Options

Infiniti G35 Coupe

Comments

• Options
    rollbarrollbar Member Posts: 297
    emale says:

>>

In traffic the Coupe has decent squirt but measured against fast cars it's middle of the pack at best. I say, fix the seat, fix the head room and give us another 100 hp with another 100 ft-lb of torque to match. Yeehaw.

Anyone try one of the variations of the supercharger available for the Coupe?

Roll
  • Options
    emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    maybe they'll stick the 4.5l v8 from the M in the new coupe.... ;)
  • Options
    murrowmurrow Member Posts: 72
    I always, always, always take my wallet out of my pants and put it in the cup holder. I can't stand it otherwise! I did this consistenly with my CL-S also, but not with my other prior cars.
  • Options
    Mur....

What ever happened with your paint issue?

Roll
  • Options
    Roll,

I never had paint issues like you and the other red-car owners. I thought the paint on my white '05 was kind of fragile -- until I heard your stories. I have more chips in my front bumper (revealing black plastic underneath) than I would like for 9,300 miles in 12 months, but that, I suspect, is sadly normal for these cars.

My bigger paint/body issue came after I got into a slow-speed parking lot fender bender back in March. I backed out into the path of a Corolla, which hit me smack on the driver-side rear wheel. It crunched the fender just ahead of the wheel, scuffed up the wheel, and damaged the paint on the rear bumper. It was supposed to be a 4-day, $1,600 fix. It turned into a 6-weeks-in-the shop nightmare that I will partially live until the day I get rid of the car.

After the crash, I checked out a few shops and ended up going with the dealer's shop. The dealer chain includes BMW, Infiniti, VW and others, so I figured they should have decent standards. Everyone in the front office dealing with customers was very nice and helpful, so I gave them a try. What a mistake!

After 4 days in the shop back in March, I went to pick up the car. I immediately noticed the finish on the repaired wheel wasn't quite right. They told me to take the car home, wash it, give a good look-around, and bring it back in a few days with any concerns. I agreed.

When I get home, I notice that not only is the finish on the wheel less-than-stellar, but the wheel has the WRONG center cap! Then I notice there's a DENT IN THE DOOR! Keep in mind, this car was exactly 6 months old with 6k miles -- practically brand new!

A couple of weeks later, I bring the car back. It stays several days. They change the center cap and improve (but don't perfect) the finish on the wheel, but the dented door is even worse than before! At this point, the dent is still there, and the paint doesn't even come close to matching. And, oh yeah, when I went to pick up the car, they couldn't find the key for an HOUR! I take the car home once again with the understanding that it will be coming back.

A couple of weeks later, I bring the car back. Every few days, I go to check on it, and the dent continually persists. So they try, try again. Then at one point, they end up painting over the clear-plastic stone guard just ahead of the rear wheel, the exact same spot they had originally repaired, forcing them to fix it once again.

They also take the rear wheel off for the third time to rework the wheel's inner finish. In the process, they lose the lug-lock key, but eventually get me a whole new set of lug locks.

After 4 weeks straight in the shop (at least they paid for my rented Nissan Sentra), the dent is gone, and I pick up the car.

Then I get home and realize how much MORE damage had been done:

- There's damage on the front bumper (that CLEARLY had been touched up).

- Both taillights are cloudy from being hit with a buffer.

- A headlight is scratched in a small section (it looks like it's been hit with sandpaper).

- There's overspray in the passenger front wheelwell (I have NO idea how/why they were painting anywhere near that area).

- Under the car, I find a gouge in the driver-side rocker panel (probably from improperly jacking up the car to take off the rear wheel)

- The paint buildup on the edges of the door is very thick, since they painted the door who-knows-how-many times.

I decided to try to live with these issues, because they're mainly noticeable only to me, but I got so disgusted, I decided I couldn't.

So instead of handing my car back to those animals, I decided to try to get rid of it.

My '05 is a base model with only XM. I tried trading it for an equivalent '06 at the dealer that also owns the body shop. After a bit of haggling, the best price I could get on the new car -- after a bit of haggling -- was $32,300. For my car, the best I could get was $25,500.

I went to another dealer and did better -- $32k and $26k, but I didn't want to take a bath that big, so I walked.

