Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti G35 Coupe

Comments

• Options
    murrowmurrow Member Posts: 72
    Every manufacturer makes changes from model year to model year, even if they are subtle. I'm surprised you're taken aback by this. Rule of thumb -- NEVER listen to the salesman -- EVER. Remember -- his goal is to sell you car NOW, not in 3 months when he probably won't be working there anymore. I wish dealers would eliminate the salesmen and let me simply pick the car I want off the lot (or order it via computer) and eliminate the middle man (and his commission). All car salesmen are sleazeballs, and the ones who aren't when they go into the business are corrupted by the aniquated selling system that is protected by antiquated dealer franchise laws is just about every state.

And oh yeah... one more change for '06 -- the spolier. It's much better-integrated than the old one. I hated the old one (mine doesn't have it.) I don't love the new one either, but I hate it less.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Why do you really care? You're only stuck with it for the duration of your lease.

I say "stuck with it" because my wife & I went to two local relatives homes today for Christmas visits in her '04 G35. (I've only been in that car a few times before).

That car is hard to get in and out of, unless you're 5 ft tall, has a harsh ride, uncomfortable seats and alot of road noise. But it does have power!

Now laugh, but my '05 Hyundai Sonata has a better ride, more comfortable seats and is much, much quieter. The 170 HP in my Sonata is adequate, while the G35 screams. ('06 Sonata is 235 HP). I'd rate the ride quality of her G35 to the '93 Saturn SC she had years ago, which is to say p-poor.

I dread having to ride in her G35 tomorrow to see relatives 40 miles away.
  • Options
    I agree. It's a lease, for pete's sake. It's not like it's affecting your resale value. And it's not like anyone but the most eagle-eyed observer will be able to tell the difference. When you buy a car in October, you risk the model being slightly or radically changed in just a matter of weeks. I bought mine in September, and I took the same chance.

As for the seats, I grudgingly have to agree. They're not comfortable to me, particularly the leg bolsters that extend all the way to the front of the seat cushion. Too constraining for my taste. The seats in my '03 Acura CL were much more comfortable. But this car feels way more powerful.
  • Options
    peterny19peterny19 Member Posts: 12
    Yea, i guess you guys are right except for bhmr59i dont think its as bad as you say, even thought it is a bit noisy inside, my previous bmw 530i was much quieter but what do you expect. i only leased the car for 30 months cant wait for the next gen M3 Coupe. Thanks alot guys you were a big help, it really isnt a big deal, i love the car anyway.
  • Options
    Out of curiosity, bhmr59, which size wheels do you have? I have the standard 17s, and I think the ride is pretty good. But obviously, the ride is going to deteriorate with the 18s and especially the 19s.
  • Options
    Actually it's my wife's car. Tires/wheels are 255(?)x50x17. Saw that earlier today but don't remember the width for sure.

The ride, IMO is quite harsh. 40 highway miles today (each way) to visit relatives. Loud tire and wind noise, about as loud as my last car, a '91 LeBaron GTC convertible. Noticed today, also, that the interior door release latches are plastic, something the new Azera has been criticized for.

My wife likes the car (at least she wouldn't admit to not liking it), that's what counts. The whrrrring sound of the exhaust is very irritating to me.
  • Options
    I happened to be at the dealer today for some maintenance. I noticed another change for '06, one that is a HUUUUGE improvement. The XM satellite radio antenna is now very tiny and low profile. You hardly see it there. That compares to the huge black wart on the roof of my white car. At the dealer, I also noticed the vast majority of '06 G35s were equipped with factory sat radio. When I bought my '05 in September, none of the Gs at any of the 3 I visited had sat radio installed at the factory. Mine had to be installed as a dealer option.
  • Options
    wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    That's kind of an apples to oranges comparison I think.

The mission for the G35 coupe is not far off the 350Z. There's supposed to be a far greater connection with the road than in a typical passenger sedan. Frankly, a stiffer ride and more noticeable road noise (within reason, of course) are not only acceptable to me, but preferred as part of a more sport-oriented experience, bhmr59. I'd imagine the trade-off would become immediately apparent on a twisty back road at speed!

