It depends upon added options...2 Zone vs. 4 Zone Climatronic, Winter Pkg., etc. $51,000.00
    will include most everything but a few accessories such as these...also On Star is available as an option...
    Anything north of 50K is pretty much going to price me out of the V10/V8 game. From what I'm reading the V-6 is likely to be a bit underpowered for a 5500lbs vehicle. Guess I'll have to consider my other options.
  • starbstarb Posts: 3
    Can someone confirm the dimension of the Touareg cargo space? www.vw.com listed it as 31.3 cubic ft, while some sites listed it as 19 cubic ft.
  • allhorizonallhorizon Posts: 483
    Yes, I would like to see some confirmation on that, as well. Either the 31.3 is wrongly converted from cubic centimeters, or the 19 refers to loading to the rear cover/window height, only. Given that the Passat wagon has 39/57, I believe the latter. In fact, for a while it looked like you could deduce this information from the German VW site. But now they have some text that implies 4 values (rear folded or upright, standard cargo or cargo to roof) but they only give 2 numbers... - D.
  • I agree. Its a beautiful vehicle, and will go like stink ... but there are lots of nice cars at that price. But here's my take on the market:
    Trailer towing!
    The Touareg will tow 3500 KGs (7700 pounds).
    The Lexus RX300 (a bloated Camry) will tow only 3500 pounds.
    The Touareg's towing capacity blows away the competitors. Throw in Diesel economy and longevity, (with better ride/handling than truck-based options like the Excursion) and I think you'll see them pulling expensive travel trailers and boats and horse trailers. Hell, compared to a Range Rover (the favoured horse puller for the equine crowd) its a bargain!
  • mml7mml7 Posts: 55
    The problem with comparing volume measurements from different sources, is that they never disclose how they come up with the numbers they do.

For example, Nissan claims that the cargo capacity of a Pathfinder is about 84cubic ft. In actual everyday use, my brother's Passat wagon can actually carry more than my Pathfinder since the cargo area is squared out. The Pathfinders wheel wells cut into the cargo area reducing the width of items that you can carry to about 38", but since the overall size of the car is larger, it has a larger measured cargo area.

I've only seen a couple of places that have attempted to standardize on "usable cargo capacity", which I believe better reflects a car's load capacity. Until we can get our grubby hands on an actual car I wouldn't trust either number (19.1 or 31.3).
  • pathfinder13pathfinder13 Posts: 110
    in 405 freeway, here in southern cailfornia, and looks way better in motion.
    Do you think it was a tester or maybe the first one sold on the North American continent? Either way, can any of you VW employees shed some light about where the rest of them are?
  • pathfinder13pathfinder13 Posts: 110
    be a tester, the driver was speeding around 85mphr in carpool,while I was chasing from behind...
  • avery1avery1 Posts: 373
    What is the price going to be?
    V6 Base: $34,900 + Delivery (~$615)
    V8 Base: $40,700 + Delivery (~$615)
  • avery1avery1 Posts: 373
    Is there anyplace to get option pricing yet? Thanks.
  • starbstarb Posts: 3
    A dealer in VWVortex forum posted the pricing. Here's the link:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=827347
  • timmerc517timmerc517 Posts: 6
    Here's my dilemma: My family is replacing a 1997 Subaru Outback Limited, and, after 6 years of being behind the wheel of an underpowered station wagon, we're looking for an SUV that's not insanely big or gas-guzzling. I attended the New York Auto Show, and I have narrowed down our decision to the Infiniti FX35 and the VW Touareg V6. Given the pricing (thanks VWVortex.com!) of the Touareg, the MSRP (with air suspension & premium pkg.) seems to be about $1500 more than an Infiniti FX35 with the Premium Package. So, what I'd like to know, is if anyone has the 0-60 time of the Touareg V6. The FX seems to range from 6.9-7.1 - VERY respectable in my book, and hell, it beats what we're driving now. I doubt the Touareg will hit 60 in this time with its V6 power. I haven't come across many times however but some publications call it "anemic". However, the FX has a much more Spartan interior than the Touareg. I am leaning towards the VW after being taken aback by its EXCELLENT interior build quality. It certainly beats Infiniti, Volvo, and Saab in interior style and materials. So... any suggestions? Pay up for a slower but more luxurious VW or a faster and not-as-nice FX35? My mother will need this car (I just got my license, mind you, and I already know more about the two cars than both of my parents) to commute into Manhattan 3 times a week and merge onto several highways to get home, which is why I'm concerned about the 0-60 times. If the Touareg V6 can't merge onto a road like New York's Sprain Brook Parkway fast enough, we'll have to go for the FX35. Please share with me your thoughts (and the Touareg V6 0-60 if possible), as it is hard to be split at a time like this. Thanks!
    With the FX35 you'll need good 0-60 times, because with those huge blind spots every merge is going to be a Hail Mary...

