Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I don't care what a vehicle looks like, so long as it performs and functions the way it should. IE: non-boxy SUVs are a waste of money, curves eliminate the "utility" in SUV.

Why is Jeannette so concerned that it not look like a mini-van? God forbid she were caught in a mini-van, all her friends and fellow soccer moms would make fun of her, and her kids would be ridiculed by the other kids....

Lemmings, americans are such lemmings it cracks me up!

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I think Ford's trucks are far better than their cars, perhaps with the exception of the Focus. Even then I'm talking about the driving experience, not quality.

I'd prefer to see Subaru make the 7 seater usefully roomy and boxy, not stylish and cozy. We'll see.

-juice
    Just got back from orlando, wait til you see my writeup of the cavelier!

-mike
    Be nice mike.... LOL!

-juice
  • jlemolejlemole Member Posts: 345
    who wastes no time in expressing his opinion after some time away!

Look at the proposed GM offerings -- they're ridiculous in the way they stick a truck front on a minivan. People have gotta get over this minivan stigma. I've said it before -- if my minivan got better mileage, I'd love it as a daily driver.

Jon

Jon
    Finally catching up. :) First time to Orlando, and let me tell you, it just reinforced my feelings that Americans are such lemmings... :(

-mike
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
  • ballisticballistic Member Posts: 1,687
    Lemmings, americans are such lemmings it cracks me up!

The Pied Piper buys an SUV, and sure enough, next thing you know, these behemoths are in nearly every driveway. The neighbor gets one that's even bigger than yours, so you naturally have to trump that!

What this country needs is a good five-year OPEC embargo.
    The Lemole clan of the lemming species has its required Orlando visit coming up right after the holidays!

To get back on topic, though, I've noticed that my 02 Outback wagon has developed a slight crunching/thunking sound from the front passenger wheel area when taking a sharp turn. Any thoughts on the cause. I've now got almost 38k miles. Thanks.

Jon
    Would be my guess.

-mike
  • stuhallstuhall Member Posts: 59
    stuhall Dec 22, 2003 1:34pm

Followup to post above. I'm driving on the freeway at ~60-70MPH and my foot is off the gas. I go to change lanes and give a little gas and...NOTHING. The car revs to 4500RPM but it's in Neutral. I remain calm and verify that I'm still in Drive...according to controls. I shift to Neutral, back to Drive and now I'm engaged with the transmission again.

One mile later, it happens again. Only this time shifting to Neutral and back to Drive does not engage the engine. I'm just coasting on the Freeway, my RPM's increase but the transmission is not engaged. I shift back and forth three times and finally my car responds to gas.

It's back in the dealership....and I'm very concerned and frustrated. I don't feel safe in that car at highway speeds. I've had nothing but problems in my 23 days of ownership.

I've already opened a case with Subaru, but with holidays I feel left out to dry. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    Stuart
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    a Manager is on top of the situation. Once you get the car into the dealer, they will hook you up with alternate transportation. The case file looks in order. I'm sorry about the problem. It it looks like the right resources are on it. There is a control unit in the transmission that should have recorded the event and they should be able to fix it readily.

Thanks.

Patti
    TCU problem or Gear selector contacts.

-mike
    Stuart- Man that sucks. Hopefully the dealer will be able to easily diagnose and fix the problem. In any case, you've got the "A" team (Patti) looking out for you. Please keep us posted.

-Frank P.
    Patti, just FYI, my first case that I opened last week due to awful dealer prep, rattle in my moonroof and scratch on my dash, I was called by a Subaru rep and told that Ken the General Manger would handle my car personally. Well, since then, I've not heard from Ken, even after leaving him a voicemail asking him to call me.

I've been working with John and Rick in Service. They at least return my phone calls, but then again they deal with public and have no choice. ;-) John is always overwhelmed with customers. He has no chance to offer any real service to anyone, but he tries. When I was leaving the dealer today I heard one of the "valets" tell one of the service guys that this other customer's car wasn't ready....they had a quiet discussion, then the car was bought to the service bay and the owner jumped in.....He had a very HARD time starting it. I was getting in the shuttle for home so I didn't see the outcome.