Sometimes sport coupes get purchased for reasons associated with the joy of driving, and sometimes they get snapped up for the look. Either way, I guess as long as your wife is happy with it, and you're happy with your car, then all is right with the world!

I'll be headed for the 19" wheel package, though 18" would be fine by me, but they're not available with the firmer sport suspension which I find a must-have.

The brochure showed up on Christmas Eve. I like their red and their white. I'll never own a black car again, and the rest of the palette is varied silver/grey (even the blues!) of which there's too much on the roads these days, except for the gold which screams either "realtor-wannabe" or "retired orthodontist" to me. ;)
  • Options
    lordblordb Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking about buying the 6MT G35 Coupe, however I have never owned a MT car before. I know how to drive a manual, and can drive my friend's 240sx with relative ease (read:I can get from point A to point B without stalling). However, I did learn how to drive a manual on a civic with a short-shifter, and I always had trouble finding the gear. I am wondering if the transmission is hard to figure, especially with my limited exposure to MT. Is it a good idea for my first MT car to be a G35? I want to test drive this baby, but not if I am going to have incredible difficulty with it (in which case, I will just have to look at a different car to purchase). Thanks for your input in time.
  • Options
    wbr99wbr99 Member Posts: 51
    Lordb,

The 6MT G35 isn't be that hard to drive since you already know how to drive a MT. I've seen my co-worker buy a MT Mazda RX8 without any MT experience and now she loves her car. I wouldn't worry about the G35 being your first MT. But dont take my word for it. Go for the test drive and see for yourself. :)

HTH
    Wally
  • Options
    ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858

The 6MT G35 isn't be that hard to drive since you already know how to drive a MT. Go for the test drive and see for yourself.

.....99 offers a good idea (test drive it)

..prior to buying an Accord 6M coupe, I found the G35c 6-speed gearbox/synchro "feel" reflected more effort than my 1969 Corvette.........which had big, heavy gears.....

Pick a day when it's convenient, drive two or three 6-speed transmission-equipped cars.......then you'll be more in tune with your own "style"......

best, ez....
  • Options
    gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    bhmr59,

Like someone mentioned earlier “this is a sport car”. Thus, it will feel and rides like a sport car. At the beginning of this year, I bought this car based on style and HP. First, I tested drive the 1 with sport tune suspension with 19” wheel. I was not that excited because my 3 years old Avalon is smother and quieter. My friend spend about 2 hours try to tell me that it’s not the car, it’s me.

At last, I decided to get the coup without sport tune and 17” wheels with premium package. After a couple weeks, I really love the car. Every time I drive the Altima or Camry, I don’t like them at all. It’s just way too soft.

Talking about the noise from the exhaust, this is perfect for a sport to get the feeling of oooozzzz and ahhhhh (the power!). I just think it doesn’t look right if this car does not make the noise at all. :P
  • Options
    freshwaterfreshwater Member Posts: 92
    I live in chicago and just bought G35 coupe with 17" Goodyear RSA All season tires as OEM. I am a bit concern how reliable they will be in Snow driving. I commute 40 miles each day.

I read some posts talking about getting Bridgestone blizzak for winter driving.

