Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Latitude

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I got the Touran info from Motor Trend too. I really like the Toyota Ipsum in Japan, and the Wish looks nice too. Ditto the Latitude/Stream and the Grandis.
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    As the minivan has evolved into the "Grand" or extended minivan, which has pretty much become the norm now, it certainly seems that there is a void in the marketplace that could be filled by the new "true" mini vans or sport van/wagons or whatever you want to call them. The "Grand" vans do fill a need for anyone who has a large family or will be transporting many people or a lot of stuff regularly.....I have nothing against them personally. But I remember driving a friend's Grand Caravan once.....backing it out of a parking space, it felt like i was piloting the Queen Mary! Way too big for our needs. The Latitude/Wish/Grandis/Mazda4 and their ilk give you the best features of both minivans and wagons in a compact, efficient, economical package, with out the stigma of either. (Note to Mazda....lose the sliders on the Mazda4...conventional doors look and work better). Touran looks good (if somewhat plain)....the only thing I'd question is VW's reliability.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Wheels4 - Sounds like the original (pre 99) Ody. These are still sold in other markets.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I have a '96 Ody, and it really is just the right size for my family (3 kids). I don't know why it was such a flop (actually I do - this is the land of bigger is better) it is very practical, and handles very much like an Accord.

I will be happy to see more vehicles of this size.
  • odmanodman Member Posts: 309
    I have a '98 Ody and it is perfect for my family (2 little kids). It was a flop partly because it was more expensive than the Caravan/Voyager and smaller. As well, the majority of the van market wanted, and still does, bigger vans. In North America, the "super-sized fries" order wins hands-down. The fact that the 1st Gen Ody was far better quality, better handling, and more efficient, didn't help. Now, with a full-sized Ody catering to the big van market, the Latitude can be positioned more credibly as a sporty wagon/van rather than a family/cargo hauler.

We drove the current Ody, the Sienna and the domestics before buying our 1st Gen, and found them all to be too big and bulky for daily driving. Now, the new Sienna and Quest are growing even bigger. Time will tell what happens to the '05 Ody, but I don't see it getting any smaller.

Surely if Toyota can offer 5 SUVs in various sizes (RAV, Highlander, 4Runner, Sequoia, Land Cruiser plus Lexus) and Honda has the CR-V, Element, Pilot and MDX, both can offer more than one minivan. We all know they have the right cars in their product line ups in Japan, now they just need to put together the business case to bring them over.
    Ditto, Odman. If the Latitude/Grandis-sized sport vans are marketed like the old Ody (to compete directly with, and priced more than) the current crop of minivans, then they won't fly. If you slot them in the ever-widening gap between the small sport wagons and (maxi)minivans and price them accordingly, they will attract a wide range of buyers. Who's gonna step up to the plate first?!
    I believe the older Ody was also the first to offer four doors (though not sliders). It was more of a raised wagon, than anything else.

