Options

Infiniti G37 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    adamr001adamr001 Member Posts: 95
    For an 08 I'd say that's a smokin' deal. What interest rate though?
  • Options
    silica1silica1 Member Posts: 23
    I'm interested in purchasing a 2008 G35 Journey with Premium Package (Black on Black) in the next few months. I'm not in a hurry and would like to get a great bottom line price. I don't qualify for VPP or know anyone who does. The deal would be cash and no trade-in. Does anyone have some tips beyond just knowing the invoice and MSRP prices? Would January or February be a good time to purchase or does it matter? Are quotes over the internet a good approach or is it better to meet in person? I'm willing to drive 2 -3 hours to save significant money.

I'm in the Raleigh, NC area and test drove a G35 last summer. I was surprisingly impressed. I hadn't seriously considered the vehicle prior to the test drive. It's a great car. Since I'm 6' 2", the car fits better than some alternatives.

Thanks in advance for the ideas.
  • Options
    bcereus2278bcereus2278 Member Posts: 4
    they are participating in the special where its 2.9% for up to 36 months and 3.9% for 60 months which ends nov 30th
  • Options
    dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    None of us knows what prices will do, it all depends on supply and demand. Infiniti is unlikely to put dealer cash on the cars any time soon - in fact they NEVER did on the MY07 sedans that were left over on the lots when the 08s came out. They did put money (up to $2,500) on the G35 coupes, but that was because of the G37 re-do.

They DO have lease and loan specials to help move cars, but never have customer rebates (except something like the owner loyalty $500 they have now).

So if you know invoice and know what the hold back is, that is the bottom line dealer makes no money price. If you can get one now for invoice give or take bit either way, that would be a nice deal. I would not think any need to wait if you are paying cash.

The DEALERS may be more motivated to give you a deal next year than they are now, but that just depends on how many they have sitting on the lot and how many more are on the way.

For the sedan there is little changed for MY08, so if you can live w/o the ipod adapter and a few other things you can try to find a left over 07 and see how low they will go on it - but I am betting you could score an 08 for not much more so I would go that route.

I would use the Infiniti dealer locator and start in an ever-widening circle from where you live contacting dealers. If they have a web page (if they don't, I would not bother with them) then contact their "Internet sales manager" or get an "online quote". If you don't hear back, and have checked your spam traps, then you might forget about those dealers (they have a web page up but don't do anything with it). When you do get e-mail just tell them you are shopping for the best price, no trade, paying cash and you want the bottom line price - and then give them your exact specs. Make sure you ask them to include the cost of the car, destination, and any and all dealer prep or doc fees in the quote. The tax/title stuff should be same no matter where you buy and if you buy out of state you will likely be doing that work for yourself. Just keep going wider and wider until you get as far away as you are willing to travel, then either pick the best deal or start working them for a deal you can live with. If their first shot is way high or they have a $500 or something "doc" fee you may have to just cross them off your list since trying to work down from some silly number (like $500 off MSRP) or working against a high doc fee will mean you not get as good a deal as you can get elsewhere. There ARE Infiniti dealers that charge a small or even $0 doc fees.

I have purchased cars from WI, CT, GA, TN, and KY dealers doing it this way - with good prices all the time. I used car haulers to bring cars in sight unseen or flown out and drive back, or for closer ones just get a friend/family member to ride along for the pickup trip.

If you work for a company that is a supplier or affiliated with Nissan you can get a VPP claim code and buy for < $300 over invoice with no haggle. If you know someone that works for them - ditto. If you are a close relative of someone that works for them - you can do about invoice with no haggle.

Folks here may can suggest area dealers that they have dealt with that offered good deals. The ones I know of are 6 hours or more from you, one way :( .

Dennis
  • Options
    art007art007 Member Posts: 3
    Price I paid in NY for a 2008 Blue Slate G35x with Navigation, Premium package, splash guards, and cargo net was $36,143 plus sales tax, DMV, etc.