Any advice before I skid into a ditch !!!!
  • Options
    mnrep2mnrep2 Member Posts: 200
    If you can still find them, snows would be highly recomended. I have heard a lot of people swear by the Dunlop Sport m3 winter tire.
  • Options
    mnrep2mnrep2 Member Posts: 200
    If you can still find them, snows would be highly recommended. I have heard a lot of people swear by the Dunlop Sport m3 winter tire.
  • Options
    newfrontiernewfrontier Member Posts: 36
    I have similar concerns as others about this car. I am coming off lease for my 2003 BMW 325xi. I decided that I wanted a sports car rather than another sedan, and focused my attention on the G35 coupe as a good "compromise" (I commute about 32 miles each way in about half-and-half highway/backroads, and thought that the G35 coupe would provide good sports car handling and performance while having a reasonably high comfort factor). I test drove a 2006 G35 6MT this weekend on part of my commuting route and was surprised at the amout of road noise. Not engine noise, but (I presume, due to the 19s and sport suspension), tire and suspension noise. At the same time, my 325xi was at the dealer and I was driving a new, 2006 325i loaner. Although I was not even considering a new 3 series, after driving the G35, and then back to either my car or the new 3, I am really unsure about the Infiniti. The BMW provides a pretty sporty ride while being considerably quieter on the highway. I would probably opt for a 330i (that's another issue: is the increase hp and torque of the 330i worth the price over the 325i? In past years I would say yes, but for 2006 I'm not so sure.), which should come fairly close to the G35 in acceleration. Also, the BMW handles pretty well for a sedan, and has a superior interior (better materials, more up to date controls, etc.). Anyone else having the same conflict? Will I get used to the G35 coupe, or just get annoyed with it after a while? BTW, the Infiniti dealer is very accommodating, offering to loan me a car for a day or two to "live with it". This should be what tips the balance for me.
  • Options
    arts4arts4 Member Posts: 4
    I live in the Chicago area as well. My Coupe has the 19 wheel package. It sucked in the snow - UNTIL - I bought a set of Blizzak LM-22 snow tires and ET40 wheels from Tire Rack and - Now my car is great in the snow. I cannot believe the difference these tires make. It's like a new car. With those wheels, it even looks OK -
  • Options
    arts4,

what was the brand name of the tires you had before you change to blizzak. I was told by the salesperson that 17 inch wheel comes with All season RSA but 18/19 comes with high performance summer tires and those tires need to be replaced for winter.

why you need to buy the wheels does Blizzak wont fit on 19" wheels.
  • Options
    Newfrontier i know what you mean when you say road noise. I leased a 2005 g35 auto premium pkg around 3 months ago. Before this car i had a 2001 BMW 530i which was great and i didnt get any road noise. I notice the noise alot in the g35 especially when it rains, i visited bmw to look at the 2006 330i but i felt they wanted too much money. I love the g35's performance and when it gets a little loud i just turn the volume up a bit. If you have the money go for the 330i if you can settle with the noise its almost as good.
  • Options
    raizelgsraizelgs Member Posts: 84
    Freshwater
    I have the sport suspension package with 19 inch wheels. The OEM tires were Bridestone Potenzas. I bought a set of 18" wheels and Dunlop MP3's. We haven't had much snow yet (Detroit) but in the last 6 inch snowfall, the MP3s were fine. They seem to very good wet :) weather tires also. I have only broken loose when I push the car on ice. That would break anything loose except real studs.

I have heard good things about the Blizzaks also. I think the dealer sells Blizzaks, but I got mine at Discount Tire.
  • Options
    Mine are OEM 17" All season Goodyear RSA. I will see when we get the first snow and will check with the dealer what he recommend. Do we need to change all 4 tires or just the 2 Rears .Does the sensor need to be moved to the winter tires and where are the sensor located on the tires.
    How much dealer charge to put new tires or just order them thru Tire rack and then take it to some work shop. I think the Dealer might charge me a ton of money to replace tires or even to put them on.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Anything over a couple inches and you'll wish for snows. RSAa aren't worth spit in anything more, IMO.

Go all four, and follow Tire Rack's sizing guide. If you purchase through the Rack, they can recommend a shop near you for mounting. Best thing would be to get them shipped already mounted on new steel wheels. then you can switch them out yourself or take them to the nearest service station for a quick change.

On the subject of Goodyear rubber, I run the Eagle F1 GS-D3 as a summer max performance tire. It's oustanding in the dry, and unparalleled in the rain. No snow, no way. I'd heartily recommend it as a replacement over any variant of Potenza. I replaced RE040s with them, and I think the noise issue discussed here might be mitigated by a rubber swap. F1's and some decent Blizzacks should cover the whole enchilada...
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    The car also needs to steer & stop. 100% of the steering & more than 50% of the braking is handled by the front tires. Do all four.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    You should change all four tires. The sensors are located inside the wheels. I think they are attached to the inside of the valve stem.

If you don't change move them to the new wheels, I think you will see the low pressure light all the time. I could be wrong here. Check with the dealer.

