Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew Cafe

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I think for '05, but I'm not sure.

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The last one arrived in '99, so that's a looo-ong life cycle.

Sienna is getting all the attention now, prices on Odys are way down. No more MSRP, no more wait lists.

-juice
    As posted by Jon over at nasioc:

I have found a copy of the letter that NHTSA's Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) sent to SOA informing them of the investigation and requesting all information that SOA may have about the possible defect. It's at, http://152.122.48.12/prepos/files/A...03029-15746.pdf. The last 45 pages of that document consists of the 45 complaint forms (names and addresses blacked out) that prompted the investigation. SOA was supposed to supply the requested information by August 20, 2003.

Bob
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Bob -- the link doesn't work.

Ken
    I noticed that too...

Go to nasioc, "News & Views" forums. There's a thread devoted to this. For some reason the link there does work, but not here(?). All I did was a copy and paste. Why it's not working, I have no idea.

Bob
    • Is it just '02-'03 WRXs? What about TS, RS and Outback Sport models? Don't they all have the same brake system?

• What about '04 models? Has Subaru made any brake changes to the current model on sale?

Bob
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    I'm hoping that the EBD on the '04 will remedy the concern.
    Bob,

I've noticed something like that happening once briefly on my 98 Forester. I was coming to a stop at an intersection that was kind of bumpy and rutted. I was on the brakes, hit a bump and it felt like I didn't have any brakes for a second. I think the tires must have locked up as they were bouncing and then ABS kicked in to release them.

Ken
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Yup those Isuzu engineers think of everything :)

-mike
    of who's idea (Isuzu or GM engineers) it was, it's a great idea, and I hope other pickup brands will also use it too.

Bob
    So now it's pre-riced out! For the lazy youth of today :)

-mike
  • ghostwheelghostwheel Member Posts: 3
    I saw an Outback taxi on my way to work this morning! It was a Yellow Cab taxi, entirely orange paint job w/black lettering and still had all the badging (Outback, AWD etc). They added a horizontal grab bar below the license plate on the rear hatch, about 2-1/2 ft long.

I did a triple-take...haven't seen one around here before.
    Where was this? Was it a current model?

Bob
  • ghostwheelghostwheel Member Posts: 3
    I'm in Northern Virginia. This was in the Tyson's Corner area.

Not sure if it's a current model. I'm not as familiar with the Legacy/OB line but the paint job looked new.

I usually have my camera with me so if I see it again I'll get a shot.
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    A local cab company in West Chester, PA (west of Philadelphia) also has an Outback wagon taxi. IIRC, it was a 1st generation OBW.

DaveM
    Tysons Corner can afford a better class of taxi, as it's not an area that's hurting for money . :)

Bob
    I bet EBD fixes the brake issue. I've only heard of it affecting WRXs, Hutch's for instance.

Great idea, indeed, for that Isuzu Colorado. They designed it.

That RIO is knee-slapper funny. I guess that makes the STi an exotic, when other start to mimic it.

Suzuki imitated the Outback with their Esteem wagon, two-tone and all.

Taxis? Wow. I guess low operating costs are a plus.

-juice
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Not new to me. All the Subaru ['97 OB, '98 OB, '99 OBS & '03 WRX] I've driven exhibit this so called ABS (problem) quirk. It has only been noticed since the arrival of the WRX... those kids were driving way too fast for the road condition. The majority will have one thing in common; that's going [fast] over rough/bumpy surface when they wet their pants applying the brakes.
    OEM Brakes used on Subaru are mighty good IMHO, at least on the '98 OB when the ABS fused was removed.
    The wheels lock-up tight before you could even finish saying "One Thousand One " when you floor it.

-Dave
    On my '00 Trooper, my dad's '97 Legacy, uncle's '97 Outback, cousin's '00 Outback, Uncle's TLS Type S, and just about any other car that has 4-wheel ABS on it.

-mike
    Ditto here too. I experienced it once braking into an intersection on a downhill. It was pitch dark and I didn't see the water covered potholes right before the stop sign. I was on my brakes when I hit the series of potholes, my wheels locked up, ABS kicked in and I stopped well into the intersection.

I agree with Dave that the type of driver that the WRX sometimes attracts has magnified what I think is a inevitable quirk of ABS. Some owners even blame it on the fact that the USDM WRX doesn't come with 17" wheels!

I thought Subaru extensively tests their ABS on the gravel roads in Australia (read that somewhere).

Ken
    "We are confident that people will be able to distinguish between this car and the WRX. For a start, there is a slight difference in the acceleration figures"

LOL! But seriously, the fact that there is a body kit out there is proof that a cheap disguise is good enough for some.

Ken
    Bumpy roads are tricky, even without ABS you'll get lockup off and on.

I think the thing with the WRX was that when a single ABS sensor went off, you lost power to all four brakes. A properly tuned 4 channel system would only release braking power to that one single wheel.

-juice
    there were several accidents that resulted from this.

Bob
    And there are several that are results of the RE92s, and of people driving like complete idiots....

-mike
  • lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    I think it is premature for anyone to call a vintage a great one when no one has actually made a single drop of wine. Hot weather is a good indicator, but can also have its own pratfalls. Grapes may achieve sugar ripeness before mature physiological ripeness, and if is too hot, it can "burn" the flavors in the grape. Lastly of course the fruit can overripen if not harvested properly. It's awfully early to start pulling in fruit, but harvest is underway in many parts of France and the rest of Europe. Excessive heat and drought shut down grape vines, so only winemakers who carefully sort out burnt fruit and unripe fruit (because the clusters shut down) are going to do well. Also, this much heat will drive sugar levels way up and prevent the grapes from acheiving proper levels of acidity, which will not portend good things for long term ageing.