Joking aside, these are IMO two quite different cars. Have your parents also looked at the MDX and the ML? Or if you don't need the space and luxury, how about the Forester 2.5XT? Your mom will be home an hour early in that one. Then again, maybe not, perhaps she'll go upstate for a brief but exhilarating detour. Of course, there are AWD station wagons out there that are pretty fast (A6, S6, W8 VW), so you don't have to go the SUV route.

BTW, the German VW site has 9.9s 0-100km (~0-60mph) for the V6, and 7.8s for the V8 and V10TDI.

- D.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Posts: 1,087
    I thought about waiting for the toureg but I loved the drive of the FX so much. I love the interior only fault I would say is lack of storage space. I have noticed -0- blind spots while driving and the FX is very quick. If the toureg had three rows of seats I would consider it as a stable mate for the fx but I think the MDX represents a better value plus both will probably have better reliability than the toureg. If I planned on doing off roading I would go toureg.
  • timmerc517timmerc517 Posts: 6
    Hmm... 9.9 to 100kph... could be a lot better. We considered an MDX but we already have an Acura TL (2001) and the Touareg looks/drives less like a minivan and more like a car. Plus, the MDX is a letdown in the interior refinement of the Touareg and the handling/speed of the FX35. Also, we've had Subarus for as long as I can remember, and our last purchase (1997 Outback Limited) has left us lingering for something more refined. So the Forester is out. While the Audi wagon may not be a bad idea, I prefer the "crossover" SUV's. After this winter, we decided that we needed something a tad higher than the wagon we now own (but not too high, my father's leg is acting up and he can't climb in and out of large cars easily) that had AWD. I hate the premise of SUV's, and I swore against them when we started looking for a replacement. Most of them don't drive well and have terrible gas mileage. However, these new car-based (FX35) and advanced, Porsche-designed (Touareg) SUV wannabees may not be bonafied SUV's - but that's not a bad thing in my opinion. These two cars seem to get superior gas mileage than most conventional SUV's (and some wagons as well) and aren't as high up or tipsy. I compared the length/width/height of the FX35 and Touareg to our Subaru and they seem to be pretty equal, give or take 1-2 inches. Our spending limit is $40,000. The V10 TDI is an INCREDIBLE feat in diesel technology (yes, there still is such a thing) and I love the combined benefits of torque, speed, and gas mileage. However, the price may be over the spending limits. Since this car is going to be a "family car" and, as much as my father and I would probably like it to go as fast as the FX35 (hehe), speed is obviously not the main concern in a family car. we're leaning more to the Touareg V6. It has exemplirary build quality and it CAN'T be as underpowered as our Outback.
  • 2heeldrive2heeldrive Posts: 87
    I don't see anyone buying the T as a tow vehicle regardless of the "tow rating." 7700 pounds is an absurd figure for a 4900 pound short wheelbase vehicle from a company with no reputation or experience building "big" trucks.
    > However, these new car-based (FX35)
    > and advanced, Porsche-designed (Touareg)
    > SUV wannabees may not be bonafied SUV's