You should have an easier time finding tires in 17" than I did. I could not find a set of the 19" tires, so I dropped down to 18" for the winter tires.
  • Options
    gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    Go back and test drive the 1 w/o sport suspension and 19” wheel. The road noise and knocking is way too much for people come from sedan families. If after you test drive the 1 w/ 17” wheels, you think it’s still too much noise; you should just get the 330i. I think the 325i is under power but may be it’s just me. However, I still think the G coup look better than new 330 from the outside.
  • Options
    cpv35cpv35 Member Posts: 6
    Agree. Great discussion here.

I had the Dunlop M3's for 1.5 years on a TRD Solara (wife's car) and they were great for 2 winters (now have Avons on it because the M3's were sold out) and got lots of miles, but soft sidewalls didn't work so well with the stiffer TRD suspension. But I did like the tire for highway and winter. Compared well to the Blizzaks I had before.

My 03 6MT G35 red coupe is still fun after 2+ years and 33,000 miles. But I would like having the '05 syncros in the transmission. The seats are personal, and luckily do fit me, so I was able to do a 1400 mile day on an ATL-SEA round trip. Sports cars are all about road feedback, quick suspension rebound, and an exhaust tone that lets you know when to shift without looking at the tach. (The Solara was too quiet for it's stick shift.) If you want a quiet boulevard ride, get the G35 automagic tranny with 17's and softer all-season tires and non-6MT suspension. All the summer-performance tires (Bridgestone & Michelin) I've had get noisy after half worn. I just live with it because I live for the downshifts before the corners and the acceleration after the apex.
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    "I was able to do a 1400 mile day on an ATL-SEA round trip."

It's rare to find a kindred spirit. Driving 700 - 1100 miles in 24 hours is something I've done many times, but not so much lately.

I was very pleased to maintain a 63 mph average speed from Saskatoon to (North) Vancouver in my 240Z back in the '70's, a shade over 1000 miles, through the Rockies & without the benefit of much divided highway.

You're my kinda person, and there aren't many like us on these boards. I'm shopping the G35 coupe myself, against a number of other worthy options.

Continue to enjoy yours.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    gooddeal

I agree with your comments on road feedback, feel, and downshifts. I've gotten older (beard is grey and most of my hair is gone), so I bought the Automatic with the sport tuned suspension package and 19"wheels. Now I can shift when I feel like it :) , and drive like an old man ;) if I want to.

This is the best car I've owned, and I have owned a lot of them. I'll drive with the window open just to listen to the exhaust. On a twisty back road, this car is great. I got the NAV package, so sometimes I just go off into the country, drive around for an hour or two, and then let the NAV take me home.
  • Options
    Cpv35 you drive the auto in manual so i was wondered if you experience what i have. When i floor the gas from a stop and try to upshift it often doesnt shift right away. I have to shift way before the redline because there have been a few occasions when i shift right before the redline and the rpms go into the 7000's. Does anyone else experience this. I have a 2005 g35c black prem pkg 17s auto.
  • Options
    I have noticed the same thing. Although I do not push near the redline often, I have noticed a delay in the upshift after I hit the lever. My car is similar to yours.
    2005 g35c black premium sport-tuned and 19s auto.
  • Options
    I know this was a problem with the first generation m3 smg gearbox. People were complaining that it took to long to up shift or even downshift. the new Generation smg gearbox is extremely fast and they eliminated this problem. I hope they do something because i dont like the delay.
  • Options
    Well, reality is it's still a slush box with a torque converter; there's only so much you can expect. BMW's SMG has taken knocks in the press for remarkable imprecision, including not being able to find a forward gear from time to time.

I drive a manumatic now and have for four years. Crisp up and down shifts aren't what they're about. Where they have an edge over a regular slush box is being able to select and hold a gear to purpose, as opposed to hunting in varied terrain and circumstance. They're also useful for compression braking as needed.

For a true manual with an automatic mode, one that offers all of the precision and virtually all of the flexibility, with even faster shifts than a three-pedal manual, you have to look to Audi and their DSG.