I think with my well documented issues with Rancho Subaru and the things I've seen while I've been there I have every reason to be very concerned about them servicing my car. John and Rick in Service are great guys, but they are overwhelmed.

I'm just disgusted. I've filed a complaint with Subaru that was supposed to get the General Manager of the dealership involved and he won't return my calls. My car continues to have problems and now it's there over the holidays (best case scenario). Now I'm on my second case with Subaru of America and very concerned about the Rancho Staff's ability to do a thorough job guaranteeing the safety of my car.

I *love* the XT. It's fun to drive and has so much going for it but at this point, I want a "do over". With 23 days and 1200 miles on the car I have lost faith in it, the dealership and am fading out on Subaru (Patti is the exception) If I had a time machine, I feel I'd find myself back in the Honda Pilot I test drove prior to the Forester....can you blame me?
    The same thing could have happened with a Pilot, Toyota, GM, Ford, or any other car. I'm sure that they will find the problem and resolve it for yah, even if it has to go to another dealer. Patti is good with this stuff.

-mike
  • jdlanganjdlangan Member Posts: 48
    Yes guys, be nice, since you know nothing about me personally or professionally Mike's comments are very sexist and stereotyping. I see now that opinions on vehicle looks and personal preferences are purely a man's domain, how silly of me.

FYI, we bought a Plymouth Voyager back in the early 80's, one of the first on the road. Hated everything about it. Our Explorer, being a 96, was also bought before SUV's appeared in every driveway. So I guess that would make me the lead lemming, if you must get insulting, and gee, since we bought the OB they seem to be in every driveway around here too.

The OB is only marginally better gas milage wise than the Explorer by the way -
    All that anyone here can know about anyone else is contained in what they write. Statements such as "please oh please don't let it look more like a mini van than an SUV" reflect at least as much stereotyping as the rejoinders to which you object. Not to mention a strong degree of superficiality in your selection criteria.

Having a bad experience with one very early minivan is hardly a rational basis for ruling out any vehicle that bears even a passing resemblance to one.

I see now that opinions on vehicle looks and personal preferences are purely a man's domain, how silly of me.

I don't believe anyone said that. Sarcastic exaggeration does little to improve the dialogue.

These should in no way be taken as "sexist" statements, because I would say and have said the exact same things to men who made statements as superficial as yours.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    There are several women here that frequent the Subaru Crew topics, including a rep from SOA. Even the Edmunds moderators have women amongst the higher ranks.

-Brian imageimage
  • celica115celica115 Member Posts: 169
    I understand your feeling. I had have a hard time with the dealer's service departments last year. Finally I paid cash to my trusted mechanic to fix the problem. They are just not willing to do any warranty work (may be they don't get much paid than the walk-in customer). Although service people are bad but Subaru is making good value & performance car. I believe once your XT got fixed, you will not regret for buying such fun-to-drive car.

Luke
    I'm very aware that there are woman on these boards who are valuable contributors, I've been following them for 4 years since we were in the market for our OB, which is why I - and I suspect some of them - find the crack about soccer moms and friends' opinions controlling our buying insulting. Over the years I've seen many of the regulars (and yes, most of you are men) express opinions and likes/dislikes about styling without others jumping down their throats and stereo typing them, which is what discussion and thought exchange should be. If I formulated opinions on vehicles based on one personal experience data point, I would probably never buy another Subaru, yet I've been looking forward to seeing what they come out with in the 7 passenger model.