Are dealers in the NYC Metro Area more willing to deal?
  • Options
    carjimcarjim Member Posts: 155
    Expiring today, November 30, (Customer incentive) Nissan/Infiniti have the following incentives. 2008 G35 and G37: 2.9 - 3.9% .

On the 2007 G35 Coupe is $2500 rebate. This is a dealer incentive, so they don't have to tell you about this or give it to you.

I will be curious to see if they extend these, come up with new ones, or don't give any incentives at all for December.
  • Options
    Actually, the discounted finance deals go until December 3 as do the current lease offers, rates, and residuals. They normally wrap the numbers around the weekend at the end of the month up to the next Monday. Just about all car makers do this depending on which day of the week the end of month falls. This saves them from having the "end of the month" rush on a weekday and also means they don't have to decide and communicate the next month's offerings until the first Monday or Tuesday of the next month.

The $2,500 is pretty well known and any dealer with 07 coupes on the lot should be offering them well under invoice - the G37 is a LOT nicer car inside and out and it would take a deep discount to get someone to take one with the G37 to compare it to. I think this represents the "final buy down" on the G35 coupes and this is now been given to the dealers. The note on Edmunds now has a different wording:

"Applies to all new MY07 G35 Coupe in dealer inventory at COB on 11/1/07. See dealer for details."

Once the final buy down is in place then it is up to the dealer to move them off the lots - that is it for the manufacturer.

We will not know the sales numbers until they are released. Those normally are month to month no matter when the end of month falls, but probably will not be released until Monday. If sales were strong then they may drop the incentives or lessen them - or they may want keep them in place. If sales are still weak, then they may leave them in place or sweeten them. The other factor is "days supply" of the coupes and sedans, which we can't know. If sales are good, but the days supply is even higher than Nov 1 (they are making them faster than they are selling them) then they may need to add more incentives to move more cars. If sales have deleted a lot of the days supply nationwide then they can pull the incentives and see how sales do.

So they see how the they did for November and publish those numbers, then see how this weekend does, then can figure what they need to do for the rest of December.

Dennis
  • Options
    On a slightly related note. A lot of folks cross-shop the G and the 3 series and the G wins the price battle by a good margin. For those that don't need a large(r) car, the new 1 series might be something to look it when it arrives. Nice write up in the online (free) magazine Winding Road about the 135i - the same smooth I6 3.0 liter with turbos as in the 335i - but the 1 is smaller and lighter and you know that that means.

The 1 interior is typically modern BMW ugly so the G wins that battle, the exterior in photos are not bad but the G probably has the edge there. Prices in the US have not been set, but I would expect a coupe to run the same or less as a G37 when similarly equipped. Game on! Maybe Infiniti will have to drop the G37 price a bit, we all know they charge way more for it than they do for the sedan - always have.

Dennis
  • Options
    crvjoecrvjoe Member Posts: 24
    Picked up my G37 at Infiniti of Gwinnett this afternoon. WOW! Drives great and I felt like a kid again. They did not try very hard to add on any extended warranty or paint treatment, but I did purchase a 4 year rim and tire warranty for $399. The rims on the G37 sport are very, very expensive and the tires are not your cheapies either. This is good nationwide and I felt that it was worth it. I had to go through downtown, Friday afternoon traffic in Atlanta and was glad that I got the automatic. The only negative I see so far is my bottom is too wide for the sport seats. Guess this is a good incentive to lose weight.

Bottom line is, I believe that you can get a fair deal at Gwinnett.
  • Options
    Congrats on the new ride! I noticed the G37 sport seats and narrower than the G35 sedan sport seats. I think Infiniti was trying to tell me something :D . They are a lot better than the prior generation with the seat controls on the seat itself - someone "large" would have their thigh over the controls.

Dennis
  • Options
    mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    Dennis,

Which dealership in CT did you work with and when? I live in the state and had little success dealing in my area.