The Porsche Cayenne and VW Touareg were both designed to be true off roaders. Or is that not what you meant by them not being "bonafied SUV's"?

mike
  • dieselbreathdieselbreath Posts: 243
    Next time you see a 2-ton Fed-Ex van with a "Freightliner" sticker above the rear license take a good look at one of the most popular mid-duty trucks in Europe/Africa/Asia from VW.
    (here's the new model:
    http://www.vw-utzfahrzeuge.ch/vwnf/nut_lt_kas.jsp)

That platform is also the full-sized ambulance in much of the world because it is rugged and reliable. Besides the Freightliner name, I saw one at the car show in the Benz/Chrysler area with a Dodge grill. Its pretty weird to see a VW truck wearing Dodge badges, but since VW vans have been wearing Mercedes logos for over a decade, and then Benz buying Chrysler, it sortof makes sense.
    BTW: Due to a depressed market, VW's sales of trucks has dropped below 1/4 million annually.
    But "no reputation or experience building "big" trucks" ???
    When your trucks are re-labeled by Mercedes, Freightliner and now Dodge, and your Diesel engines are powering VWs, Mercedes, Audis, Volvos, Toyotas, commercial boats and off-shore racing boats, and your "90 HP" Golf TDI beats Subaru and the Toyota Celica in SCCA Rally racing because Toyota can't match VWs reliability ... I'd recommend doing some research.
    >> from a company with no reputation or experience building "big" trucks

Scott, what do you consider big? The VW LT46 has a cargo capacity of 5000lbs and can tow over 4000lbs.

VW has build trucks for 50 years or so.

- D.
  • sc430pilotsc430pilot Posts: 6
    As the Touareg has been on sale in Europe, I'd like to find out about owner experience with quality, performance, ride/handling, reliability, etc. Anyone know of other forums, etc. where this info. can be found?
  • steverstever Posts: 52,683
    Try a net search - management frowns on promoting competing forums on Town Hall. Thanks.

Steve, Host
  • 2heeldrive2heeldrive Posts: 87
    Dietmar, et al:

In the US our roads are generally wide and are designed to carry large loads. We look at trucks very differently than the rest of the world does. A personal heavy duty "pickup" truck or a full size SUV can be purchased here for around $30,0000US, with a gas engine, that will tow 12,000 pounds all day long. That's how we define and use a big truck. It's just like the way you might use a high performance German automobile on the autobahn that would be happy running 155mph+ as long as desired (or as traffic will allow).

I should have been more specific when I said VW has no experience building trucks, I meant personal trucks not commercial vehicles. The last personal truck that volkswagen imported to the US was based on the original Rabbit. The US personal truck market is not an easy one to take on. It took Toyota 3 tries to figure out the US market for full size pickup trucks and still is only competing in the light duty market.

I think that the Touareg/ Cayenne is an extremely interesting vehicle, but in my opinion, it's not a truck or a serious tow vehicle.
  • bigeddybigeddy Posts: 181
    2heeldrive: "I think that the Touareg/ Cayenne is an extremely interesting vehicle, but in my opinion, it's not a truck or a serious tow vehicle."

What did you have in mind? It will tow a 25-ft Airstream comfortably. The car versus truck debate might have made sense 10+ years ago but today we have so much shared design & technology that labels become meaningless.
    Scott,

I agree it is very difficult to get into the US truck market. But the Touareg is an SUV, so many people will buy it the same way they buy an MDX or a Pilot regardless of the fact that Honda does not have the F450 equivalent in their line-up. The main problem with the Touareg is that it is about 6 years too late. VWs market forecasting division should have been fired and replaced 5 years ago, but that is another story.

And with regard to its towing capability, we'll have to see. I wouldn't discount it based on how it looks... Also, don't forget that manufacturers (or their lawyers) are very conservative when it comes to US towing capacity numbers. It is not unusual to find the same vehicle rated at 50% more in Europe than in the US.

- D.