Yes, I need to haul kids and a lot of gear, they both compete at National levels in their chosen sports. But, I also need to haul building materials (and I haven't run into a mini van yet that can practically handle 4x8 sheets of anything, or at least more than one), computer systems and peripherals to set up educational conferences, and traps and cages for the animal rescue work that I do, preferably without burying the vehicle up to the axle as we did the Voyager. So please, don't immediately assume that anyone is trying to one up the neighbors. The slope of the hatch in the OB makes it a bit less utilitarian than the Explorer, but great as our second vehicle, taking away the boxiness of SUV styling in the 7 passenger would likely eliminate our interest in it also. After reading about others experiences with Subarus, and reading many reviews and reliability ratings I believe Subaru makes a great product, and that is why I personally hope that the 7 passenger is more SUV than mini-van.

Happy Holidays to all - we're hoping Santa will bring us an OB with a new clutch at no charge -

J
    Hmm no sexist comments by me at all. "soccer mom" is a generic term for suburban folks who have no use for SUVs. I would and have said the same thing to men, women, childern, animals, etc. That post comments like "I wish it didn't look like a minivan" which is purely something that a person concerned with vanity and "fitting" in would say.

Most SUVs now are far more curvy than Mini-vans.

-mike
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    i dont care what others think, i have people i really care about to attend to. laugh at my minivan, i dont care, but it works great for me and the family needs.
    Gives a big golf clap to NJswamp, for not trying to fit in and buying what suits his needs rather than what everyone else thinks.

If I didn't offroad my trooper, I'd own an AWD Safari Van instead.

-mike
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    an AWD Sienna or an AWD Caravan? Why a truck-based minivan?

Bob
  • dcdouglasdcdouglas Member Posts: 28
    Hey everyone,
    I have one extra ticket for the DC Auto Show for the first taker. I plan to head over there on Friday, 12/26 around 10:30 AM. Since I'm flying out for the holidays later that evening, you have a small window to acquire said ticket. Email me at scott.douglas@hhs.gov today to reserve it.
    --dcdouglas
    To be fair and to my point I shouldn't immediately assume that there was insult intended, just as others shouldn't immediately pigeon hole people by their choice of vehicle. For some of us the 'utility' in SUV is the reason for owning one. I have tremendous respect for all other parents out there who put their kids first, we are a minority. There are plenty of mini-van choices out there already for people who prefer them, I would just love to see an SUV choice in a 7 passenger model that wasn't Expedition sized yet still could meet our needs and was reliable.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I would just love to see an SUV choice in a 7 passenger model that wasn't Expedition sized yet still could meet our needs and was reliable.

The mid-sized Explorer comes as a 7-passenger model, as does the new 4-Runner, Lexus GX470 and Honda Pilot (which seats 8). The all-new Nissan Pathfinder will also offer 7-passenger seating, from what I've read. It will be introduced in a couple of weeks at Detroit.

Bob
    Thankfully we have lots of diversity in the Crew, regular female contributors include Kate, Brenda, and Patti. It wouldn't be the same without them! :-)

-juice
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Most of the SUV 7 seaters offered are seats added on to an existing design opposed to a redesign from the ground up. Sat in the back of a few at the Auto Shows and they're all added on to accomodate children size passengers. What is/are the crash rating for these SUVs from the rear? I certainly did not feel safe sitting where the crumple zone is. I certainly won't put my kids [if I had any] back there whilst I, the driver, am cocooned safely between crumple zones.

-Dave

p/s I wasn't all that comfortable sitting back there in a mini-van either.
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    A great combination of sport and utility...

Steve
    Just picked it up, they charged us for the new clutch disc, part only , no labor, rest of the clutch and assembly was n/c. They were obviously not happy that I had taken this to SOA, barely looked at us when we came in. Interestingly, they list 'clatter/shutter - I assume they meant shudder' as the cause. I would think this was a symptom instead. No dialog as to what caused the clutch to fail prematurely. I know I've seen others in these forums mention clutch clatter, ours has done it since new, hopefully this was an isolated fluke and the clatter isn't indicative of any other problems for other owners.