Anyone who proclaims this year a great vintage as of now, 8/26, is just trying to sound like a guru. I'm waiting to hear what the final harvest reports for the various regions have to say, and what the wines taste like in barrel this Spring.
    Interesting. I knew I'd get a different story from you. The report I heard on the news made it sound like it was going to be a good year for cabernet sauvignon.

Ken
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    I experienced it in my '97 OBS as well as the '03 WRX. I could reproduce it in either car, by applying the brakes on bumpy surface.

I don't necessarily have to be going fast either (30-35 mph). I never thought it was an "issue", and simply lifted my foot and reapplied pressure on the brake pedal. Or it corrected itself within a second or so. It happens with less drama after switching to summer tires.

-Dennis
    No, I don't have to go fast to create the quirk on all the Subies I drove; like Dennis said, 30-35mph can produce it. So far, I do not notice any extension of braking distance, unless I'm travelling considerably faster. Can't see how one [a complaint] can't get the car to slow down @ 7mph. Maybe he/she had the wheels cleaned that day that the brakes were so grippy the ABS kicked in.
    Oh, noticed all the compliants were so... within the posted speed limits. ;-)

-Dave
    30-35 in all the cars i've tested this in over bumpy/potholed surfaces.

-mike
    is a HUGE improvement over the outgoing model.

http://www.swedespeed.com/

Click on the image for more info and pixs. There will be an AWD version, so more competition for the all-new Legacy.

The new Volvo S40 is being introduced with a choice of 5-cylinder engines with the 220 hp T5 model topping the range, as well as a 4-cylinder turbodiesel with a power output of 136 hp. The Volvo S40 T5 can also be specified in an AWD version, that is to say with Volvo's electronically controlled four-wheel drive, and with a 6-speed manual gearbox. In 2004, the engine range will be supplemented with 4-cylinder petrol engines.

Bob
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    How is it that the Subaru topics can let other sites with forums be linked to in some (not all) messages, but if you post an url that just happens to have a forum in it elsewhere in TownHall, it is immediately deleted and the poster is served the membership agreement?

-Brian
    Welcome to my world. I can't tell you how many posts of mine have been deleted for that very reason. :(

Bob
    Bob - you knew, how? None of your fleet is affected, is it?

The S40 is kinda small to compete with the Legacy, especially the 2005 Legacy. It might be close in size to the Impreza.

-juice
    this was a problem somewhere recently. I don't remember where however. I just assumed a recall would follow.

S40 may be small, but still very nice. My guess is that it will fall right in between the Legacy and Impreza in size, just as the S60 is a bit bigger than the Legacy.

The S60 has a wheelbase of ~ 108". The all-new Legacy's wheelbase is 105.1" and the Impreza's is 99.4". I bet the S40 has a wheelbase of ~ 103".

Bob
    The way they are shaped, the S60 is tight inside, while the V70 is very roomy. See why I love boxy?

S60 is roomier than a Legacy sedan, but not wagon. It might have more legroom (that's where the wheelbase pays off) but definitely not head room.

-juice
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    What's up with the Dinan models of BMW's? I happened to see a 2 door "X" model today. Looks like a 3 series, similar to the M3.

-Brian
    Slow weekend. Anyone do anything fun?

I told my wife about the Surveyor and that's all she talks about now.

-juice
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Uhhmmm....this isn't even remotely Subaru related, but I had an incredibly busy weekend. House full of relatives from all over the country arrived last Friday to attend my son's Court of Honor on Sunday. He achieved the Eagle rank in Boy Scouts.

Oh wait...my bro-in-law is car shopping and he asked me what he should consider. I told him he should check out Subaru.

There, I did manage to keep it on topic! :-)
    Anything goes in the Crew.

We drove up to Baltimore, went to Discovery Zone, nothing too exciting.

I can't believe I visited my dad and forgot to take a look at the damage on my sister's Forester. What was I thinking?

-juice
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    Brian,

Dinan is a tuner. If they actually have showrooms and sell "new" cars that is news to me (but possible). I've never had any interest in learning about them to be honest.

Karen,

Congratulations to your son! I never made it that far but do remember being a boy scout. And we don't care about if it's a Subaru topic here in the Cafe right? :)

-Colin
    I never even made Bear, I think I stopped at Wolf.

-juice
  • joybelljoybell Member Posts: 275
    for a good run up and down the hills. It was a joy to drive. This is the first real trip I made with my new Forester, and it is now finally broken in.
    Cool, now don't forget to rev it up at least once per tankfull to keep carbon deposits from forming in the pistons. Besides, it's fun. ;-)

-juice
  • ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    food alert ...
    there is a huge "blueberry festival" on labor day weekend about 20 miles from here .. usually draws about 1/2 million people over 4 days .. lots of good food, booths, rides, etc ...

we had planned to go on sunday, but after some unexpected things here, we got off a bit later than we wanted, got a few miles down the highway (one basic way there) and got into a traffic jam that made us believe there was a wreck ahead, so we turned around and went out to eat instead ...

on monday, we decided to try it again .. even though it was raining .. we bundled up in sweatshirts and raincoats and off we went .. ate our way from one end to the other ... from crawfish etouffee over jambalaya to turkey legs to deep fried candy bars ... lol

then we waddled to the outback which brought us safely home through the rain ..
    I thought the Akela (Wolf) is reserve for the female scout leader? My Dad was the Baloo (Bear) and back then the scouts did more than Jamborees, at least during the Japanese occupation of Singapore, they were spies/informants and couriers for the British.

I never made it pass "Cub"

-Dave
    I'm an Eagle Scout! :) No palms for me though, I just finished in time for my 18th B-day which is the cutoff!

-mike