I'd like to see them bring it back, but I expect the Element may fill that niche. The Element can be configured for 5 seats and, with more extensive content, it could serve as an alternative to the long wheelbase minivans.
    Toyota has several small vans in Japan. It wouldn't cost much to bring them all over here. Would it? Honda's Latitude and Odyssey in Japan (Our Odyssey is called Lagreat in Japan) would make a great pair over here. Just call the Japan Odyssey well, Odyssey and the rename the current Odyssey to become Odyssey EXT or Odyssey XL or Grand Odyssey. The Latitude can stay as is. Toyota can bring the Wish as the Toyota Wish, and the Ipsum can become can become the new and smaller Previa or something like that. The Ipsum could go to Lexus, and then we could get some luxury mini-minivans!The Touran can go to Audi and VW, and the Grandis can share a platform with Chrysler. Then Chrysler could ax the short wheelbase Caravan/Voyager, rename the current Grand Caravan as Caravan, and then rebadge the Grandis as a Chrysler Voyager or Chrysler Cirrus. The Latitude could get some bucket seats, fancy trim, and then run over and grab some Acura badges, and viola! you have a luxury mini-minivan! The Wish could split from Toyota and run over to Scion, gain a Pioneer stereo, make the last row of seats optional, and then sell the thing for 16K! Any Objections?
    That may be a bit too much juggling, jchan2! But I'd definitely like to see some of these vehicles here. From Honda, the Jazz(Echo/Scion competitor), plus a five-door Civic hatch (to compete with the Matrix), and the Latitude/Stream (to slot in between the 5 door Civic and the Odyssey). From Toyota, the Wish (new name please!) to slot in between the Matrix and the Sienna. From Mazda...grow the next-gen MPV to match the Odyssey/Sienna/Quest and bring in the Mazda4 to slot in between the P5 and the MPV.
    From Nissan, the next gen Almera(Tino) which will share a platform with the Renault Megane Scenic.
    From Volkswagen....the Touran, to slot in between the Jetta Wagon and the upcoming Microbus.
    And from Mitsubishi, PLEASE bring the Grandis to slot in above the upcoming Lancer Sportback.
    It would be nice if every mini-minivan came over here, and then everybody started buying one. Look how much gasoline we'd save just by trading in our Excursions and Hummers for Latitudes and Grandis'. (We'd save a lot of money too)
    I agree with your marketing plan 100% for each of the manufacturers! The Jazz is incredible, and while we in Canukistan won't have Scion, Toyota's similar Echo HB is just about to be released and the entry level segment is really starting to heat up.

In the mini-minivan segment (called "monocab" in Europe), all those models would be easy to rationalize in terms of positioning against the bigger vans and smaller sport wagons. Most of the ones you list are Japanese. Since Renault is toast here, we won't ever see the Scenic, but GM could import the Opel Zafira (a great car) and VW should import both the Touran and the larger Sharan (it never made sense to me that as a sport company they continue to "sell" the boxy old Eurovan but refuse to bring the more refined and elegant Sharan). Also, Mercedes is planning to bring the next A-Class over, but you can be sure it will be more expensive than most of the iron here.

BTW: the '95 Ody had swing out doors but it was actually the '90-'95 Nissan Axxess (the Tino is a spiritual descendant) that offered the first set of dual (sliding) doors. As C&D once said, they gave "great, um, access to the Axxess!"
    I just hope that the mini-minivans make it over here in time for declining SUV sales.
  • nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    if they ever decided to bring it over. It is too "family" for the scion target demographics. I think it will be a great vehicle to fill a slot between the matrix and the sienna
  • wsibi04wsibi04 Member Posts: 17
    I like the Wish too but I think the Wish could actually take away sales from both the Matrix and Sienna. I'd certainly consider it if I was in the market for either the Matrix or Sienna. To me, it looks better than either one and combines their good features. I e-mailed Toyota a month ago regarding the possibility of the Wish coming here but was told that it's not in their plans and that there would probably be issues with meeting our safety standards. Who knows though? I also e-mailed VW about the Touran and they said it wouldn't be sold here but a month later, Motor Trend reported that it would be...
  • ferretwalrusferretwalrus Member Posts: 28
    If the Japanese repeat their success with smaller cars, the big three's last profitable redoubt will be overrun. The extinction of America's car giants is no longer just a bad dream: it is coming closer to reality.

http://www.economist.com/printedition/displaystory.cfm?Story_ID=1- 842437
    The article paints a pretty bleak picture, doesn't it? Really, though, the big 3 only have themselves to blame. One, for letting the profits of gas-guzzling pickups and SUV's support their business and two, for not having any competetive products in the car segements. With Corolla's, Civic's and the like on 4-5 year cycles, each generation better than the last, the big 3 counter with 20 year old Cavaliers and Sunfires, a recall-plagued Focus, and a less-than-refined Neon. Show me any domestic midsize that even comes close to Camry and Accord for quality, reliability, refinement, economy etc. Even D-C's minivan, one of the few things they do reasonably well, has been outclassed by the Odyssey and the new Sienna (and possibly the new Quest too). With the exception of the Escape, the domestics have nothing to counter the likes of the CR-V, RAV4 and Forester. Crossovers? None so far from Ford, only Chysler's over-priced Pacifica and from GM? The Aztec (say no more!) and it's slightly-better-rendition, the Rendezvous. We don't want gimmicks or excuses, just well-designed, well-executed products that can stand up against anything in the marketplace. Is that too much to ask from the big 3?
    Check out the Latitude and some of it's competition in this link:
    http://www.carview.co.jp/magazine/special/7seaterminivan/default.- asp
    Latitude overruns Toyota Wish, Subary Traviq, Mazda Premacy in: Engine and Performance,