Thanks,

Mike
  • Options
    iamsocksiamsocks Member Posts: 8
    Heres the deal I got...08 G35 Journey with premium, nav, tech, tire package, cargo net for $35,542...INVOICE...Then they gave me the 7 yr/100,000 with 0 deduct. for $1,830.00...I think any of us can get Invoice right now for the G35..In fact I found 3 dealerships to sell for invoice as long as they had it on the lot...
  • Options
    This was not for an Infiniti and it was many years ago, sorry.

Denis
  • Options
    Dennis,

Thanks for your response.

With the idea of purchasing out of state, I've always wondered if there would be extra expense with titling and/or taxes. I assume that the sales tax is for the state where the vehicle is purchased. Can the title be assigned to my home state directly or would it need to be done in the state of purchase and later changed to the home state. I'm just wondering if it is more expensive to buy out of state due to goverment fees/taxes. Virginia and South Carolina would be other options for me. I'm just looking for your general experience. Thanks.
  • Options
    joen05joen05 Member Posts: 13
    Just picked up my 08' G35x with premium, navigation, splash guards and cargo net for

$35769 + Tax, Doc Fee, and RMV. Got the 3.9% APR.

The car drives great. Can't wait to get past the break in period.

Got it from Infiniti of Norwood. They didn't push for any extras, and were great when it came to picking up the car and doing paperwork.

They are quoting me $625 on the clear bra protection. I would post that over on the other thread, but it seems inactive. Is this a good price for MA, or is there somewhere else I should look?
  • Options
    gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    You pay tax base on where you live.

If the dealer cannot do the registration for you, they will issue you a temporary plate for a small fee and then you just need to do your own registration with the normal fees.
  • Options
    There should be no extra charges - at least there never has been for me. In fact, quite often *I* was the "agent" for the dealer in tiltleing the car and getting the tag. They would send me the MSO/MCO and a limited power of attorney to get it done. If I rolled taxes into the lease then the dealer could collect those and supply me with a dealer check to pay those at the time the title works was done (by me).

As was mentioned, the selling dealer would give you a temp tag just like normal. If they are in a bordering state they may routinely title and register cars in your state and can handle it for you, if not then YOU can do it yourself for the dealer. If you do it, make sure they don't charge you any paperwork fees :D .

You can probably find info on the this on each state's web page, but in general I don't think any state would charge and keep sales tax on a new car if you reside in another state. In fact, states that charge "tire fees" or "lemon law fees" to their residents normally do not collect these for out of state purchases either.

The only way it gets in the least complicated is if you want to finance your car and roll the taxes in, then the dealer has to figure the taxes and put it in the loan - and they may not know how to do this properly. What I did long ago is learn how the taxes here work (7% state + local option tax) so I can explain it to the dealers as needed.

If you are paying cash then you would just pay for the car and pay for the taxes when you title it. If leasing, most of the tax is probably added to the lease payment by the lease bank so there is little to do there either.

Dennis
  • Options
    stkntrafficstkntraffic Member Posts: 172
    You can probably find info on the this on each state's web page, but in general I don't think any state would charge and keep sales tax on a new car if you reside in another state. In fact, states that charge "tire fees" or "lemon law fees" to their residents normally do not collect these for out of state purchases either.

I know some states will charge you the difference in sales tax between the state you bought it and the state where you're registering it. I had a friend who got a great deal on a new car in Alabama, then drove it home to Florida. When he registered the car he got nailed because he had to pay the difference in sales tax between Alabama (a lower rate) and Florida (the higher rate). He was screaming mad, but Florida had him over a barrel at that point so he had to pay.
  • Options
    But he paid the same tax he would have had he purchased the car in FL for that price. FL has some strange laws and I think they do charge some premium fee for bringing a car in from out of state if you are a resident. Of course, they also have a law on the books that prevents FL residents from buying extended warranties at a discount. So everywhere else you can get a warranty online on the cheap but in FL you have to pay about twice the price. This is to protect the consumer, they say.

In most cases you would never pay any tax to any state that is not your residence - just like doing "mail order" they don't collect tax. When you title and register the car in your home state you would pay the tax due at that time and in your state.