I'll be focusing on the automatic with the sport suspension as well. Covers my bases I think quite nicely. I can run rubber bald in short order even without the stick...
    }-]
  • Options
    rollbarrollbar Member Posts: 297
    4000 miles now on my 2005 G Coupe (auto trans). In 60 days the winter tires will come off. I used the original 17 in wheels for the winter tires. I went with 17’s because they offer better traction in ice and snow and a slightly softer ride for this guy (me, an aging motoring enthusiast with a bad back).

I’ve driven a lot of different cars, most recently a Porsche Boxster and I have to say I am absolutely delighted with the Coupe. Comfortable, tight handling and almost enough power ( I had the Boxster supercharged). The light curb weight lets the Coupe pull to 60 just a tad quicker than the Box did before I had it supercharged. I think a supercharger for the Coupe is in my future.

But that’s not why I am writing today (sorry to ramble on so long).

Tires and wheels......

I will move up to 18’s for the summer and risk a firmer ride. I decided to go with 18X9 in the front and 18X10’s in the back. Will likely fit 245-40s in the front and 275-40s in the rear. That should give me the grip I want and also fill out the wheel wells, something manufacturers never do quite right in my opinion.

For wheels I bought Touge glossy black 5 spokes with a polished rim/lip. My Coupe is red so I thought it might look nice. (Never bought anything other than painted silver in the past so this is a move to the wild side for this old guy). Also I don’t want to look at a chronic "low tire pressure" light so I coughed up the $400 for tire pressure monitors to put in the wheels. Geez they are expensive or what!

As for tires, I’m a bit stuck, (read: thoughts or suggestions welcome and solicited). Not all manufacturers make the sizes I want. I’m looking hard at Avon Tech M500s What I like is the high rating for comfort and low ride noise while getting grip a little better than the standard all season tire. I am also looking at the Kumho ECSTA SPT for the same reasons but the SPT will probably ride just a little firmer. I also liked the Falcon Azenis ST115 which is touted to be one of the quietest performance tires available on the market, however they don’t currently make the rear size I want. I’m not sure if I can get by with a slight change back there to say…..35's rather then 40’s without really firming up the ride.

I am always interested in the opinions of others and glad to help with other’s issues if I can. I was a prolific contributor to a Porsche board I frequented for 6 years and look forward to reading/responding to this board.

Something I learned recently that maybe common knowledge on this board…..the right passenger hand strap will fit perfectly in the mounting holes of the useless card holder over the drivers door. I ordered one at about $20 since I need the strap and can’t find a use for the card holder.

I would also like to move the card holder under the passengers sun visor (that I do find useful) to the same spot under the drivers sun visor. Anybody find a way to do this?

Thanks all…… and "Respect the G"

Roll
  • Options
    Rollbar, I couldn't agree more about the stance of most cars, including the G35 Coupe. It's probably the biggest thing that annoys me about my car -- how inset the wheels are. I've got the 17s, but the problem is evident even with the stock 18s and 19s (it's also a big problem on the 350Z).

Until I'd read your post, I hadn't even realized there was a card holder under the passenger's visor. I looked. There it is.

One option I wish I could get from the factory or as a dealer option is remote start. In the South Florida summer heat, it would be worth every penny!

Murrow
    2005 G35 5AT
    4k miles
  • Options
    Murrow, i have a 2005 g35 black prem pkg auto 17's. when i was picking up my car in October the dealer asked if i wanted an active security system, i told him that if i would get one i would get it with autostarter, he said why dont i do it in the dealership where it would be under warranty, and i told him that i didnt want to pay around $500 for an alarm. So i think its the same in florida.
  • Options
    Will 275s fit in the rear without rolling fenders?

Seems like just a bit of overkill for this particular car to me. I'm a "wider is better" fan when it comes to rubber, but somehow I think tracking with a set-up that wide is going to be a PITA in day to day driving, plus a costly maintenance gig and yield questionable return.

Just referencing a small bit of prior M3 experience with a 255/235 stagger. At some point the ROI just isn't there and carving ceases to be enhanced, IME.
  • Options
    Bate:

I was told they will fit but after reading your note I will look into the fitment and make sure it's good. Thoughts about what might fit the 10 inch wheels in a smaller size? I am pretty much stuck with the wheels although I could return them if absolutely necessary.