Yes, new Explorer is nice looking, I loved the look of the old Durango until they made it bigger too. Was hoping that Subarus offering would be similar - I am nervous about the issue of kids sitting way in back also, but there are times when both kids would like to bring a friend along when we go somewhere. Most times the rear seat would be folded down for cargo utility. I know we've been really lucky with our Explorer, thought that a Subaru would be a better bet next time around if it met our needs -even with the string of bad luck we've had lately with the OB.

Jeannette
    Dave: Our old '91 Grand Caravan had more 3rd-row seat space than any typical adults would need, and still had plenty of crush zone/cargo space behind that seat.
    You are still missing the point. "please oh please don't let it look more like a mini van than an SUV" goes well beyond merely commenting on style. It amounts to a sweeping, blanket rejection of an entire category of vehicle (many of which have a multitude of virtues making them functionally better choices for most SUV buyers than the behemouth SUVs they buy) on the sole basis that they lack the magical cachet that SUVs have somehow acquired.

The more people continue to exhibit that myopia, the longer this mine-is-bigger-than-yours SUV craze will go on before it finally, mercifully runs its course.
  • bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    still bickering over minivans and SUV's...

Can we move on already?
    I'll be sure to consult Roget's next time, perhaps 'be designed like' or 'functionally like' would have been better used.

My point is that immediately assming that someone is a bubble head who has no valid reason for preferring a certain type of vehicle other than show or to follow the crowd is equally sweeping and narrow. If a mini van had the height of an SUV so that I could see at night without being blinded by oncoming headlights, the cagro hauling ability that I have, the ability to get into and out of some pretty mucky and/or snowy situations safely, etc. - I'd buy one. But if it was all that, it would be an SUV, not a mini-van. 7 passenger seating for versatility without being huge would be nice, and a Subaru that fit my needs would be even nicer, just as I'm sure that those of you who drive mini-vans would love to see Subaru come out with one of those -

Jeannette
    Good deal Jeannette. If I could get a new clutch for my Miata that cheap, I'd bite!

Sienna AWD is a pretty complete package, IMO. I hope Subaru combines the efficiencies of that package with better performance.

-juice
    Wow! Finally an issue that Jack and I completely agree on :-)

-Frank P.
  • davisrs41davisrs41 Member Posts: 13
    zman3 Dec 23, 2003 3:42pm

Regarding Fords, I've owned many from the 1950s thru a 1986 Taurus. I only had one that ever gave a problem, a 1962 Mercury with a bad engine block casting. The rest either went 200,000 miles or rusted out after 10 to 15 years.

Dodge - I even had a couple of Dodge Daytonas that gave me many years of good service, bad oil seals, but I fixed that myself.

GM - I got 250,000 out of a '58 Chevy wagon, and a 1971 Pontiac Wagon but I had a very poor experience with a GM Pontiac Phoenix (X-Car). I have 180,000 miles on a Buick LeSabre and 135,000 miles on a K5 Silverado Blazer with no problems except for the 5.7 liter Blazer sucking up fuel as fast as I can pump it! <gg>

Imports - I had a Toyota Camry that was nothing but problems and the engine dropped a crankshaft at 70,000 miles and would have cost more than the value of the car to replace. Had a Nissan Sentra that went through 2 engines and a tranny, Mazda 626s that sucked up money for tranny and engine repairs. My Subaru Forester is not far behind with a $3500 burned valve repair, not to mention a bad "U" joint and cv joints. I hope this is the end of it!

I did have a Honda Civic, two Mitsubishi Cordias and a Tredia that never gave me any problems.

If I looked at Consumer Reports, so far, I have had the best luck with the "poorly" rated cars and the worst luck with the highly rated cars except the Honda (good) and the Phoenix (bad). Go figure!

Bob Davis
    That's what they mean by YMMV. I'm sure even Lexus had a lemon once in a while.

-juice
  • cllaphamcllapham Member Posts: 8
    I don't care what a vehicle looks like, so long as it performs and functions the way it should.