Dennis
  • Options
    Dennis,

Thanks for the explanation on taxes. I had assumed taxes would be payed in the dealer's state, but as you say, it's the other way around. I just didn't know. I'll keep the out-of-state option open.
  • Options
    I can't speak for every state, there are 50 of them and they could have some laws that make you pay the tax to the dealer even if you don't live there. In the event you had to pay out of state tax then I would ASSUME that you would get credit for that tax paid when paying the tax in your home state. As I said, I have purchased from many different states and never had a problem.

Finding a dealer who will deal is pretty much the key to getting a good price. If your local dealer has a $500 doc fee and puts over $1k in "mop and glow" on every car o the car before they are offered for sale, you are pretty sure not going to net as good a deal as you could get if you travel a bit and find a better dealer.

Dennis
  • Options
    cadreamncadreamn Member Posts: 56
    After many enjoyable months learning on this site (and selling my old car), I finally made my deal on a new 2008 G35X last Friday and picked up the car yesterday. Went with Black/Wheat/Wood with Premium, Navigation, Splash Guards, and Cargo Net. Dealer threw in all-weather mats, wheel locks, and specialty license plates. Paid $39,000 OTD ($36,086.45 + 2526.05 tax + 330.00 4-yr NJ DMV + 57.50 dealer/tire fees) and used the 2.9% 36-month financing. From your posts and data on this site, this looked like a very good deal at $370.55 under invoice with low dealer fees. (MSRP was $39,925.)

I now look forward to returning the favor this site has provided me. I'll follow-up this post with insights/thoughts on my buying process and experience and continue to stay engaged with the hope of helping others. (I'm sure I'll continue to learn more from all of you too!)
  • Options
    Congrats on the new ride, enjoy it!

Dennis
  • Options
    samchensamchen Member Posts: 6
    Congratuations!!

I am in the market for the G35 x as well. Which dealership did you go to? I will be buying my car in late January. Did you go to Douglas Infiniti? I would apprecaite if you'd let me know which sales person you dealt with so I will likely get a good deal as you did. Again, congratuations on your G35. Thanks a lot. :D
  • Options
    phil08phil08 Member Posts: 3
    I am interested in getting the 2008 G35 RWD Journey w/Premium pkg. I live in the Bay Area. Has anyone gotten it recently and are they offering better deals in December?

Thanks.
  • Options
    packrfanpackrfan Member Posts: 50
    Without know NJ market, seems like you got a good deal. I've been shopping for similarly equipped G35X for a couple weeks in W/NW Chicago - does anyone have price points (OTD or by component) for a recent purchase or offers? There seems to be a growing inventory so I suspect sales are slow, either seasonally or not, which could be good for us buyers. As I get some solid price points, I'll share them. Thnx in advance
  • Options
    tmnaaitytstmnaaityts Member Posts: 8
    Anyone every get back to you on this? I'm in Houston and going to start shopping for a '08 G35 Journey w/Prem+Navi+today+sport - I'll probably buy Monday / Tuesday next week. I've see a few posts talking about invoice or slightly below. Were you able to get them down to invoice or anywhere close?

Anyone have any recco's / comparisons to get at invoice?

Looking at Southwest Infiniti in Houston, but won't mind making the drive to Clear Lake or North Infiniti for a better deal.

Thanks in advance (this is my 1st post here)

After I buy, I'll definitely write my deal/experience.
  • Options
    That is some good info. I found the VPP website (still looking for the companies to find my "in") but was not able to back into that number...I'm getting +/- $1,000 over invoice. Are you including the $700 "destination and handling charge" in your calcs? If I get rid of that, it's like $300 over invoice (give or take.) How common is it to get out of paying the destination charge?
  • Options
    Invoice price (to me) includes the destination. There is no mark up on it, you pay what the dealer pays for that.

The math on the VPP price is to take the invoice (including destination), subtract the destination, take off the discount, add any dealer installed options, add in the delivery fee, then add back in the destination.