while Toyata Wish wins in Interior and Utility. Overall, Wish no.1, Latitude No.2
    The Traviq is a re-badged (GM) Opel Zafira.
  • lostjrlostjr Member Posts: 26
    Message 204 has a Bloomberg item that says the Latitude/Stream is coming, but I think that item is actually from last fall. In other versions of the analyst's statement from last fall, it said the Latitude would be here this summer.
    Looks to me like Honda may have changed their plans, since it is obviously not here and there are no previews in any of the magazines. It would be nice if someone in the auto press would follow up with the analyst who made the original statement to see what is up. There has been total silence about this model since the fall statement.
    Still no word on Latitude for us but Honda sales are down in Japan......mostly due to an aging lineup....especially w.r.t. minivans. Toyota's Wish (almost an exact copy of the Latitude/Stream-
    but much nicer styling inside & out) is taking sales away from Honda, as will the new Mitsubishi Grandis. Apparently Honda is rushing a revamped Odyssey (like the original one they sold here) to market a year ahead of schedule and are giving facelifts to their other products. One would think the Stream/Latitude should get a total revamp next year or it will lose market share big time. Perhaps that's the one we'll get.
    Honda is building its new assembling plant in USA this year(2003), so do Toyota. Honda's strategy is to see how successful Element will achieve in US market, then decide whether to introduce Latitude. But one direction is certain: a bunch of "Cross Over" type vihecles will be imported to meet the strong appetite of so called "Y generation".
    I wouldn't think these two would really be considered to be in the same market. The Lat/Stream isn't very "funky". It looks more like a family vehicle than a "dorm room on wheels".

I suppose it is no accident that there are a numuber of CDN flags in this discussion, since traditionally Canadians have tended to buy one size down from Americans. Unfortunately I don't think the CDN market is big enough to make this happen.

Also interesting that inspite of the fact that there are many sizes of small vans in Japan, the Matrix/Vibe is completely different from any of them and was GM's idea to start with. The Japanese seem very reluctant to import these smaller vans.

Or even hatchbacks - even though young males go for hatchbacks. I don't understand why the two door hatchback Corolla wasn't part of Scion. But I am OT now.
  • jimjpsjimjps Member Posts: 146
    For what it's worth, here's my Latitude speculation. Honda certainly will not be importing Streams or making Streams in NA. The seats are a bit small for this market, the rear pillar styling is not right and it is a bit narrow. (None of this would keep me from buying one, but I guess I'm different). Also, they can't import and be price-competitive. The Latitude, if it ever sees the light of day, will share running gear with CRV/Element and as many existing NA parts as possible and it will be built in NA. Probably the new factory mentioned. It will be a few inches wider then Stream, but similar length and height and weight, because it needs to be pulled by the same Element/CRV engine. The styling will be "clean sheet of paper". Styling will probably be a bit more "daring" then traditional Honda and I can only hope that function and practicality are not greatly compromised.

Release: 2005 model year at the earliest.
    FWIW Honda registered its HR-V name in the US in January. This is an SUV sold in other markets that is smaller than the CRV, so there may be more options.