Interesting that two readers are also using 17s. I got the impression that most buyers here in Central Ohio put the 18's or 19's on the Coupe. 19's are not for me, just way too little sidewall for an old guy and though I will push the car, I don't drive at 90% on the street(or even 80%) so I don't need ultra sharp turn-in.

That said, I may be putting the Coupe on the track. I used the Porche to instruct novice drivers on the track at Mid-Ohio and may try the Coupe this spring. Anyone try the Coupe on a track? Understeers I assume but maybe not since I read the car is popular amoung the "drift" crowd. What's that all about anyway. Why all the attention on drifting?

Gary
  • Options
    Ahh, I see. I passed right over already owning the rims. A 255/45 would still work; two tenths of an inch difference in overall diameter is negligible.

I would just check on the clearance one more time. My local shop offered to roll my wells gratis last time I bought rims. 275 is serious meat!

I'm not a big proponent of the 19" rim either, but as of '06 MY, it's the only way you get the sharper suspension from the factory. 18's would have been my preference, because frankly I see diminishing return from that much metal. Should I buy the car, at the first rubber change the 245/40 rears will go 255/40 for me. Again, the 2/10" difference is a non-issue and the return I think is there in grip and cosmetics.

Good luck!
  • Options
    ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    .the manual shift six-speed: how has it improved since 03?

Does it still take an effort to shift with those multi-cone synchros?

..automatics need not reply.
  • Options
    yellowcaryellowcar Member Posts: 46
    I couldn't let your "kindred spirit" comment go any longer without my $.02 worth!

To keep our moderator happy, my quals: my wife took delivery of a special order base model '06 Red Coupe AT in early Nov. and it is a wonderful ride. The competition she considered: Mustang (no elegance), 350Z (too manly), Audi TT coupe (too spartan in features), BMW Z4 (softtop only & too extreme in styling).

Like you, I did a few long-distance runs in my 240Z in the 70's. The most notable was Dallas TX to Cheyenne WY, 1000 miles non-stop at an average of 60 mph. Most of the trip was at night. BTW, I still have the car - but that is a topic for a different forum! ;)

Good luck on your search.
  • Options
    I drove a Volvo sportscar for twelve years. It had a much better ride than the G35 (or maybe it's just the years adding up on me.)

The Volvo 1800, Triumphs, MG's, etc. had a "sportscar exhaust" sound. I didn't mean to complain about exhaust noise, but rather the sound of the exhaust. Wind and road noise are another story.

I don't know how to exactly explain the sound of the G35. About the only thing I can think of is a loud sewing machine.

The sound is annoying to me. But, if you feel it is sporty and pleasant, then enjoy it.
  • Options
    Can't say I agree 59. It's not as agressive as I would like but it's okay. Funny you should post on this topic; a neighbor made a point of remarking just last week that he thought the car "sounded good".

It's all subjective I guess.

Roll
  • Options
    I have had my g35c for a little over 3 months and for as long as i can remember their has been a pinging noise when i shut the car off after parking. I just disregarded it until today when i read that there was a similar problem with the new M-Class. This isnt normal is it?? Does anyone else experience it, should it be fixed. Thanks.
  • Options
    Got the new wheels in; have not bought the tires yet. Had planned to put 275-40s on the rear (18x10) and 245-40s on the front (18x9).

I now have the new wheels.

I only opened one box; one of the front 9 inch wheels.

Lifted the car and set the wheel on and don’t think I like it. I measured the distance from the 17 inch original wheel mounting surface to the rear lip and find that the new wheel has the same measurement from the mounting surface to the rear lip…..meaning the extra width is exclusively from the mounting surface to the outside lip. All the additional width is sticking out of the wheel well.

A 9 inch wheel on the front appears to push the outside lip of the wheel out of the wheel housing and has the tire protruding outside of the fenders. Might be popular with the younger set but this 55 year old guy doesn’t like it much.

I am thinking about using the 9s on the rear and getting 8s for the front. (18s of course).

I want to fill the wheel wells and like wide rubber but don’t want to drive down the street with the tires sticking out of the fenders.