So if the invoice is $35,000 including the destination charge:

$35,000
    -$715
    -----------
    $34,285
    -$565.71 (1.65% discount)
    ------------
    $33,719.29
    +$842.98 (2.50% delivery fee)
    ----------------
    $34,562.27
    +$715 destination charge
    -----------------------
    $35,277.27 VPP price

Like I said, for most G35 or G37s it is "around" $300 over invoice.

Dennis
  • Options
    samchensamchen Member Posts: 6
    It's a greate example. The only question I have is the discount. Could you please explain a little bit details about the discount? It's different from each dealership? How do I find out? :)
  • Options
    If you get a VPP claim code, then all you have to do is find a dealer willing to honor it on the car you want (they do not have to) and that charges little or no doc fee. The price and discount are pre-negotiated and the VPP price is printed on the dealer's invoice and once you pick a car they are supposed to show you the invoice to confirm you are getting the right price.

No VPP code, you don't get this price - you get whatever the best deal is you can work on your own. Now that could be a better price or a worse price, it depends on the dealer, the market at the time, and your negotiating skills.

Dennis
  • Options
    car_enthucar_enthu Member Posts: 17
    hi packrfan,

could you share any prices on the G35x? im in the chicago area too (NW suburbs) and wanted to get an idea b4 I start contacting the dealers

thx!
  • Options
    dvrmingdvrming Member Posts: 4
    You should know that Southwest and Clear Lake Infiniti have the same owner. North Houston and Westside Infiniti are the other two. I am also in the market for a G35 sedan. North Houston should be able to offer you close to invoice.

Maybe we should have a group buy in Houston? ;) ">
  • Options
    Didn't know that about Clearlake and Southwest; I guess those guys prob wont try to out bid eachother then ;) No matter though, I was driving home from the NASA area last night and stopped by Clear Lake Infiniti - didn't look like they had much on the lot - West and Norht Houston seems to have way more selection.

Do you think that the since west houston and southwest are so close that they may be a bit more competitive with eachother?

I'm going to email a couple others now - if they can quote a G35 at invoice, I will prob go today to buy. Enough looking...

Any other's "related" before I blast out more emails?
  • Options
    sedmundsedmund Member Posts: 93
    Edmunds' invoice price for this configuration is $37,017 including destination charges. So you got it for $500 under invoice?! That's pretty impressive! Is there some cash back offer going on for 2008 G35x model, or is it that the Edmunds invoice for this model is showing more than what it really is?
  • Options
    iamsocksiamsocks Member Posts: 8
    I read a post about Sac Infinity doing invoice or something close....look at past posts. In So cal..there are 3 that will do invoice that I spoke to. Plus $1,830 for the 7yr/100k 0 deduct..warranty.
  • Options
    bcereus2278bcereus2278 Member Posts: 4
    yes..i was able to get below the invoice. The dealer told me that the invoice was around $37,100. i was trying to get 40,000 out the door price. the lowest he would go was 40,200 which included tax (8.375%), dmv fees (around $300), and doc fee (which was waived).
  • Options
    packrfanpackrfan Member Posts: 50
    Car_enthu,

I've not detailed what's in / what's not in these offers so assume these are for G35x w/ nav and premium, spg and either wheel locks or trunk net and excluding dest & TTL.
    Fields - $37,500
    Motorworks - $36,950
    Lisle - $38,222 (this was initial 'indicative' price, not best offer); OTD was $40,900

My target is at invoice, per Edmunds $36,609 incl dest. but not TTL, and hoping month / year end will get me there.

Honestly, I'm still struggling with decision of G35x vs. 328x coupe. Prices of comp equipped 328x are higher but so are residuals and overall, coupe is more appealing.

Hope this is useful
  • Options
    jeremiastanjeremiastan Member Posts: 25
    Was this for a g35x with premium, nav, wood? Some of the other posts were for g37 in the string as well as Journey model.