I decided to go back to the body shop to see if they would listen to me. That was 6 weeks ago. They decided to handle the situation by having a meeting at the shop with me and a State Farm adjustor. That meeting just happened Wednesday.

Basically, the body shop people largely wrote me off. Their attitude was that I was "impossible to satisfy," and that I couldn't prove that those things happened there. It's true. I don't have the offenses on video, but I'd put my left arm on the line that they're responsible for them.

The State Farm guy felt his hands were tied because most of my beefs weren't directly related to the original repair. He did tell them to replace the damaged rocker, but when I found out the rockers don't come painted from the factory, I declined the offer. I don't want those people painting anything else that has to do with my car.

Overall, the State Farm guy felt it was a "good" repair. Like I said, to the casual observer, it looks fine. But to picky me -- and under the unforgiving fluorescent lights in my garage -- the flaws are obvious. If the car hadn't been so new and so perfect, it wouldn't make me so mad, but for parts of the car not affected by the crash to come out of the body shop significantly worse than they went in, really pisses me off.

Oh yeah -- the monkeys at the shop also scratched my ceramic window tint and the aluminum trim on the driver's door. Can you tell I'm bitter about all this?!?!?!

The bottom line lesson I've learned -- if you're going to crash a car, total it (and hope you don't get hurt in the process).

Sorry for the extremely long post. If anyone in the world will understand my frustration, it's probably you guys!
  • Options
    dboedboe Member Posts: 69
    I agree on the large screen Garmin. I picked up a 2650 for under $500, new but discontinued model. Garmin fully supports all their models, discontinued or not.
    Fits in the cubby perfectly where the factory nav would go.
    I ran the cable around the back of the lid down to the cigarette lighter next to the ignition. ('04 model) Quite stealth. You would have to try another routing for the power cable/speaker with an 05/06.
    The built in patch antenna works just fine, BTW.

We have an Acura with built-in navi, one of the built-ins systems in the industry. Even that one is barely a match for the Garmin once you get past the bells & whistles.
    You can message me if you would like a picture of the install.
  • Options
    cougarjunkiecougarjunkie Member Posts: 51
    Hey dboe:

It's funny that you posted about the aftermarket navigation, since that is what I'm considering just now.

As others on this board know, I've had quite an ordeal in finding a G35 to my liking.

I talked to a guy at the dealership just today. Wanted to know if the combination I want is obtainable (Athens Blue, black interior, AT, navigation, no sport suspension). He did a California-wide search, and found two that were close. One has it all, but includes the sport. The other has no sport, but lacks navigation. He said I could get a navigation system myself for much less money. I told him I'd think about it.

To me, a bigger concern than cost is whether it measures up to the factory navigation in terms of features and convenience. You say that yours is mounted where the factory navigation is. Does that mean that the screen collapses so that it's hidden from view? The last thing I want to do is unplug something and put it in the glove compartment every time I leave the car.

I would be very grateful if you could e-mail me a photo of your setup.
  • Options
    Hey Roll, Murrow, and others:

What would you do if you were me?

1) Buy the car that has everything I want, but also comes with the sport suspension, which I'm not too keen on, as I don't want to worry about spilling my coffee, or blowing a tire when hitting a pothole, which are numerous in San Francisco, even though it doesn't snow here.

2) Buy the car without navi, and get some aftermarket navi system.

3) Wait for the 2007s to arrive.

4) Wait for the 2008s, which probably won't have the seat control issue, but might have other problems--first year bugs, exterior not as good-looking, other comfort issues besides seat controls (I doubt it but who knows).

5) Shut up, because the board is getting tired of my car quest. :)
  • Options
    wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    "5) Shut up, because the board is getting tired of my car quest."

LOL!

It's a can of worms to ask advice on issues with strong personal preferences!

Me, if I found color and equipment at the right price, I'd jump on the sport suspension. But that tallies with my priorities: the real joy is in the handling, and I wouldn't consider the car without sport suspension in the first place!

I never drove it with the regular suspension, but living just down the east side of the Bay from you, I can't say I'd be too worried about holing out based on suspension. A dip harsh enough to bust a rim on the sport package would surely take out a paw on the regular; after all both set-ups are low profile. From what I've read (and others here can correct me if wrong), the big difference in the the tuning isn't really spring rates, but rather damping and bracing.

OTOH, given the way I use my NAV, if I wanted to avoid the sport suspension, an aftermarket unit certainly wouldn't keep me from the car.