http://www.honda.co.jp/HR-V/
  • artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    I don't mind the HR-V but that would make 4 SUV's in Honda's lineup (3 of them small) Vs zero wagons, 1 large minivan and 1 (overpriced, under tired) hatch. I'd rather see the Jazz as an entry level hatch (5 door), the Civic 5 door, and the Latitude/Stream (redesigned as jimjps pointed out above)before any more SUV's.
    The HRV also comes in a 2 door model.... anyone thinking that the HRV could become a 2 door version of the CRV? I heard that the backseat in a 4 door HRV is pretty tight, so I don't think we'll see the 4 door. The 2 door makes sense to me. Why do you need a 4 door mini-SUV that competes with your own in-house products? I would just love to see the 5 door Jazz/Civic Hatch. and last but not least, the latitude could add some leather trim, make second row bucket seats, and send it to Acura while still making a Honda version, therefore justifying building a whole new plant to make an acura, the latitude, the jazz, the 5 door civic hatch, and the hr-v.
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    1. Honda will bring over the Stream as the 2005 Latitude (they'll show it at the Detroit International Auto Show in January 2004), but it will probably have a different interior than the JDM and European versions. It's more likely the third row of seats will be dropped in favor of a different interior with more space, and the likely drive train will be a 2.4-liter I-4 i-VTEC motor rated at 175 bhp, along with using the five-speed automatic from the current Accord.

2. In response, we are going to see Mitsubishi bring over the Grandis and VW bring over the Touran, but the US versions of these tall wagons will likely only have two rows of seats to accommodate American passenger sizes.

3. I wouldn't put it above Nissan to bring over a variant of the new version of the Renault Scenic to the US market. The Scenic most likely meets the tough crash standards of the European New Car Assessment Programme (NCAP) test, which is very close to the tests done by the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety (IIHS). Swap out the original Renault drivetrain with one from the current 2.5-liter I-4 engine used on the Nissan Altima, and that is the Nissan competitor to the Honda Latitude.
    I question the wisdom of offering these vehicles in 5 passenger versions......they'd only be truly comfortable for 4. If you offer them in 6 passenger versions (2+2+2) however, you'd have comfortable seating for 4 adults + 2 kids (or 1 kid + extra cargo....split-folding rearmost seat is a must) and the 6 passenger layout wouldn't encroach on the 7-8passenger regular minivan market.
    2+2+2

I like that idea.
    I like that idea. You could offer a three kid bench optional, a la Toyota Sienna and make them 7 seaters. (4 comfy adults, 3 comfy kids) I hate the idea of them being 5 seaters, because then there'd be no reason to buy a Latitude over a Fit/Jazz, no reason to buy a Wish over a Matrix, and most of all, no reason to buy a Grandis over a Lancer Sportback. And then every car maker would go to the expense of building (or importing) these mini-minivans for nothing in profits.
    What would be the pont of a 5 passenger minivan. It is no more functional than a station wagon. I do agree that the engine will probably be a 2.4l, not because it is needed, but because Americans think it is needed.

2+2+2 with a 2+3+2 option is exactly what the first gen Odyssey had. I think they should bring that model back, it has been greatly improved, and now may be the right time, especially since it does not have to compete with larger vans - The U.S. Odyssey can do that.
    is there anybody know if Honda will bring over the 2005 Latitude?

there's a rumor that Honda will show it at the Detroit International Auto Show in January 2004.
    quote:>>>What would be the pont of a 5 passenger minivan. It is no more functional than a station wagon.<<<

The extra height of the vanlets means a lot to those of us that haul stuff rather than people. Not that Honda has a station wagon anyway, last time I checked.
    Honda needs to bring back the jp. market Ody. Maybe call it Odyssey, call the next Odyssey Grand Odyssey, bring the Latitude over as a station wagon, and then there you have it. A wagon/van for everyone. A Latitude for a young family, an Odyssey for parents with 8-9 year olds, and the Grand Odyssey for teens until they can buy their own Honda.
    That sounds like a great plan, but it looks like we won't even be getting the Latitude. There's been absolutely no real news on that front for a long time and Honda has had many opportunities to show it or bring it over. Maybe the next generation might make it. As for the JDM Ody, don't hold your breath -- it failed to make a dent in the market the first time, so it likely won't now either. North Americans want big buses or sport wagons. The Latitude is close enough to the latter, but the JDM Ody would be lost between.