I got a quote for 35K plus tax, tags, etc. for g35x with premium, no nav.
  • Options
    boston2007boston2007 Member Posts: 4
    I got a great quote for a g35x with wood, premium and nav. I am trading an i35 sport with 15K miles in good shape. Kelley Blue Book valued the trade at 6,540. The salesman at the dealership told me he would give me 3,000 and that Kelley's Trade values are always way too high, which is where I walked out. Has anyone had a similar experience?
    George ffrom Boston
  • Options
    If you got a good price (near invoice) on the new car than I would expect them to offer you "auction value" for your trade - that is just how it works. You could take your car to "Car Max" or "Driver's Way" or similar place in your area and see if they will buy your car from you for something you can live with. You will not get the tax break for the trade (if that applies in MA) but you might come out better. You could also just sell it yourself in the local paper and/or online on ebay, cars.com, autotrader.com, edmunds.com, etc. With so few miles on it and in nice shape you should be able to get a whole lot more than $3k for it at retail.

One of the reasons I like leases is no sell or trade hassles if you don't want the car at lease end - just turn it in and shop for a new car w/o a trade. Folks often complain about getting "taken" on their trade ins and fail to realize that this makes buying a car often more expensive than purchasing it.

Dennis
  • Options
    marchymarchy Member Posts: 3
    Just made a deal on G35x with sunroof + splash guards+cargo net for $33,000.
    JBA Infinity, Ellicott City. Once they realized that I know my numbers and have contacted other dealers, they did not argue.
  • Options
    Invoice shows $33,096, so as long as your doc fee was less than $96 you ended up at or below invoice - so nice price.

I would have paid the extra for the premium pack rather than just get the moonroof, however. Invoice on the roof is $862 and on the package it is $1,982 - or $1,120 more but you get a lot of stuff- the improved stereo w/ipod interface is "killer" for sure when compared to the base audio system. Then Bluetooth, power tilt/telescope wheel, etc. Be worth it now and if you try to sell it down the road.

Premium Package

- Power sliding tinted glass moonroof with one-touch open/close, tilt feature and sliding sunshade
    - Infiniti Studio on Wheels&#153; by Bose® premium audio system with 24-bit Burr-Brown DAC, single-feed 6-disc CD autochanger with MP3 playback capability, Radio Data System (RDS), and ten speakers, including 3-way component front door speakers with 10-inch subwoofers and a parcel shelf-mounted subwoofer
    - Infiniti Interface System for iPod®
    - Driver&#146;s Audio Stage
    - Heated front seats (standard on G35x AWD)
    - 2-way power driver&#146;s seat lumbar support
    - Memory system for driver&#146;s seat, steering wheel and outside mirrors
    - Driver's seat, steering wheel and outside mirror position synchronization
    - One-touch auto-up/down rear windows with safety auto-reverse feature
    - Power tilt and telescoping steering column synchronizes gauge cluster with column for improved vision
    - Automatic anti-glare rearview mirror with HomeLink® Universal Transceiver and compass(compass not included when combined with Navigation Package)
    - Bluetooth® Hands-Free Phone System
    - Heated outside mirrors (standard on G35x AWD)

Dennis
  • Options
    cdreiercdreier Member Posts: 9
    Please excuse the ignorance, but what does the X stand for? Thanks!
  • Options
    boston2007boston2007 Member Posts: 4
    It's the all wheel drive model.
  • Options
    cadreamncadreamn Member Posts: 56
    OK - here's my follow-up post on my buying experience/process. Hope this helps those still shopping. By the way, I bought rather than leased but assume much could be applied to leasing as well:

- Learned everything I could about the car from local dealer(s), this site, Infiniti site, etc. Knew exactly what I wanted and what I was willing to sacrafice/accept.

- Checked the VPP site. My local HR department did not realize we had a relationship with Nissan/Infiniti (we are a big company), but our company name was listed so I was able to get a VPP number.

- Used the internet to request quotes when I was truly ready to buy and made sure I got them in writing. Sent to as many dealers as I was willing to travel to - since I'm in the NY metro area that left me with many options. Asked for full breakdown including total OTD. I gave each dealer my VPP number and expected to get the same base number from everyone who honored VPP. Suprisingly, some of the base numbers were different. Some dealers had advertising fees they built into their VPP calculations. Other dealers even offered lower than VPP.