I'll echo your speculation on the 2008. I have serious doubts that the follow up release will be as concise and coherent as the original. Same story as Audi's TT. It may look nice, but it ain't the real deal, says I. The current G coupe iteration is a head-turner and then some, and remains quite as fresh (IMO) today as on day one. Funny that I have never been able to stomach the sedan!

Nothing like free advice, eh? Worth every cent... :blush:
  • Options
    In your position, I'd probably go with the car that has more equipment rather than less equipment. Keep in mind, I've never driven a car with the sport suspension, and my car doesn't have navigation, so I don't know how well -- or poorly -- it works.

If you think your current car will hold out, I'd be tempted to just wait for the '07s.
  • Options
    I can add little to what Bate and Mur have already offered.

Like Bate said it's really a matter of personal preferences.

I can say that one way to soften up a stiff suspension is ditch the low sidewalled 19 inch wheels if you find the ride just too harsh. Plop on a set of 17's and you may find you can have your nav and drink your coffee too. :blush:

Roll
  • Options
    NAV? Coffee? Soft sidewalls?

Good grief, man, where are your priorities? Let's just sell him on a LaCrosse, why don't we?
    :mad:
    :blush:
    ;)
  • Options
    LOL :P

I know, I know..... where are my principles, my sense of adventure, my love for speed at life’s risk. Lets go out and "Tear up some asphalt!" he said, oh wait, the wife is calling me for dinner; sorry, next time guys.

Roll :blush:
  • Options
    I decided to try to live with these issues, because they're mainly noticeable only to me, but I got so disgusted, I decided I couldn't.

Ah yes, my friend.....you see, it's a disease. This ability to see a panel for what it is, all its imperfections, (and there are imperfections), is nothing more than a curse, a disease, a blight on your life. Struggle through, endeavor to ignore, turn a blind eye; that is the path for you and I.

I know...I too suffer from this malady. :cry:

Roll

I had a good friend, now deceased, who had this affliction even worse than I. When I finished detailing my pride and joy, (whatever it happened to be at the time) I would take it over to his place and in 5 minutes he would show me everything I missed. I miss him.
  • Options
    Some of my friends on the board will remember all the posts about paint and what Infiniti was going to do or not do for me. Through out it all, I made a friend in the Dealership who supported my cause to resolution. Which, I might add came out very well.

My first surprise then, was three or so weeks later when I learned the guy who helped me, the General Manager, had left the dealership. He was a great guy to work with and someone you would go back to for the next car. The explanation was he had decided to go back to a career that gave him more time with his family. I was sorry to see him go but understood. That left a group of sales people who I had grown accustomed to seeing around and visa versa. I had made casual friendships with several and they knew me by name. I had my car washed there at least weekly and though it was a free service always tipped the guys and so they knew me too. (Good way to move up in the wash line and get a good job to boot.)

Today I found out nearly all the sales staff have left. I need help with the Bluetooth and they will now have to pick a sales person at random to assist me. I also have stopped getting the car washed there because they started using a pressure washer to knock off the dirt. I use a pressure washer with less power than I saw on the side of their machine to clean my driveway and brick walk. I don’t want my car violated with that thing.

Anyway I’m sorry to say, I don’t think there are three people left at the dealership I know or trust. Bummer. This kind of turnover sure gives loyalty a kick in the butt. I don’t feel the obligation to work on the relationship like I did and I know I won't get the preferential treatment I became accustomed to.

Humph. :cry:

Roll
  • Options
    sure, tell me how best to get a pic to your email.

or you can go here, scroll down to 'fortified':

http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115617&highlight=Garmin
  • Options
    Saw it. Thanks. So are you saying that your installation is totally hidden from view, just like factory navigation?
  • Options
    ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    dboe, would you consider uploading that photo to your CarSpace album?