Having said that, I'd be first to line up to buy a JDM Ody to replace my 1st Gen, 1998 Ody, especially if it came with the available 3.0 V6 and the AWD system from the CR-V.
    I agree that it doesn't look like the Latitude is coming. They may feel that there is no point in doing it for young families, since the Element missed its demographic target and is being bought by a wide range of people, including the possible target groups for the Latitude.

I've been wondering if there won't be an "urban" version of the Element with painted fenders, like the one shown on the show circuit. It would still have to be basic, or it would get into CR-V range.

Given the demographic miss, I think you might be more likely to see a car below the Civic than a Latitude. I am sure they will be watching to see how the Scion (US) and Echo hatch (Canada) do with young people. The Echo hatch is cute (IMHO) and cheap.
    does look great, however I like Honda's Jazz even better (even better mileage than the already amazing Echo and a more practical vehicle as well).
    Still would like to see the Latitude though, perhaps restyled with some of the Jazz's styling cues. Either that, or a stretched, 6 passenger Element!
    Part of the reason (besides the size) the 1st gen ody did not do well was the engine. The new 2.4 liter would make a big difference. More power, smoother, and better fuel economy!
    The '95-'97s were underpowered with the 2.2, but then in '98 they upgraded to a 2.3 VTEC. It's rated power/torque wasn't much higher (10hp/10lb-ft) but it felt much stronger across the entire band and accelerates very nicely.

Of course, it was too late by then. They should have installed the 3.0 V6 from the outset.

I agree about the Element (and larger CR-V) taking the role of the Latitude.
    What kind of fuel economy are you getting with your '98 Ody, Odman?
    I haven't been tracking it lately (my wife drives it daily), but a year ago I measured 26-27 mpg (US gallons) driving from Toronto to Windsor at 130km/hr on the 401 in the middle of a July heat wave. We had 4 people plus cargo in the car and the AC blasting the whole time. 26 mpg under those conditions was very good, I thought. Routine city driving is probably low 20s, so I get better economy in city driving than most other minivans get on the highway.

I've read that the 98's actually get 1mpg better fuel economy than the '95-'97s. More power and better economy -- a winning combination!
    ....but first........26-27 mpg is quite good...I think that works out to over 32 mpg (Imperial) gallons.
    And now, for the "Jazzitude"....
    Sounds like Honda will replace it's slow-selling Stream with a big brother to the Jazz....should reach the UK by 2005...Please Honda, North America need this model too! I hope that it's in their development plans.
    Info is here:
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/ae_news_story.php?id=38267
    Need a print copy to see the sketch...the most recent copy I saw on a newstand was a May issue and we seem to get them irregularly here, so if we're lucky, a print copy of the current issue may show up by September! Hopefully, a picture will be posted somewhere on the net sooner. I guess Honda had to do something....the Stream isn't selling well in Europe (the competition is better) and is being trounced at home by the Wish and the new Grandis. I think the Jazz is better looking and has a more innovative and flexible interior, so a big brother to the Jazz would suit our family just fine.
    There seem to be some big holes appearing in Honda's current North American lineup. While the upper end of their lineup (in both size and price) seems to be ok (Megavan Odyssey > $30,000,
    Pilot & MDX > $40,000 + all number of Accord and Acura sedans), they have no entry level model to compete with Toyota's new Echo Hatch (and the Scion models in the US), no sport wagon to compete with the Matrix/Vibe/Aerio/Protege5, no hot compact (the embarassingly under-tired, under- powered Civic Si has badly lost any comparison test in this area) to compete with the Mini, Matrix XRS, Focus SVT, Sentra SE-R SpecV and the Mazdaspeed Proteges etc. etc.
    Remedies?....The versatile Honda Jazz would be an entry-level killer, the Si version of the Civic 5 door could hold it's own vs. the Matrix et al, and the 200 hp Civic Type R (with 17" wheels/tires) would be better equipped to compete in the hot sub-compact arena.
    And finally, the updated Stream/Latitude mentioned above, based on a stretched Jazz platform, would give Honda a very competitive entry in an emerging category...sportwagon mini-minivan crossover....for those of us who need more room than a Matrix but for whom a megavan (can they really be called minivans anymore?!) like an Odyssey/Sienna/Quest etc. is overkill...
    too big, to inefficient etc.
    It's time to be innovative, Honda, and fill those gaps or risk losing market share.
    I guess you can tell I'm a little hot on this, but it's been so long since we've had any new info on the Stream/Latitude that I can't help but get enthused! The Auto Express article mentioned a few engine choices, including the current 1.5 litre from the current Jazz......great for fuel economy but I don't know if it would cut it in a 6-7 passenger vehicle. The current Stream 2.0 litre/5 speed auto sportshift combo would probably be the minimum for North American acceptance, with the 2.4 litre CR-V/Element engine a viable option as well. Also said it would be slightly smaller than the Touran...hopefully not by too much....I'll try to dig up some Touran and current Stream dimensions.
    Great find Wheelz4, let me know if you see an image of it somewhere. Someone is bound to post it sooner or later. I'll see if I can find the magazine around too.