- Asked other bidders if they were willing to beat my best deal. Some dealers did not want to move off their numbers, but others did in hopes of getting the deal. (This seemed especially true of dealers from different states - maybe they compete more across state lines?)

- Waited a little longer to take advantage of better timing (and to put my old car on the market to see how much I could really get for it). I repeated the approach a few weeks later after 2.9% financing was announced, as posts on this forum seemed to indicate better deals, and during the last week of the month (when many dealers are trying to hit a quota for number cars sold). Personally, I am a big believer in timing and normally buy cars near end of model year for this reason. In this case, I already had VPP so decided to start early, but I think the combo of winter, rising gas prices, and introduction of other new Infiniti models such as the EX, G37 and even new G35x-sport helped soften demand/pricing for the G35x - to the point where I felt it was close to what I might expect at model year-end. Waiting these few extra weeks saved me over $1000 in total cost from my original best deal.

- Confirmed all the details on my best deal to make sure it was a "real offer" - repeated total OTD and breakdown back for confirmation, made sure everything I expected was included, obtained VIN of car, confirmed expected delivery date, etc.

- Put down my deposit and picked up my new ride a couple days later!

Of the dealerships I interacted with in NJ and NY Metro, I found Salerno-Duane (Denville, NJ - worked with Joyce) and Pepe (White Plains, NY - worked with Kristine) to be the most helpful and professional - and they also offered me the best deals.
  • Options
    brunnabrunna Member Posts: 53
    I found an '07 G35 Sport w/ premium, nav and tech with 400 miles on it, never titled. The dealer obviously wants to move it as they have a bunch of 2008's on the lot, so much so that the salesman offered to meet me halfway (30 minutes for each of us) in the car so I can test drive it! He says there is no cash for it, but the manager throws out spiff usually on a Saturday to move cars like it. The 3.9% for 60 mos is still being offered until year-end also. I would like to go in with an offer of $29,000. Am I going to get laughed at and told to go pound sand? I may or may not offer for trade our '03 Odyssey EXL-RES (67k miles). I think they may be able to sell it on their lot and not wholesale it because it is in really good condition. Who has some thoughts, tips or pitfalls for me to be ready for?
  • Options
    You have to be realistic or they may indeed laugh you off the lot :D .

I assume this is a 6mt sedan? If so then the MSRP should be around $38,865 (6mt/prem/nav/tech/splash/net) with an invoice of $35,442. Holdback on Infiniti is supposed to just 1% of MSRP so $388.65. So without money from Infiniti to move the car you are looking at $35,053.35 as the "dealer makes no money" price on the car - which they WOULD laugh at you with a $29,000 offer.

If you have a trade it confuses things and if you get a low ball price on the new car they may give you a low ball price on the trade. That said, in this case they MAY be willing to give you a good value on your trade to make the deal sweeter - since on a cash deal they would lose money (in theory) below $35k. If they think they could move your trade for some profit they could be willing to forgo some of that profit to move the 07.

If you have access to a VPP claim code you could get a new 08 for $300 or less over invoice. Others have said they got new sedans for just at or even a little under invoice w/o a VPP code. So *I* would probably go for a new 08 unless by some miracle they can really discount this a ton under invoice. Now *THIS* dealer is not likely to offer you a deal on an 08 since they want you to take the 07, but another dealer with no 07s left to sell may. So don't overpay thinking you are getting a deal, shop other dealers for an 08 - and do your homework on the trade by checking Edmunds, KBB, NADA, and maybe seeing what "Driver's Way" or "CarMax" will give you for it before talking with a dealer.

Dennis
  • Options
    gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    No dealer will give you this car for 5K-6K under invoice even if it has 400 miles on it. 2K is about the right number. IMO
  • Options
    nringnring Member Posts: 97
    i have a silly question...what is VPP??

Thanks,

Noah
    AskNoah@icloud.com