I’m interested in opinions and thoughts from others if you care to offer them.

Roll
  • Options
    What's the offset of the new wheel, and do they come in a greater offset? I agree with you on the cosmetics of protruding rubber; screams "'84 Camaro" to me. More importantly, though, moving the center of the tread outboard will impact suspension geometry. Not a good thing.

The mfr's website may have the specs for you. Some are much better than others with that kind of info.
  • Options
    killerjkillerj Member Posts: 5
    I am thinking of ordering an 06 G35 6MT, but the 19 inch wheels and summer tire that come with the suspension package are a concern. I live in PA where we can have some rough winters. Also concerned about the ride on the 19's vs the 18's. Is it possible to order the 18's with the 6MT? Also, any tire suggestions for winter driving? I'd like to avoid a second set of rims if possible. My thought is to get the 18's on the car, buy a set of all seasons and put those on for winter, rotate back to the stock tires for spring/summer/fall. From prior posts it sounds like its difficult to find tires for the 19's as well.

Thanks
  • Options
    ethan777ethan777 Member Posts: 27
    i bought the G35 coupe when it first came out, loved the car but not good for NYC driving, so i sold it after a year, but when i see the looks of the New one, i wouldnt care if i live in NY or anywhere else, i will sure get the car as soon as it's out in the market ;if it has everything they promised(i want a V8 power). Here is the link :)

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/AutoshowArticles/articleId=108795
  • Options
    Low profile, wide tires on a front engine/rear drive vehicle are not a good combo for winter driving, (especially in a car with decent torque).

I think most will agree, all season tires are a marketing ploy, (think, works in all weather but not well in any weather). You need "winter" tires on all four corners. "Winter" tires are made with a compound that retains it's flexibility and grip in cold weather. Go with 17s for your winter tires; better traction with a taller, narrower, tire and you'll appreciate the ride in the cold months. I always found it interesting that what works so well on the track, wide and low, does not work well at all on a winter road. In fact you need just the opposite, tall and narrow.

(By the way, this is a great time to pick up the the tires and wheels for winter; great deals as retailers try to dump left over stock.)You will also find a winter tire/wheel combo is not as pricy as a nice summer set.

Save the 19s for your summer motoring pleasure and better looks.

I used winter tires this year and when we had slippery, snowy days, I had no problem at all, (in fact the grip was nothing less than amazing). My wife, in her bug with the engine weight over the drive wheels, was all over the road, (all season tires).

Roll
  • Options
    After being around the block several times on a set of summer wheels and tires I finally settled on a set of Speed Stars and Kumho's (SPTs).

The problem now, (problems keep popping up), is the pressure monitors. I paid the big bucks and bought a set of 4 OE monitors from the dealer, ($400 no less). Now Tire Rack, who was willing to put my new pressure monitors in their wheels, says they won't fit. Something about the where the valve hole is on the Speed Star wheels. I tried to challenge them but they won't give on the installation and are sending my high priced pressure monitors back.

I don't relish looking at a yellow low pressure warning light all summer long. I can stick a piece of black tape over that spot on the dash but that's a tacky fix, (pun intented).

My question.....

Has anyone tried or heard of installing a pressure monitor in a small tire and keeping it inflated to a pressure that satisfies the computer? You would have to store it in the car, perhaps in the spare tire area if there's room.

It will depend (I think)....on whether the computer looks for a one or more "low pressure" signals or; looks for 4 proper pressure signals. Anyone know? In the first instance I think the trick might work; in the second, I don't think it will. I have not discussed this with the dealer yet but for the most part I find they don't seem to have much experience with customers that are making mods or thinking outside of the owners manual.

Thoughts?

Thanks all,

Roll
  • Options
    So? What's going on with the tires? How're the Kumhos?

I have been in contact with the local lot's internet sales guy. Provided I'm good with Stone leather as opposed to Wheat (unless I want the red), he says there will be inventory to choose from and special ordering won't be necessary. I have no idea if I'd be okay with Stone; haven't even sat in one yet.

Test drive time approacheth. The competition is an A4 Avant 3.2Q. Interesting cross-shop, eh? Wagons rock, plain and simple!