Based on the Jazz, and powered by a 1.5, it will definitely be much smaller than the Stream and unlikely to be a 7-seater. As you say, it would be Matrix-sized, which is smaller than I'd like but that's where the market is right now, and would be less likely to cannibalize Element/CR-V sales. Certainly Honda looks like the odd man out by not having a 5-door versatile sport hatch. Hopefully an AWD version will come, although I worry that 1.5 might not be enough juice in NA.

If you go back about 100 posts, you will see info on the dimensions of the Stream, or I can re-post.
    First of all, thanks for some real news.

The Touran is about 172" long compared to 180" for the Stream. VW says North America gets Touran for '05 but who Knows? Touran is a few inches lower and I think about 2 inches wider then Stream. See VW Touran forum under Wagons, I posted a few sites. I believe the last generation Scenic is similar to Touran but it is higher. I drove one of these and I loved it. I don't know about the new Scenic which has unfortunately has gone over-the-top styling-wise. My impression is that in the "Jazzitude" we are talking about a car that is less then Matrix size with a sub-Civic wheelbase. I like small cars, but the Stream size seems to be the void in Honda's North American line up. If there is a Stream-size Latitude in the future for us, which I now strongly doubt, I think it would basically be a fixed up Element without the poor door design and flying brick styling.
    Touran is about 6" shorter than the Stream (wheels are much more pushed out to the corners in the Touran vs fairly large front and rear overhangs in the Stream) but Touran is also 4" wider and 1.5" taller. The article said "slightly smaller than the Touran", so the difference is probably insignificant. The Jazz itself is extremely roomy for it's size (you can get a couple of mtn.bikes in standing up if you fold the seats) so I have no doubt a stretched Jazz could hold a couple of extra passengers, even if the rearmost seats are only kid-friendly (fine with me). Remember, it's not trying to compete with the megavans. I'd love to see the 2.0l Stream engine with the 5-speed auto/sportshift. The CR-V/Element/Accord 2.4l would be ok too...mileage should be comparable to or better than the Accord due to lighter weight and good aerodynamics. There's no way we'll get the current Stream now if it's on it's way out, but I sure hope North America is a market Honda doesn't ignore this time with this new model. The second row seats on the Jazz are really cool the various ways they can be folded, as is the totally flat floor and the mounting of the gas tank under the front seats. Add a split-folding 3rd seat and you've got a nifty, economical people/stuff mover. About the only complaint I've heard about the Jazz is that the handling/ride is not as good as it could be. Stretching the wheelbase and firming up the suspension somewhat (to carry the heavier loads) may cure that.
    If Honda does get back into the entry level market with the Jazz (to compete with the Echo hatch, Scion etc.), and I really think they should, it should pave the way for the "Jazzitude" as well, since they would share a lot of parts etc. Profits are not gigantic on entry level models, but with two models to share costs,it could be economically viable for Honda.
    Nice styling and packaging but it really seems a smaller chasis then the current Civic. With Jazz dimensions of 151"L, 60"H, 96.5" wheelbase and 66" width Honda has a lot of stretching to get it near the size of the bigger Civic-based Stream (180" long and 107" wheelbase).
This discussion has been closed.