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• Options
    What you see is what you get. It is not hidden from view. It just sits on the edge of the opening, and leans against the lid. Very stable, or as I suggest you can take a small square of velcro and attach it to the lid and upper back of the Garmin, for more stability.
    You can easliy remove it and drop it into the recess (have to remove power cable to do that) or put it somewhere else. Console storage, glove box, etc. Does not take 20 seconds to put it back.
    When you park you can throw a small towel, etc. over it if you want it out of view. I usually don't bother. Just stick it in the glove box if I expect to park for a long time. I don't leave this car parked outside overnight or for days in air terminals, etc. So it's really a non-issue for me.
  • Options
    It's done. :)
  • Options
    Just took a quick trip. I managed 26.4 MPG one-way, which I thought was pretty good. After 375 miles, I still had 1/4 tank left. Gotta love that 20 gal tank!!!
  • Options
    Not bad.

My trip to work is 26 miles one way. It's a combo of highway, urban freeway, and city traffic. I consistently get 20.4 miles to a gallon. That's about 1 mile per gallon better than the 2005 red car I had. I don't think there is any difference in the engine or drive train so I can't explain the variance. I do have slightly taller rubber on the rear......maybe that's the difference.

I am no coaster by the way; I find opportunities to press it hard all the time.

Roll
  • Options
    "I am no coaster by the way; I find opportunities to press it hard all the time."

Good lad. :shades:

Obviously the darker color causes an convection layer over the surface of the car creating turbulence and thereby drag, ergo the mileage difference... :blush:
  • Options
    "Obviously the darker color causes an convection layer over the surface of the car creating turbulence and thereby drag, ergo the mileage difference..."

I understand the careful placement of stickers can help compensate for this phenomena.
  • Options
    Tee hee! ;)

I believe "Type R" ones are worth 15-20 bhp as well...
  • Options
    "I believe "Type R" ones are worth 15-20 bhp as well..."

I'll take 2!
  • Options
    ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Thanks, dboe! For those of you interested in seeing dboe's aftermarket navigation installation, here's a link:

dboe's CarSpace Photo Album

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• Options
    Fits well.

Speaking of Nav...... I would find the estimated arrival time displayed on the main screen useful. None seem to offer this however opting to show the time remaining for the trip instead.

Roll
  • Options
    That's one that's on my now four-year old nav in the IS. I have found it of interest, but not exactly useful. I'm usually ahead of schedule myself, owing to substantial deposits of a certain element in my right foot...
  • Options
    Thanks, that's good news. Not about your foot but about the usefulness or lack thereof of an arrival time display. Now I won't grumble about it so much.

IS? Is that a Subaru product? They make a nice car.

On a completely different subject, or maybe not, as I walked to my building this morning I turned to look at my Ivory G35 parked out at the end of the lot away from the high traffic parking spots and you'll never guess what I saw......

One hellofa good looking personal transportation machine. Geez the G Coupe is a good looking motor car. :P

Roll (I washed it yesterday.)
  • Options
    raizelgsraizelgs Member Posts: 84
    Roll
    It's about time you noticed! :) One of the great pleasures I get from my Coupe is the involuntary smile that breaks out on my face every morning when I open my garage door.

There aren't many other cars that look this good.

RG
  • Options
    blndeg35blndeg35 Member Posts: 3
    Well hello! I seem to be a tad late in imputting my info since I have had my car for 15 glorious months! She, Vanessa, is a 2005 G35 6MT Athens Blue/Black leather/Areo pkg/Premium pkg. I have not seen that many Athens blue G's in the orlando area, maybe two. Love the color, and the car. The guys at work are jealous i think. I work in the motorcycle industry, but don't have a bike. This is my bike :P .Top speed so far has been 135. I ran out of balls. By the way, I am a chickie ;) .Definitely gets the looks. Oh yea, and limo tint. I saw what seemed to be a gathering of G35's downtown Orlando on saturday. Was excited to find others who share my passion about my car. Anyways, hope everyone has a great one

T aka blondie
  • Options
    todds91todds91 Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

I am considering a 2003 G35 Coupe Auto or a 2004 G35 Coupe 6MT. Can anyone tell me:

1. If a 6 year old child in the back seat is reasonable, comfortable and safe.
    2. Is the 6 speed MT smooth and buttery, or is it notchy with a difficult clutch?
    3. What do you guys do about the occasional snow? Tiny rims with big snow tires on the back - or just leave the car home?

Thanks!
  • Options
    im_spartacusim_spartacus Member Posts: 11
    "1. If a 6 year old child in the back seat is reasonable, comfortable and safe."

I think a 6 year old would fit comfortably. My wife is 5'5" and she is fine in the back for short trips.