I admit that I bought my Forester because it looked like an SUV, but also because it had a reputation for reliability and winter handling that I wanted, it had room for the dog and large hubby, and it wasn't a truck-based behemoth. Also, I was living in Seattle at the time, and in Seattle it was kind of distinctive looking. Once I move back to Anchorage -- where 50% of the population seems to drive Subaru -- and 25% drives green Foresters -- I DO feel like a lemming. I've tried my keys in strange cars twice.

But I can relate with not wanting to drive a van. Just because you have a family doesn't mean you don't want to look cool. And SUVs are much higher on the cool list than SUVs. But I agree that we need to live through 1973 gas lines again; vehicles are getting too big.
    Cheryl
    Egad. Getting absolutely nowhere here.

If a mini van had the height of an SUV so that I could see at night without being blinded by oncoming headlights, etc. etc.

Would that be the same height that puts your headlights a foot or two higher than other vehicles? But heck, that's OK, it's only their eyes being blinded by your lamps, not yours by theirs. And your bumpers are also a foot higher, so in a collision anyone else is toast. But you're OK, which is all that matters.

Not to mention that when you encounter other socially irresponsible SUV drivers while in yours, you've lost any height advantage, so now you have to go buy an even bigger SUV to regain your carefree queen-of-the-mountain edge. Then they do the same, and the whole thing continues spiralling completely out of control.

What this country needs is a good 5-year OPEC embargo. Then watch all the gotta-look-cool-no-matter-what SUV buyers go scurrying back to sane vehicles.
    If GM's evil influence compels Subaru, famous for sensible cars, to ever build anything as large, heavy, and thoroughly irresponsible as a full-fledged SUV, g*d save us all.
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    a few sports cars are kewl the rest are just ugly. except the aztec which is in a league of ugliness of its own.
    My preivous post: stuhall Dec 23, 2003 8:06pm

Followup on my ongoing saga....

Got a call from Linda from SoA. The dealer thought that it was just low transmission fluid but they could not find a leak. WHY was I delivered a car with LOW transmission fluid? This dealer should be suspended. I have written 10 posts covering different facets of their horrendous dealer prep.

The mechanic took it out for a test drive and it shifted to Neutral again at highway speed. Now they think it may be a computer issue. So, we've thought it was a valve, solenoid, fluid and now computer. Let's get out a dartboard and a monkey and see if he can find the problem.

The dealer's master tech is talking to a Japanese engieneer who designed the system. At this point I'm done. I don't want to be Subaru's test case. I didn't pay $27k of my money to field test their equipment. If they don't want me to take it to a lawyer they will replace the car. It's not a safe car, and I won't be lulled into taking it back off their lot.

I've had it for 23 days and put 1200 miles on it. At the end of 28 days it will have spent 9 days at the dealer. I have no faith it wouldn't return or that they can guarantee it's safe. I don't care what they find, it's defective off the lot and I don't want it back.

I don't care if they put an entirely new Subie tranny in it, it's not off the factory floor. Tightening that many bolts in a mechanic's stall won't meet the same spec as rolling it off the assembly line. I paid my hard earned money for a new car, and I expect a new car. Not a car with a dropped in Tranny 23 days after ownership.

I'm just done and fed up. It's ruined my Christmas Eve. I had a long road trip planned for the mountains next weekend, now that will probably be cancelled. Thanks Subaru.

EDIT....Here's some comic relief: I just got a call from the dealer's shuttle because he's at my house because he thought he was picking me up. First I've heard of that. They can't transfer a call, properly dealer prep a car, or coordinate a shuttle, and they're supposed to fix my car?
  • deadeye5deadeye5 Member Posts: 93
    Hope SOA and/or the Dealer does right for you..
    Owned my XT AT about the same time frame.What a bummer for you at Xmas time.. Hoping all comes out for the better for you--Keep us advised Ok ?

Deadeye
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    LOL! I think you're right Frank -- that magnitude 6.5 rocked my brain!

Ken