"2. Is the 6 speed MT smooth and buttery, or is it notchy with a difficult clutch?"

My car is still very new so it might loosen up, but it's pretty tight. The shifter is a short throw and the clutch is great for heel toe shifting. It's great once you get used to it. It's definitely designed for faster sporty driving. It's not buttery or smooth like a Honda.

I suggest you drive the vehicle before making any decisions.

3. What do you guys do about the occasional snow? Tiny rims with big snow tires on the back - or just leave the car home?

Since I live in CA, I can't really answer this.
  • Options
    raizelgsraizelgs Member Posts: 84
    I have a 2005 Auto with the Sport suspension and 19" wheels. I live near Detroit. I bought a second set of wheels (18") and Duplop Winter Sport MP3 tires. Winter was mild last year, but the one big snowfall was not a problem.

Do not put snows only on the back. Baaaad idea. :P You need snows up front for handling and braking.
  • Options
    gary70gary70 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for a new coupe- I saw the infiniti G35 coupe concept car and saw the new 2007 sedan at the NYC car show at Javitz. I will wait for the new coupe to come out. But- which will be the coupe with the new changes based on the concept car- the 2007 or the 2008?? And what will be the difference between the 2007 and 2008 coupes?? (other that 1 year ;)

Thanks!
  • Options
    smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    For 2007 the coupe will be relatively the same (new sedan though). 2008 should be the redesigned coupe.
  • Options
    ruthiebruthieb Member Posts: 7
    Infinity just acts like I should be happy with my Red G35 coupe and all the paint chips. They are flat refusing to do anything. Mine is a 04 I bought new from Crest Infinity in Plano TX. I have complained since I got it, but did not realize others have the same problem. Infinity call number, says it is just rock chips and is normal.
    I am open to suggestions.
    Ruthie
  • Options
    I am looking for help also. My closest dealership just does not care, and I am getting no where with Infinity.
    Ruthie
  • Options
    Could you give me the name and number of the Dallas Agent of Consumer Affairs for Infinity. My red coupe is chipping Very badly! I am looking for any and all help that I can get. I have gotten no where with Infinity.
    Ruthie
  • Options
    yellowcaryellowcar Member Posts: 46
    Ruthie,
    Sorry to hear of your problems. Since you are driving a car that is now 4 model years old, I don't hold a lot of hope for a resolution in your favor. We dealt exclusively with our Dallas dealer, Sewell, and with Infiniti (Corporate) Consumer Affairs. To my knowledge there is no Infiniti corporate office in Dallas. The "agent" in my post was the local company they hired to effect the transfer after the buy-back was fully approved. The agent had no discretionary authority in the process.
  • Options
    Thanks for the answer. I was not even thinking about a buy back...all I want is for them to at least repaint my hood and possibly the nose of the car. I can not even get them to talk about it, other than being all my fault.

I started to buy from Sewell, but ended up at Crest out in Plano.
    Thanks
    Ruthie
  • Options
    I reported to someone on the board these setting and other settings can be adjusted through the Nav screen.

I was confusing my FX35 (since sold) with the G35 Coupe. Though the Nav screen opens some functions, the Coupe version does not give you the wide variety of setting options for functions in the vehicle that the FX version does.

So my apologies to the groups on the misinformation.

Roll
  • Options
    wbr99wbr99 Member Posts: 51
    Damn, this board is dead.
  • Options
    I think I hear an echo!
  • Options
    Yup, your echo alright!
    Sorry, don't have factory Nav on my G35 so can't address your question. Just letting you know you are not alone! :)
  • Options
    decardecar Member Posts: 1
    How does one learn more about the changes to the coupe for '08?
  • Options
    All the news is still on the 07 sedan...I'm sure the 08 coupe is still in the wings maybe til the 1st of the year.
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,507
    just to keep things chugging along, have any of you (as if there were this huge audience out there) carried a bicycle inside your coupe?

My requirements for my next vehicle include a manual transmission, rear-wheel drive & the ability to carry my bicycle inside the vehicle. Generally I'd prefer the sedan, but those reclining rear seats eliminate a fold-down option.

What say you?
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    No bicycles. I can carry the tires mounted on wheels from the left side of the car and two replacement tires in the Coupe, all at the same time though.

Two mounted tires, two unmounted tires; one in the trunk, three on the back seat folded